Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: HAMP
Description: hepcidin antimicrobial peptide
Alias: HEPC, HFE2B, LEAP1, PLTR, hepcidin, liver-expressed antimicrobial peptide 1
Publications231 found, 100 shown here
- IL-6 - STAT-3 - hepcidin: linking inflammation to the iron metabolismIrina Stoian
Department of Biochemistry, Carol Davila, Faculty of Medicine, University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Bucharest, Romania
Rom J Intern Med 45:305-9. 2007Recently discovered peptide hormone hepcidin is the key regulator of systemic iron homeostasis. Iron metabolism is regulated in response to variations in hepcidin plasma levels...
- [Role of iron metabolism-regulator hepcidin in perinatal iron homeostasis]Adam Balogh
Semmelweis Egyetem, Általános Orvostudományi Kar, I Gyermekgyógyászati Klinika, Budapest
Orv Hetil 151:83-91. 2010b>Hepcidin is a recently recognized defensin-like peptide, which is considered to be the central regulator of iron metabolism. Hepcidin decreases the expression of iron transporting molecules...
- Biological effects of mutant ceruloplasmin on hepcidin-mediated internalization of ferroportinSatoshi Kono
First Department of Medicine, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Hamamatsu, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1802:968-75. 2010..Ferroportin is posttranslationally regulated through internalization triggered by hepcidin binding...
- Serum hepcidin and macrophage iron correlate with MCP-1 release and vascular damage in patients with metabolic syndrome alterationsLuca Valenti
Centro Malattie Metaboliche del Fegato, Department of Internal Medicine, Universita degli Studi, Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico Ca Granda IRCCS, Milano, Via F Sforza 35, 20122 Milano, Italy
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 31:683-90. 2011Increased body iron stores and hepcidin have been hypothesized to promote atherosclerosis by inducing macrophage iron accumulation and release of cytokines, but direct demonstration in human cells is lacking...
- Hepcidin and iron regulation, 10 years laterTomas Ganz
Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Blood 117:4425-33. 2011..The iron-regulatory hormone hepcidin, first described 10 years ago, and its receptor and iron channel ferroportin control the dietary absorption, ..
- Hepcidin and iron-related gene expression in subjects with Dysmetabolic Hepatic Iron OverloadDonatella Barisani
Department of Experimental Medicine, University of Milano Bicocca, Via Cadore 48, Monza 20052, Milan, Italy
J Hepatol 49:123-33. 2008..Since the pathophysiology of Dysmetabolic Hepatic Iron Overload (DHIO) is still obscure, the aim of this study was to evaluate, in these patients, possible alterations in iron-related molecule expression...
- Divalent metal-dependent regulation of hepcidin expression by MTF-1Sara Balesaria
Department of Structural and Molecular Biology, Division of Biosciences, University College London, London, United Kingdom
FEBS Lett 584:719-25. 2010b>Hepcidin is a small acute phase peptide that regulates iron absorption. It is induced by inflammation and infection, but is repressed by anaemia and hypoxia...
- Hepcidin inhibits apical iron uptake in intestinal cellsNatalia P Mena
Departamento de Biologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Chile, Las Palmeras 3425, Santiago, Chile
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 294:G192-8. 2008b>Hepcidin (Hepc) is considered a key mediator in iron trafficking. Although the mechanism of Hepc action in macrophages is fairly well established, much less is known about its action in intestinal cells, one of the main targets of Hepc...
- Elevated systemic hepcidin and iron depletion in obese premenopausal femalesLisa M Tussing-Humphreys
Department of Kinesiology and Nutrition, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 18:1449-56. 2010b>Hepcidin, the body's main regulator of systemic iron homeostasis, is upregulated in response to inflammation and is thought to play a role in the manifestation of iron deficiency (ID) observed in obese populations...
- Hepcidin, an acute-phase protein and a marker of inflammation in kidney transplant recipients with and without coronary artery diseaseJ Malyszko
Department of Nephrology and Transplantology, Bialystok Medical University, Bialystok, Poland
Transplant Proc 38:2895-8. 2006..Iron metabolism is disturbed in chronic inflammatory diseases such as atherosclerosis. Hepcidin, the liver-expressed antimicrobial peptide, LEAP-1, is an acute-phase reactant produced in the liver that ..
- Hepcidin, a urinary antimicrobial peptide synthesized in the liverC H Park
Departments of Medicine and Pathology, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90059, USA
J Biol Chem 276:7806-10. 2001..we characterized a cysteine-rich peptide with three forms differing by amino-terminal truncation, and we named it hepcidin (Hepc) because of its origin in the liver and its antimicrobial properties...
- A new mouse liver-specific gene, encoding a protein homologous to human antimicrobial peptide hepcidin, is overexpressed during iron overloadC Pigeon
INSERM U522, CHRU Pontchaillou, Rennes, France
J Biol Chem 276:7811-9. 2001..an 83-amino acid protein presenting a strong homology in its C-terminal region to the human antimicrobial peptide hepcidin. In addition, we cloned the corresponding rat and human orthologue cDNAs...
- Inappropriate expression of hepcidin is associated with iron refractory anemia: implications for the anemia of chronic diseaseDavid A Weinstein
Children s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Blood 100:3776-81. 2002..role of the adenomas in the pathogenesis of the anemia and found that they produce inappropriately high levels of hepcidin mRNA. Hepcidin is a peptide hormone that has been implicated in controlling the release of iron from cells...
- Hepcidin in iron overload disordersGeorge Papanikolaou
First Department of Medicine, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece
Blood 105:4103-5. 2005b>Hepcidin is the principal regulator of iron absorption in humans. The peptide inhibits cellular iron efflux by binding to the iron export channel ferroportin and inducing its internalization and degradation...
- Alcohol metabolism-mediated oxidative stress down-regulates hepcidin transcription and leads to increased duodenal iron transporter expressionDuygu Dee Harrison-Findik
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska 68198 5820, USA
J Biol Chem 281:22974-82. 2006..b>Hepcidin, a circulatory peptide synthesized in the liver, is a key mediator of iron metabolism...
- Increased hepcidin expression in colorectal carcinogenesisDouglas G Ward
CRUK Institute for Cancer Studies, University of Birmingham, Vincent Drive, Birmingham B15 2TH, United Kingdom
World J Gastroenterol 14:1339-45. 2008To investigate whether the iron stores regulator hepcidin is implicated in colon cancer-associated anaemia and whether it might have a role in colorectal carcinogenesis.
- Serum hepcidin level and erythropoietic activity after hematopoietic stem cell transplantationJunya Kanda
Department of Hematology and Oncology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Haematologica 93:1550-4. 2008The relationship between serum hepcidin, a key regulator of body iron homeostasis, and erythropoiesis was investigated before and after stem cell transplantation in 31 patients with hematopoietic malignancies...
