Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: MIR33A
Description: microRNA 33a
Alias: MIR33, MIRN33, MIRN33A, hsa-mir-33, hsa-mir-33a, miR-33, miRNA33A
- Hou L, Ma Y, Han Y, Lu G, Luo P, Chang Z, et al. Association of microRNA-33a Molecular Signature with Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Diagnosis and Prognosis after Chemotherapy. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0170431 pubmed publisher..Our study implied that miR-33a expression levels may have an essential role in NSCLC progression, and could act as a specific and sensitive biomarker for NSCLC patients who have undergone adjuvant chemotherapy. ..
- Fang Y, Feng Y, Wu T, Srinivas S, Yang W, Fan J, et al. Aflatoxin B1 negatively regulates Wnt/Î²-catenin signaling pathway through activating miR-33a. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e73004 pubmed publisher..These results suggested that AFB1 might down-regulate Î²-catenin by up-regulating miR-33a. This understanding opens new lines of thought in the potential role of miR-33a in the clinical therapy of cancer. ..
- Vega Badillo J, GutiÃ©rrez Vidal R, HernÃ¡ndez PÃ©rez H, Villamil RamÃrez H, LeÃ³n Mimila P, SÃ¡nchez MuÃ±oz F, et al. Hepatic miR-33a/miR-144 and their target gene ABCA1 are associated with steatohepatitis in morbidly obese subjects. Liver Int. 2016;36:1383-91 pubmed publisher..However, the expression of these genes was not associated with NASH. miR-33a/144 and their target gene ABCA1 may contribute to the pathogenesis of NASH in morbidly obese subjects. ..
- Zhang C, Zhang Y, Ding W, Lin Y, Huang Z, Luo Q. MiR-33a suppresses breast cancer cell proliferation and metastasis by targeting ADAM9 and ROS1. Protein Cell. 2015;6:881-9 pubmed publisher..These findings identified miR-33a as a negative regulator of breast cancer cell proliferation and metastasis. ..
- Scherrer D, Zago V, Parra E, Avansini S, Panzoldo N, Alexandre F, et al. Asymptomatic individuals with high HDL-C levels overexpress ABCA1 and ABCG1 and present miR-33a dysregulation in peripheral blood mononuclear cells. Gene. 2015;570:50-6 pubmed publisher..Further studies are necessary to elucidate the mechanisms underlying the complex miRNA network, regulating cellular cholesterol homeostasis in humans and its clinical repercussions. ..
- Ma W, Ding H, Gong X, Liu Z, Lin Y, Zhang Z, et al. Methyl protodioscin increases ABCA1 expression and cholesterol efflux while inhibiting gene expressions for synthesis of cholesterol and triglycerides by suppressing SREBP transcription and microRNA 33a/b levels. Atherosclerosis. 2015;239:566-70 pubmed publisher..MPD further promotes LDL receptor through reducing the PCSK9 level. Collectively, the study demonstrates that MPD potentially increase HDL cholesterol while reducing LDL cholesterol and triglycerides. ..
- Wang H, Sun T, Hu J, Zhang R, Rao Y, Wang S, et al. miR-33a promotes glioma-initiating cell self-renewal via PKA and NOTCH pathways. J Clin Invest. 2014;124:4489-502 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a miR-33a-centered signaling network that promotes GIC maintenance and has potential as a therapeutic target for GBM treatment. ..
- Cao R, Bai Y, Sun L, Zheng J, Zu M, Du G, et al. Xuezhikang therapy increases miR-33 expression in patients with low HDL-C levels. Dis Markers. 2014;2014:781780 pubmed publisher..37, P = 0.019; r = -0.33, P = 0.035, resp.). In patients with low HDL-C levels, XZK therapy raised plasma levels of miR-33a and miR-33b, which may inhibit cellular cholesterol export and limit the HDL-raising effect of XZK. ..
- Wolfe A, Bambhroliya A, Reddy J, Debeb B, Huo L, Larson R, et al. MiR-33a Decreases High-Density Lipoprotein-Induced Radiation Sensitivity in Breast Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016;95:791-9 pubmed publisher..For breast cancer patients treated with radiation, high miR-33a expression predicted worse overall survival (P=.06). Our results reveal miR-33a negatively regulates HDL-induced radiation sensitivity in breast cancer. ..
