Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: IL-17
Description: interleukin 17A
Alias: CTLA-8, CTLA8, IL-17, IL-17A, IL17, interleukin-17A, cytotoxic T-lymphocyte-associated antigen 8, cytotoxic T-lymphocyte-associated protein 8, interleukin 17 (cytotoxic T-lymphocyte-associated serine esterase 8)
Publications104 found, 100 shown here
- Bradshaw E, Raddassi K, Elyaman W, Orban T, Gottlieb P, Kent S, et al. Monocytes from patients with type 1 diabetes spontaneously secrete proinflammatory cytokines inducing Th17 cells. J Immunol. 2009;183:4432-9 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that the innate immune system in T1D may drive the adaptive immune system by expanding the Th17 population of effector T cells. ..
- Lotti F, Jarrar A, Pai R, Hitomi M, Lathia J, Mace A, et al. Chemotherapy activates cancer-associated fibroblasts to maintain colorectal cancer-initiating cells by IL-17A. J Exp Med. 2013;210:2851-72 pubmed publisher..Incorporating simultaneous disruption of CIC mechanisms and interplay with the tumor microenvironment could optimize therapeutic targeting of cancer. ..
- Song X, Qian Y. IL-17 family cytokines mediated signaling in the pathogenesis of inflammatory diseases. Cell Signal. 2013;25:2335-47 pubmed publisher..In this review, we will summarize recent progresses on the signalings of this family cytokines and their impacts on the inflammatory responses or disorders. ..
- Zhang X, Zheng L, Sun Y, Zhang X. Analysis of the association of interleukin-17 gene polymorphisms with gastric cancer risk and interaction with Helicobacter pylori infection in a Chinese population. Tumour Biol. 2014;35:1575-80 pubmed publisher..pylori infection and subsites. These findings could be helpful in identifying individuals at increased risk for developing gastric cancer. ..
- Qinghai Z, Yanying W, Yunfang C, Xukui Z, Xiaoqiao Z. Effect of interleukin-17A and interleukin-17F gene polymorphisms on the risk of gastric cancer in a Chinese population. Gene. 2014;537:328-32 pubmed publisher..pylori infection, tobacco smoking and subsites of gastric cancer. These findings could be helpful in identifying individuals at increased risk for developing gastric cancer. ..
- Nistala K, Moncrieffe H, Newton K, Varsani H, Hunter P, Wedderburn L. Interleukin-17-producing T cells are enriched in the joints of children with arthritis, but have a reciprocal relationship to regulatory T cell numbers. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58:875-87 pubmed publisher..We suggest that these highly proinflammatory cells contribute to joint pathology, as indicated by relationships with clinical phenotypes, and that the balance between IL-17+ T cells and Treg cells may be critical to outcome. ..
- Voo K, Wang Y, Santori F, Boggiano C, Wang Y, Arima K, et al. Identification of IL-17-producing FOXP3+ regulatory T cells in humans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:4793-8 pubmed publisher..IL-17-producing Treg cells may play critical roles in antimicrobial defense, while controlling autoimmunity and inflammation. ..
- Ely L, Fischer S, Garcia K. Structural basis of receptor sharing by interleukin 17 cytokines. Nat Immunol. 2009;10:1245-51 pubmed publisher..IL-17RA used a common recognition strategy to bind to several members of the IL-17 family, which allows it to potentially act as a shared receptor in multiple different signaling complexes. ..
- Pickens S, Volin M, Mandelin A, Kolls J, Pope R, Shahrara S. IL-17 contributes to angiogenesis in rheumatoid arthritis. J Immunol. 2010;184:3233-41 pubmed publisher..These observations identify a novel function for IL-17 as an angiogenic mediator in RA, supporting IL-17 as a therapeutic target in RA. ..
