Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: GANC
Description: glucosidase alpha, neutral C
Alias: neutral alpha-glucosidase C
- Dgany O, Avidan N, Delaunay J, Krasnov T, Shalmon L, Shalev H, et al. Congenital dyserythropoietic anemia type I is caused by mutations in codanin-1. Am J Hum Genet. 2002;71:1467-74 pubmed..The specific mechanisms by which codanin-1 underlies normal erythropoiesis remain to be elucidated. ..
- Fischer P, Karlsson G, Dwek R, Platt F. N-butyldeoxynojirimycin-mediated inhibition of human immunodeficiency virus entry correlates with impaired gp120 shedding and gp41 exposure. J Virol. 1996;70:7153-60 pubmed
- Zhang M, Yang C, Zhao M, Yu L, Yang K, Zhu X, et al. Immobilization of Cr(VI) by hydrated Portland cement pastes with and without calcium sulfate. J Hazard Mater. 2018;342:242-251 pubmed publisher..The generalized acid neutralization capacity (GANC) test indicated that the Cr(VI) leaching behavior was a function of the leachate pH value...
- Hart M, Saifuddin M, Spear G. Glycosylation inhibitors and neuraminidase enhance human immunodeficiency virus type 1 binding and neutralization by mannose-binding lectin. J Gen Virol. 2003;84:353-60 pubmed..This study shows that specific alterations of the N-linked carbohydrates on HIV gp120/gp41 can enhance MBL-mediated neutralization of virus by strengthening the interaction of HIV-1 with MBL. ..
- Fischer P, Karlsson G, Butters T, Dwek R, Platt F. N-butyldeoxynojirimycin-mediated inhibition of human immunodeficiency virus entry correlates with changes in antibody recognition of the V1/V2 region of gp120. J Virol. 1996;70:7143-52 pubmed..These effects may play a role in the previously described NB-DNJ-mediated inhibition of HIV entry at the level of post-CD4 binding. ..
- Kamimura H, Ogata H, Takahara H. Alpha-glucoside formation of xenobiotics by rat liver alpha-glucosidases. Drug Metab Dispos. 1992;20:309-15 pubmed..Several other diol structure-bearing compounds were found in vitro to give rise to alpha-glucoside conjugates, and the mechanism of alpha-glucoside formation is discussed. ..
- Ratner L, Vander Heyden N, Dedera D. Inhibition of HIV and SIV infectivity by blockade of alpha-glucosidase activity. Virology. 1991;181:180-92 pubmed..These findings demonstrate a critical requirement for oligosaccharide processing by alpha-glucosidases I and II for HIV-1 and SIVmac envelope processing and fusogenicity. ..
- Pantophlet R, Wilson I, Burton D. Hyperglycosylated mutants of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) type 1 monomeric gp120 as novel antigens for HIV vaccine design. J Virol. 2003;77:5889-901 pubmed..The hyperglycosylated mutant and its analogues described here are novel antigens that may provide a new approach to eliciting antibodies with b12-like neutralizing properties. ..
- Liu J, Zha F, Deng Y, Cui K, Zhang X. Effect of an alkaline environment on the engineering behavior of cement-stabilized/solidified Zn-contaminated soils. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2017;24:28248-28257 pubmed publisher..UCS) combined with toxicity characteristic leaching procedure (TCLP) and general acid neutralization capacity (GANC) was used to investigate the effects of alkalinity (using NaOH to simulate alkalinity in the environment) on the ..
- Wolk T, Schreiber M. N-Glycans in the gp120 V1/V2 domain of the HIV-1 strain NL4-3 are indispensable for viral infectivity and resistance against antibody neutralization. Med Microbiol Immunol. 2006;195:165-72 pubmed..Mutants lacking g2, g3, g5 and g6 with an infectivity of more than 10% of the NL4-3 wt virus were tested for neutralization and showed a high sensitivity against human serum antibody from HIV-1 infected individuals. ..
