Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: DJ 1
Description: Parkinsonism associated deglycase
Alias: DJ-1, DJ1, GATD2, HEL-S-67p, protein/nucleic acid deglycase DJ-1, Parkinson disease (autosomal recessive, early onset) 7, epididymis secretory sperm binding protein Li 67p, maillard deglycase, oncogene DJ1, parkinson protein 7, protein DJ-1, protein deglycase DJ-1
Products: DJ 1
Publications151 found, 100 shown here
- Wu F, Liang Y, Huang Z. [The expression of DJ-1 gene in human hepatocellular carcinoma and its relationship with tumor invasion and metastasis]. Zhonghua Gan Zang Bing Za Zhi. 2009;17:203-6 pubmed..05), but with the capsula of tumor, thrombus in the portal vein (P < 0.05). DJ-1 gene expression may play an important role in the invasion and metastasis of HCC. ..
- Miller D, Ahmad R, Hague S, Baptista M, Canet Aviles R, McLendon C, et al. L166P mutant DJ-1, causative for recessive Parkinson's disease, is degraded through the ubiquitin-proteasome system. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:36588-95 pubmed..These observations are reminiscent of other recessive gene mutations that produce an effective loss of function. The L166P mutation has the simple effect of promoting DJ-1 degradation, thereby reducing net DJ-1 protein within the cell. ..
- Taira T, Takahashi K, Kitagawa R, Iguchi Ariga S, Ariga H. Molecular cloning of human and mouse DJ-1 genes and identification of Sp1-dependent activation of the human DJ-1 promoter. Gene. 2001;263:285-92 pubmed
- Canet Aviles R, Wilson M, Miller D, Ahmad R, McLendon C, Bandyopadhyay S, et al. The Parkinson's disease protein DJ-1 is neuroprotective due to cysteine-sulfinic acid-driven mitochondrial localization. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:9103-8 pubmed..We suggest that DJ-1 protects against neuronal death, and that this is signaled by acidification of the key cysteine residue, C106. ..
- Ren H, Fu K, Mu C, Li B, Wang D, Wang G. DJ-1, a cancer and Parkinson's disease associated protein, regulates autophagy through JNK pathway in cancer cells. Cancer Lett. 2010;297:101-8 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that DJ-1 regulates autophagy in a JNK-dependent manner. Thus, the involvement of DJ-1 in autophagy regulation may be involved in tumorigenesis. ..
- Oda M, Makita M, Iwaya K, Akiyama F, Kohno N, Tsuchiya B, et al. High levels of DJ-1 protein in nipple fluid of patients with breast cancer. Cancer Sci. 2012;103:1172-6 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that breast cancer cells secrete DJ-1 protein in vivo, and that its level is a potential indicator of breast cancer in patients with nipple discharge. ..
- Niki T, Takahashi Niki K, Taira T, Iguchi Ariga S, Ariga H. DJBP: a novel DJ-1-binding protein, negatively regulates the androgen receptor by recruiting histone deacetylase complex, and DJ-1 antagonizes this inhibition by abrogation of this complex. Mol Cancer Res. 2003;1:247-61 pubmed..These results suggest that AR is positively regulated by DJ-1, which antagonizes the function of negative regulators, including DJBP. ..
- Ramsey C, Giasson B. The E163K DJ-1 mutant shows specific antioxidant deficiency. Brain Res. 2008;1239:1-11 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that DJ-1 influences several neuroprotective pathways and that the E163K mutation impairs the mechanism that is more specific to oxidative stress. ..
- Witt A, Lakshminarasimhan M, Remington B, Hasim S, Pozharski E, Wilson M. Cysteine pKa depression by a protonated glutamic acid in human DJ-1. Biochemistry. 2008;47:7430-40 pubmed publisher..Lastly, a search of the Protein Data Bank (PDB) produces several candidate hydrogen-bonded aspartic/glutamic acid-cysteine interactions, which we propose are particularly common in the DJ-1 superfamily. ..
