Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ERI1
Description: exoribonuclease 1
Alias: 3'HEXO, HEXO, THEX1, 3'-5' exoribonuclease 1, 3' exoribonuclease, 3'-5' exonuclease ERI1, enhanced RNAi three prime mRNA exonuclease homolog 1, histone mRNA 3' end-specific exonuclease, histone mRNA 3'-end-specific exoribonuclease, histone mRNA 3'-exonuclease 1, three prime histone mRNA exonuclease 1, three prime mRNA exonuclease 1
- Yun J, Yoon J, Choi Y, Son Y, Kim S, Tong L, et al. Molecular mechanism for the inhibition of DXO by adenosine 3',5'-bisphosphate. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2018;504:89-95 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these structural and biochemical studies reveal that pAp inhibits the activities of DXO by occupying the active site to act as a competitive inhibitor. ..
- Gaulke C, Porter M, Han Y, Sankaran Walters S, Grishina I, George M, et al. Intestinal epithelial barrier disruption through altered mucosal microRNA expression in human immunodeficiency virus and simian immunodeficiency virus infections. J Virol. 2014;88:6268-80 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the disruption of miRNA in the small intestine likely plays a role in intestinal enteropathy during HIV infection. ..
- Slonchak A, Khromykh A. Subgenomic flaviviral RNAs: What do we know after the first decade of research. Antiviral Res. 2018;159:13-25 pubmed publisher..In this review we summarise the current state of knowledge on the mechanisms of generation and functional roles of sfRNAs in the life cycle of flaviviruses and highlight the gaps in our knowledge to be addressed in the future. ..
- Park J, Kang M, Kim M. Unraveling the mechanistic features of RNA polymerase II termination by the 5'-3' exoribonuclease Rat1. Nucleic Acids Res. 2015;43:2625-37 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that multiple mechanistic features contribute to Rat1-mediated termination of RNAPII. ..
- Ghodge S, Raushel F. Discovery of a Previously Unrecognized Ribonuclease from Escherichia coli That Hydrolyzes 5'-Phosphorylated Fragments of RNA. Biochemistry. 2015;54:2911-8 pubmed publisher..TrpH is the first enzyme from E. coli that has been found to possess 5' â†’ 3' exoribonuclease activity. We propose to name this enzyme RNase AM. ..
- Chohan M, Mackedenski S, Li W, Lee C. Human apurinic/apyrimidinic endonuclease 1 (APE1) has 3' RNA phosphatase and 3' exoribonuclease activities. J Mol Biol. 2015;427:298-311 pubmed publisher..This study further underscores the significance of understanding the role of APE1 in RNA metabolism in vivo. ..
- Clarke B, Roby J, Slonchak A, Khromykh A. Functional non-coding RNAs derived from the flavivirus 3' untranslated region. Virus Res. 2015;206:53-61 pubmed publisher..This review thus summarizes the known mechanisms of generation and the functions of flaviviral 3'UTR-derived non-coding RNAs. ..
- ..2015) and Burgess and Mohr (2015) describe how two poxvirus mRNA decapping enzymes hijack a host 5'-to-3'-exoribonuclease to evade antiviral innate immunity by limiting accumulation of double-stranded RNA. ..
- Ding M, Lin B, Li T, Liu Y, Li Y, Zhou X, et al. A dual yet opposite growth-regulating function of miR-204 and its target XRN1 in prostate adenocarcinoma cells and neuroendocrine-like prostate cancer cells. Oncotarget. 2015;6:7686-700 pubmed..Repression of miR-34a, a known AR-targeting miRNA, contributes AR expression by XRN1. Thus we revealed the AR-miR-204-XRN1-miR-34a positive feedback loop and a dual function of miR-204/XRN1 axis in prostate cancer. ..
- Wydro M, Bobrowicz A, Temperley R, Lightowlers R, Chrzanowska Lightowlers Z. Targeting of the cytosolic poly(A) binding protein PABPC1 to mitochondria causes mitochondrial translation inhibition. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38:3732-42 pubmed publisher..These data are consistent with endogenous RNA-binding factor(s) interacting with the poly(A) to optimize mitochondrial protein synthesis. ..
