Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ICAM-1
Description: intercellular adhesion molecule 1
Alias: BB2, CD54, P3.58, intercellular adhesion molecule 1, ICAM-1, cell surface glycoprotein P3.58, intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (CD54), human rhinovirus receptor, major group rhinovirus receptor
- Thanopoulou E, Kotzamanis G, Pateras I, Ziras N, Papalambros A, Mariolis Sapsakos T, et al. The single nucleotide polymorphism g.1548A >G (K469E) of the ICAM-1 gene is associated with worse prognosis in non-small cell lung cancer. Tumour Biol. 2012;33:1429-36 pubmed publisher..These genetic backgrounds may confer a selective advantage for dissemination of tumor cells with high metastatic potential compared to GG genotype. ..
- Shaker O, Zahra A, Sayed A, Refaat A, El Khaiat Z, Hegazy G, et al. Role of ICAM-1 and E-selectin gene polymorphisms in pathogenesis of PAOD in Egyptian patients. Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2010;6:9-15 pubmed..S128R and K469E polymorphisms were associated with increased risk in PAOD. Early detection of these polymorphic genes helps in early prophylaxis against PAOD. ..
- Chen P, Lin T, Cheng H, Tang C. CCN3 increases cell motility and ICAM-1 expression in prostate cancer cells. Carcinogenesis. 2012;33:937-45 pubmed publisher..CCN3 thus represents a promising new target for treating prostate cancer. ..
- Buraczynska M, Zaluska W, Baranowicz Gaszczyk I, Buraczynska K, Niemczyk E, Ksiazek A. The intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) gene polymorphism K469E in end-stage renal disease patients with cardiovascular disease. Hum Immunol. 2012;73:824-8 pubmed publisher..In the multivariate regression analysis the carrier status of T allele of K469E was an independent risk factor of susceptibility to CVD. Our data suggest that the ICAM-1 K469E polymorphism is associated with CVD in ESRD patients. ..
- Hsu L, Chang C, Wu S, Teng M, Chou H, Chang H, et al. Association between functional variants of the ICAM1 and CRP genes and metabolic syndrome in Taiwanese subjects. Metabolism. 2010;59:1710-6 pubmed publisher..These findings will contribute toward a better understanding of the mechanism of association between inflammatory markers and the risk of developing atherosclerotic disease. ..
- Vasiliver Shamis G, Cho M, Hioe C, Dustin M. Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 envelope gp120-induced partial T-cell receptor signaling creates an F-actin-depleted zone in the virological synapse. J Virol. 2009;83:11341-55 pubmed publisher..cell polarizes and releases virions toward the noninfected target cell in a gp120- and intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1)-dependent process. The response of the target cell has been less studied...
- Abhary S, Hewitt A, Burdon K, Craig J. A systematic meta-analysis of genetic association studies for diabetic retinopathy. Diabetes. 2009;58:2137-47 pubmed publisher..Identification of genetic risk factors in diabetic retinopathy will assist in further understanding of this complex and debilitating diabetes complication. ..
- Yu H, Lin T, Tang C. Involvement of intercellular adhesion molecule-1 up-regulation in bradykinin promotes cell motility in human prostate cancers. Int J Mol Sci. 2013;14:13329-45 pubmed publisher..Thus, BK represents a promising new target for treating prostate cancer metastasis...
- Owens R, Gu X, Shin M, Springer T, Jin M. Engineering of single Ig superfamily domain of intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1) for native fold and function. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:15906-15 pubmed publisher..The systematic approach demonstrated in this study to engineer a single Ig superfamily fold in ICAM-1 can be broadly applicable to the engineering of modular Ig superfamily domains in other cell surface molecules. ..
- Yang C, Luo S, Hsieh H, Chi P, Lin C, Wu C, et al. Interleukin-1beta induces ICAM-1 expression enhancing leukocyte adhesion in human rheumatoid arthritis synovial fibroblasts: involvement of ERK, JNK, AP-1, and NF-kappaB. J Cell Physiol. 2010;224:516-26 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that in human RASFs, activation of ERK, JNK, AP-1, and NF-kappaB are essential for IL-1beta-induced ICAM-1 expression and leukocyte adhesion. ..
