Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: FGF8
Description: fibroblast growth factor 8 (androgen-induced)
Alias: AIGF, FGF-8, HBGF-8, HH6, KAL6, androgen-induced growth factor, fibroblast growth factor 8, heparin-binding growth factor 8
Publications144 found, 100 shown here
- Fibroblast growth factors, their receptors and signalingC J Powers
School of Nursing, Department of Pharmacology, Department of Oncology, Lombardi Cancer Center, Georgetown University, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Endocr Relat Cancer 7:165-97. 2000..FGF signaling also appears to play a role in tumor growth and angiogenesis, and autocrine FGF signaling may be particularly important in the progression of steroid hormone-dependent cancers to a hormone-independent state...
- Receptor specificity of the fibroblast growth factor familyD M Ornitz
Department of Molecular Biology and Pharmacology, Washington University Medical School, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Biol Chem 271:15292-7. 1996..These data should serve as a biochemical foundation for determining developmental, physiological, and pathophysiological processes that involve FGF signaling pathways...
- FGF-8b increases angiogenic capacity and tumor growth of androgen-regulated S115 breast cancer cellsM M Mattila
Institute of Biomedicine, Department of Anatomy, University of Turku, 20520 Turku, Finland
Oncogene 20:2791-804. 2001b>Fibroblast growth factor 8 (FGF-8) is a secreted heparin-binding protein, which has transforming potential...
- Role of fibroblast growth factor 8 in growth and progression of hormonal cancerMirjami M Mattila
Institute of Biomedicine, Department of Anatomy, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 18:257-66. 2007..factors which have been associated with the regulation of growth and progression of hormonal cancer is fibroblast growth factor 8 (FGF8) which has also been recognized as an oncogene...
- Structure and sequence of human FGF8J Gemel
Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, 63110, USA
Genomics 35:253-7. 1996Recent evidence indicates that Fgf8 is expressed during vertebrate development in multiple locations involved in the patterning and outgrowth of important embryo structures...
- Regulation of FGF8 expression by the androgen receptor in human prostate cancerVincent J Gnanapragasam
Prostate Research Group, School of Surgical Sciences, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH, UK
Oncogene 21:5069-80. 2002b>Fibroblast growth factor 8 (FGF8) has been shown to play a key role in prostate carcinogenesis. It was initially cloned as an androgen induced protein in mouse mammary cancer SC3 cells...
- Enhanced invasion and tumor growth of fibroblast growth factor 8b-overexpressing MCF-7 human breast cancer cellsJ K Ruohola
Department of Anatomy, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Turku, Kiinamyllynkatu 10, 20520 Turku, Finland
Cancer Res 61:4229-37. 2001b>Fibroblast growth factor 8 (FGF-8) is a secreted heparin-binding protein, which has mitogenic and transforming activity...
- FGF-8 is involved in bone metastasis of prostate cancerMaija P Valta
Department of Anatomy, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Int J Cancer 123:22-31. 2008....
- FGF-8b induces growth and rich vascularization in an orthotopic PC-3 model of prostate cancerMaija P Valta
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Turku, Finland
J Cell Biochem 107:769-84. 2009b>Fibroblast growth factor 8 (FGF-8) is expressed at an increased level in a high proportion of prostate cancers and it is associated with a poor prognosis of the disease...
- Molecular cloning and characterization of human FGF8 alternative messenger RNA formsA K Ghosh
Department of Pathology, University of Southern California School of Medicine, Los Angeles 90033, USA
Cell Growth Differ 7:1425-34. 1996Three alternatively spliced mRNA isoforms of the human fibroblast growth factor-8 (FGF8) gene, expressed in a prostatic carcinoma cell line, have been isolated as cDNA clones and characterized by DNA sequencing...
- FGF8 isoform b expression in human prostate cancerV J Gnanapragasam
Prostate Research Group, School of Surgical Sciences, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, UK
Br J Cancer 88:1432-8. 2003Overexpression of fibroblast growth factor 8 (FGF8) mRNA has been previously described in prostate cancer. Of its four isoforms, FGF8b is thought to be the most important in carcinogenesis...
- Fibroblast growth factor 8 is expressed at higher levels in lactating human breast and in breast cancerC Zammit
Cancer Research UK Laboratories, Department of Cancer Medicine, Imperial College, Hammersmith Hospital, Du Cane Road, London W12 0NN, UK
Br J Cancer 86:1097-103. 2002b>Fibroblast growth factor 8 can transform NIH3T3 cells and its expression has been found to be associated with breast and prostate cancer...
- Human androgen-induced growth factor in prostate and breast cancer cells: its molecular cloning and growth propertiesA Tanaka
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Kagoshima University, Japan
FEBS Lett 363:226-30. 1995Androgen-induced growth factor (AIGF) has hormone-regulated properties in the mouse Shionogi carcinoma cell line...
- The human FGF-8 gene localizes on chromosome 10q24 and is subjected to induction by androgen in breast cancer cellsR A Payson
Department of Internal Medicine and Comprehensive Cancer Center, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Oncogene 13:47-53. 1996Androgen-induced growth factor (AIGF or FGF-8) was originally isolated from the conditioned medium of an androgen-dependent Shionogi carcinoma, SC-3, cell line. It shares structural similarity with other members of the FGF family...
- Regionalisation and acquisition of polarity in the optic tectumH Nakamura
Department of Molecular Neurobiology, Institute of Development, Aging and Cancer, Tohoku University, Seiryo machi 4 1, Aoba ku, 980 8575, Sendai, Japan
Prog Neurobiol 65:473-88. 2001..b>Fgf8 is a candidate signalling molecule in the organiser...
