Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: MIR503
Description: microRNA 503
Alias: MIRN503, hsa-mir-503
- Guo J, Liu X, Wang M. miR-503 suppresses tumor cell proliferation and metastasis by directly targeting RNF31 in prostate cancer. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2015;464:1302-1308 pubmed publisher..These findings collectively indicated an oncogene role of RNF31 in PCa progression which can be regulated by miR-503, suggesting that RNF31 could serve as a potential prognostic biomarker and therapeutic target for PCa. ..
- Feinmesser M, Benbassat C, Meiri E, Benjamin H, Lebanony D, Lebenthal Y, et al. Specific MicroRNAs Differentiate Adrenocortical Adenomas from Carcinomas and Correlate With Weiss Histopathologic System. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2015;23:522-31 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, miR expression can accurately identify malignant ACTs with equal efficiency to the Weiss system. miR analysis may have added value in tumors with borderline features that are difficult to interpret histopathologically. ..
- Ikari J, Nelson A, Obaid J, Girón Martínez A, Ikari K, Makino F, et al. Reduced microRNA-503 expression augments lung fibroblast VEGF production in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184039 pubmed publisher..Since VEGF contributes to disturbed vasculature in COPD, altered miR-503 production might play a role in modulating fibroblast-mediated vascular homeostasis in COPD. ..
- Li Z, Zhu S, Chen X, Zhu J, Chen Q, Zhang Y, et al. ARID1A suppresses malignant transformation of human pancreatic cells via mediating senescence-associated miR-503/CDKN2A regulatory axis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:1018-1025 pubmed publisher..CDKN2A was identified as a target of miR-503, which contributes to cell senescence. Thus, our data suggests that ARID1A deficiency promote KRASG12D-driven pancreatic tumorigenesis through miR-503/CDKN2A-mediated senescence. ..
- Li J, Wu Q, Wang X, Zhang C. Long Noncoding RNA miR210HG Sponges miR-503 to Facilitate Osteosarcoma Cell Invasion and Metastasis. DNA Cell Biol. 2017;36:1117-1125 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our study indicates that miR210HG sponges miR-503 to facilitate osteosarcoma cell invasion and metastasis, revealing the oncogenic role of miR210HG on osteosarcoma cells. ..
- Bi R, Ding F, He Y, Jiang L, Jiang Z, Mei J, et al. miR-503 inhibits platelet-derived growth factor-induced human aortic vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation and migration through targeting the insulin receptor. Biomed Pharmacother. 2016;84:1711-1716 pubmed publisher..Based on the collective data, we suggest a novel role of miR-503 as a regulator of VSMC proliferation and migration through modulating INSR. ..
- Jiang X, Chen Y, Du E, Yang K, Zhang Z, Qi S, et al. GATA3-driven expression of miR-503 inhibits prostate cancer progression by repressing ZNF217 expression. Cell Signal. 2016;28:1216-24 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results demonstrated that GATA3-driven expression of miR-503 inhibits PCa progression by repressing ZNF217 expression, and also implicated the potential application of miR-503 in PCa therapy. ..
- Liu L, Qu W, Zhong Z. Down-regulation of miR-503 expression predicate advanced mythological features and poor prognosis in patients with NSCLC. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2015;8:5609-13 pubmed..992, 95% CI: 2.276-9.872; P=0.018) in NSCLC. In patients with NSCLC, low miR-503 expression is an independent prognostic factor. ..
- Li N, Zhang F, Li S, Zhou S. Epigenetic silencing of MicroRNA-503 regulates FANCA expression in non-small cell lung cancer cell. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014;444:611-6 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that miR-503 regulates the resistance of non-small cell lung cancer cells to cisplatin at least in part by targeting FANCA. ..
- Zhou R, Gong A, Chen D, Miller R, Eischeid A, Chen X. Histone deacetylases and NF-kB signaling coordinate expression of CX3CL1 in epithelial cells in response to microbial challenge by suppressing miR-424 and miR-503. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e65153 pubmed publisher..The above results indicate that HDACs and NF-kB signaling coordinate epithelial expression of CX3CL1 to promote mucosal antimicrobial defense through suppression of the mir-424-503 gene. ..
