Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: IL-18
Description: interleukin 18
Alias: IGIF, IL-18, IL-1g, IL1F4, interleukin-18, IFN-gamma-inducing factor, IL-1 gamma, iboctadekin, interleukin 18 (interferon-gamma-inducing factor), interleukin-1 gamma
- Haghshenas M, Hosseini S, Mahmoudi M, Saberi Firozi M, Farjadian S, Ghaderi A. IL-18 serum level and IL-18 promoter gene polymorphism in Iranian patients with gastrointestinal cancers. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009;24:1119-22 pubmed publisher..In addition, increasing serum IL-18 level may have clinical importance as a diagnostic marker in patients with stomach and colorectal cancer. ..
- Babar M, Ryan A, Anderson L, Segurado R, Turner G, Murray L, et al. Genes of the interleukin-18 pathway are associated with susceptibility to Barrett's esophagus and esophageal adenocarcinoma. Am J Gastroenterol. 2012;107:1331-41 pubmed publisher..As both of these SNPs have been demonstrated as expression quantitative trait loci affecting expression of the respective genes, this strongly implicates IL-18 signaling in susceptibility to BE and EAC. ..
- Altinova A, Engin D, Akbay E, Akturk M, Toruner F, Ersoy R, et al. Association of polymorphisms in the IL-18 and IL-12 genes with susceptibility to Type 1 diabetes in Turkish patients. J Endocrinol Invest. 2010;33:451-4 pubmed publisher..01). The results of the present study show that the IL- 18 and IL-12p40 polymorphisms may have some effect on the onset age and deterioration of glycemic control in Turkish patients with T1DM. ..
- Han M, Yue J, Lian Y, Zhao Y, Wang H, Liu L. Relationship between single nucleotide polymorphism of interleukin-18 and susceptibility to pulmonary tuberculosis in the Chinese Han population. Microbiol Immunol. 2011;55:388-93 pubmed publisher..01, OR [95%CI] = 0.70 [0.57-0.85]) for TB. The present findings suggest that polymorphisms in the IL-18 gene may affect susceptibility to TB and increase the risk of developing the disease in the Chinese Han population. ..
- Cheong J, Cho S, Oh B, Kimm K, Lee K, Shin S, et al. Association of interleukin-18 gene polymorphisms with hepatitis B virus clearance. Dig Dis Sci. 2010;55:1113-9 pubmed publisher..13-0.82; P = 0.01) were significantly associated with HBV clearance in a recessive model. This study indicates that the -148C, +8925G, and +13925C alleles of the IL-18 gene are likely associated with HBV clearance in a Korean population. ..
- Monroy C, Cortes A, Lopez M, D Amelio A, Etzel C, Younes A, et al. Hodgkin disease risk: role of genetic polymorphisms and gene-gene interactions in inflammation pathway genes. Mol Carcinog. 2011;50:36-46 pubmed publisher..Our study is the first to report the association between polymorphisms in inflammation genes and HD susceptibility risk. ..
- Pei F, Han Y, Zhang X, Yan C, Huang M, Huang L, et al. Association of interleukin-18 gene promoter polymorphisms with risk of acute myocardial infarction in northern Chinese Han population. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2009;47:523-9 pubmed publisher..No relationship between -137G/C polymorphism and AMI was found. This study shows for the first time that the IL-18 gene promoter -607C/A polymorphism may be considered a genetic risk factor for AMI in northern Chinese Han population. ..
- Kawayama T, Okamoto M, Imaoka H, Kato S, Young H, Hoshino T. Interleukin-18 in pulmonary inflammatory diseases. J Interferon Cytokine Res. 2012;32:443-9 pubmed publisher..Here, we review the pathological roles of IL-18 in pulmonary inflammatory diseases. ..
- Volin M, Koch A. Interleukin-18: a mediator of inflammation and angiogenesis in rheumatoid arthritis. J Interferon Cytokine Res. 2011;31:745-51 pubmed publisher..IL-18 has been identified as a potential therapeutic target in the treatment of RA. ..
