Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: FABP1
Description: fatty acid binding protein 1
Alias: FABPL, L-FABP, fatty acid-binding protein, liver, fatty acid binding protein 1, liver, liver-type fatty acid-binding protein
Publications119 found, 100 shown here
- Tölle A, Jung M, Lein M, Johannsen M, Miller K, Moch H, et al. Brain-type and liver-type fatty acid-binding proteins: new tumor markers for renal cancer?. BMC Cancer. 2009;9:248 pubmed publisher..Further studies should identify the role of both FABPs in carcinogenesis, progression and with regard to a potential target in RCC. ..
- Przybylowski P, Koc Zorawska E, Malyszko J, Kozlowska S, Mysliwiec M, Malyszko J. Liver fatty-acid-binding protein in heart and kidney allograft recipients in relation to kidney function. Transplant Proc. 2011;43:3064-7 pubmed publisher..In contrast, in kidney allograft recipients, L-FABP may be a potential early marker for impaired kidney function/injury. ..
- Perfilyev A, Dahlman I, Gillberg L, Rosqvist F, Iggman D, Volkov P, et al. Impact of polyunsaturated and saturated fat overfeeding on the DNA-methylation pattern in human adipose tissue: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;105:991-1000 pubmed publisher..the 2 diet groups were combined, the mean methylation of 1444 genes, including fatty acid binding protein 1 (FABP1), fatty acid binding protein 2 (FABP2), melanocortin 2 receptor (MC2R), MC3R, PPARG ..
- Tanaka N, Takahashi S, Hu X, Lu Y, Fujimori N, Golla S, et al. Growth arrest and DNA damage-inducible 45α protects against nonalcoholic steatohepatitis induced by methionine- and choline-deficient diet. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Basis Dis. 2017;1863:3170-3182 pubmed publisher..acid-diacylglycerol cycle, and decreased mRNAs encoding fatty acid (FA)-binding protein 1 (Fabp1) and FA transport protein 5...
- Madureira T, Malhão F, Simões T, Pinheiro I, Lopes C, Gonçalves J, et al. Sex-steroids and hypolipidemic chemicals impacts on brown trout lipid and peroxisome signaling - Molecular, biochemical and morphological insights. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2018;212:1-17 pubmed publisher..acyl-CoA oxidase 1-3I (Acox1-3I), Acox3, PPAR?, catalase (Cat), urate oxidase (Uox), fatty acid binding protein 1 (Fabp1) and apolipoprotein AI (ApoAI) were down-regulated...
- Gonçalves D, Lira F, Yamashita A, Carnevali Junior L, Eder R, Laviano A, et al. Liver lipid metabolism disruption in cancer cachexia is aggravated by cla supplementation -induced inflammation. Clin Nutr. 2018;: pubmed publisher..CLA supplementation fails to promote the re-establishment of hepatic lipid metabolism in tumour-bearing animals, and therefore is not recommended in cancer-related cachexia. ..
- Zhang H, Wen J, Zhang Y, Limbu S, Du Z, Qin J, et al. Forskolin reduces fat accumulation in Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) through stimulating lipolysis and beta-oxidation. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2019;230:7-15 pubmed publisher..kinase cAMP-activated catalytic subunit, PKAC) and β-oxidation genes (PPARα; fatty acid binding protein 1, FABP1; and CPT1) in the adipose were up-regulated...
- Atshaves B, McIntosh A, Martin G, Landrock D, Payne H, Bhuvanendran S, et al. Overexpression of sterol carrier protein-2 differentially alters hepatic cholesterol accumulation in cholesterol-fed mice. J Lipid Res. 2009;50:1429-47 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings support an important role for SCP-2 in hepatic cholesterol homeostasis...
- Zhang H, Li Y, Hu J, Shen W, Singh M, Hou X, et al. Effect of Creosote Bush-Derived NDGA on Expression of Genes Involved in Lipid Metabolism in Liver of High-Fructose Fed Rats: Relevance to NDGA Amelioration of Hypertriglyceridemia and Hepatic Steatosis. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0138203 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that NDGA ameliorates hypertriglyceridemia and hepatic steatosis primarily by interfering with lipogenesis and promoting increased channeling of fatty acids towards their oxidation. ..
- Asimakopoulou A, Fulop A, Borkham Kamphorst E, de Leur E, Gassler N, Berger T, et al. Altered mitochondrial and peroxisomal integrity in lipocalin-2-deficient mice with hepatic steatosis. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Basis Dis. 2017;1863:2093-2110 pubmed publisher..Thus, LCN2 influences peroxisomal and mitochondrial biology in the liver to maintain triglyceride balance, handle oxidative stress, and control apoptosis. ..