- Gu L, Cui T, Fan C, Zhao H, Zhao C, Lu L, et al. Involvement of ERK1/2 signaling pathway in DJ-1-induced neuroprotection against oxidative stress. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;383:469-74 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of the ERK1/2 signaling pathway with a MEK1/2 inhibitor reversed these changes. We conclude that DJ-1 does affect the ERK1/2 signaling pathway and change the susceptibility of cells to oxidative stress. ..
- Shen Z, Ren Y, Ye D, Guo J, Kang C, Ding H. Significance and relationship between DJ-1 gene and surviving gene expression in laryngeal carcinoma. Eur J Histochem. 2011;55:e9 pubmed publisher..943±1.297 months). DJ-1 and survivin play a vital role in the occurrence and development of laryngeal carcinoma. DJ-1 may promote the carcinogenesis of laryngeal cells by up-regulating the survivin gene expression...
- Pardo M, Garcia A, Thomas B, Piñeiro A, Akoulitchev A, Dwek R, et al. The characterization of the invasion phenotype of uveal melanoma tumour cells shows the presence of MUC18 and HMG-1 metastasis markers and leads to the identification of DJ-1 as a potential serum biomarker. Int J Cancer. 2006;119:1014-22 pubmed..The secretion of DJ-1 by UM cells, and the ability to detect this protein in UM patients' sera implicate it as a potential noninvasive biomarker for this malignancy. ..
- van der Brug M, Blackinton J, Chandran J, Hao L, Lal A, Mazan Mamczarz K, et al. RNA binding activity of the recessive parkinsonism protein DJ-1 supports involvement in multiple cellular pathways. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:10244-9 pubmed publisher..These data implicate a single mechanism for the pleiotropic effects of DJ-1 in different model systems, namely that the protein binds multiple RNA targets in an oxidation-dependent manner. ..
- Malgieri G, Eliezer D. Structural effects of Parkinson's disease linked DJ-1 mutations. Protein Sci. 2008;17:855-68 pubmed publisher..The observed structural and thermodynamic differences are likely to underlie any functional variations between these mutants and the wild type, which in turn are likely responsible for the pathogenicity of these mutations. ..
- Klein C, Djarmati A, Hedrich K, Schäfer N, Scaglione C, Marchese R, et al. PINK1, Parkin, and DJ-1 mutations in Italian patients with early-onset parkinsonism. Eur J Hum Genet. 2005;13:1086-93 pubmed..No mutations were found in the DJ-1 gene. The number of mutation carriers in both the Parkin and the PINK1 gene in our cohort is low but comparable, suggesting that PINK1 has to be considered in EOP. ..
- Fan J, Ren H, Jia N, Fei E, Zhou T, Jiang P, et al. DJ-1 decreases Bax expression through repressing p53 transcriptional activity. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:4022-30 pubmed..Our data provide evidence that the protective effects of DJ-1 on apoptosis are associated with its ability of decreasing Bax level through inhibiting p53 transcriptional activity. ..
- Zhou W, Freed C. DJ-1 up-regulates glutathione synthesis during oxidative stress and inhibits A53T alpha-synuclein toxicity. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:43150-8 pubmed..We conclude that DJ-1 has multiple specific mechanisms for protecting dopamine neurons from cell death. ..
- Yoshida K, Sato Y, Yoshiike M, Nozawa S, Ariga H, Iwamoto T. Immunocytochemical localization of DJ-1 in human male reproductive tissue. Mol Reprod Dev. 2003;66:391-7 pubmed..It is suggested that DJ-1 may play an important and as yet uncharacterized role in spermatogenesis and fertilization in humans. ..
- Bai J, Guo C, Sun W, Li M, Meng X, Yu Y, et al. DJ-1 may contribute to metastasis of non-small cell lung cancer. Mol Biol Rep. 2012;39:2697-703 pubmed publisher..044). DJ-1 expression was also found to be significantly correlated with cancer lymphatic metastasis (P = 0.039). DJ-1 might contribute to the metastasis of NSCLC. ..
