Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: MEL1
Description: PR/SET domain 16
Alias: CMD1LL, KMT8F, LVNC8, MEL1, PFM13, PR domain zinc finger protein 16, MDS1/EVI1-like gene 1, PR domain 16, PR domain containing 16, transcription factor MEL1
Publications114 found, 100 shown here
- Pinheiro I, Margueron R, Shukeir N, Eisold M, Fritzsch C, Richter F, et al. Prdm3 and Prdm16 are H3K9me1 methyltransferases required for mammalian heterochromatin integrity. Cell. 2012;150:948-60 pubmed publisher..Our data identify Prdm3 and Prdm16 as H3K9me1 methyltransferases and expose a functional framework in which anchoring to the nuclear periphery helps maintain the integrity of mammalian heterochromatin. ..
- FernÃ¡ndez Galilea M, PÃ©rez Matute P, Prieto Hontoria P, Houssier M, Burrell M, Langin D, et al. Î±-Lipoic acid treatment increases mitochondrial biogenesis and promotes beige adipose features in subcutaneous adipocytes from overweight/obese subjects. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1851:273-81 pubmed publisher..Moreover, Î±-Lip up-regulated PR domain containing 16 (Prdm16) mRNA levels in treated adipocytes...
- Kim E, Lim S, Kim M, Yoo S, Kim Y. Phyllodulcin, a Natural Sweetener, Regulates Obesity-Related Metabolic Changes and Fat Browning-Related Genes of Subcutaneous White Adipose Tissue in High-Fat Diet-Induced Obese Mice. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..supplementation significantly increased the expression of fat browning-related genes, including PR domain containing 16 (Prdm16), uncoupling protein 1 (UCP1), and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor ? ..
- Williams L, Seki Y, Delahaye F, Cheng A, Fuloria M, Hughes Einstein F, et al. DNA hypermethylation of CD3(+) T cells from cord blood of infants exposed to intrauterine growth restriction. Diabetologia. 2016;59:1714-23 pubmed publisher..HELP tagging data: Gene Expression Omnibus database (GSE77268), scheduled to be released on 25 January 2019. ..
- Pierre J, Martinez K, Ye H, Nadimpalli A, Morton T, Yang J, et al. Activation of bile acid signaling improves metabolic phenotypes in high-fat diet-induced obese mice. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2016;311:G286-304 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates that enhancement of BA signaling regulates glucose and lipid homeostasis, promotes thermogenesis, and modulates the gut microbiota, which collectively resulted in an improved metabolic phenotype. ..
- Desjardins E, Steinberg G. Emerging Role of AMPK in Brown and Beige Adipose Tissue (BAT): Implications for Obesity, Insulin Resistance, and Type 2 Diabetes. Curr Diab Rep. 2018;18:80 pubmed publisher..results in the activation of BAT and the browning of WAT, effects which may involve demethylation of the PR domain containing 16 (Prdm16) promoter region, which is important for BAT development...
- Van De Pette M, Tunster S, McNamara G, Shelkovnikova T, Millership S, Benson L, et al. Cdkn1c Boosts the Development of Brown Adipose Tissue in a Murine Model of Silver Russell Syndrome. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1005916 pubmed publisher..further show that Cdkn1c is required for post-transcriptional accumulation of the brown fat determinant PR domain containing 16 (PRDM16) and that CDKN1C and PRDM16 co-localise to the nucleus of rare label-retaining cell within iBAT...
- Suarez J, Rivera P, Arrabal S, Crespillo A, Serrano A, Baixeras E, et al. Oleoylethanolamide enhances β-adrenergic-mediated thermogenesis and white-to-brown adipocyte phenotype in epididymal white adipose tissue in rat. Dis Model Mech. 2014;7:129-41 pubmed publisher..We propose that the combination of β-adrenergic and PPARα receptor agonists promotes therapeutic adipocyte remodelling in eWAT, and therefore has a potential clinical utility in the treatment of obesity. ..
- Rachid T, Penna de Carvalho A, Bringhenti I, Aguila M, Mandarim de Lacerda C, Souza Mello V. PPAR-Î± agonist elicits metabolically active brown adipocytes and weight loss in diet-induced obese mice. Cell Biochem Funct. 2015;33:249-56 pubmed publisher..PPAR-Î³ coactivator 1Î±, nuclear respiratory factor 1, mitochondrial transcription factor A (Tfam), PR domain containing 16 (PRDM16), Î²-3 adrenergic receptor (Î²3-AR), bone morphogenetic protein 8B and uncoupling protein 1 ..
