Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: p75NTR
Description: nerve growth factor receptor
Alias: CD271, Gp80-LNGFR, TNFRSF16, p75(NTR), p75NTR, tumor necrosis factor receptor superfamily member 16, NGF receptor, TNFR superfamily, member 16, low affinity neurotrophin receptor p75NTR, low-affinity nerve growth factor receptor, p75 ICD
- Gentry J, Rutkoski N, Burke T, Carter B. A functional interaction between the p75 neurotrophin receptor interacting factors, TRAF6 and NRIF. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:16646-56 pubmed..These results suggest that NRIF and TRAF6 functionally interact to facilitate neurotrophin signaling through the p75 receptor. ..
- Filbin M. Myelin-associated inhibitors of axonal regeneration in the adult mammalian CNS. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2003;4:703-13 pubmed
- Mi S, Lee X, Shao Z, Thill G, Ji B, Relton J, et al. LINGO-1 is a component of the Nogo-66 receptor/p75 signaling complex. Nat Neurosci. 2004;7:221-8 pubmed..This effect on neurons was mimicked using an exogenously added human LINGO-1-Fc fusion protein. Together these observations suggest that LINGO-1 has an important role in CNS biology. ..
- Shonukan O, Bagayogo I, McCrea P, Chao M, Hempstead B. Neurotrophin-induced melanoma cell migration is mediated through the actin-bundling protein fascin. Oncogene. 2003;22:3616-23 pubmed..These results suggest a causal role for NGF-mediated dephosphorylation of serine 39 on fascin in mediating actin binding and subsequent melanoma cell migration. ..
- Nykjaer A, Willnow T, Petersen C. p75NTR--live or let die. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2005;15:49-57 pubmed..Here, we review recent progress in delineating the molecular networks that enable p75(NTR) to dictate life and death. ..
- Truzzi F, Marconi A, Lotti R, Dallaglio K, French L, Hempstead B, et al. Neurotrophins and their receptors stimulate melanoma cell proliferation and migration. J Invest Dermatol. 2008;128:2031-40 pubmed publisher..Moreover, melanoma cells express the low-affinity (p75NTR) and the high-affinity tyrosine kinase NT receptors (Trk)...
- Tcherpakov M, Bronfman F, Conticello S, Vaskovsky A, Levy Z, Niinobe M, et al. The p75 neurotrophin receptor interacts with multiple MAGE proteins. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:49101-4 pubmed..These findings indicate that diverse MAGE family members can interact with the p75 receptor and highlight type II MAGE proteins as a potential family of interactors for signaling proteins containing type II death domains. ..
- Cozza A, Melissari E, Iacopetti P, Mariotti V, Tedde A, Nacmias B, et al. SNPs in neurotrophin system genes and Alzheimer's disease in an Italian population. J Alzheimers Dis. 2008;15:61-70 pubmed..047). A trend to association with sAD and/or fAD was observed for other SNPs. Our results suggest that genetic variants of neurotrophin system genes might confer susceptibility to AD. ..
- Ceni C, Kommaddi R, Thomas R, Vereker E, Liu X, McPherson P, et al. The p75NTR intracellular domain generated by neurotrophin-induced receptor cleavage potentiates Trk signaling. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:2299-307 pubmed publisherThe p75 neurotrophin receptor (p75NTR) potentiates Trk signaling, but the underlying mechanisms remain uncertain. Here, we examine the relationship between p75NTR cleavage and Trk signaling...
- Kiyosue T, Kawano S, Matsubara R, Goto Y, Hirano M, Jinno T, et al. Immunohistochemical location of the p75 neurotrophin receptor (p75NTR) in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma. Int J Clin Oncol. 2013;18:154-63 pubmed publisherRecent studies have demonstrated that the p75 neurotrophin receptor (p75NTR) is a useful marker of keratinocyte stem cells...
- Mukai J, Hachiya T, Shoji Hoshino S, Kimura M, Nadano D, Suvanto P, et al. NADE, a p75NTR-associated cell death executor, is involved in signal transduction mediated by the common neurotrophin receptor p75NTR. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:17566-70 pubmedThe low affinity neurotrophin receptor p75NTR can mediate cell survival as well as cell death of neural cells by NGF and other neurotrophins...
