Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: MAGEA1
Description: MAGE family member A1
Alias: CT1.1, MAGE1, melanoma-associated antigen 1, MAGE-1 antigen, antigen MZ2-E, cancer/testis antigen 1.1, cancer/testis antigen family 1, member 1, melanoma antigen MAGE-1, melanoma antigen family A 1, melanoma antigen family A, 1 (directs expression of antigen MZ2-E), melanoma antigen family A1, melanoma-associated antigen MZ2-E
- Jang S, Soria J, Wang L, Hassan K, Morice R, Walsh G, et al. Activation of melanoma antigen tumor antigens occurs early in lung carcinogenesis. Cancer Res. 2001;61:7959-63 pubmed..These results suggest that MAGE genes may be activated very early in lung carcinogenesis and may be considered as targets for lung cancer prevention. ..
- Jin S, Cao S, Li J, Meng Q, Wang C, Yao L, et al. Cancer/testis antigens (CTAs) expression in resected lung cancer. Onco Targets Ther. 2018;11:4491-4499 pubmed publisherIncreasing evidence shows cancer/testis antigens (CTAs) play a key role in oncogenesis. Our pre-study finds that MAGEA1, MAGEA10, MAGEB2, KK-LC-1, and CTAG1A/B have high expression frequencies at ..
- Zhao J, Wang Y, Liang Q, Xu Y, Sang J. MAGEA1 inhibits the expression of BORIS via increased promoter methylation. J Cell Sci. 2019;132: pubmed publisherMelanoma-associated antigen A1 (MAGEA1) and BORIS (also known as CTCFL) are members of the cancer testis antigen (CTA) family. Their functions and expression-regulation mechanisms are not fully understood...
- Vodolazhsky D, Kutilin D, Mogushkova K, Kit O. Specific Features of Transcription Activity of Cancer-Testis Antigens in Patients with Metastatic and Non-Metastatic Breast Cancer. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2018;165:382-385 pubmed publisher..The relative expression of 16 genes (MAGEA1, MAGEA2, MAGEA3, MAGEA4, MAGEB1, MAGEB2, GAGE1, GAGE3, GAGE4, MAGEC1, BAGE, XAGE3, NY-ESO1, SSX2, SYCP1, and ..
- Wang X, Zhang J, Cheng Y, DU J, Chen D, Yang Z, et al. [Human caspase-14 expression in malignant melanoma and its significance]. Xi Bao Yu Fen Zi Mian Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2014;30:1180-3 pubmed..05). Caspase-14 is expressed in tissues and cells of malignant melanoma. Our data indicated that the expression level of caspase-14 affected the drug sensitivity of melanoma. ..
- Jin S, Cao S, Grigorev A, Li J, Meng Q, Wang C, et al. Establishment of cancer/testis antigen profiling based on clinicopathological characteristics in resected pathological stage III non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Manag Res. 2018;10:2031-2046 pubmed publisher..The most commonly expressed CTAs for total cases were MAGEA1 (60.0%), MAGEA10 (50.0%), and KK-LC-1 (47.5%)...
- Zamunér F, Karia B, de Oliveira C, Santos C, Carvalho A, Vettore A. A Comprehensive Expression Analysis of Cancer Testis Antigens in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Revels MAGEA3/6 as a Marker for Recurrence. Mol Cancer Ther. 2015;14:828-34 pubmed publisher..SPANX-CD (71.9%), MAGEB2 (44.9%), MAGEA1 (44.9%), MAGEB6 (32.6%), and CXORF48 (27...
- Li J, Hou J, Li L, Wang Y. Immunohistochemical subtypes of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma in the head and neck region. Genet Mol Res. 2015;14:3889-96 pubmed publisher..05); however, Bcl-6 did not correlate with the Hans and Choi algorithms. DLBCL of the head and neck is most commonly the ABC subtype, not GCB. The Hans, Choi, and Tally algorithms were not significantly different. ..
