Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: H3
Description: histone cluster 2, H3c
Alias: H3.2, H3/M, H3F2, H3FM, H3FN, H3 histone family, member M, H3 histone, family 2, histone 2, H3c, histone H3.2, histone H3/m
- Organismal differences in post-translational modifications in histones H3 and H4Benjamin A Garcia
Department of Chemistry, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22901, USA
J Biol Chem 282:7641-55. 2007..Using a combination of mass spectrometric and immunobiochemical approaches, we show that the PTM profile of histone H3 differs significantly among the various model organisms examined...
- Mitotic histone H3 phosphorylation by vaccinia-related kinase 1 in mammalian cellsTae Hong Kang
Department of Life Science, Division of Molecular and Life Science, Pohang University of Science and Technology, San 31, Hyoja Dong, Pohang 790 784, Republic of Korea
Mol Cell Biol 27:8533-46. 2007..In mammals, aurora B is believed to be the mitotic histone H3 Ser10 kinase; however, it is not sufficient to phosphorylate H3 Ser10 with aurora B alone...
- Acetylation by histone acetyltransferase CREB-binding protein/p300 of STAT6 is required for transcriptional activation of the 15-lipoxygenase-1 geneP Shankaranarayanan
Eicosanoid Research Division, Department of Gynaecology, University Medical Centre Benjamin Franklin, Free University Berlin, D 12200 Berlin, Germany
J Biol Chem 276:42753-60. 2001..After 9-11 h, when histones become acetylated, STAT6 binding sites may be demasked so that the phosphorylated and acetylated transcription factor can bind to activate gene transcription...
- Methylation of histone H3 lysine 9 creates a binding site for HP1 proteinsM Lachner
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology, The Vienna Biocenter, Vienna, Austria
Nature 410:116-20. 2001..Here we show that mammalian methyltransferases that selectively methylate histone H3 on lysine 9 (Suv39h HMTases) generate a binding site for HP1 proteins--a family of heterochromatic adaptor molecules ..
- Crosstalk between leukemia-associated proteins MOZ and MLL regulates HOX gene expression in human cord blood CD34+ cellsJ Paggetti
Inserm UMR 866, Faculty of Medicine, University of Burgundy, Dijon, France
Oncogene 29:5019-31. 2010..We also found that WDR5, an adaptor protein essential for lysine 4 trimethylation of histone H3 (H3K4me3) by MLL, colocalizes and interacts with MOZ...
- Phosphorylation of histone H3 at threonine 11 establishes a novel chromatin mark for transcriptional regulationEric Metzger
Universitäts Frauenklinik und Zentrale Klinische Forschung, Klinikum der Universität Freiburg, Breisacherstrasse 66, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Nat Cell Biol 10:53-60. 2008..Here we show that protein-kinase-C-related kinase 1 (PRK1) phosphorylates histone H3 at threonine 11 (H3T11) upon ligand-dependent recruitment to androgen receptor target genes...
- 14-3-3 proteins recognize a histone code at histone H3 and are required for transcriptional activationStefan Winter
Max F Perutz Laboratories, Vienna Biocenter, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
EMBO J 27:88-99. 2008Interphase phosphorylation of S10 at histone H3 is linked to transcriptional activation of a specific subset of mammalian genes like HDAC1. Recently, 14-3-3 proteins have been described as detectors for this phosphorylated histone H3 form...
- Recognition of unmethylated histone H3 lysine 4 links BHC80 to LSD1-mediated gene repressionFei Lan
Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, 77 Ave Louis Pasteur, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nature 448:718-22. 2007..LSD1 is a lysine-specific histone demethylase that represses transcription by demethylating histone H3 on lysine 4 (ref. 1)...
- DNMT3L connects unmethylated lysine 4 of histone H3 to de novo methylation of DNASteen K T Ooi
Department of Genetics and Development, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nature 448:714-7. 2007..Peptide interaction assays showed that DNMT3L specifically interacts with the extreme amino terminus of histone H3; this interaction was strongly inhibited by methylation at lysine 4 of histone H3 but was insensitive to ..
