Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: FADS3
Description: fatty acid desaturase 3
Alias: CYB5RP, LLCDL3, cytochrome b5-related protein, delta-9 fatty acid desaturase, delta-9-desaturase, linoleoyl-CoA desaturase (delta-9-desaturase)-like 3
Publications118 found, 100 shown here
- cDNA cloning, genomic structure, and chromosomal localization of three members of the human fatty acid desaturase familyA Marquardt
Institute of Human Genetics, University of Wurzburg, Wurzburg, 97074, Germany
Genomics 66:175-83. 2000..A third member, fatty acid desaturase-3 (FADS3), was identified in silico revealing 62 and 70% nucleotide sequence identity with FADS1 and FADS2, respectively...
- Genome-wide association study of plasma polyunsaturated fatty acids in the InCHIANTI StudyToshiko Tanaka
MedStar Research Institute, Baltimore, MD, USA
PLoS Genet 5:e1000338. 2009..for association was observed in a region of chromosome 11 that encodes three fatty acid desaturases (FADS1, FADS2, FADS3)...
- Comparison of the reactivity of tetradecenoic acids, a triacsin, and unsaturated oximes with four purified Saccharomyces cerevisiae fatty acid activation proteinsL J Knoll
Department of Molecular Biology and Pharmacology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Biol Chem 270:20090-7. 1995..cis-double bond is a feature it shares with Faa3p and is notable since in yeast Ole1p, a microsomal cis-delta 9 desaturase, accounts for de novo production of monoenoic acyl-CoAs from saturated acyl-CoA substrates...
- Fatty acid composition of milk from multiparous Holstein cows treated with bovine somatotropin and fed n-3 fatty acids in early lactationM Carriquiry
Department of Animal Science, University of Minnesota, St Paul 55108 6118, USA
J Dairy Sci 92:4865-75. 2009..10, 0.09, 0.08, and 0.09 +/- 0.01 for SSN, SSY, AFN, and AFY, respectively). Feeding Alifet-Repro increased n-3 fatty acids in milk and bST prolonged the partitioning of dietary fatty acids into milk fat...
- Fatty acid profile of erythrocyte membranes as possible biomarker of longevityAnnibale A Puca
IRCCS Policlinico Multimedica, Milan, Italy
Rejuvenation Res 11:63-72. 2008..We concluded that erythrocyte membranes derived from nonagenarian offspring have a different lipid composition (reduced lipid peroxidation and increased membrane integrity) to that of the general population...
- Short communication: indigestible markers reduce the mammary Delta9-desaturase index and alter the milk fatty acid composition in cowsK J Shingfield
Animal Production Research, MTT Agrifood Research Finland, FIN 31600, Jokioinen, Finland
J Dairy Sci 89:3006-10. 2006..6, 52.7, 58.7, 36.8, 37.2, 44.3, and 43.0%, respectively. In conclusion, one or more of the markers administered altered milk fatty acid composition and may act as an inhibitor of Delta(9)-desaturase in the bovine mammary gland...
- Temperature-regulated mRNA accumulation and stabilization for fatty acid desaturase genes in the cyanobacterium Synechococcus sp. strain PCC 7002T Sakamoto
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802, USA
Mol Microbiol 23:1281-92. 1997..The desB (omega 3 desaturase) and desC (delta 9 desaturase) genes of Synechococcus sp...
- Identification of Rv3230c as the NADPH oxidoreductase of a two-protein DesA3 acyl-CoA desaturase in Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37RvYong Chang
Biophysics Graduate Degree Program and Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, 433 Babcock Drive, Madison, Wisconsin 53706 1549, USA
Biochemistry 45:13476-86. 2006..tuberculosis H37Rv to minimally consist of a soluble Rv3230c reductase and integral membrane DesA3 desaturase. Further implications of this finding relative to the properties of other multiprotein iron-enzyme complexes are discussed...
- Characterization of NO adducts of the diiron center in protein R2 of Escherichia coli ribonucleotide reductase and site-directed variants; implications for the O2 activation mechanismShen Lu
Department of Environmental and Biomolecular Systems, OGI School of Science and Engineering, Oregon Health and Science University, Beaverton, OR 97006 8921, USA
J Biol Inorg Chem 9:818-27. 2004..The formation of equivalent NO adducts in the wt and variant proteins strongly favors the formation of a symmetric bridging peroxo intermediate during the O(2) activation process in R2-wt...
- Juvenile neuronal ceroid-lipofuscinosis (Batten disease): a brief review and updateDinesh Rakheja
Department of Pathology, UT Southwestern Medical Center and Children s Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Curr Mol Med 7:603-8. 2007..In this review, following an introduction to the neuronal ceroid-lipofuscinoses, we provide a brief overview and an update of the most recent research in JNCL, specifically that related to the function of CLN3P...
- Down-regulated expression of PPARalpha target genes, reduced fatty acid oxidation and altered fatty acid composition in the liver of mice transgenic for hTNFalphaHeidi Glosli
Biotechnology Centre of Oslo, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Biochim Biophys Acta 1734:235-46. 2005..This is not due to de novo fatty acid synthesis as both FAS activity and gene expression of ACC2 were reduced...