- Sanchez E, Palomino Morales R, Ortego Centeno N, Jimenez Alonso J, Gonzalez Gay M, Lopez Nevot M, et al. Identification of a new putative functional IL18 gene variant through an association study in systemic lupus erythematosus. Hum Mol Genet. 2009;18:3739-48 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the novel IL18 rs360719 variant may play an important role in determining the susceptibility to SLE and it could be a key factor in the expression of the IL18 gene. ..
- Izakovicova Holla L, Hrdlickova B, Schüller M, Buckova D, Kindlova D, Izakovic V, et al. Haplotype analysis of the interleukin-18 gene in Czech patients with allergic disorders. Hum Immunol. 2010;71:592-7 pubmed publisher..59-7.14). In contrast, there was no relationship among the IL-18 variants and total serum IgE level. Our results indicate that promoter polymorphisms in the IL-18 gene act in interaction and could play a role in allergic disorders. ..
- Opstad T, Pettersen A, Arnesen H, Seljeflot I. Circulating levels of IL-18 are significantly influenced by the IL-18 +183 A/G polymorphism in coronary artery disease patients with diabetes type 2 and the metabolic syndrome: an observational study. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2011;10:110 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov: NCT00222261. ..
- Puxeddu I, Italiani P, Giungato P, Pratesi F, Panza F, Bartaloni D, et al. Free IL-18 and IL-33 cytokines in chronic spontaneous urticaria. Cytokine. 2013;61:741-3 pubmed publisher..Increased levels of free IL-18 and IL-18BP, but not IL-33, was detected in CSU. Whether IL-18 up-regulation is a consequence of inflammation or one of the causes of the pathology needs to be addressed. ..
- Sun L, Hu F, Yu Z, Li H, Liu H, Wang X, et al. Lean body mass, interleukin 18, and metabolic syndrome in apparently healthy Chinese. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e18104 pubmed publisherWe aimed to investigate how lean body mass is related to circulating Interleukin 18 (IL-18) and its association with metabolic syndrome (MetS) among apparently healthy Chinese...
- Galbiati V, Papale A, Galli C, Marinovich M, Corsini E. Role of ROS and HMGB1 in contact allergen-induced IL-18 production in human keratinocytes. J Invest Dermatol. 2014;134:2719-2727 pubmed publisher..We found that different intracellular sources of ROS are triggered by contact allergens, and an important role for HMGB1 in chemical allergen-induced IL-18 production was demonstrated. ..
- Ying B, Shi Y, Pan X, Song X, Huang Z, Niu Q, et al. Association of polymorphisms in the human IL-10 and IL-18 genes with rheumatoid arthritis. Mol Biol Rep. 2011;38:379-85 pubmed publisher..05), but the genotype and allele frequency of IL-18-607 was not associated with IL-18 serum level (P>0.05). Taken together, our findings provide new insight for the polymorphism of IL-10 gene in the pathogenesis of RA. ..
- Grzegorzewska A, Wobszal P, Jagodziński P. Interleukin-18 promoter polymorphism and development of antibodies to surface antigen of hepatitis B virus in hemodialysis patients. Kidney Blood Press Res. 2012;35:1-8 pubmed publisher..239 (95% CI 0.079-0.728, p = 0.010), and for CC versus TT it was 0.240 (95% CI 0.078-0.738, p = 0.009). In HD patients, the IL-18 -1297CC genotype may play a role in anti-HBsAg development in response to HBV surface antigen. ..
- Welsh P, Woodward M, Rumley A, MacMahon S, Lowe G. Does interleukin-18 or tumour necrosis factor-alpha have an independent association with the risk of coronary heart disease? Results from a prospective study in New Zealand. Cytokine. 2010;50:94-8 pubmed publisher..These cytokines may play a role in CHD pathology, but may not be robust risk biomarkers. ..
- Welsh P, Woodward M, Rumley A, Lowe G. Associations of circulating TNFalpha and IL-18 with myocardial infarction and cardiovascular risk markers: the Glasgow Myocardial Infarction Study. Cytokine. 2009;47:143-7 pubmed publisher..Independently elevated TNFalpha among those with previous MI may reflect cardiac expression of TNFalpha in ongoing myocardial remodeling. ..