- Mass spectrometry-based proteomic analysis of urine in acute kidney injury following cardiopulmonary bypass: a nested case-control studyJulie Ho
Section of Nephrology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Am J Kidney Dis 53:584-95. 2009..The early evolution of acute kidney injury (AKI) in humans is difficult to study noninvasively. We hypothesized that urine proteomics could provide insight into the early pathophysiology of human AKI...
- Hepcidin regulation by innate immune and infectious stimuliAndrew E Armitage
Molecular Immunology Group, Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Blood 118:4129-39. 2011b>Hepcidin controls the levels and distribution of iron, an element whose availability can influence the outcome of infections...
- Resistance to hepcidin is conferred by hemochromatosis-associated mutations of ferroportinHal Drakesmith
Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, Oxford OX3 9DS, United Kingdom
Blood 106:1092-7. 2005..The peptide hormone hepcidin inhibits FPN as part of a homeostatic negative feedback loop...
- LEAP-1, a novel highly disulfide-bonded human peptide, exhibits antimicrobial activityA Krause
Niedersächsisches Institut für Peptid Forschung, Hannover, Germany
FEBS Lett 480:147-50. 2000..The discovery of LEAP-1 extends the known families of mammalian peptides with antimicrobial activity by its novel disulfide motif and distinct expression pattern...
- Hepcidin, a putative mediator of anemia of inflammation, is a type II acute-phase proteinElizabeta Nemeth
Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, and the West Los Angeles Veterans Administration Hospital, University of California, Los Angeles 90095, USA
Blood 101:2461-3. 2003b>Hepcidin is a liver-made peptide proposed to be a central regulator of intestinal iron absorption and iron recycling by macrophages...
- Mutant antimicrobial peptide hepcidin is associated with severe juvenile hemochromatosisAntonella Roetto
Department of Clinical and Biological Sciences, University of Torino, Azienda Ospedaliera San Luigi, 10043 Orbassano, Torino, Italy
Nat Genet 33:21-2. 2003Animal models indicate that the antimicrobial peptide hepcidin (HAMP; OMIM 606464) is probably a key regulator of iron absorption in mammals...
- Expression of hepcidin in hereditary hemochromatosis: evidence for a regulation in response to the serum transferrin saturation and to non-transferrin-bound ironSven G Gehrke
Department of Internal Medicine IV, University Hospital Heidelberg, Bergheimer Strasse 58, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany
Blood 102:371-6. 2003Experimental data suggest the antimicrobial peptide hepcidin as a central regulator in iron homeostasis...
- Hepcidin, a key regulator of iron metabolism and mediator of anemia of inflammationTomas Ganz
Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, 10833 Le Conte Ave, CHS 37 055, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1690, USA
Blood 102:783-8. 2003Human hepcidin, a 25-amino acid peptide made by hepatocytes, may be a new mediator of innate immunity and the long-sought iron-regulatory hormone. The synthesis of hepcidin is greatly stimulated by inflammation or by iron overload...
- Digenic inheritance of mutations in HAMP and HFE results in different types of haemochromatosisAlison T Merryweather-Clarke
MRC Molecular Haematology Unit, Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, Headley Way, Oxford OX3 9DS, UK
Hum Mol Genet 12:2241-7. 2003..of C282Y heterozygotes and homozygotes may be modified by heterozygosity for mutations which disrupt the function of hepcidin in iron homeostasis, with the severity of iron overload corresponding to the severity of the HAMP mutation.
- HAMP as a modifier gene that increases the phenotypic expression of the HFE pC282Y homozygous genotypeSandrine Jacolot
INSERM, EMI 0115, Brest, France
Blood 103:2835-40. 2004..The non-HFE hereditary hemochromatosis forms include a juvenile onset form associated with mutations in HAMP. From a cohort of 392 C282Y homozygous patients, we found 5 carriers of an additional HAMP mutation at the ..
- IL-6 mediates hypoferremia of inflammation by inducing the synthesis of the iron regulatory hormone hepcidinElizabeta Nemeth
Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles UCLA, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Clin Invest 113:1271-6. 2004..In mouse models, the development of hypoferremia during inflammation requires hepcidin, an iron regulatory peptide hormone produced in the liver, but the inflammatory signals that regulate hepcidin ..
- Hepcidin regulates cellular iron efflux by binding to ferroportin and inducing its internalizationElizabeta Nemeth
Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Science 306:2090-3. 2004b>Hepcidin is a peptide hormone secreted by the liver in response to iron loading and inflammation. Decreased hepcidin leads to tissue iron overload, whereas hepcidin overproduction leads to hypoferremia and the anemia of inflammation...
- Anemia of inflammation: the hepcidin linkCindy N Roy
Children s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Curr Opin Hematol 12:107-11. 2005..Recently hepcidin antimicrobial peptide has emerged as the hormone that links the type II acute phase response to iron handling and ..
- Hepcidin and iron-loading anemiasElizabeta Nemeth
Haematologica 91:727-32. 2006
- Interleukin-6 induces hepcidin expression through STAT3Diedra M Wrighting
Graduate Program in Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Harvard University, Boston, MA, USA
Blood 108:3204-9. 2006Iron homeostasis is maintained through meticulous regulation of circulating hepcidin levels. Hepcidin levels that are inappropriately low or high result in iron overload or iron deficiency, respectively...
- STAT3 mediates hepatic hepcidin expression and its inflammatory stimulationMaria Vittoria Verga Falzacappa
Molecular Medicine Partnership Unit, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Blood 109:353-8. 2007b>Hepcidin is a key iron-regulatory hormone produced by the liver...
- Increased adipose tissue expression of hepcidin in severe obesity is independent from diabetes and NASHSoumeya Bekri
Laboratoire d Hépato Gastroentérologie, EA1186, Faculté Médecine de Nice, Nice, France
Gastroenterology 131:788-96. 2006b>Hepcidin is an acute-phase response peptide. We have investigated the possible involvement of hepcidin in massive obesity, a state of chronic low-grade inflammation...
- Hepcidin is down-regulated in alcohol loadingTakaaki Ohtake
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Asahikawa Medical College, Asahikawa 078 8510, Japan
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 31:S2-8. 2007..However, the mechanism of hepatic iron uptake in ALD is still obscure. Recently, a novel iron-regulatory hormone hepcidin was found that suppresses the absorption of iron from the small intestine and the release of iron from ..
- High levels of GDF15 in thalassemia suppress expression of the iron regulatory protein hepcidinToshihiko Tanno
Molecular Medicine Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, 10 Center Drive, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nat Med 13:1096-101. 2007..in the absence of blood transfusions may result from inappropriate suppression of the iron-regulating peptide hepcidin by an erythropoietic mechanism...
