Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: HSD17B2
Description: hydroxysteroid 17-beta dehydrogenase 2
Alias: EDH17B2, HSD17, SDR9C2, estradiol 17-beta-dehydrogenase 2, 17-beta-HSD 2, 17-beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2, 20 alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase, 20-alpha-HSD, E2DH, microsomal 17-beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase, short chain dehydrogenase/reductase family 9C member 2, testosterone 17-beta-dehydrogenase
- Burleigh A, McKinney S, Brimhall J, Yap D, Eirew P, Poon S, et al. A co-culture genome-wide RNAi screen with mammary epithelial cells reveals transmembrane signals required for growth and differentiation. Breast Cancer Res. 2015;17:4 pubmed publisher..majority of genes (43 of 47) identified in two dimensions were also required for three-dimensional growth, with HSD17B2, SNN and PROCR showing greater than tenfold reductions in acinar formation...
- Gao X, Dai C, Huang S, Tang J, Chen G, Li J, et al. Functional Silencing of HSD17B2 in Prostate Cancer Promotes Disease Progression. Clin Cancer Res. 2019;25:1291-1301 pubmed publisher..Here we characterized the clinical relevance, significance, and regulation mechanism of enzyme HSD17B2 in prostate cancer development...
- Nyante S, Gammon M, Kaufman J, Bensen J, Lin D, Barnholtz Sloan J, et al. Genetic variation in estrogen and progesterone pathway genes and breast cancer risk: an exploration of tumor subtype-specific effects. Cancer Causes Control. 2015;26:121-31 pubmed publisher..ESR1), 3-beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type I (HSD3B1), 17-beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type II (HSD17B2), progesterone receptor (PGR), and sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) and breast cancer risk in a case-control ..
- Wu Wong J, Li X, Chen Y. Different vitamin D receptor agonists exhibit differential effects on endothelial function and aortic gene expression in 5/6 nephrectomized rats. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2015;148:202-9 pubmed publisher..Real-time RT-PCR analysis confirmed that selected genes such as Abra, Apoa4, Fabp2, Hsd17b2, and Hspa1b affected by uremia were normalized by the vitamin D analogs with alfacalcidol exhibiting less of an ..
- Osiński M, Wirstlein P, Wender Ozegowska E, Mikołajczyk M, Jagodziński P, Szczepańska M. HSD3B2, HSD17B1, HSD17B2, ESR1, ESR2 and AR expression in infertile women with endometriosis. Ginekol Pol. 2018;89:125-134 pubmed publisher..genes encoding the 3?-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type II (HSD3B2) and 17?-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type II (HSD17B2), estrogen receptors 1 (ESR1) and 2 (ESR2) and the androgen receptor (AR)...
- Cornu J, Audet Walsh E, Drouin S, Bigot P, Valeri A, Fournier G, et al. Correlation between prostate volume and single nucleotide polymorphisms implicated in the steroid pathway. World J Urol. 2017;35:293-298 pubmed publisher..in or nearby genes implicated in steroid hormone metabolism were significantly associated with prostate volume: HSD17B2 (rs1119933), ESR2 (rs8006145), SULT2B1 (rs279451), NQO1 (rs2917670), ESR1 (rs1569788), GSTP1 (rs1138272), and ..
- Barthold J, Pugarelli J, Macdonald M, Ren J, Adetunji M, Polson S, et al. Polygenic inheritance of cryptorchidism susceptibility in the LE/orl rat. Mol Hum Reprod. 2016;22:18-34 pubmed publisher..intronic insertion in Ncoa4 (an AR coactivator) and potentially deleterious variants in Solh/Capn15, Ankrd28, and Hsd17b2. Existing WGS data indicate that homozygosity for these combined alleles does not occur in any other sequenced ..
- Huuskonen P, Amezaga M, Bellingham M, Jones L, Storvik M, Häkkinen M, et al. The human placental proteome is affected by maternal smoking. Reprod Toxicol. 2016;63:22-31 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, transcript expression of CYP1A1 and CYP4B1 were induced while HSD17B2, NFKB and TGFB1 were repressed by smoking...
