Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: CASP4
Description: caspase 4
Alias: ICE(rel)II, ICEREL-II, ICH-2, Mih1, Mih1/TX, caspase-4, CASP-4, ICE and Ced-3 homolog 2, ICE(rel)-II, apoptotic cysteine protease Mih1/TX, caspase 4, apoptosis-related cysteine peptidase, caspase 4, apoptosis-related cysteine protease, protease ICH-2, protease TX
Publications124 found, 100 shown here
- Valentin Acevedo A, Sinquett F, Covey L. c-Rel deficiency increases caspase-4 expression and leads to ER stress and necrosis in EBV-transformed cells. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25467 pubmed publisher..Overall, these findings reveal the importance of c-Rel in maintaining LCL viability and that decreased expression results in ER stress and a default response leading to necrotic cell death. ..
- Das A, Banik N, Ray S. Flavonoids activated caspases for apoptosis in human glioblastoma T98G and U87MG cells but not in human normal astrocytes. Cancer. 2010;116:164-76 pubmed publisher..Apigenin, (-)-epigallocatechin, EGCG, and genistein did not induce apoptosis in human normal astrocytes. Results strongly suggest that flavonoids are potential therapeutic agents for induction of apoptosis in human glioblastoma cells. ..
- Yang S, Huang A, Tang N, Liu H, Liao C, Ji B, et al. Bisdemethoxycurcumin-induced S phase arrest through the inhibition of cyclin A and E and induction of apoptosis via endoplasmic reticulum stress and mitochondria-dependent pathways in human lung cancer NCI H460 cells. Environ Toxicol. 2016;31:1899-1908 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we suggest that BDMC induced cell apoptosis through multiple signal pathways such as extrinsic, intrinsic and ES tress pathway. Â© 2015 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Environ Toxicol 31: 1899-1908, 2016. ..
- Tang H, Yang L. Activation of the unfolded protein response in aged human lenses. Mol Med Rep. 2015;12:389-93 pubmed publisher..These results indicated that activation of the UPRâ€‘induced ROS production suppressed the antioxidant status and triggered the apoptotic pathway, ultimately leading to the formation of age-related cataracts. ..
- Silwedel C, Haarmann A, Fehrholz M, Claus H, Speer C, Glaser K. More than just inflammation: Ureaplasma species induce apoptosis in human brain microvascular endothelial cells. J Neuroinflammation. 2019;16:38 pubmed publisher..01, Up3 p < 0.001), caspase 4 (Uu8 p < 0.05, Up3 p < 0.01), NOD-like receptor pyrin domain-containing 3 (Uu8 p < 0...
- Napier B, Brubaker S, Sweeney T, Monette P, Rothmeier G, Gertsvolf N, et al. Complement pathway amplifies caspase-11-dependent cell death and endotoxin-induced sepsis severity. J Exp Med. 2016;213:2365-2382 pubmed..Our results highlight a novel role for complement and the Cpb1-C3-C3aR pathway in proinflammatory signaling, caspase-11 cell death, and sepsis severity. ..
- Bartling B, Niemann K, Pliquett R, Treede H, Simm A. Altered gene expression pattern indicates the differential regulation of the immune response system as an important factor in cardiac aging. Exp Gerontol. 2019;117:13-20 pubmed publisher..bacteria/virus-induced genes (lysozyme 1/2, interferon-activated genes), and pro-inflammatory caspases (Casp1, Casp4, Casp12)...
- Li X, Zhang X, Li Z, Yang Y, Zhang D, Zheng H, et al. Effect of Matrix Metallopeptidase 13 on the Function of Mouse Bone Marrow-derived Dendritic Cells. Chin Med J (Engl). 2017;130:717-721 pubmed publisher..39, P = 0.019), LTBR (control group vs. MMP-13-silenced group: 9.23 ± 1.25 vs. 6.24 ± 1.15, P = 0.012), and CASP4 (control group vs. MMP-13-silenced group: 2.07 ± 0.56 vs. 0.35 ± 0.35, P = 0.002)...
