Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: NEU3
Description: sialidase 3 (membrane sialidase)
Alias: SIAL3, N-acetyl-alpha-neuraminidase 3, ganglioside sialidase, membrane sialidase, neuraminidase 3, sialidase-3
- New findings on nuclear gangliosides: overview on metabolism and functionRobert Ledeen
Department of Neurology and Neurosciences, New Jersey Medical School, UMDNJ, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
J Neurochem 116:714-20. 2011..The Neu3 isoform of neuraminidase occurs in the inner membrane of the NE and Neu1 in the outer membrane...
- High mannose glycans and sialic acid on gp120 regulate binding of mannose-binding lectin (MBL) to HIV type 1Melanie L Hart
Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Department of Immunology Microbiology, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 18:1311-7. 2002..These studies provide evidence that MBL binds to HIV via high mannose carbohydrates on gp120 and shows that the interaction of MBL with virus is regulated by sialylation...
- Gangliosides play an important role in the organization of CD82-enriched microdomainsElena Odintsova
Cancer Research U K Institute for Cancer Studies, The University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
Biochem J 400:315-25. 2006..Furthermore, ectopic expression of the plasma-membrane-bound sialidase Neu3 in mammary epithelial cells also affected stability of the complexes containing CD82: its association with ..
- Molecular cloning and characterization of a plasma membrane-associated sialidase specific for gangliosidesT Miyagi
Division of Biochemistry, Research Institute, Miyagi Prefectural Cancer Center, Natori, Miyagi, 981 1293, Japan
J Biol Chem 274:5004-11. 1999..Here we describe the cloning and expression of a cDNA for the ganglioside sialidase, isolated from a bovine brain cDNA library based on the amino acid sequence of the purified enzyme from ..
- Regulation of plasma-membrane-associated sialidase NEU3 gene by Sp1/Sp3 transcription factorsKazunori Yamaguchi
Miyagi Cancer Center Research Institute, Natori, Japan
Biochem J 430:107-17. 2010Gene expression of the human plasma membrane-associated sialidase (NEU3), a key enzyme for ganglioside degradation, is relatively high in brain and is modulated in response to many cellular processes, including neuronal cell ..
- Dependence of neurotrophic factor activation of Trk tyrosine kinase receptors on cellular sialidaseAlicja Woronowicz
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Glycobiology 17:10-24. 2007..Here, we discover a membrane sialidase-controlling mechanism that depends on ligand binding to its receptor to induce enzyme activity which targets ..
- Inhibition of human neuraminidase 3 (NEU3) by C9-triazole derivatives of 2,3-didehydro-N-acetyl-neuraminic acidYao Zou
Alberta Ingenuity Centre for Carbohydrate Science, Department of Chemistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 20:7529-33. 2010..modified analogs of 2,3-didehydro-N-acetyl-neuraminic acid (DANA) and their inhibitory potency for the human neuraminidase 3 (NEU3) enzyme...
- Molecular cloning of mouse ganglioside sialidase and its increased expression in Neuro2a cell differentiationT Hasegawa
Division of Biochemistry, Research Institute, Miyagi Prefectural Cancer Center, 47 1 Nodayama, Medeshima shiode, Natori, Miyagi 981 1293, Japan
J Biol Chem 275:8007-15. 2000..further the roles and regulation mechanisms of the sialidase in neuronal systems, we have cloned mouse ganglioside sialidase cDNA and observed its expression in Neuro2a cell differentiation...
- Mammalian sialidases: physiological and pathological roles in cellular functionsTaeko Miyagi
Institute of Molecular Biomembrane and Glycobiology, Tohoku Pharmaceutical University, Sendai, Japan
Glycobiology 22:880-96. 2012..Four types of mammalian sialidases have been identified and characterized to date, designated as NEU1, NEU2, NEU3 and NEU4...
- New insights on the sialidase protein family revealed by a phylogenetic analysis in metazoaEdoardo Giacopuzzi
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Biotechnology, Unit of Biology and Genetics, University of Brescia, Brescia, Italy
PLoS ONE 7:e44193. 2012..sialidase forms are known in vertebrates: the lysosomal NEU1, the cytosolic NEU2 and the membrane-associated NEU3 and NEU4...
- Polymorphisms and noncardioembolic stroke in three case-control studiesMay M Luke
Celera, Alameda, CA 94502, USA
Cerebrovasc Dis 33:80-5. 2012..Gene variants associated with disease could reveal novel mechanisms. We searched for single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) associated with noncardioembolic stroke (nonCES)...