- Basu R, Kaddourah A, Terrell T, Mottes T, ARNOLD P, Jacobs J, et al. Assessment of Worldwide Acute Kidney Injury, Renal Angina and Epidemiology in critically ill children (AWARE): study protocol for a prospective observational study. BMC Nephrol. 2015;16:24 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov: NCT01987921. ..
- Abdelrahman A, Al Suleimani Y, Shalaby A, Ashique M, Manoj P, Nemmar A, et al. Effect of canagliflozin, a sodium glucose co-transporter 2 inhibitor, on cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in mice. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 2019;392:45-53 pubmed publisher..Our results show that administration of canagliflozin reversed the biochemical and histopathological indices of CP-induced nephrotoxicity in mice. ..
- Wu F, Dong X, Li Y, Zhao Y, Xu Q, Su L. Identification of phosphorylated MYL12B as a potential plasma biomarker for septic acute kidney injury using a quantitative proteomic approach. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2015;8:14409-16 pubmed..Taking together, phosphorylated MYL12B may be employed as a potential plasma biomarker for the early diagnosis of SAKI. ..
- Scott N, Ellmers L, Pilbrow A, Thomsen L, Richards A, Frampton C, et al. Metabolic and Blood Pressure Effects of Walnut Supplementation in a Mouse Model of the Metabolic Syndrome. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..walnuts were associated with significantly increased liver expression of genes associated with metabolism (Fabp1, Insr), cell stress (Atf6, Ddit3, Eif2ak3), fibrosis (Hgf, Sp1, ..
- Fan G, Qiao Y, Gao S, Guo J, Zhao R, Yang X. Effects of Zinc Alpha2 Glycoprotein on Lipid Metabolism of Liver in High-Fat Diet-Induced Obese Mice. Horm Metab Res. 2017;49:793-800 pubmed publisher..In HFZ group, hepatic fatty acid translocase (CD36) and fatty acids binding protein-1 (FABP1) protein levels were reduced...
- Klipsic D, Landrock D, Martin G, McIntosh A, Landrock K, Mackie J, et al. Impact of SCP-2/SCP-x gene ablation and dietary cholesterol on hepatic lipid accumulation. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2015;309:G387-99 pubmed publisher..These alterations are significant findings, since they affect key processes in regulation of sterol metabolism. ..
- Zhang Y, Liu K, Hassan H, Guo H, Ding P, Han L, et al. Liver Fatty Acid Binding Protein Deficiency Provokes Oxidative Stress, Inflammation, and Apoptosis-Mediated Hepatotoxicity Induced by Pyrazinamide in Zebrafish Larvae. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016;60:7347-7356 pubmed
- Madureira T, Pinheiro I, Malhão F, Lopes C, Urbatzka R, Castro L, et al. Cross-interference of two model peroxisome proliferators in peroxisomal and estrogenic pathways in brown trout hepatocytes. Aquat Toxicol. 2017;187:153-162 pubmed publisher..analysis of peroxisome/lipidic related genes (encoding apolipoprotein AI - ApoAI, fatty acid binding protein 1 - Fabp1, catalase - Cat, 17 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase 4 - 17?-HSD4, peroxin 11 alpha - Pex11?, PPAR?Bb, PPAR?Ba ..
- Alix Panabières C, Cayrefourcq L, Mazard T, Maudelonde T, Assenat E, Assou S. Molecular Portrait of Metastasis-Competent Circulating Tumor Cells in Colon Cancer Reveals the Crucial Role of Genes Regulating Energy Metabolism and DNA Repair. Clin Chem. 2017;63:700-713 pubmed publisher..peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ coactivator 1B (PPARGC1B), fatty acid binding protein 1 (FABP1), aldehyde dehydrogenase 3 family member A1 (ALDH3A1)], DNA repair [BRCA1 interacting protein C-..
- Huang J, Tang X, Ruan J, Ma H, Zou S. Use of comparative proteomics to identify key proteins related to hepatic lipid metabolism in broiler chickens: evidence accounting for differential fat deposition between strains. Lipids. 2010;45:81-9 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest that the lipid metabolic proteins and enzymes are inherent characteristics that contribute to the apparent differences in fat deposition between the two strains. ..
- BayÄ±r M, BayÄ±r A, Wright J. Divergent spatial regulation of duplicated fatty acid-binding protein (fabp) genes in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Comp Biochem Physiol Part D Genomics Proteomics. 2015;14:26-32 pubmed publisher..in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss), which include the complete minimal suite of seven distinct fabp genes (fabp1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 10 and 11) discovered thus far in teleost fishes...