- Mallama C, McCoy Simandle K, Cianciotto N. The Type II Secretion System of Legionella pneumophila Dampens the MyD88 and Toll-Like Receptor 2 Signaling Pathway in Infected Human Macrophages. Infect Immun. 2017;85: pubmed publisher..pneumophila T2S system dampens the signaling of the TLR2 pathway in infected human macrophages. We also document the importance of PKR, TRIF, and TBK1 in cytokine secretion during L. pneumophila infection of macrophages. ..
- Shen L, Wen N, Xia M, Zhang Y, Liu W, Xu Y, et al. Calcium efflux from the endoplasmic reticulum regulates cisplatin-induced apoptosis in human cervical cancer HeLa cells. Oncol Lett. 2016;11:2411-2419 pubmed
- Gonzalez Juarbe N, Bradley K, Riegler A, Reyes L, Brissac T, Park S, et al. Bacterial Pore-Forming Toxins Promote the Activation of Caspases in Parallel to Necroptosis to Enhance Alarmin Release and Inflammation During Pneumonia. Sci Rep. 2018;8:5846 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study describes a previously unrecognized role for caspase activation in parallel to necroptosis, and indicates that their activity plays a critical pro-inflammatory role during bacterial pneumonia. ..
- Kao R, Lai G, Chow J, Liao C, Zheng Y, Tsai W, et al. Opposite Regulation of CHOP and GRP78 and Synergistic Apoptosis Induction by Selenium Yeast and Fish Oil via AMPK Activation in Lung Adenocarcinoma Cells. Nutrients. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..The AMPK-dependent synergism suggests the combination of SY and FO for chemoprevention and integrative treatment of LADC. ..
- Ko Y, Lien J, Liu H, Hsu S, Ji B, Yang M, et al. Demethoxycurcumin induces the apoptosis of human lung cancer NCI-H460 cells through the mitochondrial-dependent pathway. Oncol Rep. 2015;33:2429-37 pubmed publisher..Based on the findings, we suggest that DMC may be used as a novel anticancer agent for the treatment of lung cancer in the future. ..
- Zheng L, Yang M, Kuo C, Lin C, Fan M, Chou Y, et al. Norcantharidin-induced Apoptosis of AGS Human Gastric Cancer Cells Through Reactive Oxygen Species Production, and Caspase- and Mitochondria-dependent Signaling Pathways. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:6031-6042 pubmed..Based on these observations, we suggest that NCTD-induced apoptotic cell death may be through mitochondria- and caspase-dependent pathways. ..
- Wu M, Lee C, Huang T, Huang K, Tang C, Liu S, et al. MLN4924, a Protein Neddylation Inhibitor, Suppresses the Growth of Human Chondrosarcoma through Inhibiting Cell Proliferation and Inducing Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress-Related Apoptosis. Int J Mol Sci. 2018;20: pubmed publisher..Finally, MLN4924-mediated antichondrosarcoma properties can be accompanied by the stimulation of ER stress⁻related apoptosis, implying that targeting neddylation by MLN4924 is a novel therapeutic strategy for treating chondrosarcoma. ..
- Moon J, Cho S. Nobiletin Induces Protective Autophagy Accompanied by ER-Stress Mediated Apoptosis in Human Gastric Cancer SNU-16 Cells. Molecules. 2016;21: pubmed publisher..Thus, the combination of nobiletin and an autophagy inhibitor could be a promising treatment for gastric cancer patients. ..
- Pilchova I, Klacanova K, Dibdiakova K, Saksonova S, Stefániková A, Vidomanová E, et al. Proteasome Stress Triggers Death of SH-SY5Y and T98G Cells via Different Cellular Mechanisms. Neurochem Res. 2017;42:3170-3185 pubmed publisher..In T98G cells, bortezomib-induced expression of caspase 4, documented after 24 h of treatment, with further activation of caspase 3, observed after 48 h of treatment...
- Silva T, de Andrade P, Paiva Martins F, Valentão P, Pereira D. In Vitro Anti-Inflammatory and Cytotoxic Effects of Aqueous Extracts from the Edible Sea Anemones Anemonia sulcata and Actinia equina. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..This work provides new insights on the toxicity and biological potential of sea anemones increasingly present in human nutrition. ..
