Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: IL-1beta
Description: interleukin 1 beta
Alias: IL-1, IL1-BETA, IL1F2, interleukin-1 beta, IL-1 beta, catabolin, preinterleukin 1 beta, pro-interleukin-1-beta
Publications378 found, 100 shown here
- Kalinderis M, Papanikolaou A, Kalinderi K, Ioannidou E, Giannoulis C, Karagiannis V, et al. Elevated serum levels of interleukin-6, interleukin-1? and human chorionic gonadotropin in pre-eclampsia. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2011;66:468-75 pubmed publisher..001 for each); however, no correlation was found between IL-6, IL-1? and hCG. Our results highlight the inflammatory origin of PE and reinforce the possible role of hCG in the complex aetiology of its pathogenesis. ..
- Ito H, Kaneko K, Makino R, Konishi K, Kurahashi T, Yamamoto T, et al. Interleukin-1beta gene in esophageal, gastric and colorectal carcinomas. Oncol Rep. 2007;18:473-81 pubmed..Our results shows that IL-1B-511C/T and T carrier state may indicate less risk for gastric and colorectal carcinoma in the Japanese population. ..
- Ito A, Mukaiyama A, Itoh Y, Nagase H, Thogersen I, Enghild J, et al. Degradation of interleukin 1beta by matrix metalloproteinases. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:14657-60 pubmed..These results suggest that IL-1beta stimulates connective tissue cells to produce MMPs, but activated MMPs in turn negatively regulate the activity of IL-1beta. ..
- Chen H, Chen W, Wu M, Tsai F, Lin C. Interleukin-1beta and interleukin-1 receptor antagonist gene polymorphism in postmenopausal women: correlation to bone mineral density and susceptibility to osteoporosis. Maturitas. 2003;44:49-54 pubmed
- Lind H, Zienolddiny S, Ryberg D, Skaug V, Phillips D, Haugen A. Interleukin 1 receptor antagonist gene polymorphism and risk of lung cancer: a possible interaction with polymorphisms in the interleukin 1 beta gene. Lung Cancer. 2005;50:285-90 pubmed..We have previously reported an association of interleukin 1 beta gene (IL1B) polymorphisms with lung cancer risk...
- Mouri F, Tsukada J, Mizobe T, Higashi T, Yoshida Y, Minami Y, et al. Intracellular HMGB1 transactivates the human IL1B gene promoter through association with an Ets transcription factor PU.1. Eur J Haematol. 2008;80:10-9 pubmed publisher..1-deficient murine EL4 thymoma cells. Thus, our data raise the possibility of a novel mechanism which sustains and amplifies inflammatory reactions through physical interaction of PU.1 with intracellular HMGB1 in macrophages/monocytes. ..
- Naslednikova I, Urazova O, Voronkova O, Strelis A, Novitsky V, Nikulina E, et al. Allelic polymorphism of cytokine genes during pulmonary tuberculosis. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2009;148:175-80 pubmed
- Furuta T, El Omar E, Xiao F, Shirai N, Takashima M, Sugimura H, et al. Interleukin 1beta polymorphisms increase risk of hypochlorhydria and atrophic gastritis and reduce risk of duodenal ulcer recurrence in Japan. Gastroenterology. 2002;123:92-105 pubmed..The effects are dependent on H. pylori infection and become more significant with advancing age. This may explain the high incidence of gastric cancer in Japan and also the age-dependent decrease in DU recurrence in infected subjects. ..
- Rahman P, Sun S, Peddle L, Snelgrove T, Melay W, Greenwood C, et al. Association between the interleukin-1 family gene cluster and psoriatic arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2006;54:2321-5 pubmed..34 (4 degrees of freedom). The IL1 locus appears to be a high-priority susceptibility locus in PsA, with at least 2 independent regions that confer increased risk. ..
- Ikehara S, Ikehara Y, Matsuo K, Hirose K, Niwa T, Ito H, et al. A polymorphism of C-to-T substitution at -31 IL1B is associated with the risk of advanced gastric adenocarcinoma in a Japanese population. J Hum Genet. 2006;51:927-33 pubmed..The signal transduction target upon interleukin 1 beta (IL1beta) stimulation, the nuclear factor of kappa B (NFkappaB) activation, supports cancer development, ..
