Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: maspin
Description: serpin peptidase inhibitor, clade B (ovalbumin), member 5
Alias: PI5, maspin, PI-5, peptidase inhibitor 5, protease inhibitor 5 (maspin), serine (or cysteine) proteinase inhibitor, clade B (ovalbumin), member 5, serpin B5
Publications165 found, 100 shown here
- Aberrant methylation of the maspin promoter is an early event in human breast cancerBernard W Futscher
Bone Marrow Transplant Program, Arizona Cancer Center, and Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Neoplasia 6:380-9. 2004The maspin gene functions as a tumor suppressor in human breasts, and its expression is frequently lost during breast cancer progression...
- Maspin: the new frontierZhila Khalkhali-Ellis
Children s Memorial Research Center, Robert H Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60614 3394, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:7279-83. 2006b>Maspin (mammary serine protease inhibitor) was identified in 1994 by subtractive hybridization analysis of normal mammary tissue and breast cancer cell lines...
- Expression of maspin is up-regulated during the progression of mammary ductal carcinomaY Umekita
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Kagoshima University, Kagoshima 890 8520, Japan
Histopathology 42:541-5. 2003The tumour suppressor gene maspin is reported to inhibit the motility, invasiveness and metastasis of breast cancer cells...
- Maspin overexpression correlates with increased expression of vascular endothelial growth factors A, C, and D in human ovarian carcinomaFiliz Bolat
Baskent University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pathology, Ankara, Turkey
Pathol Res Pract 204:379-87. 2008..b>Maspin belongs to the serpin superfamily and has been identified as a tumor suppressor because it inhibits motility, ..
- A serine proteinase inhibitor locus at 18q21.3 contains a tandem duplication of the human squamous cell carcinoma antigen geneS S Schneider
Department of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92:3147-51. 1995..arrayed and flanked by two other closely related serpins, plasminogen activator inhibitor type 2 (PAI2) and maspin at 18q21.3. The genomic structure of the two genes, SCCA1 and SCCA2, was highly conserved...
- Loss of maspin expression is associated with development and progression of gastric carcinoma with p53 abnormalityReiko Ito
Department of Molecular Pathology, Hiroshima University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University, 1 2 3 Kasumi, Minami Ku, Hiroshima 734 8551, Japan
Oncol Rep 12:985-90. 2004b>Maspin, a serine protease inhibitor related to the serpin family, was originally identified in normal mammary epithelium. Reduced expression of maspin is related with development, invasion and metastasis of certain human cancers...
- Maspin expression is directly associated with biological aggressiveness of thyroid carcinomaYasuhiro Ito
Kuma Hospital, Kobe, Japan
Thyroid 14:13-8. 2004b>Maspin belongs to the serpin superfamily and has been identified as a tumor suppressor because it inhibits cell motility, invasion, and angiogenesis...
- High tumoral maspin expression is associated with improved survival of patients with oral squamous cell carcinomaW Xia
Department of Molecular and Cellular Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, TX 77030, USA
Oncogene 19:2398-403. 2000b>Maspin, a member of the serpin family of protease inhibitors, is known to have tumor-suppressor functions. However, the association between its expression level and survival has not been demonstrated in human cancer...
- Ezrin, maspin, peroxiredoxin 2, and heat shock protein 27: potential targets of a streptococcal-induced autoimmune response in psoriasisPetra Besgen
Department of Dermatology, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Munich, Germany
J Immunol 184:5392-402. 2010..Common serologic reactivities of rabbits and patients included the proteins ezrin, maspin, peroxiredoxin 2 (PRDX2), heat shock protein (hsp)27, and keratin 6...
- Mutant p53 and aberrant cytosine methylation cooperate to silence gene expressionMarc M Oshiro
Bone Marrow Transplant Program, Arizona Cancer Center and Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Oncogene 22:3624-34. 2003..Gene-profiling experiments of breast cancer cells infected with wt p53 revealed both MASPIN and desmocollin 3 (DSC3) to be p53-target genes, even though both genes are silenced in association with aberrant ..
- Maspin, a serpin with tumor-suppressing activity in human mammary epithelial cellsZ Zou
Division of Cancer Genetics, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115
Science 263:526-9. 1994..The gene product, called maspin, is expressed in normal mammary epithelial cells but not in most mammary carcinoma cell lines...
- The paradoxical expression of maspin in ovarian carcinomaAnil K Sood
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Iowa, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa 52242 1109, USA
Clin Cancer Res 8:2924-32. 2002b>Maspin is a noninhibitory member of the serpin family that is down-regulated in breast carcinoma but overexpressed in pancreatic carcinoma...
- Maspin inhibits cell migration in the absence of protease inhibitory activityRosemary Bass
School of Biological Sciences, University of East Anglia, Norwich NR4 7TJ, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 277:46845-8. 2002b>Maspin is a member of the serpin family of protease inhibitors and is a tumor suppressor gene acting at the level of tumor invasion and metastasis...
- Maspin sensitizes breast carcinoma cells to induced apoptosisNing Jiang
Department of Pathology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 540 East Canfield Avenue, Detroit, Michigan, MI 48201, USA
Oncogene 21:4089-98. 2002b>Maspin, a novel serine protease inhibitor (serpin), suppresses the growth and metastasis of breast tumor in vivo. However, the underlying molecular mechanism is unclear...