- Rauscher G, Kresovich J, Poulin M, Yan L, Macias V, Mahmoud A, et al. Exploring DNA methylation changes in promoter, intragenic, and intergenic regions as early and late events in breast cancer formation. BMC Cancer. 2015;15:816 pubmed publisher..The DNA regions studied were promoters (BRCA1, CD44, ESR1, GSTM2, GSTP1, MAGEA1, MSI1, NFE2L3, RASSF1A, RUNX3, SIX3 and TFF1), far-upstream regions (EN1, PAX3, PITX2, and SGK1), introns (APC, ..
- De Donato M, Peters S, Hussain T, Rodulfo H, Thomas B, Babar M, et al. Molecular evolution of type II MAGE genes from ancestral MAGED2 gene and their phylogenetic resolution of basal mammalian clades. Mamm Genome. 2017;28:443-454 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a need to change the gene nomenclature to MAGE1 (the ancestral gene), currently designated as LOC103095671 and LOC100935086, in opossum and Tasmanian devil, ..
- Demirbakan B, Sezginturk M. A sensitive and disposable indium tin oxide based electrochemical immunosensor for label-free detection of MAGE-1. Talanta. 2017;169:163-169 pubmed publisher..Futhermore, binding kinetics of MAGE1 to antiMAGE-1 is monitored by single frequency technique in real time...
- Hou S, Xian L, Shi P, Li C, Lin Z, Gao X. The Magea gene cluster regulates male germ cell apoptosis without affecting the fertility in mice. Sci Rep. 2016;6:26735 pubmed publisher..by generating a mouse model with a 210-kb genomic deletion encompassing six members of the Magea gene cluster (Magea1, Magea2, Magea3, Magea5, Magea6 and Magea8)...
- Dango S, Wang X, Gold M, Cucuruz B, Klein C, Passlick B, et al. Expression of melanoma-antigen-A (MAGE-A) in disseminated tumor cells in regional lymph nodes of patients with operable non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer. 2010;67:290-5 pubmed publisher..This study may provide a basis for the preselection of patients to be included in such immunotherapy trials after resection of NSCLC. ..
- Lu X, Zhao H, Sang X, Mao Y, Chen R, Zhong S, et al. [Expression of melanoma antigen-1, 3 genes in human intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma and its clinical significance]. Zhongguo Yi Xue Ke Xue Yuan Xue Bao. 2008;30:197-200 pubmed..05), except the morphology of tumor (P <0.05). The high expression rates of MAGE-1 and MAGE-3 genes in IHCC suggests the MAGE-1 and MAGE-3 gene may be a target for immunotherapy in IHCC patients. ..
- Hilal N, Novikov D, Novikov V, Karaulov A. [Cancer-testis genes in colon cancer]. Ter Arkh. 2017;89:113-117 pubmed publisher..tsp50, mage-a(1-6) ? ssx1,2,4 ????????????? ? ??????????????? ?????????, ?????????? ????? mage-c1 ? xage1 - ? ?????????????. ..
- Schultz Thater E, Juretic A, Dellabona P, Luscher U, Siegrist W, Harder F, et al. MAGE-1 gene product is a cytoplasmic protein. Int J Cancer. 1994;59:435-9 pubmed..Fluorescence microscopy shows that MAGE-1 gene product is a cytoplasmic protein clustered in paranuclear organelle-like structures. Thus, MAGE-1 protein location closely resembles that of P91A and P198 murine-tumor antigens. ..
- Iura K, Maekawa A, Kohashi K, Ishii T, Bekki H, Otsuka H, et al. Cancer-testis antigen expression in synovial sarcoma: NY-ESO-1, PRAME, MAGEA4, and MAGEA1. Hum Pathol. 2017;61:130-139 pubmed publisher..Among the up-regulated cancer-testis antigens, we analyzed PRAME, MAGEA1, and MAGEA4 and another cancer-testis antigen (NY-ESO-1) together, by immunohistochemistry and real-time ..
- Kerkar S, Wang Z, Lasota J, Park T, Patel K, Groh E, et al. MAGE-A is More Highly Expressed Than NY-ESO-1 in a Systematic Immunohistochemical Analysis of 3668 Cases. J Immunother. 2016;39:181-7 pubmed publisher..5%) and nonseminomas (40.1%/4.7%). In summary, MAGE-A is more highly expressed than NY-ESO-1 in a majority of human malignancies, and targeting MAGE-A may benefit a large number of patients. ..