- Ruiz Llorente L, Ardila González S, Fanjul L, Martínez Iglesias O, Aranda A. microRNAs 424 and 503 are mediators of the anti-proliferative and anti-invasive action of the thyroid hormone receptor beta. Oncotarget. 2014;5:2918-33 pubmed..Therefore, miR-424 or miR-503 mediate anti-proliferative and anti-invasive actions of TRb both in cultured cells and in vivo. ..
- Li Y, Li W, Ying Z, Tian H, Zhu X, Li J, et al. Metastatic heterogeneity of breast cancer cells is associated with expression of a heterogeneous TGFÎ²-activating miR424-503 gene cluster. Cancer Res. 2014;74:6107-18 pubmed publisher..Mechanistic studies revealed that miR424 and miR503 simultaneously suppressed Smad7 and Smurf2, two key inhibitory factors of TGFÎ² signaling, leading to enhanced ..
- Zhao Z, Fan X, Jiang L, Xu Z, Xue L, Zhan Q, et al. miR-503-3p promotes epithelial-mesenchymal transition in breast cancer by directly targeting SMAD2 and E-cadherin. J Genet Genomics. 2017;44:75-84 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings support a critical role for miR-503-3p in induction of breast cancer EMT and suggest that plasma miR-503-3p may be a useful diagnostic biomarker for breast cancer. ..
- Ma H, Lian R, Wu Z, Li X, Yu W, Shang Y, et al. MiR-503 enhances the radiosensitivity of laryngeal carcinoma cells via the inhibition of WEE1. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317706224 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, miR-503 could function as an enhancer of radiation responses in laryngeal carcinoma cells by inhibiting WEE1, which may be a potential novel radiosensitizing strategy for laryngeal carcinoma...
- Yan J, Xu Y, Wang H, Du T, Chen H. MicroRNA-503 inhibits the proliferation and invasion of breast cancer cells via targeting insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor. Mol Med Rep. 2017;16:1707-1714 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the present study expanded the understanding of the regulatory mechanism of miRâ€‘503 in breast cancer, and implicates the miRâ€‘503/IGFâ€‘1R axis as a potential therapeutic target for breast cancer. ..
- Lee A, Papangeli I, Park Y, Jeong H, Choi J, Kang H, et al. A PPARγ-dependent miR-424/503-CD40 axis regulates inflammation mediated angiogenesis. Sci Rep. 2017;7:2528 pubmed publisher..Overall, these studies identify a PPARγ-dependent miR-424/503-CD40 signaling axis that is critical for regulation of inflammation mediated angiogenesis. ..
- Chong Y, Zhang J, Guo X, Li G, Zhang S, Li C, et al. MicroRNA-503 acts as a tumor suppressor in osteosarcoma by targeting L1CAM. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e114585 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data identify the important roles of miR-503 in osteosarcoma pathogenesis, indicating its potential application in cancer therapy. ..
- Ide S, Toiyama Y, Shimura T, Kawamura M, Yasuda H, Saigusa S, et al. MicroRNA-503 promotes tumor progression and acts as a novel biomarker for prognosis in oesophageal cancer. Anticancer Res. 2015;35:1447-51 pubmed..miR-503 expression affects tumor cell proliferation in EC. Evaluation of miR-503 expression might thus help identify patients with EC with poor prognosis and higher risk of early recurrence. ..
- Yin Z, Wang Y, Ge S, Guo T, Wang L, Zheng X, et al. Reduced expression of miR-503 is associated with poor prognosis in cervical cancer. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2015;19:4081-5 pubmed..Reduced expression of miR-503 is an independent prognostic factor in cervical cancer indicating poor prognosis. ..
