Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: MIR145
Description: microRNA 145
Alias: MIRN145, miR-145, miRNA145
- Long X, Miano J. Transforming growth factor-beta1 (TGF-beta1) utilizes distinct pathways for the transcriptional activation of microRNA 143/145 in human coronary artery smooth muscle cells. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:30119-29 pubmed publisher..Pre-miR145 strongly promoted SMC differentiation, whereas an anti-miR145 partially blocked TGF-?1-induced SMC differentiation...
- Wang C, Zhou Z, Wang L, Yang L, Zhou B, Gu J, et al. Clinicopathological significance of microRNA-31, -143 and -145 expression in colorectal cancer. Dis Markers. 2009;26:27-34 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the miR-31 overexpression may be involved in the development and progression of CRC. The miR-143 and miR-145 may play a certain role in the development of colon and/or rectal cancers but not in progression of the disease. ..
- Villadsen S, Bramsen J, Ostenfeld M, Wiklund E, Fristrup N, Gao S, et al. The miR-143/-145 cluster regulates plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 in bladder cancer. Br J Cancer. 2012;106:366-74 pubmed publisher..We also demonstrate mRNA co-targeting by a cluster of non-family miRNAs, and suggest miR-145 and PAI-1 as clinically relevant biomarkers in bladder cancer. ..
- Kano M, Seki N, Kikkawa N, Fujimura L, Hoshino I, Akutsu Y, et al. miR-145, miR-133a and miR-133b: Tumor-suppressive miRNAs target FSCN1 in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Int J Cancer. 2010;127:2804-14 pubmed publisher..The identification of tumor-suppressive miRNAs, miR-145, miR-133a and miR-133b, directly control oncogenic FSCN1 gene. These signal pathways of ESCC could provide new insights into potential mechanisms of ESCC carcinogenesis. ..
- Fuse M, Nohata N, Kojima S, Sakamoto S, Chiyomaru T, Kawakami K, et al. Restoration of miR-145 expression suppresses cell proliferation, migration and invasion in prostate cancer by targeting FSCN1. Int J Oncol. 2011;38:1093-101 pubmed publisher..The identification of tumor suppressive miRNAs and their target genes could provide new insights into the potential mechanisms of prostate carcinogenesis. ..
- Campayo M, Navarro A, Viñolas N, Diaz T, Tejero R, Gimferrer J, et al. Low miR-145 and high miR-367 are associated with unfavourable prognosis in resected nonsmall cell lung cancer. Eur Respir J. 2013;41:1172-8 pubmed publisher..011) were independent markers of shorter TTR. In conclusion, miR-145 and miR-367 expression could be novel markers for relapse in surgically treated NSCLC. p53 may play a role in modulating miR-145 expression in NSCLC. ..
- Ikemura K, Yamamoto M, Miyazaki S, Mizutani H, Iwamoto T, Okuda M. MicroRNA-145 post-transcriptionally regulates the expression and function of P-glycoprotein in intestinal epithelial cells. Mol Pharmacol. 2013;83:399-405 pubmed publisher..In addition, the downregulation of miR-145 should significantly contribute to the elevated intestinal P-gp expression after liver I/R. Our results provide new insight into the post-transcriptional regulation of intestinal P-gp. ..
- Ostenfeld M, Bramsen J, Lamy P, Villadsen S, Fristrup N, Sørensen K, et al. miR-145 induces caspase-dependent and -independent cell death in urothelial cancer cell lines with targeting of an expression signature present in Ta bladder tumors. Oncogene. 2010;29:1073-84 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that reduction in miR-145 expression may provide bladder cancer cells with a selective advantage by inhibition of cell death otherwise triggered in malignant cells. ..
- Cho W, Chow A, Au J. Restoration of tumour suppressor hsa-miR-145 inhibits cancer cell growth in lung adenocarcinoma patients with epidermal growth factor receptor mutation. Eur J Cancer. 2009;45:2197-206 pubmed publisher..Further study on these specific differentially expressed miRNAs may provide important information on peculiar tumourigenetic pathways and may identify useful biomarkers. ..
- Chiyomaru T, Enokida H, Tatarano S, Kawahara K, Uchida Y, Nishiyama K, et al. miR-145 and miR-133a function as tumour suppressors and directly regulate FSCN1 expression in bladder cancer. Br J Cancer. 2010;102:883-91 pubmed publisher..The immunohistochemical score of FSCN1 in invasive BC (n=46) was significantly higher than in non-invasive BC (n=20) (P=0.0055). Tumour suppressive miR-145 and miR-133a directly control oncogenic FSCN1 in BC. ..
