Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: MMP17
Description: matrix metallopeptidase 17
Alias: MMP-17, MT4-MMP, MT4MMP, MTMMP4, matrix metalloproteinase-17, MT-MMP 4, matrix metallopeptidase 17 (membrane-inserted), matrix metalloproteinase 17 (membrane-inserted), membrane-type matrix metalloproteinase 4, membrane-type-4 matrix metalloproteinase
- Nimri L, Barak H, Graeve L, Schwartz B. Restoration of caveolin-1 expression suppresses growth, membrane-type-4 metalloproteinase expression and metastasis-associated activities in colon cancer cells. Mol Carcinog. 2013;52:859-70 pubmed publisher..We conclude that cav-1 orchestrates and reorganize several proteins in lipid rafts, activities directly associated with reduced tumorigenic and metastatic ability of colon cancer cells. ..
- Gauthier M, Racine C, Ferland C, Flamand N, Chakir J, Tremblay G, et al. Expression of membrane type-4 matrix metalloproteinase (metalloproteinase-17) by human eosinophils. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2003;35:1667-73 pubmed..Consequently, MT4-MMP may be directly involved in the degradation of extracellular matrix components and/or modulate the activity of other proteins implicated in eosinophil migration and tissue remodeling. ..
- Blanco M, Rodriguez Martin I, Learte A, Clemente C, Montalvo M, Seiki M, et al. Developmental expression of membrane type 4-matrix metalloproteinase (Mt4-mmp/Mmp17) in the mouse embryo. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184767 pubmed publisher..Within this family, we focused our study on Mt4-mmp (also called Mmp17) that belongs to a distinct subset that is anchored to the cell surface via a glycosylphosphatidylinositol (GPI) ..
- Atkinson S, Roghi C, Murphy G. MT1-MMP hemopexin domain exchange with MT4-MMP blocks enzyme maturation and trafficking to the plasma membrane in MCF7 cells. Biochem J. 2006;398:15-22 pubmed
- Gao G, Plaas A, Thompson V, Jin S, Zuo F, Sandy J. ADAMTS4 (aggrecanase-1) activation on the cell surface involves C-terminal cleavage by glycosylphosphatidyl inositol-anchored membrane type 4-matrix metalloproteinase and binding of the activated proteinase to chondroitin sulfate and heparan sulfate . J Biol Chem. 2004;279:10042-51 pubmed..We conclude that ADAMTS-4 activation in this cell system involves the coordinated activity of both glycosylphosphatidyl inositol-anchored MT4-MMP and the proteoglycan form of syndecan-1 on the cell surface. ..
- Host L, Paye A, Detry B, Blacher S, Munaut C, Foidart J, et al. The proteolytic activity of MT4-MMP is required for its pro-angiogenic and pro-metastatic promoting effects. Int J Cancer. 2012;131:1537-48 pubmed publisher..It identifies MT4-MMP as a key intrinsic tumor cell determinant that contributes to the elaboration of a permissive microenvironment for metastatic dissemination. ..
- Huang C, Yang W, Chang S, Tai S, Tzeng C, Kao J, et al. Regulation of membrane-type 4 matrix metalloproteinase by SLUG contributes to hypoxia-mediated metastasis. Neoplasia. 2009;11:1371-82 pubmed..These findings establish a novel signaling pathway for hypoxia-mediated metastasis and elucidate the underlying regulatory mechanism and functional significance of MT4-MMP in cancer metastasis. ..
- Liang B, Xiao T, Long J, Liu M, Li Z, Liu S, et al. Hydrogen sulfide alleviates myocardial fibrosis in mice with alcoholic cardiomyopathy by downregulating autophagy. Int J Mol Med. 2017;40:1781-1791 pubmed publisher..autophagy-associated proteins (Beclin 1, Atg3 and Atg7) and fibrosis-associated proteins (MMP8, MMP13, MMP14, MMP17 and TGF-?1), as well as miR-21 and miR-221. These results were markedly reversed following treatment with H2S...
- English W, Puente X, Freije J, Knauper V, Amour A, Merryweather A, et al. Membrane type 4 matrix metalloproteinase (MMP17) has tumor necrosis factor-alpha convertase activity but does not activate pro-MMP2. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:14046-55 pubmedb>Membrane type 4 matrix metalloproteinase (MT4-MMP) shows the least sequence homology to the other MT-MMPs, suggesting a distinct function for this protein...
- Wang Y, Johnson A, Ye Q, Dyer R. Catalytic activities and substrate specificity of the human membrane type 4 matrix metalloproteinase catalytic domain. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:33043-9 pubmed..MT4-MMP is, therefore, a competent Zn(2+)-dependent MMP with unique specificity among synthetic substrates and the capability to both degrade gelatin and activate progelatinase A. ..
- Puente X, Pendas A, Llano E, Velasco G, Lopez Otin C. Molecular cloning of a novel membrane-type matrix metalloproteinase from a human breast carcinoma. Cancer Res. 1996;56:944-9 pubmed..On the basis of these expression data in breast tumors, a potential role for human MT4-MMP in the tumoral process is also suggested. ..