- Elevated basal hepcidin levels in the liver may inhibit the development of malaria infection: another piece towards solving the malaria puzzle?Albert Oliveras-Vergés
Department of Signal Theory and Communications, Technical University of Catalonia UPC, Jordi Girona 1 3, 08034 Barcelona, Spain
Med Hypotheses 70:630-4. 2008..IL-6 controls systemic iron homeostasis through hepcidin, which is produced mainly by hepatocytes...
- Posttranslational processing of hepcidin in human hepatocytes is mediated by the prohormone convertase furinErika V Valore
Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1690, USA
Blood Cells Mol Dis 40:132-8. 2008b>Hepcidin is encoded as an 84 amino acid prepropeptide containing a typical N-terminal 24 amino acid endoplasmic reticulum targeting signal sequence, and a 35 amino acid proregion (pro) with a consensus furin cleavage site immediately ..
- Leptin increases the expression of the iron regulatory hormone hepcidin in HuH7 human hepatoma cellsBomee Chung
Nutritional Sciences Division, King s College London, London SE1 9NH, UK
J Nutr 137:2366-70. 2007..of chronic disease via its stimulatory actions on the production and release of the iron regulatory hormone hepcidin. To test this hypothesis, we exposed HuH7 human hepatoma cells to leptin and measured hepcidin mRNA expression by ..
- Regulation of hepcidin: insights from biochemical analyses on human serum samplesErwin H J M Kemna
Department of Clinical Chemistry 441, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, P O Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Blood Cells Mol Dis 40:339-46. 2008Knowledge of hepcidin regulation is foremost gained by in vitro studies. We aimed to translate this knowledge into the human in vivo situation...
- A bone morphogenetic protein (BMP)-responsive element in the hepcidin promoter controls HFE2-mediated hepatic hepcidin expression and its response to IL-6 in cultured cellsMaria Vittoria Verga Falzacappa
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology and Immunology, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 153, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Mol Med (Berl) 86:531-40. 2008The precise regulation of the iron-regulatory hormone hepcidin is essential to maintain body iron homeostasis: Hepcidin deficiency induces iron overload, and hepcidin excess results in anaemia...
- Expression of hepcidin mRNA is uniformly suppressed in hepatocellular carcinomaHiroaki Kijima
Second Department of Surgery, Dokkyo University School of Medicine, Kitakobayashi 880, Mibu, Shimotsuga, Tochigi 321 0293, Japan
BMC Cancer 8:167. 2008The present study evaluated the expression of hepcidin mRNA in hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC).
- Hepatitis C virus-induced oxidative stress suppresses hepcidin expression through increased histone deacetylase activityKouichi Miura
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Hepatology 48:1420-9. 2008..However, the mechanism by which hepatitis C virus (HCV) regulates iron metabolism is poorly understood. Hepcidin plays a pivotal role as a negative regulator of iron absorption...
- Assessment of urinary concentrations of hepcidin provides novel insight into disturbances in iron homeostasis during malarial infectionQuirijn de Mast
Department of General Internal Medicine, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Infect Dis 199:253-62. 2009..explanation for observed alterations in iron distribution, we studied the course of the iron regulatory hormone hepcidin in anemic Tanzanian children with febrile Plasmodium falciparum malaria...
- Investigation of the biophysical and cell biological properties of ferroportin, a multipass integral membrane protein iron exporterAdrian E Rice
Graduate Option in Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
J Mol Biol 386:717-32. 2009..Ferroportin-mediated iron export is controlled by the hormone hepcidin, which binds ferroportin, causing its internalization and degradation...
- Iron in innate immunity: starve the invadersTomas Ganz
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1690, United States
Curr Opin Immunol 21:63-7. 2009..Specialized inflammation-regulated proteins chelate iron, trap siderophores, and transport iron or modulate its transport to alter its tissue distribution during infections...
- BMP6 is a key endogenous regulator of hepcidin expression and iron metabolismBilly Andriopoulos
Program in Membrane Biology, Division of Nephrology, Center for Systems Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Nat Genet 41:482-7. 2009..is an iron-overload disorder caused by mutations in the genes encoding the major iron regulatory hormone hepcidin (HAMP) and hemojuvelin (HFE2)...
- Interaction of the hereditary hemochromatosis protein HFE with transferrin receptor 2 is required for transferrin-induced hepcidin expressionJunwei Gao
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Cell Metab 9:217-27. 2009..They have lower levels of hepcidin than unaffected individuals...
- Identification of TWSG1 as a second novel erythroid regulator of hepcidin expression in murine and human cellsToshihiko Tanno
Molecular Medicine Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases NIDDK, National Institutes of Health NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Blood 114:181-6. 2009..molecules are thought to cause inappropriate suppression of a small peptide produced by hepatocytes named hepcidin. Previously, it was reported that the erythrokine GDF15 is expressed at very high levels in thalassemia and ..
- Activation and inactivation of the iron hormone hepcidin: Biochemical characterization of prohepcidin cleavage and sequential degradation to N-terminally truncated hepcidin isoformsMelanie Schranz
Medical University of Innsbruck, Department of Medicine II Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Austria
Blood Cells Mol Dis 43:169-79. 2009The hormone hepcidin is produced mainly in the liver in response to iron loading and inflammation and secreted into the circulation as a 25-amino acid peptide...
- HFE mutations modulate the effect of iron on serum hepcidin-25 in chronic hemodialysis patientsLuca Valenti
Center for Metabolic and Liver Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Fondazione Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico MaRE IRCCS, Via F Sforza 35, 20122 Milano, Italy
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 4:1331-7. 2009Increased serum hepcidin has been reported in patients receiving chronic hemodialysis, and hypothesized to contribute to the alterations of iron metabolism of end-stage renal disease...
- Hepcidin revisited, disulfide connectivity, dynamics, and structureJohn B Jordan
Department of Molecular Structure, Amgen, Inc, Thousand Oaks, California 91320, USA
J Biol Chem 284:24155-67. 2009b>Hepcidin is a tightly folded 25-residue peptide hormone containing four disulfide bonds, which has been shown to act as the principal regulator of iron homeostasis in vertebrates...
- Cholestasis downregulate hepcidin expression through inhibiting IL-6-induced phosphorylation of signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 signalingYing Hsien Huang
Department of Pediatrics, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical Center, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, ROC
Lab Invest 89:1128-39. 2009b>Hepcidin is downregulated during progressive cholestasis in biliary atresia, but the mechanism is unknown...