- Cardiac arterial pole alignment is sensitive to FGF8 signaling in the pharynxMary R Hutson
Neonatal Perinatal Research Institute, Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Box 3179, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Dev Biol 295:486-97. 2006..We hypothesized that neural crest ablation results in elevated FGF8 signaling in the caudal pharynx that disrupts secondary heart field development...
- Functional relationship between fibroblast growth factor-8 and bone morphogenetic proteins in regulating steroidogenesis by rat granulosa cellsTomoko Miyoshi
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2 5 1 Shikata cho, Kitaku, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
Mol Cell Endocrinol 325:84-92. 2010..This interaction between FGF-8 and BMPs may play a key role in regulating steroidogenesis through oocyte-granulosa cell communication...
- Hopf bifurcation in the presomitic mesoderm during the mouse segmentationAitor Gonzalez
Institute for Virus Research, Kyoto University, Japan
J Theor Biol 259:176-89. 2009..In addition to the cyclic genes, there is a gradient of fibroblast growth factor 8 (Fgf8) mRNA from posterior to anterior PSM...
- FGF8 dose-dependent regulation of embryonic submandibular salivary gland morphogenesisTina Jaskoll
Laboratory for Developmental Genetics, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 0641, USA
Dev Biol 268:457-69. 2004b>FGF8 has been shown to play important morphoregulatory roles during embryonic development...
- Busulfan-induced central polydactyly, syndactyly and cleft hand or foot: a common mechanism of disruption leads to divergent phenotypesTakuji Naruse
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Yamagata University School of Medicine, Yamagata 990 9585, Japan
Dev Growth Differ 49:533-41. 2007..end labeling (TUNEL) assays; we also carried out whole mount in situ hybridization for fibroblast growth factor-8 (Fgf8), bone morphogenetic protein-4 (Bmp4), and sonic hedgehog (Shh) to examine developmental pathways linked to these ..
- Differentiation of non-mesencephalic neural stem cells towards dopaminergic neuronsR Rossler
Department of Neuroscience, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, A Deusinglaan 1, 9713AV Groningen, The Netherlands
Neuroscience 170:417-28. 2010..is partially activated by a combination of the extracellular induction factors Sonic Hedgehog (Shh), Fibroblast Growth Factor 8 (FGF8) and Wnt1 that trigger specific intracellular transcription cascades...
- Fibroblast growth factor 17 is over-expressed in human prostate cancerR Heer
Urology Research Group, Northern Institute for Cancer Research, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
J Pathol 204:578-86. 2004Over-expression of fibroblast growth factor 8 (FGF8) in human prostate cancer is associated with clinically aggressive disease...
- Regulation of outgrowth and apoptosis for the terminal appendage: external genitalia development by concerted actions of BMP signaling [corrected]Kentaro Suzuki
Center for Animal Resources and Development, Graduate School of Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kumamoto University, Honjo 2 2 1, Kumamoto 860 0811, Japan
Development 130:6209-20. 2003..It has been shown that the distal urethral epithelium (DUE), distal epithelia marked by the Fgf8 expression, may control the initial GT outgrowth...
- An Fgf8 mouse mutant phenocopies human 22q11 deletion syndromeDeborah U Frank
Department of Pediatrics, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Development 129:4591-603. 2002..b>Fibroblast growth factor 8 is a signaling molecule expressed in the ectoderm and endoderm of the developing pharyngeal arches and ..
- Retinoic-acid signalling in node ectoderm and posterior neural plate directs left-right patterning of somitic mesodermIoan Ovidiu Sirbu
OncoDevelopmental Biology Program, Burnham Institute for Medical Research, 10901 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Nat Cell Biol 8:271-7. 2006..generated by retinaldehyde dehydrogenase-2; Raldh2) anteriorly and fibroblast growth factor (FGF; generated by Fgf8) posteriorly...
- Mutation of the atrophin2 gene in the zebrafish disrupts signaling by fibroblast growth factor during development of the inner earYukako Asai
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Laboratory of Sensory Neuroscience, The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021 6399, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:9069-74. 2006..line, ru622, whose phenotypic characteristics resembled those of null mutants for the gene encoding fibroblast growth factor 8 (Fgf8): an inconsistent startle response, circular swimming, fused otoliths, and abnormal semicircular ..
- Developmental basis for hind-limb loss in dolphins and origin of the cetacean bodyplanJ G M Thewissen
Department of Anatomy, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, Rootstown, OH 44272, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:8414-8. 2006..Our data indicate that the cetacean hind-limb bud forms an AER and that this structure expresses Fgf8 initially, but that neither the AER nor Fgf8 expression is maintained...
- Retinoids control anterior and dorsal properties in the developing forebrainAida Halilagic
MRC Centre for Developmental Neurobiology, King s College London, Guy s Campus, London SE1 1UL, UK
Dev Biol 303:362-75. 2007..shown that retinoids act mainly on cell proliferation and survival in the ventral forebrain by regulating SHH and FGF8 signaling...
- Engrailed and Fgf8 act synergistically to maintain the boundary between diencephalon and mesencephalonSteffen Scholpp
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics, Dresden, Germany
Development 130:4881-93. 2003..This suggests that an additional factor maintains midbrain cell fate. We find that Fgf8 is a candidate for this signal, as it is both necessary and sufficient to repress pax6...
