Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: E-selectin
Description: selectin E
Alias: CD62E, ELAM, ELAM1, ESEL, LECAM2, E-selectin, CD62 antigen-like family member E, ELAM-1, endothelial adhesion molecule 1, endothelial leukocyte adhesion molecule 1, leukocyte endothelial cell adhesion molecule 2
- Clark R, Huang S, Murphy G, Mollet I, Hijnen D, Muthukuru M, et al. Human squamous cell carcinomas evade the immune response by down-regulation of vascular E-selectin and recruitment of regulatory T cells. J Exp Med. 2008;205:2221-34 pubmed publisher..TLR7 agonists neutralized both of these strategies, supporting their use in SCCs and other tumors with similar immune defects. ..
- Madhavan M, Srinivas P, Abraham E, Ahmed I, Vijayalekshmi N, Balaram P. Down regulation of endothelial adhesion molecules in node positive breast cancer: possible failure of host defence mechanism. Pathol Oncol Res. 2002;8:125-8 pubmed..On multi-variate analysis, VCAM alone emerged as an independent predictor of nodal metastasis. ..
- Wang Z, Liu Y, Liu J, Liu K, Lou Y, Wen J, et al. E-selectin gene polymorphisms are associated with essential hypertension: a case-control pilot study in a Chinese population. BMC Med Genet. 2010;11:127 pubmed publisher..02 for C602A and 0.04 for T1559C). C602A and T1559C may be independent risk factors for essential hypertension in the Chinese population, whereas T1880C is not. ..
- Hattori H, Sato H, Ito D, Tanahashi N, Murata M, Saito I, et al. A561C polymorphism of E-selectin is associated with ischemic cerebrovascular disease in the Japanese population without diabetes mellitus and hypercholesterolemia. Brain Res. 2006;1108:221-3 pubmed..7% vs. 5.8% (P=0.04). Our results show that E-selectin gene polymorphisms represent an increased risk for ischemic CVD in the Japanese population without diabetes mellitus and hypercholesterolemia. ..
- Bojanowski C, Tuo J, Chew E, Csaky K, Chan C. Analysis of Hemicentin-1, hOgg1, and E-selectin single nucleotide polymorphisms in age-related macular degeneration. Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc. 2005;103:37-44; discussion 44-5 pubmed..Further candidate genes, particularly those involved in extracellular matrix, oxidative stress, and immune system functions, are currently being screened in our laboratory. ..
- Burdick M, Chu J, Godar S, Sackstein R. HCELL is the major E- and L-selectin ligand expressed on LS174T colon carcinoma cells. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:13899-905 pubmed
- Tripathi R, Singh P, Tewari S, Tamhankar P, Ramesh V, Agarwal S. Genetic predisposition of E-selectin gene (S128R) polymorphism in patients with coronary artery disease (CAD). Indian J Med Res. 2009;130:423-7 pubmed..S128R polymorphism in E-selectin gene was not an independent predictor of CAD in our population. ..
- Abu Amero K, Al Mohanna F, Al Boudari O, Mohamed G, Dzimiri N. The interactive role of type 2 diabetes mellitus and E-selectin S128R mutation on susceptibility to coronary heart disease. BMC Med Genet. 2007;8:35 pubmed..11; p = < 0.001). Our findings indicate therefore that the risk of acquiring CAD in patients with DM2 increases significantly in the presence of the 128R mutant allele of the E-selectin gene. ..
- Shaker O, Zahra A, Sayed A, Refaat A, El Khaiat Z, Hegazy G, et al. Role of ICAM-1 and E-selectin gene polymorphisms in pathogenesis of PAOD in Egyptian patients. Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2010;6:9-15 pubmed..S128R and K469E polymorphisms were associated with increased risk in PAOD. Early detection of these polymorphic genes helps in early prophylaxis against PAOD. ..
