Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: IGF-1
Description: insulin like growth factor 1
Alias: IGF-I, IGFI, MGF, insulin-like growth factor I, insulin-like growth factor 1 (somatomedin C), insulin-like growth factor IB, mechano growth factor, somatomedin-C
Publications144 found, 100 shown here
- Dong X, Chang G, Ji X, Tao D, Wang Y. The relationship between serum insulin-like growth factor I levels and ischemic stroke risk. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e94845 pubmed publisher..Thus, strokes were more likely to occur in patients with low serum IGF-I levels in the Chinese population; further, post-ischemic IGF-I therapy may be beneficial for stroke. ..
- Cappola A, Xue Q, Ferrucci L, Guralnik J, Volpato S, Fried L. Insulin-like growth factor I and interleukin-6 contribute synergistically to disability and mortality in older women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003;88:2019-25 pubmed..The joint effects of IGF-I and IL-6 may be important targets for treatments to prevent or minimize disability associated with aging. ..
- Slaaby R, Schäffer L, Lautrup Larsen I, Andersen A, Shaw A, Mathiasen I, et al. Hybrid receptors formed by insulin receptor (IR) and insulin-like growth factor I receptor (IGF-IR) have low insulin and high IGF-1 affinity irrespective of the IR splice variant. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:25869-74 pubmed..The binding characteristics of insulin and IGF-I to both splice variants of the hybrid receptors were similar to classical homodimer IGF-IR. ..
- Serin I, Tanriverdi F, Yilmaz M, Ozcelik B, Unluhizarci K. Serum insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I, IGF binding protein (IGFBP)-3, leptin concentrations and insulin resistance in benign and malignant epithelial ovarian tumors in postmenopausal women. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2008;24:117-21 pubmed publisher
- Hurbin A, Coll J, Dubrez Daloz L, Mari B, Auberger P, Brambilla C, et al. Cooperation of amphiregulin and insulin-like growth factor-1 inhibits Bax- and Bad-mediated apoptosis via a protein kinase C-dependent pathway in non-small cell lung cancer cells. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:19757-67 pubmed..Thus, AR and IGF1 cooperate to prevent apoptosis by activating a specific PKC-p90(rsk)-dependent pathway, which leads to Bad and Bax inactivation. This signaling pathway is different to that used by single factor. ..
- Sukhanov S, Higashi Y, Shai S, Vaughn C, Mohler J, Li Y, et al. IGF-1 reduces inflammatory responses, suppresses oxidative stress, and decreases atherosclerosis progression in ApoE-deficient mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2007;27:2684-90 pubmed..These findings have major implications for the treatment of atherosclerosis. ..
- Maas J, Mook Kanamori D, Ay L, Steegers E, van Duijn C, Hofman A, et al. Insulin VNTR and IGF-1 promoter region polymorphisms are not associated with body composition in early childhood: the generation R study. Horm Res Paediatr. 2010;73:120-7 pubmed publisher..Our results do not support previous studies showing associations between INS VNTR and IGF1 promoter region polymorphisms with body composition in early childhood. ..
- Weber M, Auernhammer C, Lee P, Engelhardt D, Zachoval R. Insulin-like growth factors and insulin-like growth factor binding proteins in adult patients with severe liver disease before and after orthotopic liver transplantation. Horm Res. 2002;57:105-12 pubmed..These abnormalities are promptly normalized after successful LTX. Thus, serum levels of IGF-I, IGF-II and IGFBP-3 might be useful parameters for the assessment of liver function. ..
- Slattery M, Sweeney C, Wolff R, Herrick J, Baumgartner K, Giuliano A, et al. Genetic variation in IGF1, IGFBP3, IRS1, IRS2 and risk of breast cancer in women living in Southwestern United States. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2007;104:197-209 pubmed..Our data suggest that associations between insulin-related genes and breast cancer risk among women living in the Southwestern United States may be dependent on estrogen exposure and may differ by ethnicity. ..