- Frisullo G, Nociti V, Iorio R, Patanella A, Marti A, Caggiula M, et al. IL17 and IFNgamma production by peripheral blood mononuclear cells from clinically isolated syndrome to secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. Cytokine. 2008;44:22-5 pubmed publisherWe evaluated the spontaneous IL17, IFNgamma and IL10 production by peripheral blood mononuclear cells from patients affected by clinically isolated syndromes (CIS) suggestive of multiple sclerosis (MS) both in acute phase and in remission,..
- de Jong E, Suddason T, Lord G. Translational mini-review series on Th17 cells: development of mouse and human T helper 17 cells. Clin Exp Immunol. 2010;159:148-58 pubmed publisher..In this paper, we review the data regarding the generation of human Th17 cells in vitro and the evidence that this effector population is important in human disease states. ..
- Chen J, Deng Y, Zhao J, Luo Z, Peng W, Yang J, et al. The polymorphism of IL-17 G-152A was associated with childhood asthma and bacterial colonization of the hypopharynx in bronchiolitis. J Clin Immunol. 2010;30:539-45 pubmed publisher..We investigated the association between single-nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) of IL-17 (rs2275913, IL-17 G-152A) and asthma-related traits. Its effect on IL-17 production was also attractive...
- Vernal R, Dutzan N, Chaparro A, Puente J, Antonieta Valenzuela M, Gamonal J. Levels of interleukin-17 in gingival crevicular fluid and in supernatants of cellular cultures of gingival tissue from patients with chronic periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol. 2005;32:383-9 pubmed..001 and 0.003). The total amount of cytokine IL-17 in GCF samples and in the culture supernatants of gingival cells are significantly increased in periodontal disease. ..
- Kuang D, Peng C, Zhao Q, Wu Y, Zhu L, Wang J, et al. Tumor-activated monocytes promote expansion of IL-17-producing CD8+ T cells in hepatocellular carcinoma patients. J Immunol. 2010;185:1544-9 pubmed publisher..These data reveal an intriguing mechanism in which human Tc17 cells are generated by a fine-tuned collaborative action between different types of immune cells in distinct tumor microenvironments...
- Arif S, Moore F, Marks K, Bouckenooghe T, Dayan C, Planas R, et al. Peripheral and islet interleukin-17 pathway activation characterizes human autoimmune diabetes and promotes cytokine-mediated ?-cell death. Diabetes. 2011;60:2112-9 pubmed publisher..We disclose a novel pathway to ?-cell death involving IL-17 and STAT1 and NF-?B, rendering this cytokine a novel disease biomarker and potential therapeutic target. ..
- Kim S, Kim E, Moon C, Park J, Kim T, Kim W, et al. Genetic polymorphisms of IL-23R and IL-17A and novel insights into their associations with inflammatory bowel disease. Gut. 2011;60:1527-36 pubmed publisher..The results provide insights into the genetic and epigenetic interactions in the IL-23R/IL-17 axis that are associated with elevated expression of IL-17 and IBD pathogenesis. ..
- Rauen T, Hedrich C, Juang Y, Tenbrock K, Tsokos G. cAMP-responsive element modulator (CREM)? protein induces interleukin 17A expression and mediates epigenetic alterations at the interleukin-17A gene locus in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:43437-46 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate an extended role for CREM? in the immunopathogenesis of SLE because it contributes to increased expression of IL-17A. ..
- Zhang X, Yu P, Wang Y, Jiang W, Shen F, Wang Y, et al. Genetic polymorphisms of interleukin 17A and interleukin 17F and their association with inflammatory bowel disease in a Chinese Han population. Inflamm Res. 2013;62:743-50 pubmed publisher..The IL17A (rs2275913, G-197A) variant had a weak association with the severity of UC. There was a risk haplotype in IL17A which could increase the risk of UC. ..
- Turner Brannen E, Choi K, Arsenault R, El Gabalawy H, Napper S, Mookherjee N. Inflammatory cytokines IL-32 and IL-17 have common signaling intermediates despite differential dependence on TNF-receptor 1. J Immunol. 2011;186:7127-35 pubmed publisher..Therefore, p300 and DAPK-1 are viable potential therapeutic targets for chronic inflammatory diseases. ..