- Kim S, Kim G, Umemura T, Lee S, Cho K. Aberrant expression of plasma microRNA-33a in an atherosclerosis-risk group. Mol Biol Rep. 2017;44:79-88 pubmed publisher..Thus, plasma miR-33a can be considered as a candidate biomarker of atherosclerosis. ..
- Chen Z, Ye J, Ashraf U, Li Y, Wei S, Wan S, et al. MicroRNA-33a-5p Modulates Japanese Encephalitis Virus Replication by Targeting Eukaryotic Translation Elongation Factor 1A1. J Virol. 2016;90:3722-34 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a new insight into the molecular mechanism of JEV pathogenesis and provide a possible therapeutic entry point for viral encephalitis. ..
- Zhu C, Zhao Y, Zhang Z, Ni Y, Li X, Yong H. MicroRNA-33a inhibits lung cancer cell proliferation and invasion by regulating the expression of Î²-catenin. Mol Med Rep. 2015;11:3647-51 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the current study may provide strategies for the treatment of lung cancer and clarify the mechanism of its progression. ..
- Mi W, Shi Q, Chen X, Wu T, Huang H. miR-33a-5p modulates TNF-Î±-inhibited osteogenic differentiation by targeting SATB2 expression in hBMSCs. FEBS Lett. 2016;590:396-407 pubmed publisher..We thus conclude that miR-33a-5p plays a central role in this complex regulatory network. These findings will help to understand the regulatory role of miR-33a-5p in the inflammatory process. ..
- Martino F, Carlomosti F, Avitabile D, Persico L, Picozza M, BarillÃ F, et al. Circulating miR-33a and miR-33b are up-regulated in familial hypercholesterolaemia in paediatric age. Clin Sci (Lond). 2015;129:963-72 pubmed publisher..05 respectively). Although it is only explorative, the present study could be the first to point to the use of miR-33a and miR-33b as early biomarkers for cholesterol levels in childhood, once validated in independent larger cohorts. ..
- Reynoso R, Laufer N, Hackl M, Skalicky S, Monteforte R, Turk G, et al. MicroRNAs differentially present in the plasma of HIV elite controllers reduce HIV infection in vitro. Sci Rep. 2014;4:5915 pubmed publisher..Therefore, levels of circulating miRNAs might be of diagnostic and/or prognostic value for HIV infection, and hsa-miR-29b-3p and miR-33a-5p may contribute to the design of new anti-HIV drugs. ..
- Kang J, Kim W, Lee S, Kwon D, Chun J, Son B, et al. TFAP2C promotes lung tumorigenesis and aggressiveness through miR-183- and miR-33a-mediated cell cycle regulation. Oncogene. 2017;36:1585-1596 pubmed publisher..The study provides a mechanism of mitogenic and oncogenic signaling via two functionally opposed miRNAs and suggests that TFAP2C-induced cell cycle hyperactivation contributes to lung tumorigenesis. ..
- Ono K, Horie T, Nishino T, Baba O, Kuwabara Y, Yokode M, et al. MicroRNA-33a/b in lipid metabolism â€“ novel â€œthriftyâ€ models. Circ J. 2015;79:278-84 pubmed publisher..In this review, we describe the current understanding of the function of miR-33a/b in lipid homeostasis, focusing on the "thrifty" aspect. ..
- Zhou J, Xu D, Xie H, Tang J, Liu R, Li J, et al. miR-33a functions as a tumor suppressor in melanoma by targeting HIF-1Î±. Cancer Biol Ther. 2015;16:846-55 pubmed publisher..Finally, we confirmed that HIF-1Î± is a direct target gene of miR-33a. The newly identified miR-33a/HIF-1Î± axis might provide a new strategy for the treatment of melanoma. ..
- Chen W, Zhang M, Zhao G, Fu Y, Zhang D, Zhu H, et al. MicroRNA-33 in atherosclerosis etiology and pathophysiology. Atherosclerosis. 2013;227:201-8 pubmed publisher..Understanding the etiology and pathophysiology of microRNA-33 in atherosclerosis may provide basic knowledge for the development of novel therapeutic targets for ameliorating atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease. ..
- Liao W, Gu C, Huang A, Yao J, Sun R. MicroRNA-33b inhibits tumor cell growth and is associated with prognosis in colorectal cancer patients. Clin Transl Oncol. 2016;18:449-56 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that miR-33b functions as a tumor suppressor gene in CRC through regulating cell proliferation and cell cycle. ..
