Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: EIF4EBP2
Description: eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E binding protein 2
Alias: 4EBP2, PHASII, eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E-binding protein 2, 4E-BP2, eIF4E-binding protein 2, phosphorylated, heat and acid stable regulated by insulin protein II
- Tudor J, Davis E, Peixoto L, Wimmer M, van Tilborg E, Park A, et al. Sleep deprivation impairs memory by attenuating mTORC1-dependent protein synthesis. Sci Signal. 2016;9:ra41 pubmed publisher..synthesis by phosphorylating and inhibiting the eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E-binding protein 2 (4EBP2)...
- Sukarieh R, Sonenberg N, Pelletier J. The eIF4E-binding proteins are modifiers of cytoplasmic eIF4E relocalization during the heat shock response. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2009;296:C1207-17 pubmed publisher..Herein, we demonstrate that localization of eIF4E to SGs is dependent on the presence of a family of repressor proteins, eIF4E-binding proteins (4E-BPs). Our results demonstrate that 4E-BPs regulate the SG localization of eIF4E. ..
- Joshi B, Cameron A, Jagus R. Characterization of mammalian eIF4E-family members. Eur J Biochem. 2004;271:2189-203 pubmed..It is hypothesized that each eIF4E-family member fills a specialized niche in the recruitment of mRNAs by the ribosome through differences in their abilities to bind cap and/or to interact with eIF4G and the 4E-BPs. ..
- Tee A, Proud C. Caspase cleavage of initiation factor 4E-binding protein 1 yields a dominant inhibitor of cap-dependent translation and reveals a novel regulatory motif. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:1674-83 pubmed..This suggests that the N-terminal sequence of 4E-BP1 is required for optimal regulation of 4E-BPs by insulin. ..
- Grolleau A, Wietzerbin J, Beretta L. Defect in the regulation of 4E-BP1 and 2, two repressors of translation initiation, in the retinoid acid resistant cell lines, NB4-R1 and NB4-R2. Leukemia. 2000;14:1909-14 pubmed..This indicates that 4E-BP1 down-regulation is associated with granulocytic maturation, whereas post-transcriptional regulation of 4E-BP2 expression is associated with the early action of RA. ..
- Wang L, Rhodes C, Lawrence J. Activation of mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) by insulin is associated with stimulation of 4EBP1 binding to dimeric mTOR complex 1. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:24293-303 pubmed
- Bidinosti M, Martineau Y, Frank F, Sonenberg N. Repair of isoaspartate formation modulates the interaction of deamidated 4E-BP2 with mTORC1 in brain. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:19402-8 pubmed publisher..Further, we show that 4E-BP2 containing isoaspartates lacks the augmented association with raptor that is a feature of deamidated 4E-BP2. ..
- Shenberger J, Adams M, Zimmer S. Oxidant-induced hypertrophy of A549 cells is accompanied by alterations in eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E and 4E-binding protein-1. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2002;27:250-6 pubmed..These findings suggest that oxidant-mediated alterations in protein synthesis and cell morphology occur in concert with changes in factors known to regulate translation kinetics. ..
- Tsukiyama Kohara K, Vidal S, Gingras A, Glover T, Hanash S, Heng H, et al. Tissue distribution, genomic structure, and chromosome mapping of mouse and human eukaryotic initiation factor 4E-binding proteins 1 and 2. Genomics. 1996;38:353-63 pubmed..Mouse 4E-BP1 and 4E-BP2 map to chromosomes 8 (A4-B1) and 10 (B4-B5), respectively, and human 4E-BP1 and 4E-BP2 localize to chromosomes 8p12 and 10q21-q22, respectively. ..
- Burnett P, Barrow R, Cohen N, Snyder S, Sabatini D. RAFT1 phosphorylation of the translational regulators p70 S6 kinase and 4E-BP1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:1432-7 pubmed..This raises the possibility that, in vivo, an unidentified kinase analogous to p70(S6k) is activated by RAFT1 phosphorylation and acts at the rapamycin-sensitive phosphorylation sites of 4E-BP1. ..
- Grolleau A, Sonenberg N, Wietzerbin J, Beretta L. Differential regulation of 4E-BP1 and 4E-BP2, two repressors of translation initiation, during human myeloid cell differentiation. J Immunol. 1999;162:3491-7 pubmed..Taken together, these data provide evidence for differential regulation of the translational machinery during human myeloid differentiation, specific to the monocytic/macrophage pathway or to the granulocytic pathway. ..
