Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ets1
Description: ETS proto-oncogene 1, transcription factor
Alias: ETS-1, EWSR2, c-ets-1, p54, protein C-ets-1, Avian erythroblastosis virus E26 (v-ets) oncogene homolog-1, v-ets avian erythroblastosis virus E2 oncogene homolog 1, v-ets avian erythroblastosis virus E26 oncogene homolog 1
- Span P, Manders P, Heuvel J, Thomas C, Bosch R, Beex L, et al. Expression of the transcription factor Ets-1 is an independent prognostic marker for relapse-free survival in breast cancer. Oncogene. 2002;21:8506-9 pubmed..This seems - at least in part - to be attributable to its role in transcriptional regulation of factors involved in angiogenesis (VEGF), and extracellular matrix remodeling (PAI-1). ..
- Takai N, Miyazaki T, Nishida M, Nasu K, Miyakawa I. c-Ets1 is a promising marker in epithelial ovarian cancer. Int J Mol Med. 2002;9:287-92 pubmedc-Ets1 controls the expression of some genes involved in extracellular matrix remodeling...
- Laitem C, Leprivier G, Choul Li S, Begue A, Monte D, Larsimont D, et al. Ets-1 p27: a novel Ets-1 isoform with dominant-negative effects on the transcriptional properties and the subcellular localization of Ets-1 p51. Oncogene. 2009;28:2087-99 pubmed publisher..Thus the dual-acting dominant-negative function of Ets-1 p27 gives to the Ets-1 p27/Ets-1 p51 ratio a determining effect on cell fate...
- Jayaraman G, Srinivas R, Duggan C, Ferreira E, Swaminathan S, Somasundaram K, et al. p300/cAMP-responsive element-binding protein interactions with ets-1 and ets-2 in the transcriptional activation of the human stromelysin promoter. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:17342-52 pubmed..We show that mutation of this site does not affect its capacity to bind to and to cooperate with p300/CBP. ..
- Li J, Lau A. A role for mitogen-activated protein kinase and Ets-1 in the induction of interleukin-10 transcription by human immunodeficiency virus-1 Tat. Immunology. 2007;121:337-48 pubmed..In conclusion, the coordinated activities of p38 MAPK and the transcription factors, Ets-1 and Sp-1, may play an important role in the HIV-1 Tat-induced IL-10 transcription. ..
- Ji Z, Degerny C, Vintonenko N, Deheuninck J, Foveau B, Leroy C, et al. Regulation of the Ets-1 transcription factor by sumoylation and ubiquitinylation. Oncogene. 2007;26:395-406 pubmed..These data show that Ets-1 can be modified by sumoylation and/or ubiquitinylation, with sumoylation repressing transcriptional activity of Ets-1 and having no clear antagonistic action on the ubiquitin-proteasome degradation pathway. ..
- Yang C, Shapiro L, Rivera M, Kumar A, Brindle P. A role for CREB binding protein and p300 transcriptional coactivators in Ets-1 transactivation functions. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:2218-29 pubmed..Our results indicate that CBP/p300 may mediate antagonistic and synergistic interactions between Ets-1 and other transcription factors that use CBP/p300 as a coactivator, including c-Myb and AP-1. ..
- Hollenhorst P, Chandler K, Poulsen R, Johnson W, Speck N, Graves B. DNA specificity determinants associate with distinct transcription factor functions. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000778 pubmed publisher..The ETS family transcription factor, ETS1, exemplifies these challenges...
- Russell L, Garrett Sinha L. Transcription factor Ets-1 in cytokine and chemokine gene regulation. Cytokine. 2010;51:217-26 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we review in detail the current understanding of Ets-1 regulation of cytokine and chemokine expression and how this may relate to the biological roles of Ets-1 in regulating immunity as well as in cancer progression. ..
- Callaway K, Rainey M, Riggs A, Abramczyk O, Dalby K. Properties and regulation of a transiently assembled ERK2.Ets-1 signaling complex. Biochemistry. 2006;45:13719-33 pubmed..Displacement of EtsDelta138 from ERK2 by the peptide N-AKLSFQFPS-C derived from Elk-1 shows that EtsDelta138 communicates with the F-recruitment site of ERK2 also. ..