- Megiorni F, Cialfi S, Cimino G, De Biase R, Dominici C, Quattrucci S, et al. Elevated levels of miR-145 correlate with SMAD3 down-regulation in cystic fibrosis patients. J Cyst Fibros. 2013;12:797-802 pubmed publisher..miR-494 and miR-145 may, therefore, be potential biomarker and therapeutic target to specific CF clinical manifestations. ..
- Akagi I, Miyashita M, Ishibashi O, Mishima T, Kikuchi K, Makino H, et al. Relationship between altered expression levels of MIR21, MIR143, MIR145, and MIR205 and clinicopathologic features of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Dis Esophagus. 2011;24:523-30 pubmed publisher..there is little information on the clinicopathologic significance of cancer-related miRNAs (MIR21, MIR143, MIR144, MIR145, and MIR205) in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC)...
- Sachdeva M, Mo Y. MicroRNA-145 suppresses cell invasion and metastasis by directly targeting mucin 1. Cancer Res. 2010;70:378-87 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that as a tumor suppressor, miR-145 inhibits not only tumor growth but also cell invasion and metastasis. ..
- Pagliuca A, Valvo C, Fabrizi E, Di Martino S, Biffoni M, Runci D, et al. Analysis of the combined action of miR-143 and miR-145 on oncogenic pathways in colorectal cancer cells reveals a coordinate program of gene repression. Oncogene. 2013;32:4806-13 pubmed publisher..Major mediators of the oncosuppression by miR-143 and miR-145 are genes belonging to the growth factor receptor-mitogen-activated protein kinase network and to the p53 signaling pathway. ..
- Takagi T, Iio A, Nakagawa Y, Naoe T, Tanigawa N, Akao Y. Decreased expression of microRNA-143 and -145 in human gastric cancers. Oncology. 2009;77:12-21 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings suggest that miR-143 and miR-145 act as anti-oncomirs common to gastrointestinal tumors. ..
- Lee H, Bier A, Cazacu S, Finniss S, Xiang C, Twito H, et al. MicroRNA-145 is downregulated in glial tumors and regulates glioma cell migration by targeting connective tissue growth factor. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e54652 pubmed publisher..Transfection of glioma cells with miR-145 mimic or transduction with a lentivirus vector expressing pre-miR 145 significantly decreased the migration and invasion of glioma cells...
- Speranza M, Frattini V, Pisati F, Kapetis D, Porrati P, Eoli M, et al. NEDD9, a novel target of miR-145, increases the invasiveness of glioblastoma. Oncotarget. 2012;3:723-34 pubmed..Our results demonstrate the critical role of miR-145 and NEDD9 in regulating glioblastoma invasion and suggest a potential role of NEDD9 as a biomarker for glioma progression. ..
- Boucher J, Peterson S, Urs S, Zhang C, Liaw L. The miR-143/145 cluster is a novel transcriptional target of Jagged-1/Notch signaling in vascular smooth muscle cells. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:28312-21 pubmed publisher..We propose miR-143/145 as activated independently by Jag-1/Notch and SRF in parallel pathways. Multiple pathways converging on miR-143/145 provides potential for fine-tuning or amplification of VSMC differentiation signals. ..
- La Rocca G, Badin M, Shi B, Xu S, deAngelis T, Sepp Lorenzinoi L, et al. Mechanism of growth inhibition by MicroRNA 145: the role of the IGF-I receptor signaling pathway. J Cell Physiol. 2009;220:485-91 pubmed publisherMicroRNA 145 (miR145) has been proposed as a tumor suppressor. It was previously shown that miR145 targets the 3' UTR of the insulin receptor substrate-1 (IRS-1) and dramatically inhibits the growth of colon cancer cells...
- Jia Y, Liu H, Zhuang Q, Xu S, Yang Z, Li J, et al. Tumorigenicity of cancer stem-like cells derived from hepatocarcinoma is regulated by microRNA-145. Oncol Rep. 2012;27:1865-72 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data indicate that miR-145 plays an important role in cancer stem cell tumorigenicity, potentially via modulation of the downstream target, Oct4. ..
- Avgeris M, Stravodimos K, Fragoulis E, Scorilas A. The loss of the tumour-suppressor miR-145 results in the shorter disease-free survival of prostate cancer patients. Br J Cancer. 2013;108:2573-81 pubmed publisher..The loss of the tumour-suppressor miR-145 increases the risk for disease progression and predicts the poor survival of PCa patients. ..