- Rabhi N, Hannou S, Gromada X, Salas E, Yao X, Oger F, et al. Cdkn2a deficiency promotes adipose tissue browning. Mol Metab. 2018;8:65-76 pubmed publisher..Modulating Cdkn2a-regulated signaling cascades may be of interest for the treatment of metabolic disorders. ..
- Zhang D, Qu L, Ma L, Zhou Y, Wang G, Zhao X, et al. Genome-wide identification of transcription factors that are critical to non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Lett. 2018;434:132-143 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that tobacco smoke can modulate TFs to facilitate lung carcinogenesis, and inhibition of IRX5 may have therapeutic potentials in NSCLCs. ..
- Lone J, Choi J, Kim S, Yun J. Curcumin induces brown fat-like phenotype in 3T3-L1 and primary white adipocytes. J Nutr Biochem. 2016;27:193-202 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that curcumin plays a dual modulatory role in inhibition of adipogenesis as well as induction of the brown fat-like phenotype and thus may have potential therapeutic implications for treatment of obesity. ..
- Lee H, Yang G, Han S, Lee J, An T, Jang J, et al. Anti-obesity potential of Glycyrrhiza uralensis and licochalcone A through induction of adipocyte browning. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2018;503:2117-2123 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that G. uralensis and LicoA are effective to reduce obesity and to recover metabolic homeostasis by inducing the brown fat phenotype. ..
- Sevillano J, Sánchez Alonso M, Zapatería B, Calderon M, Alcala M, Limones M, et al. Pleiotrophin deletion alters glucose homeostasis, energy metabolism and brown fat thermogenic function in mice. Diabetologia. 2019;62:123-135 pubmed publisher..These findings open therapeutic avenues for the treatment of metabolic disorders by targeting pleiotrophin in the crosstalk between white and brown adipose tissue. ..
- Li Q, Hua Y, Yang Y, He X, Zhu W, Wang J, et al. T Cell Factor 7 (TCF7)/TCF1 Feedback Controls Osteocalcin Signaling in Brown Adipocytes Independent of the Wnt/β-Catenin Pathway. Mol Cell Biol. 2018;38: pubmed publisher..Hence, our study described a TCF7-dependent feedback control of the osteocalcin-GPRC6A axis in brown adipocyte physiologies. ..
- Fu T, Seok S, Choi S, Huang Z, Suino Powell K, Xu H, et al. MicroRNA 34a inhibits beige and brown fat formation in obesity in part by suppressing adipocyte fibroblast growth factor 21 signaling and SIRT1 function. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:4130-42 pubmed publisher..This study identifies miR-34a as an inhibitor of beige and brown fat formation, providing a potential target for treating obesity-related diseases. ..
- Qu L, Liu Q, Zhang Q, Tuo X, Fan D, Deng J, et al. Kiwifruit seed oil prevents obesity by regulating inflammation, thermogenesis, and gut microbiota in high-fat diet-induced obese C57BL/6 mice. Food Chem Toxicol. 2019;125:85-94 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings demonstrated that long-term supplementation KSO ameliorates obesity by reducing inflammation, adipose thermogenesis and gut microbiota dysbiosis. ..
- Imran K, Rahman N, Yoon D, Jeon M, Lee B, Kim Y. Cryptotanshinone promotes commitment to the brown adipocyte lineage and mitochondrial biogenesis in C3H10T1/2 mesenchymal stem cells via AMPK and p38-MAPK signaling. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Biol Lipids. 2017;1862:1110-1120 pubmed publisher..Thus, these findings suggest that CT is a candidate therapeutic agent against obesity working via activation of browning and mitochondrial biogenesis in C3H10T1/2 mesenchymal stem cells. ..
- Pahlavani M, Razafimanjato F, Ramalingam L, Kalupahana N, Moussa H, Scoggin S, et al. Eicosapentaenoic acid regulates brown adipose tissue metabolism in high-fat-fed mice and in clonal brown adipocytes. J Nutr Biochem. 2017;39:101-109 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate a novel and promising role for EPA in preventing obesity via activation of BAT, adding to its known beneficial anti-inflammatory effects. ..
- Tomilov A, Bettaieb A, Kim K, Sahdeo S, Tomilova N, Lam A, et al. Shc depletion stimulates brown fat activity in vivo and in vitro. Aging Cell. 2014;13:1049-58 pubmed publisher..Similarly, in vitro Shc knockdown in BAT cell lines increased their expression of UCP1 and metabolic activity. These data suggest increased BAT activity significantly contributes to the improved metabolic phenotype of ShcKO mice. ..
