Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: HIST1H4A
Description: histone cluster 1 H4 family member a
Alias: H4FA, histone H4, H4 histone family, member A, histone 1, H4a, histone cluster 1, H4a
Publications128 found, 100 shown here
- Mallette F, Mattiroli F, Cui G, Young L, Hendzel M, Mer G, et al. RNF8- and RNF168-dependent degradation of KDM4A/JMJD2A triggers 53BP1 recruitment to DNA damage sites. EMBO J. 2012;31:1865-78 pubmed publisher..of the ubiquitination cascade controlled by the E3 ubiquitin ligases RNF8 and RNF168, and methylation of histone H4 on lysine 20...
- Citterio E, Van Den Boom V, Schnitzler G, Kanaar R, Bonte E, Kingston R, et al. ATP-dependent chromatin remodeling by the Cockayne syndrome B DNA repair-transcription-coupling factor. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:7643-53 pubmed..CSB is the first repair protein found to play a direct role in modulating nucleosome structure. The relevance of this finding to the interplay between transcription and repair is discussed. ..
- Fang J, Feng Q, Ketel C, Wang H, Cao R, Xia L, et al. Purification and functional characterization of SET8, a nucleosomal histone H4-lysine 20-specific methyltransferase. Curr Biol. 2002;12:1086-99 pubmed..Thus far, only 2 residues on histone H4 are known to be methylated...
- Gyory I, Fejer G, Ghosh N, Seto E, Wright K. Identification of a functionally impaired positive regulatory domain I binding factor 1 transcription repressor in myeloma cell lines. J Immunol. 2003;170:3125-33 pubmed..The expression of each of the truncated proteins is elevated in cancerous cells and may play an important role in the disease. ..
- Amente S, Napolitano G, Licciardo P, Monti M, Pucci P, Lania L, et al. Identification of proteins interacting with the RNAPII FCP1 phosphatase: FCP1 forms a complex with arginine methyltransferase PRMT5 and it is a substrate for PRMT5-mediated methylation. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:683-9 pubmed..We found that FCP1 is a genuine substrate of PRMT5-methylation both in vivo and in vitro, and FCP1-associated PRMT5 can methylate histones H4 in vitro. ..
- Faiola F, Liu X, Lo S, Pan S, Zhang K, Lymar E, et al. Dual regulation of c-Myc by p300 via acetylation-dependent control of Myc protein turnover and coactivation of Myc-induced transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:10220-34 pubmed..Our results suggest dual roles for p300/CBP in Myc regulation: as a Myc coactivator that stabilizes Myc and as an inducer of Myc instability via direct Myc acetylation. ..
- Saha R, Jana M, Pahan K. MAPK p38 regulates transcriptional activity of NF-kappaB in primary human astrocytes via acetylation of p65. J Immunol. 2007;179:7101-9 pubmed..Taken together, this study illuminates a novel regulatory role of p38 during neuroinflammation where this MAP kinase controls acetylation of NF-kappaB p65 by regulating acetyltransferase activity of coactivator p300. ..
- Sims J, Rice J. PR-Set7 establishes a repressive trans-tail histone code that regulates differentiation. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:4459-68 pubmed publisher..We previously discovered a novel trans-tail histone code involving monomethylated histone H4 lysine 20 (H4K20) and H3 lysine 9 (H3K9); however, the mechanisms that establish this code and its function in ..
- Saade E, Mechold U, Kulyyassov A, Vertut D, Lipinski M, Ogryzko V. Analysis of interaction partners of H4 histone by a new proteomics approach. Proteomics. 2009;9:4934-43 pubmed publisher..We illustrate our new approach by analysis of soluble nuclear complexes containing histone H4 purified from HeLa cells...
- Shuaib M, Ouararhni K, Dimitrov S, Hamiche A. HJURP binds CENP-A via a highly conserved N-terminal domain and mediates its deposition at centromeres. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:1349-54 pubmed publisher..Our data identified HJURP as a vertebrate CENP-A chaperone and dissected its mode of interactions with CENP-A. ..
- Wang F, Zhang R, Wu X, Hankinson O. Roles of coactivators in hypoxic induction of the erythropoietin gene. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10002 pubmed publisher..The coactivators exhibit different specificities for different HIF target genes and each can behave differently in transcriptional regulation of different target genes mediated by the same transcription factor. ..