- Shan Y, Liu Y, Zhao L, Liu B, Li Y, Jia L. MicroRNA-33a and let-7e inhibit human colorectal cancer progression by targeting ST8SIA1. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2017;90:48-58 pubmed publisher..Taken together, altered expression of miR-33a/let-7e was correlated with ST8SIA1 level, which might contribute to CRC progression. The miR-33a/let-7e-ST8SIA1 axis could be a therapeutic target for CRC patients. ..
- Zhang M, Gong W, Zuo B, Chu B, Tang Z, Zhang Y, et al. The microRNA miR-33a suppresses IL-6-induced tumor progression by binding Twist in gallbladder cancer. Oncotarget. 2016;7:78640-78652 pubmed publisher..miR-33a acts as a tumor suppressor miRNA in GBC progression and may be considered for the development of potential therapeutics against GBC. ..
- Wang Y, Zhou X, Shan B, Han J, Wang F, Fan X, et al. Downregulation of microRNAâ€‘33a promotes cyclinâ€‘dependent kinase 6, cyclin D1 and PIM1 expression and gastric cancer cell proliferation. Mol Med Rep. 2015;12:6491-500 pubmed publisher..miRâ€‘33a overexpression may therefore resemble an efficient strategy for gastric cancer therapy. ..
- Ono K, Horie T, Nishino T, Baba O, Kuwabara Y, Kimura T. MicroRNAs and High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Metabolism. Int Heart J. 2015;56:365-71 pubmed publisher..In this review, we describe the current understanding of the functions of miRNAs in HDL metabolism and their potential in therapy for treating cardiometabolic diseases. ..
- Kim J, Yoon H, Horie T, Burchett J, Restivo J, Rotllan N, et al. microRNA-33 Regulates ApoE Lipidation and Amyloid-Î² Metabolism in the Brain. J Neurosci. 2015;35:14717-26 pubmed publisher..We provide a unique approach for AD therapeutics to increase ApoE lipidation and reduce AÎ² levels via pharmacological inhibition of microRNA in vivo. ..
- Zhou Y, Huang Z, Wu S, Zang X, Liu M, Shi J. miR-33a is up-regulated in chemoresistant osteosarcoma and promotes osteosarcoma cell resistance to cisplatin by down-regulating TWIST. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2014;33:12 pubmed publisher..The findings suggest that inhibition of miR-33a/TWIST signaling could be a potential new strategy to enhance neoadjuvant chemotherapy for OS. ..
- Dong J, Liang Y, Zhang J, Wu L, Wang S, Hua Q, et al. Potential Role of Lipometabolism-Related MicroRNAs in Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells as Biomarkers for Coronary Artery Disease. J Atheroscler Thromb. 2017;24:430-441 pubmed publisher..911, 95% CI 0.880-0.942). The increased expression levels of miR-24, miR-33a, miR-103a, and miR-122 in PBMCs are associated with risk of CAD. A panel of the four miRNAs has considerable clinical value in diagnosing stable CAD. ..
- Liang C, Wang Z, Li Y, Yu B, Zhang F, Li H. miR-33a suppresses the nuclear translocation of Î²-catenin to enhance gemcitabine sensitivity in human pancreatic cancer cells. Tumour Biol. 2015;36:9395-403 pubmed publisher..Thus, miR-33a might function as a tumor suppressor to downregulate Î²-catenin expression, affecting cell growth, apoptosis, the EMT, and GEM resistance. ..
- Cirera Salinas D, Pauta M, Allen R, Salerno A, Ramírez C, Chamorro Jorganes A, et al. Mir-33 regulates cell proliferation and cell cycle progression. Cell Cycle. 2012;11:922-33 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these results suggest that Srebp/miR-33 locus may cooperate to regulate cell proliferation, cell cycle progression and may also be relevant to human liver regeneration. ..
- Li Q, Lu S, Li X, Hou G, Yan L, Zhang W, et al. Biological function and mechanism of miR-33a in prostate cancer survival and metastasis: via downregulating Engrailed-2. Clin Transl Oncol. 2017;19:562-570 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that the functional interaction of miR-33a and EN-2 is involved in tumorigenesis of prostate cancer. Also in this process EN-2 serves as a negative responder for miR-33a. ..