- He X, Zheng Z, Li J, Ben Q, Liu J, Zhang J, et al. DJ-1 promotes invasion and metastasis of pancreatic cancer cells by activating SRC/ERK/uPA. Carcinogenesis. 2012;33:555-62 pubmed publisher..These data represent the first identification of an important function of DJ-1, which is to regulate the invasion and metastasis properties of PDAC through the ERK/uPA cascade. ..
- Junn E, Jang W, Zhao X, Jeong B, Mouradian M. Mitochondrial localization of DJ-1 leads to enhanced neuroprotection. J Neurosci Res. 2009;87:123-9 pubmed publisher..These findings further highlight the multifaceted functions of DJ-1 as a cytoprotector in different cellular compartments. ..
- Chen J, Li L, Chin L. Parkinson disease protein DJ-1 converts from a zymogen to a protease by carboxyl-terminal cleavage. Hum Mol Genet. 2010;19:2395-408 pubmed publisher..Our findings support a role for DJ-1 protease in cellular defense against oxidative stress and have important implications for understanding and treating PD. ..
- Tian M, Cui Y, Song G, Zong M, Zhou X, Chen Y, et al. Proteomic analysis identifies MMP-9, DJ-1 and A1BG as overexpressed proteins in pancreatic juice from pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma patients. BMC Cancer. 2008;8:241 pubmed publisher..Pancreatic juice is an ideal specimen for PDAC biomarkers discovery, because it is an exceptionally rich source of proteins released from pancreatic cancer cells...
- Kamp F, Exner N, Lutz A, Wender N, Hegermann J, Brunner B, et al. Inhibition of mitochondrial fusion by ?-synuclein is rescued by PINK1, Parkin and DJ-1. EMBO J. 2010;29:3571-89 pubmed publisher..Finally, mitochondrial fragmentation induced by expression of ?S is rescued by coexpression of PINK1, parkin or DJ-1 but not the PD-associated mutations PINK1 G309D and parkin ?1-79 or by DJ-1 C106A. ..
- Görner K, Holtorf E, Odoy S, Nuscher B, Yamamoto A, Regula J, et al. Differential effects of Parkinson's disease-associated mutations on stability and folding of DJ-1. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:6943-51 pubmed..Thus, structural defects of [E64D]DJ-1 only become apparent upon denaturing conditions, whereas the L166P mutation causes a drastic defect that leads to excessive degradation. ..
- Blackinton J, Lakshminarasimhan M, Thomas K, Ahmad R, Greggio E, Raza A, et al. Formation of a stabilized cysteine sulfinic acid is critical for the mitochondrial function of the parkinsonism protein DJ-1. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:6476-85 pubmed publisher..We therefore conclude that formation of Cys106-sulfinic acid is a key modification that regulates the protective function of DJ-1. ..
- Saito Y, Hamakubo T, Yoshida Y, Ogawa Y, Hara Y, Fujimura H, et al. Preparation and application of monoclonal antibodies against oxidized DJ-1. Significant elevation of oxidized DJ-1 in erythrocytes of early-stage Parkinson disease patients. Neurosci Lett. 2009;465:1-5 pubmed publisher..These results suggest the oxidative modification of DJ-1 in PD patients and the potential application of the antibody for diagnosis of PD at early-stage. ..
- Zhou W, Zhu M, Wilson M, Petsko G, Fink A. The oxidation state of DJ-1 regulates its chaperone activity toward alpha-synuclein. J Mol Biol. 2006;356:1036-48 pubmed
- Cha S, Jung H, Jeon H, An Y, Kim I, Yun S, et al. Crystal structure of filamentous aggregates of human DJ-1 formed in an inorganic phosphate-dependent manner. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:34069-75 pubmed publisher..According to the 2.4-A crystal structure, DJ-1 dimers are linearly stacked through P(i)-mediated interactions to form protofilaments, which are then bundled into a filamentous assembly. ..
- Annesi G, Savettieri G, Pugliese P, D Amelio M, Tarantino P, Ragonese P, et al. DJ-1 mutations and parkinsonism-dementia-amyotrophic lateral sclerosis complex. Ann Neurol. 2005;58:803-7 pubmed..Our findings expand the spectrum of clinical presentations associated with mutations in DJ-1 gene. ..