- Mizuno A, In Y, Fujita Y, Abiko F, Miyagawa H, Kitamura K, et al. Importance of C-terminal flexible region of 4E-binding protein in binding with eukaryotic initiation factor 4E. FEBS Lett. 2008;582:3439-44 pubmed publisher..regions in the interaction, the binding features of the sequentially N-, C-, or both-terminal-residue-deleted 4EBP2 mutants were investigated by surface plasmon resonance (SPR) analysis...
- Lukhele S, Bah A, Lin H, Sonenberg N, Forman Kay J. Interaction of the eukaryotic initiation factor 4E with 4E-BP2 at a dynamic bipartite interface. Structure. 2013;21:2186-96 pubmed publisher..The 4E-BP2 interface on eIF4E overlaps yet is more extensive than the eIF4G:eIF4E interface, suggesting that these key interactions may be differentially targeted for therapeutics. ..
- Dilling M, Germain G, Dudkin L, Jayaraman A, Zhang X, Harwood F, et al. 4E-binding proteins, the suppressors of eukaryotic initiation factor 4E, are down-regulated in cells with acquired or intrinsic resistance to rapamycin. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:13907-17 pubmed..These results suggest that the 4E-BP:eIF4E ratio is an important determinant of rapamycin resistance and controls certain aspects of the malignant phenotype. ..
- Beretta L, Singer N, Hinderer R, Gingras A, Richardson B, Hanash S, et al. Differential regulation of translation and eIF4E phosphorylation during human thymocyte maturation. J Immunol. 1998;160:3269-73 pubmed..These data provide evidence for differential regulation of the translational machinery during T cell development. ..
- Tomoo K, Matsushita Y, Fujisaki H, Abiko F, Shen X, Taniguchi T, et al. Structural basis for mRNA Cap-Binding regulation of eukaryotic initiation factor 4E by 4E-binding protein, studied by spectroscopic, X-ray crystal structural, and molecular dynamics simulation methods. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1753:191-208 pubmed..These results provide the structural basis for the mRNA cap-binding regulation of eIF4E by 4E-BP. ..
- Gingras A, Sonenberg N. Adenovirus infection inactivates the translational inhibitors 4E-BP1 and 4E-BP2. Virology. 1997;237:182-6 pubmed..Findings similar to those described here were reported for 4E-BP1 by D. Feigenblum and R. J. Schneider (1996, Mol. Cell. Biol. 16, 5450-5457). ..
- Lin T, Lawrence J. Control of the translational regulators PHAS-I and PHAS-II by insulin and cAMP in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:30199-204 pubmed..In summary, our results indicate that PHAS-I and -II are controlled by the mammalian target of rapamycin and p70(S6K) signaling pathway and that in 3T3-L1 adipocytes this pathway is inhibited by increased cAMP. ..
- Pause A, Belsham G, Gingras A, Donze O, Lin T, Lawrence J, et al. Insulin-dependent stimulation of protein synthesis by phosphorylation of a regulator of 5'-cap function. Nature. 1994;371:762-7 pubmed..The action of this new regulator of protein synthesis is therefore modulated by insulin, which acts to stimulate the overall rate of translation and promote cell growth. ..
- Zeng J, Jiang F, Wu Y. Mechanism of Phosphorylation-Induced Folding of 4E-BP2 Revealed by Molecular Dynamics Simulations. J Chem Theory Comput. 2017;13:320-328 pubmed publisher..The region around phosphorylated T46 appears to fold before that around phosphorylated T37. These findings provide new insight into the intricate effects of protein phosphorylation. ..
- Mizutani R, Imamachi N, Yoshida H, Tochigi N, Oonishi T, Suzuki Y, et al. Oncofetal protein IGF2BP3 facilitates the activity of proto-oncogene protein eIF4E through the destabilization of EIF4E-BP2 mRNA. Oncogene. 2016;35:3495-502 pubmed publisher..This is the first report demonstrating that IGF2BP3 is an RNA-destabilizing factor. Notably, here we provide the first evidence for the functional linkage between two previously well-known cancer biomarkers, IGF2BP3 and eIF4E. ..
- Ferguson G, Mothe Satney I, Lawrence J. Ser-64 and Ser-111 in PHAS-I are dispensable for insulin-stimulated dissociation from eIF4E. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:47459-65 pubmed..eIF4E complex. The findings also indicate that PHAS-II, but not PHAS-III, contributes to the control of protein synthesis by insulin. ..