- Sollberger G, Strittmatter G, Grossi S, Garstkiewicz M, auf dem Keller U, French L, et al. Caspase-1 activity is required for UVB-induced apoptosis of human keratinocytes. J Invest Dermatol. 2015;135:1395-1404 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a protective role of caspase-1 in keratinocytes during UVB-induced skin cancer development through the induction of apoptosis. ..
- Zheng Y, Wu Y, Chen X, Jiang X, Wang K, Hu F. Chinese Propolis Exerts Anti-Proliferation Effects in Human Melanoma Cells by Targeting NLRP1 Inflammatory Pathway, Inducing Apoptosis, Cell Cycle Arrest, and Autophagy. Nutrients. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..Collectively, CP is a promising candidate for drug development for melanoma therapy. ..
- Bettaieb A, Averill Bates D. Thermotolerance induced at a mild temperature of 40Â°C alleviates heat shock-induced ER stress and apoptosis in HeLa cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1853:52-62 pubmed publisher..disruption of calcium homeostasis and activated the calpain-calpastatin proteolytic system and ER resident caspase 4. Pre-exposure to mild hyperthermia (40Â°C) alleviated the induction of cytotoxicity and ER stress by ..
- De Falco G, Colarusso C, Terlizzi M, Popolo A, Pecoraro M, Commodo M, et al. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease-Derived Circulating Cells Release IL-18 and IL-33 under Ultrafine Particulate Matter Exposure in a Caspase-1/8-Independent Manner. Front Immunol. 2017;8:1415 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that combustion-generated UFPs induce the release of caspase-4-dependent inflammasome from PBMCs of COPD patients compared with healthy subjects, shedding new light into the biology of this key complex in COPD...
- Kuo K, Ho I, Shi C, Wu J, Lin W, Tsai Y, et al. MLN4924, a novel protein neddylation inhibitor, suppresses proliferation and migration of human urothelial carcinoma: In vitro and in vivo studies. Cancer Lett. 2015;363:127-36 pubmed publisher..We concluded that MLN4924 induces apoptosis and cell cycle arrest, as well as activation of cell stress responses in human UC. These findings imply MLN4924 provides a novel strategy for the treatment of UC. ..
- Gu L, Zhang X, Xing W, Xu J, Lu H. Andrographolide-induced apoptosis in human renal tubular epithelial cells: Roles of endoplasmic reticulum stress and inflammatory response. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2016;45:257-64 pubmed publisher..It provided evidence that ER stress and inflammation would be significant mechanisms responsible for AD-induced apoptosis in addition to oxidative stress. ..
- Su D, Zhang Q, Wang X, He P, Zhu Y, Zhao J, et al. Two types of human malignant melanoma cell lines revealed by expression patterns of mitochondrial and survival-apoptosis genes: implications for malignant melanoma therapy. Mol Cancer Ther. 2009;8:1292-304 pubmed publisher..PPP2R1B, PPP2R1A, and FIS1), antioxidant (HSPD1, GSS, SOD1, ATOX1, and CAT), and proapoptotic (ENDOG, BAK1, CASP2, CASP4, PDCD5, HTRA2, SEPT4, TNFSF10, and PRODH) genes expressed at lower levels in type A than in type B...
- Jia C, Chen H, Zhang J, Zhou K, Zhuge Y, Niu C, et al. Role of pyroptosis in cardiovascular diseases. Int Immunopharmacol. 2019;67:311-318 pubmed publisher..We also organized new and emerging evidence suggesting that pyroptosis signaling pathways may be potential therapeutic targets in cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Zhang R, Wang R, Chen Q, Chang H. Inhibition of autophagy using 3-methyladenine increases cisplatin-induced apoptosis by increasing endoplasmic reticulum stress in U251 human glioma cells. Mol Med Rep. 2015;12:1727-32 pubmed publisher..Treatment with 3-MA combined with cisplatin increased cisplatin-induced apoptosis by increasing ER stress. Therefore, the inhibition of autophagy has the potential to improve cisplatin chemotherapy. ..
