Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: MIR138-1
Description: microRNA 138-1
- Yang H, Luo J, Liu Z, Zhou R, Luo H. MicroRNA-138 Regulates DNA Damage Response in Small Cell Lung Cancer Cells by Directly Targeting H2AX. Cancer Invest. 2015;33:126-36 pubmed publisher..To date, there has been no study showing the role of miR-138/H2AX machinery in SCLC development. Our results may shed a light to development of new lines of SCLC diagnosis and treatment approaches. ..
- Chen P, Zeng M, Zhao Y, Fang X. Upregulation of Limk1 caused by microRNA-138 loss aggravates the metastasis of ovarian cancer by activation of Limk1/cofilin signaling. Oncol Rep. 2014;32:2070-6 pubmed publisher..The results provide evidence supporting miR-138/Limk1 as a novel diagnostic or therapeutic target for ovarian cancer. ..
- Erdmann K, Kaulke K, Rieger C, Wirth M, Fuessel S. Induction of alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase by miR-138 via up-regulation of ?-catenin in prostate cancer cells. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2017;143:2201-2210 pubmed publisher..The present findings suggest that miR-138 can indirectly up-regulate AMACR via transcriptional induction of CTNNB1, at least in vitro in PCa cells. ..
- Yang Q, Wang X, Tang C, Chen X, He J. H19 promotes the migration and invasion of colon cancer by sponging miR-138 to upregulate the expression of HMGA1. Int J Oncol. 2017;50:1801-1809 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our research indicated an H19-miR138-HMGA1 pathway in regulating the migration and invasion of colon cancer, providing new insight for treatment of colon cancer. ..
- Yang R, Liu M, Liang H, Guo S, Guo X, Yuan M, et al. miR-138-5p contributes to cell proliferation and invasion by targeting Survivin in bladder cancer cells. Mol Cancer. 2016;15:82 pubmed..Taken together, our findings provide the first clues regarding the role of miR-138-5p as a tumor suppressor in bladder cancer by inhibiting BIRC5 translation. ..
- Sen A, Ren S, Lerchenmüller C, Sun J, Weiss N, Most P, et al. MicroRNA-138 regulates hypoxia-induced endothelial cell dysfunction by targeting S100A1. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e78684 pubmed publisher..These effects were reversed by gene transfer of S100A1 using recombinant adenovirus. We conclude that hypoxia-induced MiR-138 is an essential mediator of EC dysfunction via its ability to target the 3'UTR of S100A1. ..
- Yang H, Tang Y, Guo W, Du Y, Wang Y, Li P, et al. Up-regulation of microRNA-138 induce radiosensitization in lung cancer cells. Tumour Biol. 2014;35:6557-65 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data demonstrate that the miR-138/SENP1 cascade is relative to radiosensitization in lung cancer cells and is a potential radiotherapy target. ..
- Lee Y, Tzeng W, Chiou T, Chu S. MicroRNA-138 suppresses neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin expression and inhibits tumorigenicity. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52979 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that NGAL may be a good target for cancer therapy and suggest that miR-138 acts as a tumor suppressor and may prevent metastasis. ..
- Eskildsen T, Taipaleenmaki H, Stenvang J, Abdallah B, Ditzel N, Nossent A, et al. MicroRNA-138 regulates osteogenic differentiation of human stromal (mesenchymal) stem cells in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:6139-44 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that pharmacological inhibition of miR-138 by antimiR-138 could represent a therapeutic strategy for enhancing bone formation in vivo. ..
- Zhang F, Li T, Han L, Qin P, Wu Z, Xu B, et al. TGFÎ²1-induced down-regulation of microRNA-138 contributes to epithelial-mesenchymal transition in primary lung cancer cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2018;496:1169-1175 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings indicate TGFÎ²1-induced down-regulation of microRNA-138 contributes to EMT in primary lung cancer cells, and suggest that miR-138 might serve as a potential therapeutic target. ..
- Denis H, Van Grembergen O, Delatte B, Dedeurwaerder S, Putmans P, Calonne E, et al. MicroRNAs regulate KDM5 histone demethylases in breast cancer cells. Mol Biosyst. 2016;12:404-13 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our findings suggest that miRNAs may regulate KDM5 histone demethylase levels in breast cancer and thereby control breast cancer cell proliferation and migration. ..
- He S, Liu P, Jian Z, Li J, Zhu Y, Feng Z, et al. miR-138 protects cardiomyocytes from hypoxia-induced apoptosis via MLK3/JNK/c-jun pathway. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;441:763-9 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates that up-regulation of miR-138 plays a protective role in myocardial adaptation to chronic hypoxia, which is mediated mainly by MLK3/JNK/c-jun signaling pathway. ..