- Tillman J, Yuan J, Gu G, Fazli L, Ghosh R, Flynt A, et al. DJ-1 binds androgen receptor directly and mediates its activity in hormonally treated prostate cancer cells. Cancer Res. 2007;67:4630-7 pubmed..These data provide a novel mechanism where DJ-1-mediated regulation of AR may promote the progression of prostate cancer to androgen independence. ..
- Bonifati V, Rizzu P, Squitieri F, Krieger E, Vanacore N, van Swieten J, et al. DJ-1( PARK7), a novel gene for autosomal recessive, early onset parkinsonism. Neurol Sci. 2003;24:159-60 pubmed..Elucidating the role of DJ-1 will lead to a better understanding of the pathogenesis of DJ-1-related and common forms of Parkinson's disease. ..
- Yokota T, Sugawara K, Ito K, Takahashi R, Ariga H, Mizusawa H. Down regulation of DJ-1 enhances cell death by oxidative stress, ER stress, and proteasome inhibition. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;312:1342-8 pubmed..These results suggest that loss of protective activity of DJ-1 from neuro-toxicity induced by these stresses contributes to neuronal cell death in AR-EOP with mutant DJ-1. ..
- Sekito A, Koide Yoshida S, Niki T, Taira T, Iguchi Ariga S, Ariga H. DJ-1 interacts with HIPK1 and affects H2O2-induced cell death. Free Radic Res. 2006;40:155-65 pubmed
- Lev N, Ickowicz D, Barhum Y, Lev S, Melamed E, Offen D. DJ-1 protects against dopamine toxicity. J Neural Transm (Vienna). 2009;116:151-60 pubmed publisher..This mechanism elucidates how mutations in DJ-1 prompt PD and imply that modulation of DJ-1 may serve as a novel neuroprotective modality. ..
- Nuytemans K, Meeus B, Crosiers D, Brouwers N, Goossens D, Engelborghs S, et al. Relative contribution of simple mutations vs. copy number variations in five Parkinson disease genes in the Belgian population. Hum Mutat. 2009;30:1054-61 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, though mutations is SNCA, PINK1, and PARK7 are rare, our identification of a SNCA duplication confirmed that screening of these genes remains meaningful. ..
- Li Y, Cui J, Zhang C, Yang D, Chen J, Zan W, et al. High-expression of DJ-1 and loss of PTEN associated with tumor metastasis and correlated with poor prognosis of gastric carcinoma. Int J Med Sci. 2013;10:1689-97 pubmed publisher..Co-existence of abnormal DJ-1 and PTEN expression is likely to serve as an independent predictive factor for prognosis of GC patients. ..
- Hering R, Strauss K, Tao X, Bauer A, Woitalla D, Mietz E, et al. Novel homozygous p.E64D mutation in DJ1 in early onset Parkinson disease (PARK7). Hum Mutat. 2004;24:321-9 pubmed..Recently, two mutations in the DJ1 gene were described as a second cause of autosomal recessive EOPD (PARK7)...
- Macedo M, Verbaan D, Fang Y, van Rooden S, Visser M, Anar B, et al. Genotypic and phenotypic characteristics of Dutch patients with early onset Parkinson's disease. Mov Disord. 2009;24:196-203 pubmed publisher..The low overall mutation frequency indicates that the extrapolation of mutation frequencies from other populations should be applied with caution. ..
- Yuen H, Chan Y, Law S, Srivastava G, El Tanani M, Mak T, et al. DJ-1 could predict worse prognosis in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2008;17:3593-602 pubmed publisher..003) and DJ-1 (P = 0.034) are independent predictors of patient survival. In conclusion, our results suggest that DJ-1 plays a very important role in transformation and progression of ESCC and may be used as a prognostic marker in ESCC. ..