- Kiely J, Hu Y, Garcia Cardena G, Gimbrone M. Lipid raft localization of cell surface E-selectin is required for ligation-induced activation of phospholipase C gamma. J Immunol. 2003;171:3216-24 pubmed
- El Magadmi M, Alansari A, Teh L, Ordi J, Gul A, Inanc M, et al. Association of the A561C E-selectin polymorphism with systemic lupus erythematosus in 2 independent populations. J Rheumatol. 2001;28:2650-2 pubmed..E-selectin may be a susceptibility gene to SLE in these populations. Its role in disease expression and longterm outcomes such as accelerated atherosclerosis requires further study. ..
- Endler G, Exner M, Raith M, Marculescu R, Mannhalter C, Endler L, et al. The E-selectin S128R polymorphism is not a risk factor for coronary artery disease in patients with diabetes mellitus type 2. Thromb Res. 2003;112:47-50 pubmed..Thus, screening for this polymorphism is not indicated for risk assessment of CAD in patients with diabetes mellitus. ..
- Motawi T, Shaker O, Taha N, Abdel Raheem M. Genetic variations in E-selectin and ICAM-1: relation to atherosclerosis. Med Sci Monit. 2012;18:CR381-9 pubmed..3%, 54.8% and 54% vs. 26%, respectively). Ser 128Arg of E-selectin and the K469E of ICAM-1 polymorphisms may be involved in predisposition to atherosclerosis. ..
- Halushka M, Fan J, Bentley K, Hsie L, Shen N, Weder A, et al. Patterns of single-nucleotide polymorphisms in candidate genes for blood-pressure homeostasis. Nat Genet. 1999;22:239-47 pubmed..Overall, the degree of nucleotide polymorphism across these human genes, and orthologous great ape sequences, is highly variable and is correlated with the effects of functional conservation on gene sequences. ..
- Faruque M, Chen G, Doumatey A, Huang H, Zhou J, Dunston G, et al. Association of ATP1B1, RGS5 and SELE polymorphisms with hypertension and blood pressure in African-Americans. J Hypertens. 2011;29:1906-12 pubmed publisher..01). These findings provide additional support for the genetic role of ATP1B1, RGS5 and SELE in hypertension and blood pressure regulation. ..
- Marteau J, Sass C, Pfister M, Lambert D, Noyer Weidner M, Visvikis S. The Leu554Phe polymorphism in the E-selectin gene is associated with blood pressure in overweight people. J Hypertens. 2004;22:305-11 pubmed..0103). These results suggest a BMI-specific effect of L/F554 polymorphism of the E-selectin gene on blood pressure, and strengthen the hypothesis that E-selectin is implicated in hypertension. ..
- Laferriere J, Houle F, Huot J. Adhesion of HT-29 colon carcinoma cells to endothelial cells requires sequential events involving E-selectin and integrin beta4. Clin Exp Metastasis. 2004;21:257-64 pubmed..Overall, our results indicate that the interaction of metastatic cancer cells with endothelial cells implies a specific sequence of signaling events that ultimately leads to an increase in their efficient transendothelial migration. ..
- Haidari M, Hajilooi M, Rafiei A, Rezaii A, Hoseinipanah S. E-selectin genetic variation as a susceptibility factor for ischemic stroke. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2009;28:26-32 pubmed publisher..89, 95% CI: 2.84-12.21, p = 0.0001). Our study demonstrates that the E-selectin S128R and L554F polymorphisms are associated with susceptibility to ischemic stroke. ..
- Ellsworth D, Bielak L, Turner S, Sheedy P, Boerwinkle E, Peyser P. Gender- and age-dependent relationships between the E-selectin S128R polymorphism and coronary artery calcification. J Mol Med (Berl). 2001;79:390-8 pubmed
- Testa A, Benedetto F, Spoto B, Pisano A, Tripepi G, Mallamaci F, et al. The E-selectin gene polymorphism and carotid atherosclerosis in end-stage renal disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2006;21:1921-6 pubmed
- Dimitroff C, Lee J, Rafii S, Fuhlbrigge R, Sackstein R. CD44 is a major E-selectin ligand on human hematopoietic progenitor cells. J Cell Biol. 2001;153:1277-86 pubmed..These findings offer new insights into the structural biology and physiology of CD44, and into the molecular basis of E-selectin-dependent adhesive interactions that direct homing of human HPC to BM. ..
