Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: IGF-1
Description: insulin like growth factor 1
Alias: IGF-I, IGFI, MGF, insulin-like growth factor I, insulin-like growth factor 1 (somatomedin C), insulin-like growth factor IB, mechano growth factor, somatomedin-C
Publications182 found, 100 shown here
- Dong X, Chang G, Ji X, Tao D, Wang Y. The relationship between serum insulin-like growth factor I levels and ischemic stroke risk. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e94845 pubmed publisher..Thus, strokes were more likely to occur in patients with low serum IGF-I levels in the Chinese population; further, post-ischemic IGF-I therapy may be beneficial for stroke. ..
- Xie L, Gong Y, Lian S, Yang J, Yang Y, Gao S, et al. Absence of association between SNPs in the promoter region of the insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) gene and longevity in the Han Chinese population. Exp Gerontol. 2008;43:962-5 pubmed publisher..None of these variants were found to be associated with longevity. Our results suggest that there is no association between SNPs in the promoter region of IGF-1 gene and longevity in the Han Chinese population. ..
- De Smedt A, Brouns R, Uyttenboogaart M, De Raedt S, Moens M, Wilczak N, et al. Insulin-like growth factor I serum levels influence ischemic stroke outcome. Stroke. 2011;42:2180-5 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that high serum IGF-I levels just after ischemic stroke onset are associated with neurological recovery and a better functional outcome. ..
- t Hart L, Fritsche A, Rietveld I, Dekker J, Nijpels G, Machicao F, et al. Genetic factors and insulin secretion: gene variants in the IGF genes. Diabetes. 2004;53 Suppl 1:S26-30 pubmed..Further studies are needed to examine the exact contributions of the IGF-I CA repeat alleles to variations in ISI and DI. ..
- Birmann B, Tamimi R, Giovannucci E, Rosner B, Hunter D, Kraft P, et al. Insulin-like growth factor-1- and interleukin-6-related gene variation and risk of multiple myeloma. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2009;18:282-8 pubmed publisher..Nonetheless, the data are consistent with the hypothesis that IGF-1- and IL-6-related gene variation influences susceptibility to multiple myeloma and warrant confirmation in larger populations. ..
- Yang S, Goldspink G. Different roles of the IGF-I Ec peptide (MGF) and mature IGF-I in myoblast proliferation and differentiation. FEBS Lett. 2002;522:156-60 pubmedThe physiological function of a recently cloned splice variant of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I; mechano growth factor (MGF)) was studied using an in vitro cell model...
- Glaser S, Friedrich N, Ewert R, Schaper C, Krebs A, Dorr M, et al. Association of circulating IGF-I and IGFBP-3 concentrations and exercise capacity in healthy volunteers: results of the Study of Health in Pomerania. Growth Horm IGF Res. 2010;20:404-10 pubmed publisher..Serum IGF-I concentrations are associated with peak exercise capacity in healthy women, but not in men over a wide range in ages, body sizes and activity scores. ..
- Mak J, Yap M, Fung W, Ng P, Yip S. Association of IGF1 gene haplotypes with high myopia in Chinese adults. Arch Ophthalmol. 2012;130:209-16 pubmed publisher..IGF1 is associated with high myopia, and identifying the causal variants is important for understanding the underlying mechanisms. ..
- Nielsen E, Hansen L, Lajer M, Andersen K, Echwald S, Urhammer S, et al. A common polymorphism in the promoter of the IGF-I gene associates with increased fasting serum triglyceride levels in glucose-tolerant subjects. Clin Biochem. 2004;37:660-5 pubmed..007). The present study provides evidence that the common wild-type allele of the IGF-I promoter polymorphism is associated with increased levels of fasting serum triglyceride in glucose-tolerant whites. ..
- Kang Y, Digicaylioglu M, Russo R, Kaul M, Achim C, Fletcher L, et al. Erythropoietin plus insulin-like growth factor-I protects against neuronal damage in a murine model of human immunodeficiency virus-associated neurocognitive disorders. Ann Neurol. 2010;68:342-52 pubmed publisher..This combination peptide therapy should therefore be tested in humans with HAND. ..
- Frayling T, Hattersley A, McCarthy A, Holly J, Mitchell S, Gloyn A, et al. A putative functional polymorphism in the IGF-I gene: association studies with type 2 diabetes, adult height, glucose tolerance, and fetal growth in U.K. populations. Diabetes. 2002;51:2313-6 pubmed..66). There was no association with measures of fetal growth, including birth weight (P = 0.17). Our results do not support the previous associations and suggest that the promoter microsatellite is unlikely to be functionally important. ..