- Miyajima Y, Sato Y, Oka H, Utsuki S, Kondo K, Tanizaki Y, et al. Prognostic significance of nuclear DJ-1 expression in astrocytoma. Anticancer Res. 2010;30:265-9 pubmed..We herein demonstrated for the first time that the DJ-1 molecule might therefore play an important role as a tumor suppressor in astrocytomas...
- Foti R, Zucchelli S, Biagioli M, Roncaglia P, Vilotti S, Calligaris R, et al. Parkinson disease-associated DJ-1 is required for the expression of the glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor receptor RET in human neuroblastoma cells. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:18565-74 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, it suggests that hypoxia may play an important role in PD. ..
- Ramsey C, Giasson B. L10p and P158DEL DJ-1 mutations cause protein instability, aggregation, and dimerization impairments. J Neurosci Res. 2010;88:3111-24 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings suggest that diverse aberrant mechanisms, including alterations in protein stability and protein folding, are associated with the pathogenicity of the L10P and P158DEL DJ-1 variants. ..
- Huai Q, Sun Y, Wang H, Chin L, Li L, Robinson H, et al. Crystal structure of DJ-1/RS and implication on familial Parkinson's disease. FEBS Lett. 2003;549:171-5 pubmed..As a result, the conformational changes may diminish the DJ-1 binding with its partner, leading to the familial Parkinson's disease caused by the single L166P mutation. ..
- Abou Sleiman P, Healy D, Quinn N, Lees A, Wood N. The role of pathogenic DJ-1 mutations in Parkinson's disease. Ann Neurol. 2003;54:283-6 pubmed..No mutations were found in our cohort of later onset sporadic pathologically confirmed cases, suggesting that DJ-1 mutations may only rarely contribute to the cause of this more typical sporadic form of the disease. ..
- Shinbo Y, Taira T, Niki T, Iguchi Ariga S, Ariga H. DJ-1 restores p53 transcription activity inhibited by Topors/p53BP3. Int J Oncol. 2005;26:641-8 pubmed..These findings suggest that DJ-1 positively regulates p53 through Topors-mediated sumoylation. ..
- Zhang D, Lim S, Koay E. Proteomic identification of down-regulation of oncoprotein DJ-1 and proteasome activator subunit 1 in hepatitis B virus-infected well-differentiated hepatocellular carcinoma. Int J Oncol. 2007;31:577-84 pubmed..These findings elucidate, at least in part, the molecular events underlying the mechanism and the potential roles of DJ-1 and PA28alpha in the onset of hepatocarcinogenesis. ..
- Liu F, Nguyen J, Hulleman J, Li L, Rochet J. Mechanisms of DJ-1 neuroprotection in a cellular model of Parkinson's disease. J Neurochem. 2008;105:2435-53 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that DJ-1 acts as a versatile pro-survival factor in dopaminergic neurons, activating different protective mechanisms in response to a diverse range of PD-related insults. ..
- Zucchelli S, Vilotti S, Calligaris R, Lavina Z, Biagioli M, Foti R, et al. Aggresome-forming TTRAP mediates pro-apoptotic properties of Parkinson's disease-associated DJ-1 missense mutations. Cell Death Differ. 2009;16:428-38 pubmed publisher..These results suggest an active role of DJ-1 missense mutants in the control of cell death and position TTRAP as a new player in the arena of neurodegeneration. ..
- Waak J, Weber S, Görner K, Schall C, Ichijo H, Stehle T, et al. Oxidizable residues mediating protein stability and cytoprotective interaction of DJ-1 with apoptosis signal-regulating kinase 1. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:14245-57 pubmed publisher..We suggest that impairments in oxidative conformation changes of DJ-1 might contribute to PD neurodegeneration. ..
- Honbou K, Suzuki N, Horiuchi M, Niki T, Taira T, Ariga H, et al. The crystal structure of DJ-1, a protein related to male fertility and Parkinson's disease. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:31380-4 pubmed..DJ-1 may induce conformational changes to acquire catalytic activity in response to oxidative stress. ..
