Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: LAMA5
Description: laminin subunit alpha 5
Alias: laminin subunit alpha-5, laminin alpha-5 chain, laminin-10 subunit alpha, laminin-11 subunit alpha, laminin-15 subunit alpha
- Kikkawa Y, Sanzen N, Fujiwara H, Sonnenberg A, Sekiguchi K. Integrin binding specificity of laminin-10/11: laminin-10/11 are recognized by alpha 3 beta 1, alpha 6 beta 1 and alpha 6 beta 4 integrins. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 5):869-76 pubmed..These results indicated that laminin-10/11 are potent and versatile adhesive ligands in basement membranes capable of binding to both alpha 3 beta 1 and alpha 6 beta 1 integrins with high avidity and also to alpha 6 beta 4 integrin. ..
- Gauthier E, Rahuel C, Wautier M, El Nemer W, Gane P, Wautier J, et al. Protein kinase A-dependent phosphorylation of Lutheran/basal cell adhesion molecule glycoprotein regulates cell adhesion to laminin alpha5. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:30055-62 pubmed..It is postulated that modulation of the phosphorylation state of Lu gp might be a critical factor for the sickle red cells adhesiveness to laminin alpha5 in sickle cell disease...
- Alpy F, Ritie L, Jaubert F, Becmeur F, Mechine Neuville A, Lefebvre O, et al. The expression pattern of laminin isoforms in Hirschsprung disease reveals a distal peripheral nerve differentiation. Hum Pathol. 2005;36:1055-65 pubmed..Overall, these basement membrane molecules could provide useful markers for diagnosis of aganglionosis or hypoganglionosis. ..
- Kikkawa Y, Sudo R, Kon J, Mizuguchi T, Nomizu M, Hirata K, et al. Laminin alpha 5 mediates ectopic adhesion of hepatocellular carcinoma through integrins and/or Lutheran/basal cell adhesion molecule. Exp Cell Res. 2008;314:2579-90 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that laminins containing alpha 5 serve as functional substrates regulating progression of HCC. ..
- Shimizu H, Hosokawa H, Ninomiya H, Miner J, Masaki T. Adhesion of cultured bovine aortic endothelial cells to laminin-1 mediated by dystroglycan. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:11995-2000 pubmed..These results indicate a role of DG as a non-integrin laminin receptor involved in vascular endothelial cell adhesion to the extracellular matrix. ..
- Tiger C, Champliaud M, Pedrosa Domellof F, Thornell L, Ekblom P, Gullberg D. Presence of laminin alpha5 chain and lack of laminin alpha1 chain during human muscle development and in muscular dystrophies. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:28590-5 pubmed..Our data are also consistent with earlier work in mouse, indicating that laminin alpha1 is largely an epithelial laminin chain not present in developing or dystrophic muscle fibers. ..
- Utani A, Nomizu M, Yamada Y. Fibulin-2 binds to the short arms of laminin-5 and laminin-1 via conserved amino acid sequences. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:2814-20 pubmed..Together these results suggest that fibulin-2 functions to bridge laminin-1 and laminin-5 with other extracellular matrix proteins, providing a linkage between the cell surface and the basement membrane. ..
- Miosge N, Kluge J, Studzinski A, Zelent C, Bode C, Sprysch P, et al. In situ-RT-PCR and immunohistochemistry for the localisation of the mRNA of the alpha 3 chain of laminin and laminin-5 during human organogenesis. Anat Embryol (Berl). 2002;205:355-63 pubmed..Due to this discrepancy, we postulate a broader role for laminin-5 during human embryogenesis, for example, for epithelial cell development, beyond its involvement in hemidesmosome formation and cell adhesion. ..
- Rogers R, Nishimune H. The role of laminins in the organization and function of neuromuscular junctions. Matrix Biol. 2017;57-58:86-105 pubmed publisher..Interventions to maintain proper level of laminins and their receptor interactions may be insightful in treating neuromuscular diseases and aging related degeneration of NMJs. ..
- Hauer N, Popp B, Taher L, Vogl C, Dhandapany P, Büttner C, et al. Evolutionary conserved networks of human height identify multiple Mendelian causes of short stature. Eur J Hum Genet. 2019;: pubmed publisher..variants in at least two families were detected for all 13 candidates, two genes had variants in 6 (UBR4) and 8 (LAMA5) families, respectively...
- Gautam J, Miner J, Yao Y. Loss of Endothelial Laminin α5 Exacerbates Hemorrhagic Brain Injury. Transl Stroke Res. 2019;: pubmed publisher..laminin-411 is well studied, the role of laminin-511 remains largely unknown due to the embryonic lethality of lama5-/- mutants...