- Reduced susceptibility to colitis-associated colon carcinogenesis in mice lacking plasma membrane-associated sialidaseKazunori Yamaguchi
Division of Molecular and Cellular Oncology, Miyagi Cancer Center Research Institute, Natori, Japan
PLoS ONE 7:e41132. 2012..We previously reported that the membrane-associated mammalian sialidase NEU3, which preferentially acts on gangliosides, is involved in cell differentiation, motility, and tumorigenesis...
- Plasma membrane-associated glycohydrolases along differentiation of murine neural stem cellsMassimo Aureli
Department of Medical Chemistry, Biochemistry and Biotechnology, University of Milan, Via Fratelli Cervi 93, 20090 Segrate, Italy
Neurochem Res 37:1344-54. 2012The activities of plasma membrane associated sialidase Neu3, total β-glucosidase, CBE-sensitive β-glucosidase, non-lysosomal β-glucosyl ceramidase GBA2, β-galactosidase, β-hexosaminidase and sphingomyelinase were determined at three ..
- MmNEU3 sialidase over-expression in C2C12 myoblasts delays differentiation and induces hypertrophic myotube formationNadia Papini
Department of Medical Chemistry, University of Milan, 20090 Milan, Italy
J Cell Biochem 113:2967-78. 2012..In order to support the role of the plasma membrane-associated sialidase NEU3 in skeletal muscle differentiation and to analyse which events of the process are mainly affected by this sialidase,..
- NEU1 and NEU3 sialidase activity expressed in human lung microvascular endothelia: NEU1 restrains endothelial cell migration, whereas NEU3 does notAlan S Cross
Center for Vaccine Development, University of Maryland, School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Biol Chem 287:15966-80. 2012..b>NEU3 was detected both in the cytosol and nucleus...
- Enhancing glycoprotein sialylation by targeted gene silencing in mammalian cellsMin Zhang
Cell Sciences and Development, SAFC Biosciences a member of Sigma Aldrich Group, 2909 Laclede Avenue, Saint Louis, MO 63103, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 105:1094-105. 2010..RNA (siRNA) and short-hairpin RNA (shRNA) to reduce expression of two newly identified sialidase genes, Neu1 and Neu3. By knocking down expression of Neu3 we achieved a 98% reduction in sialidase function in CHO cells...
- Sialidase occurs in both membranes of the nuclear envelope and hydrolyzes endogenous GD1aJianfeng Wang
Department of Neurology and Neurosciences, New Jersey Medical School, UMDNJ, Newark, New Jersey 07103, USA
J Neurochem 111:547-54. 2009..Western blot analysis of the separated membranes revealed occurrence of Neu3 in the inner membrane and Neu1 in the outer membrane of the NE...
- Moderate strength (0.23-0.28 T) static magnetic fields (SMF) modulate signaling and differentiation in human embryonic cellsZhiyun Wang
Department of Biomedical Engineering, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
BMC Genomics 10:356. 2009..This study begins to bridge this gulf by investigating static magnetic fields (SMF) through global mRNA profiling in human embryonic cells coupled with software analysis to identify the affected signaling pathways...
- Down regulation of membrane-bound Neu3 constitutes a new potential marker for childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia and induces apoptosis suppression of neoplastic cellsChandan Mandal
Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, Kolkata, India
Int J Cancer 126:337-49. 2010Membrane-linked sialidase Neu3 is a key enzyme for the extralysosomal catabolism of gangliosides. In this respect, it regulates pivotal cell surface events, including trans-membrane signaling, and plays an essential role in carcinogenesis...
- Activity of plasma membrane beta-galactosidase and beta-glucosidaseMassimo Aureli
Department of Medical Chemistry, Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Center of Excellence on Neurodegenerative Diseases, University of Milano, Segrate, Italy
FEBS Lett 583:2469-73. 2009Human fibroblasts produce ceramide from sialyllactosylceramide on the plasma membranes. Sialidase Neu3 is known to be plasma membrane associated, while only indirect data suggest the plasma membrane association of beta-galactosidase and ..
- Developmental change of sialidase neu4 expression in murine brain and its involvement in the regulation of neuronal cell differentiationKazuhiro Shiozaki
Division of Biochemistry, Miyagi Cancer Center Research Institute, Natori, Miyagi 981 1293, Japan
J Biol Chem 284:21157-64. 2009..We previously demonstrated that sialidase Neu3, also rich in mouse brain, is up-regulated during neuronal differentiation with involvement in acceleration of ..
- Plasma membrane-associated sialidase (NEU3) promotes formation of colonic aberrant crypt foci in azoxymethane-treated transgenic miceKazuhiro Shiozaki
Division of Biochemistry, Miyagi Cancer Center Research Institute, 47 1 Nodayama, Medeshima shiode, Natori, Miyagi, 981 1293, Japan
Cancer Sci 100:588-94. 2009Human plasma membrane-associated sialidase (NEU3) specifically hydrolyzes gangliosides, and it is up-regulated in colon cancer and plays an essential role in the expression of malignant phenotypes...