- Ergin B, Guerci P, Zafrani L, Nocken F, Kandil A, Gurel Gurevin E, et al. Effects of N-acetylcysteine (NAC) supplementation in resuscitation fluids on renal microcirculatory oxygenation, inflammation, and function in a rat model of endotoxemia. Intensive Care Med Exp. 2016;4:29 pubmed publisher..Decreases in renal NO and hyaluronic acid levels may be involved in this beneficial effect. A therapeutic strategy combining initial fluid resuscitation with antioxidant therapies may prevent sepsis-induced AKI. ..
- Baek J, Zhang X, Williams M, Hicks W, Buehler P, D Agnillo F. Sodium nitrite potentiates renal oxidative stress and injury in hemoglobin exposed guinea pigs. Toxicology. 2015;333:89-99 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest that the exposure to NaNO2 in settings associated with increased extracellular Hb may potentiate acute renal toxicity via processes that are independent of NaNO2 induced erythrocyte methemoglobinemia. ..
- Xu J, Cortellino S, Tricarico R, Chang W, Scher G, Devarajan K, et al. Thymine DNA Glycosylase (TDG) is involved in the pathogenesis of intestinal tumors with reduced APC expression. Oncotarget. 2017;8:89988-89997 pubmed publisher..Mice bearing a conditional Tdgflox allele were crossed with Fabpl::Cre transgenic mice, in the context of the ApcMin mutation, in order to inactivate TdgChouinard Watkins R, Pinçon A, Coulombe J, Spencer R, Massenavette L, Plourde M. A Diet Rich in Docosahexaenoic Acid Restores Liver Arachidonic Acid and Docosahexaenoic Acid Concentrations in Mice Homozygous for the Human Apolipoprotein E ?4 Allele. J Nutr. 2016;146:1315-21 pubmed publisher..002, respectively) and a trend toward an interaction for liver expression of fatty acid binding protein 1 (FABP1) (P-interaction = 0.05)...Hirata M, Tashiro Y, Aizawa K, Kawasaki R, Shimonaka Y, Endo K. Epoetin beta pegol alleviates oxidative stress and exacerbation of renal damage from iron deposition, thereby delaying CKD progression in progressive glomerulonephritis rats. Physiol Rep. 2015;3: pubmed publisher..Alleviation by CERA of the exacerbation of kidney damage could be attributable to mitigation of tubular damage that might occur with lowered iron deposition in tubules. ..Zhang Y, Kallenberg C, Hyatt H, Kavazis A, Hood W. Change in the Lipid Transport Capacity of the Liver and Blood during Reproduction in Rats. Front Physiol. 2017;8:517 pubmed publisher..Liver lipid secretion is up-regulated during gestation but not during lactation. These data supported the plasticity of lipid transport capacities in liver and blood during reproductive stages. ..Stan S, Lambert M, Delvin E, Paradis G, O Loughlin J, Hanley J, et al. Intestinal fatty acid binding protein and microsomal triglyceride transfer protein polymorphisms in French-Canadian youth. J Lipid Res. 2005;46:320-7 pubmedMatsui K, Kamijo Ikemori A, Hara M, Sugaya T, Kodama T, Fujitani S, et al. Clinical significance of tubular and podocyte biomarkers in acute kidney injury. Clin Exp Nephrol. 2011;15:220-5 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that L-FABP is a useful biomarker for early detection of AKI and that podocyte injury was induced during the recovery phase of AKI. ..Zabaneh D, Kumari M, Sandhu M, Wareham N, Wainwright N, Papamarkou T, et al. Meta analysis of candidate gene variants outside the LPA locus with Lp(a) plasma levels in 14,500 participants of six White European cohorts. Atherosclerosis. 2011;217:447-51 pubmed publisher..locus (where p values for several SNPs were <10(-30)) there was significant association at four loci GALNT2, FABP1, PPARGC1A and TNFRSFF11A. However, a meta-analysis of the six studies did not confirm any of these findings...Kaddourah A, Goldstein S, Basu R, Nehus E, Terrell T, Brunner L, et al. Novel urinary tubular injury markers reveal an evidence of underlying kidney injury in children with reduced left ventricular systolic function: a pilot study. Pediatr Nephrol. 2016;31:1637-45 pubmed publisher..TIM in conjunction with other cardiac function markers may be utilized to distinguish asymptomatic children with DCM and moderate or worse LV dysfunction (LFEV?<?45 %) from those with mild LV dysfunction (55?>?LVEF???45 %). ..Parikh C, Puthumana J, Shlipak M, Koyner J, Thiessen Philbrook H, McArthur E, et al. Relationship of Kidney Injury Biomarkers with Long-Term Cardiovascular Outcomes after Cardiac Surgery. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017;28:3699-3707 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that clinical AKI at the time of cardiac surgery is indicative of concurrent CV stress rather than an independent renal pathway for long-term adverse CV outcomes. ..Long D, Yang D. Buffer interference with protein dynamics: a case study on human liver fatty acid binding protein. Biophys J. 2009;96:1482-8 pubmed publisher..Although being a fortuity, our finding of buffer-induced changes in protein dynamics offers a clue to how hLFABP accommodates its ligands. ..Ku C, Liu Y, Lin H, Lu S, Lin J. Liver fatty acid-binding protein (L-FABP) promotes cellular angiogenesis and migration in hepatocellular carcinoma. Oncotarget. 2016;7:18229-46 pubmed publisher..Our results thus suggest that L-FABP could be a potential target for HCC chemotherapy. ..Pickering J, Endre Z. Bench to bedside: the next steps for biomarkers in acute kidney injury. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2016;311:F717-F721 pubmed publisher..Ideally, such treatments will be linked directly to the physiological processes, which the biomarker identifies. ..Milligan S, Martin G, Landrock D, McIntosh A, Mackie J, Schroeder F, et al. Ablating both Fabp1 and Scp2/Scpx (TKO) induces hepatic phospholipid and cholesterol accumulation in high fat-fed mice. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Biol Lipids. 2018;1863:323-338 pubmed publisherAlthough singly ablating Fabp1 or Scp2/Scpx genes may exacerbate the impact of high fat diet (HFD) on whole body phenotype and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), concomitant upregulation of the non-ablated gene, preference for ad ..Mansego M, Martinez F, Martinez Larrad M, Zabena C, Rojo G, Morcillo S, et al. Common variants of the liver fatty acid binding protein gene influence the risk of type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance in Spanish population. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e31853 pubmed publisherThe main objective was to evaluate the association between SNPs and haplotypes of the FABP1-4 genes and type 2 diabetes, as well as its interaction with fat intake, in one general Spanish population...Jiang Z, Shen H, Tang B, Yu Q, Ji X, Wang L. Quantitative proteomic analysis reveals that proteins required for fatty acid metabolism may serve as diagnostic markers for gastric cancer. Clin Chim Acta. 2017;464:148-154 pubmed publisher..Coexpression of fatty acid binding protein (FABP1) and fatty acid synthase (FASN) in gastric cancer tissues (61.4% sensitivity and 77...Wang G, Burczynski F, Anderson J, Zhong G. Effect of host fatty acid-binding protein and fatty acid uptake on growth of Chlamydia trachomatis L2. Microbiology. 2007;153:1935-9 pubmed..These results have demonstrated that C. trachomatis can productively infect liver cells and utilize FABP-transported LCFA for its own biosynthesis. ..Akbal E, Koklu S, Kocak E, Cakal B, Güneş F, Basar O, et al. Liver fatty acid-binding protein is a diagnostic marker to detect liver injury due to chronic hepatitis C infection. Arch Med Res. 2013;44:34-8 pubmed publisher..Positive and negative predictive values for L-FABP were 100 and 78%, respectively. Serum L-FABP is used as a new diagnostic marker to detect liver injury. ..GÃ¼neÅŸ A, Ece A, Aktar F, Tan Ä, SÃ¶ker M, Karabel D, et al. Urinary Kidney Injury Molecules in Children with Iron-Deficiency Anemia. Med Sci Monit. 2015;21:4023-9 pubmed..05). Higher urinary kidney injury molecule levels in IDA patients suggest a possible subclinical renal injury in pediatric IDA patients whose renal functions and serum electrolytes were normal. ..Hisamichi M, Kamijo Ikemori A, Sugaya T, Hoshino S, Kimura K, Shibagaki Y. Role of bardoxolone methyl, a nuclear factor erythroid 2-related factor 2 activator, in aldosterone- and salt-induced renal injury. Hypertens Res. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Urinary L-FABP may be a useful marker reflecting the therapeutic efficacy of BM.Hypertension Research advance online publication, 5 October 2017; doi:10.1038/hr.2017.83...Glatz J, Borchers T, Spener F, Van der Vusse G. Fatty acids in cell signalling: modulation by lipid binding proteins. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 1995;52:121-7 pubmed..In this paper a survey is given on the biological significance and possible modulatory action of intracellular lipid binding proteins for fatty acid-mediated signal transduction pathways. ..Malyszko J, Lukaszyk E, Glowinska I, Durlik M. Biomarkers of delayed graft function as a form of acute kidney injury in kidney transplantation. Sci Rep. 2015;5:11684 pubmed publisher..However, large randomized studies are needed to establish the value of new, promising biomarkers, in DGF diagnosis, prognosis and its cost-effectiveness. ..Newberry E, Kennedy S, Xie Y, Luo J, Jiang H, Ory D, et al. Phenotypic divergence in two lines of L-Fabp-/- mice reflects substrain differences and environmental modifiers. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2015;309:G648-61 pubmed publisher..Dense mapping revealed no evidence of unintended targeting, duplications, or deletions surrounding the Fabp1 locus in either line and only minor differences in mRNA expression of genes located near the targeted allele...Panduru N, Forsblom C, Saraheimo M, Thorn L, Gordin D, Elonen N, et al. Urinary liver-type fatty acid binding protein is an independent predictor of stroke and mortality in individuals with type 1 diabetes. Diabetologia. 2017;60:1782-1790 pubmed publisher..Urinary L-FABP is an independent predictor of stroke and mortality in individuals with type 1 diabetes. ..Martin G, Landrock D, Chung S, Dangott L, McIntosh A, Mackie J, et al. Loss of fatty acid binding protein-1 alters the hepatic endocannabinoid system response to a high-fat diet. J Lipid Res. 2017;58:2114-2126 pubmed publisher..In pair-fed HFD mice, liver FA binding protein-1 (Fabp1) gene ablation (LKO): i) exacerbated FTM in both sexes; ii) did not elicit liver neutral lipid ..Portilla D, Dent C, Sugaya T, Nagothu K, Kundi I, Moore P, et al. Liver fatty acid-binding protein as a biomarker of acute kidney injury after cardiac surgery. Kidney Int. 2008;73:465-72 pubmed..810, sensitivity 0.714, and specificity 0.684 for a 24-fold increase in urinary L-FABP. Our study shows that urinary L-FABP levels represent a sensitive and predictive early biomarker of AKI after cardiac surgery. ..Parr S, Clark A, Bian A, Shintani A, Wickersham N, Ware L, et al. Urinary L-FABP predicts poor outcomes in critically ill patients with early acute kidney injury. Kidney Int. 2015;87:640-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, modest early changes in serum creatinine can help target biomarker measurement for determining prognosis with urine L-FABP, providing independent and additive prognostic information when combined with clinical predictors. ..Sheng N, Li J, Liu H, Zhang A, Dai J. Interaction of perfluoroalkyl acids with human liver fatty acid-binding protein. Arch Toxicol. 2016;90:217-27 pubmed publisher..Arg122 and Asn111 played a pivotal role in these interactions. Our findings may help understand the distribution pattern, bioaccumulation, elimination, and toxicity of PFAAs in humans. ..Massot Cladera M, Franch Ã, Castell M, PÃ©rez Cano F. Cocoa polyphenols and fiber modify colonic gene expression in rats. Eur J Nutr. 2017;56:1871-1885 pubmed publisher..significantly up-regulated the expression of Scgb1a1 and Scnn1Â g and down-regulated Tac4, Mcpt2, Fcer1a and Fabp1 by twofold, most of them related to lipid metabolism and immune function...Wu G, Zhuang K, Liu Y, Wang Z. [Value of urinary liver fatty acid-binding protein in assessing severity of brain trauma and predicting acute kidney injury]. Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao. 2016;36:1527-1530 pubmed..Urinary L-FABP can be used as a marker for early assessment of the severity of traumatic brain injury and for predicting the occurrence of AKI following the injury. ..PÃ©rez Santero S, Favretto F, Zanzoni S, Chignola R, Assfalg M, D Onofrio M. Effects of macromolecular crowding on a small lipid binding protein probed at the single-amino acid level. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2016;606:99-110 pubmed publisher..The data suggest that promiscuous interactions are a major factor influencing protein function in the cell. ..Moledina D, Hall I, Thiessen Philbrook H, REESE P, Weng F, SchrÃ¶ppel B, et al. Performance of Serum Creatinine and Kidney Injury Biomarkers for Diagnosing Histologic Acute Tubular Injury. Am J Kidney Dis. 2017;70:807-816 pubmed publisher..Although urinary NGAL concentration had slightly higher discrimination for acute tubular injury than did Scr concentration, its overall AUROC was still modest. ..Long D, Yang D. Millisecond timescale dynamics of human liver fatty acid binding protein: testing of its relevance to the ligand entry process. Biophys J. 2010;98:3054-61 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we suggest these results show that the ligand-entry related functional dynamics could occur on the microsecond/submicrosecond timescales, highly encouraging future computational studies on this topic. ..Araki S, Haneda M, Koya D, Sugaya T, Isshiki K, Kume S, et al. Predictive effects of urinary liver-type fatty acid-binding protein for deteriorating renal function and incidence of cardiovascular disease in type 2 diabetic patients without advanced nephropathy. Diabetes Care. 2013;36:1248-53 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that urinary L-FABP may be a predictive marker for renal and cardiovascular prognosis in type 2 diabetic patients without advanced nephropathy. ..Schroeder F, McIntosh A, Martin G, Huang H, Landrock D, Chung S, et al. Fatty Acid Binding Protein-1 (FABP1) and the Human FABP1 T94A Variant: Roles in the Endocannabinoid System and Dyslipidemias. Lipids. 