Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: IL-1beta
Description: interleukin 1 beta
Alias: IL-1, IL1-BETA, IL1F2, interleukin-1 beta, IL-1 beta, catabolin, preinterleukin 1 beta, pro-interleukin-1-beta
Publications117 found, 100 shown here
- Gomez L, Camargo J, Castiblanco J, Ruiz Narvaez E, Cadena J, Anaya J. Analysis of IL1B, TAP1, TAP2 and IKBL polymorphisms on susceptibility to tuberculosis. Tissue Antigens. 2006;67:290-6 pubmed..These results indicate that a functional polymorphism in the IL1B gene influences the susceptibility to TB and suggest a role for IL-1beta in the pathogenesis of mycobacterial infection...
- Genc M, Gerber S, Nesin M, Witkin S. Polymorphism in the interleukin-1 gene complex and spontaneous preterm delivery. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2002;187:157-63 pubmed..021; odds ratio, 6.5; 95% CI, 1.25-37.7). There are associations of spontaneous preterm delivery with the fetal carriage of IL1B+3953*1 and IL1RN*2 alleles in African and Hispanic populations, respectively. ..
- Wu M, Chen L, Shun C, Huang S, Chiu H, Wang H, et al. Promoter polymorphisms of tumor necrosis factor-alpha are associated with risk of gastric mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue lymphoma. Int J Cancer. 2004;110:695-700 pubmed..The differences in genetic background as well as divergent clinicopathologic features between GAC and maltoma support the notion that fundamental mechanistic differences exist in these 2 well-defined H. pylori-related malignancies. ..
- Mamik M, Banerjee S, Walseth T, Hirte R, Tang L, Borgmann K, et al. HIV-1 and IL-1? regulate astrocytic CD38 through mitogen-activated protein kinases and nuclear factor-?B signaling mechanisms. J Neuroinflammation. 2011;8:145 pubmed publisher..Future studies may be directed towards understanding the role of CD38 in response to infection and thus its role in HAND. ..
- Reich K, Mossner R, Konig I, Westphal G, Ziegler A, Neumann C. Promoter polymorphisms of the genes encoding tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-1beta are associated with different subtypes of psoriasis characterized by early and late disease onset. J Invest Dermatol. 2002;118:155-63 pubmed..They also provide further evidence that patients with early and late onset psoriasis differ in their genetic background. ..
- Camargo J, Correa P, Castiblanco J, Anaya J. Interleukin-1beta polymorphisms in Colombian patients with autoimmune rheumatic diseases. Genes Immun. 2004;5:609-14 pubmed..The protective association might be explained by the observed inhibitory effect of IL-1beta + 3953T allele on the secretion of IL-1beta under inflammatory circumstances. ..
- Frosch M, Ahlmann M, Vogl T, Wittkowski H, Wulffraat N, Foell D, et al. The myeloid-related proteins 8 and 14 complex, a novel ligand of toll-like receptor 4, and interleukin-1beta form a positive feedback mechanism in systemic-onset juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;60:883-91 pubmed publisher..MRP-8/MRP-14 and IL-1beta represent a novel positive feedback mechanism activating phagocytes via 2 major signaling pathways of innate immunity during the pathogenesis of systemic-onset JIA. ..
- Hutyrova B, Pantelidis P, Drabek J, Zůrková M, Kolek V, Lenhart K, et al. Interleukin-1 gene cluster polymorphisms in sarcoidosis and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002;165:148-51 pubmed..Further population studies are warranted to confirm the observed association between sarcoidosis and the IL-1alpha polymorphism and also to explore mechanisms of IL-1alpha -889 participation in aberrant immune response in sarcoidosis. ..
- Garcia Gonzalez M, Lanas A, Savelkoul P, Santolaria S, Benito R, Crusius J, et al. Association of interleukin 1 gene family polymorphisms with duodenal ulcer disease. Clin Exp Immunol. 2003;134:525-31 pubmed..Our results provide further evidence that host genetic factors play a key role in the pathogenesis of duodenal ulcer. ..