- Zhou Y, Zhu Y, Dai L, Men Y, Wu J, Zhang J, et al. Efficiency Analysis and Mechanism Insight of that Whole-Cell Biocatalytic Production of Melibiose from Raffinose with Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Appl Biochem Biotechnol. 2017;181:407-423 pubmed publisher..galactosidase, and fructose transporter) involved in process and expression levels of their coding genes (suc2, mel1, and fsy1) were investigated. Conservation of key genes in S. cerevisiae strains was also evaluated...
- Pervaiz T, Sun X, Zhang Y, Tao R, Zhang J, Fang J. Association between Chloroplast and Mitochondrial DNA sequences in Chinese Prunus genotypes (Prunus persica, Prunus domestica, and Prunus avium). BMC Plant Biol. 2015;15:4 pubmed publisher..The MEHO (Peach), MEY1 (Cherry), MEL2 (Plum) and MEL1 (Plum) have 586 bps; while MEY2 (Cherry), MEZI (Plum) and MEHU (Peach) have 585, 584 and 566 bp, respectively...
- Son M, Kim W, Park A, Oh K, Kim J, Han B, et al. Set7/9, a methyltransferase, regulates the thermogenic program during brown adipocyte differentiation through the modulation of p53 acetylation. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2016;431:46-53 pubmed publisher..protein-1 (UCP-1), Cidea, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-? coactivator-1? (PGC-1?), and PR domain containing 16 (PRDM16)...
- Rocha Rodrigues S, Rodríguez A, Gouveia A, Gonçalves I, Becerril S, Ramirez B, et al. Effects of physical exercise on myokines expression and brown adipose-like phenotype modulation in rats fed a high-fat diet. Life Sci. 2016;165:100-108 pubmed publisher..Data suggest that ET-induced myokine production seems to contribute, at least in part, to the "brown-like" phenotype in WAT from rats fed a HFD. ..
- Yang X, Sui W, Dong M, Lim S, Seki T, Guo Z, et al. Switching harmful visceral fat to beneficial energy combustion improves metabolic dysfunctions. JCI Insight. 2017;2:e89044 pubmed publisher..Thus, browning of visceral fat may be a compensatory heating mechanism that could provide a novel therapeutic strategy for treating visceral fat-associated obesity and diabetes. ..
- Lau P, Tuong Z, Wang S, Fitzsimmons R, Goode J, Thomas G, et al. Rorα deficiency and decreased adiposity are associated with induction of thermogenic gene expression in subcutaneous white adipose and brown adipose tissue. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2015;308:E159-71 pubmed publisher..We suggest that enhanced Ucp1 and thermogenic gene expression/activity may be an important contributor to the lean, obesity-resistant phenotype in Rorα-deficient mice. ..
- Zhou J, Cheng M, Boriboun C, Ardehali M, Jiang C, Liu Q, et al. Inhibition of Sam68 triggers adipose tissue browning. J Endocrinol. 2015;225:181-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, Sam68 plays a crucial role in controlling thermogenesis and may be targeted to combat obesity and associated disorders. ..
- Chen Y, Zeng X, Huang X, Serag S, Woolf C, Spiegelman B. Crosstalk between KCNK3-Mediated Ion Current and Adrenergic Signaling Regulates Adipose Thermogenesis and Obesity. Cell. 2017;171:836-848.e13 pubmed publisher..These findings uncover a critical K+-Ca2+-adrenergic signaling axis that acts to dampen thermogenesis, maintain tissue homeostasis, and reveal an electrophysiological regulatory mechanism of adipocyte function. ..
- Nakayama K, Iwamoto S. An adaptive variant of TRIB2, rs1057001, is associated with higher expression levels of thermogenic genes in human subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissues. J Physiol Anthropol. 2017;36:16 pubmed publisher..The higher expression levels of thermogenic genes in individuals homozygous for the adaptive variant of TRIB2 SNP suggest a greater propensity for induction of thermogenesis in adipose tissues in cold environments. ..
- Lu X, Wu Q, Zhang Y, Xu Y. Genomic and transcriptomic analyses of the Chinese Maotai-flavored liquor yeast MT1 revealed its unique multi-carbon co-utilization. BMC Genomics. 2015;16:1064 pubmed publisher..5 Mb smaller than that of S288c. There are 145 MT1-specific genes that are not in S288c, including MEL1, MAL63, KHR1, BIO1 and BIO6...