- Wehling N, Palmer G, Pilapil C, Liu F, Wells J, Müller P, et al. Interleukin-1beta and tumor necrosis factor alpha inhibit chondrogenesis by human mesenchymal stem cells through NF-kappaB-dependent pathways. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;60:801-12 pubmed publisher..Strategies for enabling repair under these conditions include the use of specific antagonists of individual pyrogens, such as IL-1beta and TNFalpha, or the targeting of important intracellular mediators, such as NF-kappaB. ..
- Latella M, de Gaetano M, Di Castelnuovo A, Napoleone E, Lorenzet R, Gattone M, et al. Interleukin 1 gene cluster, myocardial infarction at young age and inflammatory response of human mononuclear cells. Immunol Invest. 2009;38:203-19 pubmed..IL-1B haplotypes influence the inflammatory response of human mononuclear cells to LPS and affect the risk of MI at young age. ..
- Hefler L, Ludwig E, Lebrecht A, Zeillinger R, Tong Cacsire D, Koelbl H, et al. Polymorphisms of the interleukin-1 gene cluster and ovarian cancer. J Soc Gynecol Investig. 2002;9:386-90 pubmed..Allelic variation within the IL-1 gene clusters does not seem to play a role in ovarian carcinogenesis and does not appear to be a useful tool for possible screening and risk evaluation. ..
- Jung Y, Isaacs J, Lee S, Trepel J, Neckers L. IL-1beta-mediated up-regulation of HIF-1alpha via an NFkappaB/COX-2 pathway identifies HIF-1 as a critical link between inflammation and oncogenesis. FASEB J. 2003;17:2115-7 pubmed..Thus, HIF-1 is identified as a pivotal transcription factor linking the inflammatory and oncogenic pathways. ..
- Stein J, Smeets R, Reichert S, Chrobot J, Fickl S, Stanzel S, et al. The role of the composite interleukin-1 genotype in the association between periodontitis and acute myocardial infarction. J Periodontol. 2009;80:1095-102 pubmed publisher..Although the IL-1 genotype was only weakly associated with compromised periodontal health, it was not associated with AMI. ..
- Olofsson P, Sheikine Y, Jatta K, Ghaderi M, Samnegard A, Eriksson P, et al. A functional interleukin-1 receptor antagonist polymorphism influences atherosclerosis development. The interleukin-1beta:interleukin-1 receptor antagonist balance in atherosclerosis. Circ J. 2009;73:1531-6 pubmed..In line with this, the presence of an IL-1Ra intron 2 polymorphism known to increase IL-1Ra levels, and possibly the IL-1Ra:IL-1beta ratio, was associated with reduced coronary atherosclerosis. ..
- Carta S, Tassi S, Pettinati I, Delfino L, Dinarello C, Rubartelli A. The rate of interleukin-1beta secretion in different myeloid cells varies with the extent of redox response to Toll-like receptor triggering. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:27069-80 pubmed publisher..Inflammasome activation by bacterial DNA is not modulated by redox responses, suggesting that redox-dependent regulation of IL-1? secretion is restricted to some inflammasomes including NLRP3 but excluding AIM-2. ..
- Verway M, Bouttier M, Wang T, Carrier M, Calderon M, An B, et al. Vitamin D induces interleukin-1? expression: paracrine macrophage epithelial signaling controls M. tuberculosis infection. PLoS Pathog. 2013;9:e1003407 pubmed publisher..These data provide evidence that the anti-microbial actions of vitamin D extend beyond the macrophage by modulating paracrine signaling, reinforcing its role in innate immune regulation in humans. ..
- Scapoli C, Trombelli L, Mamolini E, Collins A. Linkage disequilibrium analysis of case-control data: an application to generalized aggressive periodontitis. Genes Immun. 2005;6:44-52 pubmed
- Crusius J, Canzian F, Capella G, Pena A, Pera G, Sala N, et al. Cytokine gene polymorphisms and the risk of adenocarcinoma of the stomach in the European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition (EPIC-EURGAST). Ann Oncol. 2008;19:1894-902 pubmed publisher..74; 95% CI 1.15-2.63). This prospective study confirms the association of IL1RN polymorphisms with the risk of non-cardia GC and indicates that IL8 -251T>A may modify the risk for GC. ..
- Lagathu C, Yvan Charvet L, Bastard J, Maachi M, Quignard Boulange A, Capeau J, et al. Long-term treatment with interleukin-1beta induces insulin resistance in murine and human adipocytes. Diabetologia. 2006;49:2162-73 pubmed..IL1B is upregulated in adipose tissue of obese and insulin-resistant mouse models and may play an important role in the development of insulin resistance in murine and human adipose cells. ..