- Thibault P, Huys A, Amador CaÃ±izares Y, Gailius J, Pinel D, Wilson J. Regulation of Hepatitis C Virus Genome Replication by Xrn1 and MicroRNA-122 Binding to Individual Sites in the 5' Untranslated Region. J Virol. 2015;89:6294-311 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that each binding site may contribute unequally to Xrn1 protection and other miR-122 functions. ..
- Sedano C, Sarnow P. Hepatitis C virus subverts liver-specific miR-122 to protect the viral genome from exoribonuclease Xrn2. Cell Host Microbe. 2014;16:257-264 pubmed publisher..Thus, Xrn2 has a cytoplasmic, antiviral function against HCV that is counteracted by HCV's subversion of miR-122 to form a protective oligomeric complex at the 5' end of the viral genome. ..
- Ternette N, Wright C, Kramer H, Altun M, Kessler B. Label-free quantitative proteomics reveals regulation of interferon-induced protein with tetratricopeptide repeats 3 (IFIT3) and 5'-3'-exoribonuclease 2 (XRN2) during respiratory syncytial virus infection. Virol J. 2011;8:442 pubmed..This suggests a role of these proteins in viral infection, and analysis of their function will shed further light on mechanisms of RNA virus replication and the host cell defence machinery. ..
- Grousl T, OpekarovÃ¡ M, Stradalova V, Hasek J, Malinsky J. Evolutionarily conserved 5'-3' exoribonuclease Xrn1 accumulates at plasma membrane-associated eisosomes in post-diauxic yeast. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0122770 pubmed publisher..In particular, the localization of Xrn1 to the eisosome, together with previously published data, accents the relevance of this plasma membrane-associated compartment as a multipotent regulatory site. ..
- Luchelli L, Thomas M, Boccaccio G. Synaptic control of mRNA translation by reversible assembly of XRN1 bodies. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:1542-54 pubmed publisher..Finally, XRN1 knockdown impairs the translational repression triggered by NMDA. Collectively, these observations support a role for the SX-bodies in the reversible masking and silencing of mRNAs at the synapse. ..
- Tucker J, Ohle C, Schermann G, Bendrin K, Zhang W, Fischer T, et al. A Novel Epigenetic Silencing Pathway Involving the Highly Conserved 5'-3' Exoribonuclease Dhp1/Rat1/Xrn2 in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1005873 pubmed publisher..The results describe the unexpected role of Dhp1/Rat1/Xrn2 in chromatin-based silencing and elucidate how various RNA-processing pathways, acting together or independently, contribute to epigenetic regulation of the eukaryotic genome. ..
- Azzouz D, Martin G, Arnoux F, Balandraud N, Martin T, Dubucquoi S, et al. Anti-Ephrin Type-B Receptor 2 (EphB2) and Anti-Three Prime Histone mRNA EXonuclease 1 (THEX1) Autoantibodies in Scleroderma and Lupus. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0160283 pubmed publisher..Only 2 of the 6 candidates, Ephrin type-B receptor 2 (EphB2) and Three prime Histone mRNA EXonuclease 1 (THEX1), remained significantly recognized by sera samples from SSc compared to controls (healthy ..
- Geisler S, Coller J. XRN1: A Major 5' to 3' Exoribonuclease in Eukaryotic Cells. Enzymes. 2012;31:97-114 pubmed publisher..In addition, XRN1 serves a vital role in the processing and maturation of the 5' ends of rRNA and snoRNAs. In this review, we discuss some of the important roles of XRN1 in the cell. ..
- Kramer S, Piper S, Estevez A, Carrington M. Polycistronic trypanosome mRNAs are a target for the exosome. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2016;205:1-5 pubmed publisher..Both proteins are significantly enriched in the nucleus. Together with published data, our data suggest a major nuclear function of the trypanosome exosome in rRNA, snoRNA and mRNA quality control. ..
- Kramer S. The ApaH-like phosphatase TbALPH1 is the major mRNA decapping enzyme of trypanosomes. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006456 pubmed publisher..The substrates of eukaryotic ApaH-like phosphatases are unknown. However, the substrate of the related bacterial enzyme ApaH, diadenosine tetraphosphate, is highly reminiscent of a eukaryotic mRNA cap. ..