- The development of the thalamic motor learning area is regulated by Fgf8 expressionAlmudena Martinez-Ferre
Instituto de Neurociencias, Universidad Miguel Hernandez Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, 03550 San Juan de Alicante, Spain
J Neurosci 29:13389-400. 2009..The Fgf8 gene is expressed in the dorsal midline of the diencephalon, close to the area in which the habenular region will ..
- Comparative genomics on FGF16 orthologsYuriko Katoh
M and M Medical BioInformatics, Hongo 113 0033, Japan
Int J Mol Med 16:959-63. 2005We have previously reported comparative genomics analyses on FGF3, FGF4, FGF6, FGF7, FGF8, FGF10, FGF11, FGF17, FGF18, FGF19, FGF20, FGF22 and FGF23 genes...
- Neural crest induction by paraxial mesoderm in Xenopus embryos requires FGF signalsAnne Hélène Monsoro-Burq
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of California at Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Development 130:3111-24. 2003..Among the FGFs, FGF8 is strongly expressed by the paraxial mesoderm...
- Sonic hedgehog in the pharyngeal endoderm controls arch pattern via regulation of Fgf8 in head ectodermKim E Haworth
Department of Craniofacial Development, Dental Institute, Kings College London, London SE1 9RT, UK
Dev Biol 303:244-58. 2007b>Fgf8 signalling is known to play an important role during patterning of the first pharyngeal arch, setting up the oral region of the head and then defining the rostral and proximal domains of the arch...
- Ablation of specific expression domains reveals discrete functions of ectoderm- and endoderm-derived FGF8 during cardiovascular and pharyngeal developmentTimothy L Macatee
Program in Human Molecular Biology and Genetics, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Development 130:6361-74. 2003b>Fibroblast growth factor 8 (Fgf8) is expressed in many domains of the developing embryo...
- Vitamin D3 suppresses the androgen-stimulated growth of mouse mammary carcinoma SC-3 cells by transcriptional repression of fibroblast growth factor 8Hirotoshi Kawata
Department of Pathology, Jichi Medical University, Shimotsuke, Tochigi, Japan
J Cell Physiol 207:793-9. 2006..Importantly, fgf8 was markedly repressed in response to vitamin D3...
- Correlation of vascular endothelial growth factor expression with fibroblast growth factor-8 expression and clinico-pathologic parameters in human prostate cancerA F West
Prostate Research Group, Department of Surgery, The Medical School, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, UK
Br J Cancer 85:576-83. 2001..In conclusion, we report for the first time a correlation of both tumour and stromal VEGF expression in prostate cancer with clinical parameters as well as its correlation to FGF-8 expression...
- Prevention of ochratoxin A-induced neural tube defects by folic acid in the genetic polydactyly/arhinencephaly mouse, Pdn/PdnRyu ichi Katagiri
School of Health Science, Faculty of Medicine, Tottori University, Yonago, Tottori, Japan
Congenit Anom (Kyoto) 47:90-6. 2007..Over-expression of Fgf8 was observed at the anterior neural ridge (ANR) in the non-treated Pdn/Pdn...
- Evidence that FGF8 signalling from the midbrain-hindbrain junction regulates growth and polarity in the developing midbrainS M Lee
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, The Biolabs, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Development 124:959-69. 1997..We have explored the role of Wnt-1 and FGF8 signalling in the regulation of mesencephalic polarity...
- The isthmic organizer signal FGF8 is required for cell survival in the prospective midbrain and cerebellumCandace L Chi
Department of Anatomy and Program in Developmental Biology, School of Medicine, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0452, USA
Development 130:2633-44. 2003..b>FGF8 and WNT1 have been implicated as key components of IsO signaling activity, and previous studies have shown that in ..
- Androgen inducibility of Fgf8 in Shionogi carcinoma 115 cells correlates with an adjacent t(5;19) translocationAnat Erdreich-Epstein
Division of Hematology Oncology, The Saban Research Institute, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, California, USA
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 45:169-81. 2006Fgf8 (fibroblast growth factor 8) was initially cloned from a mouse mammary tumor cell line derived from the androgen-dependent Shionogi carcinoma 115...
- Fgf8 expression defines a morphogenetic center required for olfactory neurogenesis and nasal cavity development in the mouseShimako Kawauchi
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, and Developmental Biology Center, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697 1275, USA
Development 132:5211-23. 2005..We used a genetic approach to test the hypothesis that Fgf8 plays such a role in developing OE...
- Role of Lmx1b and Wnt1 in mesencephalon and metencephalon developmentEiji Matsunaga
Department of Molecular Neurobiology, Institute of Development, Aging and Cancer, and Graduate School of Life Sciences, Tohoku University, Seiryo machi 4 1, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
Development 129:5269-77. 2002The isthmus is the organizing center for the tectum and cerebellum. Fgf8 and Wnt1 are secreted molecules expressed around the isthmus. The function of Fgf8 has been well analyzed, and now accepted as the most important organizing signal...
- Retinoid signaling is required to complete the vertebrate cardiac left/right asymmetry pathwayM H Zile
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, 48824, USA
Dev Biol 223:323-38. 2000..reveals the expression of early asymmetry genes activin receptor IIa, sonic hedgehog, Caronte, Lefty-1, and Fgf8 to be unaffected by the lack of retinoids, while expression of the downstream genes nodal-related, snail-related (..