- Moore D, Zhang L, Dawson T, Dawson V. A missense mutation (L166P) in DJ-1, linked to familial Parkinson's disease, confers reduced protein stability and impairs homo-oligomerization. J Neurochem. 2003;87:1558-67 pubmed..These properties of the L166P mutation may contribute to the loss of normal DJ-1 function and are likely to be the underlying cause of early onset PD in affected members of the Italian kindred. ..
- Taira T, Saito Y, Niki T, Iguchi Ariga S, Takahashi K, Ariga H. DJ-1 has a role in antioxidative stress to prevent cell death. EMBO Rep. 2004;5:213-8 pubmed..These results clearly showed that DJ-1 has a role in the antioxidative stress reaction and that mutations of DJ-1 lead to cell death, which is observed in PD. ..
- Xu J, Zhong N, Wang H, Elias J, Kim C, Woldman I, et al. The Parkinson's disease-associated DJ-1 protein is a transcriptional co-activator that protects against neuronal apoptosis. Hum Mol Genet. 2005;14:1231-41 pubmed..Mutations that impair the transcriptional co-activator function of DJ-1 render dopaminergic neurons vulnerable to apoptosis and may contribute to the pathogenesis of PD. ..
- González Polo R, Niso Santano M, Moran J, Ortiz Ortiz M, Bravo San Pedro J, Soler G, et al. Silencing DJ-1 reveals its contribution in paraquat-induced autophagy. J Neurochem. 2009;109:889-98 pubmed
- Zhu X, Wen W, Lei W, Chai L, Hou W, Wen Y, et al. [DJ-1 expression in laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma and its relationship with tumor recurrence and metastasis]. Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2010;45:497-501 pubmed..To detect the expression of DJ-1 in laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma (LSCC) and to study the relationship between DJ-1 expression and clinical indexes of LSCC...
- McCoy M, Cookson M. DJ-1 regulation of mitochondrial function and autophagy through oxidative stress. Autophagy. 2011;7:531-2 pubmed
- Sun S, An C, Pu X. DJ-1 protein protects dopaminergic neurons against 6-OHDA/MG-132-induced neurotoxicity in rats. Brain Res Bull. 2012;88:609-16 pubmed publisher..Therefore, DJ-1 protein protected dopaminergic neurons in two PD model rats by increasing antioxidant capacity and inhibiting ?-synuclein expression. ..
- Pei X, Wu T, Li B, Tian X, Li Z, Yang Q. Increased expression of macrophage migration inhibitory factor and DJ-1 contribute to cell invasion and metastasis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Int J Med Sci. 2014;11:106-15 pubmed publisher..The data provided evidence that increased expression of MIF and DJ-1 induced cell invasion and metastasis of NPC, supporting the idea that MIF and DJ-1 may play important roles as regulators in the progression of NPC. ..
- Abou Sleiman P, Healy D, Wood N. Causes of Parkinson's disease: genetics of DJ-1. Cell Tissue Res. 2004;318:185-8 pubmed..It therefore remains to be determined whether these patients form Lewy bodies and/or Lewy neurites, the eosinophilic fibrillary inclusions that contain predominantly alpha-synuclein and that are the pathological hallmark of PD. ..
- Choi J, Woo M, Ma H, Kang S, Sung Y, Yong S, et al. Analysis of PARK genes in a Korean cohort of early-onset Parkinson disease. Neurogenetics. 2008;9:263-9 pubmed publisher..We identified genetic variants in PARKIN, PINK1, LRRK2, and SNCA as a cause or genetic risk factors for PD in 25% of Korean EOPD, and mutation of PARKIN was the most common genetic cause. ..
- Mo J, Jung J, Yoon J, Hong J, Kim M, Ann E, et al. DJ-1 modulates the p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway through physical interaction with apoptosis signal-regulating kinase 1. J Cell Biochem. 2010;110:229-37 pubmed publisher..DJ-1 blocked both the homo-oligomerization of ASK1 and inhibited ASK1 activity. Taken together, our data strongly suggest that DJ-1, by directly inhibiting ASK1, may act as a negative regulator in ASK1 signaling cascades. ..
