Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: MAP1LC3C
Description: microtubule associated protein 1 light chain 3 gamma
Alias: ATG8J, LC3C, microtubule-associated proteins 1A/1B light chain 3C, LC3-like protein 2, MAP1 light chain 3-like protein 2, MAP1 light chain 3-like protein 3, MAP1A/MAP1B LC3 C, MAP1A/MAP1B light chain 3 C, autophagy-related protein LC3 C, autophagy-related ubiquitin-like modifier LC3 C
- Alemu E, Lamark T, Torgersen K, Birgisdottir A, Larsen K, Jain A, et al. ATG8 family proteins act as scaffolds for assembly of the ULK complex: sequence requirements for LC3-interacting region (LIR) motifs. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:39275-90 pubmed publisher..Importantly, the LIR motif is required for starvation-induced association of ULK1 with autophagosomes. Our data suggest that ATG8 proteins act as scaffolds for assembly of the ULK complex at the phagophore. ..
- Lee D, Arnott D, Brown E. Ubiquilin4 is an adaptor protein that recruits Ubiquilin1 to the autophagy machinery. EMBO Rep. 2013;14:373-81 pubmed publisher..This targeting of Ubqln1 to autophagosomes requires the Ubqln4 UBL domain and the Ubqln1 UBA domain. This study identifies a new role for Ubqln4, expanding the role for Ubqlns in protein degradation. ..
- Le Guerroué F, Eck F, Jung J, Starzetz T, Mittelbronn M, Kaulich M, et al. Autophagosomal Content Profiling Reveals an LC3C-Dependent Piecemeal Mitophagy Pathway. Mol Cell. 2017;68:786-796.e6 pubmed publisher..a basal, housekeeping mitophagy pathway that involves piecemeal degradation of mitochondrial proteins in a LC3C- and p62-dependent manner and contributes to mitochondrial homeostasis maintenance when cells rely on oxidative ..
- Mandell M, Jain A, Arko Mensah J, Chauhan S, Kimura T, Dinkins C, et al. TRIM proteins regulate autophagy and can target autophagic substrates by direct recognition. Dev Cell. 2014;30:394-409 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study establishes that TRIMs can function both as regulators of autophagy and as autophagic cargo receptors, and reveals a basis for selective autophagy in mammalian cells. ..
- Wallin M, Deinum J, Goobar L, Danielson U. Proteolytic cleavage of microtubule-associated proteins by retroviral proteinases. J Gen Virol. 1990;71 ( Pt 9):1985-91 pubmed..It is suggested that proteolysis of microtubular proteins by viral proteinases is an important step in viral pathogenicity and that it may be part of a mechanism causing degenerative effects in infected cells. ..
- Schaaf M, Keulers T, Vooijs M, Rouschop K. LC3/GABARAP family proteins: autophagy-(un)related functions. FASEB J. 2016;30:3961-3978 pubmed..has evolved into the LC3/GABARAP protein family, consisting of 7 family proteins [LC3A (2 splice variants), LC3B, LC3C, GABARAP, GABARAPL1, and GABARAPL2]...
- von Muhlinen N, Akutsu M, Ravenhill B, Foeglein A, Bloor S, Rutherford T, et al. LC3C, bound selectively by a noncanonical LIR motif in NDP52, is required for antibacterial autophagy. Mol Cell. 2012;48:329-42 pubmed publisher..Here we show that the selectivity of the autophagy receptor NDP52 for LC3C is crucial for innate immunity since cells lacking either protein cannot protect their cytoplasm against Salmonella...
- Sancho A, Duran J, Garcia Espana A, Mauvezin C, Alemu E, Lamark T, et al. DOR/Tp53inp2 and Tp53inp1 constitute a metazoan gene family encoding dual regulators of autophagy and transcription. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e34034 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data reveal DOR and TP53INP1 as dual regulators of transcription and autophagy, and identify two conserved regions in the DOR family that concentrate multiple functions crucial for autophagy and transcription. ..
- Tanida I, Sou Y, Ezaki J, Minematsu Ikeguchi N, Ueno T, Kominami E. HsAtg4B/HsApg4B/autophagin-1 cleaves the carboxyl termini of three human Atg8 homologues and delipidates microtubule-associated protein light chain 3- and GABAA receptor-associated protein-phospholipid conjugates. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:36268-76 pubmed..RNA interference of HsAtg4B increased the amount of LC3-PL in HEK293 cells. Taken together, these results suggest that HsAtg4B negatively regulates the localization of LC3 to a membrane compartment by delipidation. ..
- Tumbarello D, Manna P, Allen M, Bycroft M, Arden S, Kendrick Jones J, et al. The Autophagy Receptor TAX1BP1 and the Molecular Motor Myosin VI Are Required for Clearance of Salmonella Typhimurium by Autophagy. PLoS Pathog. 2015;11:e1005174 pubmed publisher..Our study identifies essential new machinery for the autophagy-dependent clearance of Salmonella typhimurium and suggests modulation of myosin VI motor activity as a potential therapeutic target in cellular immunity. ..