- Mehrian Shai R, Yalon M, Moshe I, Barshack I, Nass D, Jacob J, et al. Identification of genomic aberrations in hemangioblastoma by droplet digital PCR and SNP microarray highlights novel candidate genes and pathways for pathogenesis. BMC Genomics. 2016;17:56 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our data implicate that cell proliferation and angiogenesis promoting pathways may be involved in the molecular pathogenesis of hemangioblastoma. ..
- Svensson K, Long J, Jedrychowski M, Cohen P, Lo J, Serag S, et al. A Secreted Slit2 Fragment Regulates Adipose Tissue Thermogenesis and Metabolic Function. Cell Metab. 2016;23:454-66 pubmed publisher..Our findings establish a previously unknown peripheral role for Slit2 as a beige fat secreted factor that has therapeutic potential for the treatment of obesity and related metabolic disorders. ..
- Prokesch A, Pelzmann H, Pessentheiner A, Huber K, Madreiter Sokolowski C, Drougard A, et al. N-acetylaspartate catabolism determines cytosolic acetyl-CoA levels and histone acetylation in brown adipocytes. Sci Rep. 2016;6:23723 pubmed publisher..Thereby, we mechanistically connect the NAA pathway to the epigenomic regulation of gene expression, modulating the phenotype of brown adipocytes. ..
- Raje V, Derecka M, Cantwell M, Meier J, Szczepanek K, Sisler J, et al. Kinase Inactive Tyrosine Kinase (Tyk2) Supports Differentiation of Brown Fat Cells. Endocrinology. 2017;158:148-157 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that there are redundant mechanisms by which members of the Jak family can contribute to differentiation of BAT. ..
- Wang C, Liu W, Nie Y, Qaher M, Horton H, Yue F, et al. Loss of MyoD Promotes Fate Transdifferentiation of Myoblasts Into Brown Adipocytes. EBioMedicine. 2017;16:212-223 pubmed publisher..Our results establish MyoD as a negative regulator of brown adipocyte development by upregulating miR-133 to suppress Akt signaling and Prdm16. ..
- Sharma A, Liu X, Hadley D, Hagopian W, Chen W, Onengut Gumuscu S, et al. Identification of non-HLA genes associated with development of islet autoimmunity and type 1 diabetes in the prospective TEDDY cohort. J Autoimmun. 2018;89:90-100 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that a number of low frequency variants influence the risk of developing IA and/or T1D and these variants can be identified by large prospective cohort studies using a survival analysis approach. ..
- Jankovic A, Golic I, Markelic M, Stancic A, Otasevic V, Buzadzic B, et al. Two key temporally distinguishable molecular and cellular components of white adipose tissue browning during cold acclimation. J Physiol. 2015;593:3267-80 pubmed publisher..Both aspects of browning could be important for long-term energy homeostasis and body-weight regulation. ..
- Shao M, Ishibashi J, Kusminski C, Wang Q, Hepler C, Vishvanath L, et al. Zfp423 Maintains White Adipocyte Identity through Suppression of the Beige Cell Thermogenic Gene Program. Cell Metab. 2016;23:1167-1184 pubmed publisher..These data identify Zfp423 as a molecular brake on adipocyte thermogenesis and suggest a therapeutic strategy to unlock the thermogenic potential of white adipocytes in obesity. ..
- Koh E, Chen Y, Bader D, Hamilton M, He B, York B, et al. Mitochondrial Activity in Human White Adipocytes Is Regulated by the Ubiquitin Carrier Protein 9/microRNA-30a Axis. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:24747-24755 pubmed..Taken together, our data demonstrate a previously unappreciated molecular axis that controls browning of human white adipocytes. ..
- Mao L, Lei J, Schoemaker M, Ma B, Zhong Y, Lambers T, et al. Long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids and extensively hydrolyzed casein-induced browning in a Ucp-1 reporter mouse model of obesity. Food Funct. 2018;9:2362-2373 pubmed publisher..UCP-1 and the genes peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1-alpha (PGC1Î±), PR domain containing 16 (PRDM16) and Ucp-1 were examined...
- Liu W, Bi P, Shan T, Yang X, Yin H, Wang Y, et al. miR-133a regulates adipocyte browning in vivo. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003626 pubmed publisher..These results together elucidate a crucial role of miR-133a in the regulation of adipocyte browning in vivo. ..