- Long L, Huang G, Zhu H, Guo Y, Liu Y, Huo J. Down-regulation of miR-138 promotes colorectal cancer metastasis via directly targeting TWIST2. J Transl Med. 2013;11:275 pubmed publisher..These data highlight a pivotal role for miR-138 in the regulation of CRC metastasis by targeting TWIST2, and suggest a potential application of miR-138 in prognosis prediction and CRC treatment. ..
- Liang Z, Feng Q, Xu L, Li S, Zhou L. CREPT regulated by miR-138 promotes breast cancer progression. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:263-269 pubmed publisher..Mechanistically, CREPT regulated ?-catenin/TCF4/cyclin D1 pathway in BC. In conclusion, the data suggested that miR-138/CREPT involved BC progression, providing potential therapeutic targets for BC. ..
- Han L, Zhang G, Zhang N, Li H, Liu Y, Fu A, et al. Prognostic potential of microRNA-138 and its target mRNA PDK1 in sera for patients with non-small cell lung cancer. Med Oncol. 2014;31:129 pubmed publisher..More importantly, miR-138 and PDK1 may synergistically predict patients' prognosis and their combination may represent a promising prognostic biomarker of human NSCLC...
- Li J, Xia W, Su X, Qin X, Chen Y, Li S, et al. Species-specific mutual regulation of p53 and miR-138 between human, rat and mouse. Sci Rep. 2016;6:26187 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest the existence of species-specific differences of the regulations of miRNA against its targets and the regulations of miRNA itself by other proteins. ..
- Chen H, Xiao Q, Hu Y, Chen L, Jiang K, Tang Y, et al. ANGPTL1 attenuates colorectal cancer metastasis by up-regulating microRNA-138. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2017;36:78 pubmed publisher..ANGPTL1 expression was down-regulated in CRC tissues and inversely correlated with poor survival. ANGPTL1 repressed migration and invasion of CRC cells, and microRNA-138 was involved in this process. ..
- Fu D, Yu W, Li M, Wang H, Liu D, Song X, et al. MicroRNA-138 regulates the balance of Th1/Th2 via targeting RUNX3 in psoriasis. Immunol Lett. 2015;166:55-62 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study suggests that increased miR-138 regulates the balance of Th1/Th2 through inhibiting RUNX3 expression in psoriasis, providing a potential therapeutic target for psoriasis. ..
- Wu L, Dai X, Zhan J, Zhang Y, Zhang H, Zhang H, et al. Profiling peripheral microRNAs in obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus. APMIS. 2015;123:580-5 pubmed publisher..The study results suggest the potential utility of miRNAs in the prediction for obesity and T2DM. ..
- Yu C, Wang M, Li Z, Xiao J, Peng F, Guo X, et al. MicroRNA-138-5p regulates pancreatic cancer cell growth through targeting FOXC1. Cell Oncol (Dordr). 2015;38:173-81 pubmed publisher..Over-expression of miR-138-5p may serve as a novel approach for the treatment of patients with pancreatic cancer. ..
- Zuo C, Sheng X, Liu Z, Ma M, Xiong S, Deng H, et al. MicroRNA-138 enhances TRAIL-induced apoptosis through interferon-stimulated gene 15 downregulation in hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317710410 pubmed publisher..MiR-138 may be a target for therapeutic intervention in TRAIL-based drug treatments of resistant hepatocellular carcinoma or could be a biomarker to select patients who may benefit from the treatment. ..
- Zhuang Z, Xie N, Hu J, Yu P, Wang C, Hu X, et al. Interplay between Î”Np63 and miR-138-5p regulates growth, metastasis and stemness of oral squamous cell carcinoma. Oncotarget. 2017;8:21954-21973 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our data reveal that the interplay between Î”Np63 and miR-138-5p promotes OSCC progression by regulating cell growth, metastasis and stemness. ..
- Yamasaki T, Seki N, Yamada Y, Yoshino H, Hidaka H, Chiyomaru T, et al. Tumor suppressive microRNA?138 contributes to cell migration and invasion through its targeting of vimentin in renal cell carcinoma. Int J Oncol. 2012;41:805-17 pubmed publisher..The existence of a tumor suppressive miR?138-mediated oncogenic pathway provides new insights into the potential mechanisms of RCC oncogenesis and metastasis. ..