- Lin A, Rubin C, Khandpur R, Wang J, Riblett M, Yalavarthi S, et al. Mast cells and neutrophils release IL-17 through extracellular trap formation in psoriasis. J Immunol. 2011;187:490-500 pubmed publisher..Release of IL-17 from innate immune cells may be central to the pathogenesis of psoriasis, representing a fundamental mechanism by which the IL-23-IL-17 axis mediates host defense and autoimmunity. ..
- Kirshberg S, Izhar U, Amir G, Demma J, Vernea F, Beider K, et al. Involvement of CCR6/CCL20/IL-17 axis in NSCLC disease progression. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24856 pubmed publisher..CCR6 is identified as a potential new prognostic marker and the CCL20/CCR6/IL-17 axis as a potential new therapeutic target. Larger scale studies are required to consolidate these observations. ..
- Huang F, Kao C, Wachi S, Thai P, Ryu J, Wu R. Requirement for both JAK-mediated PI3K signaling and ACT1/TRAF6/TAK1-dependent NF-kappaB activation by IL-17A in enhancing cytokine expression in human airway epithelial cells. J Immunol. 2007;179:6504-13 pubmed
- Cheng G, Wei L, Xiurong W, Xiangzhen L, Shiguang Z, Songbin F. IL-17 stimulates migration of carotid artery vascular smooth muscle cells in an MMP-9 dependent manner via p38 MAPK and ERK1/2-dependent NF-kappaB and AP-1 activation. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2009;29:1161-8 pubmed publisher..The present results demonstrated that IL-17 may play a role in vascular remodeling and targeting IL-17 or its specific downstream mediators is a potentially novel therapeutic pathway for attenuating the post-angioplastic restenosis. ..
- Sebkova L, Pellicanò A, Monteleone G, Grazioli B, Guarnieri G, Imeneo M, et al. Extracellular signal-regulated protein kinase mediates interleukin 17 (IL-17)-induced IL-8 secretion in Helicobacter pylori-infected human gastric epithelial cells. Infect Immun. 2004;72:5019-26 pubmed..In H. pylori-colonized gastric epithelial cells, IL-17-induced IL-8 synthesis is associated with and depends at least in part on the activation of ERK 1/2 MAP kinase. ..
- Milner J, Brenchley J, Laurence A, Freeman A, Hill B, Elias K, et al. Impaired T(H)17 cell differentiation in subjects with autosomal dominant hyper-IgE syndrome. Nature. 2008;452:773-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data suggest that the inability to produce T(H)17 cells is a mechanism underlying the susceptibility to the recurrent infections commonly seen in HIES. ..
- Cosmi L, De Palma R, Santarlasci V, Maggi L, Capone M, Frosali F, et al. Human interleukin 17-producing cells originate from a CD161+CD4+ T cell precursor. J Exp Med. 2008;205:1903-16 pubmed publisher..These findings implicate CD161 as a novel surface marker for human Th17 cells and demonstrate the exclusive origin of these cells from a CD161(+)CD4(+) T cell progenitor. ..
- Huang H, Kim H, Chang E, Lee Z, Hwang S, Kim H, et al. IL-17 stimulates the proliferation and differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells: implications for bone remodeling. Cell Death Differ. 2009;16:1332-43 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these results, we suggest that IL-17 can function as a signal to induce extensive bone turnover by regulating hMSC recruitment, proliferation, motility, and differentiation. ..
- Yago T, Nanke Y, Ichikawa N, Kobashigawa T, Mogi M, Kamatani N, et al. IL-17 induces osteoclastogenesis from human monocytes alone in the absence of osteoblasts, which is potently inhibited by anti-TNF-alpha antibody: a novel mechanism of osteoclastogenesis by IL-17. J Cell Biochem. 2009;108:947-55 pubmed publisher..The present study clearly demonstrated the novel mechanism by which IL-17 directly induces osteoclastogenesis from human monocytes alone. In addition, infliximab potently inhibits the osteoclastogenesis directly induced by IL-17. ..