- Proteomics demonstration that normal breast epithelial cells can induce apoptosis of breast cancer cells through insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3 and maspinRobert Alain Toillon
INSERM ERI 8 JE 2488 Signalisation des facteurs de croissance dans le cancer du sein Protéomique fonctionnelle, Universite des Sciences et Technologies de Lille, 59655 Villeneuve d Ascq, France
Mol Cell Proteomics 6:1239-47. 2007..nano-LC-nano-ESI-MS/MS allowed the identification of insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3) and maspin as the proapoptotic factors produced by normal breast epithelial cells...
- Maspin expression in CIN 3, microinvasive squamous cell carcinoma, and invasive squamous cell carcinoma of the uterine cervixChengen Xu
Department of Pathology, Women and Infants Hospital and Brown Medical School, Providence, RI 02905 2499, USA
Mod Pathol 18:1102-6. 2005b>Maspin is a serine protease inhibitor with tumor suppression activity. It is expressed in normal breast and prostate tissue but is downregulated or absent in breast and prostate tumors...
- Maspin mediates increased tumor cell apoptosis upon induction of the mitochondrial permeability transitionKhatri Latha
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Mol Cell Biol 25:1737-48. 2005b>Maspin is a unique serpin with the ability to suppress certain types of malignant tumors. It is one of the few p53-targeted genes involved in tumor invasion and metastasis...
- Maspin is an intracellular serpin that partitions into secretory vesicles and is present at the cell surfaceP A Pemberton
LXR Biotechnology, Inc, Richmond, California 94804, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 45:1697-706. 1997The tumor suppressor maspin (mammary serpin) was originally identified as a component of human mammary epithelial cells that is downregulated as mammary tumor cells progress from the benign to the invasive and metastatic states...
- The promise and challenge toward the clinical application of maspin in cancerShijie Sheng
Department of Pathology, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 540 East Canfield Avenue, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Front Biosci 9:2733-45. 2004Since the identification of the human maspin gene, a decade of extensive research revealed the promise of maspin both as a valuable molecular marker for the diagnosis and prognosis of many types of cancers, and as a tumor suppressor at ..
- Expression of the tumor suppressor gene maspin and its significance in intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms of the pancreasKyoko Kashima
First Department of Pathology, Showa University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 7:86-90. 2008b>Maspin is a member of the serpin family of protease inhibitors and is thought to inhibit carcinoma invasion, metastasis, and angiogenesis and induce apoptosis...
- Human pancreatic carcinoma cells activate maspin expression through loss of epigenetic controlMatthew Fitzgerald
Department of Radiation Oncology, Free Radical and Radiation Biology Program, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Neoplasia 5:427-36. 2003The maspin gene is not expressed in normal human pancreas, but its expression is acquired during human pancreatic carcinogenesis...
- The effect of aberrant maspin expression on the invasive ability of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma cellsSung Noh Hong
Konkuk University Hospital, Konkuk University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Oncol Rep 21:425-30. 2009b>Maspin is expressed aberrantly in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDAC), and its function is still unknown...
- Maspin reduces prostate cancer metastasis to boneDevon C Hall
Department of Cellular and Structural Biology, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Urol Oncol 26:652-8. 2008b>Maspin is a serine protease inhibitor with anti-tumor activity, including inhibition of tumor growth, angiogenesis, invasion, motility, and metastasis. Normal mammary and prostate cells express maspin at high levels...
- Clinicopathological significance and molecular regulation of maspin expression in ductal adenocarcinoma of the pancreasNobuyuki Ohike
Department of Pathology, University of Kiel, Kiel, Germany
Cancer Lett 199:193-200. 2003We evaluated the biological relevance of maspin expression in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma and studied regulatory mechanisms of maspin gene activation in pancreatic carcinoma cell lines...
- Identification of maspin and S100P as novel hypomethylation targets in pancreatic cancer using global gene expression profilingNorihiro Sato
1Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD, USA
Oncogene 23:1531-8. 2004..A subset of eight genes were selected for further methylation analysis, and two cancer-related genes, maspin and S100P, were found to be aberrantly hypomethylated in a large fraction of pancreatic cancer cell lines and ..
- Expression of maspin in colorectal cancerYoshihisa Umekita
Department of Tumor Pathology, Field of Oncology, Kagoshima University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Kagoshima, Japan
In Vivo 20:797-800. 2006b>Maspin, a member of the serpin family of protease inhibitors, is known to be a tumor suppressor...
- Sufficiency of the reactive site loop of maspin for induction of cell-matrix adhesion and inhibition of cell invasion. Conversion of ovalbumin to a maspin-like moleculeChatri Ngamkitidechakul
Department of Biochemistry, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
J Biol Chem 278:31796-806. 2003b>Maspin, an ov-serpin, inhibits tumor invasion and induces cell adhesion to extracellular matrix molecules...
- Maspin sensitizes prostate cancer cells to doxazosin-induced apoptosisAnastasios Tahmatzopoulos
Department of Surgery, Division of Urology, University of Kentucky Medical Center, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Oncogene 24:5375-83. 2005b>Maspin is a mammary serine protease inhibitor or serpin with tumor suppressive and antiangiogenic activity that inhibits tumor motility, invasion and metastasis, at least by its actions on cell membrane and extracellular matrix (ECM) ..