- Daga S, Fallerini C, Furini S, Pecoraro C, Scolari F, Ariani F, et al. Non-collagen genes role in digenic Alport syndrome. BMC Nephrol. 2019;20:70 pubmed publisher..We identified in the three probands hypomorphic LAMA5 mutations co-inherited with pathogenic COL4 α4-α5 chains mutations...
- Gopal S, Greening D, Zhu H, Simpson R, Mathias R. Transformed MDCK cells secrete elevated MMP1 that generates LAMA5 fragments promoting endothelial cell angiogenesis. Sci Rep. 2016;6:28321 pubmed publisher..By contrast, 21D1(-MMP1) secretome was less potent in both functional assays. We reveal laminin subunit alpha-5 (LAMA5) as a novel biological substrate of MMP1, that generates internal and C-terminal proteolytic fragments in 21D1 ..
- Chen Y, Statt S, Wu R, Chang H, Liao J, Wang C, et al. High mobility group box 1-induced epithelial mesenchymal transition in human airway epithelial cells. Sci Rep. 2016;6:18815 pubmed publisher..and SERPINE1, while the downregulated genes included OCLN, TJP1 (ZO-1), FZD7, CDH1 (E-cadherin), and LAMA5. We found that HMGB1 induced downregulation of E-cadherin and ZO-1, and upregulation of vimentin mRNA ..
- Lorenzoni P, Scola R, Kay C, Werneck L, Horvath R, Lochmuller H. How to Spot Congenital Myasthenic Syndromes Resembling the Lambert-Eaton Myasthenic Syndrome? A Brief Review of Clinical, Electrophysiological, and Genetics Features. Neuromolecular Med. 2018;20:205-214 pubmed publisher..To date, the genes that have been associated with CMS-LEMS are AGRN, SYT2, MUNC13-1, VAMP1, and LAMA5. Clinicians should keep in mind these newest subtypes of CMS-LEMS to achieve the correct diagnosis and therapy...
- Schneider H, Mühle C, Pacho F. Biological function of laminin-5 and pathogenic impact of its deficiency. Eur J Cell Biol. 2007;86:701-17 pubmed..Here, we discuss current understanding of the biological functions of laminin-5, the pathogenic impact of its deficiency and implications on molecular approaches towards a therapy of junctional epidermolysis bullosa. ..
- Senyürek I, Klein G, Kalbacher H, Deeg M, Schittek B. Peptides derived from the human laminin alpha4 and alpha5 chains exhibit antimicrobial activity. Peptides. 2010;31:1468-72 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that extracellular matrix components are able to protect the respective tissues from invading pathogens and are part of the host defense response. ..
- Shen Y, Feng Y, Chen H, Huang L, Wang F, Bai J, et al. Focusing on long non-coding RNA dysregulation in newly diagnosed multiple myeloma. Life Sci. 2018;196:133-142 pubmed publisher..Four dysregulated lncRNAs were confirmed by qRT-PCR. Among them, the expression of ST3GAL6-AS1, LAMA5-AS1and RP11-175D17.3wereassociated with stage and risk status of MM...
- Mal tseva D, Makarova Y, Raigorodskaya M, Rodin S. Effects of Laminins 332 and 411 on the Epithelial-Mesenchymal Status of Colorectal Cancer Cells. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2019;166:377-382 pubmed publisher..In addition, culturing on LM-332 led to a decrease in the expression of laminin α5 chain (LAMA5), while culturing on LM-411 led to an increase in the expression of a cell-cell junction component (DSP)...
- Shan N, Wahler J, Lee H, Bak M, Gupta S, Maehr H, et al. Vitamin D compounds inhibit cancer stem-like cells and induce differentiation in triple negative breast cancer. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2017;173:122-129 pubmed publisher..As a result, OCT4, CD44 and LAMA5 levels were decreased...
- De Luca M, Crocco P, Wiener H, Tiwari H, Passarino G, Rose G. Association of a common LAMA5 variant with anthropometric and metabolic traits in an Italian cohort of healthy elderly subjects. Exp Gerontol. 2011;46:60-4 pubmed publisher..Previous work reported that a genetic variant located within the intron 1 of LAMA5 (rs659822) was associated with anthropometric traits and HDL-cholesterol levels in a cohort of premenopausal women...