- Kodo K, Ong S, Jahanbani F, Termglinchan V, Hirono K, Inanloorahatloo K, et al. iPSC-derived cardiomyocytes reveal abnormal TGF-? signalling in left ventricular non-compaction cardiomyopathy. Nat Cell Biol. 2016;18:1031-42 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates that iPSC-CMs are a useful tool for the exploration of pathological mechanisms underlying poorly understood cardiomyopathies including LVNC. ..
- Ma X, Han M, Li D, Hu S, Gilbreath K, Bazer F, et al. L-Arginine promotes protein synthesis and cell growth in brown adipocyte precursor cells via the mTOR signal pathway. Amino Acids. 2017;49:957-964 pubmed publisher..Our results provide a mechanism for arginine supplementation to enhance the development of brown adipose tissue in fetal lambs. ..
- Yang L, Zhang W, Wang Y, Zou T, Zhang B, Xu Y, et al. Hypoxia-induced miR-214 expression promotes tumour cell proliferation and migration by enhancing the Warburg effect in gastric carcinoma cells. Cancer Lett. 2018;414:44-56 pubmed publisher..This study highlights an important role for the hypoxia-miR-214-PRDM16/A2AR pathway in the tumourigenesis of gastric cancer and may facilitate the development of new therapeutics against hypoxic tumours. ..
- Subash Babu P, Alshatwi A. Ononitol monohydrate enhances PRDM16 & UCP-1 expression, mitochondrial biogenesis and insulin sensitivity via STAT6 and LTB4R in maturing adipocytes. Biomed Pharmacother. 2018;99:375-383 pubmed publisher..The mRNA levels of adipocyte browning related genes such as, PR domain containing 16 (PRDM16), peroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 alpha (PPAR?C1?) and uncoupling ..
- Li N, Wang H, Bi Y, Zhou L, Yao X, Yan Z, et al. [Association study of PRDM16 gene polymorphisms with essential hypertension in Xinjiang Uygur population]. Zhonghua Yi Xue Yi Chuan Xue Za Zhi. 2013;30:716-20 pubmed publisherTo assess the association of polymorphisms of PR domain containing 16 gene (PRDM16) with essential hypertension in ethnic Uygur population from Xinjiang, China...
- Ding H, Zheng S, Garcia Ruiz D, Hou D, Wei Z, Liao Z, et al. Fasting induces a subcutaneous-to-visceral fat switch mediated by microRNA-149-3p and suppression of PRDM16. Nat Commun. 2016;7:11533 pubmed publisher..During this fast-induced 'visceralization', upregulation of miR-149-3p directly targets PR domain containing 16 (PRDM16), a key coregulatory protein required for the 'browning' of white fat...
- Choi J, Kim K, Koh E, Lee B. Gelidium elegans Regulates the AMPK-PRDM16-UCP-1 Pathway and Has a Synergistic Effect with Orlistat on Obesity-Associated Features in Mice Fed a High-Fat Diet. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..Thus, we suggest that a combination therapy of GENS and orlistat may positively influence obesity-related health outcomes in a diet-induced obese population. ..
- Hasegawa Y, Ikeda K, Chen Y, Alba D, Stifler D, Shinoda K, et al. Repression of Adipose Tissue Fibrosis through a PRDM16-GTF2IRD1 Complex Improves Systemic Glucose Homeostasis. Cell Metab. 2018;27:180-194.e6 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a mechanism by which repression of obesity-associated adipose tissue fibrosis through the PRDM16 complex leads to an improvement in systemic glucose homeostasis. ..
- Leu S, Tsai Y, Chen W, Hsu C, Lee Y, Cheng P. Raspberry ketone induces brown-like adipocyte formation through suppression of autophagy in adipocytes and adipose tissue. J Nutr Biochem. 2018;56:116-125 pubmed publisher..of 3T3-L1 cells by increasing mitochondrial biogenesis and the expression of browning-specific proteins (PR domain containing 16, PRDM16; peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1-alpha, PGC-1?; uncoupling protein-..
- Luchsinger L, de Almeida M, Corrigan D, Mumau M, Snoeck H. Mitofusin 2 maintains haematopoietic stem cells with extensive lymphoid potential. Nature. 2016;529:528-31 pubmed publisher..These findings provide a mechanism underlying clonal heterogeneity among HSCs and may lead to the design of approaches to bias HSC differentiation into desired lineages after transplantation. ..