- Rajan S, Ye J, Bai S, Huang F, Guo Y. NF-kappaB, but not p38 MAP kinase, is required for TNF-alpha-induced expression of cell adhesion molecules in endothelial cells. J Cell Biochem. 2008;105:477-86 pubmed publisher..The inhibition of SB at 10 microM on TNF-alpha-induced ICAM-1, VCAM-1 and E-selectin is likely due to the nonspecific effect of SB. ..
- Jilma B, Kovar F, Hron G, Endler G, Marsik C, Eichinger S, et al. Homozygosity in the single nucleotide polymorphism Ser128Arg in the E-selectin gene associated with recurrent venous thromboembolism. Arch Intern Med. 2006;166:1655-9 pubmed..If these findings are confirmed, this may represent a novel risk factor for recurrent VTE. These results also expand our knowledge on the association of this SNP with thrombotic disorders. ..
- Ye S, Usher D, Virgil D, Zhang L, Yochim S, Gupta R. A PstI polymorphism detects the mutation of serine128 to arginine in CD 62E gene - a risk factor for coronary artery disease. J Biomed Sci. 1999;6:18-21 pubmed..This new method should facilitate the screening of this mutant allele in large populations and contribute to the understanding of the molecular mechanism underlying the association of this mutation with CAD. ..
- Shirure V, Reynolds N, Burdick M. Mac-2 binding protein is a novel E-selectin ligand expressed by breast cancer cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e44529 pubmed publisher..In summary, breast cancer cells express Mac-2BP as a novel E-selectin ligand, potentially revealing a new prognostic and therapeutic target for breast cancer. ..
- Alessandro R, Seidita G, Flugy A, Damiani F, Russo A, Corrado C, et al. Role of S128R polymorphism of E-selectin in colon metastasis formation. Int J Cancer. 2007;121:528-35 pubmed..These findings suggest that the E-selectin S128R polymorphism can functionally affect tumor-endothelial interactions as well as motility and signaling properties of neoplastic cells that may modulate the metastatic phenotype. ..
- Zak I, Sarecka B, Krauze J. Synergistic effects between 561A > C and 98G > T polymorphisms of E-selectin gene and hypercholesterolemia in determining the susceptibility to coronary artery disease. Heart Vessels. 2008;23:257-63 pubmed publisher..The present study points to synergistic interactions between 561A > C or 98G > T polymorphisms of E-selectin gene and hypercholesterolemia that cause a significant increase in the susceptibility to CAD. ..
- Tremblay P, Huot J, Auger F. Mechanisms by which E-selectin regulates diapedesis of colon cancer cells under flow conditions. Cancer Res. 2008;68:5167-76 pubmed publisher..Our study is the first to clearly establish, under dynamic and shear stress conditions, how E-selectin regulates diapedesis of circulating cancer cells. These results provide new insights in understanding the metastatic process. ..
- Zhao D, Feng J, Cong S, Zhang W. Association of E-selectin gene polymorphisms with ischemic stroke in a Chinese Han population. J Neurosci Res. 2012;90:1782-7 pubmed publisher..80, 95% CI: 1.58-4.94, P < 0.001, respectively). Our current study demonstrates that the E-selectin SNP A561C is associated with increased risk for the development of ischemic stroke in this subset of the Han Chinese population. ..
- Sarecka Hujar B, Zak I. [Role of the polymorphisms within genes encoding proteins related to endothelial dysfunction in coronary artery disease]. Wiad Lek. 2011;64:294-300 pubmed..g. methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR), E-selectin (CD62E) and intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) and common polymorphisms within genes encoding these molecules in ..
- Khazen D, Jendoubi Ayed S, Aleya W, Sfar I, Mouelhi L, Matri S, et al. Polymorphism in ICAM-1, PECAM-1, E-selectin, and L-selectin genes in Tunisian patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009;21:167-75 pubmed publisher..However, further studies are needed to confirm our findings. ..