- Chen Z, Zeng H, Guo Y, Liu P, Pan H, Deng A, et al. miRNA-145 inhibits non-small cell lung cancer cell proliferation by targeting c-Myc. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2010;29:151 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study results demonstrate that miR-145 inhibits proliferation of NSCLC cells through c-Myc. Increasing miR-145 expression may provide a novel approach for the treatment of NSCLC. ..
- Kent O, Fox Talbot K, Halushka M. RREB1 repressed miR-143/145 modulates KRAS signaling through downregulation of multiple targets. Oncogene. 2013;32:2576-85 pubmed publisher..These results establish a complex network of regulation through which the miR-143/145 cluster is able to modulate KRAS signaling in colorectal cancer. ..
- Zhang W, Wang Q, Yu M, Wu N, Wang H. MicroRNA-145 function as a cell growth repressor by directly targeting c-Myc in human ovarian cancer. Technol Cancer Res Treat. 2014;13:161-8 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that miR-145 inhibits cell proliferation and promotes cell apoptosis by targeting c-Myc 3'-UTR. Therefore, the result indicated that miR- 145 could be used as a potential therapeutic target in ovarian cancer. ..
- Wang F, Xia J, Wang N, Zong H. miR-145 inhibits proliferation and invasion of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in part by targeting c-Myc. Onkologie. 2013;36:754-8 pubmed publisher..Our findings revealed that miR-145 may act as a tumor suppressor in ESCC, and its dysregulation may be involved in the initiation and development of human ESCC. ..
- Wang S, Bian C, Yang Z, Bo Y, Li J, Zeng L, et al. miR-145 inhibits breast cancer cell growth through RTKN. Int J Oncol. 2009;34:1461-6 pubmed..Furthermore, down-regulation of RTKN by siRNA can inhibit MCF-7 cell growth. Taken together, we propose that loss of miR-145 may provide a selective growth advantage for MCF-7 by targeting RTKN. ..
- Batliner J, Buehrer E, Fey M, Tschan M. Inhibition of the miR-143/145 cluster attenuated neutrophil differentiation of APL cells. Leuk Res. 2012;36:237-40 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that low miR-145 levels in APL, possibly due to aberrant expression of p73 transcription factors, contribute to the differentiation block seen in this disease. ..
- Kohlstedt K, Trouvain C, Boettger T, Shi L, Fisslthaler B, Fleming I. AMP-activated protein kinase regulates endothelial cell angiotensin-converting enzyme expression via p53 and the post-transcriptional regulation of microRNA-143/145. Circ Res. 2013;112:1150-8 pubmed publisher..AMPK?2 suppresses endothelial ACE expression via the phosphorylation of p53 and upregulation of miR-143/145. Post-transcriptional regulation of miR-143/145 may contribute to the vascular complications associated with diabetes mellitus. ..
- Cho W, Chow A, Au J. MiR-145 inhibits cell proliferation of human lung adenocarcinoma by targeting EGFR and NUDT1. RNA Biol. 2011;8:125-31 pubmed..Understanding miR-145's targets and its regulating pathways may lead to new therapeutic strategies for lung adenocarcinoma. ..
- Santovito D, Mandolini C, Marcantonio P, De Nardis V, Bucci M, Paganelli C, et al. Overexpression of microRNA-145 in atherosclerotic plaques from hypertensive patients. Expert Opin Ther Targets. 2013;17:217-23 pubmed publisher..Future investigations will be necessary to establish the molecular readout of miR-145 upregulation in atherosclerotic lesions in hypertension. ..
- Law P, Ching A, Chan A, Wong Q, Wong C, To K, et al. MiR-145 modulates multiple components of the insulin-like growth factor pathway in hepatocellular carcinoma. Carcinogenesis. 2012;33:1134-41 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study shows for the first time the pleiotropic effect of miR-145 in targeting multiple components of the oncogenic IGF signaling pathway in HCC. ..
- Zhang J, Guo H, Qian G, Ge S, Ji H, Hu X, et al. MiR-145, a new regulator of the DNA fragmentation factor-45 (DFF45)-mediated apoptotic network. Mol Cancer. 2010;9:211 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals a previously unrecognized function of miR-145 in DFF45 processing, which may underlie crucial aspects of cancer biology. ..
- La Rocca G, Shi B, Audia A, Ferrari Amorotti G, Mellert H, Calabretta B, et al. Regulation of microRNA-145 by growth arrest and differentiation. Exp Cell Res. 2011;317:488-95 pubmed publisherMicroRNA145 (miR145), a tumor suppressor miR, has been reported to inhibit growth of human cancer cells, to induce differentiation and to cause apoptosis, all conditions that result in growth arrest...