- Stiffler M, Grantcharova V, Sevecka M, MacBeath G. Uncovering quantitative protein interaction networks for mouse PDZ domains using protein microarrays. J Am Chem Soc. 2006;128:5913-22 pubmed
- Nishikata I, Nakahata S, Saito Y, Kaneda K, Ichihara E, Yamakawa N, et al. Sumoylation of MEL1S at lysine 568 and its interaction with CtBP facilitates its repressor activity and the blockade of G-CSF-induced myeloid differentiation. Oncogene. 2011;30:4194-207 pubmed publisherb>MEL1 (MDS1/EVI1-like gene 1/PRDM16), which was identified as a gene near the chromosomal breakpoint in t(1;3)(p36;q21)-positive human acute myeloid leukemia cells, belongs to the PRDI-BF1-RIZ1 homologous (PR) domain (PRDM) family of ..
- Morimoto H, Mori J, Nakajima H, Kawabe Y, Tsuma Y, Fukuhara S, et al. Angiotensin 1-7 stimulates brown adipose tissue and reduces diet-induced obesity. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2017;:ajpendo.00192.2017 pubmed publisher..Enhancing Ang 1-7 action represent a promising therapy to increase BAT and to reduce the metabolic complications associated with diet-induced obesity...
- Bloomfield C, Garson O, Volin L, Knuutila S, de la Chapelle A. t(1;3)(p36;q21) in acute nonlymphocytic leukemia: a new cytogenetic-clinicopathologic association. Blood. 1985;66:1409-13 pubmed..No patient had Auer rods. No patient responded to standard chemotherapy regimens. The data suggest that t(1;3)(p36;q21) identifies a new cytogenetic-clinicopathologic subtype of ANLL. ..
- Arndt A, Schafer S, Drenckhahn J, Sabeh M, Plovie E, Caliebe A, et al. Fine mapping of the 1p36 deletion syndrome identifies mutation of PRDM16 as a cause of cardiomyopathy. Am J Hum Genet. 2013;93:67-77 pubmed publisher..with 1p36del syndrome that included only the terminal 14 exons of the transcription factor PRDM16 (PR domain containing 16), a gene that had previously been shown to direct brown fat determination and differentiation...
- Claycombe K, Vomhof DeKrey E, Garcia R, Johnson W, Uthus E, Roemmich J. Decreased beige adipocyte number and mitochondrial respiration coincide with increased histone methyl transferase (G9a) and reduced FGF21 gene expression in Sprague-Dawley rats fed prenatal low protein and postnatal high-fat diets. J Nutr Biochem. 2016;31:113-21 pubmed publisher..Studies have shown that a key transcription factor, PR domain containing 16 (PRDM16), and fibroblast growth factor 21 (FGF21) are involved in conversion of precursor cells into ..
- Zhou B, Wang J, Lee S, Xiong J, Bhanu N, Guo Q, et al. PRDM16 Suppresses MLL1r Leukemia via Intrinsic Histone Methyltransferase Activity. Mol Cell. 2016;62:222-236 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study reveals a previously uncharacterized function of PRDM16 that depends on its PR domain activity. ..
- Zhu S, Xu Y, Song M, Chen G, Wang H, Zhao Y, et al. PRDM16 is associated with evasion of apoptosis by prostatic cancer cells according to RNA interference screening. Mol Med Rep. 2016;14:3357-61 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the present study indicated an important oncogenic role of sPRDM16/MEL1S in PCa and suggested that PRDM16 may represent a novel therapeutic target. ..
- Imran K, Yoon D, Kim Y. A pivotal role of AMPK signaling in medicarpin-mediated formation of brown and beige. Biofactors. 2018;44:168-179 pubmed publisher..2017 BioFactors, 44(2):168-179, 2018. ..
- Sacks H, Fain J, Holman B, Cheema P, Chary A, Parks F, et al. Uncoupling protein-1 and related messenger ribonucleic acids in human epicardial and other adipose tissues: epicardial fat functioning as brown fat. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009;94:3611-5 pubmed publisher..This process could be blunted in the elderly. ..
- Duhoux F, Ameye G, Lambot V, Herens C, Lambert F, Raynaud S, et al. Refinement of 1p36 alterations not involving PRDM16 in myeloid and lymphoid malignancies. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e26311 pubmed publisher..It is unclear how the latter rearrangements occurred and whether they represent oncogenic events or result from chromosomal instability during oncogenesis. ..