- Gene regulatory networks underlying the compartmentalization of the Ciona central nervous systemKaoru S Imai
Department of Zoology, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto, 606 8502, Japan
Development 136:285-93. 2009..The Fgf8 signaling molecule expressed in the MHB organizer plays a key role in delineating separate mesencephalon and ..
- The complex genetics of Kallmann syndrome: KAL1, FGFR1, FGF8, PROKR2, PROK2, et alJ P Hardelin
INSERM U587, Département de Neuroscience, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Sex Dev 2:181-93. 2008..To date, five KS genes have been identified, namely, FGFR1, FGF8, PROKR2, PROK2, and KAL1. Mutations in these genes, however, account for barely 30% of all KS cases...
- Induction of initial heart alpha-actin, smooth muscle alpha-actin, in chick pregastrula epiblast: the role of hypoblast and fibroblast growth factor-8Hiroko Matsui
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka City University, Osaka 545 8585, Japan
Dev Growth Differ 50:143-57. 2008..Here we investigated the role of fibroblast growth factor-8 (FGF8) in the expression of SMA...
- Fgf8 induces pillar cell fate and regulates cellular patterning in the mammalian cochleaBonnie E Jacques
Section on Developmental Neuroscience, Porter Neuroscience Research Center, 35 Convent Dr, Room 2A 100, National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Development 134:3021-9. 2007..Here, using in vitro and in vivo techniques, we demonstrate that an Fgf8 signal arising from the inner hair cells is the key component in an inductive pathway that regulates the number, ..
- Cloning, expression and relationship of zebrafish gbx1 and gbx2 genes to Fgf signalingMuriel Rhinn
Department of Genetics, Max Planck Institute for Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics, University of Dresden, Pfotenhauer Strasse 108, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Mech Dev 120:919-36. 2003..Analysis of gbx1 and gbx2 expression during formation of the MHB in mutant embryos for pax2.1, fgf8 and pou2 (noi, ace, spg), as well as Fgf-inhibition experiments, show that gbx1 acts upstream of these genes in MHB ..
- The Fgf8 signal causes cerebellar differentiation by activating the Ras-ERK signaling pathwayTatsuya Sato
Department of Molecular Neurobiology, Graduate School of Life Sciences, Tohoku University, Seiryo machi 4 1, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
Development 131:4275-85. 2004The mes/metencephalic boundary (isthmus) is an organizing center for the optic tectum and cerebellum. Fgf8 is accepted as a crucial organizing signal...
- Otx2, Gbx2, and Fgf8 expression patterns in the chick developing inner ear and their possible roles in otic specification and early innervationHortensia Sanchez-Calderon
Departamento de Biologia Celular, Universidad de Extremadura, Avda de Elvas s n, 06071 Badajoz, Spain
Gene Expr Patterns 4:659-69. 2004..Here, we present a detailed description of the Otx2, Gbx2, and Fgf8 gene expression patterns in the chick developing inner ear, comparing them with the Bmp4 expression, a putative ..
- Early thyroid development requires a Tbx1-Fgf8 pathwayGabriella Lania
Telethon Institute of Genetics and Medicine, and University Federico II, Naples, Italy
Dev Biol 328:109-17. 2009..Because Tbx1 regulates the expression of Fgf8 in the mesoderm, we postulated that Fgf8 mediates critical Tbx1-dependent interactions between mesodermal cells and ..
- Integration of proviral sequences, but not at the common integration sites of the FGF8 locus, in an androgen-dependent mouse mammary Shionogi carcinomaK Kuriki
Department of Pathology, Jichi Medical School, Kawachi, Tochigi, Japan
Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand) 46:1147-56. 2000..Prompted by our previous finding that FGF8, an insertionally activated cellular oncogene, is highly expressed in androgen-dependent mouse mammary Shionogi ..
- The role of fibroblast growth factors and their receptors in prostate cancerB Kwabi-Addo
Department of Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine and Michael E DeBakey Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Endocr Relat Cancer 11:709-24. 2004..Fibroblast growth factors (FGFs), including FGF1 (acidic FGF), FGF2 (basic FGF), FGF6 and FGF8 are all expressed at increased levels in prostate cancer as paracrine and/or autocrine growth factors for the ..
- Role of fibroblast growth factor 8 (FGF8) in animal models of osteoarthritisMasako Uchii
Pharmaceutical Research Center, Kyowa Hakko Kogyo Co, Ltd, Sunto, Shizuoka, Japan
Arthritis Res Ther 10:R90. 2008b>Fibroblast growth factor 8 (FGF8) is isolated as an androgen-induced growth factor, and has recently been shown to contribute to limb morphogenesis...
- EN and GBX2 play essential roles downstream of FGF8 in patterning the mouse mid/hindbrain regionA Liu
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Developmental Genetics Program, Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, Department of Cell Biology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Development 128:181-91. 2001b>Fgf8, which is expressed at the embryonic mid/hindbrain junction, is required for and sufficient to induce the formation of midbrain and cerebellar structures...
- Increasing Fgf4 expression in the mouse limb bud causes polysyndactyly and rescues the skeletal defects that result from loss of Fgf8 functionPengfei Lu
Department of Anatomy and Program in Developmental Biology, School of Medicinè University of California at San Francisco San Francisco, CA 94143 2711, USA
Development 133:33-42. 2006..Previous studies have suggested that of the four FGF genes specifically expressed in the mouse AER, Fgf8 is unique not only in its expression pattern, but also because it is the only such FGF gene that causes limb ..