- Hepcidin expression in adipose tissue increases during cardiac surgeryM Vokurka
Institute of Pathological Physiology, Center of Experimental Hematology, First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University in Prague, Prague, Czech Republic
Physiol Res 59:393-400. 2010b>Hepcidin, a key regulator of iron metabolism, plays a crucial role in the pathogenesis of anemia of chronic disease...
- Reduced serum hepcidin levels in patients with chronic hepatitis CDomenico Girelli
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Verona, Policlinico G B Rossi, Verona, Italy
J Hepatol 51:845-52. 2009..The hepatic hormone hepcidin is the major regulator of iron metabolism and inhibits iron absorption and recycling from erythrophagocytosis...
- Hepcidin in obese children as a potential mediator of the association between obesity and iron deficiencyEmanuele Miraglia del Giudice
Department of Pediatrics F Fede Seconda Università degli Studi di Napoli, Napoli, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:5102-7. 2009..Several studies found higher rates of iron deficiency in obese than in normal-weight children. Hepcidin represents the main inhibitor of intestinal iron absorption, and its expression is increased in adipose tissue of ..
- The role of hepcidin in iron metabolismElizabeta Nemeth
David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Acta Haematol 122:78-86. 2009b>Hepcidin is the central regulator of systemic iron homeostasis. Dysregulation of hepcidin production results in a variety of iron disorders...
- Reduction of serum hepcidin by hemodialysis in pediatric and adult patientsJoshua Zaritsky
Department of Pediatrics, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5:1010-4. 2010b>Hepcidin, the principal regulator of iron homeostasis, may play a critical role in the response of patients with anemia to iron and erythropoiesis-stimulating agent therapy; however, the contribution of hepcidin to iron maldistribution ..
- Testosterone suppresses hepcidin in men: a potential mechanism for testosterone-induced erythrocytosisEric Bachman
Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, 670 Albany Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:4743-7. 2010..The mechanisms by which testosterone increases hemoglobin and hematocrit are unknown...
- Hepcidin expression by human monocytes in response to adhesion and pro-inflammatory cytokinesXiaolan Zhang
Department of Internal Medicine, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1800:1262-7. 2010A previous urine proteomic analysis from our laboratory suggested that hepcidin may be a biomarker for lupus nephritis flare...
- Serum prohepcidin levels in chronic hepatitis C, alcoholic liver disease, and nonalcoholic fatty liver diseaseSang Hyub Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seongnam, Korea
Korean J Hepatol 16:288-94. 2010..Prohepcidin is an easily measurable precursor of hepcidin, which is a key regulator of iron homeostasis...
- The effect of carbohydrate ingestion on plasma interleukin-6, hepcidin and iron concentrations following prolonged exercisePaula Robson-Ansley
Department of Sport and Exercise Science, Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK
Cytokine 53:196-200. 2011The aim of our study was twofold, firstly to examine the relationship between plasma concentrations of IL-6, hepcidin and iron following prolonged exercise and secondly, to assess the effect of carbohydrate ingestion on circulating ..
- Hepcidin induces HIV-1 transcription inhibited by ferroportinMin Xu
Center for Sickle Cell Disease, Department of Medicine, Howard University, Washington, DC 20060, USA
Retrovirology 7:104. 2010..by the membrane protein, ferroportin, the expression of which is induced by iron and negatively modulated by hepcidin. We previously showed that iron chelation is associated with decreased HIV-1 transcription...
- Modulation of hepcidin production during hypoxia-induced erythropoiesis in humans in vivo: data from the HIGHCARE projectAlberto Piperno
Department of Clinical Medicine and Prevention, University of Milano Bicocca and S Gerardo Hospital, Monza, Italy
Blood 117:2953-9. 2011..in hematocrit, serum iron indices, erythropoietin, markers of erythropoietic activity, interleukin-6, and serum hepcidin. Hepcidin decreased within 40 hours after acute hypoxia exposure (P < ...
- Role of decreased circulating hepcidin concentrations in the iron excess of women with the polycystic ovary syndromeManuel Luque-Ramírez
Department of Endocrinology, Hospital Universitario Ramon y Cajal and Universidad de Alcala, Carretera de Colmenar Viejo km 9 1, E 28034 Madrid, Spain
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:846-52. 2011b>Hepcidin inhibits the intestinal absorption of iron and its deficiency causes juvenile hemochromatosis.
- Hepcidin is an antibacterial, stress-inducible peptide of the biliary systemPavel Strnad
Department of Internal Medicine I, University Hospital Ulm, Ulm, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e16454. 2011b>Hepcidin (gene name HAMP), an IL-6-inducible acute phase peptide with antimicrobial properties, is the key negative regulator of iron metabolism...
- Modulation of hepatitis C virus replication by iron and hepcidin in Huh7 hepatocytesGiody Bartolomei
International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Trieste, Italy
J Gen Virol 92:2072-81. 2011..We also found that RNAi-mediated knockdown of the key Fe modulator hepcidin increased intracellular ferritin and inhibited HCV replication...
- Urinary hepcidin-25 and risk of acute kidney injury following cardiopulmonary bypassJulie Ho
Sections of Nephrology and Biomedical Proteomics, Health Sciences Centre, GE421C, 820 Sherbrooke Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba, MB R3A 1R9, Canada
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 6:2340-6. 2011..Urinary hepcidin-25 has been shown to be elevated in patients who do not develop AKI after CPB using semiquantitative mass ..
- Hepcidin is the major predictor of erythrocyte iron incorporation in anemic African childrenAndrew M Prentice
Medical Research Council International Nutrition Group, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
Blood 119:1922-8. 2012..We investigated how the iron-regulatory hormone hepcidin and other inflammatory/iron-related indices, all measured on the day of isotope administration, correlated with ..
- The effects of 8 weeks of endurance running on hepcidin concentrations, inflammatory parameters, and iron status in female runnersIrena Auersperger
Faculty of Sport, University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 22:55-63. 2012..The authors investigated the effects of long-term endurance exercise on hepcidin concentrations, inflammatory parameters, and iron status in moderately trained female long-distance runners...
- Ferroportin (SLC40A1) Q248H mutation is associated with lower circulating serum hepcidin levels in Rwandese HIV-positive womenFlorence Masaisa
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Ghent University, Belgium
Ann Hematol 91:911-6. 2012..This mutation has been associated with resistance to hepcidin and therefore we hypothesized that iron-related parameters and the prevalence of opportunistic infections in HIV ..
- Molecular mechanism of hepcidin-mediated ferroportin internalization requires ferroportin lysines, not tyrosines or JAK-STATSandra L Ross
Department of Oncology, Amgen Inc, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, USA
Cell Metab 15:905-17. 2012Ferroportin is the primary means of cellular iron efflux and a key component of iron metabolism. Hepcidin regulates Fpn activity by inducing its internalization and degradation...