- Howard A, Kostura M, Thornberry N, Ding G, Limjuco G, Weidner J, et al. IL-1-converting enzyme requires aspartic acid residues for processing of the IL-1 beta precursor at two distinct sites and does not cleave 31-kDa IL-1 alpha. J Immunol. 1991;147:2964-9 pubmed..These results show that ICE is a highly specific IL-1 beta convertase with absolute requirements for Asp in P1 and a small hydrophobic amino acid in P1'. ..
- Dower S, Kronheim S, Hopp T, Cantrell M, Deeley M, Gillis S, et al. The cell surface receptors for interleukin-1 alpha and interleukin-1 beta are identical. Nature. 1986;324:266-8 pubmed..This result raises the issue of what separation, if any, there might be between the biological activities of IL-1 alpha and IL-1 beta. ..
- Martinon F, Burns K, Tschopp J. The inflammasome: a molecular platform triggering activation of inflammatory caspases and processing of proIL-beta. Mol Cell. 2002;10:417-26 pubmed..Thus, the inflammasome constitutes an important arm of the innate immunity. ..
- Howell W, Turner S, Theaker J, Bateman A. Cytokine gene single nucleotide polymorphisms and susceptibility to and prognosis in cutaneous malignant melanoma. Eur J Immunogenet. 2003;30:409-14 pubmed
- Zhang Y, Zhong L, He B, Li W, Nie J, Wang X, et al. [The correlation between polymorphism at position -511C/T in the promoter region of interleukin 1B and the severity of coronary heart disease]. Zhonghua Yi Xue Yi Chuan Xue Za Zhi. 2006;23:86-8 pubmed..05). The polymorphism at position -511C/T in IL1B is associated with the severity of CHD, and the DNA variation at this position may affect the secretion of IL1B, and aggravate the reaction of inflammation and dyslipoidemia. ..
- Kim N, Cho S, Yim J, Kim J, Lee D, Park J, et al. The effects of genetic polymorphisms of IL-1 and TNF-A on Helicobacter pylori-induced gastroduodenal diseases in Korea. Helicobacter. 2006;11:105-12 pubmed..pylori-positive relatives of GC patients, which suggest that this genetic polymorphism could play some role in the H. pylori-induced gastroduodenal diseases in Korea. ..
- Lee J, Kang Y, Park S, Cha S, Kim J, Kang H, et al. Polymorphisms in interleukin-1B and its receptor antagonist genes and the risk of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in a Korean population: a case-control study. Respir Med. 2008;102:1311-20 pubmed publisher..96, 95% CI 1.16-3.29, P=0.01). These findings suggest that polymorphisms in the IL1B and IL1RN genes might be useful markers for determining genetic susceptibility to COPD in a Korean population. ..
- Landvik N, Hart K, Skaug V, Stangeland L, Haugen A, Zienolddiny S. A specific interleukin-1B haplotype correlates with high levels of IL1B mRNA in the lung and increased risk of non-small cell lung cancer. Carcinogenesis. 2009;30:1186-92 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that a specific IL1B haplotype associated with increased IL1B gene expression increases the risk of NSCLC. ..
- Awomoyi A, Charurat M, Marchant A, Miller E, Blackwell J, McAdam K, et al. Polymorphism in IL1B: IL1B-511 association with tuberculosis and decreased lipopolysaccharide-induced IL-1beta in IFN-gamma primed ex-vivo whole blood assay. J Endotoxin Res. 2005;11:281-6 pubmed..Using an ex-vivo whole blood assay, healthy Gambian individuals who are homozygous for the IL1B-511-T allele failed to exhibit a significant increase in IL-1beta production in response to LPS after IFN-gamma priming. ..
- Chakravorty M, Ghosh A, Choudhury A, Santra A, Hembrum J, Roychoudhury S. Interaction between IL1B gene promoter polymorphisms in determining susceptibility to Helicobacter pylori associated duodenal ulcer. Hum Mutat. 2006;27:411-9 pubmed..They also suggest that the allelic interaction between the -511 and -31 polymorphic sites determines the overall strength of the IL1B promoter. ..
- Pelegrin P, Surprenant A. Pannexin-1 mediates large pore formation and interleukin-1beta release by the ATP-gated P2X7 receptor. EMBO J. 2006;25:5071-82 pubmed
- Wang C, Shen Y, Su C, Lo F, Lee S, Tsai H, et al. Investigation of the association between interleukin-1beta polymorphism and normal tension glaucoma. Mol Vis. 2007;13:719-23 pubmed..The IL-1beta gene polymorphisms (position -511 and +3953) may not play a key role in NTG pathogenesis in Chinese population. ..
