Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: caveolin-1
Description: caveolin 1
Alias: BSCL3, CGL3, LCCNS, MSTP085, PPH3, VIP21, caveolin-1, caveolin 1, caveolae protein, 22kDa, cell growth-inhibiting protein 32
- Di Vizio D, Morello M, Sotgia F, Pestell R, Freeman M, Lisanti M. An absence of stromal caveolin-1 is associated with advanced prostate cancer, metastatic disease and epithelial Akt activation. Cell Cycle. 2009;8:2420-4 pubmed..This provides important new clinical evidence for paracrine signaling between prostate cancer epithelial cells and the tumor stromal micro-environment, especially related to disease progression and metastasis. ..
- Luanpitpong S, Talbott S, Rojanasakul Y, Nimmannit U, Pongrakhananon V, Wang L, et al. Regulation of lung cancer cell migration and invasion by reactive oxygen species and caveolin-1. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:38832-40 pubmed publisher..The up-regulation of Cav-1 and cell motility by hydroxyl free radical suggests an important role of this ROS as a positive regulator of tumor progression. ..
- Sengupta A, Mateo Lozano S, Tirado O, Notario V. Auto-stimulatory action of secreted caveolin-1 on the proliferation of Ewing's sarcoma cells. Int J Oncol. 2011;38:1259-65 pubmed publisher..These findings strongly support the notion that secreted CAV1 may also contribute to the malignant properties of EWS. ..
- El Gendi S, Mostafa M, El Gendi A. Stromal caveolin-1 expression in breast carcinoma. Correlation with early tumor recurrence and clinical outcome. Pathol Oncol Res. 2012;18:459-69 pubmed publisher..Thus, stromal marker expression and epithelial-stromal cross talk may be critical for tumor progression and metastasis. ..
- Felicetti F, Parolini I, Bottero L, Fecchi K, Errico M, Raggi C, et al. Caveolin-1 tumor-promoting role in human melanoma. Int J Cancer. 2009;125:1514-22 pubmed publisher..A direct correlation between Cav-1 levels, the amount of microvesicles released in the culture medium and MMP-9 expression was also observed. ..
- Sun M, Guan Z, Liu S, Zhou X, Wang N, Shao S, et al. Caveolin-1 interferes cell growth of lung cancer NCI-H446 cell through the interactions with phospho-ERK1/2, estrogen receptor and progestin receptor. Biomed Pharmacother. 2012;66:242-8 pubmed publisher..Taken together, CAV-1 affected cell growth of lung cancer NCI-H446 cell through the interactions with p-ERK1/2, ER and PR. ..
- Xia H, Khalil W, Kahm J, Jessurun J, Kleidon J, Henke C. Pathologic caveolin-1 regulation of PTEN in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Am J Pathol. 2010;176:2626-37 pubmed publisher..This creates a membrane microenvironment depleted of inhibitory phosphatase activity, facilitating the aberrant activation PI3K/Akt and pathological proliferation. ..
- Xue J, Chen H, Diao L, Chen X, Xia D. Expression of caveolin-1 in tongue squamous cell carcinoma by quantum dots. Eur J Histochem. 2010;54:e20 pubmed..An increased expression of Cav-1 in the stepwise carcinogenesis from NTM, HTM, TPL to PTSCC suggested that Cav-1 might be an oncogene in the development of tongue squamous cell carcinoma. ..
- Salem A, Bonuccelli G, Bevilacqua G, Arafat H, Pestell R, Sotgia F, et al. Caveolin-1 promotes pancreatic cancer cell differentiation and restores membranous E-cadherin via suppression of the epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Cell Cycle. 2011;10:3692-700 pubmed publisher..Thus, we provide evidence that Cav-1 functions as a crucial modulator of EMT and cell differentiation in pancreatic cancer. ..
- Faggi F, Mitola S, Sorci G, Riuzzi F, Donato R, Codenotti S, et al. Phosphocaveolin-1 enforces tumor growth and chemoresistance in rhabdomyosarcoma. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e84618 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data point to pCav-1 as an important and therapeutically valuable target for overcoming the progression and multidrug resistance of RMS. ..
- Tahir S, Yang G, Goltsov A, Song K, Ren C, Wang J, et al. Caveolin-1-LRP6 signaling module stimulates aerobic glycolysis in prostate cancer. Cancer Res. 2013;73:1900-11 pubmed publisherb>Caveolin 1 (Cav-1) is a plasma membrane-associated protein with the capacity to modulate signaling activities in a context-dependent fashion...
