Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: IL-17
Description: interleukin 17A
Alias: CTLA-8, CTLA8, IL-17, IL-17A, IL17, interleukin-17A, cytotoxic T-lymphocyte-associated antigen 8, cytotoxic T-lymphocyte-associated protein 8, interleukin 17 (cytotoxic T-lymphocyte-associated serine esterase 8)
Publications182 found, 100 shown here
- Sakai A, Sugawara Y, Kuroishi T, Sasano T, Sugawara S. Identification of IL-18 and Th17 cells in salivary glands of patients with Sjögren's syndrome, and amplification of IL-17-mediated secretion of inflammatory cytokines from salivary gland cells by IL-18. J Immunol. 2008;181:2898-906 pubmed..These results suggest that IL-18 and Th17 cells detected in the salivary glands in SS patients are associated with the pathogenesis of SS in the salivary glands. ..
- Laan M, Cui Z, Hoshino H, Lotvall J, Sjostrand M, Gruenert D, et al. Neutrophil recruitment by human IL-17 via C-X-C chemokine release in the airways. J Immunol. 1999;162:2347-52 pubmed
- McAllister F, Henry A, Kreindler J, Dubin P, Ulrich L, Steele C, et al. Role of IL-17A, IL-17F, and the IL-17 receptor in regulating growth-related oncogene-alpha and granulocyte colony-stimulating factor in bronchial epithelium: implications for airway inflammation in cystic fibrosis. J Immunol. 2005;175:404-12 pubmed..aeruginosa. IL-23 and the downstream cytokines IL-17A and IL-17F are critical molecules for proinflammatory gene expression in HBE cells and are likely involved in the proinflammatory cytokine network involved with CF pathogenesis. ..
- Adamik J, Henkel M, Ray A, Auron P, Duerr R, Barrie A. The IL17A and IL17F loci have divergent histone modifications and are differentially regulated by prostaglandin E2 in Th17 cells. Cytokine. 2013;64:404-12 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the chromatin for IL17A and IL17F are distinctly regulated, which may play an important role in mucosal health and disease. ..
- Wong C, Lit L, Tam L, Li E, Wong P, Lam C. Hyperproduction of IL-23 and IL-17 in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: implications for Th17-mediated inflammation in auto-immunity. Clin Immunol. 2008;127:385-93 pubmed publisher..05). Ex vivo inductions of IL-17 by IL-23 or IL-18 from co-stimulated lymphocytes were significantly higher in SLE patients than controls (all p<0.05). The activated IL-23/IL-17 axis is important for the inflammatory immunity in SLE. ..
- Miyagaki T, Sugaya M, Suga H, Kamata M, Ohmatsu H, Fujita H, et al. IL-22, but not IL-17, dominant environment in cutaneous T-cell lymphoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2011;17:7529-38 pubmed publisher..Relatively low expression of IL-17 may explain the lack of neutrophils in lesions of CTCL, which correlates with bacterial infections that commonly occur in skin affected by CTCL. ..
- Burlingham W, Love R, Jankowska Gan E, Haynes L, Xu Q, Bobadilla J, et al. IL-17-dependent cellular immunity to collagen type V predisposes to obliterative bronchiolitis in human lung transplants. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:3498-506 pubmed..These data suggest that while alloimmunity initiates lung transplant rejection, de novo autoimmunity mediated by col(V)-specific Th17 cells and monocyte/macrophage accessory cells ultimately causes progressive airway obliteration. ..
- Kotake S, Udagawa N, Takahashi N, Matsuzaki K, Itoh K, Ishiyama S, et al. IL-17 in synovial fluids from patients with rheumatoid arthritis is a potent stimulator of osteoclastogenesis. J Clin Invest. 1999;103:1345-52 pubmed
- Eastaff Leung N, Mabarrack N, Barbour A, Cummins A, Barry S. Foxp3+ regulatory T cells, Th17 effector cells, and cytokine environment in inflammatory bowel disease. J Clin Immunol. 2010;30:80-9 pubmed publisher..IBD is associated with a reduced ratio of Treg to Th17 cells in peripheral blood and is characterized by a proinflammatory cytokine microenvironment, which supports the continued generation of Th17 cells. ..