- Yang H, Huang P, Chen S, Cho H, Kumar K, Lu F, et al. Induction of macrophage cell-cycle arrest and apoptosis by humic acid. Environ Mol Mutagen. 2014;55:741-50 pubmed publisher..These findings yield new insight into the mechanisms by which HA exposure may trigger atherosclerosis through modulation of the macrophage-mediated immune system. ..
- Zhao Y, Shao F. Diverse mechanisms for inflammasome sensing of cytosolic bacteria and bacterial virulence. Curr Opin Microbiol. 2016;29:37-42 pubmed publisher..Inflammasome sensing of cytosolic bacteria employs much more diversified biochemical mechanisms, compared with Toll-like receptors-mediated recognition on the membrane. ..
- Graham J, Winchell C, Kurten R, Voth D. Development of an Ex Vivo Tissue Platform To Study the Human Lung Response to Coxiella burnetii. Infect Immun. 2016;84:1438-1445 pubmed publisher..burnetii-triggered inflammasome activation, indicating an atypical response after intracellular detection. Together, these studies provide a novel platform for studying the human innate immune response to C. burnetii. ..
- Zuo S, Kong D, Wang C, Liu J, Wang Y, Wan Q, et al. CRTH2 promotes endoplasmic reticulum stress-induced cardiomyocyte apoptosis through m-calpain. EMBO Mol Med. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..Our findings revealed an unexpected role of CRTH2 in promoting ER stress-induced cardiomyocyte apoptosis, suggesting that CRTH2 inhibition has therapeutic potential for ischemic cardiomyopathy. ..
- Bierschenk D, Boucher D, Schroder K. Salmonella-induced inflammasome activation in humans. Mol Immunol. 2017;86:38-43 pubmed publisher..Here we review and discuss recent advances in our understanding of inflammasome-mediated host defence against Salmonella particularly in human cells, and their implications for cellular survival and cytokine secretion. ..
- Du L, He F, Kuang L, Tang W, Li Y, Chen D. eNOS/iNOS and endoplasmic reticulum stress-induced apoptosis in the placentas of patients with preeclampsia. J Hum Hypertens. 2017;31:49-55 pubmed publisher..Upregulation of CHOP and iNOS was consistent of apoptosis increasing indicated by TUNEL staining and caspase 4 expression upregulation in PE placenta...
- Hoskins J, Jia J, Flandez M, Parikh H, Xiao W, Collins I, et al. Transcriptome analysis of pancreatic cancer reveals a tumor suppressor function for HNF1A. Carcinogenesis. 2014;35:2670-8 pubmed publisher..g. BIRC2/5/6 and AKT) and increased expression of pro-apoptotic genes (e.g. CASP4/9/10 and APAF1)...
- Ali S, Wong V, Kikly K, Fredrickson T, Keller P, DeWolf W, et al. Apoptosis in polycystic kidney disease: involvement of caspases. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2000;278:R763-9 pubmed..use of various substrates in enzyme activity assays, we have demonstrated a greater than sevenfold increase in caspase 4 activity and a sixfold increase in caspase 3 activity...
- Bamberger C, Martinez Bartolome S, Montgomery M, Pankow S, Hulleman J, Kelly J, et al. Deducing the presence of proteins and proteoforms in quantitative proteomics. Nat Commun. 2018;9:2320 pubmed publisher..Thus, PCQ extends current analyses in quantitative proteomics and facilitates finding differentially regulated proteins and proteoforms. ..
- Russo A, Behl B, Banerjee I, Rathinam V. Emerging Insights into Noncanonical Inflammasome Recognition of Microbes. J Mol Biol. 2018;430:207-216 pubmed publisher..This review discusses the recent findings related to the mechanism of activation of the noncanonical inflammasome and its biological functions. ..