- Noordenbos T, Yeremenko N, Gofita I, van de Sande M, Tak P, Canete J, et al. Interleukin-17-positive mast cells contribute to synovial inflammation in spondylarthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2012;64:99-109 pubmed publisher..Recent observations have indicated a marked synovial mast cell infiltration in psoriatic SpA. We therefore undertook the present study to investigate the potential contribution of mast cells to synovial inflammation in SpA...
- Rouvier E, Luciani M, Mattei M, Denizot F, Golstein P. CTLA-8, cloned from an activated T cell, bearing AU-rich messenger RNA instability sequences, and homologous to a herpesvirus saimiri gene. J Immunol. 1993;150:5445-56 pubmed..More generally, CTLA-8 may belong to the growing set of virus-captured functionally important cellular genes related to the immune system or to cell death and cell survival...
- Steinman L. Mixed results with modulation of TH-17 cells in human autoimmune diseases. Nat Immunol. 2010;11:41-4 pubmed publisher..Thus far, these outcomes in human trials have been mixed, with notable success in psoriasis and Crohn's disease but a negative result in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. ..
- Kryczek I, Bruce A, Gudjonsson J, Johnston A, Aphale A, Vatan L, et al. Induction of IL-17+ T cell trafficking and development by IFN-gamma: mechanism and pathological relevance in psoriasis. J Immunol. 2008;181:4733-41 pubmed
- Zhao L, Tang Y, You Z, Wang Q, Liang S, Han X, et al. Interleukin-17 contributes to the pathogenesis of autoimmune hepatitis through inducing hepatic interleukin-6 expression. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e18909 pubmed publisher..Blocking the signaling pathway and interrupting the positive feedback loop are potential therapeutic targets for autoimmune hepatitis. ..
- Takahashi K, Azuma T, Motohira H, Kinane D, Kitetsu S. The potential role of interleukin-17 in the immunopathology of periodontal disease. J Clin Periodontol. 2005;32:369-74 pubmed..Thus, IL-17, together with other cytokines, has a potential role in the aetiopathogenesis of periodontal disease. ..
- Nguyen C, Hu M, Li Y, Stewart C, Peck A. Salivary gland tissue expression of interleukin-23 and interleukin-17 in Sjögren's syndrome: findings in humans and mice. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58:734-43 pubmed publisher..NOD-Aec1Aec2 mice and SS patients at the time of disease. A correlation between up-regulated IL-17/IL-23 expression and specific clinical manifestations of SS has yet to be identified. ..
- Di Cesare A, Di Meglio P, Nestle F. The IL-23/Th17 axis in the immunopathogenesis of psoriasis. J Invest Dermatol. 2009;129:1339-50 pubmed publisher..We further discuss recent clinical trials targeting the IL-23/Th17 axis in psoriasis. ..
- Fossiez F, Djossou O, Chomarat P, Flores Romo L, Ait Yahia S, Maat C, et al. T cell interleukin-17 induces stromal cells to produce proinflammatory and hematopoietic cytokines. J Exp Med. 1996;183:2593-603 pubmedAnalysis of the cDNA encoding murine interleukin (IL) 17 (cytotoxic T lymphocyte associated antigen 8) predicted a secreted protein sharing 57% amino acid identity with the protein predicted from ORF13, an open reading frame of ..
- Teunissen M, Koomen C, de Waal Malefyt R, Wierenga E, Bos J. Interleukin-17 and interferon-gamma synergize in the enhancement of proinflammatory cytokine production by human keratinocytes. J Invest Dermatol. 1998;111:645-9 pubmed
- Inoue D, Numasaki M, Watanabe M, Kubo H, Sasaki T, Yasuda H, et al. IL-17A promotes the growth of airway epithelial cells through ERK-dependent signaling pathway. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;347:852-8 pubmed..These findings provide the first evidence that IL-17A stimulates the growth of airway epithelial cells through the ERK MAP kinase pathway. ..