- NEU3 sialidase strictly modulates GM3 levels in skeletal myoblasts C2C12 thus favoring their differentiation and protecting them from apoptosisLuigi Anastasia
Department of Medical Chemistry, Biochemistry, and Biotechnology, University of Milan, 20090 Milan, Italy
J Biol Chem 283:36265-71. 2008Membrane-bound sialidase NEU3, often referred to as the "ganglioside sialidase," has a critical regulatory function on the sialoglycosphingolipid pattern of the cell membrane, with an anti-apoptotic function, especially in ..
- Silencing of membrane-associated sialidase Neu3 diminishes apoptosis resistance and triggers megakaryocytic differentiation of chronic myeloid leukemic cells K562 through the increase of ganglioside GM3C Tringali
Department of Medical Chemistry, Biochemistry and Biotechnology, University of Milan, Segrate, Milan, Italy
Cell Death Differ 16:164-74. 2009..is also blocked because of low levels of ganglioside GM3, derived by the high expression of sialidase Neu3 active on GM3...
- Human sialidase as a cancer markerTaeko Miyagi
Division of Biochemistry, Miyagi Cancer Center Research Institute, Natori, Miyagi, Japan
Proteomics 8:3303-11. 2008..Immunohistochemistry of cancer tissues using the antibody against the plasma membrane sialidase was useful for clinical diagnosis...
- Limited inhibitory effects of oseltamivir and zanamivir on human sialidasesKeiko Hata
Division of Biochemistry, Miyagi Cancer Center Research Institute, Natori 981 1293, Japan
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:3484-91. 2008..the activities of any of the sialidases, even at 1 mM, while zanamivir significantly inhibited the human sialidases NEU3 and NEU2 in the micromolar range (K(i), 3.7 +/- 0.48 and 12.9 +/- 0...
- Disialoganglioside GD3 synthase expression recruits membrane transglutaminase 2 during erythroid differentiation of the human chronic myelogenous leukemia K562 cellsSung Koo Kang
Molecular and Cellular Glycobiology Unit, Department of Biological Science, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon, Kyunggi Do, Korea
Proteomics 8:3317-28. 2008..level was increased in GD3 synthase-transfected cells compared with vector- and plasma membrane-associated ganglioside sialidase (Neu3)-transfected cells...
- Protein sialylation by sialyltransferase involves radiation resistanceMinyoung Lee
Division of Radiation Effect, Korea Institute of Radiological and Medical Sciences, Seoul, Korea
Mol Cancer Res 6:1316-25. 2008..Inhibition of sialylation by transfection with neuraminidase 2 or neuraminidase 3 or by treatment with short interfering RNA targeting ST6Gal I reversed the effects of ST6Gal I overexpression...
- Thymoquinone from nutraceutical black cumin oil activates Neu4 sialidase in live macrophage, dendritic, and normal and type I sialidosis human fibroblast cells via GPCR Galphai proteins and matrix metalloproteinase-9Trisha M Finlay
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Queen s University, Kingston, ON, K7L3N6, Canada
Glycoconj J 27:329-48. 2010..RT-PCR and western blot analyses reveal no correlation between mRNA and protein values for Neu3 and Neu4 in human monocytic THP-1 cells, suggesting for the first time a varied post-transcriptional mechanism for ..
- Membrane sialidase NEU3 is highly expressed in human melanoma cells promoting cell growth with minimal changes in the composition of gangliosidesMaiko Miyata
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Chubu University College of Life and Health Sciences, Aichi, Japan
Cancer Sci 102:2139-49. 2011NEU3 is a membrane sialidase specific for gangliosides. Its increased expression and implication in some cancers have been reported. Here, we analyzed NEU3 expression in malignant melanoma cell lines and its roles in the cancer phenotypes...
- Gallus gallus NEU3 sialidase as model to study protein evolution mechanism based on rapid evolving loopsEdoardo Giacopuzzi
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Biotechnology, Unit of Biology and Genetics, University of Brescia, Viale Europa 11, Brescia 25123, Italy
BMC Biochem 12:45. 2011..These features prompted us to extend our studies on this protein family in birds, to get insights on the evolution of this class of glycohydrolases...
- A close association of the ganglioside-specific sialidase Neu3 with caveolin in membrane microdomainsYan Wang
Division of Biochemistry, Research Institute, Miyagi Prefectural Cancer Center, Natori, Miyagi 981 1293, Japan
J Biol Chem 277:26252-9. 2002The ganglioside-specific sialidase Neu3 has been suggested to play essential roles in regulation of cell surface functions because of its major localization in the plasma membrane and strict substrate preference for gangliosides involved ..