- Hepcidin-induced endocytosis of ferroportin is dependent on ferroportin ubiquitinationBo Qiao
Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Cell Metab 15:918-24. 2012..The hormone hepcidin controls cellular iron export and plasma iron concentrations by binding to ferroportin and causing its ..
- Interleukin-6 and lipopolysaccharide modulate hepcidin mRNA expression by HepG2 cellsPía Villarroel
Micronutrient Laboratory, INTA, University of Chile, El Libano 5524, Macul, Santiago, Chile, 138 11
Biol Trace Elem Res 150:496-501. 2012Iron homeostasis is controlled by hepcidin (Hpc) as well as other ways. Hpc expression is regulated by iron (Fe) storage and by inflammation, but the joint effect of both stimuli remains unclear...
- Circulatory hepcidin is associated with the anti-inflammatory response but not with iron or anemic status in childhood malariaFlorence Burté
Division of Parasitology, Medical Research Council National Institute for Medical Research, London, UK
Blood 121:3016-22. 2013..Increased levels of hepcidin have been associated with UM, but its level and role in severe malarial disease remains to be investigated...
- Iron status and systemic inflammation, but not gut inflammation, strongly predict gender-specific concentrations of serum hepcidin in infants in rural KenyaTanja Jaeggi
Institute of Food, Nutrition and Health, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 8:e57513. 2013b>Hepcidin regulation by competing stimuli such as infection and iron deficiency has not been studied in infants and it's yet unknown whether hepcidin regulatory pathways are fully functional in infants...
- Cellular catabolism of the iron-regulatory peptide hormone hepcidinGloria Cuevas Preza
Department of Dermatology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e58934. 2013b>Hepcidin, a 25-amino acid peptide hormone, is the principal regulator of plasma iron concentrations...
- Serum hepcidin-20 is elevated during the acute phase of myocardial infarctionHiroshi Suzuki
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Showa University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Tohoku J Exp Med 218:93-8. 2009b>Hepcidin, a key iron-regulator secreted from the liver, consists of 25 amino acids (hepcidin-25), blocks iron release from macrophages via internalization and degradation of cellular iron exporter ferroportin, and restrains the use of ..
- Serum pro-hepcidin levels in rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosusSuleyman Serdar Koca
Department of Rheumatology, Faculty of Medicine, Firat University, Elazig, Turkey
Inflammation 31:146-53. 2008b>Hepcidin is a principal iron regulatory hormone and its expression is stimulated by cytokines...
- Association of hepcidin promoter c.-582 A>G variant and iron overload in thalassemia majorMarco Andreani
Laboratorio di Immunogenetica e Biologia dei Trapianti, Fondazione IME, Policlinico Tor Vergata, Viale Oxford 81, Rome, Italy
Haematologica 94:1293-6. 2009b>Hepcidin is a 25-amino acid peptide, derived from cleavage of an 84 amino acid pro-peptide produced predominantly by hepatocytes...
- Macrophage iron, hepcidin, and atherosclerotic plaque stabilityJerome L Sullivan
Department of Pathology, Immunology, and Laboratory Medicine, University of Florida, College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 232:1014-20. 2007b>Hepcidin has emerged as the key hormone in the regulation of iron balance and recycling. Elevated levels increase iron in macrophages and inhibit gastrointestinal iron uptake...
- Decreased serum hepcidin and improved functional iron status 6 months after restrictive bariatric surgeryLisa M Tussing-Humphreys
United States Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service, Southern Regional Research Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 18:2010-6. 2010..is thought to be mediated by an inflammation-induced increase in the body's main regulator of iron homeostasis, hepcidin. Elevated hepcidin can result in iron depletion as it prevents the release of dietary iron absorbed into the ..
- [The effect of tobacco smoking during pregnancy on concentration of pro-hepcidin and some parameters of iron metabolism in matched-maternal cord pairs]Magdalena Chełchowska
Zakład Badań Przesiewowych, Instytut Matki i Dziecka w Warszawie
Przegl Lek 65:474-8. 2008Iron deficiency relatively observed in pregnant women is assumed to be enhanced by cigarette smoking. Hepcidin, a peptide hormone produced by the liver as pro-hepcidin, has recently emerged as a central mediator of iron metabolism...
- Evidence for distinct pathways of hepcidin regulation by acute and chronic iron loading in miceEmilio Ramos
Chemistry and Biochemistry, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Hepatology 53:1333-41. 2011In response to iron loading, hepcidin synthesis is homeostatically increased to limit further absorption of dietary iron and its release from stores...
- The iron regulatory hormone hepcidin reduces ferroportin 1 content and iron release in H9C2 cardiomyocytesXiao Hu Ge
National Key Laboratory of Chinese Medicine and Molecular Pharmacology Shenzhen and Laboratory of Brain Iron Metabolism, Department of Applied Biology and Chemical Technology, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
J Nutr Biochem 20:860-5. 2009..The presence of hepcidin, a recently discovered iron regulatory hormone, was also confirmed in the heart recently...
- [Molecular mechanisms of iron homeostasis]Carole Beaumont
INSERM U 409, Faculte de Medecine Xavier Bichat, BP 416, 16, rue Henri Huchard, 75870 Paris 18, France
Med Sci (Paris) 20:68-72. 2004..hephaestin or ceruloplasmin) or ferri-reductase (Dcytb) activity or regulatory proteins like HFE and hepcidin. Furthermore, a new transferrin receptor has been identified, mostly expressed in the liver, and the ability of ..
- Severe iron deficiency anemia in transgenic mice expressing liver hepcidinGael Nicolas
Département de génétique, Developpement et Pathologie Moleculaire, Institut Cochin, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, et Université René Descartes, Faculté de Médecine Cochin Port Royal, 75014 Paris, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:4596-601. 2002..trait could be attributed to the absence, in the Usf2 knockout mice, of a secreted liver-specific peptide, hepcidin. We conjectured that the reverse situation, namely overexpression of hepcidin, might result in phenotypic traits ..
- Measurement of urinary hepcidin levels by SELDI-TOF-MS in HFE-hemochromatosisClaudia Bozzini
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Verona, Policlinico G B Rossi, 37134 Verona, Italy
Blood Cells Mol Dis 40:347-52. 2008Insufficient production of hepcidin, the master regulator of iron metabolism, is recognized as the key pathogenetic feature of HFE-related hereditary hemochromatosis (HH)...
- Mass spectrometry measurement of plasma hepcidin for the prediction of iron overloadAnnarosa Floreani
Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Clin Chem Lab Med 49:197-206. 2011b>Hepcidin has emerged as the primary regulator of iron homeostasis. Previous studies on assessing urinary hepcidin are limited...