- Gotte M, Mohr C, Koo C, Stock C, Vaske A, Viola M, et al. miR-145-dependent targeting of junctional adhesion molecule A and modulation of fascin expression are associated with reduced breast cancer cell motility and invasiveness. Oncogene. 2010;29:6569-80 pubmed publisher..Our data provide a rationale for future miR-145-targeted approaches of antimetastatic cancer therapy. ..
- Wu Y, Liu S, Xin H, Jiang J, Younglai E, Sun S, et al. Up-regulation of microRNA-145 promotes differentiation by repressing OCT4 in human endometrial adenocarcinoma cells. Cancer. 2011;117:3989-98 pubmed publisher..Our results strongly suggested that miR-145 is a tumor cell differentiation-inducing agent in endometrial carcinoma, and that miR-145 or OCT4 may be useful markers for grading endometrial carcinoma. ..
- Doberstein K, Steinmeyer N, Hartmetz A, Eberhardt W, Mittelbronn M, Harter P, et al. MicroRNA-145 targets the metalloprotease ADAM17 and is suppressed in renal cell carcinoma patients. Neoplasia. 2013;15:218-30 pubmed..In summary, miR-145 is downregulated in renal cancer patients, which leads to the up-regulation of ADAM17 in renal cancer. Importantly, miR-145 and ADAM17 are regulated in a reciprocal negative feedback loop. ..
- Shi B, Sepp Lorenzino L, Prisco M, Linsley P, deAngelis T, Baserga R. Micro RNA 145 targets the insulin receptor substrate-1 and inhibits the growth of colon cancer cells. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:32582-90 pubmed..We show here that one of the miRs predicted by the data base, miR145, whether transfected as a synthetic oligonucleotide or expressed from a plasmid, causes down-regulation of IRS-1 ..
- Kang S, Ha Y, Kim S, Kang S, Park H, Lee J, et al. Do microRNA 96, 145 and 221 expressions really aid in the prognosis of prostate carcinoma?. Asian J Androl. 2012;14:752-7 pubmed publisher..To utilize miRNA as a diagnostic tool in clinical practice, more research is needed to understand miRNA mechanisms, identify miRNA targets, and further characterize miRNA function. ..
- Zaman M, Chen Y, Deng G, Shahryari V, Suh S, Saini S, et al. The functional significance of microRNA-145 in prostate cancer. Br J Cancer. 2010;103:256-64 pubmed publisher..One of the genes significantly upregulated by miR-145 overexpression is the proapoptotic gene TNFSF10. Therefore, modulation of miR-145 may be an important therapeutic approach for the management of prostate cancer. ..
- Davis Dusenbery B, Chan M, Reno K, Weisman A, Layne M, Lagna G, et al. down-regulation of Kruppel-like factor-4 (KLF4) by microRNA-143/145 is critical for modulation of vascular smooth muscle cell phenotype by transforming growth factor-beta and bone morphogenetic protein 4. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:28097-110 pubmed publisher..Thus, this study sheds light on both the similarities and the differences of TGF-? and BMP4 signaling in the regulation of KLF4 and contractile genes. ..
- Xu N, Papagiannakopoulos T, Pan G, Thomson J, Kosik K. MicroRNA-145 regulates OCT4, SOX2, and KLF4 and represses pluripotency in human embryonic stem cells. Cell. 2009;137:647-58 pubmed publisher..This work reveals a direct link between the core reprogramming factors and miR-145 and uncovers a double-negative feedback loop involving OCT4, SOX2, KLF4, and miR-145. ..
- Kent O, Chivukula R, Mullendore M, Wentzel E, Feldmann G, Lee K, et al. Repression of the miR-143/145 cluster by oncogenic Ras initiates a tumor-promoting feed-forward pathway. Genes Dev. 2010;24:2754-9 pubmed publisher..Additionally, KRAS and RREB1 are targets of miR-143/miR-145, revealing a feed-forward mechanism that potentiates Ras signaling. ..
- Chen X, Gong J, Zeng H, Chen N, Huang R, Huang Y, et al. MicroRNA145 targets BNIP3 and suppresses prostate cancer progression. Cancer Res. 2010;70:2728-38 pubmed publisherThe putative tumor suppressor miR145 is transcriptionally regulated by TP53 and is downregulated in many tumors; however, its role in prostate cancer is unknown...
- Jain A, Allton K, Iacovino M, Mahen E, Milczarek R, Zwaka T, et al. p53 regulates cell cycle and microRNAs to promote differentiation of human embryonic stem cells. PLoS Biol. 2012;10:e1001268 pubmed publisher..These studies underscore the importance of a p53-regulated network in determining the human stem cell state. ..