- Moore M, Pandolfi V, McFetridge P. Novel human-derived extracellular matrix induces in vitro and in vivo vascularization and inhibits fibrosis. Biomaterials. 2015;49:37-46 pubmed publisher..cells seeded onto the matrix displayed upregulation of angiogenic genes (TGFB1, VEGFA), remodeling genes (MMP9, LAMA5) and vascular development genes (HAND2, LECT1)...
- Nascimento M, Sorokin L, Coelho Sampaio T. Fractone Bulbs Derive from Ependymal Cells and Their Laminin Composition Influence the Stem Cell Niche in the Subventricular Zone. J Neurosci. 2018;38:3880-3889 pubmed publisher..The use of transgenic mice lacking laminin Î±5 gene expression (Lama5) in endothelium and in FoxJ1-expressing ependymal cells revealed ependymal cells as the source of laminin Î±..
- Lin C, Werner R, Ma L, Miner J. Requirement for basement membrane laminin α5 during urethral and external genital development. Mech Dev. 2016;141:62-69 pubmed publisher..Herein we test the hypothesis that the basement membrane protein laminin α5 (LAMA5) plays a key role in the development of the mouse genital tubercle, the embryonic anlage of the external genitalia...
- Engel A. Congenital Myasthenic Syndromes in 2018. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2018;18:46 pubmed publisher..DPAGT1, ALG2, ALG14, Agrin, GMPPB, LRP4, myosin 9A, collagen 13A1, the mitochondrial citrate carrier, PREPL, LAMA5, the vesicular ACh transporter, and the high-affinity presynaptic choline transporter...
- Coraux C, Meneguzzi G, Rousselle P, Puchelle E, Gaillard D. Distribution of laminin 5, integrin receptors, and branching morphogenesis during human fetal lung development. Dev Dyn. 2002;225:176-85 pubmed..We also propose that LN5 may regulate the differentiation of the tracheal epithelium by means of Int-beta4, which governs HD nucleation. ..
- Gagnoux Palacios L, Allegra M, Spirito F, Pommeret O, Romero C, Ortonne J, et al. The short arm of the laminin gamma2 chain plays a pivotal role in the incorporation of laminin 5 into the extracellular matrix and in cell adhesion. J Cell Biol. 2001;153:835-50 pubmed
- Sampaolo S, Napolitano F, Tirozzi A, Reccia M, Lombardi L, Farina O, et al. Identification of the first dominant mutation of LAMA5 gene causing a complex multisystem syndrome due to dysfunction of the extracellular matrix. J Med Genet. 2017;54:710-720 pubmed publisherThe laminin alpha 5 gene (LAMA5) plays a master role in the maintenance and function of the extracellular matrix (ECM) in mammalian tissues, which is critical in developmental patterning, stem cell niches, cancer and genetic ..
- Whiffin N, Hosking F, Farrington S, Palles C, Dobbins S, Zgaga L, et al. Identification of susceptibility loci for colorectal cancer in a genome-wide meta-analysis. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:4729-37 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide further insights into the genetic and biological basis of inherited genetic susceptibility to CRC. ..
- Richter P, Umbreit C, Franz M, Berndt A, Grimm S, Uecker A, et al. EGF/TGF?1 co-stimulation of oral squamous cell carcinoma cells causes an epithelial-mesenchymal transition cell phenotype expressing laminin 332. J Oral Pathol Med. 2011;40:46-54 pubmed publisher..In summary we are able to show that EMT in OSCC is mediated by multiple growth factors and is accompanied by laminin ?2 chain up-regulation evidencing the existence of an intermediate Vim(+) /Ln332(+) EMT phenotype as seen in situ. ..
- Li H, Wu H, Zhang H, Li Y, Li S, Hou Q, et al. Identification of curcumin-inhibited extracellular matrix receptors in non-small cell lung cancer A549 cells by RNA sequencing. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317705334 pubmed publisher..Among those significantly altered genes, eight genes ( COL1A1, COL4A1, COL5A1, LAMA5, ITGA3, ITGA2B, DDIT3, and DUSP1) were further examined by quantitative reverse transcription polymerase chain ..
- Ritie L, Spenlé C, Lacroute J, Bolcato Bellemin A, Lefebvre O, Bole Feysot C, et al. Abnormal Wnt and PI3Kinase signaling in the malformed intestine of lama5 deficient mice. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e37710 pubmed publisher..the mechanistic role of laminin-511 in tissue homeostasis, we used RNA profiling of embryonic intestinal tissue of lama5 knockout mice and identified a lama5 specific gene expression signature...