- Schürks M. Genetics of migraine in the age of genome-wide association studies. J Headache Pain. 2012;13:1-9 pubmed publisher..Ongoing large international collaborations will likely identify additional gene variants for migraine. ..
- Iida S, Chen W, Nakadai T, Ohkuma Y, Roeder R. PRDM16 enhances nuclear receptor-dependent transcription of the brown fat-specific Ucp1 gene through interactions with Mediator subunit MED1. Genes Dev. 2015;29:308-21 pubmed publisher..Related studies have defined MED1 and PRDM16 interaction domains important for Ucp1 versus Ppargc1a induction by PRDM16. These results reveal novel mechanisms for PRDM16 function through the Mediator complex. ..
- Christensen A, Esserlind A, Werge T, StefÃ¡nsson H, StefÃ¡nsson K, Olesen J. The influence of genetic constitution on migraine drug responses. Cephalalgia. 2016;36:624-39 pubmed publisher..We show for the first time an association between genetic constitution and migraine drug response. This is a first step toward future individualized medicine. ..
- Lei Q, Liu X, Fu H, Sun Y, Wang L, Xu G, et al. miR-101 reverses hypomethylation of the PRDM16 promoter to disrupt mitochondrial function in astrocytoma cells. Oncotarget. 2016;7:5007-22 pubmed publisherOur previous report identified PR domain containing 16 (PRDM16), a member of the PR-domain gene family, as a new methylation associated gene in astrocytoma cells...
- Shimada I, Acar M, Burgess R, Zhao Z, Morrison S. Prdm16 is required for the maintenance of neural stem cells in the postnatal forebrain and their differentiation into ependymal cells. Genes Dev. 2017;31:1134-1146 pubmed publisher..These studies show that Prdm16 is required for adult neural stem cell maintenance and neurogenesis as well as the formation of ependymal cells. ..
- Bastarrachea R, Chen J, Kent J, Nava González E, Rodriguez Ayala E, Daadi M, et al. Engineering brown fat into skeletal muscle using ultrasound-targeted microbubble destruction gene delivery in obese Zucker rats: Proof of concept design. IUBMB Life. 2017;69:745-755 pubmed publisher..2017 IUBMB Life, 69(9):745-755, 2017. ..
- Fukunaka A, Fukada T, Bhin J, Suzuki L, Tsuzuki T, Takamine Y, et al. Zinc transporter ZIP13 suppresses beige adipocyte biogenesis and energy expenditure by regulating C/EBP-Î² expression. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006950 pubmed publisher..binding protein-Î² (C/EBP-Î²) protein, which cooperates with dominant transcriptional co-regulator PR domain containing 16 (PRDM16) to determine brown/beige adipocyte lineage, is essential for the enhanced adipocyte browning ..
- Berdasco M, Gomez A, Rubio M, Catala Mora J, Zanon Moreno V, Lopez M, et al. DNA Methylomes Reveal Biological Networks Involved in Human Eye Development, Functions and Associated Disorders. Sci Rep. 2017;7:11762 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, unmethylation of the proto-oncogen RAB31 was a predictor of metastasis risk in uveal melanoma. Loss of methylation of the oncogenic mir-17-92 cluster was detected in primary tissues but also in blood from patients. ..
- Lahortiga I, Agirre X, Belloni E, Vázquez I, Larrayoz M, Gasparini P, et al. Molecular characterization of a t(1;3)(p36;q21) in a patient with MDS. MEL1 is widely expressed in normal tissues, including bone marrow, and it is not overexpressed in the t(1;3) cells. Oncogene. 2004;23:311-6 pubmed..Overexpression of MDS1/EVI1 (3q26) or MEL1/PRDM16 (1p36), both members of the PR-domain family, has been directly implicated in the malignant transformation ..
- Hong K, Lim J, Kim J, Tabara Y, Ueshima H, Miki T, et al. Identification of three novel genetic variations associated with electrocardiographic traits (QRS duration and PR interval) in East Asians. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:6659-67 pubmed publisher..In addition, C allele of rs17026156 increases PR interval (beta ± SE, 2.39 ± 0.40 ms) and exists far more frequently in East Asians (0.46) than in Europeans and Africans (0.05 and 0.08, respectively). ..
- Dempersmier J, Sambeat A, Gulyaeva O, Paul S, Hudak C, Raposo H, et al. Cold-inducible Zfp516 activates UCP1 transcription to promote browning of white fat and development of brown fat. Mol Cell. 2015;57:235-46 pubmed publisher..Zfp516 may represent a future target for obesity therapeutics. ..
