Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: OSTBETA
Description: organic solute transporter beta
Alias: OSTB, OST-beta, organic solute transporter subunit beta
- The heteromeric organic solute transporter alpha-beta, Ostalpha-Ostbeta, is an ileal basolateral bile acid transporterPaul A Dawson
Department of Internal Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
J Biol Chem 280:6960-8. 2005..to identify a new candidate basolateral bile acid carrier, the heteromeric organic solute transporter (Ost)alpha-Ostbeta. By Northern blot analysis, Ostalpha and Ostbeta mRNA was detected only in mouse kidney and intestine, mirroring ..
- Upregulation of a basolateral FXR-dependent bile acid efflux transporter OSTalpha-OSTbeta in cholestasis in humans and rodentsJames L Boyer
Liver Center, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 290:G1124-30. 2006Organic solute transporter (OSTalpha-OSTbeta) is a novel heteromeric bile acid and sterol transporter expressed at the basolateral membranes of epithelium in the ileum, kidney, and liver...
- Protein-protein interactions and membrane localization of the human organic solute transporterAn Qiang Sun
Dept of Pediatrics, Box 1664, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1 Gustave L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029 6574, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 292:G1586-93. 2007..The extracellular amino-terminal fragment of hOST-alpha may contain important information for the assembly of the heterodimer and trafficking to the plasma membrane...
- OSTalpha-OSTbeta: a major basolateral bile acid and steroid transporter in human intestinal, renal, and biliary epitheliaNazzareno Ballatori
Department of Environmental Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine, NY 14642, USA
Hepatology 42:1270-9. 2005..subcellular localization and mechanism of transport of the heteromeric organic solute transporter (OST) OSTalpha-OSTbeta was examined in human and rodent epithelia...
- Reduced ileal expression of OSTalpha-OSTbeta in non-obese gallstone diseaseOlga Renner
Dr Margarete Fischer Bosch Institute of Clinical Pharmacology Stuttgart and University of Tübingen, Germany
J Lipid Res 49:2045-54. 2008..The role of the recently identified organic solute transporters alpha and beta (OSTalpha, OSTbeta) in gallstone pathogenesis remains unclear...
- Ostalpha-Ostbeta is required for bile acid and conjugated steroid disposition in the intestine, kidney, and liverNazzareno Ballatori
Department of Environmental Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine, 575 Elmwood Ave, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 295:G179-G186. 2008..solute transporter (Ost)-alpha subunit of the heteromeric organic solute and steroid transporter, Ostalpha-Ostbeta, were generated and were found to be viable and fertile but exhibited small intestinal hypertrophy and growth ..
- N-Glycosylation of the alpha subunit does not influence trafficking or functional activity of the human organic solute transporter alpha/betaCarol J Soroka
Department of Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
BMC Cell Biol 9:57. 2008The organic solute transporter (OSTalpha-OSTbeta) is a heteromeric transporter that is expressed on the basolateral membrane of epithelium in intestine, kidney, liver, testis and adrenal gland and facilitates efflux of bile acids and ..
- Compensatory induction of liver efflux transporters in response to ANIT-induced liver injury is impaired in FXR-null miceYue J Cui
Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology and Therapeutics, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas 66160, USA
Toxicol Sci 110:47-60. 2009..polypeptide [Oatp] 1a1, Oatp1a4, Oatp1b2) and efflux transporters (organic solute transporter [Ost] alpha, Ostbeta, multidrug resistance-associated protein [Mrp] 3, Mrp4), as well as canalicular transporters (bile salt export ..
- Bile acid transportersPaul A Dawson
Department of Internal Medicine and Department of Pathology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
J Lipid Res 50:2340-57. 2009..effluxed into the portal circulation by the recently indentified heteromeric organic solute transporter, OSTalpha-OSTbeta. In addition to the hepatocyte and enterocyte, subgroups of these bile acid transporters are expressed by the ..
- Expression and regulation of the bile acid transporter, OSTalpha-OSTbeta in rat and human intestine and liverAnsar A Khan
Pharmacokinetics, Toxicology and Targeting, Department of Pharmacy, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Biopharm Drug Dispos 30:241-58. 2009The regulation of the OSTalpha and OSTbeta expression was studied in the rat jejunum, ileum, colon and liver and in human ileum and liver by ligands for the farnesoid X receptor (FXR), pregnane X receptor (PXR), vitamin D receptor (VDR) ..