- Lakshmikuttyamma A, Pastural E, Takahashi N, Sawada K, Sheridan D, DeCoteau J, et al. Bcr-Abl induces autocrine IGF-1 signaling. Oncogene. 2008;27:3831-44 pubmed publisher..Together, our study suggests that aberrant IGF-1 signaling is an important event in blast crisis transformation and it provides a mechanism to explain the activity of IGF-1R and Hck inhibitors in blocking CML blast crisis phenotypes. ..
- Tsuchiya N, Wang L, Suzuki H, Segawa T, Fukuda H, Narita S, et al. Impact of IGF-I and CYP19 gene polymorphisms on the survival of patients with metastatic prostate cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2006;24:1982-9 pubmed..The IGF-I (CA) repeat and CYP19 (TTTA) repeat polymorphisms may be novel predictors in prostate cancer patients with bone metastasis at the diagnosis. ..
- Hamaguchi Y, Fujimoto M, Matsushita T, Hasegawa M, Takehara K, Sato S. Elevated serum insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1) and IGF binding protein-3 levels in patients with systemic sclerosis: possible role in development of fibrosis. J Rheumatol. 2008;35:2363-71 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that both IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 are involved in the development of SSc. The role of IGF-1 appears to be different from that of IGFBP-3. ..
- Rietveld I, Hofman A, Pols H, van Duijn C, Lamberts S, Janssen J. An insulin-like growth factor-I gene polymorphism modifies the risk of microalbuminuria in subjects with an abnormal glucose tolerance. Eur J Endocrinol. 2006;154:715-21 pubmed..Since MA is primarily associated with cardiovascular disease in subjects with AGT, our study suggests that variant carriers have a higher risk for cardiovascular disease than carriers of the wild type when they develop an AGT. ..
- Jernstrom H, Sandberg T, Bågeman E, Borg A, Olsson H. Insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF1) genotype predicts breast volume after pregnancy and hormonal contraception and is associated with circulating IGF-1 levels: implications for risk of early-onset breast cancer in young women from hereditary breast c. Br J Cancer. 2005;92:857-66 pubmed..002). Our results suggest that lack of the IGF1 19-repeat allele modifies IGF-1 levels, breast volume and possibly early-onset breast cancer risk after hormone exposure in young high-risk women. ..
- Popken G, Hodge R, Ye P, Zhang J, Ng W, O Kusky J, et al. In vivo effects of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) on prenatal and early postnatal development of the central nervous system. Eur J Neurosci. 2004;19:2056-68 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that IGF-I can both promote proliferation of neural cells in the embryonic central nervous system in vivo and inhibit their apoptosis during postnatal life. ..
- Chen C, Freeman R, Voigt L, Fitzpatrick A, Plymate S, Weiss N. Prostate cancer risk in relation to selected genetic polymorphisms in insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3, and insulin-like growth factor-I receptor. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2006;15:2461-6 pubmed..Our observation that men who do not carry two copies of the IGF-IR (AGG)7 allele are at increased risk of prostate cancer merits further investigation. ..
- Bendel S, Koivisto T, Ryynanen O, Ruokonen E, Romppanen J, Kiviniemi V, et al. Insulin like growth factor-I in acute subarachnoid hemorrhage: a prospective cohort study. Crit Care. 2010;14:R75 pubmed publisher..IGF-I concentrations are low during acute aSAH, which may have an impact on morbidity. ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier NCT00614887. ..
- Firth S, Ganeshprasad U, Baxter R. Structural determinants of ligand and cell surface binding of insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:2631-8 pubmed..We conclude that residues 228-232 of IGFBP-3 are essential for cell association and are required for normal ALS binding affinity. ..
- San Millan J, Corton M, Villuendas G, Sancho J, Peral B, Escobar Morreale H. Association of the polycystic ovary syndrome with genomic variants related to insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes mellitus, and obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004;89:2640-6 pubmed
- Schildkraut J, Demark Wahnefried W, Wenham R, Grubber J, Jeffreys A, Grambow S, et al. IGF1 (CA)19 repeat and IGFBP3 -202 A/C genotypes and the risk of prostate cancer in Black and White men. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2005;14:403-8 pubmed..Further research is needed to confirm these findings. ..