- Blom L, Poulsen L. IL-1 family members IL-18 and IL-33 upregulate the inflammatory potential of differentiated human Th1 and Th2 cultures. J Immunol. 2012;189:4331-7 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we report that the IL-1 family "alarmins" IL-18 and IL-33 in addition to amplifying both Th1- and Th2-associated cytokines block production of the regulatory cytokine IL-10 in Th1 cultures. ..
- Ben Aleya W, Sfar I, Habibi I, Mouelhi L, Aouadi H, Makhlouf M, et al. Interleukin-18 gene polymorphisms in tunisian patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Digestion. 2011;83:269-74 pubmed publisher..It remains to be determined precisely how the IL-18 alleles influence the pathogenesis of IBD. ..
- Jaiswal P, Singh V, Srivastava P, Mittal R. Association of IL-12, IL-18 variants and serum IL-18 with bladder cancer susceptibility in North Indian population. Gene. 2013;519:128-34 pubmed publisher..A relation between IL18 (-137) G/C in heterozygous genotype with elevated IL-18 serum level and bladder cancer risk has been registered in the present study. ..
- Mi Y, Yu Q, Yu M, Xu B, Zhang L, Cheng W, et al. Review and pooled analysis of studies on -607(C/A) and -137(G/C) polymorphisms in IL-18 and cancer risk. Med Oncol. 2011;28:1107-15 pubmed publisher..Our pooled analysis supported that IL-18 is a good candidate for large-scale epidemiological case-control studies that may be a low-penetrance susceptibility biomarker for cancer. ..
- Moravej A, Rasouli M, Asaei S, Kalani M, Mansoori Y. Association of interleukin-18 gene variants with susceptibility to visceral leishmaniasis in Iranian population. Mol Biol Rep. 2013;40:4009-14 pubmed publisher..001). In conclusion, this study suggests that the inheritance of T allele at the position -656 may be considered as a genetic factor for resistance to VL. ..
- Ibrahim G, Eltabbakh M, Gomaa A, Mohamed E. Interleukin-18 gene polymorphisms in Egyptian patients with allergic diseases. Am J Rhinol Allergy. 2012;26:385-9 pubmed publisher..However, the role of IL-18 in allergy may be too complex to be reflected in a simple association study. ..
- Messaoudi S, Dandana M, Magdoud K, Meddeb S, Ben Slama N, Hizem S, et al. Interleukin-18 promoter polymorphisms and risk of idiopathic recurrent pregnancy loss in a Tunisian population. J Reprod Immunol. 2012;93:109-13 pubmed publisher..001), and CGAA (corrected P<0.001) haplotypes to be associated with increased RPL risk, after adjusting for age and BMI. These results demonstrate that -105G/A and -656C/A IL-18 variants are significantly associated with RPL. ..
- Hartford M, Wiklund O, Hulten L, Persson A, Karlsson T, Herlitz J, et al. Interleukin-18 as a predictor of future events in patients with acute coronary syndromes. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010;30:2039-46 pubmed publisher..The association between IL-18 and noncardiovascular mortality is intriguing and warrants further study. ..
- Tavares N, Santos M, Moura R, Araujo J, Guimaraes R, Crovella S, et al. Interleukin 18 (IL18) gene promoter polymorphisms are associated with type 1 diabetes mellitus in Brazilian patients. Cytokine. 2013;62:286-9 pubmed publisherb>Interleukin 18 (IL-18) is a cytokine that plays an important role in the Th1 response, by its ability to induce IFN-? production in T cells and natural killer cells...
- Mo C, Dai Y, Kang N, Cui L, He W. Ectopic expression of human MutS homologue 2 on renal carcinoma cells is induced by oxidative stress with interleukin-18 promotion via p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) and c-Jun N-terminal kinase (JNK) signaling pathways. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:19242-54 pubmed publisher..Because ?? T cells play an important role in the early stage of innate anti-tumor response, ?? T cell activation triggered by ectopically expressed hMSH2 may be an important event in immunosurveillance for carcinogenesis. ..
- Pan H, Leng R, Ye D. Lack of association of interleukin-18 gene promoter -607 A/C polymorphism with susceptibility to autoimmune diseases: a meta-analysis. Lupus. 2011;20:945-51 pubmed publisher..To date, there is still not enough evidence to indicate the association of IL-18 gene promoter -607 A/C polymorphism and the development of autoimmune diseases. ..
