Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: LGALS7
Description: galectin 7
Alias: GAL7, LGALS7A, galectin-7, lectin, galactoside-binding, soluble, 7
- Madsen P, Rasmussen H, Flint T, Gromov P, Kruse T, Honore B, et al. Cloning, expression, and chromosome mapping of human galectin-7. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:5823-9 pubmed..Both, its cellular localization as well as its striking down-regulation in K14 keratinocytes imply a role in cell-cell and/or cell-matrix interactions necessary for normal growth control. The galectin-7 gene was mapped to chromosome 19. ..
- Leonidas D, Vatzaki E, Vorum H, Celis J, Madsen P, Acharya K. Structural basis for the recognition of carbohydrates by human galectin-7. Biochemistry. 1998;37:13930-40 pubmed..The monomeric hGal-7 molecule exists as a dimer in the crystals, but adopts a packing arrangement considerably different from that of Gal-1 and Gal-2, which has implications for carbohydrate recognition. ..
- Kim H, Jeon H, Lee J, Sung C, Do I, Choi C, et al. Clinical significance of galectin-7 in epithelial ovarian cancer. Anticancer Res. 2013;33:1555-61 pubmed..We observed that high GAL-7 might be associated with poor survival outcome in patients with EOC, and may be functionally involved in cell proliferation. ..
- Saussez S, Cludts S, Capouillez A, Mortuaire G, Smetana K, Kaltner H, et al. Identification of matrix metalloproteinase-9 as an independent prognostic marker in laryngeal and hypopharyngeal cancer with opposite correlations to adhesion/growth-regulatory galectins-1 and -7. Int J Oncol. 2009;34:433-9 pubmed..Moreover, it indicated associations between MMP-9 and multifunctional galectins-1 and -7 in situ. ..
- Magnaldo T, Fowlis D, Darmon M. Galectin-7, a marker of all types of stratified epithelia. Differentiation. 1998;63:159-68 pubmed..Galectin-7 was absent from cultured carcinoma cell lines and was reduced both in human carcinomas and in murine tumors produced with the two-stage carcinogenesis protocol. ..
- Park J, Chang W, Cho M. Induction of matrix metalloproteinase-9 by galectin-7 through p38 MAPK signaling in HeLa human cervical epithelial adenocarcinoma cells. Oncol Rep. 2009;22:1373-9 pubmed..These results indicate that galectin-7 increases the expression of MMP-9 through the p38 MAPK signaling pathway. ..
- Demers M, Rose A, Grosset A, Biron Pain K, Gaboury L, Siegel P, et al. Overexpression of galectin-7, a myoepithelial cell marker, enhances spontaneous metastasis of breast cancer cells. Am J Pathol. 2010;176:3023-31 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that galectin-7 may represent a potential target for both specific detection and therapeutic inhibition of metastatic breast cancer. ..
- Polyak K, Xia Y, Zweier J, Kinzler K, Vogelstein B. A model for p53-induced apoptosis. Nature. 1997;389:300-5 pubmed
- Kim S, Hwang J, Ro J, Lee Y, Chun K. Galectin-7 is epigenetically-regulated tumor suppressor in gastric cancer. Oncotarget. 2013;4:1461-71 pubmed..Further study of galectin-7 regulation may lead to improved gastric cancer diagnosis and therapy. ..
- Cada Z, Chovanec M, Smetana K, Betka J, Lacina L, Plzak J, et al. Galectin-7: will the lectin's activity establish clinical correlations in head and neck squamous cell and basal cell carcinomas?. Histol Histopathol. 2009;24:41-8 pubmed publisher..Absence of Gal-7 expression was detected in basal cell carcinomas. These clinical data delineate Gal-7 influence on differentiation in vivo, without evidence for a role in dissemination reported for lymphoma. ..
- Yamaguchi T, Hiromasa K, Kabashima Kubo R, Yoshioka M, Nakamura M. Galectin-7, induced by cis-urocanic acid and ultraviolet B irradiation, down-modulates cytokine production by T lymphocytes. Exp Dermatol. 2013;22:840-2 pubmed publisher..Taken together, galectin-7 may play important roles in downregulating the functions of T lymphocytes after UVB irradiation and can be developed into novel immunosuppressive therapies for inflammatory skin diseases. ..
- Cao Z, Said N, Wu H, Kuwabara I, Liu F, Panjwani N. Galectin-7 as a potential mediator of corneal epithelial cell migration. Arch Ophthalmol. 2003;121:82-6 pubmed..These findings have broad implications for developing novel, galectin-based, therapeutic strategies for treatment of nonhealing corneal epithelial defects. ..