- Bullens D, Truyen E, Coteur L, Dilissen E, Hellings P, Dupont L, et al. IL-17 mRNA in sputum of asthmatic patients: linking T cell driven inflammation and granulocytic influx?. Respir Res. 2006;7:135 pubmed..The data suggest that Th17 cell infiltration in asthmatic airways links T cell activity with neutrophilic inflammation in asthma. ..
- Miyahara Y, Odunsi K, Chen W, Peng G, Matsuzaki J, Wang R. Generation and regulation of human CD4+ IL-17-producing T cells in ovarian cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:15505-10 pubmed publisher..These findings should accelerate efforts to define the function of this important subset of CD4(+) T cells in the human immune response to cancer. ..
- Mok M, Wu H, Lo Y, Lau C. The relation of interleukin 17 (IL-17) and IL-23 to Th1/Th2 cytokines and disease activity in systemic lupus erythematosus. J Rheumatol. 2010;37:2046-52 pubmed publisher..The lack of correlation between Th17, Th1, and Th2 cytokines suggested independent regulatory mechanisms for these cytokines. ..
- Shalom Barak T, Quach J, Lotz M. Interleukin-17-induced gene expression in articular chondrocytes is associated with activation of mitogen-activated protein kinases and NF-kappaB. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:27467-73 pubmed..These results suggest that IL-17 activation of chondrocytes is associated with and depends at least in part on the activation of MAP kinases and NF-kappaB. ..
- Zhou M, Yang B, Ma R, Wu C. Memory Th-17 cells specific for C. albicans are persistent in human peripheral blood. Immunol Lett. 2008;118:72-81 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that memory Th-17 cells are present in healthy individual PBMCs and some memory Th-17 cells might play an important role in the defense against the infections of fungi such as C. albicans. ..
- Jang W, Nam Y, Ahn Y, Lee S, Park S, Choe J, et al. Interleukin-17F gene polymorphisms in Korean patients with Behçet's disease. Rheumatol Int. 2008;29:173-8 pubmed publisher..985). The haplotypes, AG, and GG, have positive and inverse association with BD susceptibility (P<0.001 and P<0.001, respectively). These findings suggest that IL-17 gene SNPs may influence the susceptibility of BD. ..
- Lemmers A, Moreno C, Gustot T, Marechal R, Degré D, Demetter P, et al. The interleukin-17 pathway is involved in human alcoholic liver disease. Hepatology. 2009;49:646-57 pubmed publisher..In alcoholic hepatitis, liver infiltration with IL-17-secreting cell infiltrates is a key feature that might contribute to liver neutrophil recruitment. (Clinical trials number NCT00610597). ..
- Tahara T, Shibata T, Nakamura M, Yamashita H, Yoshioka D, Okubo M, et al. Effect of polymorphisms of IL-17A, -17F and MIF genes on CpG island hyper-methylation (CIHM) in the human gastric mucosa. Int J Mol Med. 2009;24:563-9 pubmed..Genetic polymorphisms of MIF-794-CATT repeat may be involved in methylation related carcinogenesis in the stomach. ..
- Yao Z, Painter S, Fanslow W, Ulrich D, Macduff B, Spriggs M, et al. Human IL-17: a novel cytokine derived from T cells. J Immunol. 1995;155:5483-6 pubmed..acid identity with HVS13, an open reading frame from a T-lymphotropic Herpesvirus saimiri, and 63% with murine CTLA8. High levels of hIL-17 were induced from primary peripheral blood CD4+ T cells upon stimulation...