- Functional complementation between a novel mammalian polygenic transport complex and an evolutionarily ancient organic solute transporter, OSTalpha-OSTbetaDavid J Seward
Department of Environmental Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Biol Chem 278:27473-82. 2003..transporter (OST) that is generated when two novel gene products are co-expressed, namely human OSTalpha and OSTbeta or mouse OSTalpha and OSTbeta...
- 1alpha,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D(3) triggered vitamin D receptor and farnesoid X receptor-like effects in rat intestine and liver in vivoEdwin C Y Chow
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Toronto, Canada
Biopharm Drug Dispos 30:457-75. 2009..heterodimer partner (SHP), the fibroblast growth factor 15 (FGF15), organic solute transporter (Ostalpha and Ostbeta) mRNA and Asbt protein expressions in the ileum. About 50% higher portal bile acid concentration (65.1+/-14...
- Mouse organic solute transporter alpha deficiency enhances renal excretion of bile acids and attenuates cholestasisCarol J Soroka
Yale Liver Center, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8019, USA
Hepatology 51:181-90. 2010Organic solute transporter alpha-beta (Ostalpha-Ostbeta) is a heteromeric bile acid and sterol transporter that facilitates the enterohepatic and renal-hepatic circulation of bile acids...
- Organic solute transporter, OSTalpha-OSTbeta: its role in bile acid transport and cholestasisCarol J Soroka
Department of Internal Medicine and Yale Liver Center, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven Connecticut 06520 8019, USA
Semin Liver Dis 30:178-85. 2010Organic solute transporter alpha-beta (OSTalpha-OSTbeta) is a unique heteromeric transporter localized to the basolateral membrane of epithelial cells involved in sterol transport...
- Getting the mOST from OST: Role of organic solute transporter, OSTalpha-OSTbeta, in bile acid and steroid metabolismPaul A Dawson
Department of Internal Medicine, Section on Gastroenterology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Medical Center Blvd, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1801:994-1004. 2010..In polarized epithelial cells, OSTalpha-OSTbeta protein is localized on the basolateral membrane and functions in the export or uptake of bile acids and steroids...
- Neurosteroid transport by the organic solute transporter OSTα-OSTβFang Fang
Department of Environmental Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Neurochem 115:220-33. 2010..These results demonstrate that OSTα-OSTβ is localized to steroidogenic cells of the brain and adrenal gland, and that it modulates DHEA/DHEAS homeostasis, suggesting that it may contribute to neurosteroid action...
- Exploring possible mechanisms for primary bile acid malabsorption: evidence for different regulation of ileal bile acid transporter transcripts in chronic diarrhoeaSara Balesaria
Gastroenterology Section, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, Hammersmith Hospital, Du Cane Road, London, UK
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 20:413-22. 2008..symbol FABP6), and secondly, determining the expression of ileal mucosal transcripts for the apical sodium-linked bile acid transporter (ASBT), IBABP, the putative basolateral transporters, OSTalpha and OSTbeta, and regulatory factors.
- The organic solute transporter alpha-beta, Ostalpha-Ostbeta, is essential for intestinal bile acid transport and homeostasisAnuradha Rao
Department of Internal Medicine, Section on Gastroenterology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:3891-6. 2008..Although the heteromeric organic solute transporter Ostalpha-Ostbeta exhibits many properties predicted for a candidate intestinal basolateral bile acid transporter, the in vivo ..
- Heterodimerization, trafficking and membrane topology of the two proteins, Ost alpha and Ost beta, that constitute the organic solute and steroid transporterNa Li
Department of Environmental Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Biochem J 407:363-72. 2007..proteins and transfected HEK-293 (human embryonic kidney-293) cells revealed that the two proteins, Ostalpha and Ostbeta, which generate the organic-solute transporter are able to immunoprecipitate each other, indicating a heteromeric ..