- IKKalpha shields 14-3-3sigma, a G(2)/M cell cycle checkpoint gene, from hypermethylation, preventing its silencingFeng Zhu
Science Park Research Division, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Smithville, TX 78957, USA
Mol Cell 27:214-27. 2007..Trimethylated histone H3 lysine 9 (H3-K9) was found to associate with the histone trimethyltransferase Suv39h1 and DNA methyltransferase ..
- PIM1-dependent phosphorylation of histone H3 at serine 10 is required for MYC-dependent transcriptional activation and oncogenic transformationAlessio Zippo
Dipartimento di Biologia Molecolare Università di Siena, Via Fiorentina 1, 53100 Siena, Italy
Nat Cell Biol 9:932-44. 2007..PIM1 to the E boxes of the MYC-target genes FOSL1 (FRA-1) and ID2, and PIM1 phosphorylates serine 10 of histone H3 (H3S10) on the nucleosome at the MYC-binding sites, contributing to their transcriptional activation...
- Identification of histone H3 lysine 36 acetylation as a highly conserved histone modificationStephanie A Morris
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
J Biol Chem 282:7632-40. 2007..Here we identify and characterize histone H3K36 acetylation (H3K36ac). By mass spectrometric analyses of H3 purified from Tetrahymena thermophila and Saccharomyces cerevisiae (yeast), we find that H3K36 can be acetylated or ..
- Histone acetylation-independent transcription stimulation by a histone chaperoneKohsuke Kato
Department of Infection Biology, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences and Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Tsukuba, 1 1 1 Tennodai, Tsukuba 305 8575, Japan
Nucleic Acids Res 35:705-15. 2007..These results suggest that TAF-I remodel the chromatin structure through its interaction with the core domain of the histones, including the histone fold, and this mechanism is independent of the histone acetylation status...
- PRMT6-mediated methylation of R2 in histone H3 antagonizes H3 K4 trimethylationDawin Hyllus
Institute of Molecular Biology and Tumor Research IMT, Philipps University of Marburg, 35032 Marburg, Germany
Genes Dev 21:3369-80. 2007..We show here that PRMT6 methylates histone H3 at R2 and histones H4/H2A at R3 in vitro...
- Human CpG binding protein interacts with MLL1, MLL2 and hSet1 and regulates Hox gene expressionKhairul I Ansari
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, The University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas 76019, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1779:66-73. 2008Human encodes several histone H3-Lysine 4 (H3K4) specific methyl-transferases (HMTs) such as MLL1 (mixed lineage leukemia 1), MLL2, MLL3, hSet1 etc, that play critical roles in gene expression...
- Molecular basis of histone H3K4me3 recognition by ING4Alicia Palacios
Structural Biology Unit, CIC bioGUNE, Parque Tecnologico de Bizkaia, Edificio 800, 48160 Derio, Spain
J Biol Chem 283:15956-64. 2008..Our results illustrate the versatility of PHD fingers as readers of the histone code...
- A method for genetically installing site-specific acetylation in recombinant histones defines the effects of H3 K56 acetylationHeinz Neumann
Medical Research Council Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 0QH, England, UK
Mol Cell 36:153-63. 2009..With these designer nucleosomes, we demonstrate that, in contrast to the prevailing dogma, acetylation of H3 K56 does not directly affect the compaction of chromatin and has modest effects on remodeling by SWI/SNF and RSC...
- Histone H3-K56 acetylation is important for genomic stability in mammalsJian Yuan
Division of Oncology Research, Department of Oncology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 555902, USA
Cell Cycle 8:1747-53. 2009Histone H3 lysine 56 acetylation (H3K56Ac) has recently been identified and shown to be important for genomic stability in yeast. However, whether or not H3K56 acetylation occurs in mammals is not clear...
- Phosphorylation of histone H3 Thr-45 is linked to apoptosisPaul J Hurd
Wellcome Trust and Cancer Research UK, Gurdon Institute and Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1QN, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 284:16575-83. 2009..Here, we identify threonine 45 of histone H3 (H3T45) as a site of phosphorylation in vivo...
- HBO1 HAT complexes target chromatin throughout gene coding regions via multiple PHD finger interactions with histone H3 tailNehme Saksouk
Laval University Cancer Research Center, Hôtel Dieu de Québec CHUQ, Quebec City, QC, Canada
Mol Cell 33:257-65. 2009..Biochemical and functional analyses indicate that these domains interact with histone H3 N-terminal tail region, but with a different specificity toward its methylation status...