- Effect of plant oils in the diet on performance and milk fatty acid composition in goats fed diets based on grass hay or maize silageLaurence Bernard
INRA, UR1213 Herbivores, Equipe Tissu Adipeux et Lipides du Lait, Site de Theix, F 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Br J Nutr 101:213-24. 2009..In conclusion, plant oils represent an effective strategy for altering the fatty acid composition of caprine milk, with evidence that the basal diet is an important determinant of ruminal unsaturated fatty acid metabolism in the goat...
- Nuclear factor 1 is essential for the expression of stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 gene during preadipocyte differentiationM V Singh
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin Madison 53706, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1398:148-56. 1998Stearoyl CoA desaturase gene 1 (SCD1) is a delta 9 desaturase that is transcriptionally activated during the differentiation of 3T3-L1 preadipocytes into adipocytes...
- Transplastomic tobacco plants expressing a fatty acid desaturase gene exhibit altered fatty acid profiles and improved cold toleranceWendy Craig
CNR IGV, Institute of Plant Genetics Portici, Portici, NA, Italy
Transgenic Res 17:769-82. 2008..In fact, the transplastomic plants expressing the S. commersonii gene contain only plant-derived sequences, a clear attraction from a public acceptability perspective...
- Changes in membrane fluid state and heat shock response cause attenuation of virulenceAmalia Porta
University of Salerno, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy, Division of Biomedicine, Salerno, Italy
J Bacteriol 192:1999-2005. 2010..This new procedure to generate attenuated forms of pathogens may be used eventually to produce a novel class of vaccines based on the genetic manipulation of a pathogen's membrane fluid state and stress response...
- Chemical and posttranslational modification of Escherichia coli acyl carrier protein for preparation of dansyl-acyl carrier proteinsJ A Haas
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Protein Expr Purif 20:274-84. 2000..The efficient in vivo phosphopantetheinylation of E. coli apo-ACP by coexpression with holo-ACP synthase in E. coli BL21(DE3) using fructose as the carbon source is also reported...
- Effect of a high linoleic acid diet on delta 9-desaturase activity, lipogenesis and lipid composition of pig subcutaneous adipose tissueM Kouba
Ensa de Rennes, France
Reprod Nutr Dev 38:31-7. 1998..The present study suggests that delta 9-desaturase could be involved in the regulation of monounsaturated fatty acid content and hence in the quality of pig adipose tissue...
- The OLE1 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae encodes the delta 9 fatty acid desaturase and can be functionally replaced by the rat stearoyl-CoA desaturase geneJ E Stukey
Nelson Biological Laboratory, Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey 08855 1059
J Biol Chem 265:20144-9. 1990..yeast genomic fragment complementing the ole1 mutation has been sequenced and determined to encode the delta 9 fatty acid desaturase enzyme by comparison of primary amino acid sequence to the rat liver stearoyl-CoA desaturase...
- Delta-9 fatty acid desaturase gene containing a carboxyl-terminal cytochrome b5 domain from the red alga Cyanidioschyzon merolaeR Itoh
Department of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Science, University of Tokyo, Hongo, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Curr Genet 33:165-70. 1998..The discovery of CmFAD9 indicates the existence of a novel type of plant delta-9 fatty acid desaturase that may function in the endoplasmic reticulum, but not in the plastid...
- Genetic regulation of unsaturated fatty acid composition in C. elegansTrisha J Brock
Institute of Biological Chemistry, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington, USA
PLoS Genet 2:e108. 2006..We conclude that, like mammals, C. elegans requires adequate synthesis of unsaturated fatty acids and maintains complex regulation of the delta-9 desaturases to achieve optimal fatty acid composition...
- Changes in conjugated linoleic acid and palmitoleic acid are correlated to retinol levels in chronic renal failure in both hemodialysis and conservative treatment patientsLeonardo Lucchi
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Dialysis and Transplantation, University Hospital Modena, Modena, Italy
Artif Organs 29:413-8. 2005..The influence of retinol levels on these fatty acids might be due to an induction of delta 9 desaturase. In fact, 16:1 is known to be produced, partly, by delta 9 desaturation of palmitic acid...
- Fetal bovine serum concentration affects delta9 desaturase activity of Trypanosoma cruziAna L Villasuso
Departamento de Biologia Molecular, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas, Fisico Quimicas y Naturales, Universidad Nacional de Rio Cuarto, CPX5804BYA, Rio Cuarto, Cordoba, Argentina
Lipids 45:275-83. 2010..The results suggest that decreased FBS in culture medium is a signal that modulates (9) desaturase activity in T. cruzi epimastigotes...
- Plasma and erythrocyte fatty acid patterns in patients with recurrent depression: a matched case-control studyJohanna Assies
Program for Mood Disorders, Department of Psychiatry, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 5:e10635. 2010....
- Vaccenic acid and cis-9,trans-11 CLA in the rumen and different tissues of pasture- and concentrate-fed beef cattleXiangzhen Shen
Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing, 210095, China
Lipids 42:1093-103. 2007..There was a linear relationship between the concentration of VA and cis-9,trans-11 CLA and the coefficients of determination (R (2)) varied between 0.29 and 0.87 from rumen to the different tissues...