- Nho R, Peterson M, Hergert P, Henke C. FoxO3a (Forkhead Box O3a) deficiency protects Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF) fibroblasts from type I polymerized collagen matrix-induced apoptosis via caveolin-1 (cav-1) and Fas. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e61017 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that the pathologically altered PTEN/Akt axis inactivates FoxO3a down-regulating cav-1 and Fas expression. This confers IPF fibroblasts with an apoptosis-resistant phenotype and may be responsible for IPF progression. ..
- Han F, Gu D, Chen Q, Zhu H. Caveolin-1 acts as a tumor suppressor by down-regulating epidermal growth factor receptor-mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling pathway in pancreatic carcinoma cell lines. Pancreas. 2009;38:766-74 pubmed publisher..The cav1 may act as a candidate tumor suppressor gene in human panceatic carcinoma, and this effect may be related with the inhibition of EGFR-MAPK signal cascade. ..
- Wang X, Nadeau P, Lo Y, Mergia A. Caveolin-1 modulates HIV-1 envelope-induced bystander apoptosis through gp41. J Virol. 2010;84:6515-26 pubmed publisher..Our studies shed new light on the potential role of Cav-1 in limiting HIV pathogenesis and the development of a novel therapeutic strategy in treating HIV-1-infected patients. ..
- Haines P, Samuel G, Cohen H, Trojanowska M, Bujor A. Caveolin-1 is a negative regulator of MMP-1 gene expression in human dermal fibroblasts via inhibition of Erk1/2/Ets1 signaling pathway. J Dermatol Sci. 2011;64:210-6 pubmed publisher..Cav-1 could potentially be a therapeutic target in diseases with deregulated extracellular matrix (ECM) turnover. ..
- Koo J, Park S, Kim S, Lee S, Park B. The impact of caveolin protein expression in tumor stroma on prognosis of breast cancer. Tumour Biol. 2011;32:787-99 pubmed publisher..In addition, the expression loss of caveolin-1 in tumor stroma was correlated with a shorter disease-free survival and an overall survival (p<0.001). In conclusion, the loss of stromal caveolin-1 is related to poor prognosis in IDC. ..
- Orlichenko L, Weller S, Cao H, Krueger E, Awoniyi M, Beznoussenko G, et al. Caveolae mediate growth factor-induced disassembly of adherens junctions to support tumor cell dissociation. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:4140-52 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings provide new insights into how cells might disassemble cell-cell contacts to help mediate the remodeling of adherens junctions, and tumor cell metastasis and invasion. ..
- Cosset E, Godet J, Entz Werle N, Guerin E, Guenot D, Froelich S, et al. Involvement of the TGF? pathway in the regulation of ?5 ?1 integrins by caveolin-1 in human glioblastoma. Int J Cancer. 2012;131:601-11 pubmed publisher..The status of caveolin-1/?(5) ?(1) integrins/TGF?RI might be a useful marker of the tumor evolution/prognosis as well as a predictor of anti-TGF? or anti-?(5) ?(1) integrin therapies. ..
- Zhu H, Yue J, Pan Z, Wu H, Cheng Y, Lu H, et al. Involvement of Caveolin-1 in repair of DNA damage through both homologous recombination and non-homologous end joining. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12055 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that Cav-1 may play a critical role in sensing genotoxic stress and in orchestrating the response of cells to DNA damage through regulating the important molecules involved in maintaining genomic integrity. ..
- Ayala G, Morello M, Frolov A, You S, Li R, Rosati F, et al. Loss of caveolin-1 in prostate cancer stroma correlates with reduced relapse-free survival and is functionally relevant to tumour progression. J Pathol. 2013;231:77-87 pubmed publisher..They also suggest that intracrine production of androgens, a process relevant to castration resistance, may occur in the stroma. ..
- Nethe M, Anthony E, Fernandez Borja M, Dee R, Geerts D, Hensbergen P, et al. Focal-adhesion targeting links caveolin-1 to a Rac1-degradation pathway. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:1948-58 pubmed publisher..These data extend the canonical model of Rac1 inactivation and uncover Cav1-regulated polyubiquitylation as an additional mechanism to control Rac1 signalling. ..