- Fgf-dependent otic induction requires competence provided by Foxi1 and Dlx3bStefan Hans
Institute of Neuroscience, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403, USA
BMC Dev Biol 7:5. 2007..that fibroblast growth factors (Fgfs) are required for otic induction; in zebrafish, loss of both Fgf3 and Fgf8 results in total ablation of otic tissue...
- Fgf8b-containing spliceforms, but not Fgf8a, are essential for Fgf8 function during development of the midbrain and cerebellumQiuxia Guo
Department of Genetics and Developmental Biology, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
Dev Biol 338:183-92. 2010The single Fgf8 gene in mice produces eight protein isoforms (Fgf8a-h) with different N-termini by alternative splicing...
- FGF8 is required for cell survival at distinct stages of nephrogenesis and for regulation of gene expression in nascent nephronsUta Grieshammer
Department of Anatomy and Program in Developmental Biology, School of Medicine, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 2711, USA
Development 132:3847-57. 2005..Here, we have used an allelic series of mutations to determine the role of the secreted signaling molecule FGF8 in nephrogenesis...
- A genetic link between Tbx1 and fibroblast growth factor signalingFrancesca Vitelli
Department of Pediatrics Cardiology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston TX 77030, USA
Development 129:4605-11. 2002..We show that the expression patterns of Fgf8 and Fgf10, which partially overlap with Tbx1 expression pattern, are altered in Tbx1(-/-) mutants...
- Expansion and characterization of ventral mesencephalic precursor cells: effect of mitogens and investigation of FA1 as a potential dopaminergic markerPia Jensen
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Institute of Medical Biology, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
J Neurosci Res 85:1884-93. 2007..We investigated the potential use of fibroblast growth factor 2 (FGF2) and fibroblast growth factor 8 (FGF8) for expansion of such dopaminergic precursor cells, and fetal antigen-1 (FA1), a secreted ..
- Control of retinoic acid synthesis and FGF expression in the nasal pit is required to pattern the craniofacial skeletonY Song
Department of Oral Health Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry, University of British Columbia, 2199 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z3
Dev Biol 276:313-29. 2004..We also examined cell survival genes, the most relevant of which was Fgf8, which is expressed around the nasal pit and in the frontonasal mass...
- Positional regulation of Pax2 expression pattern in mesencephalic and diencephalic alar plateC Vieira
Neuroscience Institute of Alicante, UMH CSIC, Miguel Hernandez University, Campus de San Juan, N 332, Km 87, E 03550 San Juan de Alicante, Spain
Neuroscience 137:7-11. 2006..The isthmic organizer controls the development of the mesencephalic-rhombencephalic junction by means of fibroblast growth factor 8 (Fgf8) expression...
- FGF19-FGFR4 signaling elaborates lens induction with the FGF8-L-Maf cascade in the chick embryoHitomi Kurose
Department of Biological Science and Technology, Faculty of Engineering, University of Tokushima, 2 1 Minami Jyosanjima, Tokushima 770 8506, Japan
Dev Growth Differ 47:213-23. 2005..b>Fgf8, a positive regulator for L-Maf, was expressed in a portion of the optic vesicle...
- Search for genes involved in Joubert syndrome: evidence that one or more major loci are yet to be identified and exclusion of candidate genes EN1, EN2, FGF8, and BARHL1Ian P Blair
Division of Genetics and Development, Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Am J Med Genet 107:190-6. 2002..Consequently, we undertook mutation analysis of several functional candidate genes, EN1, EN2, and FGF8, in a total of 26 unrelated JS patients...
- Fgf8 dosage determines midfacial integration and polarity within the nasal and optic capsulesJohn N Griffin
Dept of Craniofacial Development, King s College London, Floor 27, Guy s Hospital, London Bridge, London SE1 9RT, UK
Dev Biol 374:185-97. 2013..The molecular and cellular dialogue includes communication via secreted signaling molecules, including Fgf8, and effectors of their interpretation...
- Divergence of intracellular signaling pathways and early response genes of two closely related fibroblast growth factors, FGF8 and FGF18, in bovine ovarian granulosa cellsZhongliang Jiang
College of Animal Science and Technology, Northwestern Agricultural and Forestry University, Yangling, Shaanxi, China
Mol Cell Endocrinol 375:97-105. 2013Fibroblast growth factors (FGFs) modulate ovarian function, including FGF8 and FGF18...
- Specification of midbrain dopamine neurons from primate pluripotent stem cellsJiajie Xi
Institute of Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine, Institutes of Biomedical Sciences, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Stem Cells 30:1655-63. 2012..C25II) and CHIR99021 (GSK3β inhibitor) to induce the midbrain floor plate (FP) progenitors and fibroblast growth factor 8 (FGF8) to promote dopaminergic differentiation in a chemically defined medium, we have established a ..
- A novel 17 kD heparin-binding growth factor (HBGF-8) in bovine uterus: purification and N-terminal amino acid sequenceP G Milner
Department of Medicine, Jewish Hospital, Washington University Medical Center, St Louis, Missouri 63110
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 165:1096-103. 1989..HBGF-8 was as active as acidic fibroblast growth factor (aFGF) and slightly less active than bFGF in the mouse NIH 3T3 fibroblast mitogenic assay system with an intrinsic specific activity of 5000 dpm/ng under standard assay conditions...