- Zheng X, Gai X, Ding F, Lu Z, Tu K, Yao Y, et al. Histone acetyltransferase PCAF up-regulated cell apoptosis in hepatocellular carcinoma via acetylating histone H4 and inactivating AKT signaling. Mol Cancer. 2013;12:96 pubmed publisher..PCAF overexpression induced cell apoptosis and growth arrest with increased Histone H4 acetylation and inactivation of AKT signaling in Huh7 and HepG2 cells...
- Meng H, Liang Y, Hao J, Lu J. Comparison of Rejection-Specific Genes in Peripheral Blood and Allograft Biopsy From Kidney Transplant. Transplant Proc. 2018;50:115-123 pubmed publisher..We observed only one overlapping gene, HIST1H4A, consistently expressed in biopsy samples and blood...
- Wang H, Huang Z, Xia L, Feng Q, Erdjument Bromage H, Strahl B, et al. Methylation of histone H4 at arginine 3 facilitating transcriptional activation by nuclear hormone receptor. Science. 2001;293:853-7 pubmed..Here, we report the purification, molecular identification, and functional characterization of a histone H4-specific methyltransferase PRMT1, a protein arginine methyltransferase...
- Kalkhoven E, Teunissen H, Houweling A, Verrijzer C, Zantema A. The PHD type zinc finger is an integral part of the CBP acetyltransferase domain. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:1961-70 pubmed..Taken together, our results indicate that the PHD finger forms an integral part of the enzymatic core of the HAT domain of CBP. ..
- Yasuda J, Yokoo H, Yamada T, Kitabayashi I, Sekiya T, Ichikawa H. Nemo-like kinase suppresses a wide range of transcription factors, including nuclear factor-kappaB. Cancer Sci. 2004;95:52-7 pubmed..The extent of suppression by NLK was similar among the transcription factors tested (50-60% reduction). Our results suggest that NLK may suppress a wide range of gene expression, possibly through CBP. ..
- Zhou Y, Grummt I. The PHD finger/bromodomain of NoRC interacts with acetylated histone H4K16 and is sufficient for rDNA silencing. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1434-8 pubmed..silences transcription by establishing heterochromatic features-including DNA methylation, hypoacetylation of histone H4, and methylation of H3K9-at the rDNA promoter ...
- Ford E, Voit R, Liszt G, Magin C, Grummt I, Guarente L. Mammalian Sir2 homolog SIRT7 is an activator of RNA polymerase I transcription. Genes Dev. 2006;20:1075-80 pubmed..Depletion of SIRT7 stops cell proliferation and triggers apoptosis. Our findings suggest that SIRT7 is a positive regulator of Pol I transcription and is required for cell viability in mammals. ..
- Lacroix M, El Messaoudi S, Rodier G, Le Cam A, Sardet C, Fabbrizio E. The histone-binding protein COPR5 is required for nuclear functions of the protein arginine methyltransferase PRMT5. EMBO Rep. 2008;9:452-8 pubmed publisher..PRMT5 bound to COPR5 methylates histone H4 (R3) preferentially when compared with histone H3 (R8), suggesting that COPR5 modulates the substrate ..
- Gill J, Kumar A, Yogavel M, Belrhali H, Jain S, Rug M, et al. Structure, localization and histone binding properties of nuclear-associated nucleosome assembly protein from Plasmodium falciparum. Malar J. 2010;9:90 pubmed publisher..This work presents a thorough analysis of the structural, functional and regulatory attributes of PfNapS from P. falciparum with respect to previously studied histone chaperones. ..
- Ask K, Jasencakova Z, Menard P, Feng Y, Almouzni G, Groth A. Codanin-1, mutated in the anaemic disease CDAI, regulates Asf1 function in S-phase histone supply. EMBO J. 2012;31:2013-23 pubmed publisher..This function is compromised by two CDAI mutations that impair complex formation with Asf1, providing insight into the molecular basis for CDAI disease. ..
- Lubula M, Eckenroth B, Carlson S, Poplawski A, Chruszcz M, Glass K. Structural insights into recognition of acetylated histone ligands by the BRPF1 bromodomain. FEBS Lett. 2014;588:3844-54 pubmed publisher..Our results provide critical insights into the molecular mechanism of ligand binding by the BRPF1 bromodomain, and reveal that ordered water molecules are an essential component driving ligand recognition. ..