- Gene expression pattern of functional neuronal cells derived from human bone marrow mesenchymal stromal cellsTatiana Tondreau
Institut Jules Bordet, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Laboratory of Experimental Hematology, 121, Bd de Waterloo, 1000 Brussels, Belgium
BMC Genomics 9:166. 2008..Indeed, many studies have demonstrated that MSC can give rise to neuronal cells as well as many tissue-specific cell phenotypes...
- Stearoyl-CoA desaturase and its relation to high-carbohydrate diets and obesityMatthew T Flowers
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, 433 Babcock Drive, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1791:85-91. 2009..In this review, we address the association of high-carbohydrate diets with increased SCD activity and summarize the current literature on the subject of SCD1 and body weight regulation...
- Responses of Pacific oyster Crassostrea gigas populations to abiotic stress in environmentally contrasted estuaries along the Atlantic coast of FranceElise David
Laboratoire des Sciences de l Environnement Marin LEMAR, UMR CNRS 6539, Institut Universitaire Europeen de la Mer, Universite de Bretagne Occidentale, Place Nicolas Copernic, 29280 Plouzane, France
Aquat Toxicol 109:70-9. 2012..The MT4 gene is a good physiological and genetic marker of stress response and susceptibility...
- Biosynthesis of gamma-linolenic acid and beta-carotene by Zygomycetes fungiTatiana Klempova
Department of Biochemical Technology, Faculty of Chemical and Food Technology, Slovak University of Technology, Bratislava, Slovakia
Biotechnol J 8:794-800. 2013..Such knowledge about fatty acid desaturase activities provides new challenges for the regulation of biotechnological production of PUFAs by Zygomycetes fungi. ..
- Alternative transcripts of fatty acid desaturase (FADS) genesJ Thomas Brenna
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 82:281-5. 2010..We recently reported positive identification of the first alternative transcripts (AT) of fatty acid desaturase 3 (FADS3) and FADS2 in fetal and neonatal baboons...
- Milk fatty acid profile and dairy sheep performance in response to diet supplementation with sunflower oil plus incremental levels of marine algaeP G Toral
Instituto de Ganadería de Montaña CSIC ULE, Finca Marzanas s n 24346 Grulleros, Leon, Spain
J Dairy Sci 93:1655-67. 2010....
- Effect of diet, sex and age on fatty acid metabolism in broiler chickens: SFA and MUFAR Poureslami
Laboratory for Animal Nutrition and Animal Product Quality, Department of Animal Production, Ghent University, Proefhoevestraat 10, 9090 Melle, Belgium
Br J Nutr 104:204-13. 2010..Total ex novo production and beta-oxidation of SFA and MUFA showed a negative and positive curvilinear relationship with net intake of SFA and MUFA, respectively. Sex had no effect on SFA and MUFA metabolism...
- The 51 kDa FADS3 is secreted in the ECM of hepatocytes and blood in ratHélène Blanchard
Laboratoire de Biochimie et Nutrition Humaine, INRA USC 2012, Agrocampus Ouest, F 35042, Rennes, France
J Cell Biochem 115:199-207. 2014The fatty acid desaturase (Fads) cluster is composed of three genes encoding for the Δ5- and Δ6-desaturases and FADS3. The two former proteins are involved in the fatty acid biosynthesis; the latter one shares a high sequence identity ..
- Identification and functional analysis of delta-9 desaturase, a key enzyme in PUFA Synthesis, isolated from the oleaginous diatom FistuliferaMasaki Muto
Division of Biotechnology and Life Science, Institute of Engineering, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, Koganei, Tokyo, Japan JST, CREST, Sanbancho 5, Chiyoda ku, Tokyo, Japan
PLoS ONE 8:e73507. 2013..The findings will provide beneficial insights into applying metabolic engineering processes to suppressing PUFA synthesis in this oleaginous microalgal strain. ..
- Dietary arachidonic acid and docosahexaenoic acid regulate liver fatty acid desaturase (FADS) alternative transcript expression in suckling pigletsVasuki Wijendran
Department of Pediatrics, Massachusetts General Hospital for Children, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 89:345-50. 2013..The objective of the current study was to determine regulation of liver Fads1, Fads2 and Fads3 classical (CS) and alternative transcripts (AT) expression by dietary ARA and DHA, within the physiological range ..
- Intermediate levels of neuronal palmitoyl-protein Delta-9 desaturase in heterozygotes for murine Batten diseaseSrinivas B Narayan
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, 34th Street and Civic Center Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Mol Genet Metab 93:89-91. 2008..This is the first report of a heterozygous abnormality in Batten disease and provides important confirmation that this is the function of the CLN3 protein in neuronal tissues...
- Preliminary safety assessment of a membrane-bound delta 9 desaturase candidate protein for transgenic oilseed cropsKrishna M Madduri
Dow AgroSciences LLC, 9330 Zionsville Road, IN 46268, USA
Food Chem Toxicol 50:3776-84. 2012A gene encoding delta 9 desaturase (D9DS), an integral membrane protein, is being considered for incorporation into oilseed crops to reduce saturated fatty acids and thus improve human nutritional value...
- Modulation of conjugated linoleic acid-induced loss of chicken egg hatchability by dietary soybean oilE Muma
Department of Animal Science, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Poult Sci 85:712-20. 2006..Increased incorporation of dietary linoleic and linolenic acids might have compensated for the reduced levels of palmitoleic and oleic acid, thus allowing for the improvement in hatchability...