- Al Khateeb G, Sater M, Finan R, Mustafa F, Al Busaidi A, Al Sulaiti M, et al. Analysis of interleukin-18 promoter polymorphisms and changes in interleukin-18 serum levels underscores the involvement of interleukin-18 in recurrent spontaneous miscarriage. Fertil Steril. 2011;96:921-6 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrated that reduced IL-18 levels and rs360717 and rs1946519 IL-18 variants are significantly associated with RSM. ..
- Migliorini P, Anzilotti C, Pratesi F, Quattroni P, Bargagna M, Dinarello C, et al. Serum and urinary levels of IL-18 and its inhibitor IL-18BP in systemic lupus erythematosus. Eur Cytokine Netw. 2010;21:264-71 pubmed publisher..Despite the overproduction of IL-18BP, free IL-18 is still significantly higher in SLE patients than in controls, and its serum levels are a marker of disease activity. ..
- Jefferis B, Papacosta O, Owen C, Wannamethee S, Humphries S, Woodward M, et al. Interleukin 18 and coronary heart disease: prospective study and systematic review. Atherosclerosis. 2011;217:227-33 pubmed publisher..25, [corrected] 1.55) after additional risk factor adjustment and 1.34 (95% CI 1.17, 1.53) [corrected] after additional adjustment for inflammatory markers. Circulating IL-18 is prospectively and independently associated with CVD risk. ..
- Hernesniemi J, Anttila K, Nieminen T, Kahonen M, Mononen N, Nikus K, et al. IL-18 gene polymorphism, cardiovascular mortality and coronary artery disease. Eur J Clin Invest. 2010;40:994-1001 pubmed publisherb>Interleukin 18(IL-18) is a pro-atherosclerotic cytokine...
- Moschen A, Molnar C, Enrich B, Geiger S, Ebenbichler C, Tilg H. Adipose and liver expression of interleukin (IL)-1 family members in morbid obesity and effects of weight loss. Mol Med. 2011;17:840-5 pubmed publisher..Excessive weight loss changes the adipose and liver expression profile of IL-1F members toward a more antiinflammatory direction. ..
- He M, Cornelis M, Kraft P, van Dam R, Sun Q, Laurie C, et al. Genome-wide association study identifies variants at the IL18-BCO2 locus associated with interleukin-18 levels. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010;30:885-90 pubmed publisher..0002 and 0.0006, respectively). The 2 SNPs together explained 2.9% of variation of plasma IL-18 levels. This study identified several novel variants at the IL18-BCO2 locus associated with IL-18 levels. ..
- Nong L, Luo B, Zhang L, Nong H. Interleukin-18 gene promoter polymorphism and the risk of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in a Chinese population. DNA Cell Biol. 2009;28:507-13 pubmed publisher..Consistent with the results of the genotyping analyses, the -137 C/-607 A haplotype was associated with a significantly increased risk of NPC as compared with the -137 G/-607 C haplotype (OR = 1.721; 95% CI, 1.262-2.349; p = 0.001). ..
- Zhang N, Yu J, Yu N, Lu R, Ma T, Wang N, et al. Interleukin-18 promoter polymorphisms and risk of ischemic stroke. Brain Res Bull. 2010;81:590-4 pubmed publisher..341, P = 0.005, power = 100%). Our findings suggest that these functional polymorphisms in the IL-18 promoter are involved in development of IS in the Han Chinese population. ..
- Ma Y, Zhang B, Tang R, Liu Y, Peng G. Interleukin-18 promoter polymorphism and asthma risk: a meta-analysis. Mol Biol Rep. 2012;39:1371-6 pubmed publisher..There was no evidence of publication bias. The present meta-analysis suggested that IL-18 -607C/A polymorphism in promoter region was associated with asthma risk. ..
- Liu W, Han B, Sun B, Gao Y, Huang Y, Hu M. Overexpression of interleukin-18 induces growth inhibition, apoptosis and gene expression changes in a human tongue squamous cell carcinoma cell line. J Int Med Res. 2012;40:537-44 pubmed..These findings suggest that IL-18 plays a role in the regulation of tongue squamous cell carcinoma and may represent a potential therapeutic target. ..
