Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: HO-1
Description: heme oxygenase 1
Alias: HMOX1D, HO-1, HSP32, bK286B10, heme oxygenase 1, heat shock protein, 32-kD, heme oxygenase (decycling) 1
Publications106 found, 100 shown here
- Taha H, Skrzypek K, Guevara I, Nigisch A, Mustafa S, Grochot Przeczek A, et al. Role of heme oxygenase-1 in human endothelial cells: lesson from the promoter allelic variants. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010;30:1634-41 pubmed publisher..The (GT)n promoter polymorphism significantly modulates a cytoprotective, proangiogenic, and antiinflammatory function of HO-1 in human endothelium. ..
- Rushworth S, Zaitseva L, Langa S, Bowles K, MacEwan D. FLIP regulation of HO-1 and TNF signalling in human acute myeloid leukemia provides a unique secondary anti-apoptotic mechanism. Oncotarget. 2010;1:359-66 pubmed..We previously showed that heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1/Hsp32) underlies resistance of AML to TNF-induced apoptosis...
- Marohnic C, Huber Iii W, Patrick Connick J, Reed J, McCammon K, Panda S, et al. Mutations of human cytochrome P450 reductase differentially modulate heme oxygenase-1 activity and oligomerization. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2011;513:42-50 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, human POR mutations, shown to impact P450 activities, also result in varying degrees of diminished HO-1 activity, which may further complicate CYPOR deficiency. ..
- Tanaka G, Aminuddin F, Akhabir L, He J, Shumansky K, Connett J, et al. Effect of heme oxygenase-1 polymorphisms on lung function and gene expression. BMC Med Genet. 2011;12:117 pubmed publisher..We found no association of the five HMOX1 tag SNPs with lung function decline and no evidence that the three promoter polymorphisms affected the regulation of the HMOX1 gene. ..
- Bao W, Rong S, Zhang M, Yu X, Zhao Y, Xiao X, et al. Plasma heme oxygenase-1 concentration in relation to impaired glucose regulation in a non-diabetic Chinese population. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32223 pubmed publisher..76); P for difference?=?0.026). Elevated plasma HO-1 concentration is significantly associated with increased ORs for IGR. However, its clinical utility should be validated in further studies, especially in prospective cohort studies. ..
- Qiu L, Fan H, Jin W, Zhao B, Wang Y, Ju Y, et al. miR-122-induced down-regulation of HO-1 negatively affects miR-122-mediated suppression of HBV. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;398:771-7 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates the anti-HBV activity of miR-122, suggesting that therapies that increase miR-122 and HO-1 may be an effective strategy to limit HBV replication. ..
- Bao W, Song F, Li X, Rong S, Yang W, Wang D, et al. Association between heme oxygenase-1 gene promoter polymorphisms and type 2 diabetes mellitus: a HuGE review and meta-analysis. Am J Epidemiol. 2010;172:631-6 pubmed publisher..25, 95% confidence interval: 1.04, 1.50; P = 0.02). Persons carrying longer (GT)(n) repeats in the HMOX1 gene promoter may have a higher risk of type 2 diabetes. ..
- Bao W, Song F, Li X, Rong S, Yang W, Zhang M, et al. Plasma heme oxygenase-1 concentration is elevated in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12371 pubmed publisher..More consequent studies were warranted to confirm the clinical utility of plasma HO-1, especially in diagnosis and prognosis of T2DM and its complications. ..
- Andersen V, Christensen J, Overvad K, Tjønneland A, Vogel U. Heme oxygenase-1 polymorphism is not associated with risk of colorectal cancer: a Danish prospective study. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011;23:282-5 pubmed publisher..29). No interaction with meat intake was found (P value for interaction = 0.55). The studied HO-1 polymorphism was not associated with risk of CRC suggesting that heme from meat is not important in CRC development. ..
- Miyake M, Fujimoto K, Anai S, Ohnishi S, Kuwada M, Nakai Y, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 promotes angiogenesis in urothelial carcinoma of the urinary bladder. Oncol Rep. 2011;25:653-60 pubmed publisher..19). In conclusion, since overexpression of HO-1 promotes angiogenesis in urothelial carcinoma cells, HO-1 inhibitors could be used as novel therapeutics for urothelial carcinoma of the urinary bladder. ..