2016;51:655-76 pubmed publisherThe first discovered member of the mammalian FABP family, liver fatty acid binding protein (FABP1, L-FABP), occurs at high cytosolic concentration in liver, intestine, and in the case of humans also in kidney...Rashid N, Nigam A, Saxena P, Jain S, Wajid S. Association of IL-1Î², IL-1Ra and FABP1 gene polymorphisms with the metabolic features of polycystic ovary syndrome. Inflamm Res. 2017;66:621-636 pubmed publisher..IL-1Î², IL-1Ra and FABP1 are critical mediators of inflammatory processes and are speculated to play a role in the pathogenesis of PCOS...Londraville R. Intracellular fatty acid-binding proteins: putting lower vertebrates in perspective. Braz J Med Biol Res. 1996;29:707-20 pubmed..Because mammals are closely related and have relatively invariant fatty acid metabolisms, non-mammals provide alternative systems that may reveal the elusive function(s) of this protein family. ..Mésange F, Sebbar M, Capdevielle J, Guillemot J, Ferrara P, Bayard F, et al. Identification of two tamoxifen target proteins by photolabeling with 4-(2-morpholinoethoxy)benzophenone. Bioconjug Chem. 2002;13:766-72 pubmed..Altogether, these results confirm that the microsomal epoxide hydrolase is a target for tamoxifen and provide evidence of two new target proteins implicated in cell lipid metabolism. ..McIntosh A, Huang H, Storey S, Landrock K, Landrock D, Petrescu A, et al. Human FABP1 T94A variant impacts fatty acid metabolism and PPAR-? activation in cultured human female hepatocytes. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2014;307:G164-76 pubmed publisherAlthough human liver fatty acid-binding protein (FABP1) T94A variant has been associated with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and reduced ability of fenofibrate to lower serum triglycerides (TG) to target levels, molecular events ..Schroeder F, Atshaves B, Starodub O, Boedeker A, Smith R, Roths J, et al. Expression of liver fatty acid binding protein alters growth and differentiation of embryonic stem cells. Mol Cell Biochem. 2001;219:127-38 pubmed..Taken together with the fact that L-FABP was detected in the nucleus, these data suggested that L-FABP may play a more direct, heretofore unknown, role in regulating ES cell differentiation by acting in the nucleus as well as cytoplasm. ..Divine J, McCaul S, Simon T. HNF-1alpha and endodermal transcription factors cooperatively activate Fabpl: MODY3 mutations abrogate cooperativity. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2003;285:G62-72 pubmed..and hepatic gene regulation and is required for hepatic expression of the liver fatty acid binding protein gene (Fabpl)...Guilmeau S, Niot I, Laigneau J, Devaud H, Petit V, Brousse N, et al. Decreased expression of Intestinal I- and L-FABP levels in rare human genetic lipid malabsorption syndromes. Histochem Cell Biol. 2007;128:115-23 pubmed..The results suggest that enterocytes might regulate intracellular FABP content in response to intracellular fatty acids, which we speculate may act as lipid sensors to prevent their intracellular transport...Storey S, Atshaves B, McIntosh A, Landrock K, Martin G, Huang H, et al. Effect of sterol carrier protein-2 gene ablation on HDL-mediated cholesterol efflux from cultured primary mouse hepatocytes. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2010;299:G244-54 pubmed publisher..slow cholesterol efflux pools and/or eliciting concomitant upregulation of L-FABP in cultured primary hepatocytes...Sharma A, Sharma A. Fatty acid induced remodeling within the human liver fatty acid-binding protein. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:31924-8 pubmed publisher..These new mechanistic insights will facilitate development of pharmacological agents against LFABP. ..Chen C, Fang R, Chou L, Lowe A, Sibley E. PDX1 regulation of FABP1 and novel target genes in human intestinal epithelial Caco-2 cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;423:183-7 pubmed publisher..The gene for fatty acid binding protein 1, liver, FABP1, is repressed by PDX1 in Caco-2 cells...Martin G, McIntosh A, Huang H, Gupta S, Atshaves B, Landrock K, et al. The human liver fatty acid binding protein T94A variant alters the structure, stability, and interaction with fibrates. Biochemistry. 