- Bielinski S, Reiner A, Nickerson D, Carlson C, Bailey K, Thyagarajan B, et al. Polymorphisms in the ICAM1 gene predict circulating soluble intercellular adhesion molecule-1(sICAM-1). Atherosclerosis. 2011;216:390-4 pubmed publisher..However, ICAM1 SNPs were not strongly related to either IMT or CAC. Our findings in CARDIA suggest that ICAM1 variants are not major early contributors to subclinical atherosclerosis. ..
- Pare G, Ridker P, Rose L, Barbalic M, Dupuis J, Dehghan A, et al. Genome-wide association analysis of soluble ICAM-1 concentration reveals novel associations at the NFKBIK, PNPLA3, RELA, and SH2B3 loci. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1001374 pubmed publisher..These associations provide insights into the genetic regulation of sICAM-1 levels and implicate these loci in the regulation of endothelial function. ..
- Brown A, Turner L, Christoffersen S, Andrews K, Szestak T, Zhao Y, et al. Molecular architecture of a complex between an adhesion protein from the malaria parasite and intracellular adhesion molecule 1. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:5992-6003 pubmed publisher..They show that it combines a modular domain arrangement consisting of individual ligand binding domains, with a defined higher order architecture that exposes the ICAM-1 binding surface to allow adhesion. ..
- Kim K, Brown E, Choi C, Alarcon Riquelme M, Kelly J, Glenn S, et al. Variation in the ICAM1-ICAM4-ICAM5 locus is associated with systemic lupus erythematosus susceptibility in multiple ancestries. Ann Rheum Dis. 2012;71:1809-14 pubmed publisher..08 compared with those with no risk allele in either SNP (95% CI 2.09 to 7.98; p=3.91×10(-5)). These findings are the first to suggest that an ICAM-integrin-mediated pathway contributes to susceptibility to SLE. ..
- Ji Y, Wang Q, Zhan P. Intercellular adhesion molecule 1 gene K469E polymorphism is associated with coronary heart disease risk: a meta-analysis involving 12 studies. Mol Biol Rep. 2012;39:6043-8 pubmed publisher..This meta-analysis suggests that the ICAM1 gene K469E polymorphism is associated with CHD risk and the K allele is a more significant risk factor for developing CHD among Asian and Caucasians populations. ..
- Tian M, Sun Y, Li Z, Wu Y, Zhao A, Li J. Polymorphisms of ICAM-1 are associated with gastric cancer risk and prognosis. World J Gastroenterol. 2012;18:368-74 pubmed publisher..145; 95% CI: 0.851-1.540; P = 0.370). Polymorphisms of ICAM-1 K469E can be a useful biomarker for identifying individuals with higher risk of GC, predicting disease progression, and guiding individualized treatment. ..
- Usami Y, Ishida K, Sato S, Kishino M, Kiryu M, Ogawa Y, et al. Intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) expression correlates with oral cancer progression and induces macrophage/cancer cell adhesion. Int J Cancer. 2013;133:568-78 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that ICAM-1 plays an important role in tongue SCC progression, which may result from the SCC-cell activity, angiogenic activity, lymphangiogenic activity and macrophage/SCC-cell adhesion. ..
- Barbalic M, Dupuis J, Dehghan A, Bis J, Hoogeveen R, Schnabel R, et al. Large-scale genomic studies reveal central role of ABO in sP-selectin and sICAM-1 levels. Hum Mol Genet. 2010;19:1863-72 pubmed publisher..These results provide new insights into adhesion molecule biology. ..
- Kwon H, Sohn I, Hwang H, Park Y. Intercellular adhesion molecule-1 K469E polymorphism: Is it associated with preeclampsia in the Korean population?. J Reprod Med. 2012;57:148-52 pubmed..The frequencies of the KK genotype and the K allele were higher in the preeclampsia group than those in the control group. However, there was no statistically significant difference. ..
- Shyu L, Yeh T, Chang H, Lin D, Teng Y, Chen L, et al. Macrophage migration inhibitory factor induces ICAM-1and thrombomobulin expression in vitro. Thromb Res. 2012;129:43-9 pubmed publisher..Besides, anti-MIF antibody treatment reduced the TM expression in HMEC-1 cells. In conclusion, our data support a role of MIF as an important factor in the regulation of coagulation. ..