- Singh S, Zhang H, Foley J, Hedrick M, Farber J. Human T cells that are able to produce IL-17 express the chemokine receptor CCR6. J Immunol. 2008;180:214-21 pubmed..Our data reveal a fundamental feature of IL-17-producing human T cells and a novel role for CCR6, suggesting both new directions for investigating IL-17-related immune responses and possible targets for preventing inflammatory injury. ..
- Zhang J, Yan J, Xu J, Pang X, Chen M, Li L, et al. Increased intratumoral IL-17-producing cells correlate with poor survival in hepatocellular carcinoma patients. J Hepatol. 2009;50:980-9 pubmed publisher..Accumulation of intratumoral IL-17-producing cells may promote tumor progression through fostering angiogenesis, and intratumoral IL-17-producing cell could serve as a potential prognostic marker and a novel therapeutic target for HCC. ..
- Shibata T, Tahara T, Hirata I, Arisawa T. Genetic polymorphism of interleukin-17A and -17F genes in gastric carcinogenesis. Hum Immunol. 2009;70:547-51 pubmed publisher..022). We concluded that G-197A polymorphism of IL-17A gene was significantly associated with the development of gastric cancer, especially intestinal-type cancer. ..
- Ji Y, Zhang W. Th17 cells: positive or negative role in tumor?. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2010;59:979-87 pubmed publisher..Finally, we note several issues in this research area that must be resolved before the design of novel therapeutic approaches specifically targeting Th17 cells in cancer become feasible. ..
- Song C, Luo L, Lei Z, Li B, Liang Z, Liu G, et al. IL-17-producing alveolar macrophages mediate allergic lung inflammation related to asthma. J Immunol. 2008;181:6117-24 pubmed..Mast cell-released mediators up-regulate the expression of IL-17 by macrophages, whereas IL-10 down-regulates IL-17 expression...
- Marwaha A, Crome S, Panagiotopoulos C, Berg K, Qin H, Ouyang Q, et al. Cutting edge: Increased IL-17-secreting T cells in children with new-onset type 1 diabetes. J Immunol. 2010;185:3814-8 pubmed publisher..Moreover, these T1D subjects had a higher proportion of both CD4(+) and CD8(+) T cells that secrete IL-17. The bias toward IL-17-secreting T cells in T1D suggests a role for this proinflammatory cytokine in the pathogenesis of disease. ..
- Appel H, Maier R, Wu P, Scheer R, Hempfing A, Kayser R, et al. Analysis of IL-17(+) cells in facet joints of patients with spondyloarthritis suggests that the innate immune pathway might be of greater relevance than the Th17-mediated adaptive immune response. Arthritis Res Ther. 2011;13:R95 pubmed publisher
- Faber T, Groen H, Welfing M, Jansen K, Bont L. Specific increase in local IL-17 production during recovery from primary RSV bronchiolitis. J Med Virol. 2012;84:1084-8 pubmed publisher..The role of IL-17 in the pathogenesis of RSV bronchiolitis is to be explored further. ..
- Doroudchi M, Saidi M, Malekzadeh M, Golmoghaddam H, Khezri A, Ghaderi A. Elevated IL-17A levels in early stages of bladder cancer regardless of smoking status. Future Oncol. 2013;9:295-304 pubmed publisher..013). IL-17A levels are elevated in some BC patients. IL-17A is an important factor in the inflammatory process during tumor progression, either as a defense mechanism or as a tumor-promoting factor. ..
- Mizuno T, Ando T, Nobata K, Tsuzuki T, Maeda O, Watanabe O, et al. Interleukin-17 levels in Helicobacter pylori-infected gastric mucosa and pathologic sequelae of colonization. World J Gastroenterol. 2005;11:6305-11 pubmed..IL-17 may play an important role in the inflammatory response to H pylori colonization, and may ultimately influence the outcome of H pylori-associated diseases that arise within the context of gastritis. ..