- Succurro E, Andreozzi F, Marini M, Lauro R, Hribal M, Perticone F, et al. Low plasma insulin-like growth factor-1 levels are associated with reduced insulin sensitivity and increased insulin secretion in nondiabetic subjects. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2009;19:713-9 pubmed publisher..7% and 37.6% of variation, respectively. These data suggest that progressive reduction in IGF-1 levels may be involved in obesity-related changes in both insulin sensitivity and secretion. ..
- Burchardt P, Nowak W, Zurawski J, Gozdzicka Jozefiak A, Siminiak T. The estimation of GC repeats in promoter P1 of IGF-1 gene and their influence on IGF-1 plasma levels in stable angina patients. Protein J. 2010;29:524-9 pubmed publisher..026). A correlation between IGF-1, IGF-binding protein number 3, and growth hormone levels (p = ns) was not observed, and there were no significant differences in the growth hormone levels in the studied group of patients (p = ns). ..
- Slattery M, Samowitz W, Curtin K, Ma K, Hoffman M, Caan B, et al. Associations among IRS1, IRS2, IGF1, and IGFBP3 genetic polymorphisms and colorectal cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2004;13:1206-14 pubmed..These data suggest that the insulin-related pathway may be important in the etiology of colon cancer but not rectal cancer. ..
- Takahashi Y, Matsumoto M, Karasugi T, Watanabe K, Chiba K, Kawakami N, et al. Lack of association between adolescent idiopathic scoliosis and previously reported single nucleotide polymorphisms in MATN1, MTNR1B, TPH1, and IGF1 in a Japanese population. J Orthop Res. 2011;29:1055-8 pubmed publisher..Considering the statistical power and sample size of the present study, we concluded that these SNPs are not associated with either AIS predisposition or curve severity in Japanese. ..
- Sandhu M. Insulin-like growth factor-I and risk of type 2 diabetes and coronary heart disease: molecular epidemiology. Endocr Dev. 2005;9:44-54 pubmed
- Sherlock M, Toogood A. Aging and the growth hormone/insulin like growth factor-I axis. Pituitary. 2007;10:189-203 pubmed..If GH therapy is to be used in this cohort of patients further long term efficacy and safety studies are required. ..
- Morimoto L, Newcomb P, White E, Bigler J, Potter J. Variation in plasma insulin-like growth factor-1 and insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3: genetic factors. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2005;14:1394-401 pubmed..This analysis provides evidence that common variation in IGF genes may contribute to the variation in circulating levels observed between individuals. ..
- Hoppener J, de Pagter Holthuizen P, Geurts van Kessel A, Jansen M, Kittur S, Antonarakis S, et al. The human gene encoding insulin-like growth factor I is located on chromosome 12. Hum Genet. 1985;69:157-60 pubmed..Comparison of the chromosomal assignments of the IGF-I gene and two other members of the insulin gene family, with three c-ras oncogenes, reveals a remarkable association of the two gene families. ..
- Cheng I, Stram D, Penney K, Pike M, Le Marchand L, Kolonel L, et al. Common genetic variation in IGF1 and prostate cancer risk in the Multiethnic Cohort. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2006;98:123-34 pubmed..Permutation testing revealed that a similarly strong result would be observed by chance only 5.6% of the time. Inherited variation in IGF1 may play a role in the risk of prostate cancer. ..
- Kahlert S, Nuedling S, van Eickels M, Vetter H, Meyer R, Grohe C. Estrogen receptor alpha rapidly activates the IGF-1 receptor pathway. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:18447-53 pubmed..Taken together, these data demonstrate that ligand bound estrogen receptor alpha is required for rapid activation of the IGF-1R signaling cascade. ..
- Zhang M, Hu Z, Huang J, Shu Y, Dai J, Jin G, et al. A 3'-untranslated region polymorphism in IGF1 predicts survival of non-small cell lung cancer in a Chinese population. Clin Cancer Res. 2010;16:1236-44 pubmed publisher..028). Our findings suggest that rs5742714 in IGF1 may be a genetic modifier for NSCLC prognosis in this Chinese population, especially among patients with surgical operation. ..
- Kim J, Roh K, Lee J. The relationship among serum insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor-I gene polymorphism, and bone mineral density in postmenopausal women in Korea. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2002;186:345-50 pubmed..The insulin-like growth factor-I gene cytosine-adenine polymorphism relates with circulating insulin-like growth factor-I levels and bone mineral density at the lumbar spine and proximal femur. ..
- Rotwein P, Pollock K, Didier D, Krivi G. Organization and sequence of the human insulin-like growth factor I gene. Alternative RNA processing produces two insulin-like growth factor I precursor peptides. J Biol Chem. 1986;261:4828-32 pubmed..Restriction endonuclease polymorphisms in the IGF-I gene, which map near exon 5 as determined by Southern blot analysis, will be useful in defining the genetics of familial growth failure. ..
- Rydzanicz M, Nowak D, Karolak J, Frajdenberg A, Podfigurna Musielak M, Mrugacz M, et al. IGF-1 gene polymorphisms in Polish families with high-grade myopia. Mol Vis. 2011;17:2428-39 pubmed..Further replication studies involving other populations are needed to investigate the possible role of IGF-1 as a potential myopia candidate gene. ..
- Yu H, Li B, Smith M, Shi R, Berkel H, Kato I. Polymorphic CA repeats in the IGF-I gene and breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2001;70:117-22 pubmed..If our observations can be confirmed in larger studies, the findings will provide further evidence to support the role of IGF-I in breast cancer and the link between genetic polymorphism and cancer susceptibility. ..
- Murray S, Zheng H, Gu L, Jim Xiao Z. IGF-1 activates p21 to inhibit UV-induced cell death. Oncogene. 2003;22:1703-11 pubmed..Furthermore, p21 is important for IGF-1-mediated cell survival upon UV irradiation. Taken together, these data indicate that IGF-1 may activate p21 in executing its survival function upon genotoxic insults. ..
- Godau J, Herfurth M, Kattner B, Gasser T, Berg D. Increased serum insulin-like growth factor 1 in early idiopathic Parkinson's disease. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2010;81:536-8 pubmed publisher..001). Applying the cut-off value of 114 ng/ml, all untreated patients were correctly classified as PD patients. Increased IGF-1 might be an interesting serum marker for early PD and potentially for subclinical dopaminergic dysfunction. ..
- Terry K, Tworoger S, Gates M, Cramer D, Hankinson S. Common genetic variation in IGF1, IGFBP1 and IGFBP3 and ovarian cancer risk. Carcinogenesis. 2009;30:2042-6 pubmed publisher..Of particular interest was the IGFBP3 SNP rs2270628, which was associated with both increased IGF1 plasma levels and higher ovarian cancer risk. ..
- el Azzouzi H, Leptidis S, Bourajjaj M, Armand A, van der Nagel R, van Bilsen M, et al. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor (PPAR) gene profiling uncovers insulin-like growth factor-1 as a PPARalpha target gene in cardioprotection. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:14598-607 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data confirm igf-1 as an in vivo target of PPAR? and the involvement of a PPAR?/IGF-1 signaling pathway in the protection of cardiomyocytes under ischemic and hemodynamic loading conditions. ..
- Corbo M, Lunetta C, Magni P, Dozio E, Ruscica M, Adobbati L, et al. Free insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-1 and IGF-binding proteins-2 and -3 in serum and cerebrospinal fluid of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients. Eur J Neurol. 2010;17:398-404 pubmed publisher..Since IGF-1 is a trophic factor for different tissues, we speculate that high levels of the free IGF-1 in sALS might reflect a physiological defensive mechanism promoted in response to neural degeneration and/or muscle atrophy. ..
- Hsu Y, Chou C, Chen H, Lee W, Chen Y, Lin P, et al. IGF-1 upregulates electroneutral K-Cl cotransporter KCC3 and KCC4 which are differentially required for breast cancer cell proliferation and invasiveness. J Cell Physiol. 2007;210:626-36 pubmed..Thus, we conclude that KCC activation by IGF-1 plays an important role in IGF-1 receptor signaling to promote growth and spread of breast cancer cells. ..
- Reeves S, Rich D, Meldrum C, Colyvas K, Kurzawski G, Suchy J, et al. IGF1 is a modifier of disease risk in hereditary non-polyposis colorectal cancer. Int J Cancer. 2008;123:1339-43 pubmed publisher..Insulin-like growth factor-I (IGFI) has been implicated in colorectal cancer (CRC), and elevated plasma IGFI levels are associated with both sporadic ..
- Schut A, Janssen J, Deinum J, Vergeer J, Hofman A, Lamberts S, et al. Polymorphism in the promoter region of the insulin-like growth factor I gene is related to carotid intima-media thickness and aortic pulse wave velocity in subjects with hypertension. Stroke. 2003;34:1623-7 pubmed..Our study suggests that hypertensive subjects who have low IGF-I levels because of a genetic polymorphism in the IGF-I gene are at increased risk of developing atherosclerosis. ..
- Boyne M, Thame M, Bennett F, Osmond C, Miell J, Forrester T. The relationship among circulating insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I, IGF-binding proteins-1 and -2, and birth anthropometry: a prospective study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003;88:1687-91 pubmed..In conclusion, maternal IGF-I levels, especially during late pregnancy, positively influence birth weight. ..
- Kato I, Eastham J, Li B, Smith M, Yu H. Genotype-phenotype analysis for the polymorphic CA repeat in the insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) gene. Eur J Epidemiol. 2003;18:203-9 pubmed..Opposite trends observed in gender and racial subgroups, i.e., an inverse association between plasma IGF-I levels and the CA repeat length in white women and a positive association in black men, are likely to be chance findings. ..
- Ester W, van Meurs J, Arends N, Uitterlinden A, de Ridder M, Hokken Koelega A. Birth size, postnatal growth and growth during growth hormone treatment in small-for-gestational-age children: associations with IGF1 gene polymorphisms and haplotypes?. Horm Res. 2009;72:15-24 pubmed publisher..Haplotype 2, of which the -1245 A allele was the marker, was associated with a smaller head circumference SDS during spontaneous postnatal growth, but not during GH treatment. ..
- Rietveld I, Ikram M, Vingerling J, Hofman A, Pols H, Lamberts S, et al. An igf-I gene polymorphism modifies the risk of diabetic retinopathy. Diabetes. 2006;55:2387-91 pubmed..04) in the risk of retinopathy was observed compared with participants with the wild-type genotype. In conclusion, our findings suggest that this IGF-I gene polymorphism is associated with an increased risk of diabetic retinopathy. ..
- Bilic E, Rudan I, Kusec V, Zurak N, Delimar D, Zagar M. Comparison of the growth hormone, IGF-1 and insulin in cerebrospinal fluid and serum between patients with motor neuron disease and healthy controls. Eur J Neurol. 2006;13:1340-5 pubmed
- Cappola A, Xue Q, Ferrucci L, Guralnik J, Volpato S, Fried L. Insulin-like growth factor I and interleukin-6 contribute synergistically to disability and mortality in older women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003;88:2019-25 pubmed..The joint effects of IGF-I and IL-6 may be important targets for treatments to prevent or minimize disability associated with aging. ..
- Slaaby R, Schäffer L, Lautrup Larsen I, Andersen A, Shaw A, Mathiasen I, et al. Hybrid receptors formed by insulin receptor (IR) and insulin-like growth factor I receptor (IGF-IR) have low insulin and high IGF-1 affinity irrespective of the IR splice variant. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:25869-74 pubmed..The binding characteristics of insulin and IGF-I to both splice variants of the hybrid receptors were similar to classical homodimer IGF-IR. ..
- Serin I, Tanriverdi F, Yilmaz M, Ozcelik B, Unluhizarci K. Serum insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I, IGF binding protein (IGFBP)-3, leptin concentrations and insulin resistance in benign and malignant epithelial ovarian tumors in postmenopausal women. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2008;24:117-21 pubmed publisher
- Rinderknecht E, Humbel R. The amino acid sequence of human insulin-like growth factor I and its structural homology with proinsulin. J Biol Chem. 1978;253:2769-76 pubmed..The fact that all half-cystine and glycine residues and most nonpolar core residues of the insulin monomer are conserved is compatible with a three-dimensional structure of IGF-I similar to that of insulin. ..
- Hurbin A, Coll J, Dubrez Daloz L, Mari B, Auberger P, Brambilla C, et al. Cooperation of amphiregulin and insulin-like growth factor-1 inhibits Bax- and Bad-mediated apoptosis via a protein kinase C-dependent pathway in non-small cell lung cancer cells. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:19757-67 pubmed..Thus, AR and IGF1 cooperate to prevent apoptosis by activating a specific PKC-p90(rsk)-dependent pathway, which leads to Bad and Bax inactivation. This signaling pathway is different to that used by single factor. ..
- Johansson M, McKay J, Stattin P, Canzian F, Boillot C, Wiklund F, et al. Comprehensive evaluation of genetic variation in the IGF1 gene and risk of prostate cancer. Int J Cancer. 2007;120:539-42 pubmed..Further studies on genetic variations in the IGF1 gene in relation to prostate cancer risk as well as to circulating levels of IGF1 are needed to confirm this novel finding. ..
- Sukhanov S, Higashi Y, Shai S, Vaughn C, Mohler J, Li Y, et al. IGF-1 reduces inflammatory responses, suppresses oxidative stress, and decreases atherosclerosis progression in ApoE-deficient mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2007;27:2684-90 pubmed..These findings have major implications for the treatment of atherosclerosis. ..
- Liu J, Zhao H, Ning G, Chen Y, Zhang L, Sun L, et al. IGF-1 as an early marker for low bone mass or osteoporosis in premenopausal and postmenopausal women. J Bone Miner Metab. 2008;26:159-64 pubmed publisher..17, P < 0.001). In conclusion, measurement of serum IGF-1 in young women may help in the early identification of those at risk for developing low bone mass and osteoporosis. ..
- Maas J, Mook Kanamori D, Ay L, Steegers E, van Duijn C, Hofman A, et al. Insulin VNTR and IGF-1 promoter region polymorphisms are not associated with body composition in early childhood: the generation R study. Horm Res Paediatr. 2010;73:120-7 pubmed publisher..Our results do not support previous studies showing associations between INS VNTR and IGF1 promoter region polymorphisms with body composition in early childhood. ..
- Weber M, Auernhammer C, Lee P, Engelhardt D, Zachoval R. Insulin-like growth factors and insulin-like growth factor binding proteins in adult patients with severe liver disease before and after orthotopic liver transplantation. Horm Res. 2002;57:105-12 pubmed..These abnormalities are promptly normalized after successful LTX. Thus, serum levels of IGF-I, IGF-II and IGFBP-3 might be useful parameters for the assessment of liver function. ..
- Slattery M, Sweeney C, Wolff R, Herrick J, Baumgartner K, Giuliano A, et al. Genetic variation in IGF1, IGFBP3, IRS1, IRS2 and risk of breast cancer in women living in Southwestern United States. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2007;104:197-209 pubmed..Our data suggest that associations between insulin-related genes and breast cancer risk among women living in the Southwestern United States may be dependent on estrogen exposure and may differ by ethnicity. ..
- Lakshmikuttyamma A, Pastural E, Takahashi N, Sawada K, Sheridan D, DeCoteau J, et al. Bcr-Abl induces autocrine IGF-1 signaling. Oncogene. 2008;27:3831-44 pubmed publisher..Together, our study suggests that aberrant IGF-1 signaling is an important event in blast crisis transformation and it provides a mechanism to explain the activity of IGF-1R and Hck inhibitors in blocking CML blast crisis phenotypes. ..
- Tsuchiya N, Wang L, Suzuki H, Segawa T, Fukuda H, Narita S, et al. Impact of IGF-I and CYP19 gene polymorphisms on the survival of patients with metastatic prostate cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2006;24:1982-9 pubmed..The IGF-I (CA) repeat and CYP19 (TTTA) repeat polymorphisms may be novel predictors in prostate cancer patients with bone metastasis at the diagnosis. ..
- Hamaguchi Y, Fujimoto M, Matsushita T, Hasegawa M, Takehara K, Sato S. Elevated serum insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1) and IGF binding protein-3 levels in patients with systemic sclerosis: possible role in development of fibrosis. J Rheumatol. 2008;35:2363-71 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that both IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 are involved in the development of SSc. The role of IGF-1 appears to be different from that of IGFBP-3. ..
- Oh J, Kucab J, Bushel P, Martin K, Bennett L, Collins J, et al. Insulin-like growth factor-1 inscribes a gene expression profile for angiogenic factors and cancer progression in breast epithelial cells. Neoplasia. 2002;4:204-17 pubmed..In summary, IGF-1 inscribes a gene expression profile relevant to cancer progression, and this study provides insight into the mechanism(s) whereby some of these changes occur. ..
- Arends N, Johnston L, Hokken Koelega A, van Duijn C, de Ridder M, Savage M, et al. Polymorphism in the IGF-I gene: clinical relevance for short children born small for gestational age (SGA). J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002;87:2720 pubmed..Since low IGF-I levels are associated with type 2 diabetes and CVD, we propose that the IGF-I gene may provide a link between low birth weight and such diseases in later life. ..
- Rietveld I, Hofman A, Pols H, van Duijn C, Lamberts S, Janssen J. An insulin-like growth factor-I gene polymorphism modifies the risk of microalbuminuria in subjects with an abnormal glucose tolerance. Eur J Endocrinol. 2006;154:715-21 pubmed..Since MA is primarily associated with cardiovascular disease in subjects with AGT, our study suggests that variant carriers have a higher risk for cardiovascular disease than carriers of the wild type when they develop an AGT. ..
- Rosenthal R, Wohlleben H, Malek G, Schlichting L, Thieme H, Bowes Rickman C, et al. Insulin-like growth factor-1 contributes to neovascularization in age-related macular degeneration. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;323:1203-8 pubmed..Thus, in RPE cells IGF-1 stimulates the second messenger Ca(2+) and increases VEGF secretion which, in turn, induces neovascularization. ..
- Jernstrom H, Sandberg T, Bågeman E, Borg A, Olsson H. Insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF1) genotype predicts breast volume after pregnancy and hormonal contraception and is associated with circulating IGF-1 levels: implications for risk of early-onset breast cancer in young women from hereditary breast c. Br J Cancer. 2005;92:857-66 pubmed..002). Our results suggest that lack of the IGF1 19-repeat allele modifies IGF-1 levels, breast volume and possibly early-onset breast cancer risk after hormone exposure in young high-risk women. ..
- Verheus M, McKay J, Kaaks R, Canzian F, Biessy C, Johansson M, et al. Common genetic variation in the IGF-1 gene, serum IGF-I levels and breast density. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2008;112:109-22 pubmed..5 assuming prior probabilities of 0.01 and higher. Common genetic variation in the IGF-1 gene is related to circulating levels of IGF-I, but the relationship with breast density is indecisive. ..
- Popken G, Hodge R, Ye P, Zhang J, Ng W, O Kusky J, et al. In vivo effects of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) on prenatal and early postnatal development of the central nervous system. Eur J Neurosci. 2004;19:2056-68 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that IGF-I can both promote proliferation of neural cells in the embryonic central nervous system in vivo and inhibit their apoptosis during postnatal life. ..
- Chen C, Freeman R, Voigt L, Fitzpatrick A, Plymate S, Weiss N. Prostate cancer risk in relation to selected genetic polymorphisms in insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3, and insulin-like growth factor-I receptor. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2006;15:2461-6 pubmed..Our observation that men who do not carry two copies of the IGF-IR (AGG)7 allele are at increased risk of prostate cancer merits further investigation. ..
- Bendel S, Koivisto T, Ryynanen O, Ruokonen E, Romppanen J, Kiviniemi V, et al. Insulin like growth factor-I in acute subarachnoid hemorrhage: a prospective cohort study. Crit Care. 2010;14:R75 pubmed publisher..IGF-I concentrations are low during acute aSAH, which may have an impact on morbidity. ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier NCT00614887. ..
- Trejo J, Carro E, Garcia Galloway E, Torres Aleman I. Role of insulin-like growth factor I signaling in neurodegenerative diseases. J Mol Med (Berl). 2004;82:156-62 pubmed..In addition, loss of IGF-I input to specific neuronal populations might be the cause of a small group of neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- van Rijn M, Slooter A, Bos M, Catarino C, Koudstaal P, Hofman A, et al. Insulin-like growth factor I promoter polymorphism, risk of stroke, and survival after stroke: the Rotterdam study. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2006;77:24-7 pubmed..0 to 2.2). After an ischaemic stroke, this relative risk was 1.5 (95% CI: 0.9 to 2.6) and after a haemorrhagic stroke 5.2 (95% CI: 1.3 to 21.5). Our study suggests that IGF-I is a significant determinant of survival after stroke. ..
- Vaessen N, Janssen J, Heutink P, Hofman A, Lamberts S, Oostra B, et al. Association between genetic variation in the gene for insulin-like growth factor-I and low birthweight. Lancet. 2002;359:1036-7 pubmed..Our data lend support to the hypothesis that genetic variation affecting fetal growth could account for the association between low birthweight and susceptibility to diabetes and cardiovascular disease in later life. ..
- Greig C, Hameed M, Young A, Goldspink G, Noble B. Skeletal muscle IGF-I isoform expression in healthy women after isometric exercise. Growth Horm IGF Res. 2006;16:373-6 pubmed..To categorize mRNA expression of the IGF-I splice variants IGF-IEa and IGF-IEc (MGF) in healthy women, determine whether isometric exercise stimulates expression, and to determine the duration of the ..
- Firth S, Ganeshprasad U, Baxter R. Structural determinants of ligand and cell surface binding of insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:2631-8 pubmed..We conclude that residues 228-232 of IGFBP-3 are essential for cell association and are required for normal ALS binding affinity. ..
- San Millan J, Corton M, Villuendas G, Sancho J, Peral B, Escobar Morreale H. Association of the polycystic ovary syndrome with genomic variants related to insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes mellitus, and obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004;89:2640-6 pubmed
- Rietveld I, Janssen J, Hofman A, Pols H, van Duijn C, Lamberts S. A polymorphism in the IGF-I gene influences the age-related decline in circulating total IGF-I levels. Eur J Endocrinol. 2003;148:171-5 pubmed..We hypothesize that this IGF-I gene polymorphism directly or indirectly influences GH-mediated regulation of IGF-I secretion. ..
- Schildkraut J, Demark Wahnefried W, Wenham R, Grubber J, Jeffreys A, Grambow S, et al. IGF1 (CA)19 repeat and IGFBP3 -202 A/C genotypes and the risk of prostate cancer in Black and White men. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2005;14:403-8 pubmed..Further research is needed to confirm these findings. ..
- Yazdanpanah M, Rietveld I, Janssen J, Njajou O, Hofman A, Stijnen T, et al. An insulin-like growth factor-I promoter polymorphism is associated with increased mortality in subjects with myocardial infarction in an elderly Caucasian population. Am J Cardiol. 2006;97:1274-6 pubmed..10 to 2.10, p = 0.02). The risk of death increased with the number of variant alleles. Our study suggests that genetically determined low IGF-I activity is an important determinant of mortality in subjects with MI. ..
- Figer A, Karasik Y, Baruch R, Chetrit A, Papa M, Sade R, et al. Insulin-like growth factor I polymorphism and breast cancer risk in Jewish women. Isr Med Assoc J. 2002;4:759-62 pubmed..6%). The IGF-I polymorphism may serve as a marker for breast cancer risk in the general Jewish population, in particular non-Ashkenazi Jews, but extension and confirmation of these preliminary data are needed. ..
- Bonafe M, Barbieri M, Marchegiani F, Olivieri F, Ragno E, Giampieri C, et al. Polymorphic variants of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) receptor and phosphoinositide 3-kinase genes affect IGF-I plasma levels and human longevity: cues for an evolutionarily conserved mechanism of life span control. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003;88:3299-304 pubmed
- Cleveland R, Gammon M, Edmiston S, Teitelbaum S, Britton J, Terry M, et al. IGF1 CA repeat polymorphisms, lifestyle factors and breast cancer risk in the Long Island Breast Cancer Study Project. Carcinogenesis. 2006;27:758-65 pubmed..Our results demonstrate a role for alleles with fewer than (CA)19 repeats as a risk factor for breast cancer and also suggest that several traditional breast cancer risk factors modify the association of the IGF1 (CA)19 repeat genotype. ..
- Engstrom E, Niklasson A, Wikland K, Ewald U, Hellstrom A. The role of maternal factors, postnatal nutrition, weight gain, and gender in regulation of serum IGF-I among preterm infants. Pediatr Res. 2005;57:605-10 pubmed..These results indicate that the degree of prematurity, low enteral protein intake, male gender, and slow weight gain are associated with a slower postnatal increase of IGF-I in preterm infants. ..
- Cascio S, Bartella V, Garofalo C, Russo A, Giordano A, Surmacz E. Insulin-like growth factor 1 differentially regulates estrogen receptor-dependent transcription at estrogen response element and AP-1 sites in breast cancer cells. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:3498-506 pubmed..IGF-1 potentiated the effects of E2 on ERE but not to AP-1 and increased E2-dependent pS2, but not cyclin D1, mRNA expression. In conclusion, E2 and IGF-1 differentially regulate ER transcription at ERE and AP-1 sites. ..
- Thum T, Hoeber S, Froese S, Klink I, Stichtenoth D, Galuppo P, et al. Age-dependent impairment of endothelial progenitor cells is corrected by growth-hormone-mediated increase of insulin-like growth-factor-1. Circ Res. 2007;100:434-43 pubmed..Growth hormone-mediated increase in IGF-1 reverses age-related EPC dysfunction and may be a novel therapeutic strategy against vascular disorders with impairment of EPC. ..
- Grohmann M, Sabin M, Holly J, Shield J, Crowne E, Stewart C. Characterization of differentiated subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissue from children: the influences of TNF-alpha and IGF-I. J Lipid Res. 2005;46:93-103 pubmed..Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 enhanced differentiation equally. These observations may have important physiological and pharmacological implications for the development of obesity in later life. ..
- Aberg D. Role of the growth hormone/insulin-like growth factor 1 axis in neurogenesis. Endocr Dev. 2010;17:63-76 pubmed publisher..Theoretically these substances could be used to enhance recovery after brain injuries. However, further experiments with specific animal models for brain injuries are needed before clinical trials can be started. ..
- Chan J, Stampfer M, Ma J, Gann P, Gaziano J, Pollak M, et al. Insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) and IGF binding protein-3 as predictors of advanced-stage prostate cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2002;94:1099-106 pubmed..Circulating levels of IGF-I and IGFBP-3 may predict the risk of developing advanced-stage prostate cancer, but their utility for screening patients with incident prostate cancer may be limited. ..
- Federico G, Street M, Maghnie M, Caruso Nicoletti M, Loche S, Bertelloni S, et al. Assessment of serum IGF-I concentrations in the diagnosis of isolated childhood-onset GH deficiency: a proposal of the Italian Society for Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes (SIEDP/ISPED). J Endocrinol Invest. 2006;29:732-7 pubmed..We suggest an algorithm in which circulating levels of IGF-I together with the evaluation of auxological data, such as growth rate and growth, may be used to assess the likelihood of GHD in pre-pubertal children...
- McElholm A, McKnight A, Patterson C, Johnston B, Hardie L, Murray L. A population-based study of IGF axis polymorphisms and the esophageal inflammation, metaplasia, adenocarcinoma sequence. Gastroenterology. 2010;139:204-12.e3 pubmed publisher..These polymorphisms may be markers of disease risk; independent validation of our findings is required. These results suggest the IGF pathway is involved in EAC development. ..
- Ruigrok Y, Slooter A, Bardoel A, Frijns C, Rinkel G, Wijmenga C. Genes and outcome after aneurysmal subarachnoid haemorrhage. J Neurol. 2005;252:417-22 pubmed..SAH patients homozygote for the IGF-1 wild type allele or carriers of the TNF-A non-wild type allele have a higher risk of poor outcome. Additional studies in other populations are needed to assess the generalisability of our results. ..
- Chen X, Guan J, Song Y, Chen P, Zheng H, Tang C, et al. IGF-I (CA) repeat polymorphisms and risk of cancer: a meta-analysis. J Hum Genet. 2008;53:227-38 pubmed publisher..However, a larger single study is required to further evaluate the association IGF-I (CA)19 polymorphisms and the cancer risk in a specific population. ..
- Su X, Colditz G, Willett W, Collins L, Schnitt S, Connolly J, et al. Genetic variation and circulating levels of IGF-I and IGFBP-3 in relation to risk of proliferative benign breast disease. Int J Cancer. 2010;126:180-90 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that genetic variants and circulating levels of IGFBP-3 may play a role in the early stage of breast carcinogenesis. ..
- Melnik B, Schmitz G. Role of insulin, insulin-like growth factor-1, hyperglycaemic food and milk consumption in the pathogenesis of acne vulgaris. Exp Dermatol. 2009;18:833-41 pubmed publisher..Persistent acne in adulthood with high IGF-1 levels may be considered as an indicator for increased risk of cancer, which may require appropriate dietary intervention as well as treatment with insulin-sensitizing agents. ..
- Fehringer G, Ozcelik H, Knight J, Paterson A, Dite G, Giles G, et al. Family-based association study of IGF1 microsatellites and height, weight, and body mass index. J Hum Genet. 2010;55:255-8 pubmed publisher..This study does not support an association between IGF1 and these anthropometric measures. Study limitations, including sample size and capturing genetic variation at IGF1 with these markers, could mean associations were missed. ..
- Ruidavets J, Luc G, Machez E, Genoux A, Kee F, Arveiler D, et al. Effects of insulin-like growth factor 1 in preventing acute coronary syndromes: the PRIME study. Atherosclerosis. 2011;218:464-9 pubmed publisher..However, interaction between the two markers was not significant. Like HDL markers, high levels of IGF-1 confer protection against coronary artery disease. ..
- Sesti G, Sciacqua A, Cardellini M, Marini M, Maio R, Vatrano M, et al. Plasma concentration of IGF-I is independently associated with insulin sensitivity in subjects with different degrees of glucose tolerance. Diabetes Care. 2005;28:120-5 pubmed..These data indicate that IGF-I has the characteristics to be a marker for the insulin resistance syndrome. This suggests that low IGF-I levels may be a useful marker for identifying subjects at risk for cardiovascular disease. ..
- Wagner K, Hemminki K, Israelsson E, Grzybowska E, Söderberg M, Pamula J, et al. Polymorphisms in the IGF-1 and IGFBP 3 promoter and the risk of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2005;92:133-40 pubmed..76, 95% CI 1.44-v-9.81, p=0.006). Thus, the polymorphisms in the IGF-1 and IGFBP 3 genes associated with an increased risk of breast cancer in familial cases carrying the variant alleles. ..