- Klement K, Luijsterburg M, Pinder J, Cena C, Del Nero V, Wintersinger C, et al. Opposing ISWI- and CHD-class chromatin remodeling activities orchestrate heterochromatic DNA repair. J Cell Biol. 2014;207:717-33 pubmed publisher..1 and ACF1), which we suggest necessitates a two-step dispersal and recruitment system regulating these opposing chromatin remodeling activities during DSB repair. ..
- Yan Fang T, Zhi Heng L, Li Xiao X, Fang F, Jun L, Gang L, et al. Molecular Mechanism of the Cell Death Induced by the Histone Deacetylase Pan Inhibitor LBH589 (Panobinostat) in Wilms Tumor Cells. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0126566 pubmed publisher..Ingenuity Pathway Analysis identified important upstream molecules: HIST2H3C, HIST1H4A, HIST1A, HIST1C, HIST1D, histone H1, histone H3, RPRM, HSP70 and MYC...
- Zong H, Li Z, Liu L, Hong Y, Yun X, Jiang J, et al. Cyclin-dependent kinase 11(p58) interacts with HBO1 and enhances its histone acetyltransferase activity. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:3579-88 pubmed..Thus, we conclude that CDK11(p58) is a new interacting protein and a novel regulator of HBO1. Both of the proteins may be involved in the regulation of eukaryotic transcription. ..
- Eckey M, Hong W, Papaioannou M, Baniahmad A. The nucleosome assembly activity of NAP1 is enhanced by Alien. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:3557-68 pubmed..Based on these findings, we present here a novel pathway linking corepressor function with nucleosome assembly activity. ..
- Chang P, Hom R, Musselman C, Zhu L, Kuo A, Gozani O, et al. Binding of the MLL PHD3 finger to histone H3K4me3 is required for MLL-dependent gene transcription. J Mol Biol. 2010;400:137-44 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, these findings reveal that MLL not only "writes" the H3K4me3 mark but also binds the mark, and this binding is required for the transcriptional maintenance functions of MLL. ..
- Koiwai K, Noma S, Takahashi Y, Hayano T, Maezawa S, Kouda K, et al. TdIF2 is a nucleolar protein that promotes rRNA gene promoter activity. Genes Cells. 2011;16:748-64 pubmed publisher..In addition, TdIF2 promotes upstream binding factor (UBF) acetylation in vivo. Thus, TdIF2 might promote hrDNAP activity by suppressing Tip60's HAT activity and promoting UBF acetylation. ..
- Tang J, Cho N, Cui G, Manion E, Shanbhag N, Botuyan M, et al. Acetylation limits 53BP1 association with damaged chromatin to promote homologous recombination. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2013;20:317-25 pubmed publisher..sequelae of BRCA1 mutation in human and mouse cells are mitigated by concomitant deletion of 53BP1, which binds histone H4 dimethylated at Lys20 (H4K20me2) to promote nonhomologous end joining, suggesting that a balance between BRCA1 ..
- Lopes da Rosa J, Bajaj V, Spoonamore J, Kaufman P. A small molecule inhibitor of fungal histone acetyltransferase Rtt109. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2013;23:2853-9 pubmed publisher..This compound inhibits Rtt109 regardless of which histone chaperone cofactor protein (Asf1 or Vps75) is present, and appears to inhibit Rtt109 via a tight-binding, uncompetitive mechanism. ..
- Fradet Turcotte A, Canny M, Escribano Diaz C, Orthwein A, Leung C, Huang H, et al. 53BP1 is a reader of the DNA-damage-induced H2A Lys 15 ubiquitin mark. Nature. 2013;499:50-4 pubmed publisher..How ubiquitin recruits 53BP1 to break sites remains unknown as its relocalization involves recognition of histone H4 Lys?20 (H4K20) methylation by its Tudor domain...
- Stielow C, Stielow B, Finkernagel F, Scharfe M, Jarek M, Suske G. SUMOylation of the polycomb group protein L3MBTL2 facilitates repression of its target genes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:3044-58 pubmed publisher..Finally, we provide evidence that SUMOylation of L3MBTL2 facilitates repression of these PRC1.6-target genes by balancing the local H2Aub1 levels established by the ubiquitinating enzyme RING2 and the de-ubiquitinating PR-DUB complex. ..