- Substrate recognition of the membrane-associated sialidase NEU3 requires a hydrophobic aglyconeMahendra S Sandbhor
Alberta Ingenuity Centre for Carbohydrate Science, Department of Chemistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2G2, Canada
Biochemistry 50:6753-62. 2011..The NEU3 isoform is a membrane-associated enzyme that cleaves glycolipid substrates...
- Differentially regulated expression of 9-O-acetyl GD3 (CD60b) and 7-O-acetyl-GD3 (CD60c) during differentiation and maturation of human T and B lymphocytesDirk Wipfler
German Cancer Research Center, D015 Translational Immunology, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Glycobiology 21:1161-72. 2011..the key enzyme for GD3 synthesis, was highest in tonsillar T cells, whereas transcriptional levels of sialidase NEU3 and O-acetylesterase H-Lse were lowest in activated T cells...
- Inhibitor selectivity of a new class of oseltamivir analogs against viral neuraminidase over human neuraminidase enzymesAmgad Albohy
Alberta Ingenuity Centre for Carbohydrate Science, Department of Chemistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2G2
Bioorg Med Chem 19:2817-22. 2011..influenza group-1 neuraminidase enzyme (N1 subtype) against recombinant forms of the human neuraminidase enzymes NEU3 and NEU4...
- Cell surface sphingolipid glycohydrolases in neuronal differentiation and aging in cultureMassimo Aureli
Department of Medical Chemistry, Biochemistry and Biotechnology, University of Milan, Milano, Italy
J Neurochem 116:891-9. 2011..I, II and IV, sialidase, β-galactosidase and β-glucosidase, and the PM-associated activities of sialidase Neu3, β-galactosidase, Conduritol B Epoxide-sensitive β-glucosidase and β-glucosidase GBA2 in rat cerebellar granule ..
- Sialidases in vertebrates: a family of enzymes tailored for several cell functionsEugenio Monti
Department of Biomedical Science and Biotechnology, University of Brescia, Italy
Adv Carbohydr Chem Biochem 64:403-79. 2010..they are the lysosomal (NEU1), the cytosolic (NEU2), and plasma membrane- and intracellular-associated sialidases (NEU3 and NEU4). The molecular cloning of several mammalian sialidases since 1993 has boosted research in this field...
- LPS-induced cytokine production in human dendritic cells is regulated by sialidase activityNicholas M Stamatos
University of Maryland Medical Center, 725 West Lombard St, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Leukoc Biol 88:1227-39. 2010..Of the four genetically distinct sialidases (Neu1-4), Neu1, Neu3, and Neu4 are expressed in human monocytes, but only Neu1 and Neu3 are up-regulated as cells differentiate into DCs...
- Insight into substrate recognition and catalysis by the human neuraminidase 3 (NEU3) through molecular modeling and site-directed mutagenesisAmgad Albohy
Alberta Ingenuity Centre for Carbohydrate Science, Department of Chemistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G2G2, Canada
Glycobiology 20:1127-38. 2010..Members of the family, such as NEU2 and NEU1, are cytosolic or lysosomal, while NEU3 and NEU4 are membrane-associated...
- A crucial role of sialidase Neu1 in hyaluronan receptor function of CD44 in T helper type 2-mediated airway inflammation of murine acute asthmatic modelS Katoh
Department of Cell Regulation, Faculty of Medicine, Kagawa University, Kanagawa, Japan
Clin Exp Immunol 161:233-41. 2010..Splenic CD4+ T cell binding of HA was examined with flow cytometry. Expression of sialidases (Neu1, Neu2, Neu3 and Neu4) in spleen cells was evaluated by quantitative real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction...
- Plasma membrane-associated sialidase (NEU3) regulates progression of prostate cancer to androgen-independent growth through modulation of androgen receptor signalingS Kawamura
Department of Urology, Miyagi Cancer Center, Natori, Japan
Cell Death Differ 19:170-9. 2012..treatments for androgen-independent prostate cancer, we have investigated plasma membrane-associated sialidase (NEU3), the key enzyme for ganglioside hydrolysis participating in transmembrane signaling...
- Plasma membrane-associated sialidase as a crucial regulator of transmembrane signallingTaeko Miyagi
Division of Biochemistry, Miyagi Cancer Center Research Institute, Natori, 981 1293, and CREST, JST, Japan
J Biochem 144:279-85. 2008..Among those forms identified to date, plasma membrane-associated sialidase, Neu3, is a key enzyme in degradation of gangliosides, for which it exhibits a special substrate preference...