- Lin C, Wen J, Bejarano F, Hu F, Bortolamiol Becet D, Kan L, et al. Characterization of a TUTase/RNase complex required for Drosophila gametogenesis. RNA. 2017;23:284-296 pubmed publisher..Overall, our studies of a new tailing/trimming complex reveal unexpectedly specific requirements during gametogenesis. ..
- Rother S, Bartels M, Schweda A, Resch K, Pallua N, Nourbakhsh M. NF-ÎºB-repressing factor phosphorylation regulates transcription elongation via its interactions with 5'â†’3' exoribonuclease 2 and negative elongation factor. FASEB J. 2016;30:174-85 pubmed publisher..Together, NKRF phosphorylation modulates promoter-proximal transcription elongation of NF-ÎºB/NKRF-regulated genes via direct interactions with elongation complex in response to specific stimuli. ..
- Kiledjian M, Zhou M, Jiao X. Normal and Aberrantly Capped mRNA Decapping. Enzymes. 2012;31:165-80 pubmed publisher..cerevisiae demonstrates the presence of aberrantly capped mRNAs in cells and further reinforces the functional significance of the Rai1 in ensuring mRNA 5'-end integrity. ..
- Göertz G, Fros J, Miesen P, Vogels C, van der Bent M, Geertsema C, et al. Noncoding Subgenomic Flavivirus RNA Is Processed by the Mosquito RNA Interference Machinery and Determines West Nile Virus Transmission by Culex pipiens Mosquitoes. J Virol. 2016;90:10145-10159 pubmed publisher..This is the first report to describe a pivotal biological function of sfRNA in arthropods. The results explain why sfRNA production is evolutionarily conserved. ..
- Zhou M, Bail S, Plasterer H, Rusche J, Kiledjian M. DcpS is a transcript-specific modulator of RNA in mammalian cells. RNA. 2015;21:1306-12 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data demonstrate that DcpS in conjunction with Xrn1 has the potential to regulate RNA stability in a transcript-selective manner in mammalian cells. ..
- Towler B, Jones C, Harper K, Waldron J, Newbury S. A novel role for the 3'-5' exoribonuclease Dis3L2 in controlling cell proliferation and tissue growth. RNA Biol. 2016;13:1286-1299 pubmed..The work is directly relevant to the understanding of human overgrowth syndromes such as Perlman syndrome. ..
- Nguyen A, Matsui A, Tanaka M, Mizunashi K, Nakaminami K, Hayashi M, et al. Loss of Arabidopsis 5'-3' Exoribonuclease AtXRN4 Function Enhances Heat Stress Tolerance of Plants Subjected to Severe Heat Stress. Plant Cell Physiol. 2015;56:1762-72 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that AtXRN4-mediated mRNA degradation is linked to the suppression of heat acclimation. ..
- Morales J, Richard P, Patidar P, Motea E, Dang T, Manley J, et al. XRN2 Links Transcription Termination to DNA Damage and Replication Stress. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1006107 pubmed publisher..Our study highlights the importance of regulating transcription-related activities as a critical component in maintaining genetic stability. ..
- Flobinus A, Chevigny N, Charley P, Seissler T, Klein E, Bleykasten Grosshans C, et al. Beet Necrotic Yellow Vein Virus Noncoding RNA Production Depends on a 5'?3' Xrn Exoribonuclease Activity. Viruses. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..Interestingly, XRN4 knockdown reduced BNYVV RNA accumulation suggesting a dual role for the ribonuclease in the viral cycle. ..
- Alexiadis A, Delidakis C, Kalantidis K. Snipper, an Eri1 homologue, affects histone mRNA abundance and is crucial for normal Drosophila melanogaster development. FEBS Lett. 2017;591:2106-2120 pubmed publisherThe conserved 3'-5' RNA exonuclease ERI1 is implicated in RNA interference inhibition, 5.8S rRNA maturation and histone mRNA maturation and turnover...
- Vaškovičová K, Awadova T, Veselá P, Balazova M, Opekarova M, Malinsky J. mRNA decay is regulated via sequestration of the conserved 5'-3' exoribonuclease Xrn1 at eisosome in yeast. Eur J Cell Biol. 2017;96:591-599 pubmed publisher..Thus, properly assembled eisosome is necessary for this kind of Xrn1 regulation, which occurs in a liquid culture as well as in a differentiated colony. ..