- Wenzel K, Felix S, Kleber F, Brachold R, Menke T, Schattke S, et al. E-selectin polymorphism and atherosclerosis: an association study. Hum Mol Genet. 1994;3:1935-7 pubmed..088) as well as in 40 patients aged 40 years or less (allele frequency of arginine 0.21, P = 0.0025). These data suggest that the 128-serine/arginine polymorphism is associated with a higher risk for early severe atherosclerosis. ..
- Suzuki C, Kojima N. A cholesterol-independent membrane microdomain serves as a functional counter-receptor for E-selectin at the Colo201 cell surface and initiates signalling on E-selectin binding. J Biochem. 2007;142:55-64 pubmed
- Podgoreanu M, White W, Morris R, Mathew J, Stafford Smith M, Welsby I, et al. Inflammatory gene polymorphisms and risk of postoperative myocardial infarction after cardiac surgery. Circulation. 2006;114:I275-81 pubmed..This may aid in preoperative identification of high-risk cardiac surgical patients and development of novel cardioprotective strategies. ..
- Zöllner O, Lenter M, Blanks J, Borges E, Steegmaier M, Zerwes H, et al. L-selectin from human, but not from mouse neutrophils binds directly to E-selectin. J Cell Biol. 1997;136:707-16 pubmed..The clear difference between human and mouse L-selectin suggests that E-selectin-binding carbohydrate moieties are attached to different protein scaffolds in different species. ..
- Rao R, Haskard D, Landis R. Enhanced recruitment of Th2 and CLA-negative lymphocytes by the S128R polymorphism of E-selectin. J Immunol. 2002;169:5860-5 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that the S128R polymorphism extends the range of lymphocytes recruited by E-selectin, which may provide a mechanistic link between this polymorphism and vascular inflammatory disease. ..
- Chong B, Murphy J, Kupper T, Fuhlbrigge R. E-selectin, thymus- and activation-regulated chemokine/CCL17, and intercellular adhesion molecule-1 are constitutively coexpressed in dermal microvessels: a foundation for a cutaneous immunosurveillance system. J Immunol. 2004;172:1575-81 pubmed..Coexpression of these molecules on blood vessels in noninflamed skin provides the basis for a model of cutaneous immunosurveillance system active in the absence of pathologic inflammation. ..
- Chen H, Cui B, Wang S, Zhao Z, Sun H, Gu X, et al. The common variants of E-selectin gene in Graves' disease. Genes Immun. 2008;9:182-6 pubmed..This study therefore could provide us to a certain degree the insight that common SELE variants may be associated with susceptibility to GD in Chinese population, though the limitation of sample size and multiple test problems exists. ..
- Bevilacqua M, Stengelin S, Gimbrone M, Seed B. Endothelial leukocyte adhesion molecule 1: an inducible receptor for neutrophils related to complement regulatory proteins and lectins. Science. 1989;243:1160-5 pubmed..Endothelial leukocyte adhesion molecule-1 (ELAM-1), a cell surface glycoprotein expressed by cytokine-activated endothelium, mediates the adhesion of blood ..
- Kontogianni P, Zambirinis C, Theodoropoulos G, Gazouli M, Michalopoulos N, Flessas J, et al. The impact of the stromal cell-derived factor-1-3'A and E-selectin S128R polymorphisms on breast cancer. Mol Biol Rep. 2013;40:43-50 pubmed publisher..Overall, our findings support that the SDF-1-3'A confers increased susceptibility to breast cancer and that the E-selectin S128R CC genotype may be related to poorer prognosis. Investigation in bigger cohorts of patients is warranted. ..
- Wenzel K, Ernst M, Rohde K, Baumann G, Speer A. DNA polymorphisms in adhesion molecule genes--a new risk factor for early atherosclerosis. Hum Genet. 1996;97:15-20 pubmed..Results suggest that these polymorphisms are associated with a higher risk for early severe atherosclerosis. ..
- Li F, Wilkins P, Crawley S, Weinstein J, Cummings R, McEver R. Post-translational modifications of recombinant P-selectin glycoprotein ligand-1 required for binding to P- and E-selectin. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:3255-64 pubmed..These results demonstrate that PSGL-1 requires core 2 O-linked glycans that are sialylated and fucosylated to bind P- and E-selectin. PSGL-1 also requires tyrosine sulfate to bind P-selectin but not E-selectin. ..