- Duan S, Shi J, Yin Q, Zhang R, Han P, Wang Q, et al. Reverse Evolution of a Classic Gene Network in Yeast Offers a Competitive Advantage. Curr Biol. 2019;29:1126-1136.e5 pubmed publisher..cerevisiae) lineage in spontaneously fermented milk has swapped all its structural GAL genes (GAL2 and the GAL7-10-1 cluster) with early diverged versions through introgression...
- Sun X, Zhang W. Silencing of Gal-7 inhibits TGF-β1-induced apoptosis of human airway epithelial cells through JNK signaling pathway. Exp Cell Res. 2019;375:100-105 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that Gal-7 silence attenuates TGF-β1-induced apoptosis in bronchial epithelial cells through the inactivation of JNK pathway. Therefore, Gal-7 may act as a potential target for asthma treatment. ..
- Murphy E, MÃ¶rgelin M, Reinhardt D, Olin A, BjÃ¶rck L, Frick I. Identification of molecular mechanisms used by Finegoldia magna to penetrate and colonize human skin. Mol Microbiol. 2014;94:403-17 pubmed publisher..The findings of this study paint a clear picture of how F. magna interacts with human skin and explain how it is such a successful opportunistic pathogen in chronic wounds and ulcers. ..
- Hänel L, Gosau T, Maar H, Valentiner U, Schumacher U, Riecken K, et al. Differential Proteome Analysis of Human Neuroblastoma Xenograft Primary Tumors and Matched Spontaneous Distant Metastases. Sci Rep. 2018;8:13986 pubmed publisher..metastatic sites, respectively, most of which were so far not related to metastasis such as LYPLA2, EIF4B, DPY30, LGALS7, PRPH, and NEFM...
- Gendronneau G, Sidhu S, Delacour D, Dang T, Calonne C, Houzelstein D, et al. Galectin-7 in the control of epidermal homeostasis after injury. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:5541-9 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies provide the first genetic evidence showing that galectin-7 can modulate keratinocyte apoptosis, proliferation, and migration during skin repair. ..
- Gendronneau G, Sanii S, Dang T, Deshayes F, Delacour D, Pichard E, et al. Overexpression of galectin-7 in mouse epidermis leads to loss of cell junctions and defective skin repair. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0119031 pubmed publisher..This study brings new insight into the mode of action of galectins in normal and pathological situations. ..
- Sirr A, Cromie G, Jeffery E, Gilbert T, Ludlow C, Scott A, et al. Allelic variation, aneuploidy, and nongenetic mechanisms suppress a monogenic trait in yeast. Genetics. 2015;199:247-62 pubmed publisher..Yeast strains with loss-of-function mutations in the yeast ortholog (GAL7) of the human disease gene (GALT) fail to grow in the presence of even small amounts of galactose due to ..
- Mesquita J, Queiroz L, Silveira Ã, Gordon Nunez M, Godoy G, Nonaka C, et al. Association of immunoexpression of the galectins-3 and -7 with histopathological and clinical parameters in oral squamous cell carcinoma in young patients. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2016;273:237-43 pubmed publisher..05). In conclusion, the results suggest the use of galectin-7 as marker of biological behavior and tumor progression in OSCC in young patients. ..
- Luo Z, Ji Y, Tian D, Zhang Y, Chang S, Yang C, et al. Galectin-7 promotes proliferation and Th1/2 cells polarization toward Th1 in activated CD4+ T cells by inhibiting The TGFβ/Smad3 pathway. Mol Immunol. 2018;101:80-85 pubmed publisher..These results revealed a novel role of Gal-7 in promoting proliferation and Th1/2 cells polarization toward Th1 in activated CD4+ T cells by inhibiting the TGFβ/Smad3 pathway. ..
- Kaur M, Kaur T, Kamboj S, Singh J. Roles of Galectin-7 in Cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2016;17:455-61 pubmed..This review collectively summarizes available literature on expression and roles of galectin-7 in different cancers. ..
- Grosset A, Poirier F, Gaboury L, St Pierre Y. Galectin-7 Expression Potentiates HER-2-Positive Phenotype in Breast Cancer. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0166731 pubmed publisher..Finally, assessment of mice survival and tumor volume showed a delay of mammary tumor growth in the absence of systemic gal-7. These data suggest that gal-7 could potentiate the phenotype of HER-2 positive primary breast cancer. ..