- Cornel K, Krakstad C, Delvoux B, Xanthoulea S, Jori B, Bongers M, et al. High mRNA levels of 17?-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 correlate with poor prognosis in endometrial cancer. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2017;442:51-57 pubmed publisher..a) the balance between 17?-hydroxysteroid-dehydrogenase-type 1 (HSD17B1), that generates active estrogens, and HSD17B2, converting active into poorly active compounds; (b) the balance between steroid sulphatase (STS, that activates ..
- Pavone M, Malpani S, Dyson M, Bulun S. Altered retinoid signaling compromises decidualization in human endometriotic stromal cells. Reproduction. 2017;154:207-216 pubmed publisher..endometrial stromal cells, act on nearby epithelial cells to induce the estradiol metabolizing enzyme HSD17B2. This same induction is not seen in endometriotic stromal cells...
- Zhao Y, Hou Y, Liu F, Liu A, Jing L, Zhao C, et al. Transcriptome Analysis Reveals that Vitamin A Metabolism in the Liver Affects Feed Efficiency in Pigs. G3 (Bethesda). 2016;6:3615-3624 pubmed publisher..i>FASN, SCD, CYP2J2, and ANKRD23), and steroid hormone metabolism (CYP1A1, HSD17B2, and UGT2B4) were significantly upregulated in the liver of high-FE pigs...
- Yaeger R, Nolan P, Su T, Avila Bront A, Wang X, Cheung Y, et al. 17HSD 2 may be higher in African-American breast cancer and is associated with estrogen receptor-negative tumors. Cancer Genomics Proteomics. 2007;4:341-8 pubmed..Overexpression of 17HSD 2 in African-American breast cancer may contribute to the increased proportion of estrogen receptor-negative breast cancers and worse clinical outcome among African-American patients. ..
- Yamagata Y, Takaki E, Shinagawa M, Okada M, Jozaki K, Lee L, et al. Retinoic acid has the potential to suppress endometriosis development. J Ovarian Res. 2015;8:49 pubmed publisher..In addition, ATRA treatment decreased the mRNA expression of 17-beta-dehydrogenase 2 (HSD17B2) which converts estradiol into estrone in a dose-dependent manner, and the ELISA measurements indicated that ..
- Lee Y, He H, Shiue Y, Lee S, Lin L, Wu T, et al. The prognostic impact of lipid biosynthesis-associated markers, HSD17B2 and HMGCS2, in rectal cancer treated with neoadjuvant concurrent chemoradiotherapy. Tumour Biol. 2015;36:7675-83 pubmed publisher..published gene expression profiling database focusing on genes associated with lipid biosynthesis, we found that HSD17B2 and HMGCS2 were the top two significantly upregulated genes in the non-responders...
- Sherbet D, Guryev O, Papari Zareei M, Mizrachi D, Rambally S, Akbar S, et al. Biochemical factors governing the steady-state estrone/estradiol ratios catalyzed by human 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases types 1 and 2 in HEK-293 cells. Endocrinology. 2009;150:4154-62 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that additional structural features, beyond the lack of a specific arginine residue, disfavor NADPH binding and thus support E2 oxidation by 17betaHSD2 in intact cells. ..
- Matsuzaki S, Canis M, Pouly J, Dechelotte P, Mage G. Analysis of aromatase and 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 messenger ribonucleic acid expression in deep endometriosis and eutopic endometrium using laser capture microdissection. Fertil Steril. 2006;85:308-13 pubmed..Local estrogen concentration may be much higher in epithelial cells than in stromal cells in deep endometriotic tissue. ..
- Hilborn E, Stal O, Alexeyenko A, Jansson A. The regulation of hydroxysteroid 17?-dehydrogenase type 1 and 2 gene expression in breast cancer cell lines by estradiol, dihydrotestosterone, microRNAs, and genes related to breast cancer. Oncotarget. 2017;8:62183-62194 pubmed publisherTo investigate the influence of estrogen, androgen, microRNAs, and genes implicated in breast cancer on the expression of HSD17B1 and HSD17B2.
- Oliveira I, Lhullier C, Brum I, Spritzer P. Gene expression of type 2 17 beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase in scalp hairs of hirsute women. Steroids. 2003;68:641-9 pubmed..The enzyme's higher gene expression in treated hirsute patients could be an indirect evidence of restored enzyme activity and intracellular androgen metabolism. ..
- Wu L, Einstein M, Geissler W, Chan H, Elliston K, Andersson S. Expression cloning and characterization of human 17 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2, a microsomal enzyme possessing 20 alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activity. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:12964-9 pubmed..The amount of 17 beta-HSD type 2 mRNA in placenta was found to be high. The data suggest that the 17 beta-HSD type 2 cDNA encodes the microsomal 17 beta-HSD of human placenta, described by several laboratories. ..
- Carsol J, Martin P, de Launoit Y. Characterization of 17 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activity and mRNA abundance in human meningioma tumors. Neuroendocrinology. 1994;60:445-51 pubmed..On four different meningioma tumors, we were able to correlate 17 beta-HSD II mRNA expression to high levels of 17 beta-HSD activity. Taken together, the present data suggest that the meningioma 17 beta-HSD could be the 17 beta-HSD II. ..
- Labrie Y, Durocher F, Lachance Y, Turgeon C, Simard J, Labrie C, et al. The human type II 17 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase gene encodes two alternatively spliced mRNA species. DNA Cell Biol. 1995;14:849-61 pubmed..Cloning of the 17 beta-HSD type II gene provides us with the tools to study its transcriptional expression. ..
- Levesque E, Laverdière I, Audet Walsh E, Caron P, Rouleau M, Fradet Y, et al. Steroidogenic germline polymorphism predictors of prostate cancer progression in the estradiol pathway. Clin Cancer Res. 2014;20:2971-83 pubmed publisher..Remarkably, by combining the SNP information with previously identified HSD17B2 markers, the patients could be stratified into four distinct prognostic subgroups...
- Bhavani V, Srinivasulu M, Ahuja Y, Hasan Q. Role of BRCA1, HSD17B1 and HSD17B2 methylation in breast cancer tissue. Cancer Biomark. 2009;5:207-13 pubmed publisher..breast cancer susceptibility gene 1 (BRCA1), 17 beta hydroxy steroid dehydrogenase type 1 (HSD17B1) and type 2 (HSD17B2)...
- Sun T, Oh W, Jacobus S, Regan M, Pomerantz M, Freedman M, et al. The impact of common genetic variations in genes of the sex hormone metabolic pathways on steroid hormone levels and prostate cancer aggressiveness. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2011;4:2044-50 pubmed publisher..We observed significant associations between plasma testosterone level and SNPs in HSD17B2 (rs1424151), HSD17B3 (rs9409407), and HSD17B1 (rs12602084), with P values of 0.002, 0.006, and 0...
- Sangrajrang S, Sato Y, Sakamoto H, Ohnami S, Laird N, Khuhaprema T, et al. Genetic polymorphisms of estrogen metabolizing enzyme and breast cancer risk in Thai women. Int J Cancer. 2009;125:837-43 pubmed publisher..SNPs) in the CYP1A1, CYP1A2, CYP1B1, CYP17, CYP19, CYP2C9, CYP2C19, AhR, ESR1, PGR, ERRG, COMT, HSD17B1, HSD17B2, EPHX1 and NQO1 genes were genotyped...
- Leon L, Bacallao K, Gabler F, Romero C, Valladares L, Vega M. Activities of steroid metabolic enzymes in secretory endometria from untreated women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Steroids. 2008;73:88-95 pubmed
- Dunning A, Dowsett M, Healey C, Tee L, Luben R, Folkerd E, et al. Polymorphisms associated with circulating sex hormone levels in postmenopausal women. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2004;96:936-45 pubmed..Fifteen SNPs in the CYP17, CYP19, EDH17B2, SHBG, COMT, and CYP1B1 genes were genotyped in these postmenopausal women and in a breast cancer case-control ..
- Dong Y, Qiu Q, Debear J, Lathrop W, Bertolini D, Tamburini P. 17Beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases in human bone cells. J Bone Miner Res. 1998;13:1539-46 pubmed
- Frycz B, Murawa D, Borejsza Wysocki M, Marciniak R, Murawa P, Drews M, et al. Expression of 17Î²-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 is associated with some clinicopathological features in gastric cancer. Biomed Pharmacother. 2015;70:24-7 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we evaluate the 17Î²-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 (HSD17B2) transcript and protein levels in gastric tumoral and nontumoral tissue...
- Fouad Mansour M, Pelletier M, Boulet M, Mayrand D, Brochu G, Lebel S, et al. Oxidative activity of 17Î²-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase on testosterone in male abdominal adipose tissues and cellular localization of 17Î²-HSD type 2. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2015;414:168-76 pubmed publisher..We conclude that conversion of testosterone to 4-dione detected in abdominal adipose tissue is caused by 17Î²-HSD type 2 which is localized in the vasculature of the adipose compartment. ..
- Taheri S, Zararsiz G, Karaburgu S, Borlu M, Ozgun M, Karaca Z, et al. Is idiopathic hirsutism (IH) really idiopathic? mRNA expressions of skin steroidogenic enzymes in women with IH. Eur J Endocrinol. 2015;173:447-54 pubmed publisher..CYP11A1, STS, CYP19A1, SRD5A1, SRD5A2, HSD3B1, AR, COMT, ESR1, ESR2, HSD3B2, CYP17A1, SULT2A1, SULT1E1, HSD17B2, IL6, TGFB1, TNFA) from skin biopsy and blood samples of patients with IH and the data compared with healthy ..
- Andersson S, Geissler W, Patel S, Wu L. The molecular biology of androgenic 17 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 1995;53:37-9 pubmed..The 17 beta-HSD3 gene is mutated in male pseudohermaphrodites with the genetic disease 17 beta-HSD deficiency. ..
- Straume A, Knappskog S, Lønning P. Effects of SNP variants in the 17?-HSD2 and 17?-HSD7 genes and 17?-HSD7 copy number on gene transcript and estradiol levels in breast cancer tissue. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2014;143:192-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, genetic variants of 17?-HSD2 and 17?-HSD7 may affect intra-tumour gene expression as well as breast cancer E2 levels in postmenopausal women. ..
- Pfeiffer M, Smit F, Sedelaar J, Schalken J. Steroidogenic enzymes and stem cell markers are upregulated during androgen deprivation in prostate cancer. Mol Med. 2011;17:657-64 pubmed publisher..The androgen receptor (AR) and enzymes (AKR1C3, HSD17B2, HSD17B3, UGT2B15 and UGT2B17 ) that are involved in the metabolism of adrenal steroids were upregulated in ..
- Lin J, Zee R, Liu K, Zhang S, Lee I, Manson J, et al. Genetic variation in sex-steroid receptors and synthesizing enzymes and colorectal cancer risk in women. Cancer Causes Control. 2010;21:897-908 pubmed publisher..receptor (PGR), aromatase cytochrome 450 enzyme (CYP19A1), and 17 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 gene (HSD17B2)...
- Han B, Song D, Poisson Paré D, Liu G, Luu The V, Ouellet J, et al. Expression of 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 and type 5 in breast cancer and adjacent non-malignant tissue: a correlation to clinicopathological parameters. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2008;112:194-200 pubmed publisher..The decrease in 17beta-HSD type 2 and 17beta-HSD type 5 expressions in breast cancer may play a predominant role in the development and/or progression of the cancer by modifying the intratumoral levels of estrogens and androgens. ..
- Blouin K, Nadeau M, Mailloux J, Daris M, Lebel S, Luu The V, et al. Pathways of adipose tissue androgen metabolism in women: depot differences and modulation by adipogenesis. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2009;296:E244-55 pubmed publisher..Glucocorticoid-induced androgen inactivation may locally modulate the exposure of adipose cells to active androgens. ..
- Rittie L, Kang S, Voorhees J, Fisher G. Induction of collagen by estradiol: difference between sun-protected and photodamaged human skin in vivo. Arch Dermatol. 2008;144:1129-40 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, alterations induced by long-term sun exposure hinder the ability of topical 2-week estradiol to stimulate collagen production in aged skin. clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00113100. ..
- Carneiro M, Morsch D, Camargos A, Spritzer P, Reis F. Expression of 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 in pelvic endometriosis. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2007;23:188-92 pubmed
- Shen Z, Peng Z, Sun Y, Vaananen H, Poutanen M. Overexpression of human hydroxysteroid (17beta) dehydrogenase 2 induces disturbance in skeletal development in young male mice. J Bone Miner Res. 2008;23:1217-26 pubmed publisherTo understand the function of human hydroxysteroid (17beta) dehydrogenase 2 (HSD17B2) in the peripheral tissues in vivo, we studied the bone development in transgenic male mice ubiquitously expressing human HSD17B2...
- Durocher F, Morissette J, Labrie Y, Labrie F, Simard J. Mapping of the HSD17B2 gene encoding type II 17 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase close to D16S422 on chromosome 16q24.1-q24.2. Genomics. 1995;25:724-6 pubmed..To locate the HSD17B2 gene, the novel dinucleotide CA repeat sequence found 571 bp downstream from the end of exon 1 was genotyped into ..
- Kitawaki J, Koshiba H, Ishihara H, Kusuki I, Tsukamoto K, Honjo H. Progesterone induction of 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 during the secretory phase occurs in the endometrium of estrogen-dependent benign diseases but not in normal endometrium. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000;85:3292-6 pubmed
- Lu M, Huang Y, Lin S. Purification, reconstitution, and steady-state kinetics of the trans-membrane 17 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase 2. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:22123-30 pubmed..The kinetic constants using estradiol, testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, and 20 alpha-dihydroprogesterone as substrates were also determined. ..
- Provost P, Blomquist C, Drolet R, Flamand N, Tremblay Y. Androgen inactivation in human lung fibroblasts: variations in levels of 17 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 and 5 alpha-reductase activity compatible with androgen inactivation. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002;87:3883-92 pubmed..This is in line with reported cases of familial incidence of respiratory distress. ..
- Jansson A, Carlsson J, Olsson A, Storm P, Margolin S, Gunnarsson C, et al. A new polymorphism in the coding region of exon four in HSD17B2 in relation to risk of sporadic and hereditary breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2007;106:57-64 pubmed..The 17HSD type 2 gene (HSD17B2) was screened for mutations with Single Stranded Conformation Polymorphism (SSCP)-DNA sequencing in 59 sporadic ..
- Hosono S, Ito H, Oze I, Higaki Y, Morita E, Takashima N, et al. Polymorphisms in CYP19A1, HSD17B1 and HSD17B2 genes and serum sex hormone level among postmenopausal Japanese women. Maturitas. 2015;82:394-401 pubmed publisher..We examined possible associations between serum sex hormone level and polymorphisms in CYP19A1, HSD17B1, and HSD17B2. We also assessed possible interaction between these polymorphisms and current overweight...
- Plourde M, Manhes C, Leblanc G, Durocher F, Dumont M, Sinilnikova O, et al. Mutation analysis and characterization of HSD17B2 sequence variants in breast cancer cases from French Canadian families with high risk of breast and ovarian cancer. J Mol Endocrinol. 2008;40:161-72 pubmed publisherEstrogen exposure is a risk factor for breast cancer. Given that HSD17B2 gene encodes an enzyme that catalyses estradiol inactivation, it appears as a good candidate breast cancer susceptibility gene...
- Jansson A, Delander L, Gunnarsson C, Fornander T, Skoog L, Nordenskjold B, et al. Ratio of 17HSD1 to 17HSD2 protein expression predicts the outcome of tamoxifen treatment in postmenopausal breast cancer patients. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:3610-6 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that the 17HSD1/17HSD2 ratio might be useful as a predictive factor for tamoxifen treatment in ER-positive breast cancer patients. ..
- Shen Z, Saloniemi T, Rönnblad A, Järvensivu P, Pakarinen P, Poutanen M. Sex steroid-dependent and -independent action of hydroxysteroid (17beta) Dehydrogenase 2: evidence from transgenic female mice. Endocrinology. 2009;150:4941-9 pubmed publisher..known estrogen target genes in the HSD17B2TG mammary transplants in WT females was observed, suggesting that HSD17B2 modulates estrogen action in vivo...
- Inoue T, Miki Y, Kakuo S, Hachiya A, Kitahara T, Aiba S, et al. Expression of steroidogenic enzymes in human sebaceous glands. J Endocrinol. 2014;222:301-12 pubmed publisher..lipid droplets and that the exclusive expression of 17?-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 (17?-HSD2 (HSD17B2)) in sebaceous glands was negatively correlated with that of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma (..
- Cong R, Huang Z, Cong L, Ye Y, Wang Z, Zha L, et al. Polymorphisms in genes HSD17B1 and HSD17B2 and uterine leiomyoma risk in Chinese women. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2012;286:701-5 pubmed publisherTo evaluate the association of HSD17B1 and HSD17B2 gene polymorphisms with uterine leiomyoma in Chinese women...
- Su E, Cheng Y, Chatterton R, Lin Z, Yin P, Reierstad S, et al. Regulation of 17-beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 in human placental endothelial cells. Biol Reprod. 2007;77:517-25 pubmed17-beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 (HSD17B2) oxidizes estradiol to estrone, testosterone to androstenedione, and 20 alpha-dihydroprogesterone to progesterone...
- Su M, Chen C, Kuo P, Hsu C, Lee I, Pan H, et al. Polymorphisms of estrogen-related genes jointly confer susceptibility to human spermatogenic defect. Fertil Steril. 2010;93:141-9 pubmed publisher..nine genes (estrogen receptors [ER-alpha, ER-beta], estrogen synthesizing/metabolizing genes [CYP17, CYP19A1, HSD17B2, CYP1A1, CYP1B1, COMT], and transport genes [SHBG]) were genotyped...
- Jansson A, Gunnarsson C, Stal O. Proliferative responses to altered 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (17HSD) type 2 expression in human breast cancer cells are dependent on endogenous expression of 17HSD type 1 and the oestradiol receptors. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2006;13:875-84 pubmed..Expression of 17HSD type 1 seems to be dominant to 17HSD type 2. Therefore, it may be important to investigate a ratio between 17HSD type 1 and 17HSD type 2. ..
- Matsuyama T, Yabe K, Kuwata C, Ito K, Ando Y, Iida H, et al. Transcriptional profile of ethylene glycol monomethyl ether-induced testicular toxicity in rats. Drug Chem Toxicol. 2018;41:105-112 pubmed publisher..In contrast, KET showed trends toward increases in Hsd3b2 and Hsd17b2 mRNAs, presumably resulting from inhibition of androgen synthesis...
- Cheng Y, Imir A, Suzuki T, Fenkci V, Yilmaz B, Sasano H, et al. SP1 and SP3 mediate progesterone-dependent induction of the 17beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 gene in human endometrium. Biol Reprod. 2006;75:605-14 pubmed..Progesterone indirectly stimulates the expression of 17beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 (HSD17B2), which catalyzes the conversion of biologically potent estradiol to weakly estrogenic estrone in the endometrial ..
- Oduwole O, Mäkinen J, Isomaa V, Karttunen T, Vihko P. Sex steroid metabolism in human gastric mucosa: 17 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 in normal, inflamed and neoplastic gastric tissues. Anticancer Res. 2003;23:3889-97 pubmed..The down-regulation associated with aging may have relevance in the pathogenesis of gastric cancer. ..
- Simard M, Drolet R, Blomquist C, Tremblay Y. Human type 2 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase in umbilical vein and artery endothelial cells: differential inactivation of sex steroids according to the vessel type. Endocrine. 2011;40:203-11 pubmed publisher..Our data support a differential modulation of biologically active sex steroid levels according to the vessel type in the foeto-placental unit, with apparent higher inactivation in the arterial system. ..
- Corbould A, Judd S, Rodgers R. Expression of types 1, 2, and 3 17 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase in subcutaneous abdominal and intra-abdominal adipose tissue of women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998;83:187-94 pubmed..The association of visceral obesity with the development of insulin resistance and dyslipidaemia raises the question of the role of steroid production in adipose tissue in the pathogenesis of these disorders. ..
- Zhang Y, Word R, Fesmire S, Carr B, Rainey W. Human ovarian expression of 17 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase types 1, 2, and 3. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1996;81:3594-8 pubmed..Secondly, androgenic 17 beta HSD3 is not expressed in the human ovary. Thus testosterone production within the human ovary, occurring under physiological conditions, arises from either the 17 beta HSD1 or an uncharacterized isozyme. ..
- Zhang L, Yuan F, Guan X, Li J, Liu X, Sun J, et al. Association of genetic polymorphisms in HSD17B1, HSD17B2 and SHBG genes with hepatocellular carcinoma risk. Pathol Oncol Res. 2014;20:661-6 pubmed publisher..the relationship of single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in 17 ?-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (HSD17B1 and HSD17B2) and sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) genes with the risk of HCC within Chinese Han population...