- Gao P, Xing A, Zhou G, Zhang T, Zhang J, Gao C, et al. The molecular mechanism of microRNA-145 to suppress invasion-metastasis cascade in gastric cancer. Oncogene. 2013;32:491-501 pubmed publisher..We suggest that miR-145 suppresses tumor metastasis by inhibiting N-cadherin protein translation, and then indirectly downregulates its downstream effector MMP9. ..
- Suh S, Chen Y, Zaman M, Hirata H, Yamamura S, Shahryari V, et al. MicroRNA-145 is regulated by DNA methylation and p53 gene mutation in prostate cancer. Carcinogenesis. 2011;32:772-8 pubmed publisher..The apoptotic cells are increased after WT p53 transfection. In summary, this is the first report documenting that downregulation of miR-145 is through DNA methylation and p53 mutation pathways in prostate cancer. ..
- Gregersen L, Jacobsen A, Frankel L, Wen J, Krogh A, Lund A. MicroRNA-145 targets YES and STAT1 in colon cancer cells. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e8836 pubmed publisher..The study identifies and validates new cancer-relevant direct targets of miR-145 in colon cancer cells and hereby adds important mechanistic understanding of the tumor-suppressive functions of miR-145. ..
- Lu Y, Chopp M, Zheng X, Katakowski M, Buller B, Jiang F. MiR-145 reduces ADAM17 expression and inhibits in vitro migration and invasion of glioma cells. Oncol Rep. 2013;29:67-72 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results suggest that as a tumor suppressor, miR-145 inhibits not only tumor proliferation, but also cell migration and invasion, and warrants further investigation. ..
- Spizzo R, Nicoloso M, Lupini L, Lu Y, Fogarty J, Rossi S, et al. miR-145 participates with TP53 in a death-promoting regulatory loop and targets estrogen receptor-alpha in human breast cancer cells. Cell Death Differ. 2010;17:246-54 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our findings support a view that miR-145 re-expression therapy could be mainly envisioned in the specific group of patients with ER-alpha-positive and/or TP53 wild-type tumors. ..
- Arndt G, Dossey L, Cullen L, Lai A, Druker R, Eisbacher M, et al. Characterization of global microRNA expression reveals oncogenic potential of miR-145 in metastatic colorectal cancer. BMC Cancer. 2009;9:374 pubmed publisher..The identified biological processes and signalling pathways collectively targeted by co-expressed miRNAs in CRC provide a basis for understanding the functional role of miRNAs in cancer. ..
- Wang C, Tao W, Ni S, Chen Q, Zhao Z, Ma L, et al. Tumor-suppressive microRNA-145 induces growth arrest by targeting SENP1 in human prostate cancer cells. Cancer Sci. 2015;106:375-82 pubmed publisher..MicroRNA-145 also suppressed tumor formation inÂ vivo in nude mice. Taken together, miR-145 plays an important role in tumorigenesis of PCa through interfering SENP1. ..
- Gao M, Miao L, Liu M, Li C, Yu C, Yan H, et al. miR-145 sensitizes breast cancer to doxorubicin by targeting multidrug resistance-associated protein-1. Oncotarget. 2016;7:59714-59726 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study revealed miR-145 sensitizes breast cancer to doxorubicin by targeting MRP1 and indicated the potential application in developing MRP1 inhibitor. ..
- Karatas O, Suer I, Yuceturk B, Yilmaz M, Hajiyev Y, Creighton C, et al. The role of miR-145 in stem cell characteristics of human laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma Hep-2 cells. Tumour Biol. 2016;37:4183-92 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, we propose that miR-145 might carry crucial roles in LSCC tumorigenesis, prognosis, metastasis, chemoresistance, and recurrence through regulating stem cell properties of tumor cells. ..
- Lin Y, Ge X, Wen Y, Shi Z, Chen Q, Wang M, et al. MiRNA-145 increases therapeutic sensibility to gemcitabine treatment of pancreatic adenocarcinoma cells. Oncotarget. 2016;7:70857-70868 pubmed publisher..Our findings revealed a new mechanism underlying gemcitabine chemoresistance in pancreatic adenocarcinoma cells. ..
- Riches K, Huntriss J, Keeble C, Wood I, O Regan D, Turner N, et al. Mapping the methylation status of the miR-145 promoter in saphenous vein smooth muscle cells from individuals with type 2 diabetes. Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2017;14:122-129 pubmed publisher..Crucially, miR-145 methylation is highly variable between patients, serving as a cautionary note for future studies of this region in primary human cell types. ..