- Ren H, Fu K, Wang D, Mu C, Wang G. Oxidized DJ-1 interacts with the mitochondrial protein BCL-XL. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:35308-17 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that DJ-1 protects cells against UVB-induced cell death dependent on its oxidation and its association with mitochondrial Bcl-X(L). ..
- Miyama A, Saito Y, Yamanaka K, Hayashi K, Hamakubo T, Noguchi N. Oxidation of DJ-1 induced by 6-hydroxydopamine decreasing intracellular glutathione. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27883 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results suggest that electrophilic p-quinone formed from 6-OHDA induces DJ-1 oxidation by decreasing intracellular GSH. ..
- Wang C, Fang M, Zhang M, Li W, Guan H, Sun Y, et al. The positive correlation between DJ-1 and ?-catenin expression shows prognostic value for patients with glioma. Neuropathology. 2013;33:628-36 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, DJ-1 and ?-catenin may contribute to the development and recurrence of glioma and are valuable prognostic factors for glioma patients. DJ-1 may regulate ?-catenin expression via PTEN and p-Akt...
- Sajjad M, Green E, Miller Fleming L, Hands S, Herrera F, Campesan S, et al. DJ-1 modulates aggregation and pathogenesis in models of Huntington's disease. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:755-66 pubmed publisher..Our findings clearly establish DJ-1 as a potential therapeutic target for HD and provide the basis for further studies into the role of DJ-1 in protein misfolding diseases. ..
- Zhang L, Shimoji M, Thomas B, Moore D, Yu S, Marupudi N, et al. Mitochondrial localization of the Parkinson's disease related protein DJ-1: implications for pathogenesis. Hum Mol Genet. 2005;14:2063-73 pubmed..Our findings of DJ-1's mitochondrial localization may have important implications for understanding the pathogenesis of PD. ..
- Shinbo Y, Niki T, Taira T, Ooe H, Takahashi Niki K, Maita C, et al. Proper SUMO-1 conjugation is essential to DJ-1 to exert its full activities. Cell Death Differ. 2006;13:96-108 pubmed publisher..Both L166P-expressing cells and DJ-1-knockdown cells were found to be highly susceptible to UV-induced cell apoptosis...
- Paisan Ruiz C, Lang A, Kawarai T, Sato C, Salehi Rad S, Fisman G, et al. LRRK2 gene in Parkinson disease: mutation analysis and case control association study. Neurology. 2005;65:696-700 pubmed..The common coding variations in the LRRK2 gene neither constitute strong PD risk factors nor modify the age at onset; however, the possibility of a modest risk effect remains to be assessed in large datasets. ..
- Batelli S, Albani D, Rametta R, Polito L, Prato F, Pesaresi M, et al. DJ-1 modulates alpha-synuclein aggregation state in a cellular model of oxidative stress: relevance for Parkinson's disease and involvement of HSP70. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e1884 pubmed publisher..DJ-1 inactivation may thus promote alpha-syn aggregation and the related toxicity, and in this model HSP70 is involved in the antioxidant response and in the regulation of alpha-syn fibril formation. ..
- Bonifati V, Rizzu P, van Baren M, Schaap O, Breedveld G, Krieger E, et al. Mutations in the DJ-1 gene associated with autosomal recessive early-onset parkinsonism. Science. 2003;299:256-9 pubmed..Elucidating the physiological role of DJ-1 protein may promote understanding of the mechanisms of brain neuronal maintenance and pathogenesis of Parkinson's disease. ..
- Zhong N, Kim C, Rizzu P, Geula C, Porter D, Pothos E, et al. DJ-1 transcriptionally up-regulates the human tyrosine hydroxylase by inhibiting the sumoylation of pyrimidine tract-binding protein-associated splicing factor. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:20940-8 pubmed..Therefore, our results suggest DJ-1 as a regulator of protein sumoylation and directly link the loss of DJ-1 expression and transcriptional dysfunction to impaired dopamine synthesis. ..