- Conjugated linoleic acid differentially regulates fat deposition in backfat and longissimus muscle of finishing pigsZ Y Jiang
Guangdong Public Laboratory of Animal Breeding and Nutrition, Ministry of Agriculture Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition and Feed Science South China, Institute of Animal Science, Guangdong Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Guangzhou, PR China
J Anim Sci 88:1694-705. 2010..These data indicate that dietary CLA regulates fat deposition by affecting adipocyte proliferation, adipocyte differentiation, gene expression, and key metabolic enzymes of lipid metabolism...
- Dimethyl acetals, an indirect marker of the endogenous antioxidant plasmalogen level, are reduced in blood lipids of Sudanese pre-eclamptic subjects whose background diet is high in carbohydrateA A Bueno
Institute of Brain Chemistry and Human Nutrition, London Metropolitan University, UK
J Obstet Gynaecol 32:241-6. 2012..pre-eclampsia is associated with oxidative stress and enhanced activity of the microsomal enzyme stearyl-CoA desaturase (delta 9 desaturase), as assessed by palmitic/palmitoleic (C16:0/C16:n-1) and stearic/oleic (C18/C18:1n-9) ratios.
- Genetic variation in polyunsaturated fatty acid metabolism and its potential relevance for human development and healthClaudia Glaser
Division of Metabolic and Nutritional Medicine, Dr von Hauner Children s Hospital, University of Munich Medical Center, Lindwurmstrasse 4, Munich, Germany
Matern Child Nutr 7:27-40. 2011....
- Dietary long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids upregulate expression of FADS3 transcriptsHolly T Reardon
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 88:15-9. 2013..b>FADS3 is a putative desaturase due to its sequence similarity with FADS1 and FADS2, but its function is unknown...
- In vivo inactivation of the mycobacterial integral membrane stearoyl coenzyme A desaturase DesA3 by a C-terminus-specific degradation processYong Chang
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin Madison, 433 Babcock Drive, Madison, Wisconsin 53706 1549, USA
J Bacteriol 190:6686-96. 2008..Among these, an annotation is known for less than half, underscoring a general lack of understanding of proteins that have only temporal existence in a cell...
- Systemic down-regulation of delta-9 desaturase promotes muscle oxidative metabolism and accelerates muscle function recovery following nerve injuryGhulam Hussain
INSERM, U1118, Mécanismes Centraux et Péripheriques de la Neurodégénérescence, Strasbourg, France
PLoS ONE 8:e64525. 2013..Overall, these findings provide evidence for a new role of SCD1 in modulating the restorative potential of skeletal muscles...
- The role of fatty acid desaturases in epidermal metabolismHarini Sampath
Center for Research on Occupational and Environmental Toxicology Oregon Health and Science University Portland, OR USA
Dermatoendocrinol 3:62-4. 2011..This review will focus on the role of fatty acid desaturases in maintaining epidermal metabolism...
- Conversion of t11t13 CLA into c9t11 CLA in Caco-2 cells and inhibition by sterculic oilAnne Catherine Schneider
Institut des Sciences de la Vie, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Louvain la Neuve, Belgium
PLoS ONE 7:e32824. 2012..This study aimed at investigating to which extent and by which route c9t11 CLA can be produced from another isomer of CLA, the t11t13 CLA that is structurally very similar to c9t11t13 CLnA, in Caco-2 cells...
- Antimycobacterial Activity and Mechanism of Action of NAS-91Paul Gratraud
Laboratoire de Dynamique des Interactions Membranaires Normales et Pathologiques, Université de Montpellier II et I, CNRS, UMR 5235, Case 107, Place Eugene Bataillon, 34095 Montpellier Cedex 05, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:1162-6. 2008..The development of a cell-free assay for Delta 9-desaturase activity allowed direct demonstration of the inhibition of oleic acid biosynthesis by these compounds...
- Direct desaturation of free myristic acid by hen liver microsomal Delta9-desaturase without prior activation to myristoyl-CoA derivativeAziz C Awad
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824 1224, USA
J Agric Food Chem 52:3194-201. 2004....
- Fatty acid profiles of milk and rumen digesta from cows fed fish oil, extruded soybeans or their blendA A AbuGhazaleh
Dairy Science Department, South Dakota State University, Brookings 57007 0647, USA
J Dairy Sci 85:2266-76. 2002....
- Mechanism of fatty acid desaturation: a bioorganic perspectiveB Behrouzian
Department of Chemistry, Carleton University, Ottawa Carleton Chemistry Institute, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, Ont, Canada K1S 5B6
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 68:107-12. 2003..These results point to a common active site architecture which is highly conserved among a wide range of membranous desaturases...
- Maintenance and regulation of mRNA stability of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae OLE1 gene requires multiple elements within the transcript that act through translation-independent mechanismsMuralikrishna Vemula
Division of Life Sciences, Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, Rutgers University, Nelson Laboratories, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854, USA
J Biol Chem 278:45269-79. 2003....