- Is serum hepcidin causative in hemochromatosis? Novel analysis from a liver transplant with hemochromatosisPaul C Adams
Department of Medicine, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario
Can J Gastroenterol 22:851-3. 2008b>Hepcidin is a circulating hepatic hormone that regulates iron balance. It has been speculated that hepcidin insufficiency or dysregulation may be the primary defect in genetic hemochromatosis.
- A time course of hepcidin response to iron challenge in patients with HFE and TFR2 hemochromatosisDomenico Girelli
Department of Medicine, University of Verona, Policlinico GB Rossi, 37134 Verona, Italy
Haematologica 96:500-6. 2011Inadequate hepcidin production leads to iron overload in nearly all types of hemochromatosis...
- Blunted hepcidin response to oral iron challenge in HFE-related hemochromatosisAlberto Piperno
Department of Clinical Medicine and Prevention, Milano Bicocca University, San Gerardo Hospital, Monza, Italy
Blood 110:4096-100. 2007Inadequate hepcidin synthesis leads to iron overload in HFE-related hemochromatosis...
- Bone morphogenetic protein signaling is impaired in an HFE knockout mouse model of hemochromatosisElena Corradini
Division of Nephrology, Center for Systems Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Gastroenterology 137:1489-97. 2009..Levels of the main iron regulatory hormone, hepcidin, are inappropriately low in hereditary hemochromatosis mouse models and patients with HFE mutations, indicating ..
- Defective bone morphogenic protein signaling underlies hepcidin deficiency in HFE hereditary hemochromatosisJohn D Ryan
Centre for Liver Disease, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Hepatology 52:1266-73. 2010..The vast majority of patients carry the missense Cys282Tyr mutation of the HFE gene. Hepcidin, the central regulator of iron homeostasis, is deficient in HH, leading to unchecked iron absorption and ..
- Hepcidin as a therapeutic tool to limit iron overload and improve anemia in β-thalassemic miceSara Gardenghi
Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York, USA
J Clin Invest 120:4466-77. 2010..Iron overload is associated with low levels of hepcidin, a peptide that regulates iron metabolism by triggering degradation of ferroportin, an iron-transport protein ..
- Lack of hepcidin gene expression and severe tissue iron overload in upstream stimulatory factor 2 (USF2) knockout miceG Nicolas
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale 129, Departement Genetique Developpement et Pathologie Moléculaire, Institut Cochin de Genetique Moleculaire, Faculté de Médecine Cochin Port Royal, 75014 Paris, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:8780-5. 2001..We isolated a cDNA encoding a peptide, hepcidin (also referred to as LEAP-1, for liver-expressed antimicrobial peptide), that was very recently purified from ..
- Iron transferrin regulates hepcidin synthesis in primary hepatocyte culture through hemojuvelin and BMP2/4Lan Lin
Departments of Pathology, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1690, USA
Blood 110:2182-9. 2007The peptide hormone hepcidin is the principal regulator of systemic iron homeostasis. We examined the pathway by which iron stimulates the production of hepcidin...
- Three different hepcidins from tilapia, Oreochromis mossambicus: analysis of their expressions and biological functionsPao Hsian Huang
Marine Research Station, Institute of Cellular and Organismic Biology, Academia Sinica, 23 10 Dahuen Road, Jiaushi, Ilan 262, Taiwan, ROC
Mol Immunol 44:1922-34. 2007..Through hybridization of a phage library, the cDNA sequences of three hepcidin-like antimicrobial peptides (named TH1-5, TH2-2, and TH2-3) in tilapia, Oreochromis mossambicus, were determined...
- Combined deletion of Hfe and transferrin receptor 2 in mice leads to marked dysregulation of hepcidin and iron overloadDaniel F Wallace
Membrane Transport Laboratory, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Hepatology 50:1992-2000. 2009b>Hepcidin is a central regulator of iron homeostasis. HFE and transferrin receptor 2 (TFR2) are mutated in adult-onset forms of hereditary hemochromatosis and regulate the expression of hepcidin in response to iron...
- Transferrin receptor 2 is crucial for iron sensing in human hepatocytesChiara Rapisarda
King s College London, UK
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 299:G778-83. 2010b>Hepcidin expression in vivo is regulated in proportion to iron status (i.e., increased by iron loading and decreased in iron deficiency)...
- Hepcidin Expression in the Anemia of Chronic DiseaseDavid Weinstein; Fiscal Year: 2007The pathogenesis of the anemia of chronic disease is not understood. A recently identified peptide, hepcidin, has been found to be aberrantly expressed in hepatic adenomas in GSD (GSD), resulting in an iron-resistant iron-deficiency ..
- Jodie L Babitt; Fiscal Year: 2016..pathway plays an important role in systemic iron balance by modulating expression of the iron regulatory hormone hepcidin. A soluble protein secreted by the liver, hepcidin acts by downregulating the cell- surface expression of the ..
- Donald A McClain; Fiscal Year: 2016..These include: (1) Glucose regulation of hepcidin, the main regulator of systemic iron absorption and disposition, and (2) variation of circadian metabolic ..
- Hemochromatosis - Epidemiology and Molecular MechanismsPauline L Lee; Fiscal Year: 2010..The major regulator of iron homeostasis is the 25 amino acid peptide hepcidin. Hemochromatosis caused by genetic mutations in HFE, TfR2 and HJV is due primarily to dysregulation of hepcidin ..
- BMP Signaling and Iron MetabolismJodie L Babitt; Fiscal Year: 2010..Although the function of HJV is unknown, hepcidin levels are depressed in persons with HJV mutations, suggesting that HJV positively regulates hepcidin expression...
- Herbert Y Lin; Fiscal Year: 2014..The master regulator of overall iron balance is hepcidin, a key hormone secreted by the liver in response to several stimuli including systemic iron levels...
- CAROLINE ENNS; Fiscal Year: 2016..It lowers iron uptake into the body, globally, by increasing the transcription of hepcidin, a hormone that negatively regulates iron efflux out of intestinal epithelial cells into the blood...
- CAROLINE ENNS; Fiscal Year: 2016..TfR2-HFE complex provides a sensing mechanism to detect iron-loaded Tf and thereby regulates the transcription of hepcidin, a peptide hormone that negatively regulates the efflux of iron out of intestinal cells and macrophages...
- Hepcidin-based screening for infantile iron deficiencyMark D Fleming; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposal involves the application of a novel assay for the iron metabolism hormone hepcidin in the approach to prevent, diagnose, and treat iron deficiency in infants...
- Stefano Rivella; Fiscal Year: 2014..b>Hepcidin deficiency is the direct cause of iron overload in nearly all cases of hereditary hemochromatosis and in ?-..
- Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation and Iron OverloadH Joachim Deeg; Fiscal Year: 2013..indicate that transplantation of allogeneic (but not syngeneic) T lymphocytes results in altered expression of hepcidin and ferroportin 1, and dysregulation of iron homeostasis...
- Frank M Torti; Fiscal Year: 2016..It is regulated by the peptide hormone hepcidin, which is made by the liver and circulates systemically...
- Identification of Novel Genes That Modulate Systemic Iron HomeostasisKARIN ELISABETH FINBERG; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Hepcidin, a small, circulating peptide produced by the liver, is a key regulator of iron homeostasis that decreases ..
- PAULA GOODMAN FRAENKEL; Fiscal Year: 2015..Both thalassemia and hereditary hemochromatosis are associated with inappropriately low levels of hepcidin, the key regulator of intestinal iron absorption and cellular iron storage, resulting in excessive dietary iron ..
- Retinal Iron Homeostasis in Health and DiseaseVadivel Ganapathy; Fiscal Year: 2013..The remaining cases arise from mutations in four other genes (hemojuvelin, hepcidin, transferrin receptor 2, and ferroportin), also coding for iron-regulatory proteins...
- Tomas Ganz; Fiscal Year: 2016..Studies by our lab and others indicate that hepcidin is suppressed by factor(s) secreted by the bone marrow in response to erythropoietic stimulation, which then act ..
- Hepcidin Replacement Therapy for Iron Overload DisordersJames W Larrick; Fiscal Year: 2013..Most types of iron overload are associated with low levels of hepcidin, a peptide that regulates iron metabolism by triggering degradation of ferroportin, an iron-transport protein ..
- Bioiron 2011: From basic science to medicineTomas Ganz; Fiscal Year: 2011..in our understanding of molecular iron sensing, intracellular iron transport, iron regulation including by hepcidin, ferroportin and microRNAs, pathogenesis of iron overload in iron-loading anemias, genetics of hereditary ..
- DERMATOREMEDIATION OF IRON OVERLOADLeonard M Milstone; Fiscal Year: 2010..by characterizing expression and function of iron export protein ferroportin in epidermis; 2. by using hepcidin to regulate expression of ferroportin; B...
- BOBBY JOSEPH CHERAYIL; Fiscal Year: 2016..as well as Hfe KO mice, have abnormally low circulating levels of the hepatocyte-derived, iron-regulatory peptide hepcidin. As a result, there is a reduction of intra-macrophage iron concentrations accompanied by elevation of serum iron,..
- Serum Biomarkers Associated With Phenotypic Expression of Hemochromatosis.Kris Kowdley; Fiscal Year: 2013..miRNA miR-122 was recently shown to be involved in mammalian iron homeostasis by repressing the expression of hepcidin and its activators, the Hfe and Hjv genes in a mouse model of hemochromatosis...
- Regulation of mammalian iron homeostasis by iron and transferrinTHOMAS BENEDICT BARTNIKAS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Fe homeostasis is largely regulated by hepcidin, a liver-derived peptide that inhibits dietary Fe absorption and macrophage Fe recycling...
- Role of Mitochondria in the Regulation of Iron metabolism by AlcoholDUYGU DEE DEE HARRISON-FINDIK; Fiscal Year: 2012..We have demonstrated that alcohol-induced oxidative stress down-regulates hepcidin transcription without causing changes in liver histology or an increase in triglycerides...
- Yelena Ginzburg; Fiscal Year: 2015..erythropoiesis;iron overload in this disease results from transfusion and increased iron absorption from hepcidin deficiency...
- Genes that modify Iron loading in miceNancy Catherine Andrews; Fiscal Year: 2012..in iron homeostasis using mice lacking Tmprss6, a key inhibitor of production of the iron regulatory hormone hepcidin. These complementary approaches should enhance our understanding of iron homeostasis and, importantly, yield new ..
- JOHN DEARBORN PHILLIPS; Fiscal Year: 2014..determine how iron leads to transcriptional activation and repression and determined the mechanism and consequences of the peptide hormone hepcidin as a transcriptional regulator of genes required for iron acquisition and distribution.
- Jerry Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 2014..Systemic iron physiology is regulated by the binding of the peptide hormone hepcidin to Fpn leading to Fpn internalization and degradation...
- Stefano Rivella; Fiscal Year: 2015..In particular, the hepatic hormone hepcidin has been identified as a central regulator of iron absorption and distribution...
- Modulation of Iron Deposition in SCD and Other HemoglobinopathiesELLIOTT P contact VICHINSKY; Fiscal Year: 2010..In particular, this project will explore the hypothesis that a chronic inflammatory state in SCD leads to hepcidin and cytokine mediated iron withholding within the RES, lower plasma NTBI levels and consequently reduced ..
- Mechanistic Characterization and Genetic Analysis of Systemic Iron HomeostasisXin Du; Fiscal Year: 2011..Specifically: 1. the normal function of TMPRSS6 is to inhibit the expression of hepcidin, the central regulator of iron homeostasis;2...
- Iron Acquisition by Mycobacterium tuberculosis Within PhagocytesBradley E Britigan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Whether other factors that regulate macrophage Fe metabolism (e.g. ferroportin, heme oxygenase 1 (HO-1), hepcidin) impact M.tb Fe acquisition is unknown. Similarly unknown is whether Fe acquisition by M...
- THOMAS BENEDICT BARTNIKAS; Fiscal Year: 2015..Fe homeostasis is regulated by hepcidin, a largely liver-derived peptide that inhibits dietary Fe absorption and macrophage Fe recycling...
- Hepcidin and the pathogenesis of anemia in older adults.Richard D Semba; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Hepcidin, a recently discovered peptide hormone, may be a major modulator in the anemia of inflammation...
- Regulation of hepcidin and iron metabolism in liver diseaseJulia Goodnough; Fiscal Year: 2011..Systemic iron metabolism is regulated by the peptide hormone hepcidin, which is expressed in the liver...
- Robert T Means; Fiscal Year: 2014..b>Hepcidin is an antibacterial protein which is produced in the liver, circulates in the blood, and is excreted in the urine...
- Iron and malaria: the central role of hepciden and macarophage functionANDRE ANDRE VAN DER VEN; Fiscal Year: 2010The past decade has seen remarkable advances in our understanding of iron homeostasis, e.g. the discovery of hepcidin and other iron regulatory proteins, which may help to unravel the underlying mechanisms of the complex interaction ..
- The Hepcidin-Ferroportin Axis in Anemia of Inflammation: Mechanisms and TargetsElizabeta Nemeth; Fiscal Year: 2012..The significance and timeliness of this area was recognized by a recent RFA (PAS-08-019). Hepcidin is the key regulator of systemic iron homeostasis and an acute phase reactant...