- Hoffmann C, Berking A, Agerer F, Buntru A, Neske F, Chhatwal G, et al. Caveolin limits membrane microdomain mobility and integrin-mediated uptake of fibronectin-binding pathogens. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:4280-91 pubmed publisher..This process might not only limit host cell invasion by integrin-binding bacterial pathogens, but might also be physiologically relevant for integrin-mediated cell adhesion. ..
- Patani N, Lambros M, Natrajan R, Dedes K, Geyer F, Ward E, et al. Non-existence of caveolin-1 gene mutations in human breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012;131:307-10 pubmed publisher..Taken together with other studies, which have also failed to identify CAV1 mutations, our data call into question the existence and biological and clinical relevance of CAV1 gene mutations in human breast cancer. ..
- Quest A, Lobos González L, Nunez S, Sanhueza C, Fernandez J, Aguirre A, et al. The caveolin-1 connection to cell death and survival. Curr Mol Med. 2013;13:266-81 pubmed..Here, we will focus on discussing how Caveolin-1 modulates cell death and survival pathways and how this may contribute to a better understanding of the ambiguous role this protein plays in cancer. ..
- Bernatchez P, Sharma A, Bauer P, Marin E, Sessa W. A noninhibitory mutant of the caveolin-1 scaffolding domain enhances eNOS-derived NO synthesis and vasodilation in mice. J Clin Invest. 2011;121:3747-55 pubmed publisher..They also suggest a therapeutic application for regulating the eNOS/Cav-1 interaction in diseases characterized by decreased NO release. ..
- Agelaki S, Spiliotaki M, Markomanolaki H, Kallergi G, Mavroudis D, Georgoulias V, et al. Caveolin-1 regulates EGFR signaling in MCF-7 breast cancer cells and enhances gefitinib-induced tumor cell inhibition. Cancer Biol Ther. 2009;8:1470-7 pubmed..This is associated with enhanced antitumor effects of gefitinib suggesting a role for EGFR inhibition in caveolin-1 overexpressing breast cancers. ..
- Song Y, Xue L, Du S, Sun M, Hu J, Hao L, et al. Caveolin-1 knockdown is associated with the metastasis and proliferation of human lung cancer cell line NCI-H460. Biomed Pharmacother. 2012;66:439-47 pubmed publisher..The expression of ?-catenin increased and the level of E-cadherin decreased. In summary, our findings provide experimental evidence that CAV-1 may function as a proproliferative and antimetastatic gene in NCI-H460 cell line. ..
- Sathish V, Abcejo A, Vanoosten S, Thompson M, Prakash Y, Pabelick C. Caveolin-1 in cytokine-induced enhancement of intracellular Ca(2+) in human airway smooth muscle. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2011;301:L607-14 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results indicate that caveolin-1 plays an important role in airway inflammation by modulating the effect of specific cytokines on [Ca(2+)](i). ..
- Boopathi E, Gomes C, Goldfarb R, John M, Srinivasan V, Alanzi J, et al. Transcriptional repression of Caveolin-1 (CAV1) gene expression by GATA-6 in bladder smooth muscle hypertrophy in mice and human beings. Am J Pathol. 2011;178:2236-51 pubmed publisher..GATA-6-induced transcriptional repression represents a new regulatory mechanism of CAV1 gene expression in pathologic BSM, and may serve as a target for new therapy for BPH-induced bladder dysfunction in aging men. ..
- Zhang Z, Cai L, Zheng S, Xiong Y, Dong J. Overexpression of caveolin-1 in hepatocellular carcinoma with metastasis and worse prognosis: correlation with vascular endothelial growth factor, microvessel density and unpaired artery. Pathol Oncol Res. 2009;15:495-502 pubmed publisher..Caveolin-1 expression correlates positively with VEGF, MVD and UA. These results suggest that caveolin-1 may play an important role in the progression of HCC and angiogenesis. ..
- Chen H, Fan L, Gao J, Ouyang J, Zhang Y. Differential expression and function of the caveolin-1 gene in non-small cell lung carcinoma. Oncol Rep. 2011;25:359-66 pubmed publisher..Deregulation of Cav-1 expression in NSCLCs may not correlate with mutation. ..
