Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: MgtE
Description: solute carrier family 41 member 1
Alias: MgtE, solute carrier family 41 member 1, solute carrier family 41 (magnesium transporter), member 1
- Feord H, Dear F, Obbard D, van Ooijen G. A Magnesium Transport Protein Related to Mammalian SLC41 and Bacterial MgtE Contributes to Circadian Timekeeping in a Unicellular Green Alga. Genes (Basel). 2019;10: pubmed publisher..We employed the cellular clock model Ostreococcus tauri to provide a first study of an MgtE domain-containing protein in the green lineage...
- Meurer M, Hocherl K. Deregulated renal magnesium transport during lipopolysaccharide-induced acute kidney injury in mice. Pflugers Arch. 2019;471:619-631 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that endotoxemia is associated with hypermagnesemia and a disturbed Mg2+ handling. It seems likely that LPS-induced hypermagnesemia is due to the decrease in renal function in response to LPS. ..
- Giménez Mascarell P, González Recio I, Fernández Rodríguez C, Oyenarte I, Muller D, Martinez Chantar M, et al. Current Structural Knowledge on the CNNM Family of Magnesium Transport Mediators. Int J Mol Sci. 2019;20: pubmed publisher..knowledge on the CNNM family, highlighting similarities and differences with the closely related structural partners such as the bacterial Mg2+/Co2+ efflux protein CorC and the Mg2+ channel MgtE.
- Shin J, Wakeman C, Goodson J, Rodionov D, Freedman B, Senger R, et al. Transport of magnesium by a bacterial Nramp-related gene. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004429 pubmed publisher..5-2.0 mM). Three families of transport proteins were previously identified for magnesium import: CorA, MgtE, and MgtA/MgtB P-type ATPases...
- Arjona F, Latta F, Mohammed S, Thomassen M, Van Wijk E, Bindels R, et al. SLC41A1 is essential for magnesium homeostasis in vivo. Pflugers Arch. 2018;: pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that SLC41A1 facilitates renal Mg2+ reabsorption in the zebrafish model. Furthermore, our data suggest that SLC41A1 mediates both Mg2+ uptake and extrusion. ..
- Haruyama T, Sugano Y, Kodera N, Uchihashi T, Ando T, Tanaka Y, et al. Single-Unit Imaging of Membrane Protein-Embedded Nanodiscs from Two Oriented Sides by High-Speed Atomic Force Microscopy. Structure. 2019;27:152-160.e3 pubmed publisher..imaging of membrane proteins reconstituted into nanodiscs using two membrane protein complexes, SecYEG complex and MgtE dimer...
- Lin L, Yan M, Wu B, Lin R, Zheng Z. Expression of magnesium transporter SLC41A1 in the striatum of 6-hydroxydopamine-induced parkinsonian rats. Brain Res Bull. 2018;142:338-343 pubmed publisher..The regulation of SLC41A1 expression is responsive to magnesium in a 6-OHDA-induced rat model, wherein 6-OHDA may alter magnesium transport in the brain. ..
- Rodríguez Ramírez M, Rodriguez Moran M, Reyes Romero M, Guerrero Romero F. Effect of oral magnesium supplementation on the transcription of TRPM6, TRPM7, and SLC41A1 in individuals newly diagnosed of pre-hypertension. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Magnes Res. 2017;30:80-87 pubmed publisher..7 ± 0.6, pNS) showed no significant differences, between the magnesium and placebo groups, respectively. Oral magnesium supplementation increases the leukocyte TRPM6 mRNA relative expression, in subjects with new diagnosis of preHTN. ..
- Akanuma G, Kobayashi A, Suzuki S, Kawamura F, Shiwa Y, Watanabe S, et al. Defect in the formation of 70S ribosomes caused by lack of ribosomal protein L34 can be suppressed by magnesium. J Bacteriol. 2014;196:3820-30 pubmed publisher..Although the Î”rpmH mutant exhibited a severe slow-growth phenotype, additional mutations in the yhdP or mgtE gene restored the growth rate of the Î”rpmH strain...
- Uddin M, Balaravi Pillai B, Tha K, Ashaie M, Karim M, Chowdhury E. Carbonate Apatite Nanoparticles-Facilitated Intracellular Delivery of siRNA(s) Targeting Calcium Ion Channels Efficiently Kills Breast Cancer Cells. Toxics. 2018;6: pubmed publisher..Therefore, CA-siRNA-facilitated gene knockdown in vitro holds a high prospect for deregulating cell proliferation and survival pathways through the modulation of Ca2+ signaling in breast cancer cells. ..