- Sato S, Ishikawa H, Yoshikawa H, Izumikawa K, Simpson R, Takahashi N. Collaborator of alternative reading frame protein (CARF) regulates early processing of pre-ribosomal RNA by retaining XRN2 (5'-3' exoribonuclease) in the nucleoplasm. Nucleic Acids Res. 2015;43:10397-410 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest that CARF regulates early steps of pre-rRNA processing during ribosome biogenesis by controlling spatial distribution of XRN2 between the nucleoplasm and nucleolus. ..
- Coccia M, Rossi A, Riccio A, Trotta E, Santoro M. Human NF-κB repressing factor acts as a stress-regulated switch for ribosomal RNA processing and nucleolar homeostasis surveillance. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:1045-1050 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals a different aspect of rRNA biogenesis control in human cells and sheds light on a sophisticated mechanism of nucleolar homeostasis surveillance during stress. ..
- Krzyszton M, Zakrzewska Placzek M, Koper M, Kufel J. Rat1 and Xrn2: The Diverse Functions of the Nuclear Rat1/Xrn2 Exonuclease. Enzymes. 2012;31:131-63 pubmed publisher..Despite many years of extensive research and recent findings related to the structure and function of these enzymes revealed almost every year, several aspects are yet to be discovered. ..
- Miki T, Carl S, Stadler M, Großhans H. XRN2 Autoregulation and Control of Polycistronic Gene Expresssion in Caenorhabditis elegans. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1006313 pubmed publisher..Regulation occurs through intercistronic regions that link genes in an operon, but a part of the mechanisms may allow XRN2 to operate on monocistronic genes in organisms lacking operons. ..
- GÃ¶ertz G, Pijlman G. Dengue Non-coding RNA: TRIMmed for Transmission. Cell Host Microbe. 2015;18:133-4 pubmed publisher..In a recent paper in Science, Manokaran et al. (2015) report that sfRNA binds TRIM25 to evade innate immune sensing of viral RNA by RIG-I. ..
- Lackey P, Welch J, Marzluff W. TUT7 catalyzes the uridylation of the 3' end for rapid degradation of histone mRNA. RNA. 2016;22:1673-1688 pubmed..stem-loop, and this length is maintained by addition of nontemplated uridines if the mRNA is further trimmed by 3'hExo. These mRNAs are tightly cell-cycle regulated, and a critical regulatory step is rapid degradation of the histone ..
- Kupsco J, Wu M, Marzluff W, Thapar R, Duronio R. Genetic and biochemical characterization of Drosophila Snipper: A promiscuous member of the metazoan 3'hExo/ERI-1 family of 3' to 5' exonucleases. RNA. 2006;12:2103-17 pubmedThe DnaQ-H family exonuclease Snipper (Snp) is a 33-kDa Drosophila melanogaster homolog of 3'hExo and ERI-1, exoribonucleases implicated in the degradation of histone mRNA in mammals and in the negative regulation of RNA interference (..
- Yang X, Purdy M, Marzluff W, Dominski Z. Characterization of 3'hExo, a 3' exonuclease specifically interacting with the 3' end of histone mRNA. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:30447-54 pubmed..a conserved stem-loop and a terminal ACCCA interacts with a recently identified human 3' exonuclease designated 3'hExo. The sequence-specific interaction suggests that 3'hExo may participate in the degradation of histone mRNAs...
- Kennedy S, Wang D, Ruvkun G. A conserved siRNA-degrading RNase negatively regulates RNA interference in C. elegans. Nature. 2004;427:645-9 pubmed..Thus, ERI-1 is a negative regulator that may normally function to limit the duration, cell-type specificity or endogenous functions of RNA interference. ..
- Jiang S, Jiang L, Yang J, Peng J, Lu Y, Zheng H, et al. Over-expression of Oryza sativa Xrn4 confers plant resistance to virus infection. Gene. 2018;639:44-51 pubmed publisher..These results show that the monocotyledonous plant cytoplasmic Xrn4 also has an antiviral role and thus provides a strategy for producing transgenic plants resistant to viral infection. ..