- Vogel U, Christensen J, Wallin H, Friis S, Nexø B, Raaschou Nielsen O, et al. Polymorphisms in genes involved in the inflammatory response and interaction with NSAID use or smoking in relation to lung cancer risk in a prospective study. Mutat Res. 2008;639:89-100 pubmed publisher..p for interaction was 3 x 10(-6) for COX-2 A-1195G and 9 x 10(-5) for PPARgamma2 Pro(12)Ala. The results suggest that NSAID use may modify risk of lung cancer differently depending on the genotype. ..
- García Arnandis I, Guillén M, Gomar F, Pelletier J, Martel Pelletier J, Alcaraz M. High mobility group box 1 potentiates the pro-inflammatory effects of interleukin-1? in osteoarthritic synoviocytes. Arthritis Res Ther. 2010;12:R165 pubmed publisher..Our data support a pro-inflammatory role for this protein contributing to synovitis and articular destruction in OA. ..
- Fatjó Vilas M, Pomarol Clotet E, Salvador R, Monte G, Gomar J, Sarró S, et al. Effect of the interleukin-1β gene on dorsolateral prefrontal cortex function in schizophrenia: a genetic neuroimaging study. Biol Psychiatry. 2012;72:758-65 pubmed publisher..The findings support a role for IL1B variability in the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex dysfunction classically associated with schizophrenia. ..
- Lee K, Ki C, Kim H, Sohn K, Kim J, Kang W, et al. Novel interleukin 1beta polymorphism increased the risk of gastric cancer in a Korean population. J Gastroenterol. 2004;39:429-33 pubmed..Our results also suggest that the association between IL-1B polymorphism and an increased risk of gastric cancer may depend on the histologic type of gastric cancer. ..
- Ruzzo A, Graziano F, Pizzagalli F, Santini D, Battistelli V, Panunzi S, et al. Interleukin 1B gene (IL-1B) and interleukin 1 receptor antagonist gene (IL-1RN) polymorphisms in Helicobacter pylori-negative gastric cancer of intestinal and diffuse histotype. Ann Oncol. 2005;16:887-92 pubmed..pylori infection. In this setting, future epidemiologic studies should consider dietary habits and exposure to carcinogens interacting with pro-inflammatory host genotypes. ..
- Al Tahhan M, Etewa R, El Behery M. Association between circulating interleukin-1 beta (IL-1β) levels and IL-1β C-511T polymorphism with cervical cancer risk in Egyptian women. Mol Cell Biochem. 2011;353:159-65 pubmed publisher..00, 95% CI = 1.19-3.38, and P = 0.008). In conclusion, plasma IL-1β level and IL-1β C-511T polymorphism may be considered as candidate biomarkers for cervical cancer in Egyptian women. ..
- Zielinski C, Mele F, Aschenbrenner D, Jarrossay D, Ronchi F, Gattorno M, et al. Pathogen-induced human TH17 cells produce IFN-? or IL-10 and are regulated by IL-1?. Nature. 2012;484:514-8 pubmed publisher..albicans and S. aureus prime TH17 cells that produce either IFN-? or IL-10, and identify IL-1? and IL-2 as pro- and anti-inflammatory regulators of TH17 cells both at priming and in the effector phase...
- Zabaleta J, Lin H, Sierra R, Hall M, Clark P, Sartor O, et al. Interactions of cytokine gene polymorphisms in prostate cancer risk. Carcinogenesis. 2008;29:573-8 pubmed publisher..92, 95% CI = 1.13-7.55) and the genotype combination of TNF-238GG plus IL10-592AA (OR = 2.14, 95% CI = 1.05-4.38). Our results highlight the importance of cytokine SNPs and their interactions in CaP risk. ..
- Upadhyay R, Jain M, Kumar S, Ghoshal U, Mittal B. Potential influence of interleukin-1 haplotype IL-1 beta-511*T-IL-1RN*1 in conferring low risk to middle third location of esophageal cancer: a case-control study. Hum Immunol. 2008;69:179-86 pubmed publisher..002; OR = 0.462; 95% CI = 0.253-0.845, p = 0.01). In conclusion, subjects with IL-1 beta -511TT genotype or IL-1 beta*T-IL-1RN*1 (T1) haplotype had lower risk for middle third tumor location of EC in a northern Indian population. ..