- Roy P, Bhattacharya G, Lahiri A, Dasgupta U, Banerjee D, Chandra S, et al. hsa-miR-503 is downregulated in ? thalassemia major. Acta Haematol. 2012;128:187-9 pubmed
- Luo J, Wang Z, Huang J, Yao Y, Sun Q, Wang J, et al. HOXC13 promotes proliferation of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma via repressing transcription of CASP3. Cancer Sci. 2018;109:317-329 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our study demonstrates that HOXC13, which is directly targeted by miR-503, promotes proliferation and inhibits apoptosis of ESCC through repressing transcription of CASP3. ..
- D Arcangelo D, Facchiano F, Nassa G, Stancato A, Antonini A, Rossi S, et al. PDGFR-alpha inhibits melanoma growth via CXCL10/IP-10: a multi-omics approach. Oncotarget. 2016;7:77257-77275 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates for the first time that PDGFR-alpha strongly inhibits endothelial and melanoma cells proliferation in a CXCL10/IP-10 dependent way, via miR-503 down-regulation. ..
- Llobet Navas D, Rodríguez Barrueco R, de la Iglesia Vicente J, Olivan M, Castro V, Saucedo Cuevas L, et al. The microRNA 424/503 cluster reduces CDC25A expression during cell cycle arrest imposed by transforming growth factor Î² in mammary epithelial cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:4216-31 pubmed publisher..We also provide evidence that the TGF-Î²/miR-424(322)/503 axis is part of the mechanism that regulates the proliferation of hormone receptor-positive (HR(+)) mammary epithelial cells in vivo. ..
- Li B, Liu L, Li X, Wu L. miR-503 suppresses metastasis of hepatocellular carcinoma cell by targeting PRMT1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2015;464:982-7 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we denomstrated PRMT1 as a novel target gene of miR-503 and miR-503-mediated PRMT1 could also emerge as a potential important biomarker for HCC. ..
- Long J, Ou C, Xia H, Zhu Y, Liu D. MiR-503 inhibited cell proliferation of human breast cancer cells by suppressing CCND1 expression. Tumour Biol. 2015;36:8697-702 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings provide new knowledge regarding the role of miR-503 in the progression of breast cancer and indicate the role of miR-503 as a tumor suppressor microRNA (miRNA) in breast cancer. ..
- Jiang L, Zhao Z, Zheng L, Xue L, Zhan Q, Song Y. Downregulation of miR-503 Promotes ESCC Cell Proliferation, Migration, and Invasion by Targeting Cyclin D1. Genomics Proteomics Bioinformatics. 2017;15:208-217 pubmed publisher..Our study further identified CCND1 as the target gene of miR-503. Thus, miR-503 functions as a tumor suppressor and has an important role in ESCC by targeting CCND1. ..
- Chang S, Yue J, Wang B, Zhang X. miR-503 inhibits cell proliferation and induces apoptosis in colorectal cancer cells by targeting E2F3. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2015;8:12853-60 pubmed..miR-503 inhibits cell proliferation and induces apoptosis by directly targeting E2F3 in CRC cells, indicating its potential application in CRC diagnosis and therapy. ..
- Kim J, Kang Y, Kojima Y, Lighthouse J, Hu X, Aldred M, et al. An endothelial apelin-FGF link mediated by miR-424 and miR-503 is disrupted in pulmonary arterial hypertension. Nat Med. 2013;19:74-82 pubmed publisher..Reconstitution of miR-424 and miR-503 in vivo ameliorated pulmonary hypertension in experimental models. These studies identify an APLN-dependent miRNA-FGF signaling axis needed for the maintenance of pulmonary vascular homeostasis. ..
- Baran Gale J, Purvis J, Sethupathy P. An integrative transcriptomics approach identifies miR-503 as a candidate master regulator of the estrogen response in MCF-7 breast cancer cells. RNA. 2016;22:1592-603 pubmed publisher..More generally, our work provides a systems-level framework for identifying functional interactions that shape the temporal dynamics of gene expression. ..
- Chen C, Cheng P, Xie H, Zhou H, Wu X, Liao E, et al. MiR-503 regulates osteoclastogenesis via targeting RANK. J Bone Miner Res. 2014;29:338-47 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study revealed that miR-503 plays an important role in the pathogenesis of postmenopausal osteoporosis and contributes to a new therapeutic way for osteoporosis. ..