- Celis E, Fikes J, Wentworth P, Sidney J, Southwood S, Maewal A, et al. Identification of potential CTL epitopes of tumor-associated antigen MAGE-1 for five common HLA-A alleles. Mol Immunol. 1994;31:1423-30 pubmed..Furthermore, eight of these peptides were found to bind well to more than one HLA-A allele. These results have important implications for the development of immunotherapeutic vaccines to treat malignant melanoma. ..
- Schwarzenbach H, Eichelser C, Steinbach B, Tadewaldt J, Pantel K, Lobanenkov V, et al. Differential regulation of MAGE-A1 promoter activity by BORIS and Sp1, both interacting with the TATA binding protein. BMC Cancer. 2014;14:796 pubmed publisher..We also show here that ectopic expression of BORIS can activate transcription from its own locus, inducing all its splice variants. ..
- Gur I, Fujiwara K, Hasegawa K, Yoshikawa K. Necdin promotes ubiquitin-dependent degradation of PIAS1 SUMO E3 ligase. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e99503 pubmed publisher..These SUMO E3 ligases bound to MAGEA1 but failed to interact with necdin-like 2/MAGEG1...
- Tanzarella S, Russo V, Lionello I, Dalerba P, Rigatti D, Bordignon C, et al. Identification of a promiscuous T-cell epitope encoded by multiple members of the MAGE family. Cancer Res. 1999;59:2668-74 pubmed..Furthermore, they suggest that some promiscuous peptide epitopes shared by different members of the MAGE family might be less prone to escape the immune response by generation of MAGE antigen loss variants. ..
- Caballero O, Zhao Q, Rimoldi D, Stevenson B, Svobodova S, Devalle S, et al. Frequent MAGE mutations in human melanoma. PLoS ONE. 2010;5: pubmed publisher..We undertook a mutational analysis of coding regions of four CT-X MAGE genes, MAGEA1, MAGEA4, MAGEC1, MAGEC2 and the ubiquitously expressed MAGEE1 in human melanoma samples...
- Roch N, Kutup A, Vashist Y, Yekebas E, Kalinin V, Izbicki J. Coexpression of MAGE-A peptides and HLA class I molecules in hepatocellular carcinoma. Anticancer Res. 2010;30:1617-23 pubmed..The tumour-specific expression of MAGE genes and antigens encoded by a MAGE-family gene may represent useful targets for tumour-specific immunotherapy in HCC patients, in addition to established treatment options. ..
- Takahashi K, Shichijo S, Noguchi M, Hirohata M, Itoh K. Identification of MAGE-1 and MAGE-4 proteins in spermatogonia and primary spermatocytes of testis. Cancer Res. 1995;55:3478-82 pubmed..Therefore, MAGE proteins are normal tissue antigens compartmentalized in particular testicular cells playing an important role in the early phase of the spermatogenesis. ..
- He S, Wang L, Wu Y, Li D, Zhang Y. CCL3 and CCL20-recruited dendritic cells modified by melanoma antigen gene-1 induce anti-tumor immunity against gastric cancer ex vivo and in vivo. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2010;29:37 pubmed publisher..This system may prove to be an efficient strategy for anti-tumor immunotherapy. ..
- Ogata K, Aihara R, Mochiki E, Ogawa A, Yanai M, Toyomasu Y, et al. Clinical significance of melanoma antigen-encoding gene-1 (MAGE-1) expression and its correlation with poor prognosis in differentiated advanced gastric cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011;18:1195-203 pubmed publisher..031). These findings suggest that MAGE-1 protein expression can serve as a predictive marker of poor prognosis in differentiated AGC patients. ..
- Mallon A, Platzer M, Bate R, Gloeckner G, Botcherby M, Nordsiek G, et al. Comparative genome sequence analysis of the Bpa/Str region in mouse and Man. Genome Res. 2000;10:758-75 pubmed..Surprisingly, this region showed an extremely high LINE and low SINE content, low G+C content, and yet a relatively high gene density, in contrast to the low gene density usually associated with such regions. ..