- Differential display of genes expressed at the midbrain - hindbrain junction identifies sprouty2: an FGF8-inducible member of a family of intracellular FGF antagonistsD Chambers
MRC Brain Development Programme, Centre for Developmental Neurobiology, King s College London, New Hunt s House, Guy s Campus, London, SE1 9RT, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Neurosci 15:22-35. 2000..Current evidence suggests that FGF8, expressed at the isthmus, provides this patterning influence...
- Facial clefting in Tp63 deficient mice results from altered Bmp4, Fgf8 and Shh signalingHelen A Thomason
Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences, Michael Smith Building, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PT, England, UK
Dev Biol 321:273-82. 2008..Acting antagonistically on Fgf8 and Shh, this aberrant signaling led to a reduction in mesenchymal cell proliferation and increased cell death in ..
- Limb bud and flank mesoderm have distinct "physical phenotypes" that may contribute to limb buddingBrooke J Damon
Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Dev Biol 321:319-30. 2008Limb bud outgrowth in chicken embryos is initiated during the third day of development by Fibroblast Growth Factor 8 (FGF8) produced by the newly formed apical ectodermal ridge (AER)...
- Fibroblast growth factor 8 signaling through fibroblast growth factor receptor 1 is required for the emergence of gonadotropin-releasing hormone neuronsWilson C J Chung
Department of Integrative Physiology and Center for Neuroscience, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado 80309 0354, USA
Endocrinology 149:4997-5003. 2008..Mutations in both fibroblast growth factor receptor (Fgfr1) and Fgf8 have been shown to cause Kallmann syndrome, a disease characterized by hypogonadotropic hypogonadism and anosmia, ..
- Molecular analysis of external genitalia formation: the role of fibroblast growth factor (Fgf) genes during genital tubercle formationR Haraguchi
Center for Animal Resources and Development CARD, Kumamoto University, Honjo 2 2 1, Kumamoto 860 0811, Japan
Development 127:2471-9. 2000..The Fgf genes have been postulated as regulating several downstream genes during organogenesis. Fgf8 was expressed in the distal urethral plate epithelium of the genital tubercle (GT) together with other markers such ..
- In vitro odontoblast-like cell differentiation of cranial neural crest cells induced by fibroblast growth factor 8 and dentin non-collagen proteinsHong bing Jiang
College of Stomatology, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, Jiangsu 210029, PR China
Cell Biol Int 32:671-8. 2008..tubes and cultured in serum-free Dulbecco's modified Eagle's medium (DMEM)/F12 medium which contained fibroblast growth factor 8 (FGF8) and dentin non-collagen proteins (DNCP)...
- A novel isoform of human fibroblast growth factor 8 is induced by androgens and associated with progression of esophageal carcinomaS Tanaka
Department of Surgery II, Faculty of Medicine, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Dig Dis Sci 46:1016-21. 2001..carcinoma line, KSE-1, from a male patient with esophageal cancer; recently a novel isoform of human fibroblast growth factor 8 (FGF8f, isoform FGF8b) was identified and expressed following androgen stimulation of KSE-1 cells...
- Transcription of fgf8 is regulated by activating and repressive cis-elements at the midbrain-hindbrain boundary in zebrafish embryosFumitaka Inoue
Division of Life Science, Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Saitama University, Shimo okubo, Sakura ku, Saitama City, Saitama 338 8570, Japan
Dev Biol 316:471-86. 2008b>Fgf8 is expressed in the isthmic region of the developing brain, serving an organizing function in vertebrate embryos. We previously identified S4...
- Ongoing sonic hedgehog signaling is required for dorsal midline formation in the developing forebrainMonica Hayhurst
Department of Biological Sciences, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Dev Neurobiol 68:83-100. 2008..Several signaling molecules including sonic hedgehog (SHH), fibroblast growth factor 8 (FGF8), and bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs) have been implicated in dorsal midline development, and ..
- Increased expression of FGF-8 isoforms and FGF receptors in human premalignant prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia lesions and prostate cancerE M Valve
Department of Anatomy and Medicity Research Laboratory, Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland
Lab Invest 81:815-26. 2001b>Fibroblast growth factor 8 (FGF-8) is implicated in growth of prostate cancer. Alternative splicing of the human FGF-8 gene potentially allows coding for four protein isoforms (a, b, e, and f)...
- Purification of activins from androgen-independent Shionogi carcinoma cells demonstrates enhanced expression of activin betaB-subunit under androgen-depleted cell conditions in vitro and in vivoA Tanaka
Department of Pathology, Jichi Medical School, Minamikawachi, Kawachi, Tochigi, Japan
J Cell Physiol 188:194-200. 2001..Previous isolation of fibroblast growth factor 8 (FGF8) from androgen-dependent Shionogi carcinoma SC-3 cells prompted us to characterize growth factors ..
- Inductive signal and tissue responsiveness defining the tectum and the cerebellumT Sato
Department of Molecular Neurobiology, Institute of Development, Aging and Cancer, Seiryo machi 4 1, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
Development 128:2461-9. 2001..The candidate signaling molecule is Fgf8 whose mRNA is localized in the region where the cerebellum differentiates...
- Tight transcriptional control of the ETS domain factors Erm and Pea3 by Fgf signaling during early zebrafish developmentF Raible
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics, Pfotenhauerstrasse 108, D 01307 Dresden, Germany
Mech Dev 107:105-17. 2001..Pea3, two ETS domain transcription factors, and show that their expression correlates closely with the domains of fgf8 and fgf3 expression...