- Wang C, Zhu Y, Caceres T, Liu L, Peng J, Wang J, et al. Structural determinants for the strict monomethylation activity by trypanosoma brucei protein arginine methyltransferase 7. Structure. 2014;22:756-68 pubmed publisher..the crystal structure of the TbPRMT7 active core in complex with S-adenosyl-L-homocysteine (AdoHcy) and a histone H4 peptide substrate...
- Pan D, Chen J, Feng C, Wu W, Wang Y, Tong J, et al. Preferential Localization of MUC1 Glycoprotein in Exosomes Secreted by Non-Small Cell Lung Carcinoma Cells. Int J Mol Sci. 2019;20: pubmed publisher..In the exosomes, LC-MS/MS by data-independent analysis mode identified 3235 proteins. THBS1, ANXA6, HIST1H4A, COL18A1, MDK, SRGN, ENO1, TUBA4A, SLC3A2, GPI, MIF, MUC1, TALDO1, SLC7A5, ICAM1, HSP90AA1, G6PD, and LRP1 were ..
- Aziz F, van Wijnen A, Vaughan P, Wu S, Shakoori A, Lian J, et al. The integrated activities of IRF-2 (HiNF-M), CDP/cut (HiNF-D) and H4TF-2 (HiNF-P) regulate transcription of a cell cycle controlled human histone H4 gene: mechanistic differences between distinct H4 genes. Mol Biol Rep. 1998;25:1-12 pubmedMaximal transcription of a prototypical cell cycle controlled histone H4 gene requires a proliferation-specific in vivo genomic protein/DNA interaction element, Site II...
- Yu J, Li Y, Ishizuka T, Guenther M, Lazar M. A SANT motif in the SMRT corepressor interprets the histone code and promotes histone deacetylation. EMBO J. 2003;22:3403-10 pubmed..This implies that the SMRT HID participates in interpreting the histone code in a feed-forward mechanism that promotes and maintains histone deacetylation at genomic sites of SMRT recruitment. ..
- Macfarlan T, Kutney S, Altman B, Montross R, Yu J, Chakravarti D. Human THAP7 is a chromatin-associated, histone tail-binding protein that represses transcription via recruitment of HDAC3 and nuclear hormone receptor corepressor. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:7346-58 pubmed..THAP7 binds preferentially to hypoacetylated (un-, mono-, and diacetylated) histone H4 tails in vitro via its C-terminal 77 amino acids...
- Wu H, Moshkina N, Min J, Zeng H, Joshua J, Zhou M, et al. Structural basis for substrate specificity and catalysis of human histone acetyltransferase 1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:8925-30 pubmed publisher..member of the histone acetyltransferase superfamily and catalyzes lysine acetylation of newly synthesized histone H4. Here we report a 1...
- Magin R, Liszczak G, Marmorstein R. The molecular basis for histone H4- and H2A-specific amino-terminal acetylation by NatD. Structure. 2015;23:332-41 pubmed publisher..These studies have implications for understanding substrate-specific acetylation by NAT enzymes. ..
- Swaminathan V, Kishore A, Febitha K, Kundu T. Human histone chaperone nucleophosmin enhances acetylation-dependent chromatin transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:7534-45 pubmed..These results establish nucleophosmin (NPM1) as a human histone chaperone that becomes acetylated, resulting in the enhancement of chromatin transcription. ..
- Yan Q, Dutt S, Xu R, Graves K, Juszczynski P, Manis J, et al. BBAP monoubiquitylates histone H4 at lysine 91 and selectively modulates the DNA damage response. Mol Cell. 2009;36:110-20 pubmed publisher..Herein, we demonstrate that BBAP selectively monoubiquitylates histone H4 lysine 91 and protects cells exposed to DNA-damaging agents...
- Lee H, Park J, Kim S, Kwon S, Kwon J. A cooperative activation loop among SWI/SNF, gamma-H2AX and H3 acetylation for DNA double-strand break repair. EMBO J. 2010;29:1434-45 pubmed publisher..The H3 acetylation on gamma-H2AX nucleosomes is induced by DNA damage. These results collectively suggest that SWI/SNF, gamma-H2AX and H3 acetylation cooperatively act in a feedback activation loop to facilitate DSB repair. ..
- Park J, Sun X, Roeder R. The SANT domain of p400 ATPase represses acetyltransferase activity and coactivator function of TIP60 in basal p21 gene expression. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:2750-61 pubmed publisher..Z at the promoter. ..