- Akanuma G, Yamazaki K, Yagishi Y, Iizuka Y, Ishizuka M, Kawamura F, et al. Magnesium Suppresses Defects in the Formation of 70S Ribosomes as Well as in Sporulation Caused by Lack of Several Individual Ribosomal Proteins. J Bacteriol. 2018;200: pubmed publisher..The deletion of YhdP, an exporter of Mg2+, and overexpression of MgtE, the main importer of Mg2+, increased the cellular Mg2+ content and restored the formation of ..
- Chan K, Chacko S, Song Y, Cho M, Eaton C, Wu W, et al. Genetic variations in magnesium-related ion channels may affect diabetes risk among African American and Hispanic American women. J Nutr. 2015;145:418-24 pubmed publisher..01) were significantly associated with T2D risk. Our findings suggest important associations between genetic variations in magnesium-related ion channel genes and T2D risk in AA and HA women that vary by amount of magnesium intake. ..
- Locatelli M, Yerlikaya Ş, Baloglu M, Zengin G, Altunoğlu Y, Cacciagrano F, et al. Investigations into the therapeutic potential of Asphodeline liburnica roots: In vitro and in silico biochemical and toxicological perspectives. Food Chem Toxicol. 2018;120:172-182 pubmed publisher..The extract exhibited radical scavenging ability against DPPH and ABTS with values of 13.23 and 66.99 mgTE/g extract, respectively. Good inhibitory activity against tyrosinase was recorded...
- Corral RodrÃguez M, Stuiver M, Abascal Palacios G, Diercks T, Oyenarte I, EreÃ±o Orbea J, et al. Nucleotide binding triggers a conformational change of the CBS module of the magnesium transporter CNNM2 from a twisted towards a flat structure. Biochem J. 2014;464:23-34 pubmed publisher..domain structurally equivalent to the region involved in Mg2+ handling by the bacterial Mg2+ transporter MgtE, and AMP binding by the Mg2+ efflux protein CorC...
- Takeda H, Hattori M, Nishizawa T, Yamashita K, Shah S, Caffrey M, et al. Structural basis for ion selectivity revealed by high-resolution crystal structure of Mg2+ channel MgtE. Nat Commun. 2014;5:5374 pubmed publisherMagnesium is the most abundant divalent cation in living cells and is crucial to several biological processes. MgtE is a Mg(2+) channel distributed in all domains of life that contributes to the maintenance of cellular Mg(2+) homeostasis...
- PihlstrÃ¸m L, Rengmark A, BjÃ¸rnarÃ¥ K, Dizdar N, Fardell C, Forsgren L, et al. Fine mapping and resequencing of the PARK16 locus in Parkinson's disease. J Hum Genet. 2015;60:357-62 pubmed publisher..Comparing our results with previous work, allelic heterogeneity at PARK16 appears likely, and further studies are warranted to disentangle the complex patterns of association and pinpoint the functionally relevant variants. ..
- de Baaij J, Kompatscher A, Viering D, Bos C, Bindels R, Hoenderop J. P2X6 Knockout Mice Exhibit Normal Electrolyte Homeostasis. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0156803 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data suggests that purinergic signaling via P2X6 is not significantly involved in the regulation of renal electrolyte handling under normal physiological conditions. ..
- Lin L, Ke Z, Lv M, Lin R, Wu B, Zheng Z. Effects of MgSO4 and magnesium transporters on 6-hydroxydopamine-induced SH-SY5Y cells. Life Sci. 2017;172:48-54 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that MgSO4 may protect SH-SY5Y cells against 6-OHDA-induced cell injury and that gene expression of SLC41A1, NIPA1, MagT1, and CNNM2 might be involved in dopaminergic neurons. ..
- Amiri F, Kariminejad A. Juvenile nephronophthisis and dysthyroidism: a rare association. CEN Case Rep. 2017;6:98-104 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, loss of function mutation in SLC41A1 gene that leads to magnesium depletion must be noted in patients with suspected to nephronophthisis. ..