- Qiu T, Zhou L, Wang T, Xu J, Wang J, Chen W, et al. miR-503 regulates the resistance of non-small cell lung cancer cells to cisplatin by targeting Bcl-2. Int J Mol Med. 2013;32:593-8 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that miR-503 regulates cell apoptosis, at least in part by targeting Bcl-2, and thus modulates the resistance of non-small cell lung cancer cells to cisplatin. ..
- Polioudakis D, Abell N, Iyer V. miR-503 represses human cell proliferation and directly targets the oncogene DDHD2 by non-canonical target pairing. BMC Genomics. 2015;16:40 pubmed publisher..Our results provide an extensive genome wide set of targets for miR-503, miR-103, and miR-494, and suggest that miR-503 may act as a tumor suppressor in breast cancer by its direct non-canonical targeting of DDHD2. ..
- Meyer S, Thirion C, Polesskaya A, Bauersachs S, Kaiser S, Krause S, et al. TNF-Î± and IGF1 modify the microRNA signature in skeletal muscle cell differentiation. Cell Commun Signal. 2015;13:4 pubmed publisher..Finally, this study identifies indicative biomarkers of myoblast differentiation and cytokine influence and points to novel RNA targets. ..
- Li L, Sarver A, Khatri R, Hajeri P, Kamenev I, French A, et al. Sequential expression of miR-182 and miR-503 cooperatively targets FBXW7, contributing to the malignant transformation of colon adenoma to adenocarcinoma. J Pathol. 2014;234:488-501 pubmed publisher..Array data are available at: http://www.oncomir.umn.edu/ ..
- Xu K, Chen G, Qiu Y, Yuan Z, Li H, Yuan X, et al. miR-503-5p confers drug resistance by targeting PUMA in colorectal carcinoma. Oncotarget. 2017;8:21719-21732 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that a p53/miR-503-5p/PUMA signaling axis regulates the CRC response to chemotherapy, and suggest that miR-503-5p plays an important role in the development of MDR in CRC by modulating PUMA expression. ..
- Wu B, Bi W. Role of microRNAâ€‘503 in the suppression of osteosarcoma cell proliferation and migration via modulation of fibroblast growth factor 2. Mol Med Rep. 2015;12:7433-8 pubmed publisher..In addition, miRâ€‘503 was able to inhibit the migration and invasion ability of OS cells, likely via the inhibition of FGF2 expression. ..
- Hirakawa T, Nasu K, Abe W, Aoyagi Y, Okamoto M, Kai K, et al. miR-503, a microRNA epigenetically repressed in endometriosis, induces apoptosis and cell-cycle arrest and inhibits cell proliferation, angiogenesis, and contractility of human ovarian endometriotic stromal cells. Hum Reprod. 2016;31:2587-2597 pubmed..13237327 to K.N., no. 26861335 to K.K. and no. 23592407 to H.N.) and the Kanzawa Medical Research Foundation (to K.K.). There are no conflicts of interest to declare. ..
- Noguchi T, Toiyama Y, Kitajima T, Imaoka H, Hiro J, Saigusa S, et al. miRNA-503 Promotes Tumor Progression and Is Associated with Early Recurrence and Poor Prognosis in Human Colorectal Cancer. Oncology. 2016;90:221-31 pubmed publisher..The putative target gene (calcium-sensing receptor) was significantly upregulated after miR-503 attenuation. miR-503 acts as an 'onco-miR' in CRC. High miR-503 expression is associated with early recurrence and poor prognosis in CRC. ..
- Caporali A, Meloni M, Nailor A, MitiÄ‡ T, Shantikumar S, Riu F, et al. p75(NTR)-dependent activation of NF-ÎºB regulates microRNA-503 transcription and pericyte-endothelial crosstalk in diabetes after limb ischaemia. Nat Commun. 2015;6:8024 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data demonstrate that miR-503 regulates pericyte-endothelial crosstalk in microvascular diabetic complications. ..