- In vitro thermogenesis and phospholipid fatty acid composition of brown adipose tissue in fasted and refed ratsS K Saha
Department of Physiology I, Asahikawa Medical College School of Medicine, Asahikawa, 078 8510, Japan
Jpn J Physiol 49:345-52. 1999..These results indicate that the modification of phospholipid fatty acid composition, especially the modification of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid DHA, and membrane fluidity are related to BAT thermoregulation in fasted and refed rats...
- A stearoyl-CoA-specific Delta 9 fatty acid desaturase from the basidiomycete Lentinula edodesHiromichi Sakai
Department of Life Science, Graduate School of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 67:2431-7. 2003A gene encoding a Delta 9 fatty acid desaturase (Delta 9-desaturase) was isolated from L. edodes. The open reading frame of this gene (named Le-FAD1) consisted of 1416 bp...
- Fluorescence anisotropy studies of enzyme-substrate complex formation in stearoyl-ACP desaturaseJeffrey A Haas
Department of Biochemistry, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Biochemistry 41:14472-81. 2002..These results indicate that acyl chain length selectivity derives in major part from partition of the enzyme-substrate complex between substrate release and subsequent steps in catalysis...
- Transcriptional co-regulation of Saccharomyces cerevisiae alcohol acetyltransferase gene, ATF1 and delta-9 fatty acid desaturase gene, OLE1 by unsaturated fatty acidsD Fujiwara
Central Laboratories for Key Technology, Kirin Brewery Co Ltd, Kanagawa, Japan
Yeast 14:711-21. 1998..These results suggested that ATF1 transcription was co-regulated by the same mechanism as the OLE1 gene and that unsaturated fatty acids and oxygen repressed the ATF1 transcript by a different regulation pathway...
- Desaturation, chain scission, and register-shift of oxygen-substituted fatty acids during reaction with stearoyl-ACP desaturaseCorina E Rogge
Department of Biochemistry, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Wisconsin, 433 Babcock Drive, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Biochemistry 41:10141-8. 2002..Possible mechanisms of the acyl chain scission and implications of these results for the desaturation mechanism are considered...
- Conjugated linoleic acid differentially modifies fatty acid composition in subcellular fractions of muscle and adipose tissue but not adiposity of postweaning pigsScott R Demaree
Department of Animal Science, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843, USA
J Nutr 132:3272-9. 2002..Thus, in spite of marked effects on fatty acid composition and the Delta(9) desaturase index, CLA had no effect on adiposity in early weaned piglets fed high fat diets...
- Expression and regulation of the SCD2 desaturase in the rat ovaryCeline Moreau
Unite de Physiologie de la Reproduction et des Comportements, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, 37380 Nouzilly, France
Biol Reprod 74:75-87. 2006..Western blot analyses the mRNA and protein expression of SCD2 (stearoyl-coenzyme A desaturase 2; also named delta 9 desaturase) in rat ovary...
- Response of the Pacific oyster Crassostrea gigas to hypoxia exposure under experimental conditionsElise David
Laboratoire des Sciences de l Environnement Marin LEMAR, Institut Universitaire Europeen de la Mer, Universite de Bretagne Occidentale, Plouzane, France
FEBS J 272:5635-52. 2005..This study contributes to the characterization of many potential genetic markers that could be used in future environmental monitoring, and could lead to explore new mechanisms of stress tolerance in marine mollusc species...
- Alzheimer's disease through the eye of a mouse. Acceptance lecture for the 2001 Gayle A. Olson and Richard D. Olson prizeJohn E Morley
Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center GRECC, VA Medical Center, St Louis, MO, USA
Peptides 23:589-99. 2002..This decreased cholinergic activity results in a decreased ability of the P8 mouse to learn and retain new information...
- Comparison of different DNA-based methods for molecular typing of Histoplasma capsulatumMauro de Medeiros Muniz
Setor de Imunodiagnóstico do Laboratório de Micologia do Instituto de Pesquisa Clínica Evandro Chagas, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Av Brasil 4365, Manguinhos, Rio de Janeiro 21045 900, Brazil
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:4438-47. 2010....
- Saturated fatty acid metabolism is key link between cell division, cancer, and senescence in cellular and whole organism agingJudith H Ford
Rural health and community engagement, University of South Australia, GPO Box 2471, Adelaide 5001, Australia
Age (Dordr) 32:231-7. 2010..Healthy longevity is likely to be most enhanced by factors that actively suppress excessive cell division...
- A comparison between Holstein-Friesian and Jersey dairy cows and their F(1) hybrid on milk fatty acid composition under grazing conditionsR A Palladino
School of Agriculture, Food Science and Veterinary Medicine, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland
J Dairy Sci 93:2176-84. 2010..In conclusion, there was little evidence for either breed or beneficial heterotic effects on milk FA content with human health-promoting potential, though significant within-breed, interanimal variation was observed...
- Genetic determinants of circulating sphingolipid concentrations in European populationsAndrew A Hicks
Institute of Genetic Medicine, European Academy Bozen Bolzano EURAC, Bolzano, Italy
PLoS Genet 5:e1000672. 2009..Variants in 3 loci (ATP10D, FADS3, and SPTLC3) associate with MI in a series of three German MI studies...