- Sustained JNK1 activation is associated with altered histone H3 methylations in human liver cancerQingshan Chang
Graduate Center for Toxicology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
J Hepatol 50:323-33. 2009..It remains unclear whether JNK activation plays an important role in human HCC and, if so, how JNK signaling contributes to the initiation or progression of HCC...
- Histone H3K4me3 binding is required for the DNA repair and apoptotic activities of ING1 tumor suppressorP V Peña
Department of Pharmacology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 12801 East 17th Avenue, Aurora, CO 80045 0511, USA
J Mol Biol 380:303-12. 2008..apoptotic activities of ING1 require the interaction of the C-terminal plant homeodomain (PHD) finger with histone H3 trimethylated at Lys4 (H3K4me3)...
- Structural basis and binding properties of the second bromodomain of Brd4 with acetylated histone tailsYing Liu
Biochemistry 47:6403-17. 2008..With its tandem bromodomains, Brd4 avidly binds to diacetylated H4-AcK5/K12 and H3-AcK9/K14 peptides. Solution structure of the second bromodomain (BD) is reported in this research...
- Prokaryotic BirA ligase biotinylates K4, K9, K18 and K23 in histone H3Keyna Kobza
Departments of Nutrition and Health Sciences, University of Nebraska at Lincoln, Lincoln, NE, USA
BMB Rep 41:310-5. 2008..Incubation of recombinant BirA ligase with H3-based synthetic peptides showed that lysines 4, 9, 18, and 23 in histone H3 are the targets for the biotinylation by ..
- Atrophin recruits HDAC1/2 and G9a to modify histone H3K9 and to determine cell fatesLei Wang
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 675 Hoes Lane, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854, USA
EMBO Rep 9:555-62. 2008..and that both the ELM2 and SANT domains orchestrate molecular events that lead to a stable methylation of histone H3-lysine 9...
- The histone-binding protein COPR5 is required for nuclear functions of the protein arginine methyltransferase PRMT5Matthieu Lacroix
Institut de Genetique Moleculaire de Montpellier, Universite de Montpellier, Montpellier 34293, France
EMBO Rep 9:452-8. 2008..PRMT5 bound to COPR5 methylates histone H4 (R3) preferentially when compared with histone H3 (R8), suggesting that COPR5 modulates the substrate specificity of nuclear PRMT5-containing complexes, at least ..
- Histone H3 and H4 ubiquitylation by the CUL4-DDB-ROC1 ubiquitin ligase facilitates cellular response to DNA damageHengbin Wang
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Kaul Human Genetics Building Room 402A, 720 South 20th Street, 35294, USA
Mol Cell 22:383-94. 2006..Here, we report the purification and functional characterization of a histone H3 and H4 ubiquitin ligase complex, CUL4-DDB-ROC1...
- Quantitative proteomic analysis of post-translational modifications of human histonesHans Christian Beck
Danish Technological Institute, Holbergsvej 10, DK 6000 Kolding, Denmark
Mol Cell Proteomics 5:1314-25. 2006..A total of 32 acetylations, methylations, and ubiquitinations were located in the human histones H2A, H2B, H3, and H4, including seven novel modifications...
- Coactivator-associated arginine methyltransferase-1 enhances nuclear factor-kappaB-mediated gene transcription through methylation of histone H3 at arginine 17Feng Miao
Gonda Diabetes Center, Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope, Duarte, California 91010, USA
Mol Endocrinol 20:1562-73. 2006..the coactivators p160 and cAMP response element binding protein-binding protein (CBP) and methylation of histone H3 at arginine 17 (H3-R17)...
- Activating signal cointegrator 2 belongs to a novel steady-state complex that contains a subset of trithorax group proteinsYoung Hwa Goo
Department of Life Science, Pohang University of Science and Technology, Korea
Mol Cell Biol 23:140-9. 2003..a highly conserved 130- to 140-amino-acid motif termed the SET domain, which was recently implicated in histone H3 lysine-specific methylation activities...