- Hudolin T, Juretic A, Spagnoli G, Pasini J, Bandic D, Heberer M, et al. Immunohistochemical expression of tumor antigens MAGE-A1, MAGE-A3/4, and NY-ESO-1 in cancerous and benign prostatic tissue. Prostate. 2006;66:13-8 pubmed..Our data underline the peculiar relevance of cancer testis antigens expression in prostate cancers, with potential implications regarding both diagnosis and therapy. ..
- Suzuki T, Yoshida K, Wada Y, Hamai Y, Sentani K, Oue N, et al. Melanoma-associated antigen-A1 expression predicts resistance to docetaxel and paclitaxel in advanced and recurrent gastric cancer. Oncol Rep. 2007;18:329-36 pubmed..These results suggest that although MAGE-A1 does not participate directly in the drug-resistant phenotype, the expression of MAGE-A1 could be a marker for the prediction of resistance to taxan-based chemotherapies in patients with GC. ..
- Suyama T, Ohashi H, Nagai H, Hatano S, Asano H, Murate T, et al. The MAGE-A1 gene expression is not determined solely by methylation status of the promoter region in hematological malignancies. Leuk Res. 2002;26:1113-8 pubmed..Our results indicate that the MAGE-A1 gene expression is not determined solely by the methylation status of the promoter region in hematological malignancies. ..
- Jeon C, Lee H, Shin I, Park J. Genetic alterations of APC, K-ras, p53, MSI, and MAGE in Korean colorectal cancer patients. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2008;23:29-35 pubmed..1% of CRCs. The lack of multiple mutations and of a relation between mutation rates and clinical stage suggest that genetic alterations might have independent influences on CRC development in Koreans. ..
- Loriot A, Sterpin C, De Backer O, De Smet C. Mouse embryonic stem cells induce targeted DNA demethylation within human MAGE-A1 transgenes. Epigenetics. 2008;3:38-42 pubmed..Our results indicate that mES cells induce demethylation of MAGE-A1 and represent therefore a valuable system to study this tumor-related process. ..
- Ries J, Vairaktaris E, Mollaoglu N, Wiltfang J, Neukam F, Nkenke E. Expression of melanoma-associated antigens in oral squamous cell carcinoma. J Oral Pathol Med. 2008;37:88-93 pubmed publisher..In addition, monitoring the expression of several MAGE-A subtypes may determine suitable immunotherapeutic targets. Subsequently, coexpressed genes may be warranted for developing polyvalent vaccines. ..
- Chen H, Cai S, Zhao H, Peng J, Pang X, Zhu J, et al. Expression of the MAGE-1 gene in human hepatocellular carcinomas. Chin Med J (Engl). 2000;113:1112-8 pubmed..This study shows that MAGE-1 mRNA is highly expressed in HCC tumor tissue in Chinese patients. Previously unreported point mutations in the MAGE-1 gene are described and may also provide additional opportunities for immunotherapy. ..
- Gundogdu A, Aydın E, Sezginturk M. A novel electrochemical immunosensor based on ITO modified by carboxyl-ended silane agent for ultrasensitive detection of MAGE-1 in human serum. Anal Biochem. 2017;537:84-92 pubmed publisher..It had acceptable repeatability (5.05%, n = 20) and good storage stability (3.58% loss after 10 weeks). Moreover, this electrochemical immunosensor has been successfully applied to the determination of MAGE-1 in human serum samples. ..
- Luescher I, Romero P, Kuznetsov D, Rimoldi D, Coulie P, Cerottini J, et al. HLA photoaffinity labeling reveals overlapping binding of homologous melanoma-associated gene peptides by HLA-A1, HLA-A29, and HLA-B44. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:12463-71 pubmed..The overlapping binding of homologous MAGE peptides by HLA-A1, A29, and B44 is based on different binding principles and may have implications for immunotherapy of MAGE-positive tumors. ..