- Pulkkinen K, Yla Herttuala S, Levonen A. Heme oxygenase 1 is induced by miR-155 via reduced BACH1 translation in endothelial cells. Free Radic Biol Med. 2011;51:2124-31 pubmed publisherb>Heme oxygenase 1 (HO-1) is a stress-inducible enzyme that degrades redox-active heme-producing biliverdin, carbon monoxide, and Fe(2+)...
- Liu J, Hou S, Tsai C, Huang C, Yang W, Tang C. Thrombin induces heme oxygenase-1 expression in human synovial fibroblasts through protease-activated receptor signaling pathways. Arthritis Res Ther. 2012;14:R91 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the interaction between thrombin and PAR1/PAR3 increases HO-1 expression in human synovial fibroblasts through the PKC?, c-Src, and Nrf2 signaling pathways. ..
- Gandini N, Fermento M, Salomón D, Blasco J, Patel V, Gutkind J, et al. Nuclear localization of heme oxygenase-1 is associated with tumor progression of head and neck squamous cell carcinomas. Exp Mol Pathol. 2012;93:237-45 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results demonstrate that HO-1 is up-regulated in HNSCC and that nuclear localization of HO-1 is associated with malignant progression in this tumor type. ..
- Na H, Surh Y. Oncogenic potential of Nrf2 and its principal target protein heme oxygenase-1. Free Radic Biol Med. 2014;67:353-65 pubmed publisher..This review highlights the roles of Nrf2 and HO-1 in proliferation of cancer cells, their tolerance/resistance to anticancer treatments, and metastasis or angiogenesis in tumor progression. ..
- Miyazaki T, Kirino Y, Takeno M, Samukawa S, Hama M, Tanaka M, et al. Expression of heme oxygenase-1 in human leukemic cells and its regulation by transcriptional repressor Bach1. Cancer Sci. 2010;101:1409-16 pubmed publisher..Thus, functional upregulation of Bach1 is a potential strategy for antileukemic therapy. ..
- Sambo M, Trovoada M, Benchimol C, Quinhentos V, Goncalves L, Velosa R, et al. Transforming growth factor beta 2 and heme oxygenase 1 genes are risk factors for the cerebral malaria syndrome in Angolan children. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11141 pubmed publisher..falciparum malaria. This work may provide motivation for future studies aiming to replicate our findings in larger populations and to confirm a role for these genes in determining the clinical course of malaria. ..
- Banerjee P, Basu A, Datta D, Gasser M, Waaga Gasser A, Pal S. The heme oxygenase-1 protein is overexpressed in human renal cancer cells following activation of the Ras-Raf-ERK pathway and mediates anti-apoptotic signal. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:33580-90 pubmed publisher..Thus, targeting the Ras-Raf-ERK pathway for HO-1 overexpression may serve as novel therapeutics for the treatment of renal cancer. ..
- Ferrando M, Gueron G, Elguero B, Giudice J, Salles A, Leskow F, et al. Heme oxygenase 1 (HO-1) challenges the angiogenic switch in prostate cancer. Angiogenesis. 2011;14:467-79 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data supports a key role of HO-1 as a modulator of the angiogenic switch in prostate carcinogenesis ascertaining it as a logical target for intervention therapy. ..
- Degese M, Mendizabal J, Gandini N, Gutkind J, Molinolo A, Hewitt S, et al. Expression of heme oxygenase-1 in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) and its correlation with clinical data. Lung Cancer. 2012;77:168-75 pubmed publisher..Additionally, different subcellular localization is observed between tumor and adjacent non-malignant tissues. ..
- Tsai J, Wang H, Liu P, Chen Y, Yang M, Chou S, et al. High expression of heme oxygenase-1 is associated with tumor invasiveness and poor clinical outcome in non-small cell lung cancer patients. Cell Oncol (Dordr). 2012;35:461-71 pubmed publisher..HO-1 is a poor prognostic NSCLC predictor and its over-expression may increase the metastatic potential of NSCLC. Based on our findings and those of others, HO-1 may be considered as a novel NSCLC therapeutic target. ..
- Hu Y, Lee K, Wang H, Ueng K, Yeh H, Chao T, et al. The association between heme oxygenase-1 gene promoter polymorphism and the outcomes of catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56440 pubmed publisher..In conclusions, HO-1 gene promoter polymorphisms were associated with AF recurrence after catheter ablation. ..
- Kim K, Pae H, Zheng M, Park R, Kim Y, Chung H. Carbon monoxide induces heme oxygenase-1 via activation of protein kinase R-like endoplasmic reticulum kinase and inhibits endothelial cell apoptosis triggered by endoplasmic reticulum stress. Circ Res. 2007;101:919-27 pubmed..Thus, the HO-1/CO system might be potential therapeutics in vascular diseases associated with ER stress. ..