- Functional activity of eukaryotic signal sequences in Escherichia coli: the ovalbumin family of serine protease inhibitorsD Belin
Departement de Pathologie, Universite de Geneve, CH 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
J Mol Biol 335:437-53. 2004..the ovalbumin signal sequence is much more efficient, whereas the corresponding sequence elements from LEI, maspin and PI-10 are entirely devoid of signal sequence activity in E.coli...
- Gene structure, chromosomal localization, and expression of the murine homologue of human proteinase inhibitor 6 (PI-6) suggests divergence of PI-6 from the ovalbumin serpinsJ Sun
Department of Medicine, Monash Medical School, Clive Ward Centre, Box Hill Hospital, Australia
J Biol Chem 270:16089-96. 1995..activator inhibitor-2, the squamous cell carcinoma antigen, monocyte/neutrophil elastase inhibitor, and maspin. Although these proteins are associated with carcinomas and inflammation, they appear to have diverse functions ..
- Human ovalbumin serpin evolution: phylogenic analysis, gene organization, and identification of new PI8-related genes suggest that two interchromosomal and several intrachromosomal duplications generated the gene clusters at 18q21-q23 and 6p25F L Scott
Department of Medicine, Monash University Medical School, Box Hill, 3128, Australia
Genomics 62:490-9. 1999..PCR analysis demonstrated that PI5 at 18q21 also lacks this exon, indicating that it is organized identically to the 6p25 genes...
- The ovalbumin serpins revisited: perspective from the chicken genome of clade B serpin evolution in vertebratesCharaf Benarafa
CBR Institute for Biomedical Research and Department of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:11367-72. 2005..Orthologues of PAI-2 (SERPINB2), MNEI (SERPINB1), PI-6 (SERPINB6), and maspin (SERPINB5) are highly conserved...
- Cytoplasmic antiproteinase 2 (PI8) and bomapin (PI10) map to the serpin cluster at 18q21.3A J Bartuski
Joint Program in Neonatology, Children s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Genomics 43:321-8. 1997..Recently, we mapped four members of the family [SCCA1, SCCA2, PAI2, and PI5 (maspin)] to a 300-kb region within 18q21.3. Using a panel of 18q21...
- Inhibition of angiogenesis: a new function for angiotensinogen and des(angiotensin I)angiotensinogenPierre Corvol
INSERM U36, College de France, 11, place Marcelin Berthelot, 75231 Paris Cedex 05, France
Curr Hypertens Rep 5:149-54. 2003..Several serpins (antithrombin, maspin, pigment epithelial-derived factor, and kallistatin) have been recently shown to exert an antiangiogenic activity, ..
- A role of novel serpin maspin in tumor progression: the divergence revealed through efforts to convergeShijie Sheng
Department of Pathology, The Proteases and Cancer Program of the Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 540 East Canfield Avenue, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
J Cell Physiol 209:631-5. 2006b>Maspin, a 42 kDa protein, belongs to the serine protease inhibitor (serpin) superfamily and is more closely related to the ovalbumin-like serpin subfamily (ov-serpins)...
- Maspin (SERPINB5) is an obligate intracellular serpinSonia S Y Teoh
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Biomedical Sciences, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
J Biol Chem 285:10862-9. 2010b>Maspin (SERPINB5) is a tumor suppressor lost in breast and prostate cancer whose molecular function is unknown...
- Tissue-type plasminogen activator is a target of the tumor suppressor gene maspinS Sheng
Division of Cancer Genetics, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:499-504. 1998The maspin protein has tumor suppressor activity in breast and prostate cancers. It inhibits cell motility and invasion in vitro and tumor growth and metastasis in nude mice...
- Role of squamous cell carcinoma antigen 1 expression in the invasive potential of head and neck squamous cell carcinomaTorahiko Nakashima
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Head Neck 28:24-30. 2006..On chromosome 18q21, there is a cluster of serpins: maspin, headpin, and squamous cell carcinoma antigen 1 (SCCA1)/SCCA2...
- SERPINB12 is a novel member of the human ov-serpin family that is widely expressed and inhibits trypsin-like serine proteinasesY S Askew
Department of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School, Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Biol Chem 276:49320-30. 2001..The gene mapped to the ov-serpin cluster at 18q21 and resided between SERPINB5 (maspin) and SERPINB13 (headpin). The presence of SERPINB12 in silico was confirmed by cDNA cloning...
- 5-Aza-2'-deoxycytidine-mediated reductions in G9A histone methyltransferase and histone H3 K9 di-methylation levels are linked to tumor suppressor gene reactivationR J Wozniak
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Arizona Cancer Center, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724 5024, USA
Oncogene 26:77-90. 2007..Two examples include the antimetastatic, tumor suppressor genes, desmocollin 3 (DSC3) and MASPIN, which are frequently silenced in this manner in human breast cancer...
- Hierarchical cluster analysis of myoepithelial/basal cell markers in adenoid cystic carcinoma and polymorphous low-grade adenocarcinomaManju L Prasad
Department of Pathology, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
Mod Pathol 21:105-14. 2008..and basal/stem cell markers (smooth muscle actin, calponin, smooth muscle myosin heavy chain, metallothionein, maspin, and p63) by immunohistochemistry in 23 adenoid cystic carcinoma and 24 polymorphous low-grade adenocarcinoma, to ..