- Hivert M, Sun Q, Shrader P, Mantzoros C, Meigs J, Hu F. Circulating IL-18 and the risk of type 2 diabetes in women. Diabetologia. 2009;52:2101-8 pubmed publisher..Elevated IL-18 levels are associated with higher risk of diabetes. This association is independent of usual risk factors, including BMI and adipokine levels. ..
- Birbian N, Singh J, Jindal S. Protective role of IL-18 -137G/C polymorphism in a North Indian population with asthma: a pilot study. Cytokine. 2013;61:188-93 pubmed publisher..The IL-18 -137G/C polymorphism confers a significant protection from asthma in the studied North Indian population. This is the first study to report the protective association of the polymorphism with the disease. ..
- Liang X, Liu S, Chen Y, Yan L, Li H, Xuan H, et al. Combination of urinary kidney injury molecule-1 and interleukin-18 as early biomarker for the diagnosis and progressive assessment of acute kidney injury following cardiopulmonary bypass surgery: a prospective nested case-control study. Biomarkers. 2010;15:332-9 pubmed publisher..The combination of these two biomarkers facilitates the early diagnosis and assessment of the likely progression of AKI after CPB. ..
- Xu X, Li D, He Q, Gao J, Chen B, Xie A. Interleukin-18 promoter polymorphisms and risk of Parkinson's disease in a Han Chinese population. Brain Res. 2011;1381:90-4 pubmed publisher..610). Results in this study revealed that the IL-18 607C/A polymorphism is a risk factor for sporadic LOPD in Han Chinese population, while IL-18 137G/C polymorphism is not a risk factor for sporadic PD in the Han Chinese population. ..
- Grisoni M, Proust C, Alanne M, Desuremain M, Salomaa V, Kuulasmaa K, et al. Lack of association between polymorphisms of the IL18R1 and IL18RAP genes and cardiovascular risk: the MORGAM Project. BMC Med Genet. 2009;10:44 pubmed publisher..Our analysis suggests that the variability of IL18R1 and IL18RAP genes are unlikely to contribute to modulate the risk of CVD. ..
- Sugiura T, Kawaguchi Y, Ikari K, Ichida H, Kawamoto M, Momohara S, et al. Interleukin-18 promoter polymorphisms in Japanese patients with rheumatoid arthritis: protective effect of the T allele and T/T genotype at rs360722. Mod Rheumatol. 2011;21:359-64 pubmed publisher..20 versus 0.27, P = 0.0006, OR = 0.72, 95% CI = 0.58-0.86). Therefore, presence of the T allele and T/T genotype at rs360722 reduces the susceptibility of Japanese people to RA. ..
- Tian H, Shi G, Yang G, Zhang J, Li Y, Du T, et al. Cellular immunotherapy using irradiated lung cancer cell vaccine co-expressing GM-CSF and IL-18 can induce significant antitumor effects. BMC Cancer. 2014;14:48 pubmed publisher..These results provide a new insight into therapeutic mechanisms of IL-18 plus GM-CSF modified tumor cell vaccine and provide a potential clinical cancer immunotherapeutic agent for improved antitumor immunity. ..
- Farjadfar A, Mojtahedi Z, Ghayumi M, Erfani N, Haghshenas M, Ghaderi A. Interleukin-18 promoter polymorphism is associated with lung cancer: a case-control study. Acta Oncol. 2009;48:971-6 pubmed publisher..Further studies with larger numbers of patients are required to determine the possible association between IL-18 polymorphisms and different histological types of lung cancer. ..
- Hernesniemi J, Karhunen P, Oksala N, Kahonen M, Levula M, Rontu R, et al. Interleukin 18 gene promoter polymorphism: a link between hypertension and pre-hospital sudden cardiac death: the Helsinki Sudden Death Study. Eur Heart J. 2009;30:2939-46 pubmed publisherThe interleukin 18 (IL-18) gene has a single nucleotide promoter region (-137) G-to-C polymorphism (rs187238) which leads to attenuated transcriptional activity of the gene and to lower production of pro-atherogenic IL-18...