- BRCA1 supports XIST RNA concentration on the inactive X chromosomeShridar Ganesan
The Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell 111:393-405. 2002..These observations suggest that loss of BRCA1 in female cells may lead to Xi perturbation and destabilization of its silenced state...
- Aurora-B phosphorylates Histone H3 at serine28 with regard to the mitotic chromosome condensationHidemasa Goto
Division of Biochemistry, Aichi Cancer Center Research Institute, Chikusa ku, Nagoya, Aichi464 8681, Japan
Genes Cells 7:11-7. 2002Histone H3 (H3) phosphorylation plays important roles in mitotic chromosome condensation. We reported that H3 phosphorylation occurs at Ser28, as well as at Ser10 during mitosis, at least in mammals...
- Functional interaction between nucleosome assembly proteins and p300/CREB-binding protein family coactivatorsN Shikama
Division of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Biol 20:8933-43. 2000..These results argue that NAP is a functionally important component of the p300 coactivator complex and suggest that NAP may serve as a point of integration between transcriptional coactivators and chromatin...
- Identification of a novel phosphorylation site on histone H3 coupled with mitotic chromosome condensationH Goto
Laboratory of Biochemistry, Aichi Cancer Center Research Institute, Nagoya, Aichi 464 8681, Japan
J Biol Chem 274:25543-9. 1999Histone H3 (H3) phosphorylation at Ser(10) occurs during mitosis in eukaryotes and was recently shown to play an important role in chromosome condensation in Tetrahymena...
- The genomic organization of the histone clusters on human 6p21.3J Ahn
Yale Child Health Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Yale University School of Medicine, 464 Congress Avenue, New Haven, Connecticut 06520-8081, USA
Mamm Genome 10:768-70. 1999
- Prothymosin alpha binds histones in vitro and shows activity in nucleosome assembly assayC Díaz-Jullien
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Facultad de Biologia, Universidad de Santiago, Spain
Biochim Biophys Acta 1296:219-27. 1996..Pro T alpha and histones in solution) indicated that Pro T alpha has higher affinity for core histones (particularly H3 and H4) than for H1...
- Fine mapping of the human pentraxin gene region on chromosome 1q23M T Walsh
Department of Genetics and Biotechnology Institute, University of Dublin, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland
Immunogenetics 44:62-9. 1996..In addition, it contains the histone H3F2 and H4F2 genes and the gene for erythroid alpha-spectrin (SPTA1). The gene order is cen...
- Human spleen histone H3. Isolation and amino acid sequenceY Ohe
J Biochem 90:1205-11. 1981The amino acid sequence of human spleen histone H3 was investigated as a study in histone evolution, following previous investigations of human spleen histone H2B [Ohe, Y., Hayashi, H., & Iwai, K. (1979) J. Biochem...
- A major human histone gene cluster on the long arm of chromosome 1L Green
Science 226:838-40. 1984..blot analysis of DNA's from a series of mouse-human somatic cell hybrids with 32P-labeled cloned human H4 and H3 histone DNA as probes...
- Novel mitosis-specific phosphorylation of histone H3 at Thr11 mediated by Dlk/ZIP kinaseUte Preuss
Institute of Genetics, University of Bonn, Roemerstrasse 164, D 53117 Bonn, Germany
Nucleic Acids Res 31:878-85. 2003..interacting protein (ZIP) kinase, is a nuclear serine/threonine-specific kinase that phosphorylates core histones H3 and H4, and myosine light chain in vitro...
- Purification and functional characterization of the human N-CoR complex: the roles of HDAC3, TBL1 and TBLR1Ho Geun Yoon
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
EMBO J 22:1336-46. 2003..Together, our data reveal the roles of HDAC3 and TBL/TBLR1 and provide evidence for the functional importance of histone interaction in repression mediated by SMRT-N-CoR complexes...
- Phosphorylation of histone H2A inhibits transcription on chromatin templatesYe Zhang
Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Biol Chem 279:21866-72. 2004..Furthermore, we found that acetylation of histone H3 by the p300 and CREB-binding protein associated factor, PCAF, suppressed the kinase-dependent inhibition of ..
- Structural basis for the methylation site specificity of SET7/9Jean Francois Couture
Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan, 1301 Catherine Road, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0606, USA
Nat Struct Mol Biol 13:140-6. 2006Human SET7/9 is a protein lysine methyltransferase (PKMT) that methylates histone H3, the tumor suppressor p53 and the TBP-associated factor TAF10...