- Basova L, Tang X, Umasume T, Gromova A, Zyrianova T, Shmushkovich T, et al. Manipulation of Panx1 Activity Increases the Engraftment of Transplanted Lacrimal Gland Epithelial Progenitor Cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:5654-5665 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that blocking Panx1 and/or Casp4 activities is a beneficial strategy to enhance donor cell engraftment and LG regeneration through the reduction of ..
- Abe H, Tanaka T, Kimura M, Mizukami S, Saito F, Imatanaka N, et al. Cuprizone decreases intermediate and late-stage progenitor cells in hippocampal neurogenesis of rats in a framework of 28-day oral dose toxicity study. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2015;287:210-21 pubmed publisher..At 600mg/kg, mRNA levels of Bdnf and Chrna7 were decreased, while those of Casp4, Casp12 and Trib3 were increased in the dentate gyrus...
- Klieser E, Illig R, StÃ¡ttner S, Primavesi F, JÃ¡ger T, Swierczynski S, et al. Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress in Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumors is Linked to Clinicopathological Parameters and Possible Epigenetic Regulations. Anticancer Res. 2015;35:6127-36 pubmed..imunoglobluin protein (BiP), C/EBP homologous protein (CHOP), activating transcription factor 4 (ATF4) and caspase 4) as well as histone deacetylases (HDACs) by a tissue microarray (TMA) of 49 human pNET resected between 1997 and ..
- El Jamal S, Taylor E, Abd Elmageed Z, Alamodi A, Selimovic D, Alkhateeb A, et al. Interferon gamma-induced apoptosis of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma is connected to indoleamine-2,3-dioxygenase via mitochondrial and ER stress-associated pathways. Cell Div. 2016;11:11 pubmed publisher..In addition to the elucidation of the role of IDO in the modulation of apoptosis, our study provides new insights into the molecular mechanisms of IFN?-induced apoptosis of HNSCC cells during the course of immune therapy. ..
- Pillon N, Chan K, Zhang S, Mejdani M, Jacobson M, Ducos A, et al. Saturated fatty acids activate caspase-4/5 in human monocytes, triggering IL-1Î² and IL-18 release. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2016;311:E825-E835 pubmed publisher..These caspases represent potential, novel, therapeutic targets to taper obesity-associated inflammation. ..
- Kang S, Lee Y, Kang S, Cho S, Yoon W, Lim J, et al. Caspase-4 is essential for saikosaponin a-induced apoptosis acting upstream of caspase-2 and ?-H2AX in colon cancer cells. Oncotarget. 2017;8:100433-100448 pubmed publisher..Given that SSa-induced apoptosis appeared to be specific to certain cell types including HCC cells, SSa may be a promising cancer therapy agent in certain types of cancer...
- Cavalcanti M, Steilmann C, Failing K, Bergmann M, Kliesch S, Weidner W, et al. Apoptotic gene expression in potentially fertile and subfertile men. Mol Hum Reprod. 2011;17:415-20 pubmed publisher..DNA fragmentation and apoptosis, we investigated whether the DNA fragmentation factor 40 (DFF40) ratio or caspase (Casp4, Casp6) and tumor necrosis factor superfamily member 10 (TNFSF10) ratio together with the P1/P2 ratio represents a ..
- Qu X, Xia X, Lai Z, Zhong T, Li G, Fan L, et al. Apoptosis-like cell death induced by nematocyst venom from Chrysaora helvola Brandt jellyfish and an in vitro evaluation of commonly used antidotes. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2016;180:31-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that PLA2 and Ca(2+) are not directly involved in the cytotoxicity of NV from C. helvola. Our work also suggests caution regarding the choice for first aid for envenomation by C. helvola jellyfish. ..
- Srinivasula S, Ahmad M, Fernandes Alnemri T, Litwack G, Alnemri E. Molecular ordering of the Fas-apoptotic pathway: the Fas/APO-1 protease Mch5 is a CrmA-inhibitable protease that activates multiple Ced-3/ICE-like cysteine proteases. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:14486-91 pubmed..On the other hand, Mch4 could be a second upstream protease that is responsible for activation of the same protease cascade in CrmA-insensitive apoptotic pathways. ..