- Popko K, Gorska E, Potapinska O, Wasik M, Stoklosa A, Plywaczewski R, et al. Frequency of distribution of inflammatory cytokines IL-1, IL-6 and TNF-alpha gene polymorphism in patients with obstructive sleep apnea. J Physiol Pharmacol. 2008;59 Suppl 6:607-14 pubmed..The study revealed a significant correlation between polymorphism located in the promoter region of inflammatory cytokine genes and obesity-related OSAS. ..
- Trajkov D, Trajchevska M, Arsov T, Petlichkovski A, Strezova A, Efinska Mladenovska O, et al. Association of 22 cytokine gene polymorphisms with tuberculosis in Macedonians. Indian J Tuberc. 2009;56:117-31 pubmed..These results suggest that some cytokine polymorphisms are significantly associated and affect host susceptibility/resistance to TB in Macedonians. ..
- Lasiglié D, Traggiai E, Federici S, Alessio M, Buoncompagni A, Accogli A, et al. Role of IL-1 beta in the development of human T(H)17 cells: lesson from NLPR3 mutated patients. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20014 pubmed publisher..These findings further support the central role of IL-1? in the differentiation of T(H)17 in human inflammatory conditions. ..
- Nicklin M, Barton J, Nguyen M, FitzGerald M, Duff G, Kornman K. A sequence-based map of the nine genes of the human interleukin-1 cluster. Genomics. 2002;79:718-25 pubmed..The gene order relates to the evolutionary relationship between the genes. Key features of exon boundaries are conserved. There is no evidence for other IL-1 family members within the cluster. ..
- Eklund C, Jahan F, Pessi T, Lehtimaki T, Hurme M. Interleukin 1B gene polymorphism is associated with baseline C-reactive protein levels in healthy individuals. Eur Cytokine Netw. 2003;14:168-71 pubmed..72 mg/l), and composite genotype analysis of IL1B-511/IL1B + 3954 supported this finding. Our findings suggest that in healthy people, basal CRP levels are regulated by IL1B but not by IL6 genetics. ..
- Rothman N, Skibola C, Wang S, Morgan G, Lan Q, Smith M, et al. Genetic variation in TNF and IL10 and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma: a report from the InterLymph Consortium. Lancet Oncol. 2006;7:27-38 pubmed..Moreover, our results underscore the importance of consortia for investigating the genetic basis of chronic diseases like cancer. ..
- García González M, Aísa M, Strunk M, Benito R, Piazuelo E, Jimenez P, et al. Relevance of IL-1 and TNF gene polymorphisms on interleukin-1beta and tumor necrosis factor-alpha gastric mucosal production. Hum Immunol. 2009;70:935-45 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the VNTR polymorphism of the IL1RN gene influences IL-1beta gastric mucosal production in patients infected with H. pylori. ..
- Solovieva S, Kamarainen O, Hirvonen A, Hämäläinen S, Laitala M, Vehmas T, et al. Association between interleukin 1 gene cluster polymorphisms and bilateral distal interphalangeal osteoarthritis. J Rheumatol. 2009;36:1977-86 pubmed publisher..Our results provide further evidence for the role of IL1 gene cluster polymorphisms in the etiology of OA and suggest that some of these may predispose DIP joints to the effects of mechanical overload. ..
- Shete A, Joseph R, Vijayan N, Srinivas L, Banerjee M. Association of single nucleotide gene polymorphism at interleukin-1beta +3954, -511, and -31 in chronic periodontitis and aggressive periodontitis in Dravidian ethnicity. J Periodontol. 2010;81:62-9 pubmed publisher..More studies with a larger sample size involving the entire cluster of the IL-1beta gene are necessary to determine the exact role of IL-1beta gene polymorphisms in periodontal disease. ..
- Khalilzadeh O, Anvari M, Esteghamati A, Momen Heravi F, Mahmoudi M, Rashidi A, et al. The interleukin-1 family gene polymorphisms and Graves' disease. Ann Endocrinol (Paris). 2010;71:281-5 pubmed publisher..In this study, we documented a highly significant association between GD and polymorphism in IL-1alpha and IL-1RA genes. Further studies in other populations are necessary to confirm our results. ..
- Landvik N, Hart K, Haugen A, Zienolddiny S. Functional analysis of a lung cancer risk haplotype in the IL1B gene regulatory region. J Hum Genet. 2012;57:747-52 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, in vitro results showed a similar expression pattern as observed in the normal lung tissues of lung cancer patients reported earlier. ..