- Usuki F, Ishiura S, Nonaka I, Sugita H. alpha-Glucosidase isoenzymes in normal and acid maltase-deficient human skeletal muscles. Muscle Nerve. 1988;11:365-71 pubmed..In contrast, the eluate of the late-onset AMD (32-year-old) muscle contained both the adult and fetal neutral alpha-glucosidases, 68 and 32%, respectively. ..
- Oba Shinjo S, da Silva R, Andrade F, Palmer R, Pomponio R, Ciociola K, et al. Pompe disease in a Brazilian series: clinical and molecular analyses with identification of nine new mutations. J Neurol. 2009;256:1881-90 pubmed publisher..Our findings help to characterize Pompe disease in Brazil and support the need for additional studies to define the wide clinical and pathological spectrum observed in this disease. ..
- Blough H, Pauwels R, De Clercq E, Cogniaux J, Sprecher Goldberger S, Thiry L. Glycosylation inhibitors block the expression of LAV/HTLV-III (HIV) glycoproteins. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1986;141:33-8 pubmed..The reverse transcriptase was not affected by the compounds. Glycosylation inhibitors may be considered for the chemotherapy of AIDS or AIDS-related complex, or chemoprophylaxis of HIV-positive individuals. ..
- Papandreou M, Fenouillet E. Effect of various glycosidase treatments on the resistance of the HIV-1 envelope to degradation. FEBS Lett. 1997;406:191-5 pubmed..Thus, partial deglycosylation increases Env sensitivity to proteases but only its total deglycosylation alters its stability. ..
- Alhadeff J, Thom D, Holzinger R. Activity levels and properties of acid alpha-glucosidase from liver and neutral alpha-glucosidase from sera of cystic fibrosis patients and controls. Clin Chim Acta. 1981;117:227-37 pubmed..8) when compared to the normal serum enzyme. This altered isoelectric composition may reflect changes in neutral alpha-glucosidase which contribute to its increased activity in cystic fibrosis sera. ..
- Hirschhorn R, Huie M, Kasper J. Computer assisted cloning of human neutral alpha-glucosidase C (GANC): a new paralog in the glycosyl hydrolase gene family 31. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:13642-6 pubmed..We hypothesized that an as-yet uncloned human alpha-glucosidase (human neutral alpha-glucosidase C or GANC) is a previously uncharacterized member of a paralogous human glycosyl hydrolase gene family 31, sharing sequence ..
- Fenouillet E, Gluckman J. Effect of a glucosidase inhibitor on the bioactivity and immunoreactivity of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 envelope glycoprotein. J Gen Virol. 1991;72 ( Pt 8):1919-26 pubmed..Such bioactivity and conformation modifications, which result from the abnormal folding of the nascent glycoprotein due to aberrant glycosylation, may account for the impaired HIV-1 infectivity elicited by dNM. ..
- Dedera D, Gu R, Ratner L. Role of asparagine-linked glycosylation in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 transmembrane envelope function. Virology. 1992;187:377-82 pubmed
- Gruters R, Neefjes J, Tersmette M, de Goede R, Tulp A, Huisman H, et al. Interference with HIV-induced syncytium formation and viral infectivity by inhibitors of trimming glucosidase. Nature. 1987;330:74-7 pubmed..The potential of glucosidase inhibitors as anti-HIV therapeutic agents deserves further investigation, especially because dNM and related compounds show little toxicity in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Martiniuk F, Hirschhorn R, Smith M. Assignment of the gene for human neutral alpha-glucosidase C to chromosome 15. Cytogenet Cell Genet. 1980;27:168-75 pubmedHuman neutral alpha-glucosidase C (GANC) can be separated from the homologous mouse isozyme by starch gel electrophoresis at pH 6.5...
- Lei B, Xing R, Zhou X, Lv D, Wan B, Shu F, et al. Neutral alpha-1,4-glucosidase and fructose levels contribute to discriminating obstructive and nonobstructive azoospermia in Chinese men with azoospermia. Andrologia. 2016;48:670-5 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results indicated that NAG and fructose levels are contributed to discriminating obstructive and nonobstructive azoospermia in Chinese patients based on the histological types of testes. ..