- Truong T, Aubin D, Falstrault L, Brodeur M, Brissette L. SR-BI, CD36, and caveolin-1 contribute positively to cholesterol efflux in hepatic cells. Cell Biochem Funct. 2010;28:480-9 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results show that SR-BI is clearly involved in cholesterol efflux in mouse and human hepatic cells, while CD36 plays a significant role in human cells. ..
- Verma P, Ostermeyer Fay A, Brown D. Caveolin-1 induces formation of membrane tubules that sense actomyosin tension and are inhibited by polymerase I and transcript release factor/cavin-1. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:2226-40 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate a new function for PTRF/cavin-1, a new functional interaction between caveolin-1 and Rab8 and that actomyosin interactions can induce tension on caveolin-1-containing membranes. ..
- Simmons G, Taylor H, Hildreth J. Caveolin-1 suppresses human immunodeficiency virus-1 replication by inhibiting acetylation of NF-?B. Virology. 2012;432:110-9 pubmed publisher..Since hypoacetylated p65 has been shown to inhibit transcription, we conclude that caveolin-1 inhibits HIV-1 transcription through a NF-?B-dependent mechanism. ..
- Witkiewicz A, Dasgupta A, Sotgia F, Mercier I, Pestell R, Sabel M, et al. An absence of stromal caveolin-1 expression predicts early tumor recurrence and poor clinical outcome in human breast cancers. Am J Pathol. 2009;174:2023-34 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Cav-1 functions as a tumor suppressor in the stromal microenvironment. ..
- Kuehn M, Wang K, Roos B, Stone E, Kwon Y, Alward W, et al. Chromosome 7q31 POAG locus: ocular expression of caveolins and lack of association with POAG in a US cohort. Mol Vis. 2011;17:430-5 pubmed..We were unable to detect this association in our patients from Iowa, suggesting that this risk factor may not have a strong effect in all populations. ..
- Sáinz Jaspeado M, Martín Liberal J, Lagares Tena L, Mateo Lozano S, Garcia del Muro X, Tirado O. Caveolin-1 in sarcomas: friend or foe?. Oncotarget. 2011;2:305-12 pubmed..This review is focused on the role of caveolin-1 in several soft tissue and bone sarcomas and discusses the use of this protein as a potential diagnostic and prognostic marker and as a therapeutic target. ..
- Li M, Chen H, Diao L, Zhang Y, Xia C, Yang F. Caveolin-1 and VEGF-C promote lymph node metastasis in the absence of intratumoral lymphangiogenesis in non-small cell lung cancer. Tumori. 2010;96:734-43 pubmed..This study aimed to define the caveolin-1 and VEGF-C expression and lymph vessel density in NSCLC and look for correlations with clinicopathological features in NSCLC...
- Tse E, Ko F, Tung E, Chan L, Lee T, Ngan E, et al. Caveolin-1 overexpression is associated with hepatocellular carcinoma tumourigenesis and metastasis. J Pathol. 2012;226:645-53 pubmed publisher..The definitive role of Cav1 in promoting HCC tumourigenesis was demonstrated, and we have shown for the first time in a mouse model that Cav1 promotes HCC metastasis. ..
- Zhao Y, Zhao Y, Mirza M, Huang J, Potula H, Vogel S, et al. Persistent eNOS activation secondary to caveolin-1 deficiency induces pulmonary hypertension in mice and humans through PKG nitration. J Clin Invest. 2009;119:2009-18 pubmed publisher..Using mice with genetic deletions of caveolin 1 (Cav1) and eNOS (Nos3), we demonstrate here that chronic eNOS activation secondary to loss of caveolin-1 can ..
- Mundy D, Li W, Luby Phelps K, Anderson R. Caveolin targeting to late endosome/lysosomal membranes is induced by perturbations of lysosomal pH and cholesterol content. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:864-80 pubmed publisher..We conclude that caveolin-1 normally traffics to and from the cytoplasmic surface of lysosomes during intracellular cholesterol trafficking. ..
- Yan J, Lu Q, Dong J, Li X, Ma K, Cai L. Hepatitis B virus X protein suppresses caveolin-1 expression in hepatocellular carcinoma by regulating DNA methylation. BMC Cancer. 2012;12:353 pubmed publisher..Transfected HBx significantly suppressed caveolin-1 promoter activity (P?=?0.001). HBx protein induces methylation of the caveolin-1 promoter region and suppresses its expression...