- [Expression of maspin protein and correlation between maspin and P53 proteins in gastric carcinoma]Yan He
Department of Pathology, Harbin Medical University, Harbin 150081, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 87:909-12. 2007To study the expression of maspin protein and the correlation between maspin and P53 proteins in gastric carcinoma, so as to provide a new valid index for diagnosis of gastric carcinoma.
- Epigenetic silencing of maspin expression occurs early in the conversion of keratocytes to fibroblastsMark A Horswill
Department of Biochemistry, Medical College of Wisconsin, 8701 Watertown Plank Road, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Exp Eye Res 86:586-600. 2008b>Maspin, a 42 kDa non-classical serpin (serine protease inhibitor) that controls cell migration and invasion, is mainly expressed by epithelial-derived cells but is also expressed in corneal stromal keratocytes...
- Possible involvement of maspin in tooth developmentPurevsuren Davaadorj
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Institute of Health Biosciences, The University of Tokushima Graduate School, Tokushima, Japan
Histochem Cell Biol 134:603-14. 2010b>Maspin is a 42 kDa serine protease inhibitor that possesses tumor suppressive and anti-angiogenic activities...
- Is maspin immunolocalization a tool to differentiate central low-grade mucoepidermoid carcinoma from glandular odontogenic cyst?Marilena Vered
Department of Oral Pathology and Oral Medicine, School of Dental Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Acta Histochem 112:161-8. 2010..LGMEC shares a number of histopathological similarities with glandular odontogenic cysts (GOC) of the jawbones. Maspin has been identified in several benign and malignant salivary gland neoplasms...
- Modulation of tumorigenesis and oestrogen receptor-alpha expression by cell culture conditions in a stem cell-derived breast epithelial cell lineKai Hung Wang
Graduate Institute of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Biol Cell 102:159-72. 2010..In the present study, we tested the hypothesis that deprivation of growth factors and hormones may change the tumorigenicity and oestrogen response of this cell line...
- Advances in salivary gland pathologyW Cheuk
Department of Pathology, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Histopathology 51:1-20. 2007..CD117 can aid in highlighting the luminal cell component of various salivary gland tumours, whereas p63 or maspin can aid in highlighting the abluminal cell component...
- Hyaline cell-rich chondroid syringoma: case report and review of the literatureJorge S Reis-Filho
Institute of Molecular Pathology and Immunology, University of Porto IPATIMUP, Porto, Portugal
Pathol Res Pract 198:755-64. 2002..2) and high molecular weight (34betaE12) cytokeratins; these cells were focally positive for GFAP, maspin, neuron-specific enolase, and cytokeratin 14...
- Detection of minimal gastric cancer cells in peritoneal washings by focused microarray analysis with multiple markers: clinical implicationsKazuhiko Mori
Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, University of Tokyo Graduate School of Medicine, Hongo 7 3 1, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, 113 8655, Japan
Ann Surg Oncol 14:1694-702. 2007..A reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction-based assay with multiple marker genes or immunocytochemistry was assessed as an alternative method of gathering the same kind of data as cytology...
- [The changes in chloroplast proteome caused by different nuclear background in cytoplasmic male-sterile (CMS) of wheat]Wei jia Zhang
Department of Biology, Tianjin Normal University, Tianjin 300074
Fen Zi Xi Bao Sheng Wu Xue Bao 40:84-90. 2007..4/34kDa, pl5.4/32kDa) at seedling stage,6 protein spots (pl5.4/80kDa, pl5.4/65kDa, pl5.4/60kDa, pl5.4/48kDa, pI5.4/40kDa, pI5.4/35kDa) at booting stage were present in Xiaoyan No.6A and absent in Nongda 3237A. pl6...
- Mammary NOS-type sarcoma with CD10 expression: a rare entity with features of myoepithelial differentiationSebastian Leibl
Institute of Pathology, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Am J Surg Pathol 30:450-6. 2006..type CKs (34betaE12, CK5/6, CK14, CK17) and vimentin antibodies, antibodies to established (SMA, CD10, p63, S-100, maspin, calponin, GFAP, SM-myosin), and novel (CD29, 14-3-3sigma) myoepithelial markers, as well as antibodies to CD34, ..
- PKA and PKC partially rescue long QT type 1 phenotype by restoring channel-PIP2 interactionsAlessandra Matavel
Cardiovascular Research Institute, Department of Medicine, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, USA
Channels (Austin) 4:3-11. 2010..more sensitive to stimulation of PIP(2) production, by overexpression of phosphatidylinositol-4-phosphate-5-kinase (PI5-kinase). In addition, c-terminus mutants showed a potentiated regulation by PKA...
- Establishment of a human T-cell line constitutively producing several eosinophil chemotactic lymphokines and their functional heterogeneity on eosinophilsM Hirashima
Department of Pathology, Kumamoto University Medical School, Japan
Lymphokine Cytokine Res 11:331-8. 1992..eosinophil chemotactic factors (ECF) for eosinophils from healthy individuals with different isoelectric point of PI5, PI6, PI7, PI8, and PI9. Molecular weight of all the ECF was about 30,000 to 45,000...