- Jadidi Niaragh F, Ghalamfarsa G, Memarian A, Asgarian Omran H, Razavi S, Sarrafnejad A, et al. Downregulation of IL-17-producing T cells is associated with regulatory T cell expansion and disease progression in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Tumour Biol. 2013;34:929-40 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that progression of CLL is associated with downregulation of IL-17-producing T cells and expansion of Treg cells, implying contribution of these subsets of T cells in the progression of CLL. ..
- Charles K, Kulbe H, Soper R, Escorcio Correia M, Lawrence T, Schultheis A, et al. The tumor-promoting actions of TNF-alpha involve TNFR1 and IL-17 in ovarian cancer in mice and humans. J Clin Invest. 2009;119:3011-23 pubmed publisher..We conclude that chronic production of TNF-alpha in the tumor microenvironment increases myeloid cell recruitment in an IL-17-dependent manner that contributes to the tumor-promoting action of this proinflammatory cytokine. ..
- Acosta Rodriguez E, Rivino L, Geginat J, Jarrossay D, Gattorno M, Lanzavecchia A, et al. Surface phenotype and antigenic specificity of human interleukin 17-producing T helper memory cells. Nat Immunol. 2007;8:639-46 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that human T(H)-17 cells have distinct migratory capacity and antigenic specificities and establish a link between microbial products, T helper cell differentiation and homing in response to fungal antigens. ..
- Bovenschen H, van de Kerkhof P, van Erp P, Woestenenk R, Joosten I, Koenen H. Foxp3+ regulatory T cells of psoriasis patients easily differentiate into IL-17A-producing cells and are found in lesional skin. J Invest Dermatol. 2011;131:1853-60 pubmed publisher..These data stress the clinical relevance of Treg differentiation for the perpetuation of chronic inflammatory disease and may pave novel ways for immunotherapy. ..
- Arisawa T, Tahara T, Shibata T, Nagasaka M, Nakamura M, Kamiya Y, et al. The influence of polymorphisms of interleukin-17A and interleukin-17F genes on the susceptibility to ulcerative colitis. J Clin Immunol. 2008;28:44-9 pubmed..Our results provided the first evidence that -197A (IL-17A) and 7488T (IL-17F) alleles may influence the susceptibility to and pathophysiological features of UC independently. ..
- Chen X, Wan J, Liu J, Xie W, Diao X, Xu J, et al. Increased IL-17-producing cells correlate with poor survival and lymphangiogenesis in NSCLC patients. Lung Cancer. 2010;69:348-54 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that IL-17 may play a role in the metastasis of lung cancer by promoting lymphangiogenesis. IL-17 expression is an independent prognostic factor in both overall and disease-free survival in NSCLC. ..
- Tzartos J, Friese M, Craner M, Palace J, Newcombe J, Esiri M, et al. Interleukin-17 production in central nervous system-infiltrating T cells and glial cells is associated with active disease in multiple sclerosis. Am J Pathol. 2008;172:146-55 pubmed
- Shin H, Benbernou N, Fekkar H, Esnault S, Guenounou M. Regulation of IL-17, IFN-gamma and IL-10 in human CD8(+) T cells by cyclic AMP-dependent signal transduction pathway. Cytokine. 1998;10:841-50 pubmed
- Pongcharoen S, Niumsup P, Sanguansermsri D, Supalap K, Butkhamchot P. The effect of interleukin-17 on the proliferation and invasion of JEG-3 human choriocarcinoma cells. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2006;55:291-300 pubmed..In this JEG-3 cell model of human trophoblast, the IL-17R and IL-17 may have a regulatory role in trophoblast invasion. ..
- Yapici U, Kers J, Bemelman F, Roelofs J, Groothoff J, van der Loos C, et al. Interleukin-17 positive cells accumulate in renal allografts during acute rejection and are independent predictors of worse graft outcome. Transpl Int. 2011;24:1008-17 pubmed publisher..We conclude that intragraft IL-17(+) cell count during acute allograft rejection could have an additional value for predicting late graft dysfunction. ..
- Lemancewicz D, Bolkun L, Jablonska E, Czeczuga Semeniuk E, Kostur A, Kloczko J, et al. The role of Interleukin-17A and Interleukin-17E in multiple myeloma patients. Med Sci Monit. 2012;18:BR54-59 pubmed..Recent studies reported elevated levels of interleukin 17A (IL-17A) in the sera of patients with advanced stages according to Durie-Salmon classification...
- Yao Z, Spriggs M, Derry J, Strockbine L, Park L, Vandenbos T, et al. Molecular characterization of the human interleukin (IL)-17 receptor. Cytokine. 1997;9:794-800 pubmed..Binding studies suggest that recombinant hIL-17 binds to the hIL-17R with low affinity. ..
- Crome S, Wang A, Levings M. Translational mini-review series on Th17 cells: function and regulation of human T helper 17 cells in health and disease. Clin Exp Immunol. 2010;159:109-19 pubmed publisher..Herein, we will discuss the molecular and cellular regulation of Th17 cells with an emphasis on studies in humans...
- Aggarwal S, Ghilardi N, Xie M, De Sauvage F, Gurney A. Interleukin-23 promotes a distinct CD4 T cell activation state characterized by the production of interleukin-17. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:1910-4 pubmed..These data suggest that during a secondary immune response, IL-23 can promote an activation state with features distinct from the well characterized Th1 and Th2 profiles. ..
- Goldberg M, Nadiv O, Luknar Gabor N, Agar G, Beer Y, Katz Y. Synergism between tumor necrosis factor alpha and interleukin-17 to induce IL-23 p19 expression in fibroblast-like synoviocytes. Mol Immunol. 2009;46:1854-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, FLS are potently regulated by inflammatory cytokines to specifically express IL-23 p19. Additional byproducts of the inflammatory milieu may be required for the generation and secretion of bioactive IL-23. ..
- Adamopoulos I, Chao C, Geissler R, LaFace D, Blumenschein W, Iwakura Y, et al. Interleukin-17A upregulates receptor activator of NF-kappaB on osteoclast precursors. Arthritis Res Ther. 2010;12:R29 pubmed publisher..Collectively our data demonstrate anti-IL-17A treatment as a selective therapeutic target for bone loss associated with autoimmune diseases. ..
- Wainwright D, Sengupta S, Han Y, Ulasov I, Lesniak M. The presence of IL-17A and T helper 17 cells in experimental mouse brain tumors and human glioma. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15390 pubmed publisher..These data confirm the presence of Th17 cells in glia-derived CNS tumors and provide the rationale for further investigation into the role of Th17 cells in malignant glioma. ..
- Saleh A, Shan L, Halayko A, Kung S, Gounni A. Critical role for STAT3 in IL-17A-mediated CCL11 expression in human airway smooth muscle cells. J Immunol. 2009;182:3357-65 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results raise the possibility that the IL-17A/STAT3 signaling pathway may play a crucial role in airway inflammatory responses. ..
- Zhao X, Pan H, Yuan H, Zhang W, Li X, Wang G, et al. Increased serum interleukin 17 in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Mol Biol Rep. 2010;37:81-5 pubmed publisher..However, no associations of serum IL-17 level with disease manifestations were found. Therefore, further studies are required to confirm this preliminary data. ..
- Laan M, Palmberg L, Larsson K, Linden A. Free, soluble interleukin-17 protein during severe inflammation in human airways. Eur Respir J. 2002;19:534-7 pubmed..The significance of interleukin-17 in inflammatory airway diseases therefore deserves further evaluation. ..
- Ma C, Chew G, Simpson N, Priyadarshi A, Wong M, Grimbacher B, et al. Deficiency of Th17 cells in hyper IgE syndrome due to mutations in STAT3. J Exp Med. 2008;205:1551-7 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, they underscore the importance of Th17 responses in normal host defense against the common pathogens S. aureus and C. albicans. ..
- Roussel L, Houle F, Chan C, Yao Y, Berube J, Olivenstein R, et al. IL-17 promotes p38 MAPK-dependent endothelial activation enhancing neutrophil recruitment to sites of inflammation. J Immunol. 2010;184:4531-7 pubmed publisher..Therefore, preventing neutrophil recruitment by blocking the action of IL-17 on endothelial cells may prove to be highly beneficial in diseases in which neutrophilic inflammation plays a key role. ..
- Krueger J, Fretzin S, Suárez Fariñas M, Haslett P, Phipps K, Cameron G, et al. IL-17A is essential for cell activation and inflammatory gene circuits in subjects with psoriasis. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2012;130:145-54.e9 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that IL-17 is a key "driver" cytokine that activates pathogenic inflammation in subjects with psoriasis. Neutralizing IL-17 with ixekizumab might be a successful therapeutic strategy in psoriasis. ..
- Eid R, Rao D, Zhou J, Lo S, Ranjbaran H, Gallo A, et al. Interleukin-17 and interferon-gamma are produced concomitantly by human coronary artery-infiltrating T cells and act synergistically on vascular smooth muscle cells. Circulation. 2009;119:1424-32 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that IL-17 is produced concomitantly with IFN-gamma by coronary artery-infiltrating T cells and that these cytokines act synergistically to induce proinflammatory responses in vascular smooth muscle cells. ..
- Johnson R, Wood N, Serio F. Interleukin-11 and IL-17 and the pathogenesis of periodontal disease. J Periodontol. 2004;75:37-43 pubmed..These data may be useful for the design of procedures for prevention of periodontal disease. ..
- Coury F, Annels N, Rivollier A, Olsson S, Santoro A, Speziani C, et al. Langerhans cell histiocytosis reveals a new IL-17A-dependent pathway of dendritic cell fusion. Nat Med. 2008;14:81-7 pubmed..Notably, serum IL-17A-dependent fusion activity correlates with LCH activity. Thus, IL-17A and IL-17A-stimulated DCs represent targets that may have clinical value in the treatment of LCH and other IL-17A-related inflammatory disorders. ..
- Afzali B, Mitchell P, Lechler R, John S, Lombardi G. Translational mini-review series on Th17 cells: induction of interleukin-17 production by regulatory T cells. Clin Exp Immunol. 2010;159:120-30 pubmed publisher..In this paper, we review T(reg) to Th17 conversion and propose some potential mechanisms for this phenomenon. ..
- Koenen H, Smeets R, Vink P, van Rijssen E, Boots A, Joosten I. Human CD25highFoxp3pos regulatory T cells differentiate into IL-17-producing cells. Blood. 2008;112:2340-52 pubmed publisher..Thus, the data suggest that epigenetic modification underlies the phenomenon of Treg plasticity here described. ..
- Moran E, Mullan R, McCormick J, Connolly M, Sullivan O, Fitzgerald O, et al. Human rheumatoid arthritis tissue production of IL-17A drives matrix and cartilage degradation: synergy with tumour necrosis factor-alpha, Oncostatin M and response to biologic therapies. Arthritis Res Ther. 2009;11:R113 pubmed publisher..IL-17A levels are modulated in vivo, following anti-TNF therapy, and may reflect changes in matrix turnover. ..
- Chang Y, Nadigel J, Boulais N, Bourbeau J, Maltais F, Eidelman D, et al. CD8 positive T cells express IL-17 in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Respir Res. 2011;12:43 pubmed publisher..These findings support the notion that Th17 cytokines could play important roles in the pathogenesis of COPD, raising the possibility of using this mechanism as the basis for novel therapeutic approaches. ..
- Lu Y, Gross J, Bogaert D, Finn A, Bagrade L, Zhang Q, et al. Interleukin-17A mediates acquired immunity to pneumococcal colonization. PLoS Pathog. 2008;4:e1000159 pubmed publisher..We conclude that IL-17A mediates pneumococcal immunity in mice and probably in humans; its elicitation in vitro could help in the development of candidate pneumococcal vaccines. ..
- Gu F, Li Q, Gao Q, Jiang J, Zhu K, Huang X, et al. IL-17 induces AKT-dependent IL-6/JAK2/STAT3 activation and tumor progression in hepatocellular carcinoma. Mol Cancer. 2011;10:150 pubmed publisher..IL-17 mediated tumor-promoting role involves a direct effect on HCC cells through IL-6/JAK2/STAT3 induction by activating the AKT pathway. ..
- Radstake T, van Bon L, Broen J, Hussiani A, Hesselstrand R, Wuttge D, et al. The pronounced Th17 profile in systemic sclerosis (SSc) together with intracellular expression of TGFbeta and IFNgamma distinguishes SSc phenotypes. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5903 pubmed publisher..Blocking Th17 inducing cytokines such as IL-6 and IL-23 may provide a useful tool to intervene in the progression of SSc. ..
- Dhodapkar K, Barbuto S, Matthews P, Kukreja A, Mazumder A, Vesole D, et al. Dendritic cells mediate the induction of polyfunctional human IL17-producing cells (Th17-1 cells) enriched in the bone marrow of patients with myeloma. Blood. 2008;112:2878-85 pubmed publisherb>IL17-producing (Th17) cells are a distinct lineage of T helper cells that regulate immunity and inflammation. The role of antigen-presenting cells in the induction of Th17 cells in humans remains to be fully defined...
- Yin Y, Wen S, Li G, Wang D. Hypoxia enhances stimulating effect of amyloid beta peptide (25-35) for interleukin 17 and T helper lymphocyte subtype 17 upregulation in cultured peripheral blood mononuclear cells. Microbiol Immunol. 2009;53:281-6 pubmed publisher..001). This study provides the first report that IL-17A and Th17 lymphocytes are possibly involved in the immune pathogenesis caused by Abeta peptide (25-35). Hypoxia may enhance this response independently of time. ..
- van den Berg A, Kuiper M, Snoek M, Timens W, Postma D, Jansen H, et al. Interleukin-17 induces hyperresponsive interleukin-8 and interleukin-6 production to tumor necrosis factor-alpha in structural lung cells. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2005;33:97-104 pubmed..This poses the interesting concept that by releasing IL-17 from memory T cells, the adaptive immune system instructs lung structural cells as part of the innate immune system to respond more vigorously. ..
- Datta S, Novotny M, Pavicic P, Zhao C, Herjan T, Hartupee J, et al. IL-17 regulates CXCL1 mRNA stability via an AUUUA/tristetraprolin-independent sequence. J Immunol. 2010;184:1484-91 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that IL-17-mediated chemokine mRNA stabilization in nonmyeloid cells uses a mechanism that is distinct from that operating to control AU-rich mRNA stability in myeloid cells. ..
- Lubberts E, Koenders M, van den Berg W. The role of T-cell interleukin-17 in conducting destructive arthritis: lessons from animal models. Arthritis Res Ther. 2005;7:29-37 pubmed..Anti-IL-17 cytokine therapy is of interest as an additional new anti-rheumatic strategy for RA, in particular in situations in which elevated IL-17 might attenuate the response to anti-TNF/anti-IL-1 therapy. ..
- Zhu X, Mulcahy L, Mohammed R, Lee A, Franks H, Kilpatrick L, et al. IL-17 expression by breast-cancer-associated macrophages: IL-17 promotes invasiveness of breast cancer cell lines. Breast Cancer Res. 2008;10:R95 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, this work identifies a novel potential mechanism for breast cancer invasion and tumour progression, the prognostic implication of which is currently under investigation. ..
- Islander U, Andersson A, Lindberg E, Adlerberth I, Wold A, Rudin A. Superantigenic Staphylococcus aureus stimulates production of interleukin-17 from memory but not naive T cells. Infect Immun. 2010;78:381-6 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that superantigenic S. aureus are particularly efficient in stimulating IL-17 production and that the cytokine is produced from memory T cells. ..
- Mei Y, Pan F, Gao J, Ge R, Duan Z, Zeng Z, et al. Increased serum IL-17 and IL-23 in the patient with ankylosing spondylitis. Clin Rheumatol. 2011;30:269-73 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate increased serum IL-17 and IL-23 levels in AS patients, suggesting that this two cytokine may play critical roles in the pathogenesis of AS. Therefore, further studies are required to confirm this preliminary data. ..
- Wu X, Zeng Z, Chen B, Yu J, Xue L, Hao Y, et al. Association between polymorphisms in interleukin-17A and interleukin-17F genes and risks of gastric cancer. Int J Cancer. 2010;127:86-92 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that polymorphism of IL-17F 7488 involved in susceptibility to gastric cancer, which also influenced certain subtypes according to clinicopathological features, whereas IL-17A 197 may be less relevant. ..
- Yang S, Wang B, Guan C, Wu B, Cai C, Wang M, et al. Foxp3+IL-17+ T cells promote development of cancer-initiating cells in colorectal cancer. J Leukoc Biol. 2011;89:85-91 pubmed publisher..High levels of phosphorylated Akt and MAPK were detected in the induced cancer-initiation cells; the latter has the capability to form a colony. CRC tissue-derived Foxp3+IL-17+ cells have the capacity to induce cancer-initiating cells. ..
- Moreira Teixeira L, Resende M, Coffre M, Devergne O, Herbeuval J, Hermine O, et al. Proinflammatory environment dictates the IL-17-producing capacity of human invariant NKT cells. J Immunol. 2011;186:5758-65 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, IL-17 production by human iNKT cells depends on two critical parameters, namely an intrinsic program and a proinflammatory environment. ..
- Furuya T, Hakoda M, Ichikawa N, Higami K, Nanke Y, Yago T, et al. Associations between HLA-DRB1, RANK, RANKL, OPG, and IL-17 genotypes and disease severity phenotypes in Japanese patients with early rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Rheumatol. 2007;26:2137-2141 pubmed publisher..In addition, SNPs in RANKL and IL-17 may be associated with radiographic progression in Japanese patients with early RA. ..
- Kim E, Kim S, Moon C, Park J, Kim T, Kim W, et al. Interactions between IL17A, IL23R, and STAT4 polymorphisms confer susceptibility to intestinal Behcet's disease in Korean population. Life Sci. 2012;90:740-6 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the interaction of specific IL17A, IL23R, and STAT4 SNPs modulate susceptibility to intestinal BD in the Korean population, suggesting that the IL-17/23 axis plays a significant role in disease pathogenesis. ..
- Cui G, Yuan A, Goll R, Florholmen J. IL-17A in the tumor microenvironment of the human colorectal adenoma-carcinoma sequence. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2012;47:1304-12 pubmed publisher..In addition, the quantitative real-time PCR result has also revealed an increased expression of TH17-stimulating factors throughout the sequence. IL-17A and TH17 are highly activated throughout the colorectal adenoma-carcinoma sequence. ..
- Annunziato F, Cosmi L, Santarlasci V, Maggi L, Liotta F, Mazzinghi B, et al. Phenotypic and functional features of human Th17 cells. J Exp Med. 2007;204:1849-61 pubmed
- Nam J, Terabe M, Kang M, Chae H, Voong N, Yang Y, et al. Transforming growth factor beta subverts the immune system into directly promoting tumor growth through interleukin-17. Cancer Res. 2008;68:3915-23 pubmed publisher..Thus, in addition to suppressing immune surveillance, tumor-induced TGF-beta may actively subvert the CD8+ arm of the immune system into directly promoting tumor growth by an IL-17-dependent mechanism. ..
- Wang L, Chen S, Xu K. IL-17 expression is correlated with hepatitis B?related liver diseases and fibrosis. Int J Mol Med. 2011;27:385-92 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal important roles of IL-17 and IL-17-producing cells in the progression of HBV related chronic liver diseases, especially in the formation of liver fibrosis. ..
- Niebuhr M, Gathmann M, Scharonow H, Mamerow D, Mommert S, Balaji H, et al. Staphylococcal alpha-toxin is a strong inducer of interleukin-17 in humans. Infect Immun. 2011;79:1615-22 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, higher levels of IL-17A secretion induced by alpha-toxin in the skin partially explain how colonization with S. aureus can contribute to chronic skin inflammation. ..
- Li J, Lau G, Chen L, Dong S, Lan H, Huang X, et al. Interleukin 17A promotes hepatocellular carcinoma metastasis via NF-kB induced matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9 expression. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21816 pubmed publisher..IL-17A could promote HCC metastasis by the upregulation of MMP2 and MMP9 expression via activating NF-?B signaling pathway. ..
- Leppkes M, Becker C, Ivanov I, Hirth S, Wirtz S, Neufert C, et al. RORgamma-expressing Th17 cells induce murine chronic intestinal inflammation via redundant effects of IL-17A and IL-17F. Gastroenterology. 2009;136:257-67 pubmed publisher..Reagents that target RORgamma or a combination of anti-IL-17A and anti-IL-17F might be developed as therapeutics for chronic colitis. ..