- Wang X, Tan L, Lu Y, Peng J, Zhu Y, Zhang Y, et al. MicroRNA-138 promotes tau phosphorylation by targeting retinoic acid receptor alpha. FEBS Lett. 2015;589:726-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data suggest that miR-138 promotes tau phosphorylation by targeting the RARA/GSK-3Î² pathway. ..
- Zhu Z, Tang J, Wang J, Duan G, Zhou L, Zhou X. MiR-138 Acts as a Tumor Suppressor by Targeting EZH2 and Enhances Cisplatin-Induced Apoptosis in Osteosarcoma Cells. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0150026 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the present study demonstrates that miR-138 acts as a tumor suppressor by enhancing osteosarcoma cell chemosensitivity and supports its potential application for treating osteosarcoma in the future. ..
- Tan Y, Hu H, Tan W, Jin L, Liu J, Zhou H. MicroRNA-138 inhibits migration and invasion of non-small cell lung cancer cells by targeting LIMK1. Mol Med Rep. 2016;14:4422-4428 pubmed publisher..Therefore, miR-138/LIMK1/cofilin may be considered a potential therapeutic target for the treatment of NSCLC. ..
- Yang T, Li H, Thakur A, Chen T, Xue J, Li D, et al. FOXP4 modulates tumor growth and independently associates with miR-138 in non-small cell lung cancer cells. Tumour Biol. 2015;36:8185-91 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrated that FOXP4 was a critical regulator in NSCLC and independently associated with miR-138 regulation. ..
- Feng S, Chu R, Ma J, Wang Z, Zhang G, Yang X, et al. MicroRNA138 regulates keratin 17 protein expression to affect HaCaT cell proliferation and apoptosis by targeting hTERT in psoriasis vulgaris. Biomed Pharmacother. 2017;85:169-176 pubmed publisher..MiR-138 may regulate K17 protein expression to affect HaCaT cell proliferation and apoptosis by targeting hTERT gene. ..
- Gao W, Lam J, Li J, Chen S, Tsang R, Chan J, et al. MicroRNA-138-5p controls sensitivity of nasopharyngeal carcinoma to radiation by targeting EIF4EBP1. Oncol Rep. 2017;37:913-920 pubmed publisher..Further studies are warranted to investigate the potential use of miR-138-5p in the clinical management and treatment prediction of NPC patients. ..
- Qin Y, Xie X, Liu H, Lai H, Qiu H, Ge L. Screening and preliminary validation of miRNAs with the regulation of hTERT in colorectal cancer. Oncol Rep. 2015;33:2728-36 pubmed publisher..The results indicated that miR-138-5p and miR-422a potentially inhibited hTERT expression in CRC, and suggest a potential application of miRâ€‘422a in prognosis prediction and CRC treatment. ..
- Li J, Wang H, Yao Y, Sun Q, Liu Z, Liu S, et al. Overexpression of microRNA-138 alleviates human coronary artery endothelial cell injury and inflammatory response by inhibiting the PI3K/Akt/eNOS pathway. J Cell Mol Med. 2017;21:1482-1491 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that up-regulation of miR-138 alleviates HCAEC injury and inflammatory response by inhibiting the PI3K/Akt/eNOS signalling pathway. ..
- Tanaka K, Kawano M, Itonaga I, Iwasaki T, Miyazaki M, Ikeda S, et al. Tumor suppressive microRNA-138 inhibits metastatic potential via the targeting of focal adhesion kinase in Ewing's sarcoma cells. Int J Oncol. 2016;48:1135-44 pubmed publisher..The data in the present study demonstrates for the first time a novel mechanism that regulates the expression of FAK via miRâ€‘138 in ES cells. ..
- Wang Y, Zhang Z, Wang H, Zhang Y, Ji M, Xu H, et al. miR-138-1* regulates aflatoxin B1-induced malignant transformation of BEAS-2B cells by targeting PDK1. Arch Toxicol. 2016;90:1239-49 pubmed publisher..Still, the study provides a novel insight into the roles of miRNA* during carcinogenesis, particularly airborne carcinogens-induced lung cancer. ..
- Wang Y, Huang J, Li M, Cavenee W, Mitchell P, Zhou X, et al. MicroRNA-138 modulates DNA damage response by repressing histone H2AX expression. Mol Cancer Res. 2011;9:1100-11 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that miR-138 is an important regulator of genomic stability and a potential therapeutic agent to improve the efficacy of radiotherapy and chemotherapy with DNA-damaging agents. ..