- Charalampopoulos I, Vicario A, Pediaditakis I, Gravanis A, Simi A, Ibanez C. Genetic dissection of neurotrophin signaling through the p75 neurotrophin receptor. Cell Rep. 2012;2:1563-70 pubmed publisher..The p75 neurotrophin receptor (p75(NTR)), also known as TNFRSF16, is a key regulator of trophic and injury responses in the nervous system...
- Dou Y, Hagströmer L, Emtestam L, Johansson O. Increased nerve growth factor and its receptors in atopic dermatitis: an immunohistochemical study. Arch Dermatol Res. 2006;298:31-7 pubmed..These findings indicate that NGF and its receptors may contribute to the neurohyperplasia of AD. ..
- Chao M, Bothwell M, Ross A, Koprowski H, Lanahan A, Buck C, et al. Gene transfer and molecular cloning of the human NGF receptor. Science. 1986;232:518-21 pubmed..Mouse L cell transformants have been generated that stably express the human NGF receptor gene transfer with total human DNA...
- Bibel M, Hoppe E, Barde Y. Biochemical and functional interactions between the neurotrophin receptors trk and p75NTR. EMBO J. 1999;18:616-22 pubmed..These results indicate a close proximity of the two neurotrophin receptors within cell membranes, and suggest that the signalling pathways they initiate may interact soon after their activation. ..
- Casademunt E, Carter B, Benzel I, Frade J, Dechant G, Barde Y. The zinc finger protein NRIF interacts with the neurotrophin receptor p75(NTR) and participates in programmed cell death. EMBO J. 1999;18:6050-61 pubmed..These results indicate that NRIF is an intracellular p75(NTR)-binding protein transducing cell death signals during development. ..
- Chittka A, Chao M. Identification of a zinc finger protein whose subcellular distribution is regulated by serum and nerve growth factor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:10705-10 pubmed..A direct correlation between nuclear expression of SC-1 with the loss of BrdUrd incorporation was observed. These results imply that SC-1 may be involved in events associated with growth arrest. ..
- Yamashita T, Tucker K, Barde Y. Neurotrophin binding to the p75 receptor modulates Rho activity and axonal outgrowth. Neuron. 1999;24:585-93 pubmedWhile the neurotrophin receptor p75NTR is expressed by many developing neurons, its function in cells escaping elimination by programmed cell death remains unclear...
- Fournier A, GrandPre T, Strittmatter S. Identification of a receptor mediating Nogo-66 inhibition of axonal regeneration. Nature. 2001;409:341-6 pubmed..Nogo-66 receptor expression is sufficient to impart Nogo-66 axonal inhibition to unresponsive neurons. Disruption of the interaction between Nogo-66 and its receptor provides the potential for enhanced recovery after human CNS injury. ..
- Lee R, Kermani P, Teng K, Hempstead B. Regulation of cell survival by secreted proneurotrophins. Science. 2001;294:1945-8 pubmed..ProNGF is a high-affinity ligand for p75(NTR) with high affinity and induced p75NTR-dependent apoptosis in cultured neurons with minimal activation of TrkA-mediated differentiation or survival...
- Yamashita T, Higuchi H, Tohyama M. The p75 receptor transduces the signal from myelin-associated glycoprotein to Rho. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:565-70 pubmed..Ganglioside GT1b, which is one of the binding partners of MAG, specifically associates with p75(NTR). Thus, p75(NTR) and GT1b may form a receptor complex for MAG to transmit the inhibitory signals in neurons. ..
- Wang K, Kim J, Sivasankaran R, Segal R, He Z. P75 interacts with the Nogo receptor as a co-receptor for Nogo, MAG and OMgp. Nature. 2002;420:74-8 pubmed..Thus, interfering with p75 and its downstream signalling pathways may allow lesioned axons to overcome most of the inhibitory activities associated with central nervous system myelin. ..