- Prade E, Tobiasch M, Hitkova I, Schäffer I, Lian F, Xing X, et al. Bile acids down-regulate caveolin-1 in esophageal epithelial cells through sterol responsive element-binding protein. Mol Endocrinol. 2012;26:819-32 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that bile acid-mediated down-regulation of Cav1 marks early changes in the squamous epithelium, which may contribute to onset of Barrett esophagus metaplasia and progression to BAC. ..
- Volonte D, Galbiati F. Inhibition of thioredoxin reductase 1 by caveolin 1 promotes stress-induced premature senescence. EMBO Rep. 2009;10:1334-40 pubmed publisher..We show that caveolin 1, the structural protein component of caveolae, is a TrxR1-binding protein by demonstrating that the scaffolding ..
- Thorleifsson G, Walters G, Hewitt A, Masson G, Helgason A, Dewan A, et al. Common variants near CAV1 and CAV2 are associated with primary open-angle glaucoma. Nat Genet. 2010;42:906-9 pubmed publisher..42, P = 0.0021). The risk variant identified here is located close to CAV1 and CAV2, both of which are expressed in the trabecular meshwork and retinal ganglion cells that are involved in the pathogenesis of POAG. ..
- Truong T, Brodeur M, Falstrault L, Rhainds D, Brissette L. Expression of caveolin-1 in hepatic cells increases oxidized LDL uptake and preserves the expression of lipoprotein receptors. J Cell Biochem. 2009;108:906-15 pubmed publisher..Thus, hepatic caveolin-1 expression has significant effects on OxLDL metabolism and on lipoprotein receptor levels. ..
- Gvaramia D, Blaauboer M, Hanemaaijer R, Everts V. Role of caveolin-1 in fibrotic diseases. Matrix Biol. 2013;32:307-15 pubmed publisher..Finally, we consider this homeostatic function of caveolin-1 as a possible novel approach in treatment of fibroproliferative diseases. ..
- Chanvorachote P, Nimmannit U, Lu Y, Talbott S, Jiang B, Rojanasakul Y. Nitric oxide regulates lung carcinoma cell anoikis through inhibition of ubiquitin-proteasomal degradation of caveolin-1. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:28476-84 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate a novel pathway for NO regulation of Cav-1, which could be a key mechanism of anoikis resistance in tumor cells. ..
- Trimmer C, Bonuccelli G, Katiyar S, Sotgia F, Pestell R, Lisanti M, et al. Cav1 suppresses tumor growth and metastasis in a murine model of cutaneous SCC through modulation of MAPK/AP-1 activation. Am J Pathol. 2013;182:992-1004 pubmed publisher..In summary, we demonstrate that loss of Cav1 affects several characteristics associated with aggressive human skin tumors and that this protein may be an important modulator of tumor growth and invasion in cSCC. ..
- Qian N, Ueno T, Kawaguchi Sakita N, Kawashima M, Yoshida N, Mikami Y, et al. Prognostic significance of tumor/stromal caveolin-1 expression in breast cancer patients. Cancer Sci. 2011;102:1590-6 pubmed publisher..Further studies are required to understand the regulatory mechanism of Cav-1 in the tumor microenvironment. ..
- Lin S, Wang X, Nadeau P, Mergia A. HIV infection upregulates caveolin 1 expression to restrict virus production. J Virol. 2010;84:9487-96 pubmed publisherb>Caveolin 1 (Cav-1) is a major protein of a specific membrane lipid raft known as caveolae...
- Cassoni P, Daniele L, Maldi E, Righi L, Tavaglione V, Novello S, et al. Caveolin-1 expression in lung carcinoma varies according to tumour histotype and is acquired de novo in brain metastases. Histopathology. 2009;55:20-7 pubmed publisher..Cav-1 immunoreactivity in lung carcinoma is histotype-dependent and acquired de novo in brain metastases, suggesting a site-specific phenotypic shift in secondary lesions. ..
- Quann K, Gonzales D, Mercier I, Wang C, Sotgia F, Pestell R, et al. Caveolin-1 is a negative regulator of tumor growth in glioblastoma and modulates chemosensitivity to temozolomide. Cell Cycle. 2013;12:1510-20 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, Cav-1 negatively regulates key cell growth and survival pathways and may be an effective biomarker for predicting response to chemotherapy in glioblastoma. ..