- Rushworth S, MacEwan D, O Connell M. Lipopolysaccharide-induced expression of NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase 1 and heme oxygenase-1 protects against excessive inflammatory responses in human monocytes. J Immunol. 2008;181:6730-7 pubmed
- Kitamuro T, Takahashi K, Ogawa K, Udono Fujimori R, Takeda K, Furuyama K, et al. Bach1 functions as a hypoxia-inducible repressor for the heme oxygenase-1 gene in human cells. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:9125-33 pubmedb>Heme oxygenase 1 (HO-1) catalyzes heme breakdown, eventually releasing iron, carbon monoxide, and bilirubin IXalpha...
- Abraham N, Kushida T, McClung J, Weiss M, Quan S, Lafaro R, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 attenuates glucose-mediated cell growth arrest and apoptosis in human microvessel endothelial cells. Circ Res. 2003;93:507-14 pubmed..These findings identify a novel effect of HO-1 on endothelial cell growth and indicate that heme metabolism and HO-1 expression regulate signaling systems in cells exposed to high glucose, which controls cell-cycle progression. ..
- Chin H, Cho H, Lee T, Na K, Yoon H, Chae D, et al. The heme oxygenase-1 genotype is a risk factor to renal impairment of IgA nephropathy at diagnosis, which is a strong predictor of mortality. J Korean Med Sci. 2009;24 Suppl:S30-7 pubmed publisher..060-0.774, p=0.019). The HO-1 gene promoter length polymorphism was related to the renal impairment of IgA nephropathy at diagnosis, which is an important risk factor for mortality in IgA nephropathy patients. ..
- Keyse S, Tyrrell R. Heme oxygenase is the major 32-kDa stress protein induced in human skin fibroblasts by UVA radiation, hydrogen peroxide, and sodium arsenite. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1989;86:99-103 pubmed
- Morse D, Choi A. Heme oxygenase-1: the "emerging molecule" has arrived. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2002;27:8-16 pubmed..This review highlights current information on the function of HO-1 and its relevance to specific pulmonary and cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Hill Kapturczak N, Sikorski E, Voakes C, Garcia J, Nick H, Agarwal A. An internal enhancer regulates heme- and cadmium-mediated induction of human heme oxygenase-1. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2003;285:F515-23 pubmed..Elucidation of the molecular regulation of the human HO-1 gene will allow for the development of therapeutic strategies to manipulate HO-1 gene expression in pathological states. ..
- Ghaziani T, Shan Y, Lambrecht R, Donohue S, Pietschmann T, Bartenschlager R, et al. HCV proteins increase expression of heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) and decrease expression of Bach1 in human hepatoma cells. J Hepatol. 2006;45:5-12 pubmed..These and other results suggest a key role of down-regulation of Bach1 and up-regulation of HO-1 in diminishing cytotoxic effects of HCV proteins in human hepatocytes. ..
- Kutty R, Kutty G, Rodriguez I, Chader G, Wiggert B. Chromosomal localization of the human heme oxygenase genes: heme oxygenase-1 (HMOX1) maps to chromosome 22q12 and heme oxygenase-2 (HMOX2) maps to chromosome 16p13.3. Genomics. 1994;20:513-6 pubmed..Heme oxygenase-1 (HMOX1), the inducible form, was localized to human chromosome 22q12, while heme oxygenase-2 (HMOX2), the constitutive form, was localized to chromosome 16p13.3. ..
- Lang D, Reuter S, Buzescu T, August C, Heidenreich S. Heme-induced heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) in human monocytes inhibits apoptosis despite caspase-3 up-regulation. Int Immunol. 2005;17:155-65 pubmed..The fact that HO-1 may adversely affect monocyte survival and differentiation could be of particular significance in future therapies for occlusive vascular diseases or transplant rejection. ..
- Exner M, Minar E, Wagner O, Schillinger M. The role of heme oxygenase-1 promoter polymorphisms in human disease. Free Radic Biol Med. 2004;37:1097-104 pubmed..In the present article we systematically review the hitherto published evidence that promoter polymorphisms in the HO-1 gene exert functional importance by influencing the level of HO-1 expression in different organ systems. ..
- Zhang J, Ohta T, Maruyama A, Hosoya T, Nishikawa K, Maher J, et al. BRG1 interacts with Nrf2 to selectively mediate HO-1 induction in response to oxidative stress. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:7942-52 pubmed..Small interfering RNA knockdown of BRG1 in SW480 cells selectively decreased inducible expression of the heme oxygenase 1 (HO-1) gene after diethylmaleate treatment but did not affect other Nrf2 target genes, such as the gene ..
- Hersh C, DeMeo D, Lange C, Litonjua A, Reilly J, Kwiatkowski D, et al. Attempted replication of reported chronic obstructive pulmonary disease candidate gene associations. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2005;33:71-8 pubmed..03). Although some evidence for replication was found for SFTPB and HMOX1, none of the previously published COPD genetic associations was convincingly replicated across both study designs. ..
- Malaguarnera L, Pilastro M, Quan S, Ghattas M, Yang L, Mezentsev A, et al. Significance of heme oxygenase in prolactin-mediated cell proliferation and angiogenesis in human endothelial cells. Int J Mol Med. 2002;10:433-40 pubmed..Our results demonstrated for the first time, that prolactin-mediated angiogenesis and cell proliferation was dependent on HO-1 gene expression. ..
- Chen Y, Chau L, Chen J, Lin S. Serum bilirubin and ferritin levels link heme oxygenase-1 gene promoter polymorphism and susceptibility to coronary artery disease in diabetic patients. Diabetes Care. 2008;31:1615-20 pubmed publisher..Length polymorphism in the HO-1 gene promoter is correlated with susceptibility to CAD in diabetic patients, and this effect might be conveyed through its influence on serum bilirubin and ferritin. ..
- Dulak J, Deshane J, Jozkowicz A, Agarwal A. Heme oxygenase-1 and carbon monoxide in vascular pathobiology: focus on angiogenesis. Circulation. 2008;117:231-41 pubmed publisher..This review will provide an overview of the role of heme oxygenase-1 and carbon monoxide in angiogenesis. ..
- Hou W, Rossi L, Shan Y, Zheng J, Lambrecht R, Bonkovsky H. Iron increases HMOX1 and decreases hepatitis C viral expression in HCV-expressing cells. World J Gastroenterol. 2009;15:4499-510 pubmed..Excess iron up-regulates HMOX1 and down-regulates HCV gene expression in hepatoma cells. This probably mitigates liver injury caused by combined iron overload and HCV infection. ..
- Udono Fujimori R, Takahashi K, Takeda K, Furuyama K, Kaneko K, Takahashi S, et al. Expression of heme oxygenase-1 is repressed by interferon-gamma and induced by hypoxia in human retinal pigment epithelial cells. Eur J Biochem. 2004;271:3076-84 pubmed..These results indicate that RPE cells maintain retinal homeostasis by repressing or inducing the expression of HO-1, depending on the microenvironment. ..
- Kronke G, Kadl A, Ikonomu E, Bluml S, Furnkranz A, Sarembock I, et al. Expression of heme oxygenase-1 in human vascular cells is regulated by peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2007;27:1276-82 pubmed..Identification of HO-1 as a target gene for PPARs provides new strategies for therapy of cardiovascular diseases and a rationale for the use of PPAR ligands in the treatment of other chronic inflammatory diseases. ..
- Malaguarnera L, Quan S, Pilastro M, Abraham N, Kappas A. Diminished heme oxygenase potentiates cell death: pyrrolidinedithiocarbamate mediates oxidative stress. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2003;228:459-65 pubmed..Collectively, these results demonstrate that upregulation of HO-1 was able to attenuate the PDTC-mediated cell proliferation, but was unable to reverse the high concentration of PDTC-induced decrease in angiogenesis. ..
- Pae H, Oh G, Choi B, Kim Y, Chung H. A molecular cascade showing nitric oxide-heme oxygenase-1-vascular endothelial growth factor-interleukin-8 sequence in human endothelial cells. Endocrinology. 2005;146:2229-38 pubmed..Taken together, these results provide a molecular cascade showing NO-HO-1-VEGF-IL-8 sequence in human endothelial cells. ..
- Busserolles J, Megías J, Terencio M, Alcaraz M. Heme oxygenase-1 inhibits apoptosis in Caco-2 cells via activation of Akt pathway. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2006;38:1510-7 pubmed..We have extended these observations by demonstrating that these effects are independent of p38 but are mediated via Akt pathway. ..
- Huber W, Backes W. Expression and characterization of full-length human heme oxygenase-1: the presence of intact membrane-binding region leads to increased binding affinity for NADPH cytochrome P450 reductase. Biochemistry. 2007;46:12212-9 pubmed
- Cheng C, Noordeloos A, Jeney V, Soares M, Moll F, Pasterkamp G, et al. Heme oxygenase 1 determines atherosclerotic lesion progression into a vulnerable plaque. Circulation. 2009;119:3017-27 pubmed publisherThe molecular regulation for the transition from stable to vulnerable plaque remains to be elucidated. Heme oxygenase 1 (HO-1) and its metabolites have been implicated in the cytoprotective defense against oxidative injury in ..
- Hwang H, Lee J, Chou K, Suen C, Hwang M, Chen C, et al. Oligomerization is crucial for the stability and function of heme oxygenase-1 in the endoplasmic reticulum. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:22672-9 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data suggest that oligomerization, driven by TMS-TMS interactions, is crucial for the stabilization and function of HO-1 in the ER. ..
- Kushida T, Quan S, Yang L, Ikehara S, Kappas A, Abraham N. A significant role for the heme oxygenase-1 gene in endothelial cell cycle progression. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;291:68-75 pubmed
- Schillinger M, Exner M, Mlekusch W, Domanovits H, Huber K, Mannhalter C, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 gene promoter polymorphism is associated with abdominal aortic aneurysm. Thromb Res. 2002;106:131-6 pubmed..This suggests that short alleles, and thus, facilitated upregulation of HO-1, may be a protective anti-inflammatory factor against the development of AAA. ..
- Brunt K, Fenrich K, Kiani G, Tse M, Pang S, Ward C, et al. Protection of human vascular smooth muscle cells from H2O2-induced apoptosis through functional codependence between HO-1 and AKT. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2006;26:2027-34 pubmed..HO-1 and Akt exert codependent cytoprotective effects against OS-induced apoptosis in HASMCs. These findings may have implications for the design of novel therapeutic strategies for plaque stabilization. ..
- Wang J, Lu S, Moenne Loccoz P, Ortiz de Montellano P. Interaction of nitric oxide with human heme oxygenase-1. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:2341-7 pubmed..Inhibition of hHO-1 by NO may contribute to the pleiotropic responses to NO and CO. ..
- Courtney A, McNamee P, Heggarty S, Middleton D, Maxwell A. Association of functional haem oxygenase-1 gene promoter polymorphism with polycystic kidney disease and IgA nephropathy. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2008;23:608-11 pubmed..We report the first assessment of the role of this HO-1 gene promoter polymorphism in chronic kidney disease due to autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD) and IgA nephropathy (IgAN)...
- Bilban M, Haslinger P, Prast J, Klinglmüller F, Woelfel T, Haider S, et al. Identification of novel trophoblast invasion-related genes: heme oxygenase-1 controls motility via peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma. Endocrinology. 2009;150:1000-13 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, we identify HO-1 as a negative regulator of trophoblast motility acting via up-regulation of PPARgamma. ..
- Song F, Li X, Zhang M, Yao P, Yang N, Sun X, et al. Association between heme oxygenase-1 gene promoter polymorphisms and type 2 diabetes in a Chinese population. Am J Epidemiol. 2009;170:747-56 pubmed publisher..These results support an association between the HO-1 (GT)(n) microsatellite polymorphism, HO-1 expression levels, and the odds of T2DM. ..
- Bozkaya O, Kumral A, Yesilirmak D, Ulgenalp A, Duman N, Ercal D, et al. Prolonged unconjugated hyperbilirubinaemia associated with the haem oxygenase-1 gene promoter polymorphism. Acta Paediatr. 2010;99:679-683 pubmed publisher..In this patient population, short repeat alleles of the HO-1 gene promoter polymorphism were associated with prolonged jaundice. ..
- Schillinger M, Exner M, Mlekusch W, Ahmadi R, Rumpold H, Mannhalter C, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 genotype is a vascular anti-inflammatory factor following balloon angioplasty. J Endovasc Ther. 2002;9:385-94 pubmed..2, p=0.6). The HO-1 promoter genotype is independently associated with the inflammatory response seen after balloon angioplasty. Short alleles (<25 GT repeats) seem to be an intrinsic vascular anti-inflammatory factor. ..
- Avogaro A, Pagnin E, Calo L. Monocyte NADPH oxidase subunit p22(phox) and inducible hemeoxygenase-1 gene expressions are increased in type II diabetic patients: relationship with oxidative stress. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003;88:1753-9 pubmed..These findings suggest that these cells, which play a crucial role in the earliest events of atherosclerotic lesion, are subjected to an increased oxidative stress. ..
- Sacerdoti D, Olszanecki R, Li Volti G, Colombrita C, Scapagnini G, Abraham N. Heme oxygenase overexpression attenuates glucose-mediated oxidative stress in quiescent cell phase: linking heme to hyperglycemia complications. Curr Neurovasc Res. 2005;2:103-11 pubmed..These results imply that expression of HO-1 in G0/G1 cells may be a key player in decreasing cellular heme, associated with increased generation of bilirubin, and in attenuating glucose mediated oxidative stress. ..
- Chahine T, Baccarelli A, Litonjua A, Wright R, Suh H, Gold D, et al. Particulate air pollution, oxidative stress genes, and heart rate variability in an elderly cohort. Environ Health Perspect. 2007;115:1617-22 pubmed..Oxidative stress is an important pathway for the autonomic effects of particles. ..
- Wei Y, Liu X, Peyton K, Wang H, Johnson F, Johnson R, et al. Hypochlorous acid-induced heme oxygenase-1 gene expression promotes human endothelial cell survival. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2009;297:C907-15 pubmed publisher..The ability of HOCl to activate HO-1 gene expression may represent a critical adaptive response to maintain endothelial cell viability at sites of vascular inflammation and atherosclerosis...
- Vanella L, Kim D, Asprinio D, Peterson S, Barbagallo I, Vanella A, et al. HO-1 expression increases mesenchymal stem cell-derived osteoblasts but decreases adipocyte lineage. Bone. 2010;46:236-43 pubmed publisher..Thus, targeting HO-1 expression is a portal to increased osteoblast stem cell differentiation and to the attenuation of osteoporosis by the promotion of bone formation. ..
- Grosser N, Abate A, Oberle S, Vreman H, Dennery P, Becker J, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 induction may explain the antioxidant profile of aspirin. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;308:956-60 pubmed..Induction of HO-1 expression and activity may be a novel mechanism by which aspirin prevents cellular injury under inflammatory conditions and in cardiovascular disease. ..
- Brydun A, Watari Y, Yamamoto Y, Okuhara K, Teragawa H, Kono F, et al. Reduced expression of heme oxygenase-1 in patients with coronary atherosclerosis. Hypertens Res. 2007;30:341-8 pubmed..50, p<0.01). In conclusion, the capacity to upregulate HO-1 expression may be determined, at least in part, by genetics, and reduced ability to induce HO-1 may be involved in the mechanism of coronary atherosclerosis. ..
- Ning W, Song R, Li C, Park E, Mohsenin A, Choi A, et al. TGF-beta1 stimulates HO-1 via the p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase in A549 pulmonary epithelial cells. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2002;283:L1094-102 pubmed..These studies demonstrate the critical intermediacy of the p38 MAPK pathway in the regulation of HO-1 expression by TGF-beta1. ..
- Kaneda H, Ohno M, Taguchi J, Togo M, Hashimoto H, Ogasawara K, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 gene promoter polymorphism is associated with coronary artery disease in Japanese patients with coronary risk factors. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2002;22:1680-5 pubmed..HO-1 may play an antiatherogenic role in Japanese patients with these coronary risk factors. ..
- Denschlag D, Marculescu R, Unfried G, Hefler L, Exner M, Hashemi A, et al. The size of a microsatellite polymorphism of the haem oxygenase 1 gene is associated with idiopathic recurrent miscarriage. Mol Hum Reprod. 2004;10:211-4 pubmed..In summary, this is the first report on a HO-1 (GT)(n) microsatellite polymorphism among women with IRM, demonstrating that the investigated polymorphism is associated with IRM in a relatively large Caucasian population. ..
- Soares M, Seldon M, Gregoire I, Vassilevskaia T, Berberat P, Yu J, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 modulates the expression of adhesion molecules associated with endothelial cell activation. J Immunol. 2004;172:3553-63 pubmed..This effect of HO-1 is mediated by bilirubin and/or by a decrease of free intracellular Fe2+ but probably not by biliverdin or carbon monoxide. ..
- Abdalla M, Britigan B, Wen F, Icardi M, McCormick M, LaBrecque D, et al. Down-regulation of heme oxygenase-1 by hepatitis C virus infection in vivo and by the in vitro expression of hepatitis C core protein. J Infect Dis. 2004;190:1109-18 pubmed..The expression of HO-1 was also reduced in cell lines that stably express HCV core protein, which suggests that core gene products are capable of regulating the expression of HO-1. ..
- Goven D, Boutten A, Lecon Malas V, Boczkowski J, Bonay M. Prolonged cigarette smoke exposure decreases heme oxygenase-1 and alters Nrf2 and Bach1 expression in human macrophages: roles of the MAP kinases ERK(1/2) and JNK. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:3508-18 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that ERK(1/2) and JNK are involved in CS-induced biphasic HO-1 expression by a specific regulation of Nrf2/Keap1-Bach1. ..
- Schuller D, Wilks A, Ortiz de Montellano P, Poulos T. Crystal structure of human heme oxygenase-1. Nat Struct Biol. 1999;6:860-7 pubmed..Regioselective oxygenation of the alpha-meso heme carbon is due primarily to steric influence of the distal helix. ..
- He J, Ruan J, Connett J, Anthonisen N, Pare P, Sandford A. Antioxidant gene polymorphisms and susceptibility to a rapid decline in lung function in smokers. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002;166:323-8 pubmed..20; p = 0.01). However, due to the multiple comparisons that were made, these associations may represent type 1 error. There was no association between HMOX1 (GT)n alleles and the rate of decline in lung function in smokers. ..
- Jozkowicz A, Huk I, Nigisch A, Weigel G, Dietrich W, Motterlini R, et al. Heme oxygenase and angiogenic activity of endothelial cells: stimulation by carbon monoxide and inhibition by tin protoporphyrin-IX. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2003;5:155-62 pubmed..Thus, HO activity up-regulates VEGF production and augments the capability of endothelial cells to respond to exogenous stimulation. ..
- Mateo I, Infante J, Sanchez Juan P, Garcia Gorostiaga I, Rodriguez Rodriguez E, Vázquez Higuera J, et al. Serum heme oxygenase-1 levels are increased in Parkinson's disease but not in Alzheimer's disease. Acta Neurol Scand. 2010;121:136-8 pubmed publisher..The increase of serum HO-1 levels in PD patients could indicate a systemic antioxidant reaction related to a chronic oxidative stress state in PD brain. ..
- Maines M, Abrahamsson P. Expression of heme oxygenase-1 (HSP32) in human prostate: normal, hyperplastic, and tumor tissue distribution. Urology. 1996;47:727-33 pubmed..Presently, we have determined the pattern of tissue expression of the stress-inducible isozyme, HO-1 (HSP32), in human prostate under normal and pathologic conditions, by immunohistochemistry, using polyclonal antibodies, ..
- Shan Y, Lambrecht R, Ghaziani T, Donohue S, Bonkovsky H. Role of Bach-1 in regulation of heme oxygenase-1 in human liver cells: insights from studies with small interfering RNAS. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:51769-74 pubmed..Exogenous heme produces additional up-regulation, beyond that produced by Bach-1 siRNAs, suggesting that heme does not act solely through its effects on Bach-1. ..
- Morgan L, Hawe E, Palmen J, Montgomery H, Humphries S, Kitchen N. Polymorphism of the heme oxygenase-1 gene and cerebral aneurysms. Br J Neurosurg. 2005;19:317-21 pubmed..However, because of the relatively small sample size and modest statistical significance, the data must be interpreted with caution and the association needs to be confirmed in further samples. ..
- Becker J, Fukui H, Imai Y, Sekikawa A, Kimura T, Yamagishi H, et al. Colonic expression of heme oxygenase-1 is associated with a better long-term survival in patients with colorectal cancer. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2007;42:852-8 pubmed..Kaplan-Meier analysis showed a significantly better survival for colorectal cancer patients with colonic HO-1 expression (p=0.018). This study demonstrates that colonic HO-1 may be a prognostic marker of colorectal-cancer outcome. ..
- Buis C, van der Steege G, Visser D, Nolte I, Hepkema B, Nijsten M, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 genotype of the donor is associated with graft survival after liver transplantation. Am J Transplant. 2008;8:377-85 pubmed..In conclusion, HO-1 genotype is associated with outcome after liver transplantation. These findings suggest that HO-1 mediates graft survival after liver transplantation. ..
- Lin C, Shen S, Hou W, Yang L, Chen Y. Heme oxygenase-1 inhibits breast cancer invasion via suppressing the expression of matrix metalloproteinase-9. Mol Cancer Ther. 2008;7:1195-206 pubmed publisherIn the present study, we investigated the antitumor effects of the invasiveness and migration of heme oxygenase 1 (HO-1) in human breast carcinoma cells...
- Hirai H, Kubo H, Yamaya M, Nakayama K, Numasaki M, Kobayashi S, et al. Microsatellite polymorphism in heme oxygenase-1 gene promoter is associated with susceptibility to oxidant-induced apoptosis in lymphoblastoid cell lines. Blood. 2003;102:1619-21 pubmed..These findings suggested that the polymorphism of the HO-1 gene is associated with the strength of antiapoptotic effects of HO-1, resulting in an association with susceptibility to oxidative stress-mediated diseases. ..
- Endler G, Exner M, Schillinger M, Marculescu R, Sunder Plassmann R, Raith M, et al. A microsatellite polymorphism in the heme oxygenase-1 gene promoter is associated with increased bilirubin and HDL levels but not with coronary artery disease. Thromb Haemost. 2004;91:155-61 pubmedb>Heme oxygenase 1 (HO-1) is involved in the generation of the endogenous anti-oxidant bilirubin which exerts beneficial effects against arteriosclerosis...
- Anwar A, Li F, Leake D, Ishii T, Mann G, Siow R. Induction of heme oxygenase 1 by moderately oxidized low-density lipoproteins in human vascular smooth muscle cells: role of mitogen-activated protein kinases and Nrf2. Free Radic Biol Med. 2005;39:227-36 pubmed..LDL) play a central role in atherogenesis and induce expression of the antioxidant stress protein heme oxygenase 1 (HO-1)...
- Li B, Takeda K, Yokoyama S, Shibahara S. A prolyl-hydroxylase inhibitor, ethyl-3,4-dihydroxybenzoate, induces haem oxygenase-1 expression in human cells through a mechanism independent of hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha. J Biochem. 2008;144:643-54 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the signals evoked by hypoxia and after EDHB treatment differentially regulate HO-1 mRNA expression through HIF-1alpha-independent mechanisms. ..
- Barbagallo I, Vanella A, Peterson S, Kim D, Tibullo D, Giallongo C, et al. Overexpression of heme oxygenase-1 increases human osteoblast stem cell differentiation. J Bone Miner Metab. 2010;28:276-88 pubmed publisher..Thus, the targeting of HO-1 gene expression presents a portal to increase osteoblast function and differentiation and attenuate osteoporosis by promoting bone formation. ..
- Shibahara S, Sato M, Muller R, Yoshida T. Structural organization of the human heme oxygenase gene and the function of its promoter. Eur J Biochem. 1989;179:557-63 pubmed..The 5'-flanking region of the human HO gene bearing a potential HSE failed to confer the heat-inducibility of gpt RNA production, suggesting that the HSE of the human HO gene is not functional. ..
- Bruce C, Carey A, Hawley J, Febbraio M. Intramuscular heat shock protein 72 and heme oxygenase-1 mRNA are reduced in patients with type 2 diabetes: evidence that insulin resistance is associated with a disturbed antioxidant defense mechanism. Diabetes. 2003;52:2338-45 pubmed..The data provide new evidence that the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes involves perturbations to the antioxidant defense mechanism within skeletal muscle. ..
- Miralem T, Hu Z, Torno M, Lelli K, Maines M. Small interference RNA-mediated gene silencing of human biliverdin reductase, but not that of heme oxygenase-1, attenuates arsenite-mediated induction of the oxygenase and increases apoptosis in 293A kidney cells. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:17084-92 pubmed..The findings describe the function of BVR in HO-1 oxidative response and, demonstrate, for the first time, not only that BVR advances the role of HO-1 in cytoprotection but also affords cytoprotection independent of heme degradation. ..
- Hausmann M, Paul G, Kellermeier S, Frey I, Scholmerich J, Falk W, et al. (GT)N dinucleotide repeat polymorphism of haem oxygenase-1 promotor region is not associated with inflammatory bowel disease risk or disease course. Clin Exp Immunol. 2008;153:81-5 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that (GT)(n) dinucleotide repeats of the HO-1 promotor region have no significance for the pathophysiology and disease course of IBD. ..
- Abraham N, Scapagnini G, Kappas A. Human heme oxygenase: cell cycle-dependent expression and DNA microarray identification of multiple gene responses after transduction of endothelial cells. J Cell Biochem. 2003;90:1098-111 pubmed..These findings identify an array of gene responses to overexpression of human HO-1 and elucidate new aspects of human HO-1 signaling involved in cell growth. ..