- Khursigara G, Bertin J, Yano H, Moffett H, DiStefano P, Chao M. A prosurvival function for the p75 receptor death domain mediated via the caspase recruitment domain receptor-interacting protein 2. J Neurosci. 2001;21:5854-63 pubmed..These results indicate that adaptor proteins like RIP2 can provide a bifunctional switch for cell survival or cell death decisions mediated by the p75 neurotrophin receptor. ..
- Ramos A, Ho W, Forte S, Dickson K, Boutilier J, Favell K, et al. Hypo-osmolar stress induces p75NTR expression by activating Sp1-dependent transcription. J Neurosci. 2007;27:1498-506 pubmedInjury-induced expression of the p75 neurotrophin receptor (p75NTR) in the CNS facilitates neuronal apoptosis and prevents neuronal regrowth, but the mechanisms regulating p75NTR expression are poorly characterized...
- Micera A, Lambiase A, Stampachiacchiere B, Bonini S, Bonini S, Levi Schaffer F. Nerve growth factor and tissue repair remodeling: trkA(NGFR) and p75(NTR), two receptors one fate. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 2007;18:245-56 pubmed..In summary, these novel findings on the potential pro-healing capacity of NGF might open new possibilities for this growth factor in modulating the healing processes in several pathological conditions. ..
- Yamashita T, Tohyama M. The p75 receptor acts as a displacement factor that releases Rho from Rho-GDI. Nat Neurosci. 2003;6:461-7 pubmed..This peptide has potential as a therapeutic agent against the inhibitory cues that block regeneration in the central nervous system. ..
- Søland T, Brusevold I, Koppang H, Schenck K, Bryne M. Nerve growth factor receptor (p75 NTR) and pattern of invasion predict poor prognosis in oral squamous cell carcinoma. Histopathology. 2008;53:62-72 pubmed publisher..The combination of p75(NTR) expression and the pattern of invasion strongly increased precision in the identification of tumours with poor disease-free survival. ..
- Okumura T, Shimada Y, Imamura M, Yasumoto S. Neurotrophin receptor p75(NTR) characterizes human esophageal keratinocyte stem cells in vitro. Oncogene. 2003;22:4017-26 pubmed
- Khursigara G, Orlinick J, Chao M. Association of the p75 neurotrophin receptor with TRAF6. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:2597-600 pubmed..These results indicate that TRAF6 can potentially function as a signal transducer for NGF actions through the p75 receptor. ..
- Boiko A, Razorenova O, van de Rijn M, Swetter S, Johnson D, Ly D, et al. Human melanoma-initiating cells express neural crest nerve growth factor receptor CD271. Nature. 2010;466:133-7 pubmed publisher..tumour stem cells (MTSCs, for melanoma tumour stem cells) can be isolated prospectively as a highly enriched CD271(+) MTSC population using a process that maximizes viable cell transplantation...
- Rogers M, Beare A, Zola H, Rush R. CD 271 (P75 neurotrophin receptor). J Biol Regul Homeost Agents. 2008;22:1-6 pubmedb>P75NTR (or CD271) is a member of the Tumor Necrosis Factor receptor (TNFR) super family of transmembrane proteins that share significant homology in their extracellular domains...
- Caporali A, Pani E, Horrevoets A, Kraenkel N, Oikawa A, Sala Newby G, et al. Neurotrophin p75 receptor (p75NTR) promotes endothelial cell apoptosis and inhibits angiogenesis: implications for diabetes-induced impaired neovascularization in ischemic limb muscles. Circ Res. 2008;103:e15-26 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data newly demonstrate the antiangiogenic action of p75(NTR) and open new avenues for the therapeutic use of p75(NTR) inhibition to combat diabetes-induced microvascular liabilities. ..
- Park J, Yiu G, Kaneko S, Wang J, Chang J, He X, et al. A TNF receptor family member, TROY, is a coreceptor with Nogo receptor in mediating the inhibitory activity of myelin inhibitors. Neuron. 2005;45:345-51 pubmed..Our results implicate TROY in mediating myelin inhibition, offering new insights into the molecular mechanisms of regeneration failure in the adult nervous system. ..