- Suchaoin W, Chanvorachote P. Caveolin-1 attenuates hydrogen peroxide-induced oxidative damage to lung carcinoma cells. Anticancer Res. 2012;32:483-90 pubmed..A novel role of Cav-1 protein is the suppression of cellular oxidative stress induced by H(2)O(2). ..
- Sun J, Gao J, Hu J, Fan L, Zhu X, Subahan R, et al. Expression of Cav-1 in tumour cells, rather than in stromal tissue, may promote cervical squamous cell carcinoma proliferation, and correlates with high-risk HPV infection. Oncol Rep. 2012;27:1733-40 pubmed publisher..The results presented here suggest that expression of Cav-1 in the tumour cells, rather than in the stromal tissue surrounding the tumour, may promote cervical SCC cell proliferation, and correlates with high-risk HPV infection. ..
- Du Z, Hu C, Shao Q, Huang M, Kou C, Zhu X, et al. Upregulation of caveolin-1 and CD147 expression in nasopharyngeal carcinoma enhanced tumor cell migration and correlated with poor prognosis of the patients. Int J Cancer. 2009;125:1832-41 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that Cav-1 and CD147 overexpression predict poor NPC prognosis and enhanced tumor cell migration, which is associated with MMP-3 and MMP-11 (active) secretion. ..
- Wu K, Queenan M, Brody J, Potoczek M, Sotgia F, Lisanti M, et al. Loss of stromal caveolin-1 expression in malignant melanoma metastases predicts poor survival. Cell Cycle. 2011;10:4250-5 pubmed publisher..0001). In conclusion, high expression of stromal Cav-1 correlates with longer survival in malignant melanoma metastases, and high expression of Cav-1 in melanoma cells correlates with longer survival in primary malignant melanoma. ..
- Chunhacha P, Pongrakhananon V, Rojanasakul Y, Chanvorachote P. Caveolin-1 regulates Mcl-1 stability and anoikis in lung carcinoma cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2012;302:C1284-92 pubmed publisher..Together, our results indicate a novel role of Cav-1 in anoikis regulation through Mcl-1 interaction and stabilization, which provides a new insight to the pathogenesis of metastatic lung cancer and its potential treatment. ..
- Guruswamy S, Rao C. Synergistic effects of lovastatin and celecoxib on caveolin-1 and its down-stream signaling molecules: Implications for colon cancer prevention. Int J Oncol. 2009;35:1037-43 pubmed..Overall, our data suggest that a combination of COX-2 and HMG-R inhibitors synergistically inhibits caveolin-1 and its associated signaling pathways. ..
- Salani B, Maffioli S, Hamoudane M, Parodi A, Ravera S, Passalacqua M, et al. Caveolin-1 is essential for metformin inhibitory effect on IGF1 action in non-small-cell lung cancer cells. FASEB J. 2012;26:788-98 pubmed publisher..Cav-1 and OCT1 expression was associated with the antiproliferative effect of metformin in Calu-6 cells (IC(50)=18 mM). In summary, these data suggest that Cav-1 is required for metformin action in NSCLC cells. ..
- Halim H, Luanpitpong S, Chanvorachote P. Acquisition of anoikis resistance up-regulates caveolin-1 expression in human non-small cell lung cancer cells. Anticancer Res. 2012;32:1649-58 pubmed..Our findings show CAV1 to be a key player in anoikis resistance and provide a novel mechanism regarding cancer cell adaptation, resulting in acquisition of anoikis resistance in lung cancer cells. ..
- Sloan K, Marquez H, Li J, Cao Y, Hinds A, O Hara C, et al. Increased PEA3/E1AF and decreased Net/Elk-3, both ETS proteins, characterize human NSCLC progression and regulate caveolin-1 transcription in Calu-1 and NCI-H23 NSCLC cell lines. Carcinogenesis. 2009;30:1433-42 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Net may suppress caveolin-1 transcription in primary lung tumors and that PEA3 may activate caveolin-1 transcription in metastatic lymph nodes. ..
- Gumulec J, Sochor J, Hlavna M, Sztalmachova M, Krizkova S, Babula P, et al. Caveolin-1 as a potential high-risk prostate cancer biomarker. Oncol Rep. 2012;27:831-41 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that Cav-1 may be an interesting tool for the prediction of disease burden. ..