- Nagakubo D, Taira T, Kitaura H, Ikeda M, Tamai K, Iguchi Ariga S, et al. DJ-1, a novel oncogene which transforms mouse NIH3T3 cells in cooperation with ras. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1997;231:509-13 pubmed..Moreover, DJ-1 translocated from cytoplasm to nuclei in the S phase of the cell cycle. DJ-1 is thus suggested to be a novel mitogen-dependent oncogene product involved in a Ras-related signal transduction pathway. ..
- Rizzu P, Hinkle D, Zhukareva V, Bonifati V, Severijnen L, Martinez D, et al. DJ-1 colocalizes with tau inclusions: a link between parkinsonism and dementia. Ann Neurol. 2004;55:113-8 pubmed..Our study extends the view that different neurodegenerative diseases may have similar pathological mechanisms, and that these processes likely include DJ-1. ..
- Ooe H, Iguchi Ariga S, Ariga H. Establishment of specific antibodies that recognize C106-oxidized DJ-1. Neurosci Lett. 2006;404:166-9 pubmed..These antibodies were found by Western blot analysis to recognize DJ-1 specifically oxidized at C106 but not at other cysteines. These antibodies should be useful to study pathophysiologies of PD and AD. ..
- Koide Yoshida S, Niki T, Ueda M, Himeno S, Taira T, Iguchi Ariga S, et al. DJ-1 degrades transthyretin and an inactive form of DJ-1 is secreted in familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy. Int J Mol Med. 2007;19:885-93 pubmed..These results suggest that oxidative stress to cells abrogates secretion of DJ-1 and that secreted DJ-1 degrades aggregated TTR to protect against the onset of FAP. ..
- Krebiehl G, Ruckerbauer S, Burbulla L, Kieper N, Maurer B, Waak J, et al. Reduced basal autophagy and impaired mitochondrial dynamics due to loss of Parkinson's disease-associated protein DJ-1. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9367 pubmed publisher..Our study provides evidence for a critical role of DJ-1 in mitochondrial homeostasis by connecting basal autophagy and mitochondrial integrity in Parkinson's disease. ..
- Irrcher I, Aleyasin H, Seifert E, Hewitt S, Chhabra S, Phillips M, et al. Loss of the Parkinson's disease-linked gene DJ-1 perturbs mitochondrial dynamics. Hum Mol Genet. 2010;19:3734-46 pubmed publisher..Our findings define a mechanism by which the DJ-1-dependent mitochondrial defects contribute to the increased sensitivity to oxidative stress-induced cell death that has been previously reported. ..
- Chen C. Mechanism of BAG1 repair on Parkinson's disease-linked DJ1 mutation. J Biomol Struct Dyn. 2012;30:1-12 pubmed publisherMutant oncogene DJ1 L166P has been linked to a familial form of early-onset Parkinson's disease (PD). The DJ1 mutant deformed C-terminal helices and prevented the formation of a functional DJ1 dimer...
- Eerola J, Hernandez D, Launes J, Hellstrom O, Hague S, Gulick C, et al. Assessment of a DJ-1 (PARK7) polymorphism in Finnish PD. Neurology. 2003;61:1000-2 pubmed..168_185del) within exon 1 of DJ-1 contributes to the risk of sporadic PD in a Finnish case-control series. This gene does not play a major role in the genetic predisposition to PD in this population. ..
- Herrera F, Zucchelli S, Jezierska A, Lavina Z, Gustincich S, Carloni P. On the oligomeric state of DJ-1 protein and its mutants associated with Parkinson Disease. A combined computational and in vitro study. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:24905-14 pubmed..Our combined computational and experimental approach is next used to identify a mutant (R28A) that, in contrast to L166P, destabilizes the dimer subunit-subunit interface without significantly changing secondary structure elements. ..
- Zhong N, Xu J. Synergistic activation of the human MnSOD promoter by DJ-1 and PGC-1alpha: regulation by SUMOylation and oxidation. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:3357-67 pubmed publisher..Consequent abnormal mitochondrial gene expression may contribute to the development of sporadic PD...