- Wang W, Zhao H, Kang E, Chen Y, Ni C, Zhang S, et al. Patterns of expression and function of the p75(NGFR) protein in pancreatic cancer cells and tumours. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2009;35:826-32 pubmed publisher..01). Our findings indicate that p75(NGFR) expression may be involved in the perineural invasion of pancreatic cancer cells, and the mechanism might be through mediating the chemoattraction of cancer cells for neural tissues. ..
- Gehler S, Gallo G, Veien E, Letourneau P. p75 neurotrophin receptor signaling regulates growth cone filopodial dynamics through modulating RhoA activity. J Neurosci. 2004;24:4363-72 pubmed..We investigated the role of the p75 neurotrophin receptor (p75NTR) in mediating neurotrophin-induced increases in filopodial length...
- Kuwako K, Taniura H, Yoshikawa K. Necdin-related MAGE proteins differentially interact with the E2F1 transcription factor and the p75 neurotrophin receptor. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:1703-12 pubmed..These results suggest that necdin and MAGE-G1 target both E2F1 and p75 to regulate cell viability during brain development. ..
- Imai T, Tamai K, Oizumi S, Oyama K, Yamaguchi K, Sato I, et al. CD271 defines a stem cell-like population in hypopharyngeal cancer. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e62002 pubmed publisher..Here, we report that the CD271(+) population sorted from xenotransplanted HPCs possesses an enhanced tumor-initiating capability in ..
- Civenni G, Walter A, Kobert N, Mihic Probst D, Zipser M, Belloni B, et al. Human CD271-positive melanoma stem cells associated with metastasis establish tumor heterogeneity and long-term growth. Cancer Res. 2011;71:3098-109 pubmed publisher..of neural crest derivatives and contains multipotent cells that express the neural crest stem cell markers CD271(p75(NTR)) and Sox10...
- Nakamura T, Endo K, Kinoshita S. Identification of human oral keratinocyte stem/progenitor cells by neurotrophin receptor p75 and the role of neurotrophin/p75 signaling. Stem Cells. 2007;25:628-38 pubmed..Our in vivo and in vitro findings indicate that p75 is a potential marker of oral keratinocyte stem/progenitor cells and that some neurotrophin/p75 signaling affects cell growth and survival. ..
- Wong S, Henley J, Kanning K, Huang K, Bothwell M, Poo M. A p75(NTR) and Nogo receptor complex mediates repulsive signaling by myelin-associated glycoprotein. Nat Neurosci. 2002;5:1302-8 pubmed..Thus we conclude that p75(NTR) is a co-receptor of NgR for MAG signaling and a potential therapeutic target for promoting nerve regeneration. ..
- Costantini C, Rossi F, Formaggio E, Bernardoni R, Cecconi D, Della Bianca V. Characterization of the signaling pathway downstream p75 neurotrophin receptor involved in beta-amyloid peptide-dependent cell death. J Mol Neurosci. 2005;25:141-56 pubmed..Previous studies have shown that Abeta peptide can damage neurons by activating the p75 neurotrophin receptor (p75NTR). However, the signaling pathway leading to neuronal cell death is not completely understood...
- Kidger E, Stahlschmidt J, Garthwaite M, Fulford S, Southgate J, Baker S. A Rare Urachal Cyst in a Case of Ketamine-induced Cystitis Provides Mechanistic Insights. Urology. 2016;90:223.e1-7 pubmed publisher..The most likely excreted factors responsible are ketamine and potentially its metabolites. This study reinforces the importance of complete cessation of ketamine use in patients with ketamine-induced cystitis. ..
- Toli D, Buttigieg D, Blanchard S, Lemonnier T, Lamotte D Incamps B, Bellouze S, et al. Modeling amyotrophic lateral sclerosis in pure human iPSc-derived motor neurons isolated by a novel FACS double selection technique. Neurobiol Dis. 2015;82:269-280 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate the potential of FACS-isolated human iPSc-derived motor neurons for improved disease modeling and drug testing in ALS and related motor neuron diseases. ..