- Kaler P, Augenlicht L, Klampfer L. Macrophage-derived IL-1beta stimulates Wnt signaling and growth of colon cancer cells: a crosstalk interrupted by vitamin D3. Oncogene. 2009;28:3892-902 pubmed publisher..Our data therefore established that vitamin D3 exerts its chemopreventive activity by interrupting a crosstalk between tumor epithelial cells and the tumor microenvironment. ..
- Ohashi J, Naka I, Doi A, Patarapotikul J, Hananantachai H, Tangpukdee N, et al. A functional polymorphism in the IL1B gene promoter, IL1B -31C>T, is not associated with cerebral malaria in Thailand. Malar J. 2005;4:38 pubmed..The present results suggest that IL1B -31C>T and IL1RA VNTR polymorphisms do not play a crucial role in susceptibility or resistance to cerebral malaria. ..
- Gayathri R, Saadi A, Bhat K, Bhat S, Satyamoorthy K. Allele, genotype, and composite genotype effects of IL-1A +4845 and IL-1B +3954 polymorphisms for chronic periodontitis in an Indian population. Indian J Dent Res. 2011;22:612 pubmed publisher..Its utility as a risk marker in this population was not borne out by the study. ..
- Chen M, Liao N, Zhao H, Huang J, Xie Z. Association between the IL1B (-511), IL1B (+3954), IL1RN (VNTR) polymorphisms and Graves' disease risk: a meta-analysis of 11 case-control studies. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e86077 pubmed publisher..The IL1B (-511) polymorphism, but not the IL1B (+3954) and IL1RN (VNTR) polymorphisms was associated with GD risk in Asians. There was no association between these polymorphisms and GD risk in Caucasians. ..
- Richette P, Francois M, Vicaut E, Fitting C, Bardin T, Corvol M, et al. A high interleukin 1 receptor antagonist/IL-1beta ratio occurs naturally in knee osteoarthritis. J Rheumatol. 2008;35:1650-4 pubmed..Our results suggest that intraarticular injection of IL-1Ra might be self-limited in patients with knee OA and a naturally high SF ratio. ..
- Lee B, Ahn S, Doo H, Yim S, Lee H, Jin S, et al. Susceptibility for ischemic stroke in Korean population is associated with polymorphisms of the interleukin-1 receptor antagonist and tumor necrosis factor-alpha genes, but not the interleukin-1beta gene. Neurosci Lett. 2004;357:33-6 pubmed..0225) to ischemic stroke. However, the genetic polymorphism of IL-1beta was not associated with ischemic stroke. Our results suggest that IL-1Ra and TNF-alpha gene polymorphism is associated with the susceptibility to ischemic stroke. ..
- Gallo J, Mrazek F, Petrek M. Variation in cytokine genes can contribute to severity of acetabular osteolysis and risk for revision in patients with ABG 1 total hip arthroplasty: a genetic association study. BMC Med Genet. 2009;10:109 pubmed publisher..In this way, presence of the minor TNF allele could increase the cumulative risk of THA failure. Conversely, SNP in the IL2 gene may protect carriers from the above THA complications. ..
- Tsai M, Chen W, Tsai C, Hang L, Tsai F. Interleukin-4 gene, but not the interleukin-1 beta gene polymorphism, is associated with oral cancer. J Clin Lab Anal. 2005;19:93-8 pubmed..However, whether the -590 C/T polymorphism of the IL4 gene plays a role in oral cancer remains unclear. Further substantiation based on larger patient samples is needed. ..
- Alpizar Alpizar W, Perez Perez G, Une C, Cuenca P, Sierra R. Association of interleukin-1B and interleukin-1RN polymorphisms with gastric cancer in a high-risk population of Costa Rica. Clin Exp Med. 2005;5:169-76 pubmed..This is one of the first studies trying to describe the role played by IL-1B, IL-1RN and IL-10 genetic polymorphisms in gastric cancer in one of the highest risk American countries. Further investigation on American countries is needed. ..
- Kim J, Lim K, Ku S, Kim S, Choi Y, Moon S. Relations between interleukin-1, its receptor antagonist gene polymorphism, and bone mineral density in postmenopausal Korean women. J Bone Miner Metab. 2006;24:53-7 pubmed..These data suggest that IL-1ra gene VNTR polymorphism is a genetic factor that may affect BMD in Korean women. ..
- Feldmeyer L, Keller M, Niklaus G, Hohl D, Werner S, Beer H. The inflammasome mediates UVB-induced activation and secretion of interleukin-1beta by keratinocytes. Curr Biol. 2007;17:1140-5 pubmed..This supports the concept that keratinocytes are important immuno-competent cells under physiological and pathological conditions . ..
- Mann C, Davies M, Stevenson V, Leary S, Boggild M, Ko Ko C, et al. Interleukin 1 genotypes in multiple sclerosis and relationship to disease severity. J Neuroimmunol. 2002;129:197-204 pubmed..Our results suggest that genetically determined immunomodulation mediated by IL-1 influences long-term prognosis in multiple sclerosis (MS). ..
- Sainz J, Perez E, Gómez Lopera S, Jurado M. IL1 gene cluster polymorphisms and its haplotypes may predict the risk to develop invasive pulmonary aspergillosis and modulate C-reactive protein level. J Clin Immunol. 2008;28:473-85 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate a critical role of IL1 gene cluster polymorphisms in the susceptibility to IPA infection and CRP production. ..
- Ban J, Kim M, Park S, Kwon K. Interleukin-1 beta polymorphisms are associated with lymph node metastasis in Korean patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma. Immunol Invest. 2012;41:888-905 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that IL-1B polymorphisms may be associated with the risk of PTC in the Korean population. Especially, IL-1B polymorphisms might be a predictive factor for lymph node metastasis of PTC patients. ..
- Gordon A, Kiss Toth E, Stockley I, Eastell R, Wilkinson J. Polymorphisms in the interleukin-1 receptor antagonist and interleukin-6 genes affect risk of osteolysis in patients with total hip arthroplasty. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58:3157-65 pubmed publisher..An uncommon haplotype within the promoter region of the gene for IL-6 is positively associated with osteolysis. ..
- Li N, He Z, Xu J, Liu F, Deng S, Zhang H. Association of PDE4D and IL-1 gene polymorphism with ischemic stroke in a Han Chinese population. Brain Res Bull. 2010;81:38-42 pubmed publisher..913; 95%CI=1.621-2.375; p=0.034 for the TT genotype of the IL-1 (-889C/T), respectively. the SNPs of the PDE4D (83T/C) and IL-1 (-889C/T) were associated with increased risk for the development of IS in Northern Han Chinese. ..
- Kim S, Cheong J, Lee D, Lee S, Kim M, Kwack K, et al. Interleukin-1ß and interleukin-1 receptor accessory protein gene polymorphisms are associated with persistent hepatitis B virus infection. Hepatogastroenterology. 2012;59:190-7 pubmed publisher..The genetic polymorphisms of IL-1ß-2023 C allele, IL- 1RAcP -8261 T allele and -8183 A allele are probable host factors for persistent HBV infection. ..
- Garza Gonzalez E, Bosques Padilla F, El Omar E, Hold G, Tijerina Menchaca R, Maldonado Garza H, et al. Role of the polymorphic IL-1B, IL-1RN and TNF-A genes in distal gastric cancer in Mexico. Int J Cancer. 2005;114:237-41 pubmed..These findings are similar to previous reports in Caucasian populations and underscore the importance of cytokine gene polymorphisms in the development of distal GC. ..
- Khalilzadeh O, Anvari M, Esteghamati A, Mahmoudi M, Tahvildari M, Rashidi A, et al. Graves' ophthalmopathy and gene polymorphisms in interleukin-1alpha, interleukin-1beta, interleukin-1 receptor and interleukin-1 receptor antagonist. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2009;37:614-9 pubmed publisher..This is the first study to show a positive correlation between polymorphisms in the IL-1alpha and IL-1RA genes and susceptibility to GO. These findings promote further research into genetic correlates of GO. ..
- Hahn W, Cho B, Kim S, Kim S, Kang S. Interleukin-1 cluster gene polymorphisms in childhood IgA nephropathy. Pediatr Nephrol. 2009;24:1329-36 pubmed publisher..They also suggest that the development of proteinuria in IgAN is related to IL1A and that podocyte foot process effacement is associated with IL1B. ..
- Lopez N, Valenzuela C, Jara L. Interleukin-1 gene cluster polymorphisms associated with periodontal disease in type 2 diabetes. J Periodontol. 2009;80:1590-8 pubmed publisher..04 to 2.49). No interaction between smoking status and polymorphisms was found. Periodontitis was significantly associated with some IL-1 gene polymorphisms. No association between diabetes and IL-1A and -1B gene polymorphisms was found. ..
- Sheng W, Hu S, Hegg C, Thayer S, Peterson P. Activation of human microglial cells by HIV-1 gp41 and Tat proteins. Clin Immunol. 2000;96:243-51 pubmed..The results of this study suggest that HIV-1 Tat and gp41 proteins impact several key functions of microglial cells which could contribute to the neuropathogenesis of HIV-1. ..
- Sims J, Nicklin M, Bazan J, Barton J, Busfield S, Ford J, et al. A new nomenclature for IL-1-family genes. Trends Immunol. 2001;22:536-7 pubmed
- Kiyohara C, Horiuchi T, Takayama K, Nakanishi Y. IL1B rs1143634 polymorphism, cigarette smoking, alcohol use, and lung cancer risk in a Japanese population. J Thorac Oncol. 2010;5:299-304 pubmed publisher..Additional studies are warranted to confirm the IL1B rs1143634-smoking interaction suggested in this study. ..
- Do H, Vasilescu A, Carpentier W, Meyer L, Diop G, Hirtzig T, et al. Exhaustive genotyping of the interleukin-1 family genes and associations with AIDS progression in a French cohort. J Infect Dis. 2006;194:1492-504 pubmed..To better evaluate the impact of the IL-1 family on AIDS development, we genotyped the IL1 alpha , IL1 beta , IL1Ra, and IL1R1 genes in 245 slow progressor (SP) and 82 rapid progressor (RP) human immunodeficiency virus ..
- Persson C, Engstrand L, Nyren O, Hansson L, Enroth H, Ekstrom A, et al. Interleukin 1-beta gene polymorphisms and risk of gastric cancer in Sweden. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2009;44:339-45 pubmed publisher..Our results do not lend support to the hypothesis that human genetic polymorphisms related to the production of IL-1 beta are associated with the risk of gastric cancer. ..
- Zambon C, Basso D, Navaglia F, Germano G, Gallo N, Milazzo M, et al. Helicobacter pylori virulence genes and host IL-1RN and IL-1beta genes interplay in favouring the development of peptic ulcer and intestinal metaplasia. Cytokine. 2002;18:242-51 pubmed..An interplay between bacterial virulence factors and cytokines genotypes, is probably the main route causing H. pylori infection to lead to benign mild disease, benign severe disease or preneoplastic lesions. ..
- Um J, Moon K, Lee K, Kim H. Interleukin-1 gene cluster polymorphisms in cerebral infarction. Cytokine. 2003;23:41-6 pubmed..989, P = 0.005, OR = 1.7). There was no significant association between IL-1beta (+3,953) polymorphism and CI. These results suggest that IL-1alpha-889 and IL-1ra polymorphisms are effective in the development of CI in Koreans. ..
- Meulenbelt I, Seymour A, Nieuwland M, Huizinga T, van Duijn C, Slagboom P. Association of the interleukin-1 gene cluster with radiographic signs of osteoarthritis of the hip. Arthritis Rheum. 2004;50:1179-86 pubmed..00022). Our findings suggest that the IL-1 gene cluster polymorphisms may play a significant role in the pathogenesis of OA of the hip. ..
- Mfuna Endam L, Cormier C, Bosse Y, Filali Mouhim A, Desrosiers M. Association of IL1A, IL1B, and TNF gene polymorphisms with chronic rhinosinusitis with and without nasal polyposis: A replication study. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010;136:187-92 pubmed publisher..This further supports the potential contribution of IL1A to the development of CRS. We were unable to replicate previous reports of associations with IL1B or TNF. ..
- Mohajertehran F, Tavakkol Afshari J, Rezaieyazdi Z, Ghomian N. Association of single nucleotide polymorphisms in the human tumor necrosis factor-? and interleukin 1-? genes in patients with pre-eclampsia. Iran J Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2012;11:224-9 pubmed publisher..39).The present study might suggest a role for TNF-? in the development of pre-eclampsia; however, IL-l? (C+3954T) polymorphism could not be considered as a marker of susceptibility to preeclampsia in our population. ..
- Chen A, Li C, Hsu P, Lai K, Tseng H, Hsu P, et al. Risks of interleukin-1 genetic polymorphisms and Helicobacter pylori infection in the development of gastric cancer. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2004;20:203-11 pubmed..A combination of H. pylori testing and host genotyping may target the eradication of H. pylori to high-risk individuals. ..
- Heneghan M, Johnson P, Clare M, Ho S, Harrison P, Donaldson P. Frequency and nature of cytokine gene polymorphisms in hepatocellular carcinoma in Hong Kong Chinese. Int J Gastrointest Cancer. 2003;34:19-26 pubmed
- Licastro F, Chiappelli M, Caldarera C, Tampieri C, Nanni S, Gallina M, et al. The concomitant presence of polymorphic alleles of interleukin-1beta, interleukin-6 and apolipoprotein E is associated with an increased risk of myocardial infarction in elderly men. Results from a pilot study. Mech Ageing Dev. 2004;125:575-9 pubmed..The administration of anti-inflammatory compounds to middle age healthy subjects with increased genetic susceptibility of developing MI might decrease the incidence and prevalence of cardiovascular events in aging. ..
- Hegab A, Sakamoto T, Saitoh W, Nomura A, Ishii Y, Morishima Y, et al. Polymorphisms of TNFalpha, IL1beta, and IL1RN genes in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;329:1246-52 pubmed..0037). Our findings suggest that this haplotype within the IL1beta gene may be involved in the pathogenesis of COPD and that the genetic factors of COPD susceptibility might be different between different populations. ..
- Lindmark F, Zheng S, Wiklund F, Bälter K, Sun J, Chang B, et al. Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist haplotype associated with prostate cancer risk. Br J Cancer. 2005;93:493-7 pubmed
- Palli D, Saieva C, Luzzi I, Masala G, Topa S, Sera F, et al. Interleukin-1 gene polymorphisms and gastric cancer risk in a high-risk Italian population. Am J Gastroenterol. 2005;100:1941-8 pubmed..These findings might be due to a haplotype effect. ..
- Sugihara K, Kabir Salmani M, Byrne J, Wolf D, Lessey B, Iwashita M, et al. Induction of trophinin in human endometrial surface epithelia by CGbeta and IL-1beta. FEBS Lett. 2008;582:197-202 pubmed..These results provide a mechanism for trophinin-mediated adhesion of human blastocyst to endometrium by a spatially and temporally restricted paracrine effect of hCG derived from the blastocyst. ..
- Nikolopoulos G, Dimou N, Hamodrakas S, Bagos P. Cytokine gene polymorphisms in periodontal disease: a meta-analysis of 53 studies including 4178 cases and 4590 controls. J Clin Periodontol. 2008;35:754-67 pubmed publisher..Future studies may contribute to the investigation of the potential multigenetic predisposition of the disease and reinforce our findings. ..
- Hamacher R, Diersch S, Scheibel M, Eckel F, Mayr M, Rad R, et al. Interleukin 1 beta gene promoter SNPs are associated with risk of pancreatic cancer. Cytokine. 2009;46:182-6 pubmed publisher..These findings provide a first evidence for an association of the IL1beta gene promoter SNPs with risk for pancreatic cancer. ..
- Meixenberger K, Pache F, Eitel J, Schmeck B, Hippenstiel S, Slevogt H, et al. Listeria monocytogenes-infected human peripheral blood mononuclear cells produce IL-1beta, depending on listeriolysin O and NLRP3. J Immunol. 2010;184:922-30 pubmed publisher..In addition, an LLO-dependent but cathepsin B-independent NLRP3 activation might contribute to some extent to the IL-1beta production in L. monocytogenes-infected cells...
- Liu L, Jia F, Yuan G, Chen Z, Yao J, Li H, et al. Tyrosine hydroxylase, interleukin-1beta and tumor necrosis factor-alpha are overexpressed in peripheral blood mononuclear cells from schizophrenia patients as determined by semi-quantitative analysis. Psychiatry Res. 2010;176:1-7 pubmed publisher..IL-1beta and TNF-alpha may influence the symptoms of schizophrenia in the cognition dysfunction and anxiety/depression domains of the PANSS. ..
- Read R, Cannings C, Naylor S, Timms J, Maheswaran R, Borrow R, et al. Variation within genes encoding interleukin-1 and the interleukin-1 receptor antagonist influence the severity of meningococcal disease. Ann Intern Med. 2003;138:534-41 pubmed..Increasing age and infection with serogroup C also influence the likelihood of death. ..
- Andrei C, Margiocco P, Poggi A, Lotti L, Torrisi M, Rubartelli A. Phospholipases C and A2 control lysosome-mediated IL-1 beta secretion: Implications for inflammatory processes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:9745-50 pubmed..This activation is ultimately responsible for lysosome exocytosis and IL-1 beta secretion. ..
- Sugimoto M, Furuta T, Shirai N, Nakamura A, Xiao F, Kajimura M, et al. Different effects of polymorphisms of tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-1 beta on development of peptic ulcer and gastric cancer. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007;22:51-9 pubmed..The simultaneous carriage of more than one high-producer allele of TNF-alpha further increased the risks for gastric ulcer and cancer. ..
- Lind H, Haugen A, Zienolddiny S. Differential binding of proteins to the IL1B -31 T/C polymorphism in lung epithelial cells. Cytokine. 2007;38:43-8 pubmed..Due to the high frequency of this SNP, differences in IL1B gene expression caused by the variants may have significant biological impact in the population. ..
- Wen A, Gu W, Wang J, Feng K, Qin L, Ying C, et al. Clinical relevance of IL-1beta promoter polymorphisms (-1470, -511, and -31) in patients with major trauma. Shock. 2010;33:576-82 pubmed publisher..It may be possible to use these polymorphisms as relevant risk estimates for sepsis in trauma patients. ..
- Yang J, Hu Z, Xu Y, Shen J, Niu J, Hu X, et al. Interleukin-1B gene promoter variants are associated with an increased risk of gastric cancer in a Chinese population. Cancer Lett. 2004;215:191-8 pubmed..These findings indicate that these two IL-1B promoter variants may contribute to the risk of developing gastric cancer in the Chinese population, especially in individuals with H. pylori infection. ..
- Cauci S, Di Santolo M, Casabellata G, Ryckman K, Williams S, Guaschino S. Association of interleukin-1beta and interleukin-1 receptor antagonist polymorphisms with bacterial vaginosis in non-pregnant Italian women. Mol Hum Reprod. 2007;13:243-50 pubmed..Further studies will determine whether these genetic polymorphisms modulate the risk for BV recurrence, and/or BV associated severe adverse outcomes as preterm birth and human immunodeficiency virus transmission. ..
- Auron P, Webb A, Rosenwasser L, Mucci S, Rich A, Wolff S, et al. Nucleotide sequence of human monocyte interleukin 1 precursor cDNA. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1984;81:7907-11 pubmed..The cDNA nucleotide sequence suggests that IL-1 is initially translated as a precursor molecule that is subsequently processed into the 15,000-20,000 Mr protein usually associated with IL-1 activity. ..
- Joos L, McIntyre L, Ruan J, Connett J, Anthonisen N, Weir T, et al. Association of IL-1beta and IL-1 receptor antagonist haplotypes with rate of decline in lung function in smokers. Thorax. 2001;56:863-6 pubmed..0005). These results suggest that IL1B/IL1RN haplotypes play a role in the rate of decline in lung function in smokers. ..
- Lee S, Kim B, Choi W, Lee I, Choi J, Song K. Lack of association between pro-inflammatory genotypes of the interleukin-1 (IL-1B -31 C/+ and IL-1RN *2/*2) and gastric cancer/duodenal ulcer in Korean population. Cytokine. 2003;21:167-71 pubmed..The lack of association with duodenal ulcer also suggested that the polymorphisms were not directly related to the acid-secreting capability. ..
- Parks C, Cooper G, Dooley M, Treadwell E, St Clair E, Gilkeson G, et al. Systemic lupus erythematosus and genetic variation in the interleukin 1 gene cluster: a population based study in the southeastern United States. Ann Rheum Dis. 2004;63:91-4 pubmed..4, p = 0.017), independent of variation at IL1alpha -889. The observed associations support the hypothesis that genetic variation in IL1 is involved in the aetiology of SLE and merit further investigation. ..
- Balding J, Livingstone W, Conroy J, Mynett Johnson L, Weir D, Mahmud N, et al. Inflammatory bowel disease: the role of inflammatory cytokine gene polymorphisms. Mediators Inflamm. 2004;13:181-7 pubmed..Whether the polymorphisms are directly involved in regulating cytokine production, and consequently pathophysiology of IBD, or serve merely as markers in linkage disequilibrium with susceptibility genes remains unclear. ..
- Iacoviello L, Di Castelnuovo A, Gattone M, Pezzini A, Assanelli D, Lorenzet R, et al. Polymorphisms of the interleukin-1beta gene affect the risk of myocardial infarction and ischemic stroke at young age and the response of mononuclear cells to stimulation in vitro. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2005;25:222-7 pubmed..511C/T IL-1beta gene polymorphism affects the risk of MI and ischemic stroke at young age and the response of mononuclear cells to inflammatory stimulation. ..
- Zhang W, Wang X, Zhou J, An L, Xie X. Association of interleukin-1B (IL-1B) gene polymorphisms with risk of gastric cancer in Chinese population. Cytokine. 2005;30:378-81 pubmed..The results of this study did not support the report that IL-1RN*2+ genotypes were associated with increased risk of GC in Chinese population. ..
- Havemose Poulsen A, Sørensen L, Bendtzen K, Holmstrup P. Polymorphisms within the IL-1 gene cluster: effects on cytokine profiles in peripheral blood and whole blood cell cultures of patients with aggressive periodontitis, juvenile idiopathic arthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis. J Periodontol. 2007;78:475-92 pubmed..IL-1 genotypes were associated with cytokine levels in patients with aggressive periodontitis and chronic arthritis. No associations were observed in control individuals. ..
- Moorchung N, Srivastava A, Gupta N, Ghoshal U, Achyut B, Mittal B. Cytokine gene polymorphisms and the pathology of chronic gastritis. Singapore Med J. 2007;48:447-54 pubmed..This would explain the "Indian Paradox" of the apparent discrepancy of a high degree of colonisation by H. pylori and a low incidence of gastric carcinoma in the Indian population. ..
- Sun H, Wang Y, Ma X, Pei F, Sun H, Zhang Y, et al. A method of oligochip for single nucleotide polymorphism genotyping in the promoter region of the interleukin-1 beta gene and its clinical application. Oligonucleotides. 2007;17:336-44 pubmed..002). All of our results demonstrated that the oligochip can effectively and accurately identify SNP genotypes in the IL-1 beta promoter region. ..
- Howren M, Lamkin D, Suls J. Associations of depression with C-reactive protein, IL-1, and IL-6: a meta-analysis. Psychosom Med. 2009;71:171-86 pubmed publisher..Available evidence is consistent with three causal pathways: depression to inflammation, inflammation to depression, and bidirectional relationships. ..
- Kumar S, Kumar A, Dixit V. Evidences showing association of interleukin-1B polymorphisms with increased risk of gastric cancer in an Indian population. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;387:456-60 pubmed publisher..pylori infection markedly increases the risk of GC in North Indian population. Additionally, IL-1B-511 C/C and IL-RN 2/2 polymorphisms seem to be involved in the development of GC in H. pylori uninfected patients. ..
- Baune B, Dannlowski U, Domschke K, Janssen D, Jordan M, Ohrmann P, et al. The interleukin 1 beta (IL1B) gene is associated with failure to achieve remission and impaired emotion processing in major depression. Biol Psychiatry. 2010;67:543-9 pubmed publisher..This study investigated the association between genetic variants of the interleukin 1 beta (IL1B) gene and amygdala and ACC responsiveness to emotional stimuli and response to antidepressant ..
- Ward J, West P, Ariaans M, Parker L, Francis S, Crossman D, et al. Temporal interleukin-1beta secretion from primary human peripheral blood monocytes by P2X7-independent and P2X7-dependent mechanisms. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:23147-58 pubmed publisher..Human monocytes released more IL-1beta/cell than macrophages. These data have important implications for inflammatory diseases that involve monocyte activation and IL-1 release. ..
- Bhaskar V, Yin J, Mirza A, Phan D, Vanegas S, Issafras H, et al. Monoclonal antibodies targeting IL-1 beta reduce biomarkers of atherosclerosis in vitro and inhibit atherosclerotic plaque formation in Apolipoprotein E-deficient mice. Atherosclerosis. 2011;216:313-20 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate for the first time that an antibody targeting IL-1? can inhibit the progression of atherosclerosis in vivo, highlighting the importance of this key cytokine in cardiovascular disease. ..
- Karimbux N, Saraiya V, Elangovan S, Allareddy V, Kinnunen T, Kornman K, et al. Interleukin-1 gene polymorphisms and chronic periodontitis in adult whites: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Periodontol. 2012;83:1407-19 pubmed publisher..This review and meta-analysis show that IL1A and IL1B genetic variations are significant contributors to CP in whites. ..
- Paino A, Lohermaa E, Sormunen R, Tuominen H, Korhonen J, Pöllänen M, et al. Interleukin-1? is internalised by viable Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans biofilm and locates to the outer edges of nucleoids. Cytokine. 2012;60:565-74 pubmed publisher..The interaction of IL-1? with conserved HU provides a potential mechanism for shaping bacterial gene expression. ..
- Nicklin M, Weith A, Duff G. A physical map of the region encompassing the human interleukin-1 alpha, interleukin-1 beta, and interleukin-1 receptor antagonist genes. Genomics. 1994;19:382-4 pubmed..Relative to one terminal CpG island, the three genes were mapped to the following intervals: IL1A was between +0 and +35 kb, IL1B was between +70 and +110 kb, and IL1RN was between +330 and +430 kb. ..
- Moos V, Rudwaleit M, Herzog V, Höhlig K, Sieper J, Muller B. Association of genotypes affecting the expression of interleukin-1beta or interleukin-1 receptor antagonist with osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2000;43:2417-22 pubmed..Both associations suggest that IL-1beta may be more important than TNFalpha for the regulation of cytokine and growth factor expression in articular chondrocytes. ..
- Vohnout B, Di Castelnuovo A, Trotta R, D Orazi A, Panniteri G, Montali A, et al. Interleukin-1 gene cluster polymorphisms and risk of coronary artery disease. Haematologica. 2003;88:54-60 pubmed..Our study does not support the association between IL-1 RA intron 2 VNTR and IL-1b 511 C/T polymorphisms and the risk of CAD in individuals undergoing coronary angiography. ..
- Gonzalez R, Leary K, Petrozza J, Leavis P. Leptin regulation of the interleukin-1 system in human endometrial cells. Mol Hum Reprod. 2003;9:151-8 pubmed