- Zerbini A, Pilli M, Soliani P, Ziegler S, Pelosi G, Orlandini A, et al. Ex vivo characterization of tumor-derived melanoma antigen encoding gene-specific CD8+cells in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. J Hepatol. 2004;40:102-9 pubmed
- Wang L, Chen H, Mei M, Qin L, Cong X, Fei R, et al. [The genetic polymorphism of melanoma-associated antigen 1 in Chinese normal donors and hepatoma patients]. Zhonghua Gan Zang Bing Za Zhi. 2004;12:151-5 pubmed..Three SNP types of MAGE-1 gene exist in Chinese population. The three-dimensional models of MAGE-1 proteins were obtained by computer processing. These results will be helpful to developing MAGE-1 peptide-vaccine for HCC immunotherapy. ..
- Laban S, Giebel G, Klümper N, Schrock A, Doescher J, Spagnoli G, et al. MAGE expression in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma primary tumors, lymph node metastases and respective recurrences-implications for immunotherapy. Oncotarget. 2017;8:14719-14735 pubmed publisher..MAGE expression was confirmed as a prognostic marker in HNSCC and may be important for immunotherapeutic strategies as a shared antigen. ..
- Mecklenburg I, Sienel W, Schmid S, Passlick B, Kufer P. A Threshold of Systemic MAGE-A Gene Expression Predicting Survival in Resected Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2017;23:1213-1219 pubmed publisher..i>Clin Cancer Res; 23(5); 1213-9. Â©2016 AACR. ..
- Zhang J, Yu J, Gu J, Gao B, Zhao Y, Wang P, et al. A novel protein-DNA interaction involved with the CpG dinucleotide at -30 upstream is linked to the DNA methylation mediated transcription silencing of the MAGE-A1 gene. Cell Res. 2004;14:283-94 pubmed
- Liu S, Sang M, Xu Y, Gu L, Liu F, Shan B. Expression of MAGE-A1, -A9, -A11 in laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma and their prognostic significance: a retrospective clinical study. Acta Otolaryngol. 2016;136:506-13 pubmed publisher..Cox's multivariable analysis showed that MAGE-A9 expression was an independently poor prognostic factor for LSCC patients. ..
- Chen Y, Stockert E, Chen Y, Garin Chesa P, Rettig W, van der Bruggen P, et al. Identification of the MAGE-1 gene product by monoclonal and polyclonal antibodies. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:1004-8 pubmed..Transfection of the MAGE-1 gene into a MAGE-1 mRNA-negative melanoma cell line resulted in the expression of the 46-kDa protein, confirming the identity of this protein as the MAGE-1 gene product. ..
- Kozakova L, Vondrova L, Stejskal K, Charalabous P, Kolesar P, Lehmann A, et al. The melanoma-associated antigen 1 (MAGEA1) protein stimulates the E3 ubiquitin-ligase activity of TRIM31 within a TRIM31-MAGEA1-NSE4 complex. Cell Cycle. 2015;14:920-30 pubmed publisher..of the WH/B motif of the MAGE proteins with their NSE4/EID partners are evolutionarily conserved (including the MAGEA1-NSE4 interaction). In contrast, the interaction of the WH/A motif of NSE3 with NSE1 diverged in the MAGE paralogs...
- Zhang S, Zhou X, Yu H, Yu Y. Expression of tumor-specific antigen MAGE, GAGE and BAGE in ovarian cancer tissues and cell lines. BMC Cancer. 2010;10:163 pubmed publisher..These genes can be used as one of the important indicators for early diagnosis, efficacy evaluation and prognostic determination of ovarian cancer. ..
- Ding M, Beck R, Keller C, Fenton R. Cloning and analysis of MAGE-1-related genes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1994;202:549-55 pubmed..In addition, a nonamer peptide encoded by both the MAGE-3 and MAGE-12 genes was shown by direct binding studies to contain an aggretope for HLA-A2. ..