- Yazdanpanah M, Rietveld I, Janssen J, Njajou O, Hofman A, Stijnen T, et al. An insulin-like growth factor-I promoter polymorphism is associated with increased mortality in subjects with myocardial infarction in an elderly Caucasian population. Am J Cardiol. 2006;97:1274-6 pubmed..10 to 2.10, p = 0.02). The risk of death increased with the number of variant alleles. Our study suggests that genetically determined low IGF-I activity is an important determinant of mortality in subjects with MI. ..
- Figer A, Karasik Y, Baruch R, Chetrit A, Papa M, Sade R, et al. Insulin-like growth factor I polymorphism and breast cancer risk in Jewish women. Isr Med Assoc J. 2002;4:759-62 pubmed..6%). The IGF-I polymorphism may serve as a marker for breast cancer risk in the general Jewish population, in particular non-Ashkenazi Jews, but extension and confirmation of these preliminary data are needed. ..
- Thum T, Hoeber S, Froese S, Klink I, Stichtenoth D, Galuppo P, et al. Age-dependent impairment of endothelial progenitor cells is corrected by growth-hormone-mediated increase of insulin-like growth-factor-1. Circ Res. 2007;100:434-43 pubmed..Growth hormone-mediated increase in IGF-1 reverses age-related EPC dysfunction and may be a novel therapeutic strategy against vascular disorders with impairment of EPC. ..
- Grohmann M, Sabin M, Holly J, Shield J, Crowne E, Stewart C. Characterization of differentiated subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissue from children: the influences of TNF-alpha and IGF-I. J Lipid Res. 2005;46:93-103 pubmed..Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 enhanced differentiation equally. These observations may have important physiological and pharmacological implications for the development of obesity in later life. ..
- Aberg D. Role of the growth hormone/insulin-like growth factor 1 axis in neurogenesis. Endocr Dev. 2010;17:63-76 pubmed publisher..Theoretically these substances could be used to enhance recovery after brain injuries. However, further experiments with specific animal models for brain injuries are needed before clinical trials can be started. ..
- Chan J, Stampfer M, Ma J, Gann P, Gaziano J, Pollak M, et al. Insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) and IGF binding protein-3 as predictors of advanced-stage prostate cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2002;94:1099-106 pubmed..Circulating levels of IGF-I and IGFBP-3 may predict the risk of developing advanced-stage prostate cancer, but their utility for screening patients with incident prostate cancer may be limited. ..
- Federico G, Street M, Maghnie M, Caruso Nicoletti M, Loche S, Bertelloni S, et al. Assessment of serum IGF-I concentrations in the diagnosis of isolated childhood-onset GH deficiency: a proposal of the Italian Society for Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes (SIEDP/ISPED). J Endocrinol Invest. 2006;29:732-7 pubmed..We suggest an algorithm in which circulating levels of IGF-I together with the evaluation of auxological data, such as growth rate and growth, may be used to assess the likelihood of GHD in pre-pubertal children...
- McElholm A, McKnight A, Patterson C, Johnston B, Hardie L, Murray L. A population-based study of IGF axis polymorphisms and the esophageal inflammation, metaplasia, adenocarcinoma sequence. Gastroenterology. 2010;139:204-12.e3 pubmed publisher..These polymorphisms may be markers of disease risk; independent validation of our findings is required. These results suggest the IGF pathway is involved in EAC development. ..
- Ruigrok Y, Slooter A, Bardoel A, Frijns C, Rinkel G, Wijmenga C. Genes and outcome after aneurysmal subarachnoid haemorrhage. J Neurol. 2005;252:417-22 pubmed..SAH patients homozygote for the IGF-1 wild type allele or carriers of the TNF-A non-wild type allele have a higher risk of poor outcome. Additional studies in other populations are needed to assess the generalisability of our results. ..
- Chen X, Guan J, Song Y, Chen P, Zheng H, Tang C, et al. IGF-I (CA) repeat polymorphisms and risk of cancer: a meta-analysis. J Hum Genet. 2008;53:227-38 pubmed publisher..However, a larger single study is required to further evaluate the association IGF-I (CA)19 polymorphisms and the cancer risk in a specific population. ..
- Su X, Colditz G, Willett W, Collins L, Schnitt S, Connolly J, et al. Genetic variation and circulating levels of IGF-I and IGFBP-3 in relation to risk of proliferative benign breast disease. Int J Cancer. 2010;126:180-90 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that genetic variants and circulating levels of IGFBP-3 may play a role in the early stage of breast carcinogenesis. ..
- Melnik B, Schmitz G. Role of insulin, insulin-like growth factor-1, hyperglycaemic food and milk consumption in the pathogenesis of acne vulgaris. Exp Dermatol. 2009;18:833-41 pubmed publisher..Persistent acne in adulthood with high IGF-1 levels may be considered as an indicator for increased risk of cancer, which may require appropriate dietary intervention as well as treatment with insulin-sensitizing agents. ..
- Fehringer G, Ozcelik H, Knight J, Paterson A, Dite G, Giles G, et al. Family-based association study of IGF1 microsatellites and height, weight, and body mass index. J Hum Genet. 2010;55:255-8 pubmed publisher..This study does not support an association between IGF1 and these anthropometric measures. Study limitations, including sample size and capturing genetic variation at IGF1 with these markers, could mean associations were missed. ..
- Ruidavets J, Luc G, Machez E, Genoux A, Kee F, Arveiler D, et al. Effects of insulin-like growth factor 1 in preventing acute coronary syndromes: the PRIME study. Atherosclerosis. 2011;218:464-9 pubmed publisher..However, interaction between the two markers was not significant. Like HDL markers, high levels of IGF-1 confer protection against coronary artery disease. ..
- Sesti G, Sciacqua A, Cardellini M, Marini M, Maio R, Vatrano M, et al. Plasma concentration of IGF-I is independently associated with insulin sensitivity in subjects with different degrees of glucose tolerance. Diabetes Care. 2005;28:120-5 pubmed..These data indicate that IGF-I has the characteristics to be a marker for the insulin resistance syndrome. This suggests that low IGF-I levels may be a useful marker for identifying subjects at risk for cardiovascular disease. ..
- Wagner K, Hemminki K, Israelsson E, Grzybowska E, Söderberg M, Pamula J, et al. Polymorphisms in the IGF-1 and IGFBP 3 promoter and the risk of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2005;92:133-40 pubmed..76, 95% CI 1.44-v-9.81, p=0.006). Thus, the polymorphisms in the IGF-1 and IGFBP 3 genes associated with an increased risk of breast cancer in familial cases carrying the variant alleles. ..
- Patel A, Cheng I, Canzian F, Le Marchand L, Thun M, Berg C, et al. IGF-1, IGFBP-1, and IGFBP-3 polymorphisms predict circulating IGF levels but not breast cancer risk: findings from the Breast and Prostate Cancer Cohort Consortium (BPC3). PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e2578 pubmed publisher..In summary, the impact of genetic variation in IGF1 and IGFBP3 on circulating IGF levels does not appear to substantially influence breast cancer risk substantially among primarily Caucasian postmenopausal women. ..
- Telgmann R, Dördelmann C, Brand E, Nicaud V, Hagedorn C, Pavenstadt H, et al. Molecular genetic analysis of a human insulin-like growth factor 1 promoter P1 variation. FASEB J. 2009;23:1303-13 pubmed publisher..Whether -1411C>T is also associated with other IGF1-related disease phenotypes should be evaluated further in population studies. ..
- Friedrich N, Haring R, Nauck M, Ludemann J, Rosskopf D, Spilcke Liss E, et al. Mortality and serum insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF binding protein 3 concentrations. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009;94:1732-9 pubmed publisher..31; 2.64)] and women [HR 1.63 (95% CI 0.96; 2.76)]. The present study found inverse associations between IGF-I or IGFBP-3 levels and mortality from all causes, CVD, or cancer in men and between IGFBP-3 and all-cause mortality in women. ..
- Tsuchiya N, Wang L, Horikawa Y, Inoue T, Kakinuma H, Matsuura S, et al. CA repeat polymorphism in the insulin-like growth factor-I gene is associated with increased risk of prostate cancer and benign prostatic hyperplasia. Int J Oncol. 2005;26:225-31 pubmed..In conclusion, the 19-allele of IGF-I appears to increase the risk of prostate cancer and BPH with a gene dosage effect in the Japanese population. ..
- Sweeney C, Murtaugh M, Baumgartner K, Byers T, Giuliano A, Herrick J, et al. Insulin-like growth factor pathway polymorphisms associated with body size in Hispanic and non-Hispanic white women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2005;14:1802-9 pubmed..These results provide evidence that IGF pathway polymorphisms have functional effects on growth and central obesity and indicate that genotype-phenotype relationships are ethnic specific. ..
- Su W, Lee K, Yeh Y, Soon M, Wang C, Yu M, et al. Association of circulating insulin-like growth factor 1 with hepatocellular carcinoma: one cross-sectional correlation study. J Clin Lab Anal. 2010;24:195-200 pubmed publisher..14+/-71.28 vs. 172.42+/-74.02 ng/mL, P=0.003). In conclusion, decreased serum IGF-1 levels were associated with HCC and the decrease was remarkably noted in those patients concomitant with chronic hepatitis C. ..
- Kostek M, Devaney J, Gordish Dressman H, Harris T, Thompson P, Clarkson P, et al. A polymorphism near IGF1 is associated with body composition and muscle function in women from the Health, Aging, and Body Composition Study. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2010;110:315-24 pubmed publisher..Thus, in an elderly population but not a young population, a polymorphism in the IGF1 gene may be predictive of differences in body composition, primarily in black females. ..
- Goetz E, Shankar B, Zou Y, Morales J, Luo X, Araki S, et al. ATM-dependent IGF-1 induction regulates secretory clusterin expression after DNA damage and in genetic instability. Oncogene. 2011;30:3745-54 pubmed publisher..Elucidation of this pathway should uncover new mechanisms for cancer progression and reveal new targets for drug development to overcome resistance to therapy. ..
- Rajpathak S, He M, Sun Q, Kaplan R, Muzumdar R, Rohan T, et al. Insulin-like growth factor axis and risk of type 2 diabetes in women. Diabetes. 2012;61:2248-54 pubmed publisher..05-6.06]; P trend < 0.05). Thus, this prospective study found strong associations of incident diabetes with baseline levels of three IGFBPs and free IGF-I, consistent with hypotheses that the IGF axis might influence diabetes risk. ..
- Johansson M, McKay J, Wiklund F, Rinaldi S, Verheus M, van Gils C, et al. Implications for prostate cancer of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) genetic variation and circulating IGF-I levels. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007;92:4820-6 pubmed..This observation is consistent with the hypothesis that variation in the IGF-I gene plays a role in prostate cancer susceptibility by influencing circulating levels of IGF-I. ..
- Smith T, Gilliland K, Clawson G, Thiboutot D. IGF-1 induces SREBP-1 expression and lipogenesis in SEB-1 sebocytes via activation of the phosphoinositide 3-kinase/Akt pathway. J Invest Dermatol. 2008;128:1286-93 pubmed..Specific targeted interruption of this pathway in the sebaceous gland could be a desirable approach to reducing sebum production and improving acne. ..
- Palles C, Johnson N, Coupland B, Taylor C, Carvajal J, Holly J, et al. Identification of genetic variants that influence circulating IGF1 levels: a targeted search strategy. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:1457-64 pubmed publisher..Targeting ECRs appears to be a useful strategy for identifying a subset of potentially functional non-coding regulatory SNPs. ..
- Kostek M, Delmonico M, Reichel J, Roth S, Douglass L, Ferrell R, et al. Muscle strength response to strength training is influenced by insulin-like growth factor 1 genotype in older adults. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2005;98:2147-54 pubmed..Thus these data suggest that the IGF1 promoter polymorphism may influence the strength response to ST. Larger sample sizes should be used in future studies to verify these results. ..
- Suh Y, Atzmon G, Cho M, Hwang D, Liu B, Leahy D, et al. Functionally significant insulin-like growth factor I receptor mutations in centenarians. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:3438-42 pubmed publisher..of wear and tear, lifespan can be modulated actively by components of the insulin/insulin-like growth factor I (IGFI) pathway in laboratory animals...
- Nindl B, Santtila M, Vaara J, HAkkinen K, Kyrolainen H. Circulating IGF-I is associated with fitness and health outcomes in a population of 846 young healthy men. Growth Horm IGF Res. 2011;21:124-8 pubmed publisher..99±0.5 mmol/L). IGF-I is positively associated with aerobic fitness and muscular endurance, but not with measures of muscle strength or FFM. IGF-I is positively associated with improved health and fitness outcomes in young, healthy men. ..
- Zhuang W, Yang P, Li Z, Sheng X, Zhao J, Li S, et al. Association of insulin-like growth factor-1 polymorphisms with high myopia in the Chinese population. Mol Vis. 2012;18:634-44 pubmed..033) after 50,000 permutations for multiple comparisons. The polymorphism of rs12423791 in IGF-1 may be associated with extreme myopia in the Chinese population and should be investigated further. ..
- Bouhours Nouet N, Gatelais F, Boux de Casson F, Rouleau S, Coutant R. The insulin-like growth factor-I response to growth hormone is increased in prepubertal children with obesity and tall stature. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007;92:629-35 pubmed..Whether the differences in the IGF-I response to GH between these children reflect differences in the respective anabolic (growth promotion) and metabolic (i.e. insulin action modulation) roles of circulating IGF-I is unknown. ..
- Kaplan R, McGinn A, Pollak M, Kuller L, Strickler H, Rohan T, et al. Association of total insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor binding protein-1 (IGFBP-1), and IGFBP-3 levels with incident coronary events and ischemic stroke. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007;92:1319-25 pubmed..Circulating levels of total IGF-I or IGFBP-1 were not associated with risk of total coronary events or ischemic stroke among older adults, whereas low IGFBP-3 level was associated with increased risk of incident coronary events. ..
- Devaney J, Hoffman E, Gordish Dressman H, Kearns A, Zambraski E, Clarkson P. IGF-II gene region polymorphisms related to exertional muscle damage. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2007;102:1815-23 pubmed..In women, fewer significant associations appeared. ..
- Hand B, Kostek M, Ferrell R, Delmonico M, Douglass L, Roth S, et al. Influence of promoter region variants of insulin-like growth factor pathway genes on the strength-training response of muscle phenotypes in older adults. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2007;103:1678-87 pubmed..These data suggest that two of the three IGF pathway gene polymorphisms identified in this study influence muscle phenotypic responses to ST in both black and white older men and women. ..
- Strickler H, Fazzari M, Kovacs A, Isasi C, Napolitano L, Minkoff H, et al. Associations of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF-binding protein-3 with HIV disease progression in women. J Infect Dis. 2008;197:319-27 pubmed publisher..If correct, the IGF axis could be a target for interventions to slow HIV disease progression and extend the time before use of HAART becomes necessary. ..
- Siddappa R, Martens A, Doorn J, Leusink A, Olivo C, Licht R, et al. cAMP/PKA pathway activation in human mesenchymal stem cells in vitro results in robust bone formation in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:7281-6 pubmed publisher..As a consequence, PKA activation results in robust in vivo bone formation by hMSCs derived from orthopedic patients. ..
- Lettre G, Butler J, Ardlie K, Hirschhorn J. Common genetic variation in eight genes of the GH/IGF1 axis does not contribute to adult height variation. Hum Genet. 2007;122:129-39 pubmed
- Metlapally R, Ki C, Li Y, Tran Viet K, Abbott D, Malecaze F, et al. Genetic association of insulin-like growth factor-1 polymorphisms with high-grade myopia in an international family cohort. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:4476-9 pubmed publisher..These findings are in line with recent evidence in an experimental myopia model showing that IGF-1 promotes ocular growth and axial myopia. IGF-1 may be a myopia candidate gene for further investigation. ..
- Jernstrom H, Chu W, Vesprini D, Tao Y, Majeed N, Deal C, et al. Genetic factors related to racial variation in plasma levels of insulin-like growth factor-1: implications for premenopausal breast cancer risk. Mol Genet Metab. 2001;72:144-54 pubmed..The high incidence of premenopausal breast cancer among black women may be mediated through genetic modifiers of circulating levels of IGF-I. ..
- Fletcher O, Gibson L, Johnson N, Altmann D, Holly J, Ashworth A, et al. Polymorphisms and circulating levels in the insulin-like growth factor system and risk of breast cancer: a systematic review. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2005;14:2-19 pubmed..Further large studies, or combined analysis of data from existing studies, are needed to quantify these effects more precisely. ..
- Hernandez W, Grenade C, Santos E, Bonilla C, Ahaghotu C, Kittles R. IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 gene variants influence on serum levels and prostate cancer risk in African-Americans. Carcinogenesis. 2007;28:2154-9 pubmed..Our study adds clarity and further support to the previous findings, implicating serum IGFBP-3 levels and the IGFBP-3 -202 A/C SNP in prostate carcinogenesis. ..
- Twigg S, Baxter R. Insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-binding protein 5 forms an alternative ternary complex with IGFs and the acid-labile subunit. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:6074-9 pubmed..The demonstration of IGFBP-5-containing ternary complexes indicates an unrecognized form of IGF transport in the circulation and an additional mechanism for regulating IGF bioavailability. ..
- Ueki I, Ooi G, Tremblay M, Hurst K, Bach L, Boisclair Y. Inactivation of the acid labile subunit gene in mice results in mild retardation of postnatal growth despite profound disruptions in the circulating insulin-like growth factor system. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:6868-73 pubmed..This model should be useful to determine whether presence of ALS is needed for other actions of liver-derived IGF-I and for maintenance of homeostasis in presence of high circulating levels of IGF-II. ..
- Musaro A, McCullagh K, Paul A, Houghton L, Dobrowolny G, Molinaro M, et al. Localized Igf-1 transgene expression sustains hypertrophy and regeneration in senescent skeletal muscle. Nat Genet. 2001;27:195-200 pubmed..The preservation of muscle architecture and age-independent regenerative capacity through localized mIgf-1 transgene expression suggests clinical strategies for the treatment of age or disease-related muscle frailty. ..
- Vaessen N, Heutink P, Janssen J, Witteman J, Testers L, Hofman A, et al. A polymorphism in the gene for IGF-I: functional properties and risk for type 2 diabetes and myocardial infarction. Diabetes. 2001;50:637-42 pubmed..4 (95% CI 1.1-11.3). Our study suggests that a genetically determined exposure to relatively low IGF-I levels is associated with an increased risk for type 2 diabetes and myocardial infarction. ..
- Jernstrom H, Deal C, Wilkin F, Chu W, Tao Y, Majeed N, et al. Genetic and nongenetic factors associated with variation of plasma levels of insulin-like growth factor-I and insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3 in healthy premenopausal women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2001;10:377-84 pubmed..Our results support the view that circulating IGF-I levels and IGFBP-3 levels are complex traits and are influenced by a number of interacting genetic and nongenetic factors. ..
- Delafontaine P, Song Y, Li Y. Expression, regulation, and function of IGF-1, IGF-1R, and IGF-1 binding proteins in blood vessels. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2004;24:435-44 pubmed..This review will discuss the regulation of expression of IGF-1, IGF-1R, and IGF binding proteins in the vasculature and summarize evidence implicating involvement of this system in vascular diseases. ..
- González Zuloeta Ladd A, Liu F, Houben M, Arias Vasquez A, Siemes C, Janssens A, et al. IGF-1 CA repeat variant and breast cancer risk in postmenopausal women. Eur J Cancer. 2007;43:1718-22 pubmed..26 (95% CI=0.95-1.82) for IGF-I CA(19) non-carriers versus CA(19) homozygous carriers. According to these results, the IGF-I CA(19) promoter polymorphism is not likely to predict the risk of breast cancer. ..
- Geelhoed J, Mook Kanamori D, Witteman J, Hofman A, van Duijn C, Moll H, et al. Variation in the IGF1 gene and growth in foetal life and infancy. The Generation R Study. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2008;68:382-9 pubmed..Studies in larger cohorts are necessary to replicate our findings and to examine whether these effects persist throughout childhood. ..