- Tomlins S, Laxman B, Dhanasekaran S, Helgeson B, Cao X, Morris D, et al. Distinct classes of chromosomal rearrangements create oncogenic ETS gene fusions in prostate cancer. Nature. 2007;448:595-9 pubmed..Furthermore, the identification of androgen-repressed and insensitive 5' fusion partners may have implications for the anti-androgen treatment of advanced prostate cancer. ..
- Mattia G, Errico M, Felicetti F, Petrini M, Bottero L, Tomasello L, et al. Constitutive activation of the ETS-1-miR-222 circuitry in metastatic melanoma. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2011;24:953-65 pubmed publisher..Finally, in vivo studies confirmed the contribution of miR-222 to the increased invasive potential obtained by ETS- silencing. ..
- He C, Liu Y, Cheng Y, Gao J, Pan T, Han J, et al. TNIP1, SLC15A4, ETS1, RasGRP3 and IKZF1 are associated with clinical features of systemic lupus erythematosus in a Chinese Han population. Lupus. 2010;19:1181-6 pubmed publisher..Five novel susceptibility genes (TNIP1, SLC15A4, ETS1, RasGRP3 and IKZF1) for SLE have been identified in a recent genome-wide association study of a Chinese Han ..
- John S, Clements J, Russell L, Garrett Sinha L. Ets-1 regulates plasma cell differentiation by interfering with the activity of the transcription factor Blimp-1. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:951-62 pubmed..These results reveal a previously unknown mechanism for the control of Blimp-1 activity by Ets-1 and suggest that expression of Ets-1 must be down-regulated before plasmacytic differentiation can occur. ..
- Baillat D, Laitem C, Leprivier G, Margerin C, Aumercier M. Ets-1 binds cooperatively to the palindromic Ets-binding sites in the p53 promoter. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;378:213-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, the cooperative binding model that we initially proposed for the stromelysin-1 promoter may be a general mechanism of Ets-1 binding to palindromic EBS separated by 4bp and a way to counteract binding site degeneracy. ..
- Bosman J, Yehiely F, Evans J, Cryns V. Regulation of alphaB-crystallin gene expression by the transcription factor Ets1 in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010;119:63-70 pubmed publisher..approach, we identified a putative DNA binding motif in the human alphaB-crystallin promoter for the proto-oncogene Ets1, a member of the ETS transcription factor family that bind to DNA at palindromic ETS-binding sites (EBS)...
- Leprivier G, Baillat D, Begue A, Hartmann B, Aumercier M. Ets-1 p51 and p42 isoforms differentially modulate Stromelysin-1 promoter according to induced DNA bend orientation. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;37:4341-52 pubmed publisher..These results establish that differential DNA bending, via p51 and p42 differential binding, is correlated with the Stromelysin-1 promoter activation process. ..
- Han J, Zheng H, Cui Y, Sun L, Ye D, Hu Z, et al. Genome-wide association study in a Chinese Han population identifies nine new susceptibility loci for systemic lupus erythematosus. Nat Genet. 2009;41:1234-7 pubmed publisher..We identified nine new susceptibility loci (ETS1, IKZF1, RASGRP3, SLC15A4, TNIP1, 7q11.23, 10q11.22, 11q23.3 and 16p11.2; 1...
- Zhang Z, Kobayashi S, Borczuk A, Leidner R, LaFramboise T, Levine A, et al. Dual specificity phosphatase 6 (DUSP6) is an ETS-regulated negative feedback mediator of oncogenic ERK signaling in lung cancer cells. Carcinogenesis. 2010;31:577-86 pubmed publisher..expression tracks in tandem with ERK inhibition and that regulation of DUSP6 is mediated at the promoter level by ETS1, a well-known nuclear target of activated ERK...