- Fish oil in feeds for entire male and female pigs: changes in muscle fatty acid composition and stability of sensory qualityE Hallenstvedt
Felleskjøpet Fôrutvikling, Bromstadveien 57, N 7005 Trondheim, Norway
Meat Sci 85:182-90. 2010..The results suggest levels of dietary fish oil up to 0.5% produce a healthier meat fatty acid composition, without negative effects on sensory attributes, even in long-termed stored belly...
- A multiplexed cell assay in HepG2 cells for the identification of delta-5, delta-6, and delta-9 desaturase and elongase inhibitorsLei Zhang
Merck Frosst Center for Therapeutic Research, Montreal, Canada
J Biomol Screen 15:169-76. 2010..1 microM and 0.9 microM, respectively. This medium-throughput cell assay provides an efficient tool in the identification of specific desaturase and elongase inhibitors...
- The membrane proteins, Spt23p and Mga2p, play distinct roles in the activation of Saccharomyces cerevisiae OLE1 gene expression. Fatty acid-mediated regulation of Mga2p activity is independent of its proteolytic processing into a soluble transcription actR Chellappa
Division of Life Sciences and the Bureau of Biological Research, Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854, USA
J Biol Chem 276:43548-56. 2001..The fatty acid repression of transcription under those conditions is attenuated by Spt23Deltatm, however, suggesting that the two proteins may interact to modulate OLE1 gene expression...
- The role of polyunsaturated fatty acids in restoring the aging neuronal membraneShlomo Yehuda
Psychopharmacology Laboratory, Department of Psychology, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan 52900, Israel
Neurobiol Aging 23:843-53. 2002..A central focus of this review is that a specific ratio of n-3/n-6 PUFA can restore many of these age-related effects...
- Lower estimates of delta-5 desaturase and elongase activity are related to adverse profiles for several metabolic risk factors in young Japanese womenKentaro Murakami
Department of Social and Preventive Epidemiology, School of Public Health, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Nutr Res 28:816-24. 2008....
- Flaxseed supplementation improves fatty acid profile of cow milkM Caroprese
Dipartimento PRIME, Universita di Foggia, Via Napoli 25, 71100 Foggia, Italy
J Dairy Sci 93:2580-8. 2010..In conclusion, flaxseed supplementation improves composition and nutritional properties of milk from cows milked during times of high ambient temperature...
- Dietary docosahexaenoic acid affects stearic acid desaturation in spontaneously hypertensive ratsM M Engler
Laboratory of Cardiovascular Physiology, Department of Physiological Nursing, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0610, USA
Lipids 35:1011-5. 2000..The alterations in fatty acid composition and metabolism may contribute to the antihypertensive effect of DHA previously reported...
- Manipulation of body fat composition with sterculic acid can inhibit mammary carcinomas in vivoD E Khoo
Academic Department of Surgery, Royal Free Hospital, London, UK
Br J Cancer 63:97-101. 1991..001). A rise in the stearic:oleic acid ratio of tumours was observed in rats treated for only 16 days with sterculic acid. Manipulation of the tissue stearic:oleic acid ratio inhibits transplanted mammary tumour growth in rats...
- Prenatal and postnatal transfer of fatty acids from mother to pup in the hooded sealS J Iverson
Canadian Institute of Fisheries Technology, Technical University of Nova Scotia, Halifax
J Comp Physiol B 165:1-12. 1995..Ingested fatty acids were deposited directly and without modification into the blubber of pups, and by 4 days the fatty acid composition of pup blubber was virtually identical to that of the milk consumed...
- A novel cytochrome b5-like domain is linked to the carboxyl terminus of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae delta-9 fatty acid desaturaseA G Mitchell
Department of Biological Sciences, Rutgers University, Nelson Laboratories, Piscataway, New Jersey 08855 1059, USA
J Biol Chem 270:29766-72. 1995....
- A temperature-sensitive strain of Histoplasma capsulatum has an altered delta 9-fatty acid desaturase geneS Gargano
International Institute of Genetics and Biophysics, CNR, Naples, Italy
Lipids 30:899-906. 1995..The differential expression of delta 9-desaturase genes is discussed in relationship to differences in thermosensitivity in the fungal isolates and in regulating the level of expression of heat shock genes...
- Fatty acid-responsive control of mRNA stability. Unsaturated fatty acid-induced degradation of the Saccharomyces OLE1 transcriptC I Gonzalez
Department of Biological Sciences and the Bureau of Biological Research, Nelson Laboratories, Piscataway, New Jersey 08855 1059, USA
J Biol Chem 271:25801-9. 1996....
- Fah1p, a Saccharomyces cerevisiae cytochrome b5 fusion protein, and its Arabidopsis thaliana homolog that lacks the cytochrome b5 domain both function in the alpha-hydroxylation of sphingolipid-associated very long chain fatty acidsA G Mitchell
Department of Biological Sciences and the Bureau of Biological Research, Rutgers University, Nelson Laboratories, P O Box 1059, Piscataway, New Jersey 08855 1059, USA
J Biol Chem 272:28281-8. 1997....
- Degradation of hepatic stearyl CoA delta 9-desaturaseJ Ozols
Department of Biochemistry, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington 06030, USA
Mol Biol Cell 8:2281-90. 1997....