- An X, Fang J, Yu Z, Lin Q, Lu C, Qu H, et al. Multilocus analysis reveals three candidate genes for Chinese migraine susceptibility. Clin Genet. 2017;92:143-149 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that the MEF2D, PRDM16 and ASTN2 genes from GWAS are associated with migraine susceptibility, especially MO, among Chinese patients. It appears that there is no association with serotonin receptor related genes. ..
- Frontini A, Vitali A, Perugini J, Murano I, Romiti C, Ricquier D, et al. White-to-brown transdifferentiation of omental adipocytes in patients affected by pheochromocytoma. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1831:950-9 pubmed publisher..Brown fat genes, such as UCP1, PR domain containing 16 (PRDM16) and ?3-adrenoreceptor, were highly expressed in the omentum of pheo-patients and in those cases ..
- Ran C, Graae L, Magnusson P, Pedersen N, Olson L, Belin A. A replication study of GWAS findings in migraine identifies association in a Swedish case-control sample. BMC Med Genet. 2014;15:38 pubmed publisher..We have thus replicated findings of susceptibility loci for migraine in an independent genetic material, thereby increasing knowledge about genetic risk factors for this common neurological disorder. ..
- Pasut A, Chang N, Gurriaran Rodriguez U, Faulkes S, Yin H, Lacaria M, et al. Notch Signaling Rescues Loss of Satellite Cells Lacking Pax7 and Promotes Brown Adipogenic Differentiation. Cell Rep. 2016;16:333-343 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results show that Notch1 activation compensates for the loss of Pax7 in the quiescent state and acts as a molecular switch toÂ promote brown adipogenesis in adult skeletal muscle. ..
- Yamato G, Yamaguchi H, Handa H, Shiba N, Kawamura M, Wakita S, et al. Clinical features and prognostic impact of PRDM16 expression in adult acute myeloid leukemia. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2017;56:800-809 pubmed publisherHigh PRDM16 (also known as MEL1) expression is a representative marker of acute myeloid leukemia (AML) with NUP98-NSD1 and is a significant predictive marker for poor prognosis in pediatric AML...
- Huang L, Pan D, Chen Q, Zhu L, Ou J, Wabitsch M, et al. Transcription factor Hlx controls a systematic switch from white to brown fat through Prdm16-mediated co-activation. Nat Commun. 2017;8:68 pubmed publisher..Here, the authors show that Prdm16 interacts with the transcription factor Hlx, which is stabilized in response to ?3-adrenergic signaling, to increase thermogenic gene expression and mitochondrial biogenesis in subcutaneous WAT. ..
- Arndt A, Macrae C. Genetic testing in cardiovascular diseases. Curr Opin Cardiol. 2014;29:235-40 pubmed publisher..New efforts in data and knowledge management will be central to the continued advancement of genetic testing. ..
- Jo A, Mitani S, Shiba N, Hayashi Y, Hara Y, Takahashi H, et al. High expression of EVI1 and MEL1 is a compelling poor prognostic marker of pediatric AML. Leukemia. 2015;29:1076-83 pubmed publisherEVI1 and MEL1 are homolog genes whose transcriptional activations by chromosomal translocations are known in small subsets of leukemia...
- Moreno Navarrete J, Ortega F, Moreno M, Xifra G, Ricart W, FernÃ¡ndez Real J. PRDM16 sustains white fat gene expression profile in human adipocytes in direct relation with insulin action. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2015;405:84-93 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, PRDM16 might contribute to maintain adipose tissue "white fat" gene expression profile and systemic metabolic homeostasis. ..
- PÃ©rez Belmonte L, Moreno Santos I, GÃ³mez Doblas J, GarcÃa Pinilla J, Morcillo Hidalgo L, Garrido SÃ¡nchez L, et al. Expression of epicardial adipose tissue thermogenic genes in patients with reduced and preserved ejection fraction heart failure. Int J Med Sci. 2017;14:891-895 pubmed publisher..Thermogenic genes could represent a future novel therapeutic target in heart failure. ..
- Jiang Y, Berry D, Graff J. Distinct cellular and molecular mechanisms for ?3 adrenergic receptor-induced beige adipocyte formation. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Collectively, we identify that cold temperatures and Adrb3 agonists activate distinct cellular populations that express different ?-adrenergic receptors to induce beige adipogenesis. ..