Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: leptin
Alias: LEPD, OBS, leptin (murine obesity homolog), leptin (obesity homolog, mouse), obese protein, obese, mouse, homolog of, obesity factor
Publications232 found, 100 shown here
- A general kinetic approach to investigation of active-site availability in macromolecular catalystsM Resmini
Laboratory of Structural and Mechanistic Enzymology, Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Queen Mary and Westfield College, University of London, Mile End Road, London E1 4NS
Biochem J 346:117-25. 2000..under catalytic conditions where substrate concentrations greatly exceed catalyst concentration with those (klim/obs, the limiting value of the first-order rate constant, k(obs), at saturating concentrations of catalyst; and Kapp/m) ..
- Oleoyl-estrone lowers the body weight of both ob/ob and db/db miceM M Grasa
, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
Horm Metab Res 32:246-50. 2000..The results suggest that oleoyl-estrone effects on body fat reserves and insulin resistance are not mediated by leptin, since ob/ob mice lack this hormone and in the db/db it is present but cannot induce effects because of defective ..
- Anomalous temperature-dependence of the specific interaction of concanavalin A with a multivalent ligand-dextranA Waseem
Protein Research Laboratory, Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, A M University, Aligarh 202001, India
Biochim Biophys Acta 746:65-71. 1983..0. Analysis of the turbidity data according to the first-order kinetic law yielded the rate constant, k(obs). At pH 7.4 the curve between In k(obs) and 1/T was biphasic in the temperature range 8...
- Positional cloning of the mouse obese gene and its human homologueY Zhang
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021
Nature 372:425-32. 1994..The ob gene product may function as part of a signalling pathway from adipose tissue that acts to regulate the size of the body fat depot...
- Congenital leptin deficiency is associated with severe early-onset obesity in humansC T Montague
University of Cambridge, Department of Medicine, UK
Nature 387:903-8. 1997The extreme obesity of the obese (ob/ob) mouse is attributable to mutations in the gene encoding leptin, an adipocyte-specific secreted protein which has profound effects on appetite and energy expenditure...
- Leptin and the regulation of body weight in mammalsJ M Friedman
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Nature 395:763-70. 1998..A complex physiological system has evolved to regulate fuel stores and energy balance at an optimum level. Leptin, a hormone secreted by adipose tissue, and its receptor are integral components of this system...
- A leptin missense mutation associated with hypogonadism and morbid obesityA Strobel
Nat Genet 18:213-5. 1998
- Crystal structure of the obese protein leptin-E100F Zhang
Research Technologies and Proteins, Endocrine Research Divisions, Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, Indiana 46285
Nature 387:206-9. 1997..The demonstration that OB protein (also known as leptin) can normalize body weight in ob/ob mice has generated enormous interest...
- Association study of BMP4, IL6, Leptin, MMP3, and MTNR1B gene promoter polymorphisms and adolescent idiopathic scoliosisMónika Mórocz
Institute of Genetics, Biological Research Center, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Temesvari korut 62, H 6726, Szeged, Hungary
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 36:E123-30. 2011..a genetic association study was performed on 126 patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis and 197 healthy controls from independent Hungarian pedigrees...
- G-2548A polymorphism of the leptin gene is correlated with extreme obesity in Taiwanese aboriginesTsu Nai Wang
Faculty of Public Health, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Obesity (Silver Spring) 14:183-7. 2006We examined the genetic associations of the G-2548A polymorphism in the promoter of the leptin (LEP) gene and the Gln223Arg (Q223R) polymorphism of the leptin receptor (LEPR) gene with obesity...
- The role of falling leptin levels in the neuroendocrine and metabolic adaptation to short-term starvation in healthy menJean L Chan
Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Clin Invest 111:1409-21. 2003To elucidate the role of leptin in regulating neuroendocrine and metabolic function during an acute fast, six to eight healthy, lean men were studied under four separate conditions: a baseline fed state and three 72-hour fasting studies ..
- Leptin enhances the recruitment of endothelial progenitor cells into neointimal lesions after vascular injury by promoting integrin-mediated adhesionMarco R Schroeter
Department of Cardiology and Pulmonary Medicine, University of Goettingen, Robert Koch Strasse 40, D 37099 Goettingen, Germany
Circ Res 103:536-44. 2008The adipocytokine leptin modulates vascular remodeling and neointima formation. Because endothelial progenitor cells (EPCs) participate in vascular repair, we analyzed the effects of leptin on human EPC function in vitro and in vivo...
- Beneficial effects of leptin on obesity, T cell hyporesponsiveness, and neuroendocrine/metabolic dysfunction of human congenital leptin deficiencyI Sadaf Farooqi
University Department of Medicine, Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, United Kingdom
J Clin Invest 110:1093-103. 2002The wide range of phenotypic abnormalities seen in the leptin-deficient ob/ob mouse and their reversibility by leptin administration provide compelling evidence for the existence of multiple physiological functions of this hormone in ..
- Leptin regulates striatal regions and human eating behaviorI Sadaf Farooqi
University Department of Medicine and Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Addenbrooke s Hospital, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 2QQ, UK
Science 317:1355. 2007Studies of the fat-derived hormone leptin have provided key insights into the molecular and neural components of feeding behavior and body weight regulation...
- Evidence that the diabetes gene encodes the leptin receptor: identification of a mutation in the leptin receptor gene in db/db miceH Chen
Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Incorporated, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Cell 84:491-5. 1996OB-R is a high affinity receptor for leptin, an important circulating signal for the regulation of body weight. We identified an alternatively spliced transcript that encodes a form of mouse OB-R with a long intracellular domain...