- Marcotuli I, Houston K, Waugh R, Fincher G, Burton R, Blanco A, et al. Genome Wide Association Mapping for Arabinoxylan Content in a Collection of Tetraploid Wheats. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0132787 pubmed publisher..These included a glycosyl hydrolase GH35, which encodes Gal7 and a glucosyltransferase GT31 on chromosome 1A; a cluster of GT1 genes on chromosome 2B that includes TaUGT1 and ..
- Roedgaard M, Fredsoe J, Pedersen J, Bjergbaek L, Andersen A. DNA Topoisomerases Are Required for Preinitiation Complex Assembly during GAL Gene Activation. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0132739 pubmed publisher..of topoisomerases for transcription of the galactose induced genes, we have studied the expression of GAL1, GAL2, GAL7 and GAL10 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae cells deficient for topoisomerases I and II...
- Yaprak E, Kasap M, Akpinar G, Kayaaltı Yüksek S, Sinanoglu A, Güzel N, et al. The prominent proteins expressed in healthy gingiva: a pilot exploratory tissue proteomics study. Odontology. 2018;106:19-28 pubmed publisher..This study established an initial proteome map of the gingival tissue from healthy individuals. ..
- Advedissian T, Deshayes F, Viguier M. Galectin-7 in Epithelial Homeostasis and Carcinomas. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..In this issue, we will focus on the physiological functions of galectin-7 in epithelia and present the alterations of galectin-7 expression in carcinomas with the aim to describe its possible functions in tumour progression. ..
- Brito L, de Lemos Almeida M, de Souza L, Alves P, Nonaka C, Godoy G. Immunohistochemical Analysis of Galectins-1, -3, and -7 in Periapical Granulomas, Radicular Cysts, and Residual Radicular Cysts. J Endod. 2018;44:728-733 pubmed publisher..05). Galectins-1 and -7 may play important roles in the pathogenesis of PGs, RCs, and RRCs. On the other hand, the present results suggest only a minor involvement of galectin-3 in the development of these lesions. ..
- Ianiri G, Boyce K, Idnurm A. Isolation of conditional mutations in genes essential for viability of Cryptococcus neoformans. Curr Genet. 2017;63:519-530 pubmed publisher..Insertions of the promoter of the GAL7 gene were made in the human pathogen Cryptococcus neoformans...
- Higareda Almaraz J, Ruiz Moreno J, Klimentova J, Barbieri D, Salvador Gallego R, Ly R, et al. Systems-level effects of ectopic galectin-7 reconstitution in cervical cancer and its microenvironment. BMC Cancer. 2016;16:680 pubmed publisher..The effect of Gal-7 extends to the microenvironment, where networks involved in its configuration and in immune surveillance are particularly affected. ..
- Ramaswamy S, Sleiman M, Masuyer G, Arbez Gindre C, Micha Screttas M, Calogeropoulou T, et al. Structural basis of multivalent galactose-based dendrimer recognition by human galectin-7. FEBS J. 2015;282:372-87 pubmed publisher..Understanding how these dendrimeric compounds interact with hGal-7 would help in the design of new tools to investigate the recognition of carbohydrates by lectins. ..
- Advedissian T, Proux Gillardeaux V, Nkosi R, Peyret G, Nguyen T, Poirier F, et al. E-cadherin dynamics is regulated by galectin-7 at epithelial cell surface. Sci Rep. 2017;7:17086 pubmed publisher..Consequently, this study not only identifies a new stabilizer of adherens junctions but also emphasises the importance of the interplay between E-cadherin turnover and intercellular adhesion strength. ..
- Matsukawa S, Morita K, Negishi A, Harada H, Nakajima Y, Shimamoto H, et al. Galectin-7 as a potential predictive marker of chemo- and/or radio-therapy resistance in oral squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Med. 2014;3:349-61 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our findings suggest that galectin-7 is a potential predictive marker of chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy resistance in patients with OSCC. ..
- Yin G, Zhao S, Guo S, Zhao Y, Liu X, Jiang Z. [Galectin-7 is associated with bronchial epithelial cell apoptosis in asthmatic children]. Zhonghua Er Ke Za Zhi. 2006;44:523-6 pubmed..Galectin-7 and mRNA were overexpressed in bronchial epithelial cells in asthma in vivo. Bronchial epithelial cell apoptosis increased in asthma in vivo. Galectin-7 may be associated with bronchial epithelial cell apoptosis in asthma. ..