- Loss of Maspin expression is a negative prognostic factor in common salivary gland tumorsStephan Schwarz
Department of Pathology, University of Regensburg, Germany
Oral Oncol 44:563-70. 2008b>Maspin, a 42kDa protein, belongs to the serine protease inhibitor (serpin) family and is suggested to have inhibitory effects on tumor-induced angiogenesis, tumor cell motility, invasion and metastasis and influences prognosis of tumor ..
- Mammaglobin expression in leukapheresis products is a predictive marker of poor prognosis in women with high-risk breast cancerPier Francesco Ferrucci
Divisions of Hemato oncology and Biostatistics and Epidemiology, European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy
Clin Cancer Res 10:6039-46. 2004..colony-stimulating factor-mobilized peripheral blood progenitor cell collections (PBPCCs) using cytokeratin (CK), maspin (MAS), and mammaglobin (MAM) genes as epithelial cell markers...
- NSAIDs and breast cancer: a possible prevention and treatment strategyA Agrawal
Hedley Atkins Breast Unit, Guy s Hospital, London, UK
Int J Clin Pract 62:444-9. 2008..Abnormally upregulated COX and prostaglandins are features of breast cancer so NSAIDs might have a role in treatment and prevention of the disease...
- The myoepithelial cell: its role in normal mammary glands and breast cancerM Sopel
Department of Histology and Embryology, Wroclaw Medical University, Wroclaw, Poland
Folia Morphol (Warsz) 69:1-14. 2010..g. maspin) limiting cancer growth, invasiveness, and neoangiogenesis...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma upregulates caveolin-1 and caveolin-2 expression in human carcinoma cellsElke Burgermeister
Department of Biological Regulation, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Oncogene 22:3888-900. 2003..a differentiated phenotype, as evinced by analysis of cell-specific differentiation markers: protein levels of maspin were elevated and perinuclear lipid droplets accumulated...
- Comprehensive identification and modified-site mapping of S-nitrosylated targets in prostate epithelial cellsYing Wai Lam
Department of Environmental Health, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e9075. 2010..Thus, our primary objective was to identify S-nitrosylated targets in an immortalized normal prostate epithelial cell line, NPrEC...
- [Correlation of hTERT expression to maspin and bFGF expression and their significance in glioma]Dong lin Wang
Department of Pathology, Medical College, Nantong University, Nantong, Jiangsu, 226001, P R China
Ai Zheng 26:601-6. 2007..Its expression is regulated by many factors. This study was to detect the expression of hTERT, maspin, and basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) in glioma, and analyze their correlations and their significance in ..
- Maspin expression in early oral tongue cancer and its relation to expression of mutant-type p53 and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)Jae Hoon Cho
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, College of Medicine, Kon Kuk University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Oral Oncol 43:272-7. 2007..Mutant-type p53 and VEGF are known to be related to angiogenesis, and maspin is a potent angiogenic inhibitor but its role in tongue cancer has scarcely been examined...
- [Transcription regulation of 5-Aza-2'-deoxycytidine on maspin gene demethylation in RKO human colorectal cell line]Bo Tang
Department of General Surgery, Southwest Hospital, The Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China
Zhonghua Wei Chang Wai Ke Za Zhi 9:260-3. 2006To detect the methylation status of 5'CpG island in the core promotor of maspin gene in RKO human colorectal cell line,and to explore the transcription regulation of DNA 5'CpG island demethylation on maspin tumor suppressor gene and its ..
- Rice Pi5-mediated resistance to Magnaporthe oryzae requires the presence of two coiled-coil-nucleotide-binding-leucine-rich repeat genesSang Kyu Lee
Plant Metabolism Research Center and Graduate School of Biotechnology, Kyung Hee University, Yongin, Korea
Genetics 181:1627-38. 2009..To understand the molecular basis of Pi5-mediated resistance to M...
- Gamma linolenic acid regulates expression of maspin and the motility of cancer cellsW G Jiang
University Department of Surgery, University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 237:639-44. 1997b>Maspin, mammary serine protease inhibitor, is a recently identified tumour suppressor and has a profound effect on cell motility...
- Elucidating the function of secreted maspin: inhibiting cathepsin D-mediated matrix degradationZhila Khalkhali-Ellis
Children s Memorial Research Center and Robert H Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, 2300 Children s Plaza, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Cancer Res 67:3535-9. 2007..b>Maspin, a non-inhibitory serpin, plays an important role in mammary gland development and remodeling...
- Maspin plays an essential role in early embryonic developmentFei Gao
Baylor College of Medicine, Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Development 131:1479-89. 2004b>Maspin (Mp) is a member of the serpin family with inhibitory functions against cell migration, metastasis and angiogenesis. To identify its role in embryonic development in vivo, we generated maspin knockout mice by gene targeting...
- High expression of maspin is associated with early tumor relapse in breast cancerKristiina M Joensuu
Department of Pathology and HUSLAB, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Hum Pathol 40:1143-51. 2009b>Maspin is a serine protease inhibitor with tumor suppressor activity. Maspin can suppress tumor growth and metastasis in vivo and tumor cell motility and invasion in vitro...