- Grimstad Ø, Husebye H, Espevik T. TLR3 mediates release of IL-1? and cell death in keratinocytes in a caspase-4 dependent manner. J Dermatol Sci. 2013;72:45-53 pubmed publisher..TLR3 stimulation in keratinocytes induces a caspase-4 dependent release of pro-IL-1?, but further processing to active IL-1? is limited. Furthermore, TLR3 stimulation results in pyroptotic- and apoptotic cell death. ..
- GarcÃa de la Cadena S, Massieu L. Caspases and their role in inflammation and ischemic neuronal death. Focus on caspase-12. Apoptosis. 2016;21:763-77 pubmed publisher..Understanding the actions of rodent caspase-12 and human caspase-4 will help us to elucidate their role in different pathological conditions, which to date is not well understood. ..
- Jing H, Duan D, Zhou H, Hu Q, Lei T. Adipose?derived mesenchymal stem cell?facilitated TRAIL expression in melanoma treatment in vitro. Mol Med Rep. 2016;14:195-201 pubmed publisher..Further investigation is required to evaluate and confirm the in vivo ability of TRAIL-ADSCs in therapy of melanoma in animal models. ..
- Awad F, Assrawi E, Jumeau C, Georgin Lavialle S, Cobret L, Duquesnoy P, et al. Impact of human monocyte and macrophage polarization on NLR expression and NLRP3 inflammasome activation. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175336 pubmed publisher..Unlike caspase-3, the expression of inflammasome-related CASP1 (encodes caspase-1) and CASP4 (encodes caspase-4) is up-regulated in M1 but not in M2 cells...
- Silva L, Girard D. Human eosinophils are direct targets to nanoparticles: Zinc oxide nanoparticles (ZnO) delay apoptosis and increase the production of the pro-inflammatory cytokines IL-1? and IL-8. Toxicol Lett. 2016;259:11-20 pubmed publisher..We conclude that, indeed, human eosinophils represent potential new direct targets to NPs, ZnO in the present case. ..
- Chu L, Indramohan M, Ratsimandresy R, Gangopadhyay A, Morris E, Monack D, et al. The oxidized phospholipid oxPAPC protects from septic shock by targeting the non-canonical inflammasome in macrophages. Nat Commun. 2018;9:996 pubmed publisher..Therefore, oxPAPC and its derivatives might provide a basis for therapies that target non-canonical inflammasomes during Gram-negative bacterial sepsis. ..
- Song T, Li K, Zhou W, Zhou J, Jin Y, Dai H, et al. A Type III Effector NleF from EHEC Inhibits Epithelial Inflammatory Cell Death by Targeting Caspase-4. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:4101745 pubmed publisher..The last four amino acids of the NleF carboxy terminus are essential in inhibiting caspase-4-dependent inflammatory cell death. ..
- Tang B, Deng C. [Pyroptosis and stroke]. Sheng Li Xue Bao. 2018;70:93-98 pubmed..We reviewed the relationship between pyroptosis and stroke to provide some perspectives on future researches in this field. ..
- Li C, He J, Chen J, Zhao J, Gu D, Hixson J, et al. Genome-Wide Gene-Sodium Interaction Analyses on Blood Pressure: The Genetic Epidemiology Network of Salt-Sensitivity Study. Hypertension. 2016;68:348-55 pubmed publisher..46×10(-11)), CLGN (P=3.68×10(-13)), MGAT4D (P=4.73×10(-11)), ARHGAP42 (P?1.00×10(-12)), CASP4 (P=1.31×10(-8)), and LINC01478 (P=6.75×10(-10)) that were associated with at least 1 BP phenotype...
- Man S, Karki R, Kanneganti T. Molecular mechanisms and functions of pyroptosis, inflammatory caspases and inflammasomes in infectious diseases. Immunol Rev. 2017;277:61-75 pubmed publisher..Here, we describe the central role of inflammatory caspases and pyroptosis in mediating immunity to infection and clearance of pathogens. ..