- Craggs A, West S, Curtis A, Welfare M, Hudson M, Donaldson P, et al. Absence of a genetic association between IL-1RN and IL-1B gene polymorphisms in ulcerative colitis and Crohn disease in multiple populations from northeast England. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2001;36:1173-8 pubmed..The findings of this study lead us to reject the IL-1RN*2 association with IBD. ..
- Griffin W, Mrak R. Interleukin-1 in the genesis and progression of and risk for development of neuronal degeneration in Alzheimer's disease. J Leukoc Biol. 2002;72:233-8 pubmed..Moreover, this increased risk is associated with earlier age of onset of the disease. Homozygosity for this polymorphism in combination with another in the IL-1B gene further increases risk. ..
- Kim J, Ku S, Lim K, Jee B, Suh C, Kim S, et al. Cytokine production by whole blood cells: relationship to interleukin gene polymorphism and bone mass. J Korean Med Sci. 2005;20:1017-22 pubmed..In conclusion IL-1beta may regulate bone metabolism at femoral neck, and the IL system polymorphism do not affect the production of ILs by whole blood cells. ..
- Kanangat S, Postlethwaite A, Cholera S, Williams L, Schaberg D. Modulation of virulence gene expression in Staphylococcus aureus by interleukin-1beta: novel implications in bacterial pathogenesis. Microbes Infect. 2007;9:408-15 pubmed..Determination of the mechanisms of IL-1-induced alterations in S. aureus gene expression may lead to the identification of novel therapeutic targets against this ever-evolving opportunistic pathogen. ..
- Honda A, Abe R, Makino T, Norisugi O, Fujita Y, Watanabe H, et al. Interleukin-1beta and macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF) in dermal fibroblasts mediate UVA-induced matrix metalloproteinase-1 expression. J Dermatol Sci. 2008;49:63-72 pubmed..IL-1beta is involved in the up-regulation of UVA-induced MMP-1 in dermal fibroblasts, and IL-1beta and MIF cytokine network induce MMP-1 and contribute to the loss of interstitial collagen in skin photoaging. ..
- Misener V, Gomez L, Wigg K, King N, Kiss E, Daróczi G, et al. Tagging SNP association study of the IL-1beta gene (IL1B) and childhood-onset mood disorders. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2009;150B:653-9 pubmed publisher..The results do not support the involvement of IL1B as a major factor in genetic risk for early-onset mood disorders. ..
- Maleszewska M, Moonen J, Huijkman N, van De Sluis B, Krenning G, Harmsen M. IL-1? and TGF?2 synergistically induce endothelial to mesenchymal transition in an NF?B-dependent manner. Immunobiology. 2013;218:443-54 pubmed publisher..Therefore our findings provide new insights into the mechanisms of pathological EndMT. ..
- El Omar E, Rabkin C, Gammon M, Vaughan T, Risch H, Schoenberg J, et al. Increased risk of noncardia gastric cancer associated with proinflammatory cytokine gene polymorphisms. Gastroenterology. 2003;124:1193-201 pubmed..A proinflammatory cytokine genetic profile increases the risk of noncardia gastric adenocarcinoma but not other upper gastrointestinal cancers, possibly by inducing a hypochlorhydric and atrophic response to gastric H. pylori infection. ..
- Hefler L, Grimm C, Lantzsch T, Lampe D, Leodolter S, Koelbl H, et al. Interleukin-1 and interleukin-6 gene polymorphisms and the risk of breast cancer in caucasian women. Clin Cancer Res. 2005;11:5718-21 pubmed..Although polymorphisms within the IL1 gene cluster do not seem to influence breast cancer risk or phenotype, presence of the -174C IL6 allele increases the risk of breast cancer in Caucasian women in a dose-dependent fashion. ..
- Balasubramanian S, Azmy I, Higham S, Wilson A, Cross S, Cox A, et al. Interleukin gene polymorphisms and breast cancer: a case control study and systematic literature review. BMC Cancer. 2006;6:188 pubmed..The results of the systematic review are summarised. Polymorphisms within key interleukin genes (IL1A, IL1B, IL1RN, IL4R, IL6 and IL10 do not appear to play a significant overall role in breast cancer susceptibility or severity. ..
- Sezgin M, Erdal M, Altintas Z, Ankarali H, Barlas I, Turkmen E, et al. Lack of association polymorphisms of the IL1RN, IL1A, and IL1B genes with knee osteoarthritis in Turkish patients. Clin Invest Med. 2007;30:E86-92 pubmed..whether polymorphisms of the interleukin 1 receptor antagonist (IL1RN), interleukin 1 alpha (IL1A) and interleukin 1 beta (IL1B) genes are markers of genetic susceptibility to knee osteoarthritis in Turkish patients...