- Membrane type sialidase inhibits the megakaryocytic differentiation of human leukemia K562 cellsUn Ho Jin
Molecular and Cellular Glycobiology Unit, Department of Biological Science, Sungkyunkwan University, Chunchun Dong 300, Suwon, Kyunggi Do 440 746, South Korea
Biochim Biophys Acta 1780:757-63. 2008The membrane type sialidase (Neu3) has been suggested to participate in cell growth, migration and differentiation...
- Differential expression of endogenous sialidases of human monocytes during cellular differentiation into macrophagesNicholas M Stamatos
Institute of Human Virology, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
FEBS J 272:2545-56. 2005..this study, we demonstrate that three of these sialidases, lysosomal Neu1 and Neu4 and plasma membrane-associated Neu3, are expressed in human monocytes...
- Asymmetric membrane ganglioside sialidase activity specifies axonal fateJorge Santos Da Silva
Cavalieri Ottolenghi Scientific Institute, University of Turin, 10043 Orbassano, Turin, Italy
Nat Neurosci 8:606-15. 2005..Here we show that plasma membrane ganglioside sialidase (PMGS) asymmetrically accumulates at the tip of one neurite of the unpolarized rat neuron, inducing actin ..
- Neu4, a novel human lysosomal lumen sialidase, confers normal phenotype to sialidosis and galactosialidosis cellsVolkan Seyrantepe
Department of Medical Genetics, Sainte Justine Hospital, University of Montreal, 3175 Cote Ste Catherine, Montreal, Quebec H3T 1C5, Canada
J Biol Chem 279:37021-9. 2004..have been described as follows: lysosomal (Neu1, gene NEU1), cytoplasmic (Neu2, gene NEU2), and plasma membrane (Neu3, gene NEU3)...
- Molecular characterization of membrane type and ganglioside-specific sialidase (Neu3) expressed in E. coliKi Tae Ha
National Research Laboratory for Glycobiology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Korean Government
Mol Cells 17:267-73. 2004Endogenous expression of human membrane type ganglioside sialidase (Neu3) was examined in various cell lines including NB-1, U87MG, SK-MEL-2, SK-N-MC, HepG2, Hep3B, Jurkat, HL-60, K562, ECV304, Hela and MCF-7...
- Molecular cloning and characterization of NEU4, the fourth member of the human sialidase gene familyE Monti
Department of Biomedical Science and Biotechnology, University of Brescia, Viale Europa 11, 25123 Brescia, Italy
Genomics 83:445-53. 2004..unique among mammalian sialidases, shows a high degree of homology for NEU2 and the plasma membrane-associated (NEU3) sialidases. RNA dot-blot analysis showed a low but wide expression pattern, with the highest level in liver...
- Identification and expression of Neu4, a novel murine sialidaseElena M Comelli
The Scripps Research Institute, Department of Molecular Biology, MEM L71, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Gene 321:155-61. 2003..Of the other known murine sialidases, it is most similar to Neu3 (42%)...
- Homodimeric galectin-7 (p53-induced gene 1) is a negative growth regulator for human neuroblastoma cellsJurgen Kopitz
Institut für Molekulare Pathologie, Klinikum der Ruprecht Karls Universtiät, Im Neuenheimer Feld 220, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Oncogene 22:6277-88. 2003..On the surface of neuroblastoma cells (SK-N-MC), the increased GM1 density, a result of upregulated ganglioside sialidase activity, is a key factor for the switch from proliferation to differentiation...
- Overexpression of plasma membrane-associated sialidase attenuates insulin signaling in transgenic miceAkinori Sasaki
Division of Biochemistry, Miyagi Prefectural Cancer Center, Natori, Miyagi 981 1293, Japan
J Biol Chem 278:27896-902. 2003..Here we demonstrate that mice overexpressing the human ortholog (NEU3) develop diabetic phenotype by 18-22 weeks associated with hyperinsulinemia, islet hyperplasia, and increased beta-..
- Substrate specificity and inhibitor studies of a membrane-bound ganglioside sialidase isolated from human brain tissueChristian Oehler
Institute of Pathochemistry and Neurochemistry, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 220 221, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Biol Chem 383:1735-42. 2002..Here we report on the specificity toward gangliosides and susceptibility to certain inhibitors of a ganglioside sialidase solubilized and purified 5100-fold from human brain...
- Desialylation of extracellular GD1a-neoganglioprotein suggests cell surface orientation of the plasma membrane-bound ganglioside sialidase activity in human neuroblastoma cellsJ Kopitz
University of Heidelberg, Department of Pathochemistry and Neurochemistry, Im Neuenheimer Feld 220, D 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
FEBS Lett 491:233-6. 2001..We conclude that the ganglioside sialidase activity is cell surface-orientated and displays an in situ specificity that mirrors enzyme preparations ..