- Yigit N, Covey S, Barouk Fox S, Turker T, Geyer J, Orazi A. Nuclear factor-erythroid 2, nerve growth factor receptor, and CD34-microvessel density are differentially expressed in primary myelofibrosis, polycythemia vera, and essential thrombocythemia. Hum Pathol. 2015;46:1217-25 pubmed publisher..whether differences in the expression of nuclear factor-erythroid 2 (NF-E2), nerve growth factor receptor (NGFR; CD271), CD34, CD68, p53, CD3, CD20, and CD138 by immunohistochemistry could be useful in separating among them...
- Gibon J, Kang M, Aliaga A, Sharif B, Rosa Neto P, Séguéla P, et al. Towards the PET radiotracer for p75 neurotrophin receptor: [(11)C]LM11A-24 shows biological activity in vitro, but unfavorable ex vivo and in vivo profile. Bioorg Med Chem. 2016;24:4759-4765 pubmed publisher..Despite some weak interaction with CNS tissues, the radiolabeled compound showed unfavorable in vivo profile presumably due to high hydrophilicity. ..
- Frydenlund N, Leone D, Mitchell B, Abbas O, Dhingra J, Mahalingam M. Perineural invasion in cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma: role of immunohistochemistry, anatomical site, and the high-affinity nerve growth factor receptor TrkA. Hum Pathol. 2015;46:1209-16 pubmed publisher..Significantly more common TrkA expression in cSCCs of the H&N argues in favor of heterogeneity among SCCs from different anatomical sites. ..
- Bao X, Shi J, Xie F, Liu Z, Yu J, Chen W, et al. Proteolytic Release of the p75NTR Intracellular Domain by ADAM10 Promotes Metastasis and Resistance to Anoikis. Cancer Res. 2018;78:2262-2276 pubmed publisher..b>Significance: These findings identify the ADAM10-p75NTR ICD-TRAF6-NFÎºB signaling axis as a potential candidate for cancer therapy. Cancer Res; 78(9); 2262-76. Â©2018 AACR. ..
- Zhou L, Xiong J, Ruan C, Ruan Y, Liu D, Bao J, et al. ProBDNF/p75NTR/sortilin pathway is activated in peripheral blood of patients with alcohol dependence. Transl Psychiatry. 2018;7:2 pubmed publisher..The protein levels of proBDNF, p75NTR, sortilin, mBDNF, TrkB and mRNA levels of BDNF, p75NTR, sortilin, and TrkB were detected in the peripheral blood ..
- Makkerh J, Ceni C, Auld D, Vaillancourt F, Dorval G, Barker P. p75 neurotrophin receptor reduces ligand-induced Trk receptor ubiquitination and delays Trk receptor internalization and degradation. EMBO Rep. 2005;6:936-41 pubmed..Coexpression of p75 NTR attenuated ubiquitination of TrkA and TrkB and delayed nerve growth factor-induced TrkA receptor internalization ..
- Do H, Park H, Sohn E, Kim B, Um S, Kwak J, et al. Ethanol induces cell cycle arrest and triggers apoptosis via Sp1-dependent p75NTR expression in human neuroblastoma cells. Cell Biol Toxicol. 2013;29:365-80 pubmed publisher..Recent studies indicate that the p75 neurotrophin receptor (p75NTR) has a critical role in the regulation of neuronal survival...
- Maranesi M, Parillo F, Leonardi L, Rebollar P, Alonso B, Petrucci L, et al. Expression of nerve growth factor and its receptors in the uterus of rabbits: functional involvement in prostaglandin synthesis. Domest Anim Endocrinol. 2016;56:20-8 pubmed publisher..NGF/NTRK1 increases PGF2? and PGE2 productions by upregulating NOS and PGE2-9-K activities, whereas NGF/NGFR augments only PGF2? secretion, through an intracellular mechanism that is still unknown...
- Zanin J, ABERCROMBIE E, Friedman W. Proneurotrophin-3 promotes cell cycle withdrawal of developing cerebellar granule cell progenitors via the p75 neurotrophin receptor. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..In the absence of p75(NTR), GCPs continue to proliferate beyond their normal period, resulting in a larger cerebellum that persists into adulthood, with consequent motor deficits. ..