- Isolation of an organic-solvent-tolerant cholesterol-transforming Bacillus species, BC1, from coastal sedimentYogita Sardessai
Goa College of Pharmacy, Panjim, Goa, India
Mar Biotechnol (NY) 5:116-8. 2003..This problem can be overcome by using organic-solvent-tolerant bacteria (OSTB), which can carry out the desired bioconversions in an organic-solvent-saturated system...
- Biology of a novel organic solute and steroid transporter, OSTalpha-OSTbetaNazzareno Ballatori
Department of Environmental Medicine, Box EHSC, University of Rochester School of Medicine, 575 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 230:689-98. 2005..TM) domain protein (OSTalpha) and a putative 128-amino acid, single-TM domain ancillary polypeptide (OSTbeta)...
- FXR regulates organic solute transporters alpha and beta in the adrenal gland, kidney, and intestineHans Lee
Department of Biological Chemistry, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Lipid Res 47:201-14. 2006..putative FXR target genes were identified, including the organic solute transporters alpha and beta (OSTalpha and OSTbeta)...
- The nuclear receptor for bile acids, FXR, transactivates human organic solute transporter-alpha and -beta genesJean Francois Landrier
Laboratory of Molecular Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 290:G476-85. 2006..enterocytes, bile acids are extruded into portal blood by the heterodimeric organic solute transporter OSTalpha/OSTbeta. Although the transport function of OSTalpha/OSTbeta has been characterized, little is known about the regulation ..
- Regulation of the mouse organic solute transporter alpha-beta, Ostalpha-Ostbeta, by bile acidsTamara Frankenberg
Department of Pediatrics, Mt Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 290:G912-22. 2006..responsible for bile acid regulation of mouse intestinal organic solute transporter alpha-beta (Ostalpha-Ostbeta) expression were investigated...
- Bile acids induce ileal damage during experimental necrotizing enterocolitisMelissa D Halpern
Department of Pediatrics, Steele Children s Research Center, University of Arizona, Tucson, 85724, USA
Gastroenterology 130:359-72. 2006..While the effect of bile acids (BAs) on intestinal mucosal injury is known, we investigated the contribution of BAs during the development of NEC in neonatal rats...
- OATP8/1B3-mediated cotransport of bile acids and glutathione: an export pathway for organic anions from hepatocytes?Oscar Briz
Research Unit, University Hospital, Salamanca, Spain
J Biol Chem 281:30326-35. 2006..organic anions in hepatocytes is reduced by transporters (multidrug resistance-associated proteins and OSTalpha-OSTbeta) able to extrude them across the basolateral membrane...
- Inhibition of the intestinal absorption of bile acids using cationic derivatives: mechanism and repercussionsMarta Vicens
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Campus Miguel de Unamuno, University of Salamanca, 37007 Salamanca, Spain
Biochem Pharmacol 73:394-404. 2007..bile acid pool size, which was accompanied by up-regulation of hepatic Cyp7a1 and Hmgcr and intestinal Ostalpha/Ostbeta. A tendency towards a decreased expression of hepatic Ntcp and an enhanced expression of intestinal Asbt was also ..
- LXR alpha transactivates mouse organic solute transporter alpha and beta via IR-1 elements shared with FXRMasae Okuwaki
Department of Pharmacy, The University of Tokyo Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Tokyo 113 8655, Japan
Pharm Res 24:390-8. 2007..In the present study, the mechanism governing the transcriptional regulation of their expression was investigated...
- Ontogenic development-associated changes in the expression of genes involved in rat bile acid homeostasisSusana Cuesta de Juan
Laboratory of Experimental Hepatology and Drug Targeting, Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red for Hepatology and Gastroenterology Research CIBERehd, University of Salamanca, Salamanca, Spain
J Lipid Res 48:1362-70. 2007..polypeptide, apical sodium-dependent bile acid transporter, and organic solute transporter alpha/beta (Ostalpha/Ostbeta)], and nuclear receptors [fetoprotein transcription factor (Ftf), farnesoid X receptor (Fxr), small heterodimer ..
- Hepatoprotective role of PXR activation and MRP3 in cholic acid-induced cholestasisS Teng
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Br J Pharmacol 151:367-76. 2007..As PXR alters the expression of numerous hepatic bile acid transporters, we sought to delineate their potential role in hepatoprotection...