- Vanaudenaerde B, De Vleeschauwer S, Vos R, Meyts I, Bullens D, Reynders V, et al. The role of the IL23/IL17 axis in bronchiolitis obliterans syndrome after lung transplantation. Am J Transplant. 2008;8:1911-20 pubmed publisher..The upstream T(H)17 skewing (TGF-beta/IL1beta/IL6/IL23), T(H)17 counteracting (IL2), T(H)17 effector cytokine (IL17) and the principal neutrophil-attracting chemokine (IL8), were quantified at the mRNA or protein level in ..
- Crispin J, Oukka M, Bayliss G, Cohen R, Van Beek C, Stillman I, et al. Expanded double negative T cells in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus produce IL-17 and infiltrate the kidneys. J Immunol. 2008;181:8761-6 pubmed..Our findings establish that DN T cells produce the inflammatory cytokines IL-17 and IFN-gamma, and suggest that they contribute to the pathogenesis of kidney damage in patients with SLE. ..
- Moran E, Heydrich R, Ng C, Saber T, McCormick J, Sieper J, et al. IL-17A expression is localised to both mononuclear and polymorphonuclear synovial cell infiltrates. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24048 pubmed publisher..This study examines the expression of IL-17A-secreting cells within the inflamed synovium and the relationship to in vivo joint hypoxia measurements...
- Zhou P, Sha H, Zhu J. The role of T-helper 17 (Th17) cells in patients with medulloblastoma. J Int Med Res. 2010;38:611-9 pubmed..The results indicate that Th17 cells may contribute to medulloblastoma pathogenesis...
- Silverpil E, Glader P, Hansson M, Linden A. Impact of interleukin-17 on macrophage phagocytosis of apoptotic neutrophils and particles. Inflammation. 2011;34:1-9 pubmed publisher..Importantly, IL-17 also stimulates the phagocytosis of latex beads in human monocyte-derived macrophages. Thus, IL-17 bears the potential to control both phagocytosis and neutrophil turnover during activation of host defense. ..
- Maertzdorf J, Osterhaus A, Verjans G. IL-17 expression in human herpetic stromal keratitis: modulatory effects on chemokine production by corneal fibroblasts. J Immunol. 2002;169:5897-903 pubmed
- Wright J, Bennett F, Li B, Brooks J, Luxenberg D, Whitters M, et al. The human IL-17F/IL-17A heterodimeric cytokine signals through the IL-17RA/IL-17RC receptor complex. J Immunol. 2008;181:2799-805 pubmed..However, the distinct affinities of the receptor components for IL-17A, IL-17F, and IL-17F/IL-17A heterodimer can be exploited to differentially affect the activity of these cytokines. ..
- Iida T, Iwahashi M, Katsuda M, Ishida K, Nakamori M, Nakamura M, et al. Tumor-infiltrating CD4+ Th17 cells produce IL-17 in tumor microenvironment and promote tumor progression in human gastric cancer. Oncol Rep. 2011;25:1271-7 pubmed publisher..IL-17 and IL-21, which regulates IL-17, would be potential therapeutic targets for the treatment of gastric cancer. ..
- Zhang X, Zheng H, Zhang H, Ma W, Wang F, Liu C, et al. Increased interleukin (IL)-8 and decreased IL-17 production in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) provoked by cigarette smoke. Cytokine. 2011;56:717-25 pubmed publisher..Increased IL-8 (a proinflammatory cytokine) secretion and decreased IL-17 (a protective cytokine of airways) release can both contribute to development of COPD. ..
- Hayashi R, Tahara T, Shiroeda H, Matsue Y, Minato T, Nomura T, et al. Association of genetic polymorphisms in IL17A and IL17F with gastro-duodenal diseases. J Gastrointestin Liver Dis. 2012;21:243-9 pubmed..In addition, this allele is also associated with the increased risk for peptic ulcer in NSAIDs/aspirin users. ..
- Kagami S, Rizzo H, Lee J, Koguchi Y, Blauvelt A. Circulating Th17, Th22, and Th1 cells are increased in psoriasis. J Invest Dermatol. 2010;130:1373-83 pubmed publisher..In summary, elevated numbers of circulating inflammatory T cells may contribute to cutaneous inflammation and systemic inflammatory disease that occurs in individuals with psoriasis. ..