- Wang M, Zakut R, Yi H, Rosenberg S, McBride O. Localization of the MAGE1 gene encoding a human melanoma antigen to chromosome Xq28. Cytogenet Cell Genet. 1994;67:116-9 pubmedb>MAGE1 encodes a tumor specific antigen MZ2-E that elicited a cytotoxic T lymphocytic response (CTL) in the patient from whom it was derived...
- Gjerstorff M, Kock K, Nielsen O, Ditzel H. MAGE-A1, GAGE and NY-ESO-1 cancer/testis antigen expression during human gonadal development. Hum Reprod. 2007;22:953-60 pubmed..The recognition of differential cellular expression of GAGE, MAGE-A1, NY-ESO-1 and OCT4 may help define biologically distinct germ cell subpopulations. ..
- Shin K, Lee K, Lee C, Shin I, Suh H, Jeon C. MAGE A1-A6 RT-PCR and MAGE A3 and p16 methylation analysis in induced sputum from patients with lung cancer and non-malignant lung diseases. Oncol Rep. 2012;27:911-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, MAGE expression in the sputum suggests the presence of lung cancer cells or pre-cancerous cells. ..
- Gaugler B, Van den Eynde B, van der Bruggen P, Romero P, Gaforio J, De Plaen E, et al. Human gene MAGE-3 codes for an antigen recognized on a melanoma by autologous cytolytic T lymphocytes. J Exp Med. 1994;179:921-30 pubmed..It is expressed in a larger proportion of melanoma samples than MAGE-1. MAGE-3 encoded antigens may therefore have a wide applicability for specific immunotherapy of melanoma patients. ..
- Zhao J, Wang Y, Mu C, Xu Y, Sang J. MAGEA1 interacts with FBXW7 and regulates ubiquitin ligase-mediated turnover of NICD1 in breast and ovarian cancer cells. Oncogene. 2017;36:5023-5034 pubmed publisherMelanoma-associated antigen A1 (MAGEA1) is member of the MAGE gene family that is expressed in male germ line cells and placenta under normal physiological conditions...
- Becker J, Gillitzer R, Brocker E. A member of the melanoma antigen-encoding gene (MAGE) family is expressed in human skin during wound healing. Int J Cancer. 1994;58:346-8 pubmed..Our data strongly suggest that MAGE mRNA expression is not necessarily linked to neoplastic transformation, but rather represents the function of a cellular gene which is activated during inflammation or early tissue repair. ..
- Cannuyer J, Loriot A, Parvizi G, De Smet C. Epigenetic hierarchy within the MAGEA1 cancer-germline gene: promoter DNA methylation dictates local histone modifications. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58743 pubmed publisherGene MAGEA1 belongs to a group of human germline-specific genes that rely on DNA methylation for repression in somatic tissues...
- Rogner U, Wilke K, Steck E, Korn B, Poustka A. The melanoma antigen gene (MAGE) family is clustered in the chromosomal band Xq28. Genomics. 1995;29:725-31 pubmed..Analysis of different species suggests that human MAGE sequences are conserved in primates, but less well conserved in other vertebrate species. ..
- Kim K, Choi J, Kim I, Ku J, Park J. Promoter hypomethylation and reactivation of MAGE-A1 and MAGE-A3 genes in colorectal cancer cell lines and cancer tissues. World J Gastroenterol. 2006;12:5651-7 pubmed..The promoter hypomethylation of MAGE genes up-regulates its expression in colorectal carcinomas as well as in gastric cancers and might play a significant role in the development and progression of human colorectal carcinomas. ..
- Laduron S, Deplus R, Zhou S, Kholmanskikh O, Godelaine D, De Smet C, et al. MAGE-A1 interacts with adaptor SKIP and the deacetylase HDAC1 to repress transcription. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:4340-50 pubmed..MAGE-A1 could therefore participate in the setting of specific gene expression patterns for tumor cell growth or spermatogenesis. ..
- Wang D, Wang J, Ding N, Li Y, Yang Y, Fang X, et al. MAGE-A1 promotes melanoma proliferation and migration through C-JUN activation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016;473:959-965 pubmed publisher..Based on our findings, we propose that MAGE-A1 may be a potential therapeutic target for melanoma patients. ..