- Identification and expression of NEU3, a novel human sialidase associated to the plasma membraneE Monti
Telethon Institute of Genetics and Medicine TIGEM, San Raffaele Biomedical Science Park, Via Olgettina 58, 20132 Milan, Italy and Department of Biomedical Science and Biotechnology, University of Brescia, Via Valsabbina 19, 25123 Brescia, Italy
Biochem J 349:343-51. 2000..Here we describe the identification and expression of a human plasma-membrane-associated sialidase, NEU3, isolated starting from an expressed sequence tag (EST) clone...
- Cloning, expression, and chromosomal mapping of a human ganglioside sialidaseT Wada
Research Institute, Miyagi Prefectural Cancer Center, Natori, Miyagi, 981 1293, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 261:21-7. 1999Here we report the cDNA sequence of a human ganglioside sialidase. The cDNA was isolated from a human brain cDNA library by screening with a 240 bp probe generated by polymerase chain reaction using primers based on the sequences of rat ..
- Protective protein in the bovine lysosomal beta-galactosidase complexM Hiraiwa
Department of Neurosciences, Center for Molecular Genetics, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0634, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1341:189-99. 1997..Both beta-galactosidase and cathepsin A activities were labile under the dissociated condition, indicating that it physiologically stabilizes not only beta-galactosidase but also itself by forming the complex...
- Infectivities of human and other primate lentiviruses are activated by desialylation of the virion surfaceH Hu
Department of Viral Infection, Institute of Medical Science, University of Tokyo, Minato ku, Japan
J Virol 70:7462-70. 1996..Thus, the sialylation catalyzed by host cell pathways appeared to reduce the infectivity of human and nonhuman primate lentiviruses. Our results further suggested that desialylation would help increase the titers of HIV-based vectors...
- Role of plasma membrane ganglioside sialidase of human neuroblastoma cells in growth control and differentiationJ Kopitz
Institute of Pathochemistry and General Neurochemistry, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 199:1188-93. 1994..The results suggest an important role of the ganglioside sialidase of the plasma membrane in the processes of proliferation control and differentiation in this neuronal cell ..
- Plasma-membrane-associated sialidase (NEU3) differentially regulates integrin-mediated cell proliferation through laminin- and fibronectin-derived signallingKengo Kato
Division of Biochemistry, Miyagi Cancer Center Research Institute, Natori 981 1293, Japan
Biochem J 394:647-56. 2006We have found previously that human plasma-membrane-associated sialidase (NEU3), a key glycosidase for ganglioside degradation, was markedly up-regulated in human colon cancers, with an involvement in suppression of apoptosis...
- Homology modeling of human sialidase enzymes NEU1, NEU3 and NEU4 based on the crystal structure of NEU2: hints for the design of selective NEU3 inhibitorsSadagopan Magesh
Department of Applied Bioorganic Chemistry, Gifu University, Gifu 501 1193, Japan
J Mol Graph Model 25:196-207. 2006..according to their major intracellular location as intralysomal (NEU1), cytosolic (NEU2), plasma membrane (NEU3) and lysosomal or mitochondrial membrane (NEU4) associated sialidases...
- Plasma membrane-associated sialidase is up-regulated in renal cell carcinoma and promotes interleukin-6-induced apoptosis suppression and cell motilitySeiji Ueno
Division of Biochemistry, Miyagi Cancer Center Research Institute, Natori, 981 1293, Japan
J Biol Chem 281:7756-64. 2006Human plasma membrane-associated sialidase (NEU3), specifically hydrolyzing gangliosides, plays crucial roles in the regulation of cell surface functions...
- Over-expression of mammalian sialidase NEU3 reduces Newcastle disease virus entry and propagation in COS7 cellsLuigi Anastasia
Department of Medical Chemistry, Biochemistry and Biotechnology, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Biochim Biophys Acta 1780:504-12. 2008..pattern determined by over-expression of the mammalian plasma-membrane associated, ganglioside specific, sialidase NEU3 would affect the virus-host cell interactions...
- Roles of plasma membrane-associated sialidase NEU3 in human cancersTaeko Miyagi
Biochemistry Division, Miyagi Cancer Center Research Institute, 47 1 Nodayama, Medeshima shiode, Natori, Miyagi, 981 1293, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1780:532-7. 2008..Among human sialidases so far identified, sialidase NEU3 is a key enzyme for ganglioside degradation because of its uniqueness both in its localization in the plasma ..
- Enhanced expression of membrane-associated sialidase Neu3 decreases GD3 and increases GM3 on the surface of Jurkat cells during etoposide-induced apoptosisYutaro Azuma
Department of Clinical Chemistry, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Toho University, Funabashi, Chiba 274 8510, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 30:1680-4. 2007..N-acetylneuraminic acid and measured the mRNA expression of the plasma membrane-associated sialidase Neu3 and the lysozomal Neu1 using real-time PCR...
- Molecular cloning and biochemical characterization of sialidases from zebrafish (Danio rerio)Marta Manzoni
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Biotechnology, School of Medicine, University of Brescia, Viale Europa 11, 25123 Brescia, Italy
Biochem J 408:395-406. 2007..genes are organized in clusters located on chromosome 21 and are all more closely related to mammalian sialidase NEU3. They were thus named neu3.1, neu3.2, neu3.3, neu3.4 and neu3.5...
- Sialidase NEU3 is a peripheral membrane protein localized on the cell surface and in endosomal structuresGabriele Zanchetti
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Biotechnology, School of Medicine, University of Brescia, Viale Europa 11, 25123 Brescia, Italy
Biochem J 408:211-9. 2007Sialidase NEU3 is also known as the plasma-membrane-associated form of mammalian sialidases, exhibiting a high substrate specificity towards gangliosides...
- Overexpression of membrane sialic acid-specific sialidase Neu3 inhibits matrix metalloproteinase-9 expression in vascular smooth muscle cellsSung Kwon Moon
Molecular and Cellular Glycobiology Unit, Department of Biological Science, Sungkyunkwan University, Chunchun Dong 300, Suwon City, Kyunggi Do 440 746, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 356:542-7. 2007The ganglioside-specific sialidase Neu3 has been suggested to participate in cell growth, migration, and differentiation...
- A crucial role of plasma membrane-associated sialidase in the survival of human cancer cellsT Wada
Division of Biochemistry, Miyagi Cancer Center Research Institute, Natori, Miyagi, Japan
Oncogene 26:2483-90. 2007Human plasma membrane-associated sialidase (NEU3), a key enzyme for ganglioside degradation, is markedly upregulated in human cancers, leading to apoptosis suppression...
- Lysosomal and plasma membrane ganglioside GM3 sialidases of cultured human fibroblasts. Differentiation by detergents and inhibitorsH R Schneider-Jakob
Institut für Pathochemie und Allgemeine Neurochemie, Universitat Heidelberg
Biol Chem Hoppe Seyler 372:443-50. 1991..both activities were normal in fibroblasts from patients with mucolipidosis IV, previously thought to be a ganglioside sialidase deficiency disorder...
- Epidermal growth factor-induced mobilization of a ganglioside-specific sialidase (NEU3) to membrane rufflesKazunori Yamaguchi
Division of Biochemistry, Miyagi Cancer Center Research Institute, Natori, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 346:484-90. 2006Human ganglioside-specific sialidase, NEU3, localized at cell membranes is thought to regulate various biological processes at cell surfaces...
- Monocyte differentiation up-regulates the expression of the lysosomal sialidase, Neu1, and triggers its targeting to the plasma membrane via major histocompatibility complex class II-positive compartmentsFeng Liang
Sainte Justine Hospital and the Department of Pediatrics, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec H3T 1C5, Canada
J Biol Chem 281:27526-38. 2006..In contrast to other cellular sialidases Neu2, Neu3, and Neu4, whose expression either remains unchanged or is down-regulated, Neu1 mRNA, protein and activity are ..
- Sialidase expression in activated human T lymphocytes influences production of IFN-gammaXinli Nan
Institute of Human Biology, and Department of Medicine, University of Maryland Medical Center, 725 West Lombard Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Leukoc Biol 81:284-96. 2007..In this study, we demonstrate that only lysosomal Neu1 and plasma membrane-associated Neu3 are detected in freshly isolated and activated human T lymphocytes...
- Modification of sialidase levels and sialoglycoconjugate pattern during erythroid and erytroleukemic cell differentiationCristina Tringali
Department of Medical Chemistry, Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Faculty of Exercise Science, University of Milan, LITA Segrate, Via Fratelli Cervi 93, 20090 Segrate, Milan, Italy
Glycoconj J 24:67-79. 2007..Herein we show that only the lysosomal sialidase Neu1 and the plasma membrane-associated sialidase Neu3 are expressed in CFU-E erythroid precursors and K562 erythroleukemic cells...
- Induction of axonal differentiation by silencing plasma membrane-associated sialidase Neu3 in neuroblastoma cellsRea Valaperta
Department of Medical Chemistry, Biochemistry and Biotechnology, and Center of Excellence on Neurodegenerative Diseases, University of Milan, Segrate, Italy
J Neurochem 100:708-19. 2007A reduction of 70% of the plasma membrane-associated sialidase Neu3 activity, due to a corresponding reduction of the enzyme expression by transducing cells with a short hairpin RNA encoding a sequence target (complementary messenger of ..
- Down-regulation of sialidase NEU4 may contribute to invasive properties of human colon cancersHideaki Yamanami
Division of Biochemistry, Miyagi Cancer Center Research Institute, Miyagi Cancer Center, 47 1 Nodayama, Medeshima shiode, Natori, Miyagi, 981 1293, Japan
Cancer Sci 98:299-307. 2007..We previously demonstrated that a human sialidase associated with plasma membranes (NEU3) is up-regulated in human colon cancer and is involved in suppression of apoptosis...
- CD15 expression in human myeloid cell differentiation is regulated by sialidase activitySamah Zeineb Gadhoum
Department of Dermatology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nat Chem Biol 4:751-7. 2008..Our results unveil a new paradigm by demonstrating a critical role for post-Golgi membrane glycosidase activity in the 'biosynthesis' of a key glycan determinant...
- Up-regulation of plasma membrane-associated ganglioside sialidase (Neu3) in human colon cancer and its involvement in apoptosis suppressionYoichiro Kakugawa
Division of Biochemistry, Research Institute, Department of Surgery, Miyagi Prefectural Cancer Center, Natori, Miyagi 981 1293, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:10718-23. 2002Human plasma membrane-associated sialidase (Neu3) is unique in specifically hydrolyzing gangliosides, thought to participate in cell differentiation and transmembrane signaling, thereby playing crucial roles in the regulation of cell ..
- Increased hepatic expression of ganglioside-specific sialidase, NEU3, improves insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance in miceShinsuke Yoshizumi
Department of Metabolism and Diabetes, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai 980 8574, Japan
Metabolism 56:420-9. 2007..Plasma membrane-associated sialidase, NEU3, is a key enzyme for ganglioside hydrolysis...
- Role of Sialidase in Pulmonary Host Defenses and Acute Lung InjuryAlan Cross; Fiscal Year: 2009..hypothesis, we propose the following: In Specific Aim 1 we will define which form(s) of PMN sialidase(s) (neul and neu3) regulates adherence to and migration across human lung microvascular EC by overexpression and knockdown of ..
- Role of Sialidase in Pulmonary Host Defenses and Acute Lung InjuryAlan Cross; Fiscal Year: 2010..hypothesis, we propose the following: In Specific Aim 1 we will define which form(s) of PMN sialidase(s) (neul and neu3) regulates adherence to and migration across human lung microvascular EC by overexpression and knockdown of ..
- Role of Sialidase in Pulmonary Host Defenses and Acute Lung InjuryAlan Cross; Fiscal Year: 2007..hypothesis, we propose the following: In Specific Aim 1 we will define which form(s) of PMN sialidase(s) (neul and neu3) regulates adherence to and migration across human lung microvascular EC by overexpression and knockdown of ..
- Role of Nuclear Gangliosides in Neuronal FunctionRobert Ledeen; Fiscal Year: 2007..Demonstrated attenuation of such seizures by administered LIGA-20, a membrane-permeant derivative of GM1, will be further studied by determining the role of nuclear GM1/exchanger in modulating the seizure mechanism. ..
- Role of Nuclear Gangliosides in Neuronal FunctionRobert Ledeen; Fiscal Year: 2009..Demonstrated attenuation of such seizures by administered LIGA-20, a membrane-permeant derivative of GM1, will be further studied by determining the role of nuclear GM1/exchanger in modulating the seizure mechanism. ..
- Nuclear GM1 Ganglioside in Neuronal DifferentiationRobert Ledeen; Fiscal Year: 2004..CGN from the knockouts will be subjected to glutamate as an alternative means of elevating [CA2+]i. A stroke model will also be employed. ..
- Role of Cellular Sialidase in Pathogenesis of HIV-1Nicholas Stamatos; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- NUCLEAR GM1--ROLE IN NEURONAL DIFFERENTATIONRobert Ledeen; Fiscal Year: 2000..GM1 as a general aspect of process outgrowth in the nervous system? (f) Does this upregulation of nuclear GM1 persist into maturity, or is it a specific feature of development? (g) What is the behavior of nuclear GM1 during regeneration? ..
- Role of Nuclear Gangliosides in Neuronal FunctionRobert W Ledeen; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition to analyzing GM1 levels in brain samples from PD patients, we will study the mechanistic role of GM1 using the above genetically modified mice and N27 cells. ..