- Nakerakanti S, Kapanadze B, Yamasaki M, Markiewicz M, Trojanowska M. Fli1 and Ets1 have distinct roles in connective tissue growth factor/CCN2 gene regulation and induction of the profibrotic gene program. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:25259-69 pubmed..regulation of CCN2 gene expression by Ets family of transcription factors, focusing on two members, Fli1 and Ets1, with deregulated expression during fibrosis and tumorigenesis...
- Wilson L, Gemin A, Espiritu R, Singh G. ets-1 is transcriptionally up-regulated by H2O2 via an antioxidant response element. FASEB J. 2005;19:2085-7 pubmed..Ets-1 has obvious deleterious effects in many cancer cells, and thus, the identification of this regulatory pathway has provided possible targets for manipulating its expression. ..
- Tang N, Wang X, Huang T, Wu Y, Chen Y. Role of Ets-1 in fibronectin-derived heparin-binding domain polypeptides alleviating melanoma cell invasiveness and chemoresistance. Exp Dermatol. 2014;23:512-3 pubmed publisher..Combining rhFNHN29 or rhFNHC36 with EPI may be a good way to alleviate invasiveness or chemoresistance in melanoma. ..
- Hashiya N, Jo N, Aoki M, Matsumoto K, Nakamura T, Sato Y, et al. In vivo evidence of angiogenesis induced by transcription factor Ets-1: Ets-1 is located upstream of angiogenesis cascade. Circulation. 2004;109:3035-41 pubmed..The present study demonstrated that ets-1 regulated angiogenesis through the induction of angiogenic growth factors (VEGF and HGF). Overexpression of ets may provide a new therapeutic strategy to treat peripheral arterial disease. ..
- Khatun S, Fujimoto J, Toyoki H, Tamaya T. Clinical implications of expression of ETS-1 in relation to angiogenesis in ovarian cancers. Cancer Sci. 2003;94:769-73 pubmed..This indicates that ETS-1 might act as an angiogenic mediator in, and be a prognostic factor for, ovarian cancers. ..
- Okuducu A, Zils U, Michaelis S, Mawrin C, von Deimling A. Increased expression of avian erythroblastosis virus E26 oncogene homolog 1 in World Health Organization grade 1 meningiomas is associated with an elevated risk of recurrence and is correlated with the expression of its target genes matrix metallopro. Cancer. 2006;107:1365-72 pubmed..Ets-1 may be involved in meningioma recurrence by up-regulating MMP-2 and MMP-9. Increased expression of these genes in World Health Organization grade 1 meningiomas may serve as an indicator for a high risk of recurrence. ..
- Shaikhibrahim Z, Wernert N. ETS transcription factors and prostate cancer: the role of the family prototype ETS-1 (review). Int J Oncol. 2012;40:1748-54 pubmed publisher..In this review, we focus on studies investigating the role of ETS-1 in prostate cancer. ..
- Li R, Pei H, Watson D, Papas T. EAP1/Daxx interacts with ETS1 and represses transcriptional activation of ETS1 target genes. Oncogene. 2000;19:745-53 pubmedb>ETS1 is a member of the evolutionarily conserved family of ets genes, which are transcription factors that bind to unique DNA sequences, either alone or by association with other proteins...
- Garvie C, Pufall M, Graves B, Wolberger C. Structural analysis of the autoinhibition of Ets-1 and its role in protein partnerships. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:45529-36 pubmed
- Kars M, Iseri O, Gunduz U. Drug resistant breast cancer cells overexpress ETS1 gene. Biomed Pharmacother. 2010;64:458-62 pubmed publisher..MDR is a serious limitation to the effective chemotherapy. Involvement of ETS1 overexpression in upregulation of MDR1 gene expression is implicated...
- Bhat N, Thompson C, Lindsten T, June C, Fujiwara S, Koizumi S, et al. Reciprocal expression of human ETS1 and ETS2 genes during T-cell activation: regulatory role for the protooncogene ETS1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:3723-7 pubmedThe expression of the protooncogenes ETS1 and ETS2 has been studied in purified human T cells activated either by cross-linking of the T-cell receptor-CD3 complex on their cell surface or by direct stimulation with phorbol esters and ..