- Schulz H, Schmoeckel E, Kuhn C, Hofmann S, Mayr D, Mahner S, et al. Galectins-1, -3, and -7 Are Prognostic Markers for Survival of Ovarian Cancer Patients. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..We were able to confirm cytoplasmic Gal-7 as a negative prognostic factor. Gal-3 staining in the nucleus could be a new positive prognosticator for ovarian cancer. ..
- Wang J, Liu Y, Yang Y, Xu Z, Zhang G, Liu Z, et al. High expression of galectin-7 associates with poor overall survival in patients with non-metastatic clear-cell renal cell carcinoma. Oncotarget. 2016;7:41986-41995 pubmed publisher..High galectin-7 expression is an independent adverse predictor for survival. Evaluation of galectin-7 could help guide postsurgical management for non-metastatic ccRCC patients. ..
- Lee J, Lee Y, Jeon B, Jeon Y, Yoo H, Kim T. EC-SOD induces apoptosis through COX-2 and galectin-7 in the epidermis. J Dermatol Sci. 2012;65:126-33 pubmed publisher..Our results imply that EC-SOD plays a role not only as a reactive oxygen species scavenger, but also as a pro-apoptotic factor via COX-2/galectin-7 pathways in the epidermis. ..
- Ermakova E, Miller M, Nesmelova I, López Merino L, Berbís M, Nesmelov Y, et al. Lactose binding to human galectin-7 (p53-induced gene 1) induces long-range effects through the protein resulting in increased dimer stability and evidence for positive cooperativity. Glycobiology. 2013;23:508-23 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results reveal long-range effects on Gal-7 structure and dynamics, which factor into entropic contributions to ligand binding and allow further comparisons with other members of the galectin family. ..
- Masuyer G, Jabeen T, Oberg C, Leffler H, Nilsson U, Acharya K. Inhibition mechanism of human galectin-7 by a novel galactose-benzylphosphate inhibitor. FEBS J. 2012;279:193-202 pubmed publisher..This structural information will allow the design of further inhibitors with improved potency and specificity. ..
- Labrie M, Vladoiu M, Leclerc B, Grosset A, Gaboury L, Stagg J, et al. A Mutation in the Carbohydrate Recognition Domain Drives a Phenotypic Switch in the Role of Galectin-7 in Prostate Cancer. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0131307 pubmed publisher..This CRD-independent activity represents a paradigm shift in our understanding of the functions of galectin. The R74S model will be useful to distinguish CRD-dependent and CRD-independent functions of gal-7 in cancer progression. ..
- Grosset A, Labrie M, GagnÃ© D, Vladoiu M, Gaboury L, Doucet N, et al. Cytosolic galectin-7 impairs p53 functions and induces chemoresistance in breast cancer cells. BMC Cancer. 2014;14:801 pubmed publisher..Our study will thus complement efforts towards improving selectivity of targeted anticancer agents. ..
- Labrie M, Vladoiu M, Grosset A, Gaboury L, St Pierre Y. Expression and functions of galectin-7 in ovarian cancer. Oncotarget. 2014;5:7705-21 pubmed..Taken together, our study validates the clinical significance of gal-7 overexpression in ovarian cancer and provides a rationale for targeting gal-7 to improve the outcome of patients with this disease. ..
- Rondanino C, Poland P, Kinlough C, Li H, Rbaibi Y, MYERBURG M, et al. Galectin-7 modulates the length of the primary cilia and wound repair in polarized kidney epithelial cells. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2011;301:F622-33 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Gal-7 is selectively targeted to cilia and plays a key role in surface stabilization of glycoconjugates responsible for integrating cilia function with epithelial repair...
- Huang S, Wu C, Chiu M, Yang H, Chen G, Lan C. High-glucose environment induced intracellular O-GlcNAc glycosylation and reduced galectin-7 expression in keratinocytes: Implications on impaired diabetic wound healing. J Dermatol Sci. 2017;87:168-175 pubmed publisher..Taken together, restoring the levels of Gal-7 and O-GlcNAc glycosylation may present novel therapeutic approach to promote wound healing in diabetic patients. ..
- Demers M, Couillard J, Giglia Mari G, Magnaldo T, St Pierre Y. Increased galectin-7 gene expression in lymphoma cells is under the control of DNA methylation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;387:425-9 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data suggest that abnormal expression of galectin-7 in lymphoma cells is not dependent on p53, but is rather associated with DNA hypomethylation. ..
- Dion J, Advedissian T, Storozhylova N, Dahbi S, Lambert A, Deshayes F, et al. Development of a Sensitive Microarray Platform for the Ranking of Galectin Inhibitors: Identification of a Selective Galectin-3 Inhibitor. Chembiochem. 2017;: pubmed publisher..We eventually identified a diaromatic oxazoline as a highly specific inhibitor of galectin-3 versus galectin-1 and galectin-7...