- Fang F, Zhang W, Yang L, Wang Z, Liu D. [PECAM-1 and E-selectin expression in vulnerable plague and their relationships to myocardial Leu125Val polymorphism of PECAM-1 and Ser128Arg polymorphism of E-selectin in patients with acute coronary syndrome]. Zhonghua Xin Xue Guan Bing Za Zhi. 2011;39:1110-6 pubmed..E-selectin Ser128Arg polymorphism is associated with ACS, and it might be a risk factor for ACS. ..
- Flex A, Gaetani E, Papaleo P, Straface G, Proia A, Pecorini G, et al. Proinflammatory genetic profiles in subjects with history of ischemic stroke. Stroke. 2004;35:2270-5 pubmed..2 to 248.1), respectively. Proinflammatory genetic profiles are significantly more common in subjects with stroke history. Synergistic effects between proinflammatory genotypes might be potential markers for cerebrovascular diseases. ..
- Thomas S, Zhu F, Schnaar R, Alves C, Konstantopoulos K. Carcinoembryonic antigen and CD44 variant isoforms cooperate to mediate colon carcinoma cell adhesion to E- and L-selectin in shear flow. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:15647-55 pubmed publisher..The novel finding that CEA is an E- and L-selectin ligand may explain the enhanced metastatic potential associated with tumor cell CEA overexpression and the supportive role of selectins in metastasis. ..
- Derzbach L, Balogh A, Bokodi G, Vasarhelyi B, Rigo J. Ser128Arg E-selectin and Thr715Pro P-selectin polymorphisms and severe preeclampsia. J Reprod Med. 2007;52:815-8 pubmed..034) along with maternal age, smoking and body mass index before pregnancy. The polymorphisms tested are not associated with the risk of severe preeclampsia. ..
- Abu Amero K, Al Boudari O, Mohamed G, Dzimiri N. E-selectin S128R polymorphism and severe coronary artery disease in Arabs. BMC Med Genet. 2006;7:52 pubmed..Among the Saudi population, The E-selectin p. S128R (g. A561C) polymorphism was associated with angiographic CAD in Univariate analysis, but lost its association in multivariate analysis. ..
- Takei T, Iida A, Nitta K, Tanaka T, Ohnishi Y, Yamada R, et al. Association between single-nucleotide polymorphisms in selectin genes and immunoglobulin A nephropathy. Am J Hum Genet. 2002;70:781-6 pubmed..67, P=.000016, odds ratio = 1.88 [95% CI 1.41--2.51]). Our results suggest that these eight SNPs in selectin genes may be useful for screening populations susceptible to the IgAN phenotype that involves interstitial infiltration. ..
- Wang X, Zhang J, Du X, Song M, Jia C, Liu H. Association of A561C and G98T polymorphisms in E-selectin gene with coronary artery disease: a meta-analysis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e79301 pubmed publisher..Future investigations with multicenter, large-scale, and multi-ethnic groups are needed. ..
- Sass C, Pallaud C, Zannad F, Visvikis S. Relationship between E-selectin L/F554 polymorphism and blood pressure in the Stanislas cohort. Hum Genet. 2000;107:58-61 pubmed..If confirmed in other studies, these findings would suggest that assessment of common variation in an adhesion molecule could be useful in predicting blood pressure. ..
- Zheng F, Chevalier J, Zhang L, Virgil D, Ye S, Kwiterovich P. An HphI polymorphism in the E-selectin gene is associated with premature coronary artery disease. Clin Genet. 2001;59:58-64 pubmed..cigarette smoking and the S128R mutation) by multiple logistic analysis, the G98T mutation in the E-selectin gene was still a significant predictor of premature CAD [p = 0.022, odds ratio (95%, CI)= 3.58 (1.20-10.67)]. ..
- Ghilardi G, Biondi M, Turri O, Guagnellini E, Scorza R. Ser128Arg gene polymorphism for E-selectin and severity of atherosclerotic arterial disease. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). 2004;45:143-7 pubmed..Our study suggests that the E-selectin polymorphism may be associated with severity of atherosclerotic disease, but does not allow us to conclude that it is actually a risk factor for atherosclerosis. ..