- Snasel J, Pichova I. The cleavage of host cell proteins by HIV-1 protease. Folia Biol (Praha). 1996;42:227-30 pubmed
- He H, Dang Y, Dai F, Guo Z, Wu J, She X, et al. Post-translational modifications of three members of the human MAP1LC3 family and detection of a novel type of modification for MAP1LC3B. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:29278-87 pubmed..identification and characterization of three human orthologs of the rat Map1LC3, named MAP1LC3A, MAP1LC3B, and MAP1LC3C. We show that the three isoforms of human MAP1LC3 exhibit distinct expression patterns in different human tissues...
- Tam R, Li M, Gao Y, Pang Y, Yan S, Ge W, et al. Human CLEC16A regulates autophagy through modulating mTOR activity. Exp Cell Res. 2017;352:304-312 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that Golgi-associated CLEC16A negatively regulates autophagy via modulation of mTOR activity, and may provide support for a functional link between CLEC16A and autoimmunity. ..
- Dou Z, Xu C, Donahue G, Shimi T, Pan J, Zhu J, et al. Autophagy mediates degradation of nuclear lamina. Nature. 2015;527:105-9 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that this new function of autophagy acts as a guarding mechanism protecting cells from tumorigenesis. ..
- Koukourakis M, Kalamida D, Giatromanolaki A, Zois C, Sivridis E, Pouliliou S, et al. Autophagosome Proteins LC3A, LC3B and LC3C Have Distinct Subcellular Distribution Kinetics and Expression in Cancer Cell Lines. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0137675 pubmed publisher..b>LC3C was located in the cytoplasm and strongly in the nuclei (excluding nucleoli), where it extensively co-localized ..
- Borel S, Robert Hebmann V, Alfaisal J, Jain A, Faure M, Espert L, et al. HIV-1 viral infectivity factor interacts with microtubule-associated protein light chain 3 and inhibits autophagy. AIDS. 2015;29:275-86 pubmed..Our study unveils that Vif inhibits autophagy independently of its action on APOBEC3G and, therefore, suggest a new function of this viral protein in restricting innate antiviral mechanisms. ..
- Newman A, Scholefield C, Kemp A, Newman M, McIver E, Kamal A, et al. TBK1 kinase addiction in lung cancer cells is mediated via autophagy of Tax1bp1/Ndp52 and non-canonical NF-?B signalling. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e50672 pubmed publisher..Autophagy of these cargo receptors promotes non-canonical NF-?B signalling. We propose that this TBK1-dependent mechanism for NF-?B signalling contributes to autophagy addiction in K-Ras driven NSCLC. ..
- Liu H, He Z, Simon H. Autophagy suppresses melanoma tumorigenesis by inducing senescence. Autophagy. 2014;10:372-3 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our findings suggest that the status of ATG5 and autophagy could serve as a diagnostic marker for distinguishing benign from malignant tumors of melanocytes. ..
- Suzuki H, Tabata K, Morita E, Kawasaki M, Kato R, Dobson R, et al. Structural basis of the autophagy-related LC3/Atg13 LIR complex: recognition and interaction mechanism. Structure. 2014;22:47-58 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that each of the human LC3 isoforms (LC3A, LC3B, and LC3C) interacts with Atg13 via the LC3 interacting region (LIR) of Atg13...
- Stadel D, Millarte V, Tillmann K, Huber J, Tamin Yecheskel B, Akutsu M, et al. TECPR2 Cooperates with LC3C to Regulate COPII-Dependent ER Export. Mol Cell. 2015;60:89-104 pubmed publisher..of functional ER exit sites (ERES), and efficient ER export in a manner dependent on binding to lipidated LC3C. TECPR2-deficient HSP patient cells display alterations in SEC24D abundance and ER export efficiency...
- Lebovitz C, Robertson A, Goya R, Jones S, Morin R, Marra M, et al. Cross-cancer profiling of molecular alterations within the human autophagy interaction network. Autophagy. 2015;11:1668-87 pubmed publisher..Gene expression analyses revealed that GABARAPL1 and MAP1LC3C/LC3C transcripts were less abundant in breast cancer and non-small cell lung cancers than in matched normal ..
- Verlhac P, GrÃ©goire I, Azocar O, Petkova D, Baguet J, Viret C, et al. Autophagy receptor NDP52 regulates pathogen-containing autophagosome maturation. Cell Host Microbe. 2015;17:515-25 pubmed publisher..but independent of its function in pathogen targeting to autophagosomes, which relies on the interaction with LC3C. Thus, complete xenophagy is selectively regulated by a single autophagy receptor, which initially orchestrates ..
- Madjo U, Leymarie O, Frémont S, Kuster A, Nehlich M, Gallois Montbrun S, et al. LC3C Contributes to Vpu-Mediated Antagonism of BST2/Tetherin Restriction on HIV-1 Release through a Non-canonical Autophagy Pathway. Cell Rep. 2016;17:2221-2233 pubmed publisher..We found that Vpu selectively interacts with the ATG8 ortholog LC3C through the Vpu L63VEM66 sequence...
- Stolz A, Putyrski M, Kutle I, Huber J, Wang C, Major V, et al. Fluorescence-based ATG8 sensors monitor localization and function of LC3/GABARAP proteins. EMBO J. 2017;36:549-564 pubmed publisher..the use of the engineered peptides as intracellular sensors that recognize specifically GABARAP, GABL1, GABL2, and LC3C, as well as a bispecific sensor for LC3A and LC3B...