- Papandréou M, Barbouche R, Guieu R, Kieny M, Fenouillet E. The alpha-glucosidase inhibitor 1-deoxynojirimycin blocks human immunodeficiency virus envelope glycoprotein-mediated membrane fusion at the CXCR4 binding step. Mol Pharmacol. 2002;61:186-93 pubmed..Altogether, our results suggest that DNM and its analogs deserve further investigation as anti-HIV agents in combination with experimental compounds targeting CXCR4 to inhibit each partner of this crucial step of HIV entry. ..
- Martiniuk F, Hirschhorn R. Human neutral alpha-glucosidase C: genetic polymorphism including a "null" allele. Am J Hum Genet. 1980;32:497-507 pubmed..This is the third example of a "null" allele which has a substantial gene frequency in an outbred population but does not appear to result in disease in the homozygous state. ..
- Preobrazhenskaia M, Minakova A. [Comparative study of the alpha-glucosidase activity of lymphocytes and granulocytes of human peripheral blood]. Vopr Med Khim. 1984;30:77-82 pubmed..The data obtained suggest that granulocyte neutral alpha-glucosidase was similar to the same enzyme from kidney, whereas lymphocyte neutral alpha-glucosidase--to the enzyme from liver tissue. ..
- Land A, Braakman I. Folding of the human immunodeficiency virus type 1 envelope glycoprotein in the endoplasmic reticulum. Biochimie. 2001;83:783-90 pubmed..Here we present an overview of the present knowledge on the folding process of the heavily glycosylated human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) envelope glycoprotein in the ER. ..
- Kawabata Y, Hata S, Ono Y, Ito Y, Suzuki K, Abe K, et al. Newly identified exons encoding novel variants of p94/calpain 3 are expressed ubiquitously and overlap the alpha-glucosidase C gene. FEBS Lett. 2003;555:623-30 pubmed..Unlike p94, the novel p94 variants expressed in COS7 cells do not undergo rapid autolysis, suggesting basic functions different from p94. ..
- Montefiori D, Robinson W, Mitchell W. Role of protein N-glycosylation in pathogenesis of human immunodeficiency virus type 1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1988;85:9248-52 pubmed..These results demonstrate that protein N-glycosylation is critical to the pathogenesis of HIV-1 at the levels of viral infectivity and cytopathicity but not at the level of virus replication or of host-cell infectibility. ..
- Fenouillet E, Jones I, Powell B, Schmitt D, Kieny M, Gluckman J. Functional role of the glycan cluster of the human immunodeficiency virus type 1 transmembrane glycoprotein (gp41) ectodomain. J Virol. 1993;67:150-60 pubmed
- Lukomskaia I, Ushakova N, Kazlas E. [Soluble and membrane-bound neutral alpha-glucosidase from the human kidney]. Biokhimiia. 1983;48:1810-9 pubmed..The synthesis of both forms is presumably coded by the same structural gene. ..
- Murphy C, Lennick M, Lehar S, Beltz G, Young E. Temporal expression of HIV-1 envelope proteins in baculovirus-infected insect cells: implications for glycosylation and CD4 binding. Genet Anal Tech Appl. 1990;7:160-71 pubmed..We conclude that production of native HIV envelope proteins, as measured by addition of carbohydrate side chains and ability to bind CD4, peaks early after infection in baculovirus-infected insect cells. ..
- Bolmstedt A, Sjolander S, Hansen J, Akerblom L, Hemming A, Hu S, et al. Influence of N-linked glycans in V4-V5 region of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 glycoprotein gp160 on induction of a virus-neutralizing humoral response. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol. 1996;12:213-20 pubmed..These data indicated that elimination of the three N-linked glycans from gp160 resulted in an altered local antigenic conformation but did not uncover hidden neutralization epitopes, broadening the immune response. ..