- Histone demethylation by a family of JmjC domain-containing proteinsYu Ichi Tsukada
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7295, USA
Nature 439:811-6. 2006..protein, JHDM1 (JmjC domain-containing histone demethylase 1), that specifically demethylates histone H3 at lysine 36 (H3-K36)...
- Expression patterns and post-translational modifications associated with mammalian histone H3 variantsSandra B Hake
Laboratory of Chromatin Biology, The Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Biol Chem 281:559-68. 2006..Interest in non-allelic histone variants has been renewed, in part because of recent work on H3 (and other) histone variants. However, only in mammals do three non-centromeric H3 variants (H3.1, H3.2, and H3...
- Modifications of human histone H3 variants during mitosisBenjamin A Garcia
Department of Chemistry, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22904, USA
Biochemistry 44:13202-13. 2005Phosphorylation of histone H3 is a hallmark event in mitosis and is associated with chromosome condensation...
- Phosphorylation of Ser28 in histone H3 mediated by mixed lineage kinase-like mitogen-activated protein triple kinase alphaHong Seok Choi
Hormel Institute, University of Minnesota, Austin, Minnesota 55912, USA
J Biol Chem 280:13545-53. 2005The mitogen-activated protein kinase cascades elicit modification of chromatin proteins such as histone H3 by phosphorylation concomitant with gene activation...
- The kinase haspin is required for mitotic histone H3 Thr 3 phosphorylation and normal metaphase chromosome alignmentJun Dai
Division of Rheumatology, Immunology and Allergy, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Genes Dev 19:472-88. 2005..Thr 3 of histone H3 is highly conserved, but the significance of its phosphorylation is unclear, and the identity of the corresponding ..
- Functional characterization of a human histone gene cluster duplicationCorey D Braastad
Department of Cell Biology and Cancer Center, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, 55 Lake Avenue North, Worcester, MA 01655 0002, USA
Gene 342:35-40. 2004..Levels of messenger RNAs for duplicated histone H4 genes are high relative to those for non-duplicated H4 genes. Our data suggest that transcriptionally robust histone H4 genes may have been preferentially duplicated during evolution...
- Methylated lysine 79 of histone H3 targets 53BP1 to DNA double-strand breaksYentram Huyen
Wistar Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 4268, USA
Nature 432:406-11. 2004..In vitro, the 53BP1 tandem tudor domain bound histone H3 methylated on Lys 79 using residues that form the walls of the pocket; these residues were also required for ..
- Ligand-dependent activation of the farnesoid X-receptor directs arginine methylation of histone H3 by CARM1Meenakshisundaram Ananthanarayanan
Department of Pediatrics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
J Biol Chem 279:54348-57. 2004..This methyltransferase activity is directed specifically to arginine 17 of histone H3. We demonstrate that FXR is directly associated with co-activator-associated arginine methyltransferase 1 (CARM1) ..
- Human PAD4 regulates histone arginine methylation levels via demethyliminationYanming Wang
Department of Genetic Medicine, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Science 306:279-83. 2004..PAD4 targets multiple sites in histones H3 and H4, including those sites methylated by coactivators CARM1 (H3 Arg17) and PRMT1 (H4 Arg3)...
- Enhancer-facilitated expression of prokaryotic and eukaryotic genes using human histone gene 5' regulatory sequencesF Marashi
Biochem Cell Biol 64:277-89. 1986We examined the structural and functional properties of a human H3 histone gene promoter. The complete nucleotide sequence of an H3 structural gene and 515 nucleotides of 5' and 100 nucleotides of 3' flanking sequences were determined...
- Role of Ubp-M and H2A deubiquitination in chromatin and cellular functionHengbin Wang; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, due to the amount of work in this application and the uncertain outcome of these experiments, we did not list these experiments as a Specific Aim. ..
- Role of Ubp-M and H2A deubiquitination in chromatin and cellular functionHengbin Wang; Fiscal Year: 2009..However, due to the amount of work in this application and the uncertain outcome of these experiments, we did not list these experiments as a Specific Aim. ..