- Ruthenburg A, Li H, Milne T, Dewell S, McGinty R, Yuen M, et al. Recognition of a mononucleosomal histone modification pattern by BPTF via multivalent interactions. Cell. 2011;145:692-706 pubmed publisher..Together, our data call attention to nucleosomal patterning of covalent marks in dictating critical chromatin associations. ..
- Tropberger P, Pott S, Keller C, Kamieniarz Gdula K, Caron M, Richter F, et al. Regulation of transcription through acetylation of H3K122 on the lateral surface of the histone octamer. Cell. 2013;152:859-72 pubmed publisher..Collectively, this suggests that transcriptional regulators elicit their effects not only via signaling to histone tails but also via direct structural perturbation of nucleosomes by directing acetylation to their lateral surface. ..
- Shen M, Zhou T, Xie W, Ling T, Zhu Q, Zong L, et al. The chromatin remodeling factor CSB recruits histone acetyltransferase PCAF to rRNA gene promoters in active state for transcription initiation. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e62668 pubmed publisher..CSB is required for the association of PCAF with rDNA, which induces acetylation of histone H4 and histone H3K9. Overexpression of CSB promotes the association of PCAF with rDNA...
- Yu M, Schreek S, Cerni C, Schamberger C, Lesniewicz K, Poreba E, et al. PARP-10, a novel Myc-interacting protein with poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase activity, inhibits transformation. Oncogene. 2005;24:1982-93 pubmed..Together, our findings define a novel PARP enzyme involved in the control of cell proliferation. ..
- Smith E, Cayrou C, Huang R, Lane W, Cote J, Lucchesi J. A human protein complex homologous to the Drosophila MSL complex is responsible for the majority of histone H4 acetylation at lysine 16. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:9175-88 pubmed..This complex shows strong specificity for histone H4 lysine 16 in chromatin in vitro, and RNA interference-mediated knockdown experiments reveal that it is ..
- Ghizzoni M, Wu J, Gao T, Haisma H, Dekker F, George Zheng Y. 6-alkylsalicylates are selective Tip60 inhibitors and target the acetyl-CoA binding site. Eur J Med Chem. 2012;47:337-44 pubmed publisher..In addition, these HAT inhibitors effectively inhibited acetyltransferase activity of nuclear extracts on the histone H3 and H4 at micromolar concentrations. ..
- Cheng I, Chen B, Shuai H, Chien F, Chen P, Hsieh T. Wuho Is a New Member in Maintaining Genome Stability through its Interaction with Flap Endonuclease 1. PLoS Biol. 2016;14:e1002349 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that wh is a new member of the guardians of genome stability because it regulates FEN1's potential DNA cleavage threat near the site of replication. ..
- Chuikov S, Kurash J, Wilson J, Xiao B, Justin N, Ivanov G, et al. Regulation of p53 activity through lysine methylation. Nature. 2004;432:353-60 pubmed..The crystal structure of a ternary complex of Set9 with a p53 peptide and the cofactor product S-adenosyl-l-homocysteine (AdoHcy) provides the molecular basis for recognition of p53 by this lysine methyltransferase. ..
- Yin Y, Liu C, Tsai S, Zhou B, Ngai S, Zhu G. SET8 recognizes the sequence RHRK20VLRDN within the N terminus of histone H4 and mono-methylates lysine 20. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:30025-31 pubmedMethylation of lysine 20 in histone H4 has been proven to play important roles in chromatin structure and gene regulation. SET8 is one of the methyltransferases identified to be specific for this modification...
- Plotnikov A, Yang S, Zhou T, Rusinova E, Frasca A, Zhou M. Structural insights into acetylated-histone H4 recognition by the bromodomain-PHD finger module of human transcriptional coactivator CBP. Structure. 2014;22:353-60 pubmed publisher..of the bromodomain-PHD tandem module of human transcriptional coactivator CBP bound to lysine-acetylated histone H4 peptides...
- Bordoli L, Hüsser S, Lüthi U, Netsch M, Osmani H, Eckner R. Functional analysis of the p300 acetyltransferase domain: the PHD finger of p300 but not of CBP is dispensable for enzymatic activity. Nucleic Acids Res. 2001;29:4462-71 pubmed
- Brackertz M, Gong Z, Leers J, Renkawitz R. p66alpha and p66beta of the Mi-2/NuRD complex mediate MBD2 and histone interaction. Nucleic Acids Res. 2006;34:397-406 pubmed..These results suggest a two-interaction forward feedback binding mode, with a stable chromatin association only after deacetylation of the histones has occurred. ..