- Pleiotropic functions of the organic solute transporter Ostα-OstβNazzareno Ballatori
Department of Environmental Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, N Y, USA
Dig Dis 29:13-7. 2011..The present report summarizes the evidence for a pleiotropic role of Ostα-Ostβ in different tissues...
- Functions of the Human OST-alpha and OST-beta ProteinsNazzareno Ballatori; Fiscal Year: 2010..Such therapeutics could be of benefit in many human conditions related to imbalances in bile acid or lipid homeostasis. ..
- Training in Environment ToxicologyNazzareno Ballatori; Fiscal Year: 2007..D. trainees starting in August 2002, and 23 postdoctoral fellows currently in training. The present application requests an additional five years of funding for 18 predoctoral and 3 postdoctoral trainees per year. ..
- FUNCTIONS OF THE HEPATIC GAMMA-GLUTAMYL CYCLENazzareno Ballatori; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- METHYLMERCURY TRANSPORT ACROSS CELL MEMBRANESNazzareno Ballatori; Fiscal Year: 2005..Evaluate the molecular mechanism by which NAC stimulates renal excretion of MeHg. IV. Test the hypothesis that urinary excretion of MeHg following an NAC oral challenge may be used as a new biomarker of MeHg exposure. ..
- METHYLMERCURY TRANSPORT ACROSS CELL MEMBRANESNazzareno Ballatori; Fiscal Year: 2000....
- FUNCTIONS OF THE HEPATIC GAMMA-GLUTAMYL CYCLENazzareno Ballatori; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Functions of the Human OST-alpha and OST-beta ProteinsNazzareno Ballatori; Fiscal Year: 2009..is generated by co-expression of two unique gene products, organic solute transporter-alpha and -beta (OSTalpha, OSTbeta)...
- Host-Microbial Control of Deoxycholate ProductonPaul Dawson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Aim 3: To cross the Slcl0a2 null allele into additional mouse strains as a first step toward cloning the genes responsible controlling deoxycholate production (colonization by the bai operon bacteria). ..
- ILEAL BILE ACID TRANSPORTER METABOLISM AND REGULATIONPaul A Dawson; Fiscal Year: 2010..The foundation for this proposal is our recent identification of the heteromeric Organic Solute Transporter, Osta-Ostb, as a major mechanism for intestinal bile acid transport...
- ILEAL BILE ACID TRANSPORTER METABOLISM AND REGULATIONPaul Dawson; Fiscal Year: 2009..The goal of this aim is to elucidate the transcriptional mechanisms responsible for the regulation of the Osta and Ostb genes by bile acids...
- ILEAL BILE ACID TRANSPORTER METABOLISM AND REGULATIONPaul Dawson; Fiscal Year: 2004..A candidate transporter for the facilitative transporter Oatp3, has been isolated. The Oatp3's cellular expression and role in intestinal bile acid transport will be determined. ..
- BILE ACIDS IN THE PATHOGENESIS OF NECROTIZING ENTEROCOLITISMELISSA HALPERN; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- BILE ACIDS IN THE PATHOGENESIS OF NECROTIZING ENTEROCOLITISMelissa D Halpern; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- MECHANISMS OF BILE SECRETION AND CHOLESTASISJames Boyer; Fiscal Year: 1990....
- BILE ACIDS IN THE PATHOGENESIS OF NECROTIZING ENTEROCOLITISMELISSA HALPERN; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Comparative Toxicogenomics DatabaseJames Boyer; Fiscal Year: 2004..This project supports the rapid advances in DNA sequencing output by linking sequence data to other important biological and laboratory information and promoting collaboration among MFBS Centers and other participating scientists. ..
- Comparative Toxicogenomics Database (CTD)James Boyer; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- MECHANISMS OF BILE SECRETION AND CHOLESTASISJames Boyer; Fiscal Year: 2007..The effects of gender and estrogens on the role of these tethering proteins will also be compared in cyclic AMP mediated secretion in cholangiocytes. ..
- MECHANISMS OF BILE SECRETION AND CHOLESTASISJames Boyer; Fiscal Year: 2002..Newly developed isolated perfused duct segments will also be used to directly assess bile duct luminal events in the intact epithelium. ..