- Association analyses of single nucleotide polymorphisms in bovine stearoyl-CoA desaturase and fatty acid synthase genes with fatty acid composition in commercial cross-bred beef steersC Li
Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Lacombe Research Centre, 6000 C and E Trail, Lacombe, Alberta, Canada
Anim Genet 43:93-7. 2012..05). These results further suggest that SCD and FASN are strong candidate genes influencing fatty acid composition in beef cattle...
- The polypyrimidine tract binding protein regulates desaturase alternative splicing and PUFA compositionHolly T Reardon
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Lipid Res 52:2279-86. 2011..In HepG2 cells, PTB knockdown modulated alternative splicing of FADS2, as well as FADS3, a putative desaturase of unknown function...
- Plasma fatty acids profile and estimated elongase and desaturases activities in Tunisian patients with the metabolic syndromeM M Sethom
UR05 08 08 and LR99ES11, Department of Biochemistry, Rabta Hospital and Faculty of Medicine of Tunis, El Manar University, Tunis, Tunisia
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 85:137-41. 2011..Saturated and monounsaturated fatty acids levels and delta 9 desaturase activity were increased, but polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) levels and delta 5 desaturase activity were ..
- cDNA cloning of acyl-CoA desaturase homologs in the silkworm, Bombyx moriT Yoshiga
Laboratory of Molecular Entomology and Baculovirology, RIKEN, Hirosawa 2 1, Wako, Saitama, Japan
Gene 246:339-45. 2000..mori...
- A delta 9 desaturase gene with a different substrate specificity is responsible for the cuticular diene hydrocarbon polymorphism in Drosophila melanogasterR Dallerac
Universite Paris Sud, Unité Mixte de Recherche 8620, Neurobiologie et Apprentissage de la Mémoire et de la Communication, Orsa, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:9449-54. 2000..We suggest, therefore, that desat2 might play a control role in the biosynthesis of 5,9 HD hydrocarbons in Tai females and could explain the dienic hydrocarbon polymorphism in D. melanogaster...
- FADS gene polymorphisms in Koreans: association with ω6 polyunsaturated fatty acids in serum phospholipids, lipid peroxides, and coronary artery diseaseJung Hyun Kwak
Interdisciplinary Course of Science for Aging, Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea
Atherosclerosis 214:94-100. 2011..We investigated the association of polymorphisms in FADS genes with polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) in serum phospholipids, lipid peroxides, and coronary artery disease (CAD) in Koreans...
- FADS genetic variants and omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acid metabolism in a homogeneous island populationRasika A Mathias
Division of General Internal Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Lipid Res 51:2766-74. 2010....
- Alterations in serum fatty acid concentrations and desaturase activities in Bietti crystalline dystrophy unaffected by CYP4V2 genotypesTimothy Y Y Lai
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:1092-7. 2010..To evaluate the serum fatty acid changes in Chinese patients with Bietti crystalline dystrophy (BCD) in association with CYP4V2 mutation...
- Yeast desaturasesC E Martin
Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, Bureau of Biological Research, Rutgers University, Nelson Laboratories, 604 Allison Road, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Biochem Soc Trans 30:1080-2. 2002..Surprisingly, Mga2p also plays a critical role in controlling OLE1 mRNA stability, suggesting that there may be a functional linkage between OLE1 transcription and the regulation of OLE1 mRNA stability...
- The fatty acid desaturase 3 gene encodes for different FADS3 protein isoforms in mammalian tissuesFrederique Pedrono
Laboratoire de Biochimie et Nutrition Humaine, USC INRA 2012, Agrocampus Ouest, Rennes, France
J Lipid Res 51:472-9. 2010..A third gene, named FADS3, has recently been identified but no functional role has yet been attributed to the putative FADS3 protein...
- Variation of Delta 9-desaturase activity in dairy cattleH Soyeurt
Gembloux Agricultural University, Animal Science Unit, B 5030 Gembloux, Belgium
J Dairy Sci 91:3211-24. 2008..The positive genetic correlations observed between %MONO and the ratios of C14:1 cis-9 to C14:0 (0.72), C16:1 cis-9 to C16:0 (0.62), and C18:1 cis to C18:0 (0.97) showed that %MONO is linked to the Delta(9)-desaturase activity...
- Alterations in the oxidation products, antioxidant markers, antioxidant capacity and lipid patterns in plasma of patients affected by Papillon-Lefèvre syndromeMaurizio Battino
Institute of Biochemistry, University of Ancona, Via Ranieri, 65, 60100 Ancona, Italy
Free Radic Res 37:603-9. 2003..This finding would support the hypothesisby Gutteridge and co-workers (Free Radic. Res. 1998, 28: 109-114) that conditions exist in which some forms of oxidative stress can lead to changes characteristic of EFAD...
- Cobalt supplied per os reduces the mammary Delta9-desaturase index of bovine milkO Taugbøl
Department of Animal and Aquaculture Sciences, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, 1432 As, Norway
J Anim Sci 86:3062-8. 2008..On the basis of these results, we concluded that Co given per os decreased the Delta(9)-desaturase indices of bovine milk...
- Role of stearoyl-coenzyme A desaturase in regulating lipid metabolismMatthew T Flowers
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Curr Opin Lipidol 19:248-56. 2008..This review evaluates the latest advances in our understanding of the pivotal role of stearoyl-coenzyme A desaturase 1 in health and disease...