- Saghizadeh M, Brown D, Castellon R, Chwa M, Huang G, Ljubimova J, et al. Overexpression of matrix metalloproteinase-10 and matrix metalloproteinase-3 in human diabetic corneas: a possible mechanism of basement membrane and integrin alterations. Am J Pathol. 2001;158:723-34 pubmed..MMP-10 overexpressed in the diabetic corneal epithelium seems to be the major contributor to the observed changes in DR corneas. Such alterations may bring about epithelial adhesive abnormalities clinically seen in diabetic corneas. ..
- Künneken K, Pohlentz G, Schmidt Hederich A, Odenthal U, Smyth N, Peter Katalinic J, et al. Recombinant human laminin-5 domains. Effects of heterotrimerization, proteolytic processing, and N-glycosylation on alpha3beta1 integrin binding. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:5184-93 pubmed..Further, the laminin-5CCG molecule with the alpha3'LG1-3 chain showed an increased binding affinity for alpha3beta1 integrin, indicating that proteolytic processing of laminin-5 influences its interaction with alpha3beta1 integrin. ..
- Wegner J, Loser K, Apsite G, Nischt R, Eckes B, Krieg T, et al. Laminin Î±5 in the keratinocyte basement membrane is required for epidermal-dermal intercommunication. Matrix Biol. 2016;56:24-41 pubmed publisher..is broadly expressed in the epidermal basement membrane (BM) of mature mice and its elimination at this site (Lama5Ker5 mouse) results in hyperproliferation of basal keratinocytes and a delay in hair follicle ..
- Pierce R, Griffin G, Miner J, Senior R. Expression patterns of laminin alpha1 and alpha5 in human lung during development. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2000;23:742-7 pubmed..It is evident that laminin alpha1 and laminin alpha5 have different roles in the development of the human lung. ..
- Virtanen I, Korhonen M, Petäjäniemi N, Karhunen T, Thornell L, Sorokin L, et al. Laminin isoforms in fetal and adult human adrenal cortex. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003;88:4960-6 pubmed..The results suggest that integrin alpha(3)beta(1) and Lutheran are candidate receptors for Ln-10 and -11, whereas dystroglycan probably binds Ln-2 and -4. ..
- Klees R, Salasznyk R, Vandenberg S, Bennett K, Plopper G. Laminin-5 activates extracellular matrix production and osteogenic gene focusing in human mesenchymal stem cells. Matrix Biol. 2007;26:106-14 pubmed
- Sime W, Lunderius Andersson C, Enoksson M, Rousselle P, Tryggvason K, Nilsson G, et al. Human mast cells adhere to and migrate on epithelial and vascular basement membrane laminins LM-332 and LM-511 via alpha3beta1 integrin. J Immunol. 2009;183:4657-65 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate a role for alpha3- and alpha5-LMs and their alpha(3)beta(1) integrin receptor in MC biology. This may explain the intimate structural and functional interactions that MCs have with specific basement membranes. ..
- Adrych K, Smoczynski M, Stojek M, Sledzinski T, Korczynska J, Goyke E, et al. Coordinated increase in serum platelet-derived growth factor-BB and transforming growth factor-?1 in patients with chronic pancreatitis. Pancreatology. 2011;11:434-40 pubmed publisher..The obtained results indicate for the first time that serum levels of PDGF-BB are elevated in patients with CP. However, ROC curve analysis suggests that PDGF-BB is not superior to laminin as a potential marker of advanced CP. ..
- Hongisto H, Vuoristo S, Mikhailova A, Suuronen R, Virtanen I, Otonkoski T, et al. Laminin-511 expression is associated with the functionality of feeder cells in human embryonic stem cell culture. Stem Cell Res. 2012;8:97-108 pubmed publisher..In addition, several genes with a known or possible role for hESC pluripotency were differentially expressed in distinct feeder cells. ..
- Huang W, Wang C, Zheng X, Ao J, Wang S, Liu G. [Correlation between ultrastructural changes of glomerular basement membrane and abnormal distribution of laminins in patients with Alport's syndrome]. Beijing Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban. 2009;41:630-4 pubmed..59, P=0.010; r=-0.53, P=0.025). Abnormal distribution of laminin alpha1 and laminin alpha5 in GBM is correlated with GBM thickening and splitting in human Alport's syndrome. ..
- Zahir N, Lakins J, Russell A, Ming W, Chatterjee C, Rozenberg G, et al. Autocrine laminin-5 ligates alpha6beta4 integrin and activates RAC and NFkappaB to mediate anchorage-independent survival of mammary tumors. J Cell Biol. 2003;163:1397-407 pubmed..Therefore, epithelial tumors could survive in the absence of exogenous basement membrane through autocrine LM-5-alpha6beta4 integrin-RAC-NFkappaB signaling. ..