- Jun H, Jung Y, Choi B. Treponema denticola, Porphyromonas gingivalis, and Tannerella forsythia induce cell death and release of endogenous danger signals. Arch Oral Biol. 2017;73:72-78 pubmed publisher..Inflammatory cell death and endogenous danger molecules released from cells infected with periodontopathogens may play critical roles in the pathogenesis and progression of periodontitis by augmenting immune and inflammatory responses. ..
- Sellin M, Müller A, Hardt W. Consequences of Epithelial Inflammasome Activation by Bacterial Pathogens. J Mol Biol. 2018;430:193-206 pubmed publisher..We discuss the implications of recent findings for antibacterial defense in the mucosa and sketch out areas for future exploration. ..
- Jakka P, Namani S, Murugan S, Rai N, Radhakrishnan G. The Brucella effector protein TcpB induces degradation of inflammatory caspases and thereby subverts non-canonical inflammasome activation in macrophages. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:20613-20627 pubmed publisher..Because TcpB suppresses both TLR4- and caspase-4/11-mediated inflammation, TcpB might be a candidate target for developing drugs against LPS-induced septicemia. ..
- Armstrong P, Zheng Y, Westerhout C, Rosell Ortiz F, Sinnaeve P, Lambert Y, et al. Reduced dose tenecteplase and outcomes in elderly ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction patients: Insights from the STrategic Reperfusion Early After Myocardial infarction trial. Am Heart J. 2015;169:890-898.e1 pubmed publisher..These observations are hypothesis generating and warrant further confirmation in randomized clinical trials in the elderly. ..
- Roberts J, Yilmaz Ó. Dangerous Liaisons: Caspase-11 and Reactive Oxygen Species Crosstalk in Pathogen Elimination. Int J Mol Sci. 2015;16:23337-54 pubmed publisher..Thus, this review will join the currently disconnected cutting-edge research thereby proposing a working model for regulation of caspase-4, -5 in pathogen elimination via cellular-trafficking. ..
- Bian Z, Field M, Elner S, Elner V. Expression and regulation of alarmin cytokine IL-1α in human retinal pigment epithelial cells. Exp Eye Res. 2018;172:10-20 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the non-canonical inflammasome pathway was shown to be involved in LPS-induced hRPE IL-1α expression through caspase-4 signaling. ..
- Kisseih E, Lechtenberg M, Petereit F, Sendker J, Zacharski D, Brandt S, et al. Phytochemical characterization and in vitro wound healing activity of leaf extracts from Combretum mucronatum Schum. & Thonn.: Oligomeric procyanidins as strong inductors of cellular differentiation. J Ethnopharmacol. 2015;174:628-36 pubmed publisher..On the basis of this study extracts from the leaves of C. mucronatum therefore have potential for the use in wound healing. ..
- Moorwood C, Barton E. Caspase-12 ablation preserves muscle function in the mdx mouse. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:5325-41 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we have identified heightened ER stress and abnormal UPR signalling as novel contributors to the dystrophic phenotype. Caspase-4 is therefore a potential therapeutic target for DMD. ..
- Nasir J, Theilmann J, Vaillancourt J, Munday N, Ali A, Scherer S, et al. Interleukin-1beta-converting enzyme (ICE) and related cell death genes ICErel-II and ICErel-III map to the same PAC clone at band 11q22.2-22.3. Mamm Genome. 1997;8:611-3 pubmed
- Earnshaw W, Martins L, Kaufmann S. Mammalian caspases: structure, activation, substrates, and functions during apoptosis. Annu Rev Biochem. 1999;68:383-424 pubmed..Collectively, these scissions disrupt survival pathways and disassemble important architectural components of the cell, contributing to the stereotypic morphological and biochemical changes that characterize apoptotic cell death. ..
- Kumar S, Hanning C, Brigham Burke M, Rieman D, Lehr R, Khandekar S, et al. Interleukin-1F7B (IL-1H4/IL-1F7) is processed by caspase-1 and mature IL-1F7B binds to the IL-18 receptor but does not induce IFN-gamma production. Cytokine. 2002;18:61-71 pubmed..Finally, we have localized the expression of IL-1F7b protein in discrete cell populations including plasma cells and tumor cells. These data suggest that IL-1F7b may be involved in immune response, inflammatory diseases and/or cancer. ..