- Expression of maspin and kai1 and their clinicopathological significance in carcinogenesis and progression of gastric cancerHua Chuan Zheng
The Fourth Laboratory, Cancer Institute, The First Affiliated Hospital of China Medical University, Shenyang 110001
Chin Med Sci J 19:193-8. 2004To investigate the roles of maspin and kai1 expression in tumorigenesis and progression of gastric cancer.
- Effects of 5-Aza-CdR on cell proliferation of breast cancer cell line MDA-MB-435S and expression of maspin geneBo Zhang
Department of General Surgery, Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci 27:543-6. 2007..5-Aza-CdR) on the proliferation of MDA-MB-435S cells and the expression of tumor suppressor gene maspin were investigated...
- Maspin is involved in bone matrix maturation by enhancing the accumulation of latent TGF-betaReiko Tokuyama
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Institute of Health Biosciences, The University of Tokushima Graduate School, Tokushima, Japan
J Bone Miner Res 22:1581-91. 2007b>Maspin, a serine protease inhibitor, is expressed by formative osteoblasts...
- Expression of maspin in mammary gland tumors of the dogA Espinosa de los Monteros
Departamento de Morfologia, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Trasmontana s n, Arucas, Las Palmas 35416, Spain
Vet Pathol 42:250-7. 2005b>Maspin is a serine protease inhibitor that inhibits tumor invasion and metastasis in human breast cancer and is consistently expressed by mammary myoepithelial cells (MECs)...
- Maspin expression in carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenomaM T Martins
Department of Oral Pathology, School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, 05508 900 Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
J Clin Pathol 58:1311-4. 2005To investigate the presence and distribution of the protein maspin in carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma (CXPA).
- [Influence of microencapsulated ovary cells modified with maspin gene on the microvessel density and lung metastasis of breast carcinoma]Yue Long Pan
Department of Tumor, Hangzhou First People s Hospital, Hangzhou 310006, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 88:92-5. 2008To observe the inhibition of maspin on the angiogenesis in tumor and lung metastasis of breast carcinoma and the feasibility of treatment of tumor by microencapsulated transgene cells in vivo.
- Expression of maspin in papillary Ta/T1 bladder neoplasmsStella Blandamura
Section of Pathological Anatomy, Department of Medico Diagnostic Sciences and Special Therapies, University of Padova, Italy
Anticancer Res 28:471-8. 2008The aim of the present study was to evaluate maspin expression in bladder urothelial papillary neoplasms and test the results for correlation with clinicopathological parameters.
- Regulating the tumor suppressor gene maspin in breast cancer cells: a potential mechanism for the anticancer properties of tamoxifenZhila Khalkhali-Ellis
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology and the Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center at The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242 1109, USA
Clin Cancer Res 10:449-54. 2004..In this study, we examined the ability of hormones to regulate the expression of a tumor suppressor gene, maspin, which is a serine protease inhibitor (serpin) that plays an important role in mammary gland development and is ..
- Aberrant maspin expression in gallbladder epithelium is associated with intestinal metaplasia in patients with cholelithiasisC Maesawa
Department of Pathology, Iwate Medical University School of Medicine, Uchimaru 19 1, 020 8505 Morioka, Japan
J Clin Pathol 59:328-30. 2006Aberrant expression of maspin protein related to DNA hypomethylation in the promoter region is frequently observed in gallbladder carcinomas, whereas the non-tumorous gallbladder epithelium is maspin negative...
- Role for DNA methylation in the control of cell type specific maspin expressionBernard W Futscher
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Bone Marrow Transplant Program, Arizona Cancer Center, The University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
Nat Genet 31:175-9. 2002..Here we provide evidence that cytosine methylation of the maspin gene (SERPINB5) promoter controls, in part, normal cell type specific SERPINB5 expression...
- Detection of restriction enzyme-digested target DNA by PCR amplification using a stem-loop primer: application to the detection of hypomethylated fetal DNA in maternal plasmaYu K Tong
Li Ka Shing Institute of Health Sciences, Department of Chemical Pathology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong SAR
Clin Chem 53:1906-14. 2007..The positive detection of the cleaved hypomethylated molecules would be useful for certain targets but has not been reported...
- [Regulatory mechanism of malignant behavior of endometriosis mediated by puerarin]Chao Qin Yu
Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai 200433, China
Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao 7:41-7. 2009..To observe the inhibitory effects of puerarin on angiopoiesis of endometriotic tissue, and to explore the regulatory effects of puerarin on tumor-related gene expression of endometriosis...
- Immunohistochemical detection of uPA, uPAR, PAI-1, and maspin in ameloblastic tumorsH Kumamoto
Division of Oral Pathology, Department of Oral Medicine and Surgery, Tohoku University Graduate School of Dentistry, Sendai, Japan
J Oral Pathol Med 36:488-94. 2007..in progression of odontogenic tumors, expression of urokinase-type plasminogen activator (uPA), uPA receptor (uPAR), plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 (PAI-1), and maspin was analyzed in ameloblastic tumors as well as in tooth germs.
- Regulatory processes affecting androgen receptor expression, stability, and function: potential targets to treat hormone-refractory prostate cancerG Prem Veer Reddy
Vattikuti Urology Institute, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
J Cell Biochem 98:1408-23. 2006..b>Maspin, a serine protease inhibitor that is known mostly for its role as a tumor suppressor can also regulate AR ..