- Galatenko V, Maltseva D, Galatenko A, Rodin S, Tonevitsky A. Cumulative prognostic power of laminin genes in colorectal cancer. BMC Med Genomics. 2018;11:9 pubmed publisher..did not belong to any known laminin trimer, but, taken together with the gene weights, suggested higher LAMA4/LAMA5 expression ratio in patients with poor prognosis...
- Takkunen M, Ainola M, Vainionpää N, Grenman R, Patarroyo M, Garcia de Herreros A, et al. Epithelial-mesenchymal transition downregulates laminin alpha5 chain and upregulates laminin alpha4 chain in oral squamous carcinoma cells. Histochem Cell Biol. 2008;130:509-25 pubmed publisher..Concomitant changes take place in laminin- and collagen-binding receptors. Laminin-411 reduces adhesion to laminin-511 and fibronectin, suggesting that tumor cells could utilize laminin-411 in their invasive behavior. ..
- Pouliot N, Saunders N, Kaur P. Laminin 10/11: an alternative adhesive ligand for epidermal keratinocytes with a functional role in promoting proliferation and migration. Exp Dermatol. 2002;11:387-97 pubmed..These results provide strong evidence for a functional role for laminin-10/11 in epidermal proliferation during homeostasis, wound healing and neoplasia. ..
- Wilhelmsen K, Litjens S, Sonnenberg A. Multiple functions of the integrin alpha6beta4 in epidermal homeostasis and tumorigenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:2877-86 pubmed
- Orian Rousseau V, Aberdam D, Rousselle P, Messent A, Gavrilovic J, Meneguzzi G, et al. Human colonic cancer cells synthesize and adhere to laminin-5. Their adhesion to laminin-5 involves multiple receptors among which is integrin alpha2beta1. J Cell Sci. 1998;111 ( Pt 14):1993-2004 pubmed..Together with previous in situ observations, these data provide a baseline knowledge for the understanding of the regulation of laminin-5 in normal and pathological intestine. ..
- Qiu H, Zhu B, Ni S. Identification of genes associated with primary open-angle glaucoma by bioinformatics approach. Int Ophthalmol. 2018;38:19-28 pubmed publisher..and COL5A1 were significantly enriched in biological function of eye morphogenesis and eye development, while LAMA5, COL3A1, COL1A2, and COL5A1 were significantly enriched in vasculature development and blood vessel development...
- Gorfu G, Virtanen I, Hukkanen M, Lehto V, Rousselle P, Kenne E, et al. Laminin isoforms of lymph nodes and predominant role of alpha5-laminin(s) in adhesion and migration of blood lymphocytes. J Leukoc Biol. 2008;84:701-12 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates a predominant role for alpha5-laminin(s) in blood lymphocyte biology and identifies LN laminins and their integrin receptors in blood lymphocytes. ..
- Vainionpää N, Kikkawa Y, Lounatmaa K, Miner J, Rousselle P, Virtanen I. Laminin-10 and Lutheran blood group glycoproteins in adhesion of human endothelial cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2006;290:C764-75 pubmed..Lu mediates the adhesion of human endothelial cells to alpha5 laminins in collaboration with integrins beta(1) and alpha(v)beta(3). ..
- Kikkawa Y, Virtanen I, Miner J. Mesangial cells organize the glomerular capillaries by adhering to the G domain of laminin alpha5 in the glomerular basement membrane. J Cell Biol. 2003;161:187-96 pubmed..When bred onto the Lama5 -/- background, Mr51 supported GBM formation, preventing the breakdown that normally occurs in Lama5 -/- glomeruli...
- Culp T, Budgeon L, Marinkovich M, Meneguzzi G, Christensen N. Keratinocyte-secreted laminin 5 can function as a transient receptor for human papillomaviruses by binding virions and transferring them to adjacent cells. J Virol. 2006;80:8940-50 pubmed
- Rahman F, Rao N, Tippu S, Patil S, Agarwal S, Srivastava S. The expression of laminin-5 in severe dysplasia/carcinoma in situ and early invasive squamous cell carcinoma: an immunohistochemical study. Minerva Stomatol. 2013;62:139-46 pubmed..Hence the study of laminin-5 immunohistologically can be regarded as an adjunct to distinguish severe dysplastic lesions from early oral invasive carcinoma. ..
- Mrowiec T, Melchar C, Gorski A. HIV-protein-mediated alterations in T cell interactions with the extracellular matrix proteins and endothelium. Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz). 1997;45:255-9 pubmed..Furthermore, tat induced E-selectin (but not VCAM-1 and ICAM-1) endothelial expression. Those findings may be relevant for the understanding of immunopathology of AIDS. ..