- Wang B, Wang D, Yan T, Yuan H. MiR-138-5p promotes TNF-?-induced apoptosis in human intervertebral disc degeneration by targeting SIRT1 through PTEN/PI3K/Akt signaling. Exp Cell Res. 2016;345:199-205 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the miR-138-5p/SIRT1/PTEN/PI3K/Akt signaling pathway might represent a novel therapeutic target for the prevention of IDD. ..
- Xiao L, Zhou H, Li X, Chen J, Fang C, Mao C, et al. MicroRNA-138 acts as a tumor suppressor in non small cell lung cancer via targeting YAP1. Oncotarget. 2016;7:40038-40046 pubmed publisher..Its mRNA levels were reversely correlated with the miR-138 levels in NSCLC tissues. In summary, our study suggests that miR-138 may play a suppressive role in the growth and metastasis of NSCLC cells partly at least by targeting YAP1. ..
- Zhao L, Yu H, Yi S, Peng X, Su P, Xiao Z, et al. The tumor suppressor miR-138-5p targets PD-L1 in colorectal cancer. Oncotarget. 2016;7:45370-45384 pubmed publisher..Targeting PD-L1, possibly by administering miR-138-5p mimics, might be a clinically effective anti-CRC therapeutic strategy. ..
- Wang J, Paris P, Chen J, Ngo V, Yao H, Frazier M, et al. Next generation sequencing of pancreatic cyst fluid microRNAs from low grade-benign and high grade-invasive lesions. Cancer Lett. 2015;356:404-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings make a compelling case for undertaking in-depth analyses of cyst fluid miRNomes for developing informative early detection biomarkers of pancreatic cancer developing from pancreatic cystic lesions. ..
- Seidl C, Martinez Sanchez A, Murphy C. Derepression of MicroRNA-138 Contributes to Loss of the Human Articular Chondrocyte Phenotype. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2016;68:398-409 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of miR-138 may serve as a potential therapeutic strategy to maintain the chondrocyte phenotype or reduce the progression of dedifferentiation in cultured HACs. ..
- Nardelli C, Granata I, Iaffaldano L, D Argenio V, Del Monaco V, Maruotti G, et al. miR-138/miR-222 Overexpression Characterizes the miRNome of Amniotic Mesenchymal Stem Cells in Obesity. Stem Cells Dev. 2017;26:4-14 pubmed publisher..This raises the possibility of using diet-based strategies to normalize the perinatal miRNome in obesity. ..
- Stojcheva N, Schechtmann G, Sass S, Roth P, Florea A, Stefanski A, et al. MicroRNA-138 promotes acquired alkylator resistance in glioblastoma by targeting the Bcl-2-interacting mediator BIM. Oncotarget. 2016;7:12937-50 pubmed publisher..Our data thus define miR-138 as a glioblastoma cell survival-promoting miRNA associated with resistance to TMZ therapy in vitro and with tumor progression in vivo. ..
- Wang X, Qi G, Zhang J, Wu J, Zhou N, Li L, et al. Knockdown of Long Noncoding RNA Small Nucleolar RNA Host Gene 12 Inhibits Cell Growth and Induces Apoptosis by Upregulating miR-138 in Nonsmall Cell Lung Cancer. DNA Cell Biol. 2017;36:892-900 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings suggested that knockdown of SNHG12 suppressed cell growth and induced apoptosis by upregulating miR-138 in NSCLC. ..
- Berg V, Rusch M, Vartak N, JÃ¼ngst C, Schauss A, Waldmann H, et al. miRs-138 and -424 control palmitoylation-dependent CD95-mediated cell death by targeting acyl protein thioesterases 1 and 2 in CLL. Blood. 2015;125:2948-57 pubmed publisher..Here, we introduce palmitoylation as a novel posttranslational modification in CLL, which might impact on localization, mobility, and function of molecules, survival signaling, and migration. ..
- Gong H, Song L, Lin C, Liu A, Lin X, Wu J, et al. Downregulation of miR-138 sustains NF-?B activation and promotes lipid raft formation in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2013;19:1083-93 pubmed publisher..Our results show that miR-138 functions as a tumor-suppressive miRNA and that downregulation of miR-138 contributes to constitutive NF-?B activation and ESCC progression. ..
- Jiang B, Mu W, Wang J, Lu J, Jiang S, Li L, et al. MicroRNA-138 functions as a tumor suppressor in osteosarcoma by targeting differentiated embryonic chondrocyte gene 2. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2016;35:69 pubmed publisher..miR-138 inhibited cell proliferation and invasion, as well as promoted cell apoptosis of human osteosarcoma cells, at least partially, by inhibiting the expression of DEC2. MiR-138/DEC2 may be a novel therapeutic target in osteosarcoma. ..