- Gene expression profiles in gallbladder cancer: the close genetic similarity seen for early and advanced gallbladder cancers may explain the poor prognosisJi Hyang Kim
Department of Medicine, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Tumour Biol 29:41-9. 2008..We have identified several genes that may be tumor markers for gallbladder cancer. The close genetic similarity found between the early and advanced gallbladder cancers may help explain the poor prognosis of this disease...
- Maspin expression in adenocarcinoma of the ampulla of Vater: relation with clinicopathological parameters and apoptosisStella Blandamura
Section of Pathological Anatomy, Department of Medico Diagnostic Sciences and Special Therapies, University of Padova, Via Gabelli 61, 35121 Padova, Italy
Anticancer Res 27:1059-65. 2007b>Maspin is a unique serine proteinase inhibitor which has tumor suppressor activity...
- Maspin expression inhibits osteolysis, tumor growth, and angiogenesis in a model of prostate cancer bone metastasisMichael L Cher
Department of Urology, Protease Program, and Integrated Biostatistics Unit, The Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 540 East Canfield Avenue, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:7847-52. 2003..Previously, we showed that maspin, a serine protease inhibitor, specifically inhibits PC-associated uPA and PC cell invasion and motility in vitro...
- Elevated nuclear maspin expression is associated with microsatellite instability and high tumour grade in colorectal cancerMarcus Bettstetter
Department of Pathology, University of Regensburg, D 93053 Regensburg, Germany
J Pathol 205:606-14. 2005b>Maspin, a member of the serpin family, has been reported to suppress metastasis and angiogenesis in breast and prostate cancers. Overexpression of maspin was associated with adverse prognostic features in several other tumours...
- Modeling human breast cancer metastasis in mice: maspin as a paradigmH Y Shi
Baylor College of Medicine, Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Histol Histopathol 18:201-6. 2003..Our group has also established several animal models to address the function of a novel tumor suppressor gene maspin in breast tumor progression. Maspin was initially isolated from normal mammary epithelial cells...
- Use of Pi5(t) markers in marker-assisted selection to screen for cultivars with resistance to Magnaporthe griseaG Yi
National Yeongnam Agricultural Experiment Station, Rural Development Administration, 1085, Neidong, Milyang, 627 803, Korea
Theor Appl Genet 109:978-85. 2004..The rice Pi5(t) locus confers broad-spectrum resistance to Magnaporthe grisea, the causal agent of rice blast disease...
- Maspin overexpression modulates tumor cell apoptosis through the regulation of Bcl-2 family proteinsWeiguo Zhang
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
BMC Cancer 5:50. 2005b>Maspin is a member of serpin family with tumor suppressing activity. Recent studies of maspin in animal models strongly support maspin's role as an inhibitor against the growth of primary tumor sand the process of metastasis...
- MnSOD up-regulates maspin tumor suppressor gene expression in human breast and prostate cancer cellsHong Duan
Free Radical and Radiation Biology Program, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Antioxid Redox Signal 5:677-88. 2003..To determine whether maspin, a tumor suppressor gene that inhibits breast cancer cell invasion and metastasis, might be a target of MnSOD, we ..
- [NF-κB subunits regulate maspin expression in prostate cancer cells in vitro]Liang Ma
Central Laboratory, The First Affiliated Hospital of Soochow University, Suzhou 215006, China
Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi 34:165-8. 2012To explore how NF-κB family members regulate maspin expression in prostate cancer cells.
- Functional inactivation of CYLD promotes the metastatic potential of tumor epidermal cellsJosefa P Alameda
Department of Molecular Oncology, CIEMAT, Madrid, Spain
J Invest Dermatol 133:1870-8. 2013..expression of tumor malignancy markers of SCCs, and a decrease in the expression of the suppressor of metastasis Maspin. Restoration of Maspin expression in the epidermal SCC cells defective in CYLD deubiquitination function ..
- Maspin reprograms the gene expression profile of prostate carcinoma cells for differentiationM Margarida Bernardo
Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI, USA
Genes Cancer 2:1009-22. 2011b>Maspin is an epithelial-specific tumor suppressor gene. Previous data suggest that maspin expression may redirect poorly differentiated tumor cells to better differentiated phenotypes...
- Expression of maspin in the early pregnant mouse endometrium and its role during embryonic implantationYan Huang
Laboratory of Reproductive Biology, College of Public Health, Chongqing Medical University, Chongqing, China
Comp Med 62:179-84. 2012Maspin (serpin B5), a tumor-suppressing member of the serine protease inhibitor family, participates in cell migration, adhesion, invasion, and apoptosis...
- An emerging role for the nuclear localization of maspin in the suppression of tumor progression and metastasisBrigitte Goulet
London Regional Cancer Program, Translational Prostate Cancer Research Group, London, ON N6A 4L6, Canada
Biochem Cell Biol 90:22-38. 2012b>Maspin, a member of the serpin family of serine protease inhibitors, was originally identified as a tumor suppressor that is expressed in normal mammary epithelial cells but is reduced or absent in breast carcinomas...
- Suppression of breast tumor growth and metastasis by an engineered transcription factorAdriana S Beltran
Department of Pharmacology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e24595. 2011b>Maspin is a tumor and metastasis suppressor playing an essential role as gatekeeper of tumor progression. It is highly expressed in epithelial cells but is silenced in the onset of metastatic disease by epigenetic mechanisms...