- Ha T, Her N, Lee M, Ryu B, Lee J, Han J, et al. Caveolin-1 increases aerobic glycolysis in colorectal cancers by stimulating HMGA1-mediated GLUT3 transcription. Cancer Res. 2012;72:4097-109 pubmed publisher..Together, these data show that elevated CAV1 upregulates glucose uptake and ATP production through HMGA1-mediated GLUT3 transcription, suggesting that CAV1 may render tumor cells growth advantages by enhancing aerobic glycolysis. ..
- Ritz D, Vuk M, Kirchner P, Bug M, Schütz S, Hayer A, et al. Endolysosomal sorting of ubiquitylated caveolin-1 is regulated by VCP and UBXD1 and impaired by VCP disease mutations. Nat Cell Biol. 2011;13:1116-23 pubmed publisher..These results extend the cellular functions of VCP to mediating sorting of ubiquitylated cargo in the endocytic pathway and indicate that impaired trafficking of caveolin may contribute to pathogenesis in individuals with VCP mutations. ..
- Sloan E, Ciocca D, Pouliot N, Natoli A, Restall C, Henderson M, et al. Stromal cell expression of caveolin-1 predicts outcome in breast cancer. Am J Pathol. 2009;174:2035-43 pubmed publisher..These studies suggest that stromal caveolin-1 expression may be a potential therapeutic target and a valuable prognostic indicator of breast cancer progression. ..
- Burgermeister E, Friedrich T, Hitkova I, Regel I, Einwächter H, Zimmermann W, et al. The Ras inhibitors caveolin-1 and docking protein 1 activate peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor ? through spatial relocalization at helix 7 of its ligand-binding domain. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:3497-510 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a novel mechanism of PPAR? regulation by which Ras/MAPK inhibitors act as scaffold proteins that sequester and sensitize PPAR? to ligands, limiting proliferation of gastric epithelial cells. ..
- Witkiewicz A, Kline J, Queenan M, Brody J, Tsirigos A, Bilal E, et al. Molecular profiling of a lethal tumor microenvironment, as defined by stromal caveolin-1 status in breast cancers. Cell Cycle. 2011;10:1794-809 pubmed
- Hansen C, Bright N, Howard G, Nichols B. SDPR induces membrane curvature and functions in the formation of caveolae. Nat Cell Biol. 2009;11:807-14 pubmed publisher..STB colocalizes extensively with both SDPR and caveolin 1. Loss of caveolae reduces the propensity of STB to induce membrane tubulation...
- Tang Y, Zeng X, He F, Liao Y, Qian N, Toi M. Caveolin-1 is related to invasion, survival, and poor prognosis in hepatocellular cancer. Med Oncol. 2012;29:977-84 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our clinical and in vitro data indicate that the status of caveolin-1 expression may be one of causative factors for the invasion and poor prognosis in HCC. ..
- Bajmoczi M, Gadjeva M, Alper S, Pier G, Golan D. Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator and caveolin-1 regulate epithelial cell internalization of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2009;297:C263-77 pubmed publisher..Thus efficient initiation of innate immunity to P. aeruginosa requires formation of an epithelial "internalization platform" involving both caveolin-1 and functional, laterally mobile CFTR. ..
- Testa A, Spoto B, Sanguedolce M, Parlongo R, Pisano A, Tripepi G, et al. eNOS and caveolin-1 gene polymorphisms interaction and intima media thickness: a proof of concept study in ESRD patients. Am J Hypertens. 2012;25:103-8 pubmed publisher..001) and in CSA (P = 0.038) in these patients. Overall these findings form preliminary evidence that disturbed interaction between CAV-1 and eNOS may be of relevance for arterial disease in ESRD and perhaps in other human diseases. ..
- Barresi V, Buttarelli F, Vitarelli E, Arcella A, Antonelli M, Giangaspero F. Caveolin-1 expression in diffuse gliomas: correlation with the proliferation index, epidermal growth factor receptor, p53, and 1p/19q status. Hum Pathol. 2009;40:1738-46 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the present study indicates that caveolin-1 is not useful as diagnostic marker to differentiate grade II astrocytomas from oligodendrogliomas. ..
- Goetz J, Minguet S, Navarro Lérida I, Lazcano J, Samaniego R, Calvo E, et al. Biomechanical remodeling of the microenvironment by stromal caveolin-1 favors tumor invasion and metastasis. Cell. 2011;146:148-63 pubmed publisher..Thus, Cav1 modulates tissue responses through force-dependent architectural regulation of the microenvironment. ..