- Nestler A, Rylander R, Kolisek M, Nielsen T, Ã–dman N, Vormann J, et al. Blood pressure in pregnancy and magnesium sensitive genes. Pregnancy Hypertens. 2014;4:41-5 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that magnesium is involved in the regulation of blood pressure during pregnancy. ..
- Bennett B, Redford K, Gralnick J. MgtE Homolog FicI Acts as a Secondary Ferrous Iron Importer in Shewanella oneidensis Strain MR-1. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2018;84: pubmed publisher..Many metal transport proteins have been discovered in bacteria, including the Mg2+ transporter E (MgtE) family of passive Mg2+/Co2+ cation-selective channels...
- Venco P, Bonora M, Giorgi C, Papaleo E, Iuso A, Prokisch H, et al. Mutations of C19orf12, coding for a transmembrane glycine zipper containing mitochondrial protein, cause mis-localization of the protein, inability to respond to oxidative stress and increased mitochondrial CaÂ²âº. Front Genet. 2015;6:185 pubmed publisher..in a structural domain, which is homologs to the N-terminal regulatory domain of the magnesium transporter MgtE, suggesting that C19orf12 may act as a regulatory protein for human MgtE transporters...
- de Baaij J, Arjona F, van den Brand M, Lavrijsen M, Lameris A, Bindels R, et al. Identification of SLC41A3 as a novel player in magnesium homeostasis. Sci Rep. 2016;6:28565 pubmed publisher..Remarkably, some of the Slc41a3(-/-) mice developed severe unilateral hydronephrosis. In conclusion, SLC41A3 was established as a new factor for Mg(2+) handling. ..
- Kolisek M, Montezano A, Sponder G, Anagnostopoulou A, Vormann J, Touyz R, et al. PARK7/DJ-1 dysregulation by oxidative stress leads to magnesium deficiency: implications in degenerative and chronic diseases. Clin Sci (Lond). 2015;129:1143-50 pubmed publisher..SLC41A1 (solute carrier family 41 member 1), the gene encoding a ubiquitous cellular Mg(2+)E (Mg(2+)efflux) system, has been shown to be ..
- Mocan A, Moldovan C, Zengin G, Bender O, Locatelli M, Simirgiotis M, et al. UHPLC-QTOF-MS analysis of bioactive constituents from two Romanian Goji (Lycium barbarum L.) berries cultivars and their antioxidant, enzyme inhibitory, and real-time cytotoxicological evaluation. Food Chem Toxicol. 2018;115:414-424 pubmed publisher..Overall, Goji berries are a rich source of bioactive compounds with functional properties that need further risk/benefit evaluation when used in foods or health-promoting formulations. ..
- Kodzhahinchev V, Kovacevic D, Bucking C. Identification of the putative goldfish (Carassius auratus) magnesium transporter SLC41a1 and functional regulation in the gill, kidney, and intestine in response to dietary and environmental manipulations. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2017;206:69-81 pubmed publisher..g. <24h) was not observed. Overall the data supports transcriptional regulation of SLC41a1 reflecting a possible role in magnesium loss or secretion across tissues in fish. ..
- Hurd T, Otto E, Mishima E, Gee H, Inoue H, Inazu M, et al. Mutation of the Mg2+ transporter SLC41A1 results in a nephronophthisis-like phenotype. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013;24:967-77 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data suggest that defects in the maintenance of renal Mg(2+) homeostasis may lead to tubular defects that result in a phenotype similar to NPHP...
- Lin C, Wu Y, Chen W, Wang H, Lee C, Lee Chen G, et al. Variant R244H in Na+/Mg2+ exchanger SLC41A1 in Taiwanese Parkinson's disease is associated with loss of Mg2+ efflux function. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2014;20:600-3 pubmed publisher..This study has shown loss of Mg(2+) efflux function consequent to SLC41A1 R244H variant and SLC41A1 coding variants seem to be rare in Taiwanese PD. ..
- Madadi F, Khaniani M, Shandiz E, Ayromlou H, Najmi S, Emamalizadeh B, et al. Genetic Analysis of the ZNF512B, SLC41A1, and ALDH2 Polymorphisms in Parkinson's Disease in the Iranian Population. Genet Test Mol Biomarkers. 2016;20:629-632 pubmed..94 for allele frequencies). We did not find any associations between PD and the rs2275294 and rs4767944 polymorphisms. The association of rs11240569 polymorphism in SLC41A1 gene with reduced risk of PD was replicated in our population. ..