- MEREDITH ANN ATKINSON; Fiscal Year: 2015..b>Hepcidin, an anti-microbial peptide produced by the liver, whose production is stimulated by inflammation, interferes with ..
- LAURA MARIE BYSTROM; Fiscal Year: 2014..The iron biomarkers, hepcidin, ferroportin, transferrin receptor and the inflammatory cytokines, IL-1alpha and IL-6 are of particular interest ..
- Dana M McTigue; Fiscal Year: 2016..Also, expression of two key proteins, hepcidin and ferroportin (FP), is disproportionately regulated after SCI, most notably in mice with deficient TLR4 ..
- TARGETING BMP SIGNALING WITH TP-0413PH D WARNER; Fiscal Year: 2012..Anemia of cancer is cytokine driven and results in the up-regulation of a liver hormone called hepcidin through the function of BMP receptors...
- Marianne Wessling-Resnick; Fiscal Year: 2016DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): We advance the hypothesis that hepcidin regulates manganese metabolism...
- Randall T Peterson; Fiscal Year: 2016..most often caused by an increased expression of inflammatory cytokines leading to maladaptive over-expression of hepcidin, a peptide hormone and critical regulator of systemic iron balance...
- Acute vs. delayed iron therapy: effect on iron status, anemia and cognitionChandy C John; Fiscal Year: 2013..iron status (ZnPP, ferritin, TfR), erythropoiesis (erythropoietin, reticulocyte count) and inflammation (hepcidin, ferritin, alphal-acid glycoprotein, cytokines) will then be measured at baseline and 1, 6 and 12 months later ..
- Mechanisms of anemia of chronic inflammation and aging in mice.CINDY NORENE ROY; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Hepcidin antimicrobial peptide (Hepc) has been implicated in the pathogenesis of AICD because it is a negative regulator ..
- MIGUEL MAURICIO CABADA; Fiscal Year: 2016..of anemia will include iron studies and markers of inflammation (including a newly described marker called hepcidin that play a key role in anemia of chronic disease)...
- Map Kinase Pathways and Anemia in the ElderlyLeonidas C Platanias; Fiscal Year: 2010..of the effects of the pro-inflammatory cytokine tumor necrosis factor a (TNFa) and the iron-regulatory hormone hepcidin on normal erythropoiesis...
- Iron and AtherosclerosisSubha V Raman; Fiscal Year: 2013..to investigate iron in CVD arises from recent evidence identifying the effects of inflammation and iron on hepcidin, the key regulator of macrophage iron uptake and release...
- Functional Testing of Conserved Regions in Eukaryotic Divalent Metal TransportersLisa Ann Lambert; Fiscal Year: 2012..The results may provide key pieces of information (i.e., hepcidin interactions and small molecule inhibition of Nramp2) toward a better understanding of iron transport and ..
- Mechanisms of neurodegeneration and brain iron accumulationZhongmin Alex Ma; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have identified that hepcidin, a hormone regula ing iron export, is activated by inhibition of iPL~ in a p53 dependent manner...
- The role of iron in atherosclerosis: application of new iron biologyElizabeta Nemeth; Fiscal Year: 2012..diseases, systemic and local inflammation increases the production of the iron-regulatory peptide hormone hepcidin. Hepcidin functions by inhibiting the release of iron from macrophages, and would have the same effect in the ..
- Malaria and the safety of iron interventions: absorption and NTBIGary M Brittenham; Fiscal Year: 2012..of the appearance of plasma non-transferrin-bound Iron (NTBI) and measurements of the iron reguliatory hormone, hepcidin, and other proteins of iron metabolism...
- MARK EDWARD WESTERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2016..The peptide hormone hepcidin has emerged as the master regulator of iron metabolism...
- PORPHYRIN BIOSYNTHESIS IN NORMAL AND DISEASE STATESJOHN DEARBORN PHILLIPS; Fiscal Year: 2012..We will test the hypothesis that suppression of hepcidin expression is responsible for the excess liver iron stores...
- Iron Excess and Risk of Infection in Liver Transplant RecipientsJennifer K Chow; Fiscal Year: 2013..Iron is a universal nutrient for nearly all pathogens. The iron hormone, hepcidin, is thought to be the central regulator of human iron metabolism, and consequently, controls host serum iron ..
- Influence of Iron on Murine MalariaDavid Joseph Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2012..the influence of iron supplementation and timing of malaria infection in genotypic iron defective mice for hepcidin or also erythroid, not hepatic, iron uptake and 3) to correlate malaria outcomes with hematologic biomarkers like ..
- Curry L Koening; Fiscal Year: 2016..Molecular evidence supports that an infectious organism causes GCA. We showed hepcidin, an iron-regulatory hormone, is expressed in the temporal artery wall of patients with GCA...
- Marc J Semigran; Fiscal Year: 2016..utilization during low level exercise, and relate changes in hemoglobin, iron stores, the iron-regulatory protein hepcidin, and novel iron-dependent metabolomic profiles to changes in exercise capacity in order to identify patients most ..
- Towards Measures of Lupus Nephritis Activity &Damage for ChildrenHermine I Brunner; Fiscal Year: 2012..associated lipocalin, transferrin, ceruloplasmin, al-acid glycoprotein, chemokine ligand 2, adiponectin, hepcidin, liver-type fatty acid binding protein, and lipocalin-like prostaglandin-D synthetase, can noninvasively and ..
- Nancy Berliner; Fiscal Year: 2015..sub-sample of the VITAL cohort, we will investigate whether vitamin D and/or ?-3 FA influence erythropoiesis via hepcidin- and/or erythropoietin (EPO)-dependent pathways...
- Inflammation, Anemia and Respiratory Distress in Mothers and Infants with MalariaWHITNEY ELIZABETH HARRINGTON; Fiscal Year: 2011..related to resistant parasites also affects risk of maternal anemia, specifically by increasing IL-6 and hepcidin levels...
- The role of hemojuvelin in the regulation of iron metabolismTomas Ganz; Fiscal Year: 2007..The peptide hormone hepcidin emerged as the principal regulator of systemic iron homeostasis...
- Michael L Merchant; Fiscal Year: 2015..and protein fragments classify EPO response with more sensitivity and specificity than C-reactive protein and hepcidin. We hypothesize that specific serum proteins and peptides are candidate surrogate biomarkers for EPO ..
- MARK EDWARD WESTERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2014..stratification, earlier therapeutic interventions, and drug development for AKI Recently, we have shown that hepcidin is a small peptide (2...
- Fluorescence-based screen to probe hepcidin-ferroportin interactionsMarianne Wessling Resnick; Fiscal Year: 2006..The most important recent discovery has been the role of the liver-derived peptide hepcidin. Hepcidin is produced under iron- loading and inflammatory conditions to suppress dietary iron absorption and ..