- Du M, Zhang Y, Mao Y, Mou J, Zhao J, Xue Q, et al. MiR-33a suppresses proliferation of NSCLC cells via targeting METTL3 mRNA. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;482:582-589 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide new insights into the mechanism of METTL3 regulation by micro RNA, and supports METTL3 as a therapeutic target in NSCLC. ..
- Kuo P, Liao S, Hung J, Huang M, Hsu Y. MicroRNA-33a functions as a bone metastasis suppressor in lung cancer by targeting parathyroid hormone related protein. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1830:3756-66 pubmed publisher..These findings have led us to conclude that miR-33a may be a potent tumor suppressor, which inhibits direct and indirect osteoclastogenesis through repression of PTHrP. miR-33a may even predict a poor prognosis for lung cancer patients. ..
- Wang H, Zhang H, Su J, Zhou W, Wang H, Chen X. [Epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT) and its effect on microRNA expression in lung cancer]. Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi. 2011;33:590-3 pubmed..1% and mir-193a-3p by 56.6%. Epithelial-mesenchymal transition has effects on the expression of miRNAs, and miRNAs may regulate the invasion and metastasis of lung cancer cells via EMT. ..
- Ouimet M, Ediriweera H, Afonso M, Ramkhelawon B, Singaravelu R, Liao X, et al. microRNA-33 Regulates Macrophage Autophagy in Atherosclerosis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017;37:1058-1067 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data provide insight into the mechanisms by which miR-33 regulates cellular cholesterol homeostasis and atherosclerosis. ..
- Meng W, Tai Y, Zhao H, Fu B, Zhang T, Liu W, et al. Downregulation of miR-33a-5p in Hepatocellular Carcinoma: A Possible Mechanism for Chemotherapy Resistance. Med Sci Monit. 2017;23:1295-1304 pubmed
- Rice S, Lai S, Wood L, Helsley K, Runkle E, Winslow M, et al. MicroRNA-33a mediates the regulation of high mobility group AT-hook 2 gene (HMGA2) by thyroid transcription factor 1 (TTF-1/NKX2-1). J Biol Chem. 2013;288:16348-60 pubmed publisher..Future studies will be dedicated to understanding how miRNAs influence the oncogenic activity of TTF-1 and the role of TTF-1 in cholesterol metabolism. ..
- Lendvai G, JÃ¡rmay K, KarÃ¡csony G, HalÃ¡sz T, Kovalszky I, Baghy K, et al. Elevated miR-33a and miR-224 in steatotic chronic hepatitis C liver biopsies. World J Gastroenterol. 2014;20:15343-50 pubmed publisher..Differences in miRNA expression were observed between CHC and steatotic CHC, CHC and steatotic liver, but not between steatotic CHC and steatotic liver of metabolic origin. ..
- Goedeke L, Vales Lara F, Fenstermaker M, Cirera Salinas D, Chamorro Jorganes A, Ramírez C, et al. A regulatory role for microRNA 33* in controlling lipid metabolism gene expression. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:2339-52 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these data support a regulatory role for the miRNA* species and suggest that miR-33 regulates lipid metabolism through both arms of the miR-33/miR-33* duplex. ..
- Wei M, Xie Q, Zhu J, Wang T, Zhang F, Cheng Y, et al. MicroRNA-33 suppresses CCL2 expression in chondrocytes. Biosci Rep. 2016;36: pubmed publisher..In summary, we identified miR-33 as a novel suppressor of CCL2 in chondrocytes. The miR-33/CCL2 axis in chondrocytes regulates monocyte chemotaxis, providing a potential mechanism of macrophage infiltration in OA. ..
- Karunakaran D, Thrush A, Nguyen M, Richards L, Geoffrion M, Singaravelu R, et al. Macrophage Mitochondrial Energy Status Regulates Cholesterol Efflux and Is Enhanced by Anti-miR33 in Atherosclerosis. Circ Res. 2015;117:266-78 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of mitochondrial ATP synthase markedly reduces macrophage cholesterol efflux capacity, and anti-miR33 required fully functional mitochondria to enhance ABCA1-mediated cholesterol efflux...
- Garcia Rodriguez S, Arias Santiago S, Orgaz Molina J, Magro Checa C, Valenzuela I, Navarro P, et al. Abnormal levels of expression of plasma microRNA-33 in patients with psoriasis. Actas Dermosifiliogr. 2014;105:497-503 pubmed publisher..The study of circulating miRNA-33 in psoriasis may provide new insights about the associated systemic inflammatory abnormalities. ..