- Ectopic Wnt signal determines the eyeless phenotype of zebrafish masterblind mutantS van de Water
Hubrecht Laboratory, Netherlands Institute for Developmental Biology, Uppsalalaan 8, 3584 CT Utrecht, The Netherlands
Development 128:3877-88. 2001..Overexpression of gsk3beta mRNA rescued eyes and the wild-type fgf8 expression of homozygous mbl embryos...
- Mapping ligand binding domains in chimeric fibroblast growth factor receptor molecules. Multiple regions determine ligand binding specificityA Chellaiah
Department of Molecular Biology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Biol Chem 274:34785-94. 1999..FGFR1 bound well to FGF2 but poorly to FGF8 and FGF9. In contrast, FGFR3 bound well to FGF8 and FGF9 but poorly to FGF2...
- Genomic structure, mapping, activity and expression of fibroblast growth factor 17J Xu
Department of Molecular Biology and Pharmacology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Mech Dev 83:165-78. 1999..It exhibits 60% amino acid identity with Fgf8 and 50% identity with Fgf8...
- Roles for FGF8 in the induction, initiation, and maintenance of chick limb developmentP H Crossley
Department of Anatomy, School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0452, USA
Cell 84:127-36. 1996We provide evidence that FGF8 serves as an endogenous inducer of chick limb formation and that its expression in the intermediate mesoderm at the appropriate time and place to trigger forelimb development is directly linked to the ..
- Influence of mesodermal Fgf8 on the differentiation of neural crest-derived postganglionic neuronsYiju Chen
Department of Biology, University of Texas at San Antonio, One UTSA Circle, San Antonio, Texas 78249, USA
Dev Biol 361:125-36. 2012..Here we show that the spatiotemporal expression of Fibroblast growth factor 8 (Fgf8) is strategically poised to control this cellular relationship...
- Functional interaction of fibroblast growth factor-8, bone morphogenetic protein and estrogen receptor in breast cancer cell proliferationHiroko Masuda
Department of Cancer and Thoracic Surgery, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2 5 1 Shikata cho, Kitaku, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
Mol Cell Endocrinol 343:7-17. 2011..Collectively, the results indicate that FGF-8 acts to facilitate cell proliferation by upregulating endogenous estrogenic actions as well as by suppressing BMP receptor signaling in ER-expressing breast cancer cells...
- Senataxin modulates neurite growth through fibroblast growth factor 8 signallingChiara Vantaggiato
E Medea Scientific Institute, Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Via D L Monza 20, 23842 Bosisio Parini, Lecco, Italy
Brain 134:1808-28. 2011..revealed a role of senataxin in modulating the expression levels and signalling activity of fibroblast growth factor 8. Silencing of senataxin reduced, while overexpression enhanced, fibroblast growth factor 8 expression ..
- Stromal activation associated with development of prostate cancer in prostate-targeted fibroblast growth factor 8b transgenic miceTeresa D Elo
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Neoplasia 12:915-27. 2010Expression of fibroblast growth factor 8 (FGF-8) is commonly increased in prostate cancer. Experimental studies have provided evidence that it plays a role in prostate tumorigenesis and tumor progression...
- Differential fibroblast growth factor 8 (FGF8)-mediated autoregulation of its cognate receptors, Fgfr1 and Fgfr3, in neuronal cell linesNatasha N Mott
Department of Cell and Molecular Physiology, Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e10143. 2010..We tested whether FGF8 could autoregulate two of its cognate receptors, Fgfr1 and Fgfr3, in three murine cell lines with different ..
- Coordinated regulation of dorsal bone morphogenetic protein 4 and ventral Sonic hedgehog signaling specifies the dorso-ventral polarity in the optic vesicle and governs ocular morphogenesis through fibroblast growth factor 8 upregulationTakuma Kobayashi
Developmental Neurobiology Laboratory, Department of Biological Sciences, Nara Women s University, Nara, Japan
Dev Growth Differ 52:351-63. 2010..protein 4 (BMP4) and Sonic hedgehog (Shh) constitute a dorsal-ventral signaling system together with fibroblast growth factor 8 (FGF8)...
- Long-term culture and differentiation of CNS precursors derived from anterior human neural rosettes following exposure to ventralizing factorsSilvia Colleoni
Laboratorio di Tecnologie della Riproduzione, Avantea, Cremona, Italy
Exp Cell Res 316:1148-58. 2010..expansion in presence of bFGF and EGF, or to dopaminergic precursors after exposure to ventralizing factors Shh and FGF8. Both regionalised precursors are capable of extensive proliferation and differentiation towards the corresponding ..
- Fibroblast growth factor 8 increases breast cancer cell growth by promoting cell cycle progression and by protecting against cell deathEmeli M Nilsson
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Tumour Biology, Lund University, CRC, Building 91, Plan 10, Entrance 72, UMAS, 20502 Malmo, Sweden
Exp Cell Res 316:800-12. 2010b>Fibroblast growth factor 8 (FGF-8) is expressed in a large proportion of breast cancers, whereas its level in normal mammary gland epithelium is low...
- FGFs and BMP4 induce both Msx1-independent and Msx1-dependent signaling pathways in early tooth developmentM Bei
Genetics Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Development 125:4325-33. 1998..b>Fgf8 expression is preserved in Msx1 mutant epithelium while that of Fgf3 is not detected in Msx1 mutant dental ..