- Puente X, Pendas A, Llano E, Lopez Otin C. Localization of the human membrane type 4-matrix metalloproteinase gene (MMP17) to chromosome 12q24. Genomics. 1998;54:578-9 pubmed
- Clemente C, Rius C, Alonso Herranz L, MartÃn Alonso M, PollÃ¡n Ã, Camafeita E, et al. MT4-MMP deficiency increases patrolling monocyte recruitment to early lesions and accelerates atherosclerosis. Nat Commun. 2018;9:910 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that MT4-MMP targeting may constitute a novel strategy to boost patrolling monocyte activity in early inflammation. ..
- Hieronimus B, Pfohl J, Busch C, Graeve L. Expression and Characterization of Membrane-Type 4 Matrix Metalloproteinase (MT4-MMP) and its Different Forms in Melanoma. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2017;42:198-210 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate the novel expression of MT4-MMP in melanocytic tissues and propose a precursor/product-relationship of the different forms of MT4-MMP in melanoma cells. ..
- Yip C, Foidart P, Somja J, Truong A, Lienard M, Feyereisen E, et al. MT4-MMP and EGFR expression levels are key biomarkers for breast cancer patient response to chemotherapy and erlotinib. Br J Cancer. 2017;116:742-751 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that MT4-MMP defines a sub-population of TNBC sensitive to a combination of DNA-targeting chemotherapeutic agents and anti-EGFR drugs. ..
- Truong A, Yip C, Paye A, Blacher S, Munaut C, Deroanne C, et al. Dynamics of internalization and recycling of the prometastatic membrane type 4 matrix metalloproteinase (MT4-MMP) in breast cancer cells. FEBS J. 2016;283:704-22 pubmed publisherb>Membrane type 4 matrix metalloproteinase (MT4-MMP) [matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) 17] is a GPI-anchored membrane-type MMP expressed on the cell surface of human breast cancer cells...
- Kolkenbrock H, Essers L, Ulbrich N, Will H. Biochemical characterization of the catalytic domain of membrane-type 4 matrix metalloproteinase. Biol Chem. 1999;380:1103-8 pubmedA C-terminal truncated form of membrane-type 4 matrix metalloproteinase (MT4-MMP; MMP 17), lacking the hemopexin-like and transmembrane domain, was expressed in Escherichia coli...
- Paye A, Truong A, Yip C, Cimino J, Blacher S, Munaut C, et al. EGFR activation and signaling in cancer cells are enhanced by the membrane-bound metalloprotease MT4-MMP. Cancer Res. 2014;74:6758-70 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our results identify MT4-MMP as a positive modifier of EGFR outside-in signaling that acts to cooperatively drive cancer cell proliferation. ..
- Freilinger T, Anttila V, de Vries B, Malik R, Kallela M, Terwindt G, et al. Genome-wide association analysis identifies susceptibility loci for migraine without aura. Nat Genet. 2012;44:777-82 pubmed publisher..This study identifies the first susceptibility loci for migraine without aura, thereby expanding our knowledge of this debilitating neurological disorder. ..
- Sohail A, Marco M, Zhao H, Shi Q, Merriman S, Mobashery S, et al. Characterization of the dimerization interface of membrane type 4 (MT4)-matrix metalloproteinase. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:33178-89 pubmed publisherMT4-MMP (MMP17) belongs to a unique subset of membrane type-matrix metalloproteinases that are anchored to the cell surface via a glycosylphosphatidylinositol moiety. However, little is known about its biochemical properties...
- Chabottaux V, Ricaud S, Host L, Blacher S, Paye A, Thiry M, et al. Membrane-type 4 matrix metalloproteinase (MT4-MMP) induces lung metastasis by alteration of primary breast tumour vascular architecture. J Cell Mol Med. 2009;13:4002-13 pubmed publisher..On this basis, we propose that MT4-MMP promotes lung metastasis by disturbing the tumour vessel integrity and thereby facilitating tumour cell intravasation. ..
- Rozanov D, Hahn Dantona E, Strickland D, Strongin A. The low density lipoprotein receptor-related protein LRP is regulated by membrane type-1 matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP) proteolysis in malignant cells. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:4260-8 pubmed..These events implicate MT1-MMP, not only in the activation of MMP-2, but also in the mechanisms that control the subsequent fate of MMP-2 in cells and tissues. ..
- Kinoh H, Hayashita H, Kajita M, Okada A, Seiki M. Assignment of the genes for membrane-type-4 matrix metalloproteinase (Mmp17, MMP17) to mouse chromosome 5, human chromosome band 12q24.3 and membrane-type-5 matrix metalloproteinase (Mmp24, MMP24) to mouse chromosome 2 and human chromosome band 20q11. Cytogenet Cell Genet. 1999;87:97-8 pubmed
- Kajita M, Kinoh H, Ito N, Takamura A, Itoh Y, Okada A, et al. Human membrane type-4 matrix metalloproteinase (MT4-MMP) is encoded by a novel major transcript: isolation of complementary DNA clones for human and mouse mt4-mmp transcripts. FEBS Lett. 1999;457:353-6 pubmed..and failed to express protein, and the other is the major transcript that has an extended open reading frame and expressed 67 and 71 kDa translation products. Thus, functional mt4-mmp has been identified for the first time. ..