- Kadkhodazadeh M, Baghani Z, Ebadian A, Youssefi N, Mehdizadeh A, Azimi N. IL-17 gene polymorphism is associated with chronic periodontitis and peri-implantitis in Iranian patients: a cross-sectional study. Immunol Invest. 2013;42:156-63 pubmed publisher..00). The CC genotype of IL17 polymorphism (rs10484879) may contribute to the pathogenesis of peri-implantitis and periodontitis...
- Liu X, Lin X, Gaffen S. Crucial role for nuclear factor of activated T cells in T cell receptor-mediated regulation of human interleukin-17. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:52762-71 pubmed..Together, these data show that NFAT is the crucial sensor of TCR signaling in the IL-17 promoter. ..
- Agarwal S, Misra R, Aggarwal A. Interleukin 17 levels are increased in juvenile idiopathic arthritis synovial fluid and induce synovial fibroblasts to produce proinflammatory cytokines and matrix metalloproteinases. J Rheumatol. 2008;35:515-9 pubmed..However, there was no effect on the production of TIMP. Increased IL-17 levels in ERA SF correlate with disease activity and this may be due to increased production of MMP and cytokines by IL-17. ..
- Wang X, Lin Z, Wei Q, Jiang Y, Gu J. Expression of IL-23 and IL-17 and effect of IL-23 on IL-17 production in ankylosing spondylitis. Rheumatol Int. 2009;29:1343-7 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that IL-23 and IL-17 may play critical roles in the pathogenesis of AS and IL-23-stimulated production of IL-17 by PBMCs may be responsible for the development of AS. ..
- Nistala K, Moncrieffe H, Newton K, Varsani H, Hunter P, Wedderburn L. Interleukin-17-producing T cells are enriched in the joints of children with arthritis, but have a reciprocal relationship to regulatory T cell numbers. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58:875-87 pubmed publisher..We suggest that these highly proinflammatory cells contribute to joint pathology, as indicated by relationships with clinical phenotypes, and that the balance between IL-17+ T cells and Treg cells may be critical to outcome. ..
- Voo K, Wang Y, Santori F, Boggiano C, Wang Y, Arima K, et al. Identification of IL-17-producing FOXP3+ regulatory T cells in humans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:4793-8 pubmed publisher..IL-17-producing Treg cells may play critical roles in antimicrobial defense, while controlling autoimmunity and inflammation. ..
- Ely L, Fischer S, Garcia K. Structural basis of receptor sharing by interleukin 17 cytokines. Nat Immunol. 2009;10:1245-51 pubmed publisher..IL-17RA used a common recognition strategy to bind to several members of the IL-17 family, which allows it to potentially act as a shared receptor in multiple different signaling complexes. ..
- Pickens S, Volin M, Mandelin A, Kolls J, Pope R, Shahrara S. IL-17 contributes to angiogenesis in rheumatoid arthritis. J Immunol. 2010;184:3233-41 pubmed publisher..These observations identify a novel function for IL-17 as an angiogenic mediator in RA, supporting IL-17 as a therapeutic target in RA. ..
- Frisullo G, Nociti V, Iorio R, Patanella A, Marti A, Caggiula M, et al. IL17 and IFNgamma production by peripheral blood mononuclear cells from clinically isolated syndrome to secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. Cytokine. 2008;44:22-5 pubmed publisherWe evaluated the spontaneous IL17, IFNgamma and IL10 production by peripheral blood mononuclear cells from patients affected by clinically isolated syndromes (CIS) suggestive of multiple sclerosis (MS) both in acute phase and in remission,..
- Nordang G, Viken M, Hollis Moffatt J, Merriman T, Førre Ø, Helgetveit K, et al. Association analysis of the interleukin 17A gene in Caucasian rheumatoid arthritis patients from Norway and New Zealand. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2009;48:367-70 pubmed publisher..Although, our findings were not replicated in an independent RA material from New Zealand, a significant common risk estimate indicated that IL17A warrants further investigation in RA. ..
- de Jong E, Suddason T, Lord G. Translational mini-review series on Th17 cells: development of mouse and human T helper 17 cells. Clin Exp Immunol. 2010;159:148-58 pubmed publisher..In this paper, we review the data regarding the generation of human Th17 cells in vitro and the evidence that this effector population is important in human disease states. ..