- Cis-regulation and chromosomal rearrangement of the fgf8 locus after the teleost/tetrapod splitAnna Z Komisarczuk
Sars Centre for Marine Molecular Biology, University of Bergen, Thormøhlensgate 55, N 5008 Bergen, Norway
Dev Biol 336:301-12. 2009The complex expression pattern of fibroblast growth factor 8 (Fgf8) and the cellular responses dependent on concentration of its mRNA in vertebrates suggest that Fgf8 should be tightly controlled at the transcriptional level...
- Functional and phylogenetic analysis shows that Fgf8 is a marker of genital induction in mammals but is not required for external genital developmentAshley W Seifert
Department of Zoology, UF Genetics Institute, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Development 136:2643-51. 2009..Outgrowth of the genital tubercle is maintained by the urethral epithelium, and it has been reported that Fgf8 mediates this activity...
- Fibroblast growth factor-8 expression is regulated by intronic engrailed and Pbx1-binding sitesJ Gemel
Department of Pediatrics and Pathology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Biol Chem 274:6020-6. 1999Fibroblast growth factor-8 (FGF8) plays a critical role in vertebrate development and is expressed normally in temporally and spatially restricted regions of the vertebrate embryo...
- Zebrafish aussicht mutant embryos exhibit widespread overexpression of ace (fgf8) and coincident defects in CNS developmentC P Heisenberg
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Development 126:2129-40. 1999During the development of the zebrafish nervous system both noi, a zebrafish pax2 homolog, and ace, a zebrafish fgf8 homolog, are required for development of the midbrain and cerebellum...
- Expression survey of genes critical for tooth development in the human embryonic tooth germDahe Lin
College of Life Sciences, Fujian Normal University, Fuzhou, Fujian, People s Republic of China
Dev Dyn 236:1307-12. 2007..human tooth morphogenesis, we examined the expression patterns of several regulatory genes, including BMP4, FGF8, MSX1, PAX9, PITX2, and SHOX2, and compared them with that found in mice...
- Transient expression, purification and characterization of bioactive human fibroblast growth factor 8b in tobacco plantsH H Surya Kumar Potula
Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India
Transgenic Res 17:19-32. 2008cDNA of human fibroblast growth factor 8 isoform b (FGF8b) was cloned for the first time into a plant expression vector with or without endoplasmic reticulum retention signal (KDEL) and was transiently expressed as His tagged fusion ..
- Developing Neuroendocrine Brain, Androgen, and Fibroblast Growth Factor SignalingWILSON CHUNG; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies examine how testosterone regulates FGF8/FGF receptor expression in the embryo brain, and investigate the consequences of FGF8 deficiency on brain ..
- Craniofacial Development: The Role of the EndotheliumKristin Melton; Fiscal Year: 2007..and differentiation, and will identify extrinsic regulators of endothelial development, focusing on the effects of FGF8 and SHH...
- FORMING AND PATTERNING THE VERTEBRATE INNER EARGARY SCHOENWOLF; Fiscal Year: 2009..Second, we will determine the roles of Fgf4 and Fgf8 in formation of the rudiments of the inner ear...
- Development of Avian Extraocular Muscles and NervesDrew Noden; Fiscal Year: 2007..g., fgf8) act upon adjacent paraxial mesoderm cells...
- GENETIC CONTROL OF MID-HIND BRAIN PATTERNINGAlexandra Joyner; Fiscal Year: 1999..and metencephalon (mes/met) require Wnt1 and En, that the isthmus acts as an organizer for the region with Fgf8 being its likely inducing factor, and that Gbx2 may act later in cerebellum development...
- Genetic Mechanisms of Vertebrate Caudal Limb Field SpecificationJEFFREY INNIS; Fiscal Year: 2007..data has excluded much of the genome including, but not limited to, the chromosomal regions of Pitxl, Tbx4, Tbx5, Fgf8, and Fgf10, genes known to be involved in early limb bud outgrowth, as well as the Disorganization locus and ..
- Neural Crest Modulates FGF Signaling in the PharynxMargaret Loewy Kirby; Fiscal Year: 2010..this laboratory: 1) FGF target genes are elevated after neural crest ablation;2) Fgf8b, the most active isoform of FGF8 is elevated;3) a reporter cell line for FGF registers elevated FGF8b signaling in the ventral pharynx;and 4) ..
- CONDITIONAL MUTAGENESIS OF FIBROBLAST GROWTH FACTORSAnne Moon; Fiscal Year: 2002..The goal of the proposed project is to determine the roles of FGF4 and FGF8 during early limb development...
- Lineage & Development of the Midbrain & HindbrainMark Zervas; Fiscal Year: 2005..During early development the mes, which expresses Otx2 and Wnt1, and the met, which expresses Gbx2 and Fgf8, are juxtaposed at a well-defined constriction along the anteroposterior axis defined as the isthmus...
- Conotruncal defects: genetic and nutritional riskEDWARD JAMES LAMMER; Fiscal Year: 2010..of the anterior heart field of the early embryo (NKX2-5, GATA4, GATA5, GATA6, ZFPM2, FOXH1, MEF2C, ISL1 and FGF8)...
- POTENTIAL MSXL DOWNSTREAM GENES IN TOOTH DEVELOPMENTMarianna Bei; Fiscal Year: 2000..I have recently shown that epithelial FGFs like FGF8 can induce Fgf3 expression in dental mesenchyme and that this induction requires Msx1...
- Development of the Vertebrate Primary MouthHazel Sive; Fiscal Year: 2007..Two genes that came out of this analysis are fgf8 and the Wnt pathway inhibitor, frzb1, and preliminary data indicates that both are essential for primary mouth ..