- Pan D, Flores O, Umbach J, Pesola J, Bentley P, Rosato P, et al. A neuron-specific host microRNA targets herpes simplex virus-1 ICP0 expression and promotes latency. Cell Host Microbe. 2014;15:446-56 pubmed publisher..Thus, miR-138 is a neuronal factor that represses HSV-1 lytic gene expression, promoting host survival and viral latency. ..
- Tian S, Guo X, Yu C, Sun C, Jiang J. miR-138-5p suppresses autophagy in pancreatic cancer by targeting SIRT1. Oncotarget. 2017;8:11071-11082 pubmed publisher..Finally, we found that miR-138-5p inhibited autophagy and tumor growth in vivo. These results indicate that miR-138-5p suppresses autophagy in pancreatic cancer by targeting SIRT1. ..
- Sen A, Most P, Peppel K. Induction of microRNA-138 by pro-inflammatory cytokines causes endothelial cell dysfunction. FEBS Lett. 2014;588:906-14 pubmed publisher..We show that loss of S100A1 in ECs reduces stimulus-induced NO production, which can be prevented by inhibition of miR-138. Our study suggests that targeting miR-138 might be beneficial for the treatment of cardiovascular disease. ..
- Shiu T, Shih Y, Feng A, Lin H, Huang S, Huang T, et al. HCV core inhibits hepatocellular carcinoma cell replicative senescence through downregulating microRNA-138 expression. J Mol Med (Berl). 2017;95:629-639 pubmed publisher..Telomerase reverse transcriptase represents a direct target of miR-138 in HCC cells. miR-138 promotes HCC cell senescence, suggesting potential for HCC treatment. ..
- Han L, Fu T, Lin Y, Miao J, Jiang Q. MicroRNA-138 negatively regulates non-small cell lung cancer cells through the interaction with cyclin D3. Tumour Biol. 2016;37:291-8 pubmed publisher..Our study revealed novel anti-cancer effects of miR-138 upregulation in NSCLC, as well as its new molecular target of CCND3. ..
- Zheng S, Zhang X, Wang X, Li J. Downregulation of miR-138 predicts poor prognosis in patients with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Biomark. 2017;20:49-54 pubmed publisher..Finally, downregulation of miR-138 was demonstrated to be an independent prognostic risk factor for ESCC. In conclusion, both tissue and serum miR-138 levels are reduced in ESCC, and might be promising prognostic biomarkers for ESCC. ..
- Qiu S, Huang D, Yin D, Li F, Li X, Kung H, et al. Suppression of tumorigenicity by microRNA-138 through inhibition of EZH2-CDK4/6-pRb-E2F1 signal loop in glioblastoma multiforme. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1832:1697-707 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data demonstrate a tumor suppressive role of miRNA-138 in GBM tumorigenicity, suggesting a potential application in GBM therapy. ..
- Sha H, Wang D, Chen D, Liu S, Wang Z, Yan D, et al. MiR-138: A promising therapeutic target for cancer. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317697575 pubmed publisher..In this review, we summarize the expression of miR-138 on regulatory mechanisms and tumor biological processes, which will establish molecular basis on the usage of miR-138 in clinical applications in the future. ..
- Zhou W, Zhou W, Zeng Q, Xiong J. MicroRNA-138 inhibits hypoxia-induced proliferation of endothelial progenitor cells via inhibition of HIF-1?-mediated MAPK and AKT signaling. Exp Ther Med. 2017;13:1017-1024 pubmed publisher..In summary, the present study suggested that miR-138 inhibits hypoxia-induced EPC proliferation, possibly by inhibiting HIF-1?-mediated signaling. ..
- Li B, Yang X, Wang D, Ji H. MicroRNA-138 inhibits proliferation of cervical cancer cells by targeting c-Met. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2016;20:1109-14 pubmed..These findings demonstrated that miR-138 inhibited cervical cancer cells proliferation via c-Met, providing a novel target for the molecular treatment of cervical cancer. ..
- Xiao Y, Fan P, Lei S, Qi M, Yang X. MiR-138/peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor Î² signaling regulates human hypertrophic scar fibroblast proliferation and movement in vitro. J Dermatol. 2015;42:485-95 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study provides evidence to help determine whether miR-138/PPARÎ² signaling may be a potential target for hypertrophic scarring management. ..