- Chen J, Deng Y, Zhao J, Luo Z, Peng W, Yang J, et al. The polymorphism of IL-17 G-152A was associated with childhood asthma and bacterial colonization of the hypopharynx in bronchiolitis. J Clin Immunol. 2010;30:539-45 pubmed publisher..We investigated the association between single-nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) of IL-17 (rs2275913, IL-17 G-152A) and asthma-related traits. Its effect on IL-17 production was also attractive...
- Vernal R, Dutzan N, Chaparro A, Puente J, Antonieta Valenzuela M, Gamonal J. Levels of interleukin-17 in gingival crevicular fluid and in supernatants of cellular cultures of gingival tissue from patients with chronic periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol. 2005;32:383-9 pubmed..001 and 0.003). The total amount of cytokine IL-17 in GCF samples and in the culture supernatants of gingival cells are significantly increased in periodontal disease. ..
- Beklen A, Ainola M, Hukkanen M, Gurgan C, Sorsa T, Konttinen Y. MMPs, IL-1, and TNF are regulated by IL-17 in periodontitis. J Dent Res. 2007;86:347-51 pubmed..Gingival fibroblasts may play an important role in tissue destruction in periodontitis via cytokine-inducible MMP-1 and MMP-3 production, in which IL-17 plays a role as a key regulatory cytokine. ..
- Kuang D, Peng C, Zhao Q, Wu Y, Zhu L, Wang J, et al. Tumor-activated monocytes promote expansion of IL-17-producing CD8+ T cells in hepatocellular carcinoma patients. J Immunol. 2010;185:1544-9 pubmed publisher..These data reveal an intriguing mechanism in which human Tc17 cells are generated by a fine-tuned collaborative action between different types of immune cells in distinct tumor microenvironments...
- Arif S, Moore F, Marks K, Bouckenooghe T, Dayan C, Planas R, et al. Peripheral and islet interleukin-17 pathway activation characterizes human autoimmune diabetes and promotes cytokine-mediated ?-cell death. Diabetes. 2011;60:2112-9 pubmed publisher..We disclose a novel pathway to ?-cell death involving IL-17 and STAT1 and NF-?B, rendering this cytokine a novel disease biomarker and potential therapeutic target. ..
- Nakada T, Russell J, Boyd J, Walley K. IL17A genetic variation is associated with altered susceptibility to Gram-positive infection and mortality of severe sepsis. Crit Care. 2011;15:R254 pubmed publisherb>Interleukin 17A (IL17A) plays a key role in host defense against microbial infection including Gram-positive bacteria...
- Wang J, Shyur S, Wang W, Liou Y, Lin C, Wu Y, et al. The polymorphisms of interleukin 17A (IL17A) gene and its association with pediatric asthma in Taiwanese population. Allergy. 2009;64:1056-60 pubmed publisherThe interleukin 17A (IL17A) gene, located on chromosome 6p and linked to asthma phenotype, is a highly potential candidate gene conferring asthma susceptibility...
- Kim S, Kim E, Moon C, Park J, Kim T, Kim W, et al. Genetic polymorphisms of IL-23R and IL-17A and novel insights into their associations with inflammatory bowel disease. Gut. 2011;60:1527-36 pubmed publisher..The results provide insights into the genetic and epigenetic interactions in the IL-23R/IL-17 axis that are associated with elevated expression of IL-17 and IBD pathogenesis. ..
- Rauen T, Hedrich C, Juang Y, Tenbrock K, Tsokos G. cAMP-responsive element modulator (CREM)? protein induces interleukin 17A expression and mediates epigenetic alterations at the interleukin-17A gene locus in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:43437-46 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate an extended role for CREM? in the immunopathogenesis of SLE because it contributes to increased expression of IL-17A. ..
- Zhang X, Yu P, Wang Y, Jiang W, Shen F, Wang Y, et al. Genetic polymorphisms of interleukin 17A and interleukin 17F and their association with inflammatory bowel disease in a Chinese Han population. Inflamm Res. 2013;62:743-50 pubmed publisher..The IL17A (rs2275913, G-197A) variant had a weak association with the severity of UC. There was a risk haplotype in IL17A which could increase the risk of UC. ..