- Yukioka F, Matsuzaki S, Kawamoto K, Koyama Y, Hitomi J, Katayama T, et al. Presenilin-1 mutation activates the signaling pathway of caspase-4 in endoplasmic reticulum stress-induced apoptosis. Neurochem Int. 2008;52:683-7 pubmed..To sum up our data, the familial AD-linked PS1 mutation accelerates the cleavage of caspase-4 under the ER stress and results in the activation of caspase-9 and caspase-3, apoptosis signal, without releasing cytochrome-c. ..
- Koyama Y, Hiratsuka T, Matsuzaki S, Yamagishi S, Kato S, Katayama T, et al. Familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (FALS)-linked SOD1 mutation accelerates neuronal cell death by activating cleavage of caspase-4 under ER stress in an in vitro model of FALS. Neurochem Int. 2010;57:838-43 pubmed publisher..These findings show that ER stress in L84V SOD1-expressing human cells causes the aggregation and inclusion bodies of L84V SOD1 to induce neuronal death through the accelerated cleavage of caspase-4. ..
- Scapoli L, Girardi A, Rubini C, Martinelli M, Spinelli G, Palmieri A, et al. LOH at PDCD4, CTNNB1, and CASP4 loci contributes to stage progression of oral cancer. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2011;24:89-93 pubmed..stage grouping and LOH was found for 3 gene loci: programmed cell death 4 (PDCD4), catenin beta 1 (CTNNB1), and caspase 4 (CASP4)...
- Yang H, Wang M, Wang L, Cheng B, Lin X, Feng Z. NF-ÎºB regulates caspase-4 expression and sensitizes neuroblastoma cells to Fas-induced apoptosis. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0117953 pubmed publisher..Overall, we demonstrate that NF-ÎºB can mediate Fas-induced apoptosis through caspase-4 protease, indicating that caspase-4 is a new mediator of NF-ÎºB pro-apoptotic pathway in neuroblastoma cells. ..
- Casson C, Yu J, Reyes V, Taschuk F, Yadav A, Copenhaver A, et al. Human caspase-4 mediates noncanonical inflammasome activation against gram-negative bacterial pathogens. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:6688-93 pubmed publisher..Our findings implicate human caspase-4 as a critical regulator of noncanonical inflammasome activation that initiates defense against bacterial pathogens in primary human macrophages. ..
- Wang Y, Gao W, Shi X, Ding J, Liu W, He H, et al. Chemotherapy drugs induce pyroptosis through caspase-3 cleavage of a gasdermin. Nature. 2017;547:99-103 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that caspase-3 activation can trigger necrosis by cleaving GSDME and offer new insights into cancer chemotherapy. ..
- Svensson E, SÃ¶derholm M, Abul Kasim K, EngstrÃ¶m G. Tumor Necrosis Factor Receptor 1 and 2 Are Associated With Risk of Intracerebral Hemorrhage. Stroke. 2017;48:2710-2715 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that tumor necrosis factor-mediated inflammation could be associated with vascular changes preceding ICH. ..
- Jun H, Jung Y, Ji S, An S, Choi B. Caspase-4 activation by a bacterial surface protein is mediated by cathepsin G in human gingival fibroblasts. Cell Death Differ. 2018;25:380-391 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that cathepsin G is directly engaged in caspase-4 activation by a bacterial ligand, which is responsible for cell death and IL-1α secretion in HGFs. ..
- Howard A, Kostura M, Thornberry N, Ding G, Limjuco G, Weidner J, et al. IL-1-converting enzyme requires aspartic acid residues for processing of the IL-1 beta precursor at two distinct sites and does not cleave 31-kDa IL-1 alpha. J Immunol. 1991;147:2964-9 pubmed..These results show that ICE is a highly specific IL-1 beta convertase with absolute requirements for Asp in P1 and a small hydrophobic amino acid in P1'. ..
- Annand R, Dahