Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: HIST1H2AB
Description: histone cluster 1 H2A family member b
Alias: H2A/m, H2AFM, histone H2A type 1-B/E, H2A histone family, member M, histone 1, H2ab, histone H2A/m, histone cluster 1, H2ab
- Zhang Y, Griffin K, Mondal N, Parvin J. Phosphorylation of histone H2A inhibits transcription on chromatin templates. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:21866-72 pubmed..These results suggest that acetylation of histones may stimulate transcription by suppressing an inhibitory phosphorylation by a kinase as MSK1. ..
- Aihara H, Nakagawa T, Yasui K, Ohta T, Hirose S, Dhomae N, et al. Nucleosomal histone kinase-1 phosphorylates H2A Thr 119 during mitosis in the early Drosophila embryo. Genes Dev. 2004;18:877-88 pubmed..These studies reveal that NHK-1-catalyzed phosphorylation of a conserved serine/threonine residue in H2A is a new component of the histone code that might be related to cell cycle progression. ..
- Abdouh M, Hanna R, El Hajjar J, Flamier A, Bernier G. The Polycomb Repressive Complex 1 Protein BMI1 Is Required for Constitutive Heterochromatin Formation and Silencing in Mammalian Somatic Cells. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:182-97 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest a dynamic and developmentally regulated model of PRC1 occupancy at constitutive heterochromatin, and where BMI1 function in somatic cells is to stabilize the repetitive genome. ..
- Kalb R, Mallery D, Larkin C, Huang J, Hiom K. BRCA1 is a histone-H2A-specific ubiquitin ligase. Cell Rep. 2014;8:999-1005 pubmed publisher..Our data establish BRCA1/BARD1 as a histone-H2A-specific E3 ligase, helping to explain its localization and activities on chromatin in cells. ..
- Cao R, Tsukada Y, Zhang Y. Role of Bmi-1 and Ring1A in H2A ubiquitylation and Hox gene silencing. Mol Cell. 2005;20:845-54 pubmed..Our results suggest that EZH2-mediated H3-K27 methylation functions upstream of PRC1 and establishes a critical role for Bmi-1 and Ring1A in H2A ubiquitylation and Hox gene silencing. ..
- Delvecchio M, Gaucher J, Aguilar Gurrieri C, Ortega E, Panne D. Structure of the p300 catalytic core and implications for chromatin targeting and HAT regulation. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2013;20:1040-6 pubmed publisher..The structure provides a starting point for understanding how chromatin-substrate targeting and HAT regulation are coupled and why mutations in the p300 core lead to dysregulation. ..
- Wang H, Wang L, Erdjument Bromage H, Vidal M, Tempst P, Jones R, et al. Role of histone H2A ubiquitination in Polycomb silencing. Nature. 2004;431:873-8 pubmed..Thus, our studies identify the H2A ubiquitin ligase, and link H2A ubiquitination to Polycomb silencing. ..
- Tropberger P, Pott S, Keller C, Kamieniarz Gdula K, Caron M, Richter F, et al. Regulation of transcription through acetylation of H3K122 on the lateral surface of the histone octamer. Cell. 2013;152:859-72 pubmed publisher..Collectively, this suggests that transcriptional regulators elicit their effects not only via signaling to histone tails but also via direct structural perturbation of nucleosomes by directing acetylation to their lateral surface. ..
- Kalkhoven E, Teunissen H, Houweling A, Verrijzer C, Zantema A. The PHD type zinc finger is an integral part of the CBP acetyltransferase domain. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:1961-70 pubmed..Taken together, our results indicate that the PHD finger forms an integral part of the enzymatic core of the HAT domain of CBP. ..
- Citterio E, Van Den Boom V, Schnitzler G, Kanaar R, Bonte E, Kingston R, et al. ATP-dependent chromatin remodeling by the Cockayne syndrome B DNA repair-transcription-coupling factor. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:7643-53 pubmed..CSB is the first repair protein found to play a direct role in modulating nucleosome structure. The relevance of this finding to the interplay between transcription and repair is discussed. ..
- Lacoste N, Woolfe A, Tachiwana H, Garea A, Barth T, Cantaloube S, et al. Mislocalization of the centromeric histone variant CenH3/CENP-A in human cells depends on the chaperone DAXX. Mol Cell. 2014;53:631-44 pubmed publisher..Our findings illustrate how changes in histone variant levels can disrupt chromatin dynamics and suggests a possible mechanism for cell resistance to anticancer treatments. ..
- Cheng I, Chen B, Shuai H, Chien F, Chen P, Hsieh T. Wuho Is a New Member in Maintaining Genome Stability through its Interaction with Flap Endonuclease 1. PLoS Biol. 2016;14:e1002349 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that wh is a new member of the guardians of genome stability because it regulates FEN1's potential DNA cleavage threat near the site of replication. ..
- Zhou W, Zhu P, Wang J, Pascual G, Ohgi K, Lozach J, et al. Histone H2A monoubiquitination represses transcription by inhibiting RNA polymerase II transcriptional elongation. Mol Cell. 2008;29:69-80 pubmed publisher..We suggest that distinct H2A ubiquitinases, each recruited based on interactions with different corepressor complexes, contribute to distinct transcriptional repression programs. ..
- Citterio E, Papait R, Nicassio F, Vecchi M, Gomiero P, Mantovani R, et al. Np95 is a histone-binding protein endowed with ubiquitin ligase activity. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:2526-35 pubmed..Thus, the demonstration that Np95 is a chromatin-associated ubiquitin ligase suggests possible molecular mechanisms for its action as a cell cycle regulator. ..
- Ji A, Dao D, Chen J, MacLellan W. EID-2, a novel member of the EID family of p300-binding proteins inhibits transactivation by MyoD. Gene. 2003;318:35-43 pubmed..These data suggest that EID-1 and -2 represent a novel family of proteins that negatively regulate differentiation through a p300-dependent mechanism. ..
- Sarma K, Cifuentes Rojas C, Ergun A, Del Rosario A, Jeon Y, White F, et al. ATRX directs binding of PRC2 to Xist RNA and Polycomb targets. Cell. 2014;159:869-83 pubmed publisher..Thus, ATRX is a required specificity determinant for PRC2 targeting and function. ..
- Leung J, Ghosal G, Wang W, Shen X, Wang J, Li L, et al. Alpha thalassemia/mental retardation syndrome X-linked gene product ATRX is required for proper replication restart and cellular resistance to replication stress. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:6342-50 pubmed publisher..In addition, we identified ATRX as a binding partner of MRE11-RAD50-NBS1 (MRN) complex. Together, these results suggest a non-canonical function of ATRX in guarding genomic stability. ..
- Daou S, Hammond Martel I, Mashtalir N, Barbour H, Gagnon J, Iannantuono N, et al. The BAP1/ASXL2 Histone H2A Deubiquitinase Complex Regulates Cell Proliferation and Is Disrupted in Cancer. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:28643-63 pubmed publisher..Thus, inactivation of the BAP1/ASXL2 axis might contribute to cancer development. ..
- Tachiwana H, Kagawa W, Shiga T, Osakabe A, Miya Y, Saito K, et al. Crystal structure of the human centromeric nucleosome containing CENP-A. Nature. 2011;476:232-5 pubmed publisher..The structure provides the first atomic-resolution picture of the centromere-specific nucleosome. ..
- McGinty R, Henrici R, Tan S. Crystal structure of the PRC1 ubiquitylation module bound to the nucleosome. Nature. 2014;514:591-6 pubmed publisher..Our structure further reveals an unexpected role for the ubiquitin E2 enzyme in substrate recognition, and provides insight into how the related histone H2A E3 ligase, BRCA1, interacts with and ubiquitylates the nucleosome. ..
- Avvakumov N, Torchia J, Mymryk J. Interaction of the HPV E7 proteins with the pCAF acetyltransferase. Oncogene. 2003;22:3833-41 pubmed..Our analysis of the interaction between the pCAF acetyltransferase and E7 provides new insight into the mechanisms by which the E7 oncoproteins can alter cellular gene expression and growth. ..