- Naeem H, Cheng D, Zhao Q, Underhill C, Tini M, Bedford M, et al. The activity and stability of the transcriptional coactivator p/CIP/SRC-3 are regulated by CARM1-dependent methylation. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:120-34 pubmed..Collectively, our data highlight coactivator methylation as an important regulatory mechanism in hormonal signaling. ..
- Hu H, Liu Y, Wang M, Fang J, Huang H, Yang N, et al. Structure of a CENP-A-histone H4 heterodimer in complex with chaperone HJURP. Genes Dev. 2011;25:901-6 pubmed publisher..The crystal structure of an HJURP-CENP-A-histone H4 complex shows that HJURP binds a CENP-A-H4 heterodimer...
- Suganuma T, Kawabata M, Ohshima T, Ikeda M. Growth suppression of human carcinoma cells by reintroduction of the p300 coactivator. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:13073-8 pubmed..These results provide experimental evidence to show that p300 acts as a suppressor of tumor cell growth and suggest a distinct role of p300 in suppression of epithelial tumors. ..
- Ji A, Dao D, Chen J, MacLellan W. EID-2, a novel member of the EID family of p300-binding proteins inhibits transactivation by MyoD. Gene. 2003;318:35-43 pubmed..These data suggest that EID-1 and -2 represent a novel family of proteins that negatively regulate differentiation through a p300-dependent mechanism. ..
- Kanno T, Kanno Y, Siegel R, Jang M, Lenardo M, Ozato K. Selective recognition of acetylated histones by bromodomain proteins visualized in living cells. Mol Cell. 2004;13:33-43 pubmed..The bromodomain protein Brd2 selectively interacted with acetylated lysine 12 on histone H4, whereas TAF(II)250 and PCAF recognized H3 and other acetylated histones, indicating fine specificity of histone ..
- Phee H, Abraham R, Weiss A. Dynamic recruitment of PAK1 to the immunological synapse is mediated by PIX independently of SLP-76 and Vav1. Nat Immunol. 2005;6:608-17 pubmed..These data indicate that a pathway involving the GIT-PIX-PAK1 complex has a crucial function in PAK1 activation by recruiting PAK1 to the immunological synapse. ..
- Bassett E, Denizio J, Barnhart Dailey M, Panchenko T, Sekulic N, Rogers D, et al. HJURP uses distinct CENP-A surfaces to recognize and to stabilize CENP-A/histone H4 for centromere assembly. Dev Cell. 2012;22:749-62 pubmed publisher..These data offer insight into the mechanism by which HJURP discriminates CENP-A from bulk histone complexes and chaperones CENP-A/H4 for a substantial portion of the cell cycle prior to mediating chromatin assembly at the centromere...
- Sato K, Ishiai M, Toda K, Furukoshi S, Osakabe A, Tachiwana H, et al. Histone chaperone activity of Fanconi anemia proteins, FANCD2 and FANCI, is required for DNA crosslink repair. EMBO J. 2012;31:3524-36 pubmed publisher..Although FANCI by itself lacked nucleosome-assembly activity, it significantly stimulated FANCD2-mediated nucleosome assembly. These observations suggest that FANCD2-FANCI may regulate chromatin dynamics during DNA repair. ..
- Antonysamy S, Bonday Z, Campbell R, Doyle B, Druzina Z, Gheyi T, et al. Crystal structure of the human PRMT5:MEP50 complex. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:17960-5 pubmed publisher..MEP50 (methylosome protein 50), bound to an S-adenosylmethionine analog and a peptide substrate derived from histone H4. The structure of the surprising hetero-octameric complex reveals the close interaction between the seven-bladed ..
- Lee J, Sayegh J, Daniel J, Clarke S, Bedford M. PRMT8, a new membrane-bound tissue-specific member of the protein arginine methyltransferase family. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:32890-6 pubmed..PRMT8 is thus an active arginine methyltransferase that is membrane-associated and tissue-specific, two firsts for this family of enzymes. ..
