Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: MT1-MMP
Description: matrix metallopeptidase 14
Alias: MMP-14, MMP-X1, MT-MMP, MT-MMP 1, MT1-MMP, MT1MMP, MTMMP1, WNCHRS, matrix metalloproteinase-14, matrix metallopeptidase 14 (membrane-inserted), membrane type 1 metalloprotease, membrane-type-1 matrix metalloproteinase
- Fernandez Catalan C, Bode W, Huber R, Turk D, Calvete J, Lichte A, et al. Crystal structure of the complex formed by the membrane type 1-matrix metalloproteinase with the tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-2, the soluble progelatinase A receptor. EMBO J. 1998;17:5238-48 pubmed..The lower affinity of TIMP-1 for MT1-MMP compared with TIMP-2 might be explained by a reduced number of favourable interactions. ..
- Akanuma N, Hoshino I, Akutsu Y, Murakami K, Isozaki Y, Maruyama T, et al. MicroRNA-133a regulates the mRNAs of two invadopodia-related proteins, FSCN1 and MMP14, in esophageal cancer. Br J Cancer. 2014;110:189-98 pubmed publisherFSCN1 and matrix metalloproteinase 14 (MMP14) are both invadopodia-related proteins. We herein elucidate the tumourigenicity of these proteins and identify novel therapeutic agents in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC)...
- Takino T, Tsuge H, Ozawa T, Sato H. MT1-MMP promotes cell growth and ERK activation through c-Src and paxillin in three-dimensional collagen matrix. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;396:1042-7 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that MT1-MMP contributes to proliferation of cancer cells in the extracellular matrix by activating ERK through c-Src and paxillin. ..
- Alfranca A, López Oliva J, Genís L, López Maderuelo D, Mirones I, Salvado D, et al. PGE2 induces angiogenesis via MT1-MMP-mediated activation of the TGFbeta/Alk5 signaling pathway. Blood. 2008;112:1120-8 pubmed publisher..These findings identify a novel signaling pathway linking PGE(2) and TGFbeta, 2 effectors involved in tumor growth and angiogenesis, and reveal potential targets for the treatment of angiogenesis-related disorders. ..
- Lu C, Li X, Hu Y, Rowe R, Weiss S. MT1-MMP controls human mesenchymal stem cell trafficking and differentiation. Blood. 2010;115:221-9 pubmed publisher..Together, these data demonstrate that hMSC invasion and differentiation programs fall under the control of the pericellular collagenase, MT1-MMP. ..
- Wang P, Nie J, Pei D. The hemopexin domain of membrane-type matrix metalloproteinase-1 (MT1-MMP) Is not required for its activation of proMMP2 on cell surface but is essential for MT1-MMP-mediated invasion in three-dimensional type I collagen. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:51148-55 pubmed
- Hotary K, Li X, Allen E, Stevens S, Weiss S. A cancer cell metalloprotease triad regulates the basement membrane transmigration program. Genes Dev. 2006;20:2673-86 pubmed..These studies characterize the first series of gene products capable of orchestrating the entire BM remodeling program that distinguishes the carcinomatous phenotype. ..
- Gingras D, Michaud M, Di Tomasso G, Béliveau E, Nyalendo C, Beliveau R. Sphingosine-1-phosphate induces the association of membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase with p130Cas in endothelial cells. FEBS Lett. 2008;582:399-404 pubmed publisher..The interaction of MT1-MMP with p130Cas at the cell periphery suggests the existence of a close interplay between pericellular proteolysis and signaling pathways involved in EC migration. ..
- Jiang W, Davies G, Martin T, Parr C, Watkins G, Mason M, et al. Expression of membrane type-1 matrix metalloproteinase, MT1-MMP in human breast cancer and its impact on invasiveness of breast cancer cells. Int J Mol Med. 2006;17:583-90 pubmed..It is highly expressed in aggressive breast tumours and is associated with clinical outcome. The enzyme is a potential therapeutic target in breast cancer. ..
- Tolde O, Rosel D, Mierke C, Panková D, Folk P, Vesely P, et al. Neoplastic progression of the human breast cancer cell line G3S1 is associated with elevation of cytoskeletal dynamics and upregulation of MT1-MMP. Int J Oncol. 2010;36:833-9 pubmed
- Moss N, Wu Y, Liu Y, Munshi H, Stack M. Modulation of the membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase cytoplasmic tail enhances tumor cell invasion and proliferation in three-dimensional collagen matrices. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:19791-9 pubmed publisherIncreasing evidence suggests that the cytoplasmic tail of membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP) is subject to phosphorylation and that this modification may influence its enzymatic activity at the cell surface...
- Endo K, Takino T, Miyamori H, Kinsen H, Yoshizaki T, Furukawa M, et al. Cleavage of syndecan-1 by membrane type matrix metalloproteinase-1 stimulates cell migration. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:40764-70 pubmed..These results suggest that the shedding of syndecan-1 promoted by MT1-MMP through the preferential cleavage of Gly245-Leu246 peptide bond stimulates cell migration. ..
- Remacle A, Chekanov A, Golubkov V, Savinov A, Rozanov D, Strongin A. O-glycosylation regulates autolysis of cellular membrane type-1 matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP). J Biol Chem. 2006;281:16897-905 pubmed..Overall, our results point out that there is a delicate balance between glycosylation and self-proteolysis of MT1-MMP in cancer cells and that when this balance is upset the catalytically potent MT1-MMP pool is self-proteolyzed. ..
- Lohi J, Lehti K, Valtanen H, Parks W, Keski Oja J. Structural analysis and promoter characterization of the human membrane-type matrix metalloproteinase-1 (MT1-MMP) gene. Gene. 2000;242:75-86 pubmed
- Golubkov V, Chekanov A, Shiryaev S, Aleshin A, Ratnikov B, Gawlik K, et al. Proteolysis of the membrane type-1 matrix metalloproteinase prodomain: implications for a two-step proteolytic processing and activation. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:36283-91 pubmed..These findings shed more light on the functional role of the inhibitory prodomain and on the proteolytic control of MT1-MMP activation, a crucial process that may be differentially regulated in normal and cancer cells. ..
- Izumiyama Y, Ohiro Y, Higashino F, Yoshida K, Taguchi K, Todo S, et al. E1AF expression is closely correlated with malignant phenotype of tongue squamous cell carcinoma through activation of MT1-MMP gene promoters. Oncol Rep. 2005;13:715-20 pubmed..These results indicate that E1AF positively regulates transcription from MT1-MMP genes, which plays an important role in invasion and metastasis of squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue by converting pro-MMP-2 into active-MMP-2. ..
- Miyata T, Ohnishi H, Suzuki J, Yoshikumi Y, Ohno H, Mashima H, et al. Involvement of syntaxin 4 in the transport of membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase to the plasma membrane in human gastric epithelial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;323:118-24 pubmed..We suggest that syntaxin 4 is involved in the intracellular transport of MT1-MMP toward the plasma membrane. ..
- Cao J, Chiarelli C, Richman O, Zarrabi K, Kozarekar P, Zucker S. Membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase induces epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition in prostate cancer. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:6232-40 pubmed publisherBy mining DNA microarray data bases at GenBank, we identified up-regulation of membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP) in human primary and metastatic prostate cancer specimens as compared with nonmalignant prostate tissues...
- Zarrabi K, Dufour A, Li J, Kuscu C, Pulkoski Gross A, Zhi J, et al. Inhibition of matrix metalloproteinase 14 (MMP-14)-mediated cancer cell migration. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:33167-77 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, these peptides interfere with cancer metastasis without affecting primary tumor growth. Thus, targeting the MMP-14 hemopexin domain represents a novel approach to inhibit MMP-14-mediated cancer dissemination. ..
- Fortier S, Labelle D, Sina A, Moreau R, Annabi B. Silencing of the MT1-MMP/ G6PT axis suppresses calcium mobilization by sphingosine-1-phosphate in glioblastoma cells. FEBS Lett. 2008;582:799-804 pubmed publisher..Targeted inhibition of either MT1-MMP or G6PT may lead to reduced infiltrative and invasive properties of brain tumor cells. ..
- Vagima Y, Avigdor A, Goichberg P, Shivtiel S, Tesio M, Kalinkovich A, et al. MT1-MMP and RECK are involved in human CD34+ progenitor cell retention, egress, and mobilization. J Clin Invest. 2009;119:492-503 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal that the motility, adhesion, homing, and mobilization of human hematopoietic progenitor cells are regulated in a cell-autonomous manner by dynamic and opposite changes in MT1-MMP and RECK expression. ..
- Kanazawa A, Oshima T, Yoshihara K, Tamura S, Yamada T, Inagaki D, et al. Relation of MT1-MMP gene expression to outcomes in colorectal cancer. J Surg Oncol. 2010;102:571-5 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of the MT1-MMP gene is considered a useful independent predictor of outcomes in patients with CRC. ..
- Lee M, Rapti M, Murphy G. Unveiling the surface epitopes that render tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1 inactive against membrane type 1-matrix metalloproteinase. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:40224-30 pubmed..Our findings suggest that threonine 98 is critical in initiating MMP binding and complex stabilization. Our findings also provide a potential mechanistic explanation for MMP-TIMP selectivity. ..
- Kondratiev S, Gnepp D, Yakirevich E, Sabo E, Annino D, Rebeiz E, et al. Expression and prognostic role of MMP2, MMP9, MMP13, and MMP14 matrix metalloproteinases in sinonasal and oral malignant melanomas. Hum Pathol. 2008;39:337-43 pubmed..0009). Our pilot study demonstrates that MMP2, MMP14, MMP9, and MaxND might be used as prognostic markers in patients with sinonasal and oral malignant melanoma. ..
- Hakulinen J, Sankkila L, Sugiyama N, Lehti K, Keski Oja J. Secretion of active membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase (MMP-14) into extracellular space in microvesicular exosomes. J Cell Biochem. 2008;105:1211-8 pubmed publisherb>Membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP, MMP14) is an efficient extracellular matrix (ECM) degrading enzyme that plays important roles in tissue homeostasis and cell invasion...
- Miller M, Manning H, Jain A, Troeberg L, Dudhia J, Essex D, et al. Membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase is a crucial promoter of synovial invasion in human rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;60:686-97 pubmed publisher..MT1-MMP serves as an essential collagen-degrading proteinase during pannus invasion in human RA. Specific inhibition of MT1-MMP-dependent invasion may represent a novel therapeutic strategy for RA. ..
- Mu D, Cambier S, Fjellbirkeland L, Baron J, Munger J, Kawakatsu H, et al. The integrin alpha(v)beta8 mediates epithelial homeostasis through MT1-MMP-dependent activation of TGF-beta1. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:493-507 pubmed..These data elucidate a novel mechanism of cellular homeostasis achieved through the coordination of the activities of members of three major gene families involved in cell-matrix interactions. ..
- Taraboletti G, D Ascenzo S, Borsotti P, Giavazzi R, Pavan A, Dolo V. Shedding of the matrix metalloproteinases MMP-2, MMP-9, and MT1-MMP as membrane vesicle-associated components by endothelial cells. Am J Pathol. 2002;160:673-80 pubmed..We conclude that endothelial cells shed MMP-containing vesicles and this may be a mechanism for regulating focalized proteolytic activity vital to invasive and morphogenic events during angiogenesis. ..
- Galvez B, Matías Román S, Albar J, Sanchez Madrid F, Arroyo A. Membrane type 1-matrix metalloproteinase is activated during migration of human endothelial cells and modulates endothelial motility and matrix remodeling. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:37491-500 pubmed..Altogether, these data demonstrate that MT1-MMP plays an important role during endothelial cell migration, and its activity can modulate endothelial migration, invasion, and formation of capillary tubes during the angiogenic response. ..
- Golubkov V, Boyd S, Savinov A, Chekanov A, Osterman A, Remacle A, et al. Membrane type-1 matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP) exhibits an important intracellular cleavage function and causes chromosome instability. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:25079-86 pubmed..We believe that our data show a novel proteolytic pathway to chromatin instability and elucidate the close association of MT1-MMP with malignant transformation. ..
- Itoh Y, Ito N, Nagase H, Evans R, Bird S, Seiki M. Cell surface collagenolysis requires homodimerization of the membrane-bound collagenase MT1-MMP. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:5390-9 pubmed..Our results introduce a new concept in that pericellular collagenolysis is regulated by correct molecular assembly of the membrane-anchored collagenase, thereby governing the directionality of the cell to migrate in tissue. ..
- Tatti O, Vehviläinen P, Lehti K, Keski Oja J. MT1-MMP releases latent TGF-beta1 from endothelial cell extracellular matrix via proteolytic processing of LTBP-1. Exp Cell Res. 2008;314:2501-14 pubmed publisher..Current results identify MT1-MMP-mediated proteolytic processing of ECM-bound LTBP-1 as a mechanism to release latent TGF-beta from the subendothelial matrix. ..
- Williams K, Coppolino M. Phosphorylation of membrane type 1-matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP) and its vesicle-associated membrane protein 7 (VAMP7)-dependent trafficking facilitate cell invasion and migration. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:43405-16 pubmed publisher..Together, these results reveal important roles for MT1-MMP phosphorylation and trafficking in both cell signaling and cell invasion. ..
- Kang H, Kwak H, Kaunas R, Bayless K. Fluid shear stress and sphingosine 1-phosphate activate calpain to promote membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP) membrane translocation and endothelial invasion into three-dimensional collagen matrices. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:42017-26 pubmed publisher..Our data show for the first time that 5.3 dynes/cm(2) WSS in the presence of S1P combine to activate calpains, which direct MT1-MMP membrane localization to initiate endothelial sprouting into three-dimensional collagen matrices. ..
- Hoshino D, Tomari T, Nagano M, Koshikawa N, Seiki M. A novel protein associated with membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase binds p27(kip1) and regulates RhoA activation, actin remodeling, and matrigel invasion. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:27315-26 pubmed publisher..Down-regulation of p27RF-Rho prevents both redistribution of actin into the punctate structures and tumor cell invasion. Thus, p27RF-Rho is a new potential target for cancer therapy development. ..
- Zhang H, Qi M, Li S, Qi T, Mei H, Huang K, et al. microRNA-9 targets matrix metalloproteinase 14 to inhibit invasion, metastasis, and angiogenesis of neuroblastoma cells. Mol Cancer Ther. 2012;11:1454-66 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that miR-9 suppresses MMP-14 expression via the binding site in the 3'-UTR, thus inhibiting the invasion, metastasis, and angiogenesis of neuroblastoma. ..
- Takahashi M, Tsunoda T, Seiki M, Nakamura Y, Furukawa Y. Identification of membrane-type matrix metalloproteinase-1 as a target of the beta-catenin/Tcf4 complex in human colorectal cancers. Oncogene. 2002;21:5861-7 pubmed..Our results indicate that MT1-MMP is a direct down-stream target in the Wnt signaling pathway, and that one of the ways accumulated beta-catenin contributes to colorectal carcinogenesis is by transactivating this gene. ..
- Devy L, Huang L, Naa L, Yanamandra N, Pieters H, Frans N, et al. Selective inhibition of matrix metalloproteinase-14 blocks tumor growth, invasion, and angiogenesis. Cancer Res. 2009;69:1517-26 pubmed publisher..The combination of potency, selectivity, and robust in vivo activity shows the potential of a selective MMP-14 inhibitor for the treatment of solid tumors. ..
- Munkert A, Helmchen U, Kemper M, Bubenheim M, Stahl R, Harendza S. Characterization of the transcriptional regulation of the human MT1-MMP gene and association of risk reduction for focal-segmental glomerulosclerosis with two functional promoter SNPs. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2009;24:735-42 pubmed publisher..An independent study will be required to verify these findings and their possible diagnostic value for differentiation between certain renal diseases. ..
- Munshi H, Wu Y, Mukhopadhyay S, Ottaviano A, Sassano A, Koblinski J, et al. Differential regulation of membrane type 1-matrix metalloproteinase activity by ERK 1/2- and p38 MAPK-modulated tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases 2 expression controls transforming growth factor-beta1-induced pericellular collagenolysis. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:39042-50 pubmed
- Ray B, Shakya A, Turk J, Apte S, Ray A. Induction of the MMP-14 gene in macrophages of the atherosclerotic plaque: role of SAF-1 in the induction process. Circ Res. 2004;95:1082-90 pubmed
- Ando K, Ishibashi T, Ohkawara H, Inoue N, Sugimoto K, Uekita H, et al. Crucial role of membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase (MT1- MMP) in RhoA/Rac1-dependent signaling pathways in thrombin- stimulated endothelial cells. J Atheroscler Thromb. 2011;18:762-73 pubmed..Recent studies have shown that membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP) functions not only as a protease but also as a signaling molecule...
- d Ortho M, Will H, Atkinson S, Butler G, Messent A, Gavrilovic J, et al. Membrane-type matrix metalloproteinases 1 and 2 exhibit broad-spectrum proteolytic capacities comparable to many matrix metalloproteinases. Eur J Biochem. 1997;250:751-7 pubmed..Their location at the surface of cells implies that they could play a significant role in the modulation of cell-matrix interactions. ..
- Lohi J, Lehti K, Westermarck J, Kahari V, Keski Oja J. Regulation of membrane-type matrix metalloproteinase-1 expression by growth factors and phorbol 12-myristate 13-acetate. Eur J Biochem. 1996;239:239-47 pubmed..Thus 72-kDa gelatinase activation, while enhanced by MT-MMP-1 expression, needs additional co-operating factors. ..
- Li Y, Aoki T, Mori Y, Ahmad M, Miyamori H, Takino T, et al. Cleavage of lumican by membrane-type matrix metalloproteinase-1 abrogates this proteoglycan-mediated suppression of tumor cell colony formation in soft agar. Cancer Res. 2004;64:7058-64 pubmed..These results suggest that MT1-MMP abrogates lumican-mediated suppression of tumor cell colony formation in soft agar by degrading this proteoglycan, which down-regulates it through the induction of p21. ..
- Sugimoto K, Ishibashi T, Sawamura T, Inoue N, Kamioka M, Uekita H, et al. LOX-1-MT1-MMP axis is crucial for RhoA and Rac1 activation induced by oxidized low-density lipoprotein in endothelial cells. Cardiovasc Res. 2009;84:127-36 pubmed publisher..b>Membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP) has been shown to be involved in atherogenesis...
- Miyamori H, Takino T, Kobayashi Y, Tokai H, Itoh Y, Seiki M, et al. Claudin promotes activation of pro-matrix metalloproteinase-2 mediated by membrane-type matrix metalloproteinases. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:28204-11 pubmed..These results suggest that claudin recruits all MT-MMPs and pro-MMP-2 on the cell surface to achieve elevated focal concentrations and, consequently, enhances activation of pro-MMP-2. ..
- Brun J, Cortez A, Commo F, Uzan S, Rouzier R, Darai E. Serous and mucinous ovarian tumors express different profiles of MMP-2, -7, -9, MT1-MMP, and TIMP-1 and -2. Int J Oncol. 2008;33:1239-46 pubmed..In conclusion, our results support the differential expression in MMPs and TIMPs of ovarian tumors according to serous or mucinous histology. ..
- Egawa N, Koshikawa N, Tomari T, Nabeshima K, Isobe T, Seiki M. Membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP/MMP-14) cleaves and releases a 22-kDa extracellular matrix metalloproteinase inducer (EMMPRIN) fragment from tumor cells. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:37576-85 pubmed..At the same time, the released 22-kDa fragment may mediate the expression of MMPs in tumor tissues. ..
- Munshi H, Wu Y, Ariztia E, Stack M. Calcium regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-mediated migration in oral squamous cell carcinoma cells. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:41480-8 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that changes in extracellular calcium can regulate post-translational MMP dynamics and thus affect the cellular behavior of oral squamous cell carcinoma. ..
- Mori H, Tomari T, Koshikawa N, Kajita M, Itoh Y, Sato H, et al. CD44 directs membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase to lamellipodia by associating with its hemopexin-like domain. EMBO J. 2002;21:3949-59 pubmed..The PEX domain of MT1-MMP was indispensable in promoting cell migration and CD44H shedding. ..
- Liu P, Yang J, Pei J, Pei D, Wilson M. Regulation of MT1-MMP activity by ?-catenin in MDCK non-cancer and HT1080 cancer cells. J Cell Physiol. 2010;225:810-21 pubmed publisher..These differences were most probably due to different subcellular locations and different involved pathways of ?-catenin in these cells. ..
- Ratnikov B, Rozanov D, Postnova T, Baciu P, Zhang H, DiScipio R, et al. An alternative processing of integrin alpha(v) subunit in tumor cells by membrane type-1 matrix metalloproteinase. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:7377-85 pubmed
- Koshikawa N, Minegishi T, Sharabi A, Quaranta V, Seiki M. Membrane-type matrix metalloproteinase-1 (MT1-MMP) is a processing enzyme for human laminin gamma 2 chain. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:88-93 pubmed..These results suggest that MT1-MMP processing of Ln-5 in human tumors may stimulate the EGF-R, resulting in increased tumor cell scattering and migration that could possibly increase their metastatic potential. ..
- Lehti K, Lohi J, Juntunen M, Pei D, Keski Oja J. Oligomerization through hemopexin and cytoplasmic domains regulates the activity and turnover of membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:8440-8 pubmed..Copurification of MT1-MMP with these fusion proteins correlated with their cell-surface co-localization. Thus, MT1-MMP oligomerization through the hemopexin, transmembrane, and cytoplasmic domains controls its catalytic activity. ..
- Sato H, Takino T, Okada Y, Cao J, Shinagawa A, Yamamoto E, et al. A matrix metalloproteinase expressed on the surface of invasive tumour cells. Nature. 1994;370:61-5 pubmed..The new metalloproteinase may thus trigger invasion by tumour cells by activating pro-gelatinase A on the tumour cell surface. ..
- Sun L, Yan W, Wang Y, Sun G, Luo H, Zhang J, et al. MicroRNA-10b induces glioma cell invasion by modulating MMP-14 and uPAR expression via HOXD10. Brain Res. 2011;1389:9-18 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, glioma cells lost their invasive ability when treated with specific antisense oligonucleotides (miR-10b inhibitors), suggesting that miR-10b could be used as a new bio-target to cure glioma. ..
- Steffen A, Le Dez G, Poincloux R, Recchi C, Nassoy P, Rottner K, et al. MT1-MMP-dependent invasion is regulated by TI-VAMP/VAMP7. Curr Biol. 2008;18:926-31 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data point to a specific role of VAMP7 in delivering MT1-MMP to sites of degradation, maintaining the functional machinery required for invasion. ..
- Sato H, Kinoshita T, Takino T, Nakayama K, Seiki M. Activation of a recombinant membrane type 1-matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP) by furin and its interaction with tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases (TIMP)-2. FEBS Lett. 1996;393:101-4 pubmed..Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases (TIMP)-2 inhibited activation of progelatinase A by forming a stable complex with activated MT1-MMP. ..
- Toth M, Hernandez Barrantes S, Osenkowski P, Bernardo M, Gervasi D, Shimura Y, et al. Complex pattern of membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase shedding. Regulation by autocatalytic cells surface inactivation of active enzyme. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:26340-50 pubmedb>Membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP) is a type I transmembrane MMP shown to play a critical role in normal development and in malignant processes...
- Wu Y, Munshi H, Sen R, Snipas S, Salvesen G, Fridman R, et al. Glycosylation broadens the substrate profile of membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:8278-89 pubmedb>Membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP) is a collagenolytic enzyme that has been implicated in normal development and in pathological processes such as cancer metastasis...
- Suenaga N, Mori H, Itoh Y, Seiki M. CD44 binding through the hemopexin-like domain is critical for its shedding by membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase. Oncogene. 2005;24:859-68 pubmed..However, the shedding activity was different depending on the catalytic domains. The conserved binding ability of the HPX domains suggests that CD44H may act as a core molecule assembling multiple MT-MMPs on the cell surface. ..
- Covington M, Burghardt R, Parrish A. Ischemia-induced cleavage of cadherins in NRK cells requires MT1-MMP (MMP-14). Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2006;290:F43-51 pubmed..These results demonstrate that ischemia induces increased expression of active MT1-MMP and subsequent disruption of cadherin/catenin complexes, implying that MT1-MMP plays a role in ischemia-induced ARF. ..
- Kwiatkowska A, Kijewska M, Lipko M, Hibner U, Kaminska B. Downregulation of Akt and FAK phosphorylation reduces invasion of glioblastoma cells by impairment of MT1-MMP shuttling to lamellipodia and downregulates MMPs expression. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1813:655-67 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: 11th European Symposium on Calcium. ..
- Bonfil R, Dong Z, Trindade Filho J, Sabbota A, Osenkowski P, Nabha S, et al. Prostate cancer-associated membrane type 1-matrix metalloproteinase: a pivotal role in bone response and intraosseous tumor growth. Am J Pathol. 2007;170:2100-11 pubmed..Our findings are consistent with the hypothesis that prostate cancer-associated MT1-MMP plays a direct and/or indirect role in bone matrix degradation, thus favoring intraosseous tumor expansion. ..
- Labrecque L, Nyalendo C, Langlois S, Durocher Y, Roghi C, Murphy G, et al. Src-mediated tyrosine phosphorylation of caveolin-1 induces its association with membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:52132-40 pubmed..Overall these results indicate that MT1-MMP associates with tyrosine-phosphorylated caveolin-1 and that this complex may play an important role in MT1-MMP regulation and function. ..
- Rozanov D, Hahn Dantona E, Strickland D, Strongin A. The low density lipoprotein receptor-related protein LRP is regulated by membrane type-1 matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP) proteolysis in malignant cells. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:4260-8 pubmed..These events implicate MT1-MMP, not only in the activation of MMP-2, but also in the mechanisms that control the subsequent fate of MMP-2 in cells and tissues. ..
- Bisson C, Blacher S, Polette M, Blanc J, Kebers F, Desreux J, et al. Restricted expression of membrane type 1-matrix metalloproteinase by myofibroblasts adjacent to human breast cancer cells. Int J Cancer. 2003;105:7-13 pubmed..Collectively, these results implicate myofibroblasts as major producer of MT1-MMP in breast cancer and emphasize the importance of stromal-epithelial cell interactions in their progression. ..
- Chernov A, Sounni N, Remacle A, Strongin A. Epigenetic control of the invasion-promoting MT1-MMP/MMP-2/TIMP-2 axis in cancer cells. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:12727-34 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the epigenetic control plays an important role in both the balanced regulation of the MT1-MMP/MMP-2/TIMP-2 axis and the invasive behavior in cancer cells. ..
- Saitoh W, Sakamoto T, Hegab A, Nomura A, Ishii Y, Morishima Y, et al. MMP14 gene polymorphisms in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Int J Mol Med. 2006;17:621-6 pubmed..0063). The haplotype of the MMP14 gene, -165 T : +221 T : +6727 C : +7096 C, might be involved in the pathogenesis of COPD. ..
- Bravo Cordero J, Marrero Diaz R, Megias D, Genís L, García Grande A, Garcia M, et al. MT1-MMP proinvasive activity is regulated by a novel Rab8-dependent exocytic pathway. EMBO J. 2007;26:1499-510 pubmed..Mechanistically, MT1-MMP delivery to invasive structures, and therefore its proinvasive activity, is regulated by Rab8 GTPase. ..
- Cao J, Chiarelli C, Kozarekar P, Adler H. Membrane type 1-matrix metalloproteinase promotes human prostate cancer invasion and metastasis. Thromb Haemost. 2005;93:770-8 pubmed..Together, these results emphasize the pivotal role of MT1-MMP in prostate cancer dissemination and confirm that MT1-MMP is a suitable target to prevent cancer metastasis. ..
- Tanimura S, Asato K, Fujishiro S, Kohno M. Specific blockade of the ERK pathway inhibits the invasiveness of tumor cells: down-regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-3/-9/-14 and CD44. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;304:801-6 pubmed..These results imply that, in addition to anti-proliferative effects, specific blockade of the ERK pathway is expected to result in anti-metastatic effects in tumor cells. ..
- Shi F, Sottile J. MT1-MMP regulates the turnover and endocytosis of extracellular matrix fibronectin. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:4039-50 pubmed publisher..The dual dependence of ECM fibronectin turnover on extracellular proteolysis and endocytosis highlights the complex regulatory mechanisms that control ECM remodeling to ensure maintenance of proper tissue function. ..
- Pei D, Weiss S. Transmembrane-deletion mutants of the membrane-type matrix metalloproteinase-1 process progelatinase A and express intrinsic matrix-degrading activity. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:9135-40 pubmed..Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 92, 2730-2734), our data suggest that soluble forms of the proteinase confer recipient cells with the ability to not only process progelatinase A, but also directly degrade extracellular matrix components. ..
- D Alessio S, Ferrari G, Cinnante K, Scheerer W, Galloway A, Roses D, et al. Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-2 binding to membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase induces MAPK activation and cell growth by a non-proteolytic mechanism. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:87-99 pubmed..These findings illustrate a novel role for MT1-MMP-TIMP-2 interaction, which controls cell functions by a mechanism independent of extracellular matrix degradation. ..