- Kolisek M, Sponder G, Mastrototaro L, Smorodchenko A, Launay P, Vormann J, et al. Substitution p.A350V in Na?/Mg²? exchanger SLC41A1, potentially associated with Parkinson's disease, is a gain-of-function mutation. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e71096 pubmed publisher..A350V might result, in the long-term, in chronic intracellular Mg²?-deficiency, a condition that is found in various brain regions of PD patients and that exacerbates processes triggering neuronal damage. ..
- Kolisek M, Galaviz Hernandez C, Vázquez Alaniz F, Sponder G, Javaid S, Kurth K, et al. SLC41A1 is the only magnesium responsive gene significantly overexpressed in placentas of preeclamptic women. Hypertens Pregnancy. 2013;32:378-89 pubmed publisher..To examine expression profile of magnesium responsive genes (MRGs) in placentas of normoevolutive and preeclamptic women...
- Chakravarty S, Melton C, Bailin A, Yahr T, Anderson G. Pseudomonas aeruginosa Magnesium Transporter MgtE Inhibits Type III Secretion System Gene Expression by Stimulating rsmYZ Transcription. J Bacteriol. 2017;199: pubmed publisher..aeruginosa infections. In a previous study, we found that expression of the magnesium transporter gene mgtE inhibits T3SS gene transcription...
- Tomita A, Zhang M, Jin F, Zhuang W, Takeda H, Maruyama T, et al. ATP-dependent modulation of MgtE in Mg2+ homeostasis. Nat Commun. 2017;8:148 pubmed publisherMagnesium is an essential ion for numerous physiological processes. MgtE is a Mg2+ selective channel involved in the maintenance of intracellular Mg2+ homeostasis, whose gating is regulated by intracellular Mg2+<..
- Mastrototaro L, Tietjen U, Sponder G, Vormann J, Aschenbach J, Kolisek M. Insulin Modulates the Na+/Mg2+ Exchanger SLC41A1 and Influences Mg2+ Efflux from Intracellular Stores in Transgenic HEK293 Cells. J Nutr. 2015;145:2440-7 pubmed publisher..In addition, p38 MAPK activates SLC41A1 independently of INS action. ..
- Kim S, Shin C, Jee S. Genetic variants at 1q32.1, 10q11.2 and 19q13.41 are associated with prostate-specific antigen for prostate cancer screening in two Korean population-based cohort studies. Gene. 2015;556:199-205 pubmed publisher..We suggest that our results for some but not all PCa risk SNPs to be associated with PSA levels could be used as an evidence for the advance of individual PCa screening strategies, such as applying a personalized cutoff value for PSA. ..
- Sun J, Tao S, Gao Y, Peng T, Tan A, Zhang H, et al. Genome-wide association study identified novel genetic variant on SLC45A3 gene associated with serum levels prostate-specific antigen (PSA) in a Chinese population. Hum Genet. 2013;132:423-9 pubmed publisher..Identification of these genetic markers provides new insight into the molecular mechanisms of PSA. Taking individual variation into account, these genetic variants may improve the performance of PSA to predict prostate cancer. ..
- Tsao Y, Shih Y, Liu Y, Liu Y, Lee O. Knockdown of SLC41A1 magnesium transporter promotes mineralization and attenuates magnesium inhibition during osteogenesis of mesenchymal stromal cells. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2017;8:39 pubmed publisher..Tissue-specific SLC41A1 could be a potential treatment for bone mass loss; in addition, caution should be taken regarding the role of magnesium in osteoporosis and the design of magnesium alloys for implantation. ..
- Wang L, Cheng L, Li N, Yu W, Sun X, Peng R. Genetic analysis of SLC41A1 in Chinese Parkinson's disease patients. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2015;168:706-11 pubmed publisherSequence variants in SLC41A1 (solute carrier family 41 member 1) within the PARK16 locus have been reported to be associated with Parkinson's disease (PD)...
- Al Olama A, Kote Jarai Z, Berndt S, Conti D, Schumacher F, Han Y, et al. A meta-analysis of 87,040 individuals identifies 23 new susceptibility loci for prostate cancer. Nat Genet. 2014;46:1103-9 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new regions for investigation into the pathogenesis of prostate cancer and demonstrate the usefulness of combining ancestrally diverse populations to discover risk loci for disease. ..