- Influence of leptin, adiponectin, and resistin on the association between abdominal adiposity and arterial stiffnessB Gwen Windham
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Geriatric Medicine, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Am J Hypertens 23:501-7. 2010..adipocytes account for most adipokine production, the objectives of this study were to examine the influence of adipokines such as leptin, adiponectin, and resistin on the relationship between abdominal adiposity and arterial stiffness.
- Transcriptional activation of the human leptin gene in response to hypoxia. Involvement of hypoxia-inducible factor 1Grazia Ambrosini
Department of Molecular Biology, Institute for Diabetes Discovery, 25 Business Park Drive, Branford, CT 06405, USA
J Biol Chem 277:34601-9. 2002In addition to having a major role in energy homeostasis, leptin is emerging as a pleiotropic cytokine with multiple physiological effector functions...
- Do adiponectin, TNFalpha, leptin and CRP relate to insulin resistance in pregnancy? Studies in women with and without gestational diabetes, during and after pregnancyKylie A McLachlan
Department of Endocrinology, St Vincents Hospital, Victoria, Australia
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 22:131-8. 2006The role of adiponectin, tumour necrosis factor alpha (TNFalpha), leptin and C-reactive protein in the insulin resistance of pregnancy is not clear...
- Relationship between single nucleotide polymorphisms in leptin, IL6 and adiponectin genes and their circulating product in morbidly obese subjects before and after gastric banding surgeryChristine Poitou
INSERM Avenir EA 3502, Paris 6 University, Nutrition Department, AP HP, Hotel Dieu, Paris, France
Obes Surg 15:11-23. 2005..b>Leptin, IL6 and adiponectin can be considered as adiposity signals...
- Body fat mass and macronutrient intake in relation to circulating soluble leptin receptor, free leptin index, adiponectin, and resistin concentrations in healthy humansMary Yannakoulia
Department of Nutrition Dietetics, Harokopio University, 17671 Athens, Greece
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:1730-6. 2003The adipocyte-derived hormones leptin [which circulates in a free form and bound to a soluble leptin receptor (sOB-R)], adiponectin, and resistin play a key role in regulating energy homeostasis and metabolism...
- Relationships between serum soluble leptin receptor level and serum leptin and adiponectin levels, insulin resistance index, lipid profile, and leptin receptor gene polymorphisms in the Japanese populationTakeo Ogawa
Department of Internal Medicine, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Metabolism 53:879-85. 2004b>Leptin plays an important role in the regulation of body weight and is known to circulate in both free and bound forms. One of the leptin receptor isoforms exists in a circulating soluble form that can bind leptin...
- Effect of genetic variation in the leptin gene promoter and the leptin receptor gene on obesity risk in a population-based case-control study in SpainOlga Portoles
Genetic and Molecular Epidemiology Unit Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health School of Medicine, University of Valencia, Avda Blasco Ibanez 15, 46010 Valencia, Spain
Eur J Epidemiol 21:605-12. 2006..In animal models, the leptin (LEP) and the leptin receptor (LEPR) genes have been shown to be very important in obesity because leptin ..
- The -2548G/A LEP polymorphism is associated with blood pressure in Tunisian obese patientsS Ben Ali
Research Laboratory LAB SM 01, Biochemistry Department, Rabta Hospital, Tunis, Tunisia
Blood Press 17:278-83. 2008To examine the association of a common -2548G/A (rs7799039) promoter variant of the human leptin gene (LEP) with obesity or body mass index (BMI) and its associated phenotypes such as blood pressure variability and the prevalence of ..
- Polymorphisms in 5'-flanking regions of genes encoding adiponectin, leptin, and resistin are not associated with obesity of Polish children and adolescentsJakub Cieslak
Department of Genetics and Animal Breeding, Poznan University of Life Sciences, Wolynska 33, 60 637 Poznan, Poland
Mol Biol Rep 38:1793-8. 2011..In this study we screened for polymorphism 5'-flanking regions of the adiponectin (ADIPOQ), leptin (LEP) and resistin (RETN) genes in a cohort of Polish obese children and adolescents (n = 243) and a control group ..
- Regulation of circulating soluble leptin receptor levels by gender, adiposity, sex steroids, and leptin: observational and interventional studies in humansJean L Chan
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, 99 Brookline Avenue, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Diabetes 51:2105-12. 2002b>Leptin is an adipocyte-secreted hormone important in energy homeostasis and diverse physiological processes...
- Hypoxia-inducible factor 1 transactivates the human leptin gene promoterAlexandra Grosfeld
INSERM U 465, Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, 15 rue de l Ecole de Medecine, 75006 Paris, France
J Biol Chem 277:42953-7. 2002Increased placental leptin has been demonstrated in preeclampsia, a pregnancy disorder associated with placental hypoxia. This suggests that leptin gene expression is enhanced in response to oxygen deficiency in this organ...
- Leptin and adiponectin concentrations in intrauterine growth restricted and appropriate for gestational age fetuses, neonates, and their mothersMarialena Kyriakakou
Neonatal and Endocrine Unit, Second Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Athens University Medical School, 10682 Athens, Greece
Eur J Endocrinol 158:343-8. 2008b>Leptin and adiponectin are two adipocytokines that play a critical role in the control of energy balance and metabolism as well as in conditions, such as insulin resistance, inflammation, and the development of the metabolic syndrome in ..
- Leptin increases proliferation of human steosarcoma cells through activation of PI(3)-K and MAPK pathwaysBartolome Burguera
Division of Endocrinology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Med Sci Monit 12:BR341-9. 2006Serum leptin levels are strongly and directly related to fat body mass (FBM). Bone mineral density (BMD) increases with FBM, and obesity has a protective effect against osteoporosis...