- Yang W, Shen N, Ye D, Liu Q, Zhang Y, Qian X, et al. Genome-wide association study in Asian populations identifies variants in ETS1 and WDFY4 associated with systemic lupus erythematosus. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1000841 pubmed publisher..Mainland China, and Thailand, as well as 4,200 ethnically and geographically matched controls, genetic variants in ETS1 and WDFY4 were found to be associated with SLE (ETS1: rs1128334, P = 2.33x10(-11), OR = 1...
- Giese K, Kingsley C, Kirshner J, Grosschedl R. Assembly and function of a TCR alpha enhancer complex is dependent on LEF-1-induced DNA bending and multiple protein-protein interactions. Genes Dev. 1995;9:995-1008 pubmed
- Dadi S, Le Noir S, Payet Bornet D, Lhermitte L, Zacarias Cabeza J, Bergeron J, et al. TLX homeodomain oncogenes mediate T cell maturation arrest in T-ALL via interaction with ETS1 and suppression of TCR? gene expression. Cancer Cell. 2012;21:563-76 pubmed publisher..cortical thymic maturation arrest in T-lineage ALLs that overexpress TLX1 or TLX3 is due to binding of TLX1/TLX3 to ETS1, leading to repression of T cell receptor (TCR) ? enhanceosome activity and blocked TCR-J? rearrangement...
- Choul Li S, Drobecq H, Aumercier M. DNA-dependent protein kinase is a novel interaction partner for Ets-1 isoforms. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;390:839-44 pubmed publisher..These results illustrate how detecting novel molecular interactions may provide new clues for understanding the diverse functions of Ets-1. ..
- Sato M, Morii E, Komori T, Kawahata H, Sugimoto M, Terai K, et al. Transcriptional regulation of osteopontin gene in vivo by PEBP2alphaA/CBFA1 and ETS1 in the skeletal tissues. Oncogene. 1998;17:1517-25 pubmed..Opn promoter activity was markedly enhanced by PEBP2alphaA and ETS1 in a synergistic manner...
- Pei H, Yordy J, Leng Q, Zhao Q, Watson D, Li R. EAPII interacts with ETS1 and modulates its transcriptional function. Oncogene. 2003;22:2699-709 pubmed..b>ETS1 plays important roles in differentiation, lymphoid cell development, invasiveness and angiogenesis...
- Tomlins S, Rhodes D, Yu J, Varambally S, Mehra R, Perner S, et al. The role of SPINK1 in ETS rearrangement-negative prostate cancers. Cancer Cell. 2008;13:519-28 pubmed publisher..We identified the aggressive 22RV1 cell line as a SPINK1 outlier expression model and demonstrate that SPINK1 knockdown in 22RV1 attenuates invasion, suggesting a functional role in ETS rearrangement-negative prostate cancers. ..
- Myers E, Hill A, Kelly G, McDermott E, O Higgins N, Buggy Y, et al. Associations and interactions between Ets-1 and Ets-2 and coregulatory proteins, SRC-1, AIB1, and NCoR in breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2005;11:2111-22 pubmed..0001 and P < 0.0001, respectively). These data describe associations and interactions between nonsteroid transcription factors and coregulatory proteins in human breast cancer. ..
- Massie C, Adryan B, Barbosa Morais N, Lynch A, Tran M, Neal D, et al. New androgen receptor genomic targets show an interaction with the ETS1 transcription factor. EMBO Rep. 2007;8:871-8 pubmed..Binding sequences for the avian erythroblastosis virus E26 homologue (ETS) transcription factor family were also highly enriched, and we uncovered an interaction between the AR and ETS1 at a subset of AR promoter targets.
- Lulli V, Romania P, Morsilli O, Gabbianelli M, Pagliuca A, Mazzeo S, et al. Overexpression of Ets-1 in human hematopoietic progenitor cells blocks erythroid and promotes megakaryocytic differentiation. Cell Death Differ. 2006;13:1064-74 pubmed..We show that Ets-1 binds to and activates the GATA-2 promoter, in vitro and in vivo, indicating that one of the pathways through which Ets-1 blocks erythroid and promotes MK differentiation is via upmodulation of GATA-2 expression. ..