- Takagi D, Hato N, Okada M, Hakuba N, Gyo K, Shigemoto K, et al. Galectin-7 as a marker of cholesteatoma residue and its detection during surgery by an immunofluorescent method--a preliminary study. Otol Neurotol. 2012;33:396-9 pubmed publisher..Because residual cholesteatoma matrix is considered to be one of the main causes of cholesteatoma recurrence, staining with galectin-7 at the time of operation would be a promising way to facilitate complete removal of the residue. ..
- Menkhorst E, Gamage T, Cuman C, Kaitu u Lino T, Tong S, Dimitriadis E. Galectin-7 acts as an adhesion molecule during implantation and increased expression is associated with miscarriage. Placenta. 2014;35:195-201 pubmed publisher..Serum levels may be useful as a predictive biomarker of miscarriage. Our data suggests that galectin-7 facilitates adhesion of the embryo to the endometrium and elevated galectin-7 may result in abnormal adhesion. ..
- Evans J, Yap J, Gamage T, Salamonsen L, Dimitriadis E, Menkhorst E. Galectin-7 is important for normal uterine repair following menstruation. Mol Hum Reprod. 2014;20:787-98 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, galectin-7 is produced by the premenstrual and menstrual endometrium, where it accumulates in menstrual fluid and likely acts as a paracrine factor to facilitate post-menstrual endometrial re-epithelialization. ..
- Bibens Laulan N, St Pierre Y. Intracellular galectin-7 expression in cancer cells results from an autocrine transcriptional mechanism and endocytosis of extracellular galectin-7. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0187194 pubmed publisher..It does so via two distinct yet complementary mechanisms: firstly by increasing the transcriptional activation of lgals7 gene transcription, and secondly via re-entry into the cells...
- Sood V, Cajigas I, D Urso A, Light W, Brickner J. Epigenetic Transcriptional Memory of GAL Genes Depends on Growth in Glucose and the Tup1 Transcription Factor in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2017;206:1895-1907 pubmed publisher..produced Gal1 protein enhances the rate of reactivation of GAL1, GAL10, GAL2, and GAL7 These genes also interact with the nuclear pore complex (NPC) and localize to the nuclear periphery both when ..
- Than T, Swethadri G, Wong J, Ahmad T, Jamil D, Maganlal R, et al. Expression of Galectin-3 and Galectin-7 in thyroid malignancy as potential diagnostic indicators. Singapore Med J. 2008;49:333-8 pubmed
- Duray A, De Maesschalck T, Decaestecker C, Remmelink M, Chantrain G, Neiveyans J, et al. Galectin fingerprinting in naso-sinusal diseases. Oncol Rep. 2014;32:23-32 pubmed publisher..In addition, we observed that the expression of galectin in naso-sinusal diseases seems to be affected by tumor progression and not inflammatory or allergic phenomena. ..
- Nio Kobayashi J. Tissue- and cell-specific localization of galectins, ?-galactose-binding animal lectins, and their potential functions in health and disease. Anat Sci Int. 2017;92:25-36 pubmed..The ligand glycoconjugate structures mediated by glycosyltransferases including MGAT5, ST6GAL1, and C2GnT are important for revealing the functions of galectins in healthy and disease states. ..
- Cho S, Kim J, Zheng Z, Choi M, Choi I, Oh H, et al. Decreased tissue and serum expression of galectin-7 in patients with hypertrophic scars. Acta Derm Venereol. 2013;93:669-73 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the differences in galectin-7 expression and subcellular and extracellular distribution may be crucially involved in the pathogenic process of HS. ..
- Niiyama S, Yoshino T, Yasuda C, Yu X, Izumi R, Ishiwatari S, et al. Galectin-7 in the stratum corneum: a biomarker of the skin barrier function. Int J Cosmet Sci. 2016;38:487-95 pubmed publisher..Measurement of scGal-7 content in tape-stripped samples was useful for the evaluation of the skin barrier function in dry skin conditions such as AD. ..
- Chen H, Chiang P, Lo C, Lo Y, Hsu D, Chen H, et al. Galectin-7 Regulates Keratinocyte Proliferation and Differentiation through JNK-miR-203-p63 Signaling. J Invest Dermatol. 2016;136:182-191 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data suggest an intracellular function of galectin-7: regulation of keratinocyte proliferation and differentiation through the JNK1-miR-203-p63 pathway. ..