- Borowski P, Heiland M, Oehlmann K, Becker B, Kornetzky L, Feucht H, et al. Non-structural protein 3 of hepatitis C virus inhibits phosphorylation mediated by cAMP-dependent protein kinase. Eur J Biochem. 1996;237:611-8 pubmed..The complex interactions of the NS3 fragments could influence one of the most important signal pathways of the cell and, therefore, could possibly provide new pathological mechanisms for HCV infections of liver...
- Xiao B, Jing C, Kelly G, Walker P, Muskett F, Frenkiel T, et al. Specificity and mechanism of the histone methyltransferase Pr-Set7. Genes Dev. 2005;19:1444-54 pubmed..the crystal structure of a ternary complex of the enzyme Pr-Set7 (also known as Set8) that methylates Lys 20 of histone H4 (H4-K20)...
- Wu S, Trievel R, Rice J. Human SFMBT is a transcriptional repressor protein that selectively binds the N-terminal tail of histone H3. FEBS Lett. 2007;581:3289-96 pubmed..These findings indicate that the tandem MBT repeats form a functional structure required for biological activity of hSFMBT and predict similar properties for other MBT domain-containing proteins. ..
- Iizuka M, Takahashi Y, Mizzen C, Cook R, Fujita M, Allis C, et al. Histone acetyltransferase Hbo1: catalytic activity, cellular abundance, and links to primary cancers. Gene. 2009;436:108-14 pubmed publisher..Here we show that recombinant Hbo1 can acetylate nucleosomal histone H4 in vitro, with a preference for lysines 5 and 12...
- Couture J, Collazo E, Brunzelle J, Trievel R. Structural and functional analysis of SET8, a histone H4 Lys-20 methyltransferase. Genes Dev. 2005;19:1455-65 pubmedSET8 (also known as PR-SET7) is a histone H4-Lys-20-specific methyltransferase that is implicated in cell-cycle-dependent transcriptional silencing and mitotic regulation in metazoans...
- Park S, Martinez Yamout M, Dyson H, Wright P. The CH2 domain of CBP/p300 is a novel zinc finger. FEBS Lett. 2013;587:2506-11 pubmed publisher..We tested the hypothesis that the bromodomain and the CH2 domain can interact with histones, but found that the CH2 does not participate in histone-recognition. ..
- Wright D, Marchal C, Hoang K, Ankney J, Nguyen S, Rushing A, et al. Human T-cell leukemia virus type-1-encoded protein HBZ represses p53 function by inhibiting the acetyltransferase activity of p300/CBP and HBO1. Oncotarget. 2016;7:1687-706 pubmed publisher..This mechanism may explain how p53 activity is restricted in ATL cells that do not express Tax due to modifications of the HTLV-1 provirus, which accounts for a majority of patient samples. ..
- Yamaguchi Y, Kurokawa M, Imai Y, Izutsu K, Asai T, Ichikawa M, et al. AML1 is functionally regulated through p300-mediated acetylation on specific lysine residues. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:15630-8 pubmed..Taken together, these data indicate that acetylation of AML1 through p300 is a critical manner of posttranslational modification and identify a novel mechanism for regulating the function of AML1. ..
- Rajamohan S, Pillai V, Gupta M, Sundaresan N, Birukov K, Samant S, et al. SIRT1 promotes cell survival under stress by deacetylation-dependent deactivation of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase 1. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:4116-29 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that the activity of PARP1 is under the control of SIRT1, which is necessary for survival of cells under stress conditions. ..
- Zhai N, Zhao Z, Cheng M, Di Y, Yan H, Cao C, et al. Human PIH1 associates with histone H4 to mediate the glucose-dependent enhancement of pre-rRNA synthesis. J Mol Cell Biol. 2012;4:231-41 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that human PIH1 domain-containing protein 1 (PIH1) interacts directly with histone H4 and recruits the Brg1-SWI/SNF complex via SNF5 to human rRNA genes...
- Hartman H, Yu J, Alenghat T, Ishizuka T, Lazar M. The histone-binding code of nuclear receptor co-repressors matches the substrate specificity of histone deacetylase 3. EMBO Rep. 2005;6:445-51 pubmed..The match between the specificity of acetyl-histone deacetylation by HDAC3 and the histone-binding preference of N-CoR/SMRT allows the co-repressor complex to stabilize and propagate repression of nuclear hormone receptor gene targets. ..