2013;52:9347-57 pubmed publisher..Thus, while the T94A substitution did not alter the affinity of the human L-FABP for PPAR? agonist ligands, it significantly altered the human L-FABP structure, stability, and conformational and functional response to fibrate. ..Maeda Y, Suzuki A, Ishii J, Sekiguchi Ueda S, Shibata M, Yoshino Y, et al. Level of urinary liver-type fatty acid-binding protein is associated with cardiac markers and electrocardiographic abnormalities in type-2 diabetes with chronic kidney disease stage G1 and G2. Heart Vessels. 2015;30:362-8 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that simultaneous measurement of urinary L-FABP and ACR should be useful to assess cardiovascular damage reflecting on the elevation of cardiac markers and ECG abnormalities in T2DM with CKD G1 and G2. ..Voth M, Holzberger S, Auner B, Henrich D, Marzi I, Relja B. I-FABP and L-FABP are early markers for abdominal injury with limited prognostic value for secondary organ failures in the post-traumatic course. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2015;53:771-80 pubmed publisher..Except L-FABP as indicator of acute kidney failure both FABPs have to be further evaluated as predictors for other organ failures, sepsis and/or mortality. ..Uzunlar O, Engin Ustun Y, Ozyer S, DanÄ±sman N, Candar T, Keskin S, et al. Is there an association between liver type fatty acid binding protein and severity of preeclampsia?. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2015;291:1069-74 pubmed publisher..008 (1.003-1.012), p < 0.001 and LDH 1.063 (1.029-1.099), p < 0.001]. Maternal serum LFABP level appears to be correlated with the severity of the preeclampsia and can be used to confirm the diagnosis. ..Wu Y, Peng X, Zhu Y, Yan X, Chen W, Lin X. Hepatitis B Virus X Protein Induces Hepatic Steatosis by Enhancing the Expression of Liver Fatty Acid Binding Protein. J Virol. 2016;90:1729-40 pubmed publisher..Our prior work has revealed that the expression level of liver fatty acid binding protein 1 (FABP1), a key regulator of hepatic lipid metabolism, was elevated in HBV-producing hepatoma cells...Wang J, Bie J, Ghosh S. Intracellular cholesterol transport proteins enhance hydrolysis of HDL-CEs and facilitate elimination of cholesterol into bile. J Lipid Res. 2016;57:1712-9 pubmed publisher..intracellular cholesterol transport proteins [sterol carrier protein 2 (SCP2) and fatty acid binding protein-1 (FABP1)] not only facilitate CE hydrolase-mediated hydrolysis of HDL-CEs, but also enhance elimination of cholesterol ..Gilquin B, Louwagie M, Jaquinod M, Cez A, Picard G, El Kholy L, et al. Multiplex and accurate quantification of acute kidney injury biomarker candidates in urine using Protein Standard Absolute Quantification (PSAQ) and targeted proteomics. Talanta. 2017;164:77-84 pubmed publisher..The assay is readily adaptable to other biomarker candidates and should be very useful for the simultaneous and accurate quantification of multiple biomarkers. ..Borchers T, Hohoff C, Buhlmann C, Spener F. Heart-type fatty acid binding protein - involvement in growth inhibition and differentiation. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 1997;57:77-84 pubmed..This argues against an active role of H-FABP in muscle development unlike the situation in the mammary gland. ..Murphy E. L-FABP and I-FABP expression increase NBD-stearate uptake and cytoplasmic diffusion in L cells. Am J Physiol. 1998;275:G244-9 pubmed..The differential effect of these proteins on fatty acid uptake and intracellular trafficking in single cells illustrates a possible difference in the physiological function of I- and L-FABP in intact cells. ..Nakamura T, Sugaya T, Kawagoe Y, Suzuki T, Ueda Y, Koide H. Effect of erythropoietin on urinary liver-type fatty-acid-binding protein in patients with chronic renal failure and anemia. Am J Nephrol. 2006;26:276-80 pubmed..median 30.0 ng/mg creatinine, range 10.0-54.0 ng/mg creatinine; not significant). EPO supplementation may ameliorate renal tubular damage, in part, due to a reduction of oxidative stress in CRF patients with anemia. ..Peng X, Wu Y, Lu Q, Hu Z, Lin X. Two genetic variants in FABP1 and susceptibility to non-alcohol fatty liver disease in a Chinese population. Gene. 2012;500:54-8 pubmed publisherLiver fatty acid-binding protein (FABP1) serves as a key regulator of hepatic lipid metabolism, and polymorphisms within the FABP1 gene have been associated with several metabolic traits...Abe M, Maruyama N, Oikawa O, Maruyama T, Okada K, Soma M. Urinary ACE2 is associated with urinary L-FABP and albuminuria in patients with chronic kidney disease. Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 2015;75:421-7 pubmed publisher..ACE2 might continuously protect from both glomerular and tubulointerstitial injury during CKD progression. Taken together, urinary ACE2 might be a marker of kidney renin-angiotensin system activation in such patients. ..Tang R, Ao X, Zhong Y, Wang R, Zhou Q. [Values of combination of urinary L-FABP and NGAL in early diagnosis of acute kidney injury after cardiac surgery in children]. Zhongguo Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi. 2017;19:770-775 pubmed..They can be used to predict the occurrence of AKI in the early stage. A combination of the two biomarkers can further improve the accuracy of diagnosis. ..Hishikari K, Hikita H, Nakamura S, Nakagama S, Mizusawa M, Yamamoto T, et al. Urinary Liver-Type Fatty Acid-Binding Protein Level as a Predictive Biomarker of Acute Kidney Injury in Patients with Acute Decompensated Heart Failure. Cardiorenal Med. 2017;7:267-275 pubmed publisher..Liver-type fatty acid-binding protein (L-FABP) levels are markedly upregulated in the proximal tubules after renal ischemia. We investigated whether urinary L-FABP is a suitable marker to predict AKI in ADHF patients...Georgopoulos A, Bloomfield H, Collins D, Brousseau M, Ordovas J, O Connor J, et al. Codon 54 polymorphism of the fatty acid binding protein (FABP) 2 gene is associated with increased cardiovascular risk in the dyslipidemic diabetic participants of the Veterans Affairs HDL intervention trial (VA-HIT). Atherosclerosis. 2007;194:169-74 pubmed..0002). We conclude that based on the VA-HIT data, the Thr-54 polymorphism of the FABP2 gene is associated with a 2-3.5-fold increase in cardiovascular risk in dyslipidemic men with diabetes compared to their non-diabetic counterparts. ..Parikh C, Thiessen Philbrook H, Garg A, Kadiyala D, Shlipak M, Koyner J, et al. Performance of kidney injury molecule-1 and liver fatty acid-binding protein and combined biomarkers of AKI after cardiac surgery. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013;8:1079-88 pubmed publisher..Postoperative elevations of KIM-1 associate with AKI and adverse outcmes in adults but were not independent of other AKI biomarkers. A panel of multiple biomarkers provided moderate discrimination for AKI. ..Katoh H, Nozue T, Kimura Y, Nakata S, Iwaki T, Kawano M, et al. Elevation of urinary liver-type fatty acid-binding protein as predicting factor for occurrence of contrast-induced acute kidney injury and its reduction by hemodiafiltration with blood suction from right atrium. Heart Vessels. 2014;29:191-7 pubmed publisher..We suggest that RA-HDF may prevent the development of CI-AKI in patients with severe renal dysfunction undergoing coronary procedures, although further large-scale prospective study is necessary to confirm our conclusions. ..Kim S, Song S, Kim I, Kim W, Jeon Y, Kim B, et al. Nonalbuminuric proteinuria as a biomarker for tubular damage in early development of nephropathy with type 2 diabetic patients. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2014;30:736-41 pubmed publisher..73 m²). We suggest that urinary NAP could be used as a biomarker for tubular damage in clinical practice. ..Kawai A, Kusaka M, Kitagawa F, Ishii J, Fukami N, Maruyama T, et al. Serum liver-type fatty acid-binding protein predicts recovery of graft function after kidney transplantation from donors after cardiac death. Clin Transplant. 2014;28:749-54 pubmed publisher..0 on POD 2. DGF >7 d was predicted with 83% SE and 78% SP at 11.0 on POD 1 and 67% SE and 78% SP at 6.5 on POD 2. Serum L-FABP levels may predict graft recovery and need for HD after DCD KTx. ..Wang B, Tao X, Huang C, Liu J, Ye Y, Huang A. Decreased expression of liver-type fatty acid-binding protein is associated with poor prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatogastroenterology. 2014;61:1321-6 pubmed..004). Patients with L-FABP high-expression showed better prognosis than patients with L-FABP low-expression (p=0.008). L-FABP was downregulated in HCC and could be served as a promising prognostic marker for HCC patients. ..Lowe J, Boguski M, Sweetser D, Elshourbagy N, Taylor J, Gordon J. Human liver fatty acid binding protein. Isolation of a full length cDNA and comparative sequence analyses of orthologous and paralogous proteins. J Biol Chem. 1985;260:3413-7 pubmed..It appears that the small cytosolic fatty acid binding proteins have evolved structural features necessary for lipid-protein interaction which are different from those present in some familiar and better studied extracellular sequences. ..Pelsers M, Namiot Z, Kisielewski W, Namiot A, Januszkiewicz M, Hermens W, et al. Intestinal-type and liver-type fatty acid-binding protein in the intestine. Tissue distribution and clinical utility. Clin Biochem. 2003;36:529-35 pubmed..Accordingly, besides I-FABP, also L-FABP is a useful plasma marker for the detection of intestinal injury, especially in patients undergoing intestinal surgery. ..