- MicroRNA-21 targets tumor suppressor genes in invasion and metastasisShuomin Zhu
Department of Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Cell Biology, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, 825 N Rutledge, PO Box 19626, Springfield, IL 62794, USA
Cell Res 18:350-9. 2008..Furthermore, we identified two additional direct mir-21 targets, programmed cell death 4 (PDCD4) and maspin, both of which have been implicated in invasion and metastasis...
- Tumor-associated neoexpression of the pS2 peptide and MUC5AC mucin in primary adenocarcinomas and signet ring cell carcinomas of the urinary bladderE Kunze
Department of Osteopathology and Hematopathology, Center of Pathology, University of Gottingen, Germany
Histol Histopathol 23:539-48. 2008..and -2, caveolin-1), and of various novel known or candidate tumor suppressors (14-3-3 sigma, SYK, PTEN, maspin)...
- Maspin is a deoxycholate-inducible, anti-apoptotic stress-response protein differentially expressed during colon carcinogenesisClaire M Payne
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Arizona
Clin Exp Gastroenterol 4:239-53. 2011Increased maspin expression in the colon is related to colon cancer risk and patient survival...
- HDAC1 inhibition by maspin abrogates epigenetic silencing of glutathione S-transferase pi in prostate carcinoma cellsXiaohua Li
Wayne State University School of Medicine, 540 East Canfield Avenue, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Mol Cancer Res 9:733-45. 2011Both maspin and glutathione S-transferase pi (GSTp) are implicated as tumor suppressors and downregulated in human prostate cancer. It is well established that GSTp downregulation is through DNA methylation-based silencing...
- IFN-gamma regulation of vacuolar pH, cathepsin D processing and autophagy in mammary epithelial cellsZhila Khalkhali-Ellis
Children s Memorial Research Center, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60614 3394, USA
J Cell Biochem 105:208-18. 2008..IFN-gamma) to regulate mammary epithelial cell growth and gene expression, with particular emphasis on two genes: Maspin (a member of serine protease inhibitor superfamily), and the lysosomal aspartyl endopeptidase cathepsin D (CatD)...
- Expression of urokinase-type plasminogen activator/urokinase-type plasminogen activator receptor and maspin in oral squamous cell carcinoma: Association with mode of invasion and clinicopathological factorsKunio Yoshizawa
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, 13 1 Takaramachi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa 920 8641, Japan
Oncol Rep 26:1555-60. 2011..has been implicated in cancer invasion and metastasis, is regulated by several inhibitors such as maspin. In this study, we investigated the interrelationship between clinicopathologic findings and ..
- DIFFERENTIALLY EXPRESSED GENES IN PRIMARY BREAST CANCERARTHUR PARDEE; Fiscal Year: 1999..In addition we have investigated several candidate tumor suppressor genes of which maspin, which is a protease inhibitior, shows promise in both diagnostic and therapeutic applications...
- MACROPHAGE/NEUTROPHIL ELASTASE INHIBITOREILEEN REMOLD O DONNELL; Fiscal Year: 1999..Substantial evidence places HEI as a member, with PAI-2, SCCA, maspin and ovalbumin, of the Ov- serpin family of proteins, characterized by internal noncleavable secretion signals and ..
- Maspin in the CorneaSALLY TWINING; Fiscal Year: 2005..Like many epithelial cells, normal corneal epithelial and endothelial cells synthesize maspin. Surprisingly, normal human corneal stromal cells also synthesize maspin, the only non-epithelial cell type known ..
- High-Throughput HomeLab System - R-AXIS++ OptionJung Ja Kim; Fiscal Year: 2003..13) Unique amino domains and AMP deaminase isoform diversity, (14) Proteases and Corneal Ulceration, (15) Maspin in the Cornea, (16) Structure and Function of Methylglyoxal Synthase, (17) Specific inhibitors for a non-specific ..
- LARGE SCALE DIGITAL CELL ANALYSIS SYSTEMMichael Mackey; Fiscal Year: 2004..which will analyze changes in cell motility that are known to occur when a particular tumor suppressor gene, maspin, is silenced in metastatic human cancer cells...
- HIRH IN GASTROINTESTINAL MALIGNANCIESGRAHAM BARNARD; Fiscal Year: 2001..g. maspin and integrins in breast cancer, PTI-1 in prostate cancer...
- Role of Maspin in Breast Cancer ProgressionMing Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Maspin is a unique member of the serpin family with diverse functions...
- Biological Function(s) of MaspinMary Hendrix; Fiscal Year: 2009..This competitive renewal application advances our knowledge of the biological function(s) of maspin (mammary serpin) and its interactions with a newly identified binding partner IRF6 (Interferon Regulatory Factor 6)..
- Maspin as a Regulator of Protease ExpressionJaron Lockett; Fiscal Year: 2006b>Maspin functions to inhibit the urokinase plasminogen activator bound to its receptor, which decreases plasminogen activation, mediates internalization, and sensitizes cells to apoptosis...
- Role of an Epithelial Ets Factor in Breast CancerDENNIS WATSON; Fiscal Year: 2004..Mouse Pdef is down-regulated in tumors in Neu transgenic mice. Pdef activates the tumor metastasis suppressor maspin while downregulating the metastasis promoter uPA...