- Charley P, Wilusz C, Wilusz J. Identification of phlebovirus and arenavirus RNA sequences that stall and repress the exoribonuclease XRN1. J Biol Chem. 2018;293:285-295 pubmed publisher..This observation. emphasizes the importance and commonality of this viral strategy to interfere with the 5'-to-3'-exoribonuclease component of the cytoplasmic RNA decay machinery. ..
- Cheng Y, Patel D. Crystallographic structure of the nuclease domain of 3'hExo, a DEDDh family member, bound to rAMP. J Mol Biol. 2004;343:305-12 pubmedA human 3'-5'-exoribonuclease (3'hExo) has recently been identified and shown to be responsible for histone mRNA degradation...
- Wojtas M, Pandey R, Mendel M, Homolka D, Sachidanandam R, Pillai R. Regulation of m6A Transcripts by the 3'?5' RNA Helicase YTHDC2 Is Essential for a Successful Meiotic Program in the Mammalian Germline. Mol Cell. 2017;68:374-387.e12 pubmed publisher..Our studies reveal a role for YTHDC2 in modulating the levels of m6A-modified germline transcripts to maintain a gene expression program that is conducive for progression through meiosis...
- Choucair N, Rajab M, Megarbane A, Chouery E. Homozygous microdeletion of the ERI1 and MFHAS1 genes in a patient with intellectual disability, limb abnormalities, and cardiac malformation. Am J Med Genet A. 2017;173:1955-1960 pubmed publisher..1 homozygous deletion, containing the microRNA miR-4660, the exoribonuclease 1 (ERI1), and malignant fibrous histiocytoma amplified sequence 1 (MFHAS1) genes...
- Doyle G, Crist R, Karatas E, Hammond M, Ewing A, Ferraro T, et al. Analysis of LINE-1 Elements in DNA from Postmortem Brains of Individuals with Schizophrenia. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2017;42:2602-2611 pubmed publisher..An L1 within ERI1 exoribonuclease family member 3 (ERI3) was found to associate with SZ...
- Dominski Z, Yang X, Kaygun H, Dadlez M, Marzluff W. A 3' exonuclease that specifically interacts with the 3' end of histone mRNA. Mol Cell. 2003;12:295-305 pubmed..Using RNA affinity purification, we identified a second protein, designated 3'hExo, that contains a SAP and a 3' exonuclease domain and binds the same sequence...
- Thomas M, L Etoile N, Ansel K. Eri1: a conserved enzyme at the crossroads of multiple RNA-processing pathways. Trends Genet. 2014;30:298-307 pubmed publisherb>Eri1 is an evolutionarily conserved 3'-5' exoribonuclease that participates in 5.8S rRNA 3' end processing and turnover of replication-dependent histone mRNAs...
- Tan D, Marzluff W, Dominski Z, Tong L. Structure of histone mRNA stem-loop, human stem-loop binding protein, and 3'hExo ternary complex. Science. 2013;339:318-21 pubmed publisher..protein (SLBP) specifically recognizes the SL to regulate histone mRNA metabolism, and the 3'-5' exonuclease 3'hExo trims its 3'-end after processing...
- Mori F, Tanji K, Miki Y, Toyoshima Y, Sasaki H, Yoshida M, et al. Immunohistochemical localization of exoribonucleases (DIS3L2 and XRN1) in intranuclear inclusion body disease. Neurosci Lett. 2018;662:389-394 pubmed publisher..In polyQ diseases, however, nuclear inclusions were immunonegative for DIS3L2 and XRN1. These findings suggest that sequestration of exoribonucleases to nuclear inclusions may be related to the pathogenesis of INIBD. ..
- Mullen T, Marzluff W. Degradation of histone mRNA requires oligouridylation followed by decapping and simultaneous degradation of the mRNA both 5' to 3' and 3' to 5'. Genes Dev. 2008;22:50-65 pubmed publisher..RNAi experiments demonstrate that both the exosome and 5'-to-3' decay pathway components are required for degradation, and individual histone mRNAs are then degraded simultaneously 5' to 3' and 3' to 5'. ..