- Effects of dietary cis 9, trans 11-18:2, trans 10, cis 12-18:2, or vaccenic acid (trans 11-18:1) during lactation on body composition, tissue fatty acid profiles, and litter growth in miceJuan J Loor
Dairy Science Department, Virginia Tech Unicersity, Blacksburg, 24061 0315, USA
Br J Nutr 90:1039-48. 2003..Although these effects need to be confirmed in lactating women, the results suggest that the consumption of supplements containing t10, c12-18:2 should be avoided during the nursing period...
- Endogenous synthesis of cis-9, trans-11 conjugated linoleic acid in dairy cows fed fresh pastureJ K Kay
Dexcel Ltd, Private Bag 3221, Hamilton, New Zealand
J Dairy Sci 87:369-78. 2004..However, the failure of plant oil supplements to increase the concentration of cis-9, trans-11 CLA in milk fat from pasture-fed cows requires further investigation...
- Lou/C obesity-resistant rat exhibits hyperactivity, hypermetabolism, alterations in white adipose tissue cellularity, and lipid tissue profilesChristophe Soulage
Universite de Lyon 1, Lyon, France
Endocrinology 149:615-25. 2008....
- Dietary conjugated linoleic acid decreases adipocyte size and favorably modifies adipokine status and insulin sensitivity in obese, insulin-resistant ratsAmy Noto
Department of Human Nutritional Sciences, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Metabolism 56:1601-11. 2007..In conclusion, CLA reduced adipocyte size and favorably modified adipokine status and insulin sensitivity in fa/fa Zucker rats...
- A coupled dinuclear iron cluster that is perturbed by substrate binding in myo-inositol oxygenaseGang Xing
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
Biochemistry 45:5393-401. 2006....
- N-3 long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids: a nutritional tool to prevent insulin resistance associated to type 2 diabetes and obesity?Jacques Delarue
EA 948 Oxylipides, Faculte de Medecine, 29200 Brest, France
Reprod Nutr Dev 44:289-99. 2004..This last effect results on the one hand, from a decreased expression of lipogenesis enzymes and of delta 9 desaturase (via a depleting effect on sterol response element binding protein 1c (SREBP-1c)...
- Characterization of HSCD5, a novel human stearoyl-CoA desaturase unique to primatesJian Wang
Cardiovascular Division, Lilly Research Labs, Eli Lilly and Company, DC 0343, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 332:735-42. 2005..Microsome fractions prepared from hSCD1 and hSCD5 transfected cells displayed similar delta 9 desaturase activity...
- Regulation of desaturase expression in HL60 cellsJ E Slagsvold
Department of Medical Biochemistry, St Olav s Hospital HF, Trondheim, Norway
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 67:632-42. 2007The expression of delta 5 desaturase (D5D), delta 6 desaturase (D6D) and delta 9 desaturase (D9D) was determined by RT-PCR in the human promyelocytic cell line HL60...
- Stereochemistry of Delta4 dehydrogenation catalyzed by an ivy (Hedera helix) Delta9 desaturase homologAmy E Tremblay
Department of Chemistry, Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Org Biomol Chem 5:1270-5. 2007..These data show that despite the difference in regioselectivity between the two enzymes, the stereochemistry of hydrogen removal is conserved...
- Regulation of long chain unsaturated fatty acid synthesis in yeastCharles E Martin
Rutgers University, Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, Nelson Laboratories, 604 Allison Road, Piscataway, NJ 08854 8082, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1771:271-85. 2007..OLE1 is regulated through Spt23p and Mga2p by multiple systems that control its transcription and mRNA stability in response to diverse stimuli that include nutrient fatty acids, carbon source, metal ions and the availability of oxygen...
- REGULATION OF FATTY ACID METABOLISMCharles Martin; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Molecular and Cellular Biology of LipidsCharles Martin; Fiscal Year: 2007..Proper facilities are available to accommodate handicapped individuals who will be considered equally in the selection of attendees and speakers. ..
- DIETARY ESSENTIAL FATTY ACID ACCUMULATION IN RETINAJAMES BRENNA; Fiscal Year: 2002..Sub-normal development will be directly revealed via functional tests to assess the impact of low omega-3 fatty acid status on develop of vision acid status on development of vision and related health parameters. ..
- PRECISE ISOTOPE RATIO CHROMATOGRAPHY AND STABLE TRACERSJAMES BRENNA; Fiscal Year: 2004..The successful accomplishment of these plans will yield new tools and experimental approaches for investigation of the impact of developmental factors and recent physiological history on development of chronic disease. ..
- Prostate Cancer: A Mouse Model Testing 15-Lipoxygenase-1Uddhav Kelavkar; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Lipidomics Session ISSFAL 2006JAMES BRENNA; Fiscal Year: 2006..ISSFAL 2006 is expected to be among the most important international lipid metabolism conferences of the year, and a lipidomics symposium is timely given the increasing progress in this area. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- LCPUFA Status and Birth Outcome in IndiaJAMES BRENNA; Fiscal Year: 2007..Positive results would justify an intervention studies to include LCPUFA in the diets of pregnant women in developed and developing countries. ..
- Gas phase derivatization for lipidomic MS analysisJAMES BRENNA; Fiscal Year: 2007....