- Kohler D, Kruse M, Stocker W, Sterchi E. Heterologously overexpressed, affinity-purified human meprin alpha is functionally active and cleaves components of the basement membrane in vitro. FEBS Lett. 2000;465:2-7 pubmed..This supports a concept that meprin alpha, when basolaterally secreted by human colon carcinoma epithelial cells, increases the proteolytic capacity for tumor progression in the stroma. ..
- Enserink J, Price L, Methi T, Mahic M, Sonnenberg A, Bos J, et al. The cAMP-Epac-Rap1 pathway regulates cell spreading and cell adhesion to laminin-5 through the alpha3beta1 integrin but not the alpha6beta4 integrin. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:44889-96 pubmed..They also define different roles for the laminin-binding integrins in regulated cell adhesion and subsequent cell spreading. ..
- Laperle A, Hsiao C, Lampe M, Mortier J, Saha K, Palecek S, et al. Î±-5 Laminin Synthesized by Human Pluripotent Stem Cells Promotes Self-Renewal. Stem Cell Reports. 2015;5:195-206 pubmed publisher..Inducible shRNA knockdown and Cas9-mediated disruption of the LAMA5 gene dramatically reduced hPSC self-renewal and increased apoptosis without affecting the expression of ..
- De Luca M, Crocco P, De Rango F, Passarino G, Rose G. Association of the Laminin, Alpha 5 (LAMA5) rs4925386 with height and longevity in an elderly population from Southern Italy. Mech Ageing Dev. 2016;155:55-9 pubmed publisher..Previously, we reported the association of rs659822-C/T in LAMA5, encoding the laminin-Î±5 chain, with weight and height in a cohort of healthy 64-107 aged Italian individuals...
- DeRouen M, Zhen H, Tan S, Williams S, Marinkovich M, Oro A. Laminin-511 and integrin beta-1 in hair follicle development and basal cell carcinoma formation. BMC Dev Biol. 2010;10:112 pubmed publisher..Our data provides support for a primary role of laminin-511 promoting hair follicle epithelial downgrowth without affecting dermal primary cilia and Shh target gene induction. ..
- Chartier N, Lainé M, Gout S, Pawlak G, Marie C, Matos P, et al. Laminin-5-integrin interaction signals through PI 3-kinase and Rac1b to promote assembly of adherens junctions in HT-29 cells. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:31-46 pubmed..Our results provide a mechanistic insight into integrin-cadherin cross-talk and identify a novel role for PI 3-kinase in the establishment of adherens junctions. ..
- Zinn M, Aumailley M, Krieg T, Smola H. Expression of laminin 5 by parental and c-Ha-ras-transformed HaCaT keratinocytes in organotypic cultures. Eur J Cell Biol. 2006;85:333-43 pubmed..Degradation products may further contribute to the malignant phenotype by enhancing cellular migration and EGF-receptor activation. ..
- Mostafa W, Mahfouz S, Bosseila M, Sobhi R, El Nabarawy E. An immunohistochemical study of laminin in basal cell carcinoma. J Cutan Pathol. 2010;37:68-74 pubmed publisher..Cytoplasmic and basement membrane laminin is important in the pathogenesis and invasion of BCC. Most laminin was in basement membrane zone (BMZ), and the more differentiated the tumor, the more cytoplasmic and BM staining it expressed. ..
- McArthur C, Wang Y, Heruth D, Gustafson S. Amplification of extracellular matrix and oncogenes in tat-transfected human salivary gland cell lines with expression of laminin, fibronectin, collagens I, III, IV, c-myc and p53. Arch Oral Biol. 2001;46:545-55 pubmed..These cell lines provide a useful system for studying the role of tat in the immunopathogenesis of HIV-associated salivary gland disease. ..
- Kutlesa S, Siler U, Speiser A, Wessels J, Virtanen I, Rousselle P, et al. Developmentally regulated interactions of human thymocytes with different laminin isoforms. Immunology. 2002;105:407-18 pubmed..Interactions of CD8+ thymocytes with LN-5 were integrin alpha6beta4-dependent. These results show that interactions of developing human thymocytes with different laminin isoforms are spatially and developmentally regulated. ..
- Maselli R, Arredondo J, Vazquez J, Chong J, Bamshad M, Nickerson D, et al. Presynaptic congenital myasthenic syndrome with a homozygous sequence variant in LAMA5 combines myopia, facial tics, and failure of neuromuscular transmission. Am J Med Genet A. 2017;173:2240-2245 pubmed publisher..transmission in a consanguineous patient with a homozygous variant in the laminin alpha-5 subunit gene (LAMA5). The variant c.8046C>T (p.Arg2659Trp) is rare and has a predicted deleterious effect...
- Gu Y, Kortesmaa J, Tryggvason K, Persson J, Ekblom P, Jacobsen S, et al. Laminin isoform-specific promotion of adhesion and migration of human bone marrow progenitor cells. Blood. 2003;101:877-85 pubmed..The cell-adhesive laminins affected migration of hematopoietic progenitors, suggesting a physiologic role for laminins during hematopoiesis. ..
- Hirosaki T, Tsubota Y, Kariya Y, Moriyama K, Mizushima H, Miyazaki K. Laminin-6 is activated by proteolytic processing and regulates cellular adhesion and migration differently from laminin-5. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:49287-95 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that LN6 and LN5 have distinct biological activities, but they may cooperatively support cell adhesion. The proteolytic processing of the alpha3 chain seems to regulate the physiological functions of LN6. ..
- Ortiz Urda S, Garcia J, Green C, Chen L, Lin Q, Veitch D, et al. Type VII collagen is required for Ras-driven human epidermal tumorigenesis. Science. 2005;307:1773-6 pubmed..Tumor-stroma interactions mediated by collagen VII thus promote neoplasia, and retention of NC1 sequences in a subset of RDEB patients may contribute to their increased susceptibility to squamous cell carcinoma. ..
- Natarajan E, Omobono J, Guo Z, Hopkinson S, Lazar A, Brenn T, et al. A keratinocyte hypermotility/growth-arrest response involving laminin 5 and p16INK4A activated in wound healing and senescence. Am J Pathol. 2006;168:1821-37 pubmed..These results reveal fundamental features of a keratinocyte hyper-motility/growth-arrest response that is activated in wound healing, tumor suppression, and during serial culture. ..
- Goldfinger L, Jiang L, Hopkinson S, Stack M, Jones J. Spatial regulation and activity modulation of plasmin by high affinity binding to the G domain of the alpha 3 subunit of laminin-5. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:34887-93 pubmed..and Jones, J. C. R. (1998) J. Cell Biol. 141, 255-265). Thus, physical constraints dictated by interaction of proteinase and matrix macromolecule control not only enzymatic activity but may regulate substrate targeting of proteinases. ..
- Zhao B, Velasco K, Sompallae R, Pfirrmann T, Masucci M, Lindsten K. The ubiquitin specific protease-4 (USP4) interacts with the S9/Rpn6 subunit of the proteasome. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;427:490-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, the interaction with USP4 may regulate the structure and function of the proteasome or the turnover of specific proteasomal substrates. ..
- Doi M, Thyboll J, Kortesmaa J, Jansson K, Iivanainen A, Parvardeh M, et al. Recombinant human laminin-10 (alpha5beta1gamma1). Production, purification, and migration-promoting activity on vascular endothelial cells. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:12741-8 pubmed..Considering the cell adhesive and migration-promoting properties of rLN-10 on endothelial cells, this molecule could be useful in improving the biocompatibility and endothelialization of vascular grafts. ..
- Houlston R, Cheadle J, Dobbins S, Tenesa A, Jones A, Howarth K, et al. Meta-analysis of three genome-wide association studies identifies susceptibility loci for colorectal cancer at 1q41, 3q26.2, 12q13.13 and 20q13.33. Nat Genet. 2010;42:973-7 pubmed publisher..02 × 10??) and 20q13.33 (rs4925386, OR = 0.93, P = 1.89 × 10?¹?). In addition to identifying new CRC risk loci, this analysis provides evidence that additional CRC-associated variants of similar effect size remain to be discovered. ..
- Sroka T, Pennington M, Cress A. Synthetic D-amino acid peptide inhibits tumor cell motility on laminin-5. Carcinogenesis. 2006;27:1748-57 pubmed
- Hu Y, Gaedcke J, Emons G, Beissbarth T, Grade M, Jo P, et al. Colorectal cancer susceptibility loci as predictive markers of rectal cancer prognosis after surgery. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2017;: pubmed publisher..cancer (CRC) risk, 8q24 (upstream of MYC) and 18q21 (in the intron of SMAD7), as well as 20q13 (in the intron of LAMA5), are tightly associated with the prognosis of rectal cancer patients...
- Tsuji T, Kawada Y, Kai Murozono M, Komatsu S, Han S, Takeuchi K, et al. Regulation of melanoma cell migration and invasion by laminin-5 and alpha3beta1 integrin (VLA-3). Clin Exp Metastasis. 2002;19:127-34 pubmed..These results strongly suggest that the interaction of laminin-5 produced in the epidermis with alpha3beta1 integrin on melanoma cells is involved in cell migration, invasion, and degradation of extracellular matrix proteins. ..
- Spessotto P, Zucchetto A, Degan M, Wasserman B, Danussi C, Bomben R, et al. Laminin-332 (Laminin-5) is the major motility ligand for B cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Matrix Biol. 2007;26:473-84 pubmed
- Kawataki T, Yamane T, Naganuma H, Rousselle P, Andurén I, Tryggvason K, et al. Laminin isoforms and their integrin receptors in glioma cell migration and invasiveness: Evidence for a role of alpha5-laminin(s) and alpha3beta1 integrin. Exp Cell Res. 2007;313:3819-31 pubmed..They identify alpha3beta1 as the predominant integrin and laminin receptor in glioma cells, and as a brain invasion-mediating integrin. ..
- Son Y, Scranton T, Sunderland W, Baek S, Miner J, Sanes J, et al. The synaptic vesicle protein SV2 is complexed with an alpha5-containing laminin on the nerve terminal surface. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:451-60 pubmed..Our results suggest that a synaptic vesicle component may act as a laminin receptor on the presynaptic plasma membrane; they also suggest a mechanism for activity-dependent adhesion at the synapse. ..
- De Luca M, Chambers M, Casazza K, Lok K, Hunter G, Gower B, et al. Genetic variation in a member of the laminin gene family affects variation in body composition in Drosophila and humans. BMC Genet. 2008;9:52 pubmed publisher..we performed a human population-based association study to investigate the effect of natural variation in LAMA5 gene on body composition in humans...
- Bair E, Chen M, McDaniel K, Sekiguchi K, Cress A, Nagle R, et al. Membrane type 1 matrix metalloprotease cleaves laminin-10 and promotes prostate cancer cell migration. Neoplasia. 2005;7:380-9 pubmed..These findings suggest that prostate cancer cells expressing high levels of MT1-MMP have increased invasive potential through their ability to degrade and invade Ln-10 barriers. ..
- Genersch E, Ferletta M, Virtanen I, Haller H, Ekblom P. Integrin alphavbeta3 binding to human alpha5-laminins facilitates FGF-2- and VEGF-induced proliferation of human ECV304 carcinoma cells. Eur J Cell Biol. 2003;82:105-17 pubmed..Our data suggest that this interaction is involved in the regulation of cellular responses to growth factors known to be involved in epithelial and endothelial development...
- Adair Kirk T, Atkinson J, Broekelmann T, Doi M, Tryggvason K, Miner J, et al. A site on laminin alpha 5, AQARSAASKVKVSMKF, induces inflammatory cell production of matrix metalloproteinase-9 and chemotaxis. J Immunol. 2003;171:398-406 pubmed..A scrambled version of the minimal peptide, KAKSFVMVSK, was inactive. These data indicate that laminin alpha5-derived peptides can induce inflammatory cell chemotaxis and metalloproteinase activity. ..
- Kikkawa Y, Miwa T, Tohara Y, Hamakubo T, Nomizu M. An antibody to the lutheran glycoprotein (Lu) recognizing the LU4 blood type variant inhibits cell adhesion to laminin ?5. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23329 pubmed publisher..This function-blocking antibody against Lu/B-CAM should be useful for not only investigating cell adhesion to laminin ?5 but also for developing drugs to inhibit sickle cell vaso-occlusion. ..
- Amin K, Janson C, Seveus L, Miyazaki K, Virtanen I, Venge P. Uncoordinated production of Laminin-5 chains in airways epithelium of allergic asthmatics. Respir Res. 2005;6:110 pubmed..The uncoordinated production of chains of ln-5 in allergic asthma could have a bearing on the poor epithelial cell anchorage in these patients. ..
- Hintermann E, Yang N, O Sullivan D, Higgins J, Quaranta V. Integrin alpha6beta4-erbB2 complex inhibits haptotaxis by up-regulating E-cadherin cell-cell junctions in keratinocytes. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:8004-15 pubmed
- An S, Huang Y, Chen Z, Su J, Yang Y, Chen J, et al. Posttreatment plasma VEGF levels may be associated with the overall survival of patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer treated with bevacizumab plus chemotherapy. Med Oncol. 2012;29:627-32 pubmed publisher..Polymorphisms in LN5 were associated with a reduced level of hemoglobin and neutropenia. ..