- Xiong J, Zhou L, Yang M, Lim Y, Zhu Y, Fu D, et al. ProBDNF and its receptors are upregulated in glioma and inhibit the growth of glioma cells in vitro. Neuro Oncol. 2013;15:990-1007 pubmed publisher..neurotrophin receptor (NTR) is a characteristic of high-grade glioma, but the potential significance of increased p75NTR in this tumor is not fully understood...
- Ahrari I, Attar A, Zarandi N, Zakerinia M, Maharlooei M, Monabati A. [CD271 enrichment does not help isolating mesenchymal stromal cells from]. Mol Biol (Mosk). 2013;47:787-95 pubmed..Enrichment techniques such as CD133 isolation have increased the success rates. CD271 is a well-known marker for enrichment of MSCs from bone marrow (BM)...
- Meabon J, de Laat R, Ieguchi K, Wiley J, Hudson M, Bothwell M. LINGO-1 protein interacts with the p75 neurotrophin receptor in intracellular membrane compartments. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:9511-20 pubmed publisher..These findings contradict models postulating functional LINGO-1Â·p75(NTR)Â·NgR complexes in the plasma membrane. ..
- Otaibi S, Jukic D, Drogowski L, Bhawan J, Radfar A. NGFR (p75) expression in cutaneous scars; Further evidence for a potential pitfall in evaluation of reexcision scars of cutaneous neoplasms, in particular desmoplastic melanoma. Am J Dermatopathol. 2011;33:65-71 pubmed publisher..The antibody against NGFR (low affinity nerve growth factor receptor, also known as p75) stains cells of desmoplastic melanoma with high sensitivity; however, the ..
- Giraud S, Lautrette C, Bessette B, Decourt C, Mathonnet M, Jauberteau M. Modulation of Fas-induced apoptosis by p75 neurotrophin receptor in a human neuroblastoma cell line. Apoptosis. 2005;10:1271-83 pubmed..Moreover, a caspase-8 inhibitor suppressed the protective effect of the concomitant BDNF and Fas ligand stimulation, suggesting that p75(NTR) and Fas receptors could share common signalling pathways. ..
- Zhang J, Zhao J, Bai Y, Huang L, Yu W, Li X. Effects of p75 neurotrophin receptor on regulating hypoxia-induced angiogenic factors in retinal pigment epithelial cells. Mol Cell Biochem. 2015;398:123-34 pubmed publisher..It is indicated that p75(NTR) could be a potential therapeutic target for RPE hypoxia or oxidative stress diseases. ..
- Dikic I, Batzer A, Blaikie P, Obermeier A, Ullrich A, Schlessinger J, et al. Shc binding to nerve growth factor receptor is mediated by the phosphotyrosine interaction domain. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:15125-9 pubmed..Here we report that the PI domain of Shc directly binds to tyrosine 490 on the autophosphorylated NGF receptor. The PI domain specifically recognizes an I/LXN-PXpY motif (where p indicates phosphorylation) as determined by ..
- Barnes M, Eberhart C, Collins R, Tihan T. Expression of p75NTR in fetal brain and medulloblastomas: evidence of a precursor cell marker and its persistence in neoplasia. J Neurooncol. 2009;92:193-201 pubmed publisherp75 neurotrophin receptor (p75NTR) is a member of the tumor necrosis factor superfamily, and plays a significant role in nervous system development...
- Sinnappah Kang N, Mrak R, Paulsen D, Marchetti D. Heparanase expression and TrkC/p75NTR ratios in human medulloblastoma. Clin Exp Metastasis. 2006;23:55-63 pubmed..Of note, TrkC was significantly present in 100% of MB female patients (P = 0.0313; n = 6). These studies support the role of p75(NTR) and HPSE-1 as two novel molecular determinants involved in the biology and clinical progression of MB. ..
- Wang T, Tian C, Sun J, Wang H, Zhang B, Chen C, et al. Down-regulation of brain-derived neurotrophic factor and its signaling components in the brain tissues of scrapie experimental animals. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2016;79:318-326 pubmed publisher..There are two distinct classes of glycosylated receptors, neurotrophin receptor p75 (p75NTR) and tropomyosin-related kinase (Trk), that can bind to BDNF...