- Prabhala R, Pelluru D, Fulciniti M, Prabhala H, Nanjappa P, Song W, et al. Elevated IL-17 produced by TH17 cells promotes myeloma cell growth and inhibits immune function in multiple myeloma. Blood. 2010;115:5385-92 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, IL-17-producing T(h)17 cells play an important role in MM pathobiology and may be an important therapeutic target for anti-MM activity and to improve immune function. ..
- Brodlie M, McKean M, Johnson G, Anderson A, Hilkens C, Fisher A, et al. Raised interleukin-17 is immunolocalised to neutrophils in cystic fibrosis lung disease. Eur Respir J. 2011;37:1378-85 pubmed publisher..IL-17 increases production of pro-neutrophilic mediators by CF epithelial cells, suggesting potential for a positive feedback element in airway inflammation. ..
- Truchetet M, Brembilla N, Montanari E, Allanore Y, Chizzolini C. Increased frequency of circulating Th22 in addition to Th17 and Th2 lymphocytes in systemic sclerosis: association with interstitial lung disease. Arthritis Res Ther. 2011;13:R166 pubmed publisher..While the association between IL-22 producing cells and ILD needs to be assessed in larger cohorts of patients, the increased frequency of Th22 cells appears to be a useful novel biomarker in SSc. ..
- Steiner G, Newman M, Paikl D, Stix U, Memaran Dagda N, Lee C, et al. Expression and function of pro-inflammatory interleukin IL-17 and IL-17 receptor in normal, benign hyperplastic, and malignant prostate. Prostate. 2003;56:171-82 pubmed..A clinical relevance of increased IL-17 expression under pathological conditions is suggested by the demonstration of significant upregulation of IL-6 and IL-8 production of prostatic SC by IL-17. ..
- de Beaucoudrey L, Puel A, Filipe Santos O, Cobat A, Ghandil P, Chrabieh M, et al. Mutations in STAT3 and IL12RB1 impair the development of human IL-17-producing T cells. J Exp Med. 2008;205:1543-50 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that IL-12Rbeta1- and STAT-3--dependent signals play a key role in the differentiation and/or expansion of human IL-17-producing T cell populations in vivo. ..
- Shah K, Lee W, Lee S, Kim S, Kang S, Craft J, et al. Dysregulated balance of Th17 and Th1 cells in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Res Ther. 2010;12:R53 pubmed publisher..We suggest that CCR4 and CCR6 expression on CD4(+) T cells should be considered as markers of disease activity, and that IL-17 blocking may offer a therapeutic target in SLE. ..
- Rosu A, Mărgăritescu C, Stepan A, Muşetescu A, Ene M. IL-17 patterns in synovium, serum and synovial fluid from treatment-naïve, early rheumatoid arthritis patients. Rom J Morphol Embryol. 2012;53:73-80 pubmed
- Andoh A, Takaya H, Makino J, Sato H, Bamba S, Araki Y, et al. Cooperation of interleukin-17 and interferon-gamma on chemokine secretion in human fetal intestinal epithelial cells. Clin Exp Immunol. 2001;125:56-63 pubmed..The combination of IL-17 with IFN-gamma synergistically enhanced chemokine secretion. These effects of IL-17 and IFN-gamma might play an important role in the inflammatory responses in the intestinal mucosa. ..
- Liang S, Tan X, Luxenberg D, Karim R, Dunussi Joannopoulos K, Collins M, et al. Interleukin (IL)-22 and IL-17 are coexpressed by Th17 cells and cooperatively enhance expression of antimicrobial peptides. J Exp Med. 2006;203:2271-9 pubmed..Collectively, we have identified IL-22 as a new cytokine expressed by Th17 cells that synergizes with IL-17A or IL-17F to regulate genes associated with skin innate immunity. ..