- Pare G, Cook N, Ridker P, Chasman D. On the use of variance per genotype as a tool to identify quantitative trait interaction effects: a report from the Women's Genome Health Study. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1000981 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the utility of our approach and provide novel genetic insight into the relationship among obesity, smoking, and inflammation. ..
- van Buul J, van Rijssel J, van Alphen F, Hoogenboezem M, Tol S, Hoeben K, et al. Inside-out regulation of ICAM-1 dynamics in TNF-alpha-activated endothelium. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11336 pubmed publisher..Overall, these data indicate that signaling events within the endothelium are required for efficient ICAM-1-mediated leukocyte adhesion. ..
- Schröder C, Witzel I, Muller V, Krenkel S, Wirtz R, Janicke F, et al. Prognostic value of intercellular adhesion molecule (ICAM)-1 expression in breast cancer. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2011;137:1193-201 pubmed publisher..In our group of patients, ICAM-1 expression was associated with a more aggressive tumour phenotype. Because of its association with malignant progression, ICAM-1 might represent a new target in the treatment of breast cancer patients. ..
- Balasubbu S, Sundaresan P, Rajendran A, Ramasamy K, Govindarajan G, Perumalsamy N, et al. Association analysis of nine candidate gene polymorphisms in Indian patients with type 2 diabetic retinopathy. BMC Med Genet. 2010;11:158 pubmed publisher..07. No statistical significance was observed for SNPs in the other 7 genes studied. This study confirms significant association of one polymorphism only (rs2070600 in RAGE) with DR in an Indian population which had T2DM. ..
- Tse M, Chakrabarti K, Gray C, Chitnis C, Craig A. Divergent binding sites on intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) for variant Plasmodium falciparum isolates. Mol Microbiol. 2004;51:1039-49 pubmed..The definition of common binding determinants and the elucidation of links between ICAM-1 binding phenotype and disease will provide new leads in the design of therapeutic interventions. ..
- Nowak M, Wielkoszyński T, Marek B, Kos Kudła B, Swietochowska E, Sieminska L, et al. Blood serum levels of vascular cell adhesion molecule (sVCAM-1), intercellular adhesion molecule (sICAM-1) and endothelial leucocyte adhesion molecule-1 (ELAM-1) in diabetic retinopathy. Clin Exp Med. 2008;8:159-64 pubmed publisher..005) and with group 1 (81.2 +/- 27.7 ng/ml, p < 0.05). The correlations found between sVCAM-1, sICAM-1 and sELAM-1 and the presence of retinopathy suggest that cellular adhesion and neovascularization may be linked processes. ..
- Greve J, Davis G, Meyer A, Forte C, Yost S, Marlor C, et al. The major human rhinovirus receptor is ICAM-1. Cell. 1989;56:839-47 pubmed..Thus, the major human rhinovirus receptor is ICAM-1. The gene for this receptor maps to human chromosome 19, which also contains the genes for a number of other picornavirus receptors. ..
- Adamiec Mroczek J, Oficjalska Młyńczak J, Misiuk Hojło M. Proliferative diabetic retinopathy-The influence of diabetes control on the activation of the intraocular molecule system. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2009;84:46-50 pubmed publisher..A significant positive correlation of VCAM-1 increase in the vitreous with HbA(1)c is an important argument for the influence of diabetes on immuno-inflammatory activation in the retinal microcirculation. ..
- Rahn J, Chow J, Horne G, Mah B, Emerman J, Hoffman P, et al. MUC1 mediates transendothelial migration in vitro by ligating endothelial cell ICAM-1. Clin Exp Metastasis. 2005;22:475-83 pubmed..This has implications for the exit of circulating tumour cells from the vasculature, as well as tumour cell migration through fibroblast-containing stroma underlying the endothelial wall. ..
- Harning R, Mainolfi E, Bystryn J, Henn M, Merluzzi V, Rothlein R. Serum levels of circulating intercellular adhesion molecule 1 in human malignant melanoma. Cancer Res. 1991;51:5003-5 pubmed..We suggest that elevated levels of serum cICAM-1 may be of diagnostic and prognostic importance in patients with malignant cutaneous melanoma. ..
- Dhawan S, Puri R, Kumar A, Duplan H, Masson J, Aggarwal B. Human immunodeficiency virus-1-tat protein induces the cell surface expression of endothelial leukocyte adhesion molecule-1, vascular cell adhesion molecule-1, and intercellular adhesion molecule-1 in human endothelial cells. Blood. 1997;90:1535-44 pubmed..Our results thus indicate that the HIV-tat protein can activate human vascular EC to induce the expression of various adhesion molecules that may play a role in the extravasation of HIV-infected cells. ..
- Jimenez D, Roda Navarro P, Springer T, Casasnovas J. Contribution of N-linked glycans to the conformation and function of intercellular adhesion molecules (ICAMs). J Biol Chem. 2005;280:5854-61 pubmed..N-Linked glycosylation regulate both conformation and immune related functions of ICAM receptors. ..
- Lawson C, Holder A, Stanford R, Smith J, Rose M. Anti-intercellular adhesion molecule-1 antibodies in sera of heart transplant recipients: a role in endothelial cell activation. Transplantation. 2005;80:264-71 pubmed..Such antibodies may contribute to the endothelial activation by binding to the endothelium, causing activation of proinflammatory signaling pathways. ..
- Clark P, Manes T, Pober J, Kluger M. Increased ICAM-1 expression causes endothelial cell leakiness, cytoskeletal reorganization and junctional alterations. J Invest Dermatol. 2007;127:762-74 pubmed..Induction of ICAM-1 may contribute to but does not fully account for TNF-induced vascular leak and EC shape change. ..
- Mousavi S, Nikseresht A, Arandi N, Borhani Haghighi A, Ghaderi A. Intercellular adhesion molecule-1 gene polymorphism in Iranian patients with multiple sclerosis. Eur J Neurol. 2007;14:1397-9 pubmed..We concluded that role of the ICAM-1 gene polymorphisms in the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis is still controversial and should be studied further. ..
- van Buul J, Allingham M, Samson T, Meller J, Boulter E, Garcia Mata R, et al. RhoG regulates endothelial apical cup assembly downstream from ICAM1 engagement and is involved in leukocyte trans-endothelial migration. J Cell Biol. 2007;178:1279-93 pubmed..Together, these results identify a new signaling pathway involving RhoG and its exchange factor SGEF downstream from ICAM1 that is critical for leukocyte TEM. ..
- Johnson L, Clasper S, Holt A, Lalor P, Baban D, Jackson D. An inflammation-induced mechanism for leukocyte transmigration across lymphatic vessel endothelium. J Exp Med. 2006;203:2763-77 pubmed..lymphatic endothelial cells (LECs), leading to expression of the key leukocyte adhesion receptors intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1), vascular cell adhesion molecule 1 (VCAM-1), and E-selectin, as well as a discrete panel of ..
- Pare G, Chasman D, Kellogg M, Zee R, Rifai N, Badola S, et al. Novel association of ABO histo-blood group antigen with soluble ICAM-1: results of a genome-wide association study of 6,578 women. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000118 pubmed publisherWhile circulating levels of soluble Intercellular Adhesion Molecule 1 (sICAM-1) have been associated with diverse conditions including myocardial infarction, stroke, malaria, and diabetes, comprehensive analysis of the common genetic ..
- Carman C, Jun C, Salas A, Springer T. Endothelial cells proactively form microvilli-like membrane projections upon intercellular adhesion molecule 1 engagement of leukocyte LFA-1. J Immunol. 2003;171:6135-44 pubmed..This finding leaves open a possible role in leukocyte transendothelial migration, which would be consistent with the geometry and kinetics of formation of the cup-like structure. ..
- Zhang S, Xu L, Gao Q, Zhang H, Xu B, Lin J, et al. [The correlation between ICAM-1 gene K469E polymorphism and coronary heart disease]. Zhonghua Yi Xue Yi Chuan Xue Za Zhi. 2006;23:205-7 pubmed..35, 95%CI: 1.03-5.36, P<0.05). ICAM1 gene K469E polymorphism is associated with CHD risk of Han Chinese population, the K allele may serve as a genetic risk factor of coronary heart disease. ..
- Jiang H, Klein R, Niederacher D, Du M, Marx R, Horlitz M, et al. C/T polymorphism of the intercellular adhesion molecule-1 gene (exon 6, codon 469). A risk factor for coronary heart disease and myocardial infarction. Int J Cardiol. 2002;84:171-7 pubmed..These results suggest that the TT and TC genotype of the ICAM-1 gene polymorphism in codon 469 is a genetic factor that may determine an individual's susceptibility for CHD and MI. ..
- Song Y, Manson J, Tinker L, Rifai N, Cook N, Hu F, et al. Circulating levels of endothelial adhesion molecules and risk of diabetes in an ethnically diverse cohort of women. Diabetes. 2007;56:1898-904 pubmed..S. postmenopausal women, implicating an etiological role of endothelial dysfunction in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes. ..
- Tchinda V, Tadem A, Tako E, Tene G, Fogako J, Nyonglema P, et al. Severe malaria in Cameroonian children: correlation between plasma levels of three soluble inducible adhesion molecules and TNF-alpha. Acta Trop. 2007;102:20-8 pubmed..Taken together, these results confirm the role of TNF-alpha and the three adhesion molecules in pathogenic processes associated with severe malaria in children, and suggest an association between sICAM-1 and severe malarial anemia. ..
- Staunton D, Marlin S, Stratowa C, Dustin M, Springer T. Primary structure of ICAM-1 demonstrates interaction between members of the immunoglobulin and integrin supergene families. Cell. 1988;52:925-33 pubmedb>Intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1) is a 90 kd inducible surface glycoprotein that promotes adhesion in immunological and inflammatory reactions...
- Petrovic M, Osredkar J, Saraga Babic M, Petrovic D. K469E polymorphism of the intracellular adhesion molecule 1 gene is associated with proliferative diabetic retinopathy in Caucasians with type 2 diabetes. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2008;36:468-72 pubmed..We may conclude that the EE genotype of the K469E polymorphism of the ICAM-1 might be a risk factor for PDR in the Slovenian population (Caucasians) with type 2 diabetes. ..
- Albert M, Glynn R, Buring J, Ridker P. Differential effect of soluble intercellular adhesion molecule-1 on the progression of atherosclerosis as compared to arterial thrombosis: a prospective analysis of the Women's Health Study. Atherosclerosis. 2008;197:297-302 pubmed
- Millan J, Hewlett L, Glyn M, Toomre D, Clark P, Ridley A. Lymphocyte transcellular migration occurs through recruitment of endothelial ICAM-1 to caveola- and F-actin-rich domains. Nat Cell Biol. 2006;8:113-23 pubmed
- Baratin M, Roetynck S, Pouvelle B, Lemmers C, Viebig N, Johansson S, et al. Dissection of the role of PfEMP1 and ICAM-1 in the sensing of Plasmodium-falciparum-infected erythrocytes by natural killer cells. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e228 pubmed..PfEMP1-independent but ICAM-1/LFA-1-dependent events occurring during NK cell activation by Pf highlight the fundamental role of cellular cooperation during innate immune response to malaria. ..
- Kolatkar P, Bella J, Olson N, Bator C, Baker T, Rossmann M. Structural studies of two rhinovirus serotypes complexed with fragments of their cellular receptor. EMBO J. 1999;18:6249-59 pubmed..The complexes seen in the image reconstructions probably represent the first stage of a multistep binding process. A mechanism is proposed for the subsequent viral uncoating process. ..
- Ma J, Möllsten A, Prázný M, Falhammar H, Brismar K, Dahlquist G, et al. Genetic influences of the intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1) gene polymorphisms in development of Type 1 diabetes and diabetic nephropathy. Diabet Med. 2006;23:1093-9 pubmed..035). The present study provided evidence that SNPs rs281432(C/G) and rs5498 E469K(A/G) in the ICAM-1 gene confer susceptibility to the development of T1D and might also be associated with diabetic nephropathy in Swedish Caucasians. ..
- Finzel A, Reininger A, Bode P, Wurzinger L. ICAM-1 supports adhesion of human small-cell lung carcinoma to endothelial cells. Clin Exp Metastasis. 2004;21:185-9 pubmed..After blocking endothelial ICAM-1 with monoclonal antibodies, adhesion was significantly reduced. These results pinpoint ICAM-1 for the first time as a molecule crucially involved in SCLC cell-endothelial adhesion. ..
- Wang J, Kwas C, Wu L. Intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1), but not ICAM-2 and -3, is important for dendritic cell-mediated human immunodeficiency virus type 1 transmission. J Virol. 2009;83:4195-204 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data clarified the role of ICAMs in DC-mediated HIV-1 transmission to CD4(+) T cells. ..
- Borozdenkova S, Smith J, Marshall S, Yacoub M, Rose M. Identification of ICAM-1 polymorphism that is associated with protection from transplant associated vasculopathy after cardiac transplantation. Hum Immunol. 2001;62:247-55 pubmed..Our data suggest the presence of allele E469 ICAM-1 in either donor or recipient is protective against allograft rejection in a transplant setting. ..
- Casasnovas J, Stehle T, Liu J, Wang J, Springer T. A dimeric crystal structure for the N-terminal two domains of intercellular adhesion molecule-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:4134-9 pubmedThe 3.0-A structure of a 190-residue fragment of intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1, CD54) reveals two tandem Ig-superfamily (IgSF) domains...
- Chakravorty S, Craig A. The role of ICAM-1 in Plasmodium falciparum cytoadherence. Eur J Cell Biol. 2005;84:15-27 pubmed..The review also discusses the complexity of the PRBC-endothelial cell interaction and the mechanisms that underlie parasite cytoadherence. ..
- Kanters E, van Rijssel J, Hensbergen P, Hondius D, Mul F, Deelder A, et al. Filamin B mediates ICAM-1-driven leukocyte transendothelial migration. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:31830-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study identifies filamin B as a molecular linker that mediates ICAM-1-driven transendothelial migration. ..
- Yokoyama H, Tahara H, Emoto M, Fujiwara S, Araki T, Shinohara K, et al. The K469E polymorphism of the intercellular adhesion molecule-1 gene is associated with plasma fibrinogen level in type 2 diabetes. Metabolism. 2005;54:381-6 pubmed
- Holder A, Wolf S, Walshe C, Pandya P, Stanford R, Smith J, et al. Expression of endothelial intercellular adhesion molecule-1 is determined by genotype: effects on efficiency of leukocyte adhesion to human endothelial cells. Hum Immunol. 2008;69:71-8 pubmed publisher..This may explain the previously described associations of ICAM-1 polymorphisms with chronic inflammatory disease. ..
- Wakatsuki T, Kimura K, Kimura F, Shinomiya N, Ohtsubo M, Ishizawa M, et al. A distinct mRNA encoding a soluble form of ICAM-1 molecule expressed in human tissues. Cell Adhes Commun. 1995;3:283-92 pubmed..Inflammatory cytokines displayed a complex pattern in the ICAM-1 mRNA expression depending on the combination of cytokines and the cultured cell lines used. ..
- Fernandez Reyes D, Craig A, Kyes S, Peshu N, Snow R, Berendt A, et al. A high frequency African coding polymorphism in the N-terminal domain of ICAM-1 predisposing to cerebral malaria in Kenya. Hum Mol Genet. 1997;6:1357-60 pubmed..cells to small vessel endothelium through several receptors, including CD36, thrombospondin and intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1, CD54), and parasite isolates differ in their ability to bind to each...
- Stins M, Shen Y, Huang S, Gilles F, Kalra V, Kim K. Gp120 activates children's brain endothelial cells via CD4. J Neurovirol. 2001;7:125-34 pubmed..Gp120-induced monocyte migration was inhibited by anti-gp120 and anti-CD4 antibodies. This is the first demonstration that gp120 activates HBMEC via CD4, which may contribute to the development of HIV-1 encephalopathy in children. ..
- Chen H, Hernandez W, Shriver M, Ahaghotu C, Kittles R. ICAM gene cluster SNPs and prostate cancer risk in African Americans. Hum Genet. 2006;120:69-76 pubmed..01). Our results replicate previous findings of association of the ICAM gene cluster with prostate cancer and suggest that common genetic variation within ICAM1 and not ICAM5 may be an important risk factor for prostate cancer. ..
- Clark P, Jordan F, Pearson C, Walker I, Sattar N, Ellison J, et al. Intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) expression is upregulated by thrombin in human monocytes and THP-1 cells in vitro and in pregnant subjects in vivo. Thromb Haemost. 2003;89:1043-51 pubmed
- Nejentsev S, Guja C, McCormack R, Cooper J, Howson J, Nutland S, et al. Association of intercellular adhesion molecule-1 gene with type 1 diabetes. Lancet. 2003;362:1723-4 pubmed..91, p=0.03; 446 families, 0.60, p=0.006). Our data indicate an aetiological role for ICAM-1 in type 1 diabetes, which needs to be confirmed in future genetic and functional experiments. ..
- Springer A, Smith L, Mackay D, Nelson S, Smith J. Functional interdependence of the DBLbeta domain and c2 region for binding of the Plasmodium falciparum variant antigen to ICAM-1. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2004;137:55-64 pubmed..Infected erythrocyte binding to Intercellular Adhesion Molecule 1 (ICAM-1) has been implicated as having a role in cerebral malaria, a major cause of death from P...
- Aminian B, Abdi Ardekani A, Arandi N. ICAM-1 polymorphisms (G241R, K469E), in coronary artery disease and myocardial infarction. Iran J Immunol. 2007;4:227-35 pubmed..1% vs. 27.3%, P=0.66). No strong relation was found between G241R and K469E polymorphisms and occurrence of CHD and MI in the studied population from Fars province, Iran. ..
- Barreiro O, Yanez Mo M, Serrador J, Montoya M, Vicente Manzanares M, Tejedor R, et al. Dynamic interaction of VCAM-1 and ICAM-1 with moesin and ezrin in a novel endothelial docking structure for adherent leukocytes. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:1233-45 pubmed..These results provide the first characterization of an endothelial docking structure that plays a key role in the firm adhesion of leukocytes to the endothelium during inflammation. ..
- Wang Q, Pfeiffer G, Gaarde W. Activation of SRC tyrosine kinases in response to ICAM-1 ligation in pulmonary microvascular endothelial cells. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:47731-43 pubmed
- Milutinovic A, Petrovic D. The K469E polymorphism of the intracellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1) gene is not associated with myocardial infarction in Caucasians with type 2 diabetes. Folia Biol (Praha). 2006;52:79-80 pubmed..5). In conclusion, the K469E polymorphism of the ICAM-1 gene was not associated with MI in patients with type 2 diabetes, and therefore may not be used as a genetic marker for MI in patients with type 2 diabetes. ..
- Li X, Liu J, Cheng J, Han S, Geng Y, Wei S, et al. Intercellular adhesion molecule-1 gene K469E polymorphism and ischemic stroke: a case-control study in a Chinese population. Mol Biol Rep. 2009;36:1565-71 pubmed publisher..54, P = 0.001). It is suggested that the ICAM-1 469E allele may be important in the pathogenesis of ischemic stroke, especially in female but not in male. ..
- Lu F, Shang Q, Wen P, Su G, Wu J, Tian Q, et al. [A study on K469E polymorphism of ICAM1 gene and ICAM1 plasma level in patients with coronary heart disease]. Zhonghua Yi Xue Yi Chuan Xue Za Zhi. 2006;23:195-7 pubmedTo study the linkage between K469E polymorphism of intercellular adhesion molecule 1(ICAM1) gene with ICAM1 plasma level and coronary heart disease (CHD) in Han population of China...
- Arikan C, Berdeli A, Kilic M, Tumgor G, Yagci R, Aydogdu S. Polymorphisms of the ICAM-1 gene are associated with biliary atresia. Dig Dis Sci. 2008;53:2000-4 pubmed publisher..There was not significant correlation between PELD score and ICAM-1 genotypes both in BA and CLD groups. These findings provide evidence for the possible role of ICAM-1 241R polymorphism in BA pathogenesis. ..
- Rahn J, Shen Q, Mah B, Hugh J. MUC1 initiates a calcium signal after ligation by intercellular adhesion molecule-1. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:29386-90 pubmed