- Charlop Powers Z, Zeng L, Zhang Q, Zhou M. Structural insights into selective histone H3 recognition by the human Polybromo bromodomain 2. Cell Res. 2010;20:529-38 pubmed publisher..We further describe the molecular basis of the selective H3K14ac recognition of bromodomain 2 by solving the protein structures in both the free and bound forms using X-ray crystallography and NMR, respectively. ..
- Zippo A, Serafini R, Rocchigiani M, Pennacchini S, Krepelova A, Oliviero S. Histone crosstalk between H3S10ph and H4K16ac generates a histone code that mediates transcription elongation. Cell. 2009;138:1122-36 pubmed publisher..the phosphorylated nucleosome and recruits the histone acetyltransferase MOF, which triggers the acetylation of histone H4 at lysine 16 (H4K16ac)...
- Matsugaki T, Shiba N, Kohno S, Nikawa T, Hirasaka K, Okumura Y, et al. "Hybrid exercise" prevents muscle atrophy in association with a distinct gene expression pattern. Kurume Med J. 2011;57:101-8 pubmed..The expression of signal transduction-, transcription- and cytoskeleton-related genes may play an important role in muscle bulk increasing mechanisms in hybrid exercise. ..
- Yuan W, Lee Y, Huang S, Lin Y, Chen T, Chung H, et al. A Cullin3-KLHL20 Ubiquitin ligase-dependent pathway targets PML to potentiate HIF-1 signaling and prostate cancer progression. Cancer Cell. 2011;20:214-28 pubmed publisher..Our study indicates that the KLHL20-mediated PML degradation and HIF-1? autoregulation play key roles in tumor progression. ..
- Bönisch C, Schneider K, Pünzeler S, Wiedemann S, Bielmeier C, Bocola M, et al. H2A.Z.2.2 is an alternatively spliced histone H2A.Z variant that causes severe nucleosome destabilization. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:5951-64 pubmed..Our findings enrich the list of known human variants by an unusual protein belonging to the H2A.Z family that leads to the least stable nucleosome known to date. ..
- Shi J, Wang Y, Zeng L, Wu Y, Deng J, Zhang Q, et al. Disrupting the interaction of BRD4 with diacetylated Twist suppresses tumorigenesis in basal-like breast cancer. Cancer Cell. 2014;25:210-25 pubmed publisher..Twist contains a "histone H4-mimic" GK-X-GK motif that is diacetylated by Tip60...
- Du C, Huang D, Peng Y, Yao Y, Zhao Y, Yang Y, et al. 5-Fluorouracil targets histone acetyltransferases p300/CBP in the treatment of colorectal cancer. Cancer Lett. 2017;400:183-193 pubmed publisher..These results elucidate a novel pharmacological effect of 5-FU involving global histone de-acetylation by promoting the degradation of p300/CBP, and highlights p300 and CBP as promising predictors of chemo-sensitivity to 5-FU treatment. ..
- Kim M, Hsiao S, Kraus W. A role for coactivators and histone acetylation in estrogen receptor alpha-mediated transcription initiation. EMBO J. 2001;20:6084-94 pubmed..Together, our results indicate a specific role for the SRC and p300/CBP coactivators, as well as targeted histone acetylation, in ERalpha-mediated transcription. ..
- Pasheva E, Sarov M, Bidjekov K, Ugrinova I, Sarg B, Lindner H, et al. In vitro acetylation of HMGB-1 and -2 proteins by CBP: the role of the acidic tail. Biochemistry. 2004;43:2935-40 pubmed..The alterations in the acetylation pattern of HMGB-1 and -2 upon removal of the C-terminal tail are regarded as a means by which the acidic domain modulates some properties of these proteins. ..
- Ko S, Lee I, Kim J, Kim S, Kim D, Lee K, et al. Regulation of histone acetyltransferase activity of p300 and PCAF by proto-oncogene protein DEK. FEBS Lett. 2006;580:3217-22 pubmed..Collectively, our data illustrate the important regulatory role played by protein DEK in transcriptional regulation, and suggest that transcription-regulating acidic domain regions may play a role in leukemogenesis. ..
- Fu M, Wang C, Rao M, Wu X, Bouras T, Zhang X, et al. Cyclin D1 represses p300 transactivation through a cyclin-dependent kinase-independent mechanism. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:29728-42 pubmed..Together, our results suggest that cyclin D1 plays an important role in cellular proliferation and differentiation through regulation of p300. ..