- Kluger M, Shiao S, Bothwell A, Pober J. Cutting Edge: Internalization of transduced E-selectin by cultured human endothelial cells: comparison of dermal microvascular and umbilical vein cells and identification of a phosphoserine-type di-leucine motif. J Immunol. 2002;168:2091-5 pubmed..Control of E-selectin surface expression appears to be phosphoserine dependent, since alanine but not aspartic acid substitution for S581 slows E-selectin internalization. ..
- Wang Z, Xu Y, Chen S, Wang L, Ding H, Lu G, et al. A common missense single nucleotide polymorphism in the E-selectin gene is significantly associated with essential hypertension in the Han population but only weakly associated in the Uygur population. Hypertens Res. 2012;35:413-7 pubmed publisher..The CC genotype of rs5361 might be an independent risk factor for EH among Uygur, Kazakh and Han individuals in the Xinjiang area. ..
- Zarbock A, Ley K, McEver R, Hidalgo A. Leukocyte ligands for endothelial selectins: specialized glycoconjugates that mediate rolling and signaling under flow. Blood. 2011;118:6743-51 pubmed publisher..Although the physiologic characterization of these ligands has been obtained in mice, we also note reported similarities and differences with human selectin ligands. ..
- Yoshida M, Takano Y, Sasaoka T, Izumi T, Kimura A. E-selectin polymorphism associated with myocardial infarction causes enhanced leukocyte-endothelial interactions under flow conditions. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2003;23:783-8 pubmed
- Meigs J, Hu F, Perhanidis J, Hunter D, Rifai N, Manson J. E-selectin genotypes and risk of type 2 diabetes in women. Obes Res. 2005;13:513-8 pubmed..04 to 2.81) relative to those with the SS genotype. Apart from an association in this subgroup, we conclude that the E-selectin variants we examined are not important genetic risk factors for type 2 diabetes in women. ..
- Rauchhaus M, Gross M, Schulz S, Francis D, Greiser P, Norwig A, et al. The E-selectin SER128ARG gene polymorphism and restenosis after successful coronary angioplasty. Int J Cardiol. 2002;83:249-57 pubmed..32%, p=0.027 and 7.14%, p=0.031). In logistic regression, the 128Arg allele emerged as a predictor of restenosis in both studies (p<0.05). The E-selectin 128Arg allele may serve as a risk factor for the development of restenosis. ..
- Hebbar M, Adenis A, Revillion F, Duhamel A, Romano O, Truant S, et al. E-selectin gene S128R polymorphism is associated with poor prognosis in patients with stage II or III colorectal cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2009;45:1871-6 pubmed publisher..This polymorphism detection may permit better selection of patients suitable for adjuvant therapy, especially among those with stage II disease. ..
- Navarro Hernández R, Oregon Romero E, Rangel Villalobos H, Vazquez Del Mercado M, Ruiz Quezada S, Maldonado González M, et al. sE-Selectin expression and A561C polymorphism in relation to rheumatoid arthritis clinical activity. J Rheumatol. 2006;33:1968-72 pubmed..The sE-selectin, RF, and ESR, in addition to clinical indices, were associated with clinical activity in RA. We highlighted the presence of A/A genotype A561C polymorphism in our patients with RA. ..
- Paterson A, Lopes Virella M, Waggott D, Boright A, Hosseini S, Carter R, et al. Genome-wide association identifies the ABO blood group as a major locus associated with serum levels of soluble E-selectin. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2009;29:1958-67 pubmed publisher..ABO is a major locus for serum soluble E-selectin levels. We excluded population stratification, fine-mapped the association to sub-A alleles, and also document association with additional variation in the ABO region. ..
- Sass C, Cheng S, Siest G, Visvikis S. Genetic influences on blood pressure within the Stanislas Cohort. J Hypertens. 2004;22:297-304 pubmed..The APOC3, LPL and GpIIIa genes were found to be associated with BP levels. The contributions of these genes, although modest, are consistent with the polygenic nature of BP levels. ..