- Zhou Q, Kijlstra A, Hou S, Yu H, Zhang X, Li X, et al. Lack of association of miR-146a and Ets-1 gene polymorphisms with Fuchs uveitis syndrome in Chinese Han patients. Mol Vis. 2012;18:426-30 pubmed..Our results suggest that the investigated three SNPs, miR-146a/rs2910164, ets-1/rs1128334, and ets-1/rs10893872, are not associated with FUS in the Han Chinese population. ..
- Salnikow K, Aprelikova O, Ivanov S, Tackett S, Kaczmarek M, Karaczyn A, et al. Regulation of hypoxia-inducible genes by ETS1 transcription factor. Carcinogenesis. 2008;29:1493-9 pubmed publisher..factors involved in the regulation of hypoxia-inducible genes by cell density, we focused our attention on ETS1. As reported previously, members of v-ets erythroblastosis virus E26 oncogene homolog (ETS) family transcription ..
- Lulli V, Romania P, Riccioni R, Boe A, Lo Coco F, Testa U, et al. Transcriptional silencing of the ETS1 oncogene contributes to human granulocytic differentiation. Haematologica. 2010;95:1633-41 pubmed publisher..Our results indicated that a decreased expression of Ets-1 protein generalizes to granulocytic differentiation and may represent a crucial event for granulocytic maturation. ..
- Song K, Lee T, Kim K, Chung K, Yoon J. cAMP-responding element-binding protein and c-Ets1 interact in the regulation of ATP-dependent MUC5AC gene expression. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:26869-78 pubmed publisher..ATP-induced MUC5AC mRNA levels were regulated by CREB via direct interaction with c-Ets1 on the MUC5AC gene promoter (located -938 to -930). Effects of CREB and c-Ets1 were additive...
- Yamaguchi E, Nakayama T, Nanashima A, Matsumoto K, Yasutake T, Sekine I, et al. Ets-1 proto-oncogene as a potential predictor for poor prognosis of lung adenocarcinoma. Tohoku J Exp Med. 2007;213:41-50 pubmed..Ets-1 appears to be a useful predictor of poor prognosis after surgical resection in lung adenocarcinoma patients. Ets-1 expression could be used to evaluate the malignant behaviors of lung adenocarcinomas. ..
- Hahne J, Okuducu A, Kaminski A, Florin A, Soncin F, Wernert N. Ets-1 expression promotes epithelial cell transformation by inducing migration, invasion and anchorage-independent growth. Oncogene. 2005;24:5384-8 pubmed..These results suggest that, in addition to its role in the tumor stroma, Ets-1 may also promote tumor development and progression by increasing neoplastic transformation. ..
- Baillat D, Begue A, Stehelin D, Aumercier M. ETS-1 transcription factor binds cooperatively to the palindromic head to head ETS-binding sites of the stromelysin-1 promoter by counteracting autoinhibition. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:29386-98 pubmed..In contrast, p42 showed a poorer transactivation, reinforcing the significance of cooperative binding for full transactivation. It is the first time that ETS-1 was shown to be able to counteract its own autoinhibition. ..
- Watson D, McWilliams Smith M, Nunn M, Duesberg P, O Brien S, Papas T. The ets sequence from the transforming gene of avian erythroblastosis virus, E26, has unique domains on human chromosomes 11 and 21: both loci are transcriptionally active. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1985;82:7294-8 pubmed..Thus, the tripartite transforming gene of E26 includes four distinct domains that may be functionally relevant for the transforming function of the virus (delta gag, myb, ets-1, and ets-2)...
- Tokic S, Stefanic M, Glavas Obrovac L, Jaman S, Novosadova E, Petrkova J, et al. The Expression of T Cell FOXP3 and T-Bet Is Upregulated in Severe but Not Euthyroid Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Mediators Inflamm. 2016;2016:3687420 pubmed publisher..role in HT, we investigated the mRNA expression levels of several Th1/Treg-associated transcription factors (T-bet/ETS1, HIF1?/BLIMP1/FOXP3) in peripheral blood T cells of 10 hypothyroid, untreated HT patients, 10 hypothyroid patients ..