- Luft T, Jefford M, Luetjens P, Hochrein H, Masterman K, Maliszewski C, et al. IL-1 beta enhances CD40 ligand-mediated cytokine secretion by human dendritic cells (DC): a mechanism for T cell-independent DC activation. J Immunol. 2002;168:713-22 pubmed..The synergy between CD40L and IL-1beta highlights a potent, T cell-independent mechanism for DC activation during the earliest stages of inflammatory responses. ..
- Ma S, Tang N, Lam L, Chiu H. Lack of association of the interleukin-1beta gene polymorphism with Alzheimer's disease in a Chinese population. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2003;16:265-8 pubmed..61 and 0.03, respectively. No significant difference was detected in the genotypic or allelic frequencies (p > 0.25). We conclude that IL-1beta polymorphism is unlikely to be a significant risk factor for AD in the Chinese Population. ..
- Graziano F, Ruzzo A, Santini D, Humar B, Tonini G, Catalano V, et al. Prognostic role of interleukin-1beta gene and interleukin-1 receptor antagonist gene polymorphisms in patients with advanced gastric cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23:2339-45 pubmed..These findings deserve further investigation for potential anticancer activity of recombinant IL-RN. ..
- Lu T, Tian L, Han Y, Vogelbaum M, Stark G. Dose-dependent cross-talk between the transforming growth factor-beta and interleukin-1 signaling pathways. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:4365-70 pubmed
- Geismar K, Enevold C, Sørensen L, Gyntelberg F, Bendtzen K, Sigurd B, et al. Involvement of interleukin-1 genotypes in the association of coronary heart disease with periodontitis. J Periodontol. 2008;79:2322-30 pubmed..016). Allele 1 of IL-1RN VNTR may be associated with the coexistence of CHD and PE in a multiple regression model. ..
- Kobayashi T, Murasawa A, Ito S, Yamamoto K, Komatsu Y, Abe A, et al. Cytokine gene polymorphisms associated with rheumatoid arthritis and periodontitis in Japanese adults. J Periodontol. 2009;80:792-9 pubmed publisher..006) and between RA + P and H groups (P = 0.008). Japanese individuals with RA and periodontitis may exhibit different distributions of IL-1B +3954 genotypes than healthy controls and subjects with periodontitis only. ..
- Gruica B, Wang H, Lang N, Buser D. Impact of IL-1 genotype and smoking status on the prognosis of osseointegrated implants. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2004;15:393-400 pubmed..These findings have led to the conclusion that there is a synergistic effect between a positive IL-1 genotype and smoking that puts dental implants at a significantly higher risk of developing biologic complications during function. ..
- Snoussi K, Strosberg A, Bouaouina N, Ben Ahmed S, Chouchane L. Genetic variation in pro-inflammatory cytokines (interleukin-1beta, interleukin-1alpha and interleukin-6) associated with the aggressive forms, survival, and relapse prediction of breast carcinoma. Eur Cytokine Netw. 2005;16:253-60 pubmed..The polymorphisms in the promoter region of the IL-6 gene may represent a marker for the increased risk of breast carcinoma. Genetic variations in IL-1alpha, IL-1beta and IL-6 may predict the clinical outcome of breast carcinoma. ..
- De Jongh C, Khrenova L, Kezic S, Rustemeyer T, Verberk M, John S. Polymorphisms in the interleukin-1 gene influence the stratum corneum interleukin-1 alpha concentration in uninvolved skin of patients with chronic irritant contact dermatitis. Contact Dermatitis. 2008;58:263-8 pubmed publisher..We have shown a clear effect of IL1 genotype on protein expression in the SC. This altered expression may be responsible for the interindividual differences in the inflammatory response of the skin. ..
- Vishnoi M, Pandey S, Choudhuri G, Mittal B. IL-1 gene polymorphisms and genetic susceptibility of gallbladder cancer in a north Indian population. Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 2008;186:63-8 pubmed publisher..061; OR = 3.04; 95%CI = 0.95-9.70). Individuals with 1/C and 2/C haplotypes of IL-1RN VNTR and -511IL-1B C --> T polymorphisms were more susceptible to develop GBC with gallstones compared to healthy controls in north India. ..