- Leptin enhances, via AP-1, expression of aromatase in the MCF-7 cell lineStefania Catalano
Centro Sanitario and the Department of PharmacoBiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Calabria, 87030 Arcavacata di Rende, Italy
J Biol Chem 278:28668-76. 2003b>Leptin, a product of adipocytes, is involved in the regulation of body weight and results strongly correlated to body fat content...
- Leptin and its receptor are overexpressed in brain tumors and correlate with the degree of malignancyMirko Riolfi
Sbarro Institute for Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA 19122, USA
Brain Pathol 20:481-9. 2010Although leptin and its receptor (ObR) have emerged as important cancer biomarkers, the role of the leptin system in brain tumor development remains unknown...
- Leptin utilizes Jun N-terminal kinases to stimulate the invasion of MCF-7 breast cancer cellsVanity McMurtry
Department of Experimental Therapeutics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX, USA
Clin Exp Metastasis 26:197-204. 2009In breast tumors, high levels of leptin have been associated with increased incidence of breast cancer metastasis. Breast cancer metastasis is directly associated with breast cancer cell invasion...
- Leptin induces endothelin-1 in endothelial cells in vitroPeter Quehenberger
Department of Medical and Chemical Laboratory Diagnostics, University of Vienna, Austria
Circ Res 90:711-8. 2002b>Leptin, a protein encoded by the obese gene, is produced by adipocytes and released into the bloodstream. In obese humans, serum leptin levels are increased and correlate with the individual's body mass index and blood pressure...
- Association of serum and follicular fluid leptin concentrations with granulosa cell phosphorylated signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 expression in fertile patients with polycystic ovarian syndromeMei Gen Li
Department of Reproductive Endocrinology, Women s Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, 2 Xue Shi Road, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, 31006, China
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:4771-6. 2007..was to evaluate whether polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)-associated infertility is related to alterations of leptin, leptin receptor (Ob-R), and the phosphorylated signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (p-STAT3)/..
- Leptin receptor and functional effects of leptin in human endothelial progenitor cellsRobert Wolk
Mayo Foundation, St Mary s Hospital, DO 4 350, 1216 Second St SW, Rochester, MN 55902, USA
Atherosclerosis 183:131-9. 2005..We studied the role of an adipocyte-derived hormone, leptin, in the regulation of human EPC function. EPCs were grown from human circulating mononuclear cells...
- Effects of pro-inflammatory cytokines and chemokines on leptin production in human adipose tissue in vitroJens M Bruun
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism C, Aarhus Amtssygehus, Aarhus University Hospital and Faculty of Health Sciences, Aarhus University, Tage Hansensgade 2, Denmark
Mol Cell Endocrinol 190:91-9. 2002b>Leptin is synthesized in adipocytes and acts primarily through central pathways suppressing appetite and increasing the metabolic rate in rodents as well as in humans...
- Relation between first trimester maternal serum leptin levels and body mass index in normotensive and pre-eclamptic pregnancies--role of leptin as a marker of pre-eclampsia: a prospective case-control studySofoklis Samolis
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Tzaneio General Hospital, Pireaus, Greece
Gynecol Endocrinol 26:338-43. 2010We measured first trimester plasma leptin concentrations in 37 women who subsequently developed pre-eclampsia and 53 normotensive controls to determine the interrelation between leptin and body mass index (BMI) in both groups...
- Leptin and insulin down-regulate angiopoietin-like protein 3, a plasma triglyceride-increasing factorMitsuru Shimamura
Biomedical Research Laboratories, Sankyo Co, Ltd, 1 2 58 Hiromachi, Shinagawa ku, Tokyo 140 8710, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 322:1080-5. 2004..The current study examined the regulation of Angptl3 by leptin and insulin, both of which are key players in the metabolic syndrome...
- Leptin: a potential marker of placental insufficiencyJacques Lepercq
Service de Gynecologie Obstetrique, Hopital Cochin Saint Vincent de Paul, Paris, France
Gynecol Obstet Invest 55:151-5. 2003To investigate placental leptin production in placental insufficiency, placental leptin production was measured in women with severe preeclampsia (group 1) and in normotensive pregnancies associated with intrauterine growth restriction (..
- Polymorphisms in candidate obesity genes and their interaction with dietary intake of n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids affect obesity risk in a sub-sample of the EPIC-Heidelberg cohortAlexandra Nieters
German Cancer Research Center, Division of Clinical Epidemiology, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Eur J Nutr 41:210-21. 2002....
- Phenotypic effects of leptin replacement on morbid obesity, diabetes mellitus, hypogonadism, and behavior in leptin-deficient adultsJulio Licinio
Center for Pharmacogenomics, Neuropsychiatric Institute, Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1761, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:4531-6. 2004Genetic mutations in the leptin pathway can be a cause of human obesity. It is still unknown whether leptin can be effective in the treatment of fully established morbid obesity and its endocrine and metabolic consequences in adults...
- G(-2548)A leptin gene polymorphism in obese subjects is associated with serum leptin concentration and bone massEdward Franek
Department of Internal Diseases, Endocrinology and Diabetology, Central Clinical Hospital, Ministry for Internal Affairs, Warsaw, Poland
Pol Arch Med Wewn 120:175-80. 2010..Clinical studies have shown either positive or in some other cases negative correlations between leptinemia and bone mineral density (BMD) or bone mineral content (BMC)...
- Genetic variation and decreased risk for obesity in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities StudyM L Hart Sailors
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Nutrition Research Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Diabetes Obes Metab 9:548-57. 2007To investigate the effects of variation in the leptin [LEP (19A>G)] and melanocortin-4 receptor [MC4R (V103I)] genes on obesity-related traits in 13 405 African-American (AA) and white participants from the Atherosclerosis Risk in ..
- Molecular mechanisms of cellular proliferation in acute myelogenous leukemia by leptinJu Young Kim
Laboratory of Hematopoiesis and Hematologic Malignancy, Cancer Research Institute, Seoul National University, College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Oncol Rep 23:1369-74. 2010b>Leptin acts as a growth factor in normal cells as well as in various types of cancer cells. We investigated the effects of leptin on human acute myelogenous leukemia (AML) cells...
- DNA methylation differences after exposure to prenatal famine are common and timing- and sex-specificElmar W Tobi
Molecular Epidemiology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden 2300 RC, The Netherlands
Hum Mol Genet 18:4046-53. 2009..017). Our data indicate that persistent changes in DNA methylation may be a common consequence of prenatal famine exposure and that these changes depend on the sex of the exposed individual and the gestational timing of the exposure...
- Association of plasma leptin levels and complexity of the culprit lesion in patients with unstable anginaLaxman Dubey
Department of Cardiology, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College of Huazhong University of Science and Technology HUST, Wuhan 430030, Hubei, PR China
Int J Cardiol 126:183-9. 2008..By activating different immune/inflammatory cells or directly acting on the vessel wall leptin has been shown to play a potential role in the development of acute coronary syndrome...
- Circulating ghrelin, leptin, and soluble leptin receptor concentrations and cardiometabolic risk factors in a community-based sampleErik Ingelsson
The Framingham Study, Boston University School of Medicine, Framingham, Massachusetts 01702 5803, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:3149-57. 2008The conjoint effects and relative importance of ghrelin, leptin, and soluble leptin receptor (sOB-R), adipokines involved in appetite control and energy expenditure in mediating cardiometabolic risk, is unknown.
- The human obese (OB) gene: RNA expression pattern and mapping on the physical, cytogenetic, and genetic maps of chromosome 7E D Green
Diagnostic Development Branch, National Center for Human Genome Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Genome Res 5:5-12. 1995....
- A mutation in the human leptin receptor gene causes obesity and pituitary dysfunctionK Clement
Laboratoire de Nutrition et Service de Médecine et Nutrition, Hôtel Dieu place du Parvis Notre Dame, Paris, France
Nature 392:398-401. 1998The adipocyte-specific hormone leptin, the product of the obese (ob) gene, regulates adipose-tissue mass through hypothalamic effects on satiety and energy expenditure...
- Decreased circulating leptin level and its association with body and bone mass in girls with adolescent idiopathic scoliosisYong Qiu
Spine Surgery, Affiliated Drum Tower Hospital of Nanjing University Medical School, Nanjing, China
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:2703-10. 2007A prospective study was designed to investigate the circulating leptin level in girls with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS).
- Leptin gene expression in human preadipocytes is switched on by maturation-induced demethylation of distinct CpGs in its proximal promoterIngo Melzner
Department of Pathology, University of Ulm, Albert Einstein Allee 11, D 89081 Ulm, Germany
J Biol Chem 277:45420-7. 2002The peptide hormone leptin plays a major role in the regulation of energy intake and expenditure and is predominantly expressed in mature adipocytes but not in preadipocytes...
- Genetic variation in the leptin receptor gene, leptin, and weight gain in young Dutch adultsCaroline T M van Rossum
Department of Chronic Diseases Epidemiology, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Obes Res 11:377-86. 2003To investigate the association between leptin levels, polymorphisms in the leptin receptor (LEPR) gene, and weight gain.
- Leptin hormonal kinetics in the fed state: effects of adiposity, age, and gender on endogenous leptin production and clearance ratesShekman L Wong
Department of Pharmacokinetics and Drug Metabolism, Amgen Inc, Thousand Oaks, California 91320, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:2672-7. 2004b>Leptin is an adipocyte-secreted hormone that regulates energy homeostasis and neuroendocrine function...
- Body mass index, leptin and leptin receptor polymorphisms, and non-hodgkin lymphomaChristine F Skibola
Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, 140 Earl Warren Hall, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 7360, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 13:779-86. 2004..Obesity-related genetic factors including common polymorphisms in the leptin gene (LEP A19G and G-2548A) and its receptor (LEPR Q223R) were investigated in DNA available for 376 patients and ..
- Leptin predicts the development of diabetes in Mauritian men, but not women: a population-based studyS Soderberg
International Diabetes Institute, Melbourne, Australia
Int J Obes (Lond) 31:1126-33. 2007To determine if levels of the adipocyte-derived hormone, leptin, predict the development of type 2 diabetes.
- Leptin induces, via ERK1/ERK2 signal, functional activation of estrogen receptor alpha in MCF-7 cellsStefania Catalano
Centro Sanitario, University of Calabria, Arcavacata di Rende, Cosenza 87030, Italy
J Biol Chem 279:19908-15. 2004b>Leptin is a hormone with multiple biological actions, produced predominantly by adipose tissue. In humans, plasma levels correlate with total body fat, and high concentrations occur in obese women...
- Expression of leptin and its functional receptor on disc cells: contribution to cell proliferationChang Qing Zhao
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Xinhua Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:E858-64. 2008..Human herniated disc tissues and rat nucleus pulposus (NP) cells were used following approval by the authors' institutional Human Ethics Review Committee and Animal Care and Use Committee...
- Serum leptin levels correlate with interleukin-6 levels and disease activity in patients with ankylosing spondylitisM C Park
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Institute for Immunology and Immunological Diseases, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Scand J Rheumatol 36:101-6. 2007To determine whether serum leptin levels are elevated in men with ankylosing spondylitis (AS) and whether the levels correlate with serum cytokine profiles and disease activity of AS.
- Differential expression of leptin and leptin's receptor isoform (Ob-Rb) mRNA between advanced and minimally affected osteoarthritic cartilage; effect on cartilage metabolismT Simopoulou
Department of Biology, University of Thessalia, Medical School, Larissa, Greece
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 15:872-83. 2007To investigate leptin's effect on cartilage metabolism and the pathophysiology of osteoarthritis (OA).
- Enhanced expression of leptin and leptin receptor (OB-R) in human breast cancerMakoto Ishikawa
Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 10:4325-31. 2004To evaluate leptin and leptin receptor (OB-R) expression in human breast cancer and determine whether it could be effective for the prevention and treatment of breast cancer.
- Expression of the obesity hormone leptin and its receptor correlates with hypoxia-inducible factor-1 alpha in human colorectal cancerM Koda
Department of Pathomorphology, Medical University of Bialystok, Bialystok, Poland
Ann Oncol 18:vi116-9. 2007The obesity hormone, leptin, has been found to play a role in development and proliferation of normal and malignant tissues...
- Contribution of leptin receptor N-linked glycans to leptin bindingYuichi Kamikubo
Roon Research Center for Arteriosclerosis and Thrombosis, Division of Blood Cell and Vascular Biology, Department of Molecular and Experimental Medicine, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Biochem J 410:595-604. 2008The extracellular domain of the human leptin receptor (Ob-R) contains 20 potential N-glycosylation sites whose role in leptin binding remains to be elucidated...
- Microsatellite polymorphism of the human leptin gene (LEP) and risk of cardiovascular diseaseE Porreca
Department of Medicine and Aging, and Aging Research Center, CeSI, GD Annunzio University Foundation, Chieti Pescara, Italy
Int J Obes (Lond) 30:209-13. 2006..No data have been so far reported on the relationship between polymorphisms of LEP gene and cardiovascular disease...
- Influence of nutritional recovery on the leptin axis in severely malnourished childrenKatja Stein
Institute of Nutrition, Friedrich Schiller University, Dornburger Strasse 24, D 07743 Jena, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:1021-6. 2006b>Leptin might be more important as a starvation hormone than as a satiety signal. The role of the soluble leptin receptor (sOB-R) and its regulation in children with protein energy malnutrition (PEM) is poorly understood.
- Luminal leptin induces rapid inhibition of active intestinal absorption of glucose mediated by sodium-glucose cotransporter 1Robert Ducroc
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité 410, IFR02 Claude Bernard, Faculte de Medecine Xavier Bichat, Paris, France
Diabetes 54:348-54. 2005The effect of leptin on glucose transport was studied in rat jejunal mucosa in Ussing chambers. Leptin was added in the luminal or the serosal compartment before the tissues were challenged with 1, 10, or 50 mmol/l glucose...
- LEP 3'HVR is associated with obesity and leptin levels in Brazilian individualsHamilton M Hinuy
Department of Clinical and Toxicological Analysis, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Sao Paulo University, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Mol Genet Metab 89:374-80. 2006b>Leptin plays an important role in satiety signaling and is related to obesity. Variants of leptin gene (LEP) have been associated to differences in plasma leptin levels and obesity-related phenotypes...
- Leptin suppresses stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 by mechanisms independent of insulin and sterol regulatory element-binding protein-1cSudha B Biddinger
Research Division, Joslin Diabetes Center, One Joslin Pl, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Diabetes 55:2032-41. 2006..SCD1 is suppressed by leptin but induced by insulin. We have used animal models to dissect the effects of these hormones on SCD1...
- Serum leptin levels correlate with obesity parameters but not with hyperinsulinism in women with polycystic ovary syndromeErdinc Erturk
Department of Endocrinology, Uludag University Hospital, Bursa, Turkey
Fertil Steril 82:1364-8. 2004To examine serum leptin concentrations in obese and lean patients with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) to assess whether the changes in leptin levels are due to obesity or hormonal alterations.
- Mechanism of leptin expression in breast cancer cells: role of hypoxia-inducible factor-1alphaS Cascio
Sbarro Institute for Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA 19122, USA
Oncogene 27:540-7. 2008We reported previously that the obesity hormone leptin is overexpressed in breast cancer biopsies...
- Plasma leptin levels are associated with coronary atherosclerosis in type 2 diabetesMuredach P Reilly
Cardiovascular Division, Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:3872-8. 2004b>Leptin signaling may promote atherothrombosis and lead to cardiovascular disease. However, whether leptin is associated with human atherosclerosis, distinct from thrombosis, is unknown...
- Leptin and coronary heart disease risk: prospective case control study of British womenDebbie A Lawlor
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Canynge Hall, Whiteladies Road, Bristol BS8 2PR, UK
Obesity (Silver Spring) 15:1694-701. 2007Prospective studies have shown a positive association between leptin concentrations and coronary heart disease (CHD) in men, but its effect in women is unclear...
- Serum leptin, adiponectin, and resistin concentration in colorectal adenoma and carcinoma (CC) patientsAnna Kumor
Department of Laboratory Diagnostics, Medical University, Lodz, Poland
Int J Colorectal Dis 24:275-81. 2009b>Leptin, adiponectin, and resistin are the proteins secreted by adipocytes, which affects the metabolism. While the role of leptin in colon carcinogenesis is documented, the effect of adiponectin and resistin remains unclear...
- Association of G-2548A LEP polymorphism with plasma leptin levels in Tunisian obese patientsSamir Ben Ali
Biochemistry Department, Research Laboratory LR99ES11, Rabta Hospital, Tunis, Tunisia
Clin Biochem 42:584-8. 2009The aim of this study was to examine the association of the G-2548A polymorphism of the human leptin gene (LEP) with body mass index (BMI), plasma leptin, insulin, and lipid parameters in a sample of Tunisian population.
- Human leptin locus (LEP) alleles and BMI in SamoansS T McGarvey
International Health Institute, Brown Medical School, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 26:783-8. 2002....
- IGF-1 and leptin associate with fetal HDL cholesterol at birth: examination in offspring of mothers with type 1 diabetesScott M Nelson
Department of Reproductive and Maternal Medicine, Division of Developmental Medicine, University of Glasgow, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, 10 Alexandra Parade, Glasgow, G31 ER, UK
Diabetes 56:2705-9. 2007..We examined the influence of maternal diabetes on cord lipids at birth and relationship to body composition, cord insulin, leptin, and other hormonal measures.
- Leptin regulation of the interleukin-1 system in human endometrial cellsRuben Rene Gonzalez
Boston Biomedical Research Institute, 64 Grove Street, Watertown, MA 02472, USA
Mol Hum Reprod 9:151-8. 2003We have previously shown that (i). leptin and leptin receptor (Ob-R) are expressed in the human endometrium, and (ii). leptin secretion is regulated in blastocyst and endometrial epithelial cell (EEC) co-cultures...
- A common promoter variant of the leptin gene is associated with changes in the relationship between serum leptin and fat mass in obese girlsC Le Stunff
Unité 342 of the Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale and the Pediatric Endocrinology Department, Rene Descartes University, Paris, France
Diabetes 49:2196-200. 2000Mutations in the leptin gene lead to rare obese syndromes of Mendelian inheritance in humans and rodents. However, no relevant mutations are found in the coding region of leptin gene DNA in patients with common multifactorial obesity...
- A polymorphism in the leptin promoter region (-2548 G/A) influences gene expression and adipose tissue secretion of leptinJ Hoffstedt
Department of Medicine at Huddinge University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Horm Metab Res 34:355-9. 2002There is a large inter-individual variation in circulating leptin concentrations at each level of body fat content. The reason for this is unknown...
- Weight loss increases soluble leptin receptor levels and the soluble receptor bound fraction of leptinMarkus Laimer
Department of Medicine, University of Innsbruck, Austria
Obes Res 10:597-601. 2002Soluble leptin receptor (sOB-R) represents the main binding site for leptin in human blood...
- Genetic diversity and evolution of the human leptin locus tetranucleotide repeatSusan Moffett
Department of Human Genetics, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Hum Genet 110:412-7. 2002..understand the evolutionary history of the gene region containing the multifunctional adipose tissue hormone leptin, we genotyped 1,957 individuals from 12 world populations for a highly variable tetranucleotide repeat ..
- Leptin, insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF binding protein-3 levels in children with constitutional delay of growthA Bideci
Department of Pediatric Endocrinology, Gazi University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 15:41-6. 2002..in order to investigate the role of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I), IGF binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3) and leptin, the product of the ob gene synthesized by fat tissue cells, in constitutional delay of growth and puberty (CDGP) ..
- Leptin mediates a proliferative response in human MCF7 breast cancer cellsMarie Noelle Dieudonne
Service de Biochimie et Biologie Moléculaire, Faculté de médecine Paris Ouest, Centre Hospitalier de Poissy, Université Descartes Paris V, 78303 Poissy Cedex, France
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 293:622-8. 2002Obesity is a risk factor of breast cancers. As leptin, a hormone mainly secreted by white adipocytes, elicits proliferative effects in some cell types, we tested the hypothesis that leptin could influence human breast cancer MCF-7 cell ..
- Leptin gene polymorphism is associated with hypertension independent of obesityMaki Shintani
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:2909-12. 2002b>Leptin is an adipocyte-derived hormone that regulates food intake and energy expenditure. Recent functional studies have suggested a direct effect of leptin on blood pressure...
- Systemic inflammation, adipose tissue tumor necrosis factor, and leptin expressionMonica Bullo
Unitat de Nutricio Humana, Facultat de Medicina i Ciencies de la Salut de Reus, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Reus, Spain
Obes Res 11:525-31. 2003To explore the links between tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNFalpha) and leptin adipose tissue expression and low-grade systemic inflammation and to determine the relationship between inflammation and the degree of adiposity, the presence ..
- Functional analysis of the -2548G/A leptin gene polymorphism in breast cancer cellsMarianna Terrasi
Sbarro Institute for Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA 19122, USA
Int J Cancer 125:1038-44. 2009b>Leptin is overexpressed in human breast tumors and is produced by breast cancer cells in response to obesity-related stimuli...
- Human obese gene expression. Adipocyte-specific expression and regional differences in the adipose tissueH Masuzaki
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
Diabetes 44:855-8. 1995..This study is the first report of the elucidation of ob gene expression in human tissues, thereby leading to better understanding of the physiological and clinical implications of the ob gene...
- The ambiguous role of the Na+-H+ exchanger isoform 1 (NHE1) in leptin-induced oxidative stress in human monocytesDiamantis Konstantinidis
Laboratory of Animal Physiology, School of Biology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki 54124, Greece
Cell Stress Chaperones 14:591-601. 2009b>Leptin, a 16-kDa cytokine produced mainly by the adipose tissue, is known to increase energy expenditure while at the same time lowering food intake by acting directly on the hypothalamus...
- Diurnal and ultradian dynamics of serum adiponectin in healthy men: comparison with leptin, circulating soluble leptin receptor, and cortisol patternsAlina Gavrila
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:2838-43. 2003..rhythms in healthy normal-weight men and to compare the 24-h profile of adiponectin fluctuations with those of leptin, leptin-binding protein (sOB-R), and cortisol...
- [Leptin to adiponectin ratio, as an index of insulin resistance and atherosclerosis development]Małgorzata Kieć-Klimczak
Zakład Biochemii Kliniicznej, Collegium Medicum UJ Kraków
Przegl Lek 65:844-9. 2008..The adipose tissue is a place where many adipokines, mainly leptin and adiponectin, are produced and released...
- Genetic relationships of body composition, serum leptin, and age at puberty in giltsL A Kuehn
USDA, ARS, US Meat Animal Research Center, Clay Center, NE 68933, USA
J Anim Sci 87:477-83. 2009b>Leptin produced by adipocytes acts through leptin receptors in the hypothalamus to control appetite and food intake and thus communicates information about degree of fatness...
- [Leptin promotes neointimal formation by stimulating vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation through leptin receptor]Yue chun Shen
Department of Cardiology, First Affiliated Hospital, Guangzhou Medical College, Guangzhou 510120, China
Zhonghua Xin Xue Guan Bing Za Zhi 37:634-8. 2009To evaluate the role of leptin in neointimal formation and related mechanisms.
- Effects of leptin on melanin-concentrating hormone expression in the brain of lean and obese Lep(ob)/Lep(ob) miceQ Huang
Centre de recherche sur le métabolisme énergétique CREME et Département d anatomie et de physiologie, Faculte de Medecine, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
Neuroendocrinology 69:145-53. 1999The effect of leptin on the expression of melanin-concentrating hormone (MCH) was investigated in lean and genetically obese Lepob/Lepob mice. Murine leptin was subcutaneously infused using osmotic minipumps...
- [Plasma leptin levels in relation to body composition and body fat distribution in patients with Cushing's syndrome]Maciej Robaczyk
Klinika Endokrynologii, Nadciśnienia Tetniczego i Chorób Przemiany Materii Pomorskiej AM w Szczecinie
Pol Arch Med Wewn 110:1299-308. 2003It is known that body composition, especially body fat content, determines plasma leptin (LEP) levels...
- Plasma leptin, ghrelin and adiponectin concentrations in young fit racehorses versus mature unfit standardbredsMary E Gordon
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Equine Science Center, Department of Animal Sciences, 84 Lipman Drive, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
Vet J 173:91-100. 2007..plasma concentrations of glucose (GLU), insulin (INS), cortisol (CORT), ghrelin (GHRL), adiponectin (ADIP) and leptin (LEP) would be correlated with body composition and differ in fit (F) versus unfit (UF) horses...
- Acute nonspecific abdominal pain: A randomized, controlled trial comparing early laparoscopy versus clinical observationMario Morino
Chirurgia Generale II e Centro di Chirurgia Mini Invasiva Department of Surgery, University of Turin, Turin, Italy
Ann Surg 244:881-6; discussion 886-8. 2006..To evaluate, in a prospective, randomized, single-institution trial, the role of early laparoscopy in the management of nonspecific abdominal pain (NSAP) in young women...
- [Serum levels of leptin and several growth-related hormones in premature infants]Xiao yi Fang
Department of Pediatrics, The First Affiliated Hospital of Shantou University Medical College, Shantou 515041, China
Zhonghua Er Ke Za Zhi 47:134-9. 2009b>Leptin (LEP) is mainly produced by white adipose tissue and participates in the energy metabolism and regulation of growth...
- Interactions of avian myeloblastosis virus nucleocapsid protein with nucleic acidsC A Gelfand
Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4935
J Biol Chem 268:18450-6. 1993..Using salt back-titrations, the intrinsic equilibrium association constant per nucleic acid site, K(obs), was determined for NC binding to single- and double-stranded RNAs and DNAs. In 0.125 M NaCl, 40 mM HEPES at pH 7...
- Differential regulation of dehydroepiandrosterone and estrogen on bone and uterus in ovariectomized miceL Wang
Laboratory for Reproductive Immunology, Hospital and Institute of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Fudan University Shanghai Medical College, 413 Zhaozhou Road, Shanghai, 200011, China
Osteoporos Int 20:79-92. 2009....
- Reaction of the Co(II)-substrate radical pair catalytic intermediate in coenzyme B12-dependent ethanolamine ammonia-lyase in frozen aqueous solution from 190 to 217 KChen Zhu
Department of Physics, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Biophys J 95:5890-900. 2008..The observed first-order rate constants for the monoexponential (k(obs,m)) and the fast phase of the biexponential decay (k(obs,f)) adhere to the same linear relation on an lnk versus T(-..
- Weight-cycling decreases incidence and increases latency of mammary tumors to a greater extent than does chronic caloric restriction in mouse mammary tumor virus-transforming growth factor-alpha female miceMargot P Cleary
The Hormel Institute, University of Minnesota, Austin, Minnesota 55912, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 11:836-43. 2002..Future studies should address the application of this intervention to additional transgenic mice as well as other MT models...
- Congenital esophageal stenosis associated with esophageal atresia: new conceptsAshraf H M Ibrahim
Armed Forces Hospital, Southern Region, King Faisal Military City, P O Box 5062, Khamis Mushait, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Pediatr Surg Int 23:533-7. 2007..CES should be considered in the etiology of anastomotic stricture. Taking a surgical specimen routinely from the tip of the LEP during primary esophageal repair for histologic studies is highly recommended...
- Contributions of the histidine side chain and the N-terminal alpha-amino group to the binding thermodynamics of oligopeptides to nucleic acids as a function of pHJeff D Ballin
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Biochemistry 49:2018-30. 2010..For both HWKK and KWKK, equilibrium binding constants, K(obs), and magnitudes of log-log salt derivatives, SK(obs) identical with (partial differential logK(obs)/partial ..
- Insulin Resistance in Tissue Specific IKKB TransgenicsJongsoon Lee; Fiscal Year: 2004..These experiments will validate IKKbeta as a major mediator of insulin resistance and as a useful target for the discovery of new drugs to treat type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance. ..
- Inhibition of osteoblast function in bone erosion in rheumatoid arthritisEllen M Gravallese; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, data from our laboratory demonstrate a defect in the maturation of bone-forming osteoblasts (OBs) at sites of articular bone loss (erosions), with an accompanying inhibition in the formation of mineralized bone ..
- Mechanobiology of 3D Trabecular Bone ExplantsX Guo; Fiscal Year: 2009..a central scientific hypothesis that that dynamic deformational loading induces OCYs to send anabolic signals to OBs to promote bone formation through intraceluar calcium [Ca2+]i oscillations in osteocytic network, followed by ..
- Mechanobiology of 3D Trabecular Bone ExplantsX Edward Guo; Fiscal Year: 2010..a central scientific hypothesis that that dynamic deformational loading induces OCYs to send anabolic signals to OBs to promote bone formation through intraceluar calcium [Ca2+]i oscillations in osteocytic network, followed by ..
- GENE THERAPY, OBESITY AND HYPOTHALAMIC SIGNALINGSatya Kalra; Fiscal Year: 2005..of this proposal is (1) to examine whether viral vector mediated delivery of weight-reducing signals, such as leptin, is a viable therapy (gene therapy), alternative to the pharmacologic approach, to control body weight (BW) gain ..
- OVARIECTOMY UPREGULATES BONE TURNOVER THROUGH T CELL-STROMAL CROSSTALKRoberto Pacifici; Fiscal Year: 2010..to support OC formation, increase SC production of osteoclastogenic cytokines, and promote SC differentiation into OBs through stimulation of CD40 signaling in SCs by T cell expressed CD40L...
- Na Channels in Afferents after Bladder ObstructionWilliam Steers; Fiscal Year: 2006..Obstructed (OBS) rats exhibit urinary frequency and detrusor overactivity temporally correlated to the development of afferent ..
- C-reactive protein promotes myeloma cell-mediated bone destructionQing Yi; Fiscal Year: 2010..project, we will focus on the ability of CRP to promote the generation of OCs and inhibit the generation of OBs in vitro;our studies will uncover a new mechanism by which bone destruction is caused by myeloma cells, and provide ..
- Protective Effects of Stearic Acid on Gestational and Acquired Diabetes MellitusEric Smart; Fiscal Year: 2009..This aim is critical because each double crossed mouse line will provide the definitive mechanistic data regarding the role of each protein in mediating the beneficial effects of stearic acid. ..
- Protective Effects of Stearic Acid on Gestational and Acquired Diabetes MellitusEric Smart; Fiscal Year: 2007..This aim is critical because each double crossed mouse line will provide the definitive mechanistic data regarding the role of each protein in mediating the beneficial effects of stearic acid. ..
- Predictors of Adult LeukemiaJulie Ross; Fiscal Year: 2009..to metabolize NSAIDs, detoxify environmental toxins (including pesiticides, cigarette smoke) and metabolize leptin contributes to risk...
- Mechanisms of Innate and Acquired Host Defense and Tissue Injury in SkinDelphine J Lee; Fiscal Year: 2010..The investigation of these aspects of host defense mechanisms will yield new insights into the human immune system as well as provide novel targets for therapeutic intervention against a variety of infectious and skin diseases. ..
- MECHANISMS OF POLARIZED SECRETION BY BONE CELLSSteven L Teitelbaum; Fiscal Year: 2010Maintenance of bone mass requires the integrated activity of osteoclasts (OCs) and osteoblasts (OBs)...
- Cloning of a type 2 diabetes modifier in obese miceRudolph Leibel; Fiscal Year: 2006..Such a gene could be used for anticipatory diagnosis and prevention, and the design of therapeutic agents. ..
- MECHANISMS OF POLARIZED SECRETION BY BONE CELLSSteven Teitelbaum; Fiscal Year: 2009Maintenance of bone mass requires the integrated activity of osteoclasts (OCs) and osteoblasts (OBs)...
- GENETIC ANALYSIS OF MONOCYTE KILLING BY BACTERIAHoward Shuman; Fiscal Year: 2007..v) Determine if the coiled:coil regions of the Lep proteins are required for translocation by the Icm/Dot system and/or for their function in host cells. ..
- Role of aTGF-beta Regulated Gene in human and mouse osteoblasts and skeletonThomas Spelsberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..During this laboratory's investigations of estrogen (E2) and TGFb actions on OBs, we discovered and characterized the novel TGFb Iducible Early Gene-1 (TIEG) as a member of the Kruppel family of ..
- Role of a TGF-B Regulated Gene in Human and Mouse Osteoblasts and SkeletonThomas C Spelsberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..During this laboratory's investigations of E2 and TGFb actions in OBs, we discovered and characterized the novel TGFb Inducible Early Gene-1 (TIEG) as a member of the Kruppel family of ..
- Computer Support for Pharmacy-Based Smoking CessationFREDERICK BOCK; Fiscal Year: 2007..from smokers to assess the extent of pharmacist counseling for smoking with no intervention (observation only: OBS). Pharmacists will then be trained in providing smoking cessation counseling...
- Modeling Human Exposure-Dose Relationships:1,3-ButadieneThomas Smith; Fiscal Year: 2005..system and tracer methods; (2) To collect real-time measurements of breath-by-breath alveolar concentrations (-700 obs.) and optimize a physiologically-based pharmacokinetic (PBPK) model for estimating of metabolism rates; (3) To ..
- Older Latina Women, Martial Status, and Cancer ScreeningMelanie Wasserman; Fiscal Year: 2007..The focus for this study is on Latina women, because their use of preventive health services is particularly low. ..