- Carrere S, Verger A, Flourens A, Stehelin D, Duterque Coquillaud M. Erg proteins, transcription factors of the Ets family, form homo, heterodimers and ternary complexes via two distinct domains. Oncogene. 1998;16:3261-8 pubmed..Finally, we show that the formation of the previously described ternary complex Ergp55/Fos/jun is mediated by ETS domain and Jun protein, while the ternary complex Ergp49/Fos/Jun is mediated by Fos protein. ..
- Zhang L, Zhang L, Li H, Ge C, Zhao F, Tian H, et al. CXCL3 contributes to CD133(+) CSCs maintenance and forms a positive feedback regulation loop with CD133 in HCC via Erk1/2 phosphorylation. Sci Rep. 2016;6:27426 pubmed publisher..Exogenous CXCL3 induced Erk1/2 and ETS1 phosphorylation and promoted CD133 expression, indicating a positive feedback loop between CXCL3 and CD133 gene ..
- Stephens D, Poon G. Differential sensitivity to methylated DNA by ETS-family transcription factors is intrinsically encoded in their DNA-binding domains. Nucleic Acids Res. 2016;44:8671-8681 pubmed..This data established a biophysical basis for the pioneering properties associated with PU.1, which robustly bound fully methylated DNA, but not Ets-1, which was substantially inhibited. ..
- Chen J, Cui X, Qian Z, Li Y, Kang K, Qu J, et al. Multi-omics analysis reveals regulators of the response to PDGF-BB treatment in pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells. BMC Genomics. 2016;17:781 pubmed..network analysis revealed that PDGF-BB regulated gene expression potentially via TFs including HIF1A, JUN, EST1, ETS1, SMAD1, FOS, SP1, STAT1, LEF1 and CEBPB...
- Seeger F, Chen L, Spyridopoulos I, Altschmied J, Aicher A, Haendeler J. Downregulation of ETS rescues diabetes-induced reduction of endothelial progenitor cells. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4529 pubmed publisher..Downregulation of ETS1 expression by siRNA abrogated the reduction of VPC number induced by high-glucose treatment...
- Pap Z, IlyÃ©s I, Mocan S, DÃ©nes L, MuicÄƒ Nagy Bota M, PÃ¡vai Z, et al. Changes in immunoexpression of p53, Ki-67, Ets-1, APAF-1 and PTEN in serrated and conventional colon adenomas. Rom J Morphol Embryol. 2015;56:1389-96 pubmed..In case of hyperplastic polyps APAF-1 expression decreases as p53 and Ki-67 expression increases, followed by a decrease in PTEN expression in serrated adenomas, and an increase of Ets-1 expression in conventional adenomas. ..
- Danila M, Laufer V, Reynolds R, Yan Q, Liu N, Gregersen P, et al. Dense Genotyping of Immune-Related Regions Identifies Loci for Rheumatoid Arthritis Risk and Damage in African Americans. Mol Med. 2017;23: pubmed publisher..Variants in TNFRSF9, CTLA4, IL2RA, C5/TRAF1, and ETS1 - but no variants within the major histocompatibility complex - were associated with RA radiographic severity...
- Esaki S, Evich M, Erlitzki N, Germann M, Poon G. Multiple DNA-binding modes for the ETS family transcription factor PU.1. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:16044-16054 pubmed publisher..As sequential dimerization did not occur with the ETS domain of Ets-1, a close structural homolog of PU.1, 2:1 complex formation may represent an alternative autoinhibitory mechanism in the ETS family at the protein-DNA level. ..
- Gov E, Kori M, Arga K. Multiomics Analysis of Tumor Microenvironment Reveals Gata2 and miRNA-124-3p as Potential Novel Biomarkers in Ovarian Cancer. OMICS. 2017;21:603-615 pubmed publisher..We found that CDK2, EP300, and SRC as receptor-related functions or membrane proteins; Ets1, Ar, Gata2, and Foxp3 as TFs; and miR-16-5p and miR-124-3p as putative biomarkers and warrant further validation ..