- Sharma N, Zhu Q, Wani G, He J, Wang Q, Wani A. USP3 counteracts RNF168 via deubiquitinating H2A and ?H2AX at lysine 13 and 15. Cell Cycle. 2014;13:106-14 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the results suggested that USP3 is a negative regulator of ubiquitination signaling, counteracting RNF168- and RNF8-mediated ubiquitination. ..
- Nicassio F, Corrado N, Vissers J, Areces L, Bergink S, Marteijn J, et al. Human USP3 is a chromatin modifier required for S phase progression and genome stability. Curr Biol. 2007;17:1972-7 pubmed..Together, our results implicate USP3 as a novel chromatin modifier in the maintenance of genome integrity. ..
- Chen M, Gutierrez G, Ronai Z. The anaphase-promoting complex or cyclosome supports cell survival in response to endoplasmic reticulum stress. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e35520 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify APC/C(Cdh1) as a regulator of cell cycle checkpoint and cell survival in response to proteotoxic insults. ..
- Hagiwara T, Hidaka Y, Yamada M. Deimination of histone H2A and H4 at arginine 3 in HL-60 granulocytes. Biochemistry. 2005;44:5827-34 pubmed..These results suggest that PADI4 deiminates only a restricted site of target proteins in cells. Deimination of histones is discussed in relation to chromatin structure and function. ..
- Zhong R, Roeder R, Heintz N. The primary structure and expression of four cloned human histone genes. Nucleic Acids Res. 1983;11:7409-25 pubmed..Finally, in contrast to the H2b, H3 and H4 mRNAs encoded within clones pHh 4A/pHh4C, pHh5B and pHu4A, respectively, the H2a mRNA encoded by Hh5G is not present in human placental RNA. ..
- Sato K, Ishiai M, Toda K, Furukoshi S, Osakabe A, Tachiwana H, et al. Histone chaperone activity of Fanconi anemia proteins, FANCD2 and FANCI, is required for DNA crosslink repair. EMBO J. 2012;31:3524-36 pubmed publisher..Although FANCI by itself lacked nucleosome-assembly activity, it significantly stimulated FANCD2-mediated nucleosome assembly. These observations suggest that FANCD2-FANCI may regulate chromatin dynamics during DNA repair. ..
- Ruddy D, Kronmal G, Lee V, Mintier G, Quintana L, Domingo R, et al. A 1.1-Mb transcript map of the hereditary hemochromatosis locus. Genome Res. 1997;7:441-56 pubmed..1-Mb region may be derived from noncoding genomic DNA. ..
- Xu Y, Yang H, Joo H, Yu J, Smith A, Schneider D, et al. Ubp-M serine 552 phosphorylation by cyclin-dependent kinase 1 regulates cell cycle progression. Cell Cycle. 2013;12:3219-27 pubmed publisher..Therefore, these studies confirm that Ubp-M is phosphorylated at S552 and identify CDK1 as the enzyme responsible for the phosphorylation. Importantly, this study specifically links Ubp-M S552P to cell cycle G 2/M phase progression. ..
- Yamaguchi Y, Kurokawa M, Imai Y, Izutsu K, Asai T, Ichikawa M, et al. AML1 is functionally regulated through p300-mediated acetylation on specific lysine residues. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:15630-8 pubmed..Taken together, these data indicate that acetylation of AML1 through p300 is a critical manner of posttranslational modification and identify a novel mechanism for regulating the function of AML1. ..
- An W, Palhan V, Karymov M, Leuba S, Roeder R. Selective requirements for histone H3 and H4 N termini in p300-dependent transcriptional activation from chromatin. Mol Cell. 2002;9:811-21 pubmed
- Shuaib M, Ouararhni K, Dimitrov S, Hamiche A. HJURP binds CENP-A via a highly conserved N-terminal domain and mediates its deposition at centromeres. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:1349-54 pubmed publisher..Our data identified HJURP as a vertebrate CENP-A chaperone and dissected its mode of interactions with CENP-A. ..