- Cordeiro C, Moreira P, Costa G, Dutra W, Campos W, Orefice F, et al. Interleukin-1 gene polymorphisms and toxoplasmic retinochoroiditis. Mol Vis. 2008;14:1845-9 pubmed..This study suggests that the genotypes related with a high production of IL-1a may be associated with the recurrence of TR. ..
- Chen F, Cheng W. [Correlation of IL-1beta-511 and IL-1RN VNTR gene polymorphism to coronary heart disease: a meta-analysis]. Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao. 2010;30:1635-8 pubmed..01 and the 95% CI was 0.78-1.17 (Z=0.08, P=0.93). The gene polymorphism of IL-1beta-511 or IL-1RN VNTR has no correlation to the susceptibility of CHD, but is associated with in the disease development and clinical phenotype. ..
- Machado J, Pharoah P, Sousa S, Carvalho R, Oliveira C, Figueiredo C, et al. Interleukin 1B and interleukin 1RN polymorphisms are associated with increased risk of gastric carcinoma. Gastroenterology. 2001;121:823-9 pubmed..Furthermore, we found evidence pointing to the existence of a synergistic interaction between the IL-1B and IL-1RN polymorphisms. ..
- Deng L, Wang C, Spencer E, Yang L, Braun A, You J, et al. Activation of the IkappaB kinase complex by TRAF6 requires a dimeric ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme complex and a unique polyubiquitin chain. Cell. 2000;103:351-61 pubmed..These results unveil a new regulatory function for ubiquitin, in which IKK is activated through the assembly of K63-linked polyubiquitin chains. ..
- Meisel P, Schwahn C, Gesch D, Bernhardt O, John U, Kocher T. Dose-effect relation of smoking and the interleukin-1 gene polymorphism in periodontal disease. J Periodontol. 2004;75:236-42 pubmed..Smokers bearing the genotype-positive IL-1 allele combination have an increased risk of periodontitis. The IL-1 genotype has no influence in non-smokers. ..
- Atsuta Y, Kawase H, Hamajima N, Nishio K, Niwa Y, Tanaka D, et al. Use of duplex PCR-CTPP methods for CYP2E1RsaI/IL-2 T-330G and IL-1B C-31T/TNF-A T-1031C polymorphisms. Mol Diagn. 2005;9:89-94 pubmed..Both duplex PCR-CTPP methods may be useful tools for studies on the association between these polymorphisms and disease risk. ..
- Kamangar F, Abnet C, Hutchinson A, Newschaffer C, Helzlsouer K, Shugart Y, et al. Polymorphisms in inflammation-related genes and risk of gastric cancer (Finland). Cancer Causes Control. 2006;17:117-25 pubmed..Our results do not support the hypothesis that polymorphisms in genes involved in the inflammatory response confer differences in gastric cancer risk among different individuals. ..
- Abazis Stamboulieh D, Oikonomou P, Papadoulis N, Panayiotidis P, Vrakidou E, Tsezou A. Association of interleukin-1A, interleukin-1B and interleukin-1 receptor antagonist gene polymorphisms with multiple myeloma. Leuk Lymphoma. 2007;48:2196-203 pubmed..Moreover, genotypes IL1B -511 CC, IL1B +3954 CC, IL-1RN Mspa1 +11100 CC and the combination of IL1B +3954 CC with IL1B -511 CC or IL-1RN Mspa1 +11100 CC exerted a protective effect in individuals possessing them. ..
- Tassi S, Carta S, Vené R, Delfino L, Ciriolo M, Rubartelli A. Pathogen-induced interleukin-1beta processing and secretion is regulated by a biphasic redox response. J Immunol. 2009;183:1456-62 pubmed publisher..Thus, PAMP-induced ROS trigger an antioxidant response involving intracellular redox enzymes and release of cysteine, ultimately required for IL-1beta processing and secretion. ..
- Kato S, Onda M, Yamada S, Matsuda N, Tokunaga A, Matsukura N. Association of the interleukin-1 beta genetic polymorphism and gastric cancer risk in Japanese. J Gastroenterol. 2001;36:696-9 pubmed..However, in view of the results for the IM or CAG without H. pylori group, the presence of the C allele may also indicate a risk of mucosal atrophy of the stomach in the Japanese population. ..
- van der Paardt M, Crusius J, Garcia Gonzalez M, Baudoin P, Kostense P, Alizadeh B, et al. Interleukin-1beta and interleukin-1 receptor antagonist gene polymorphisms in ankylosing spondylitis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2002;41:1419-23 pubmed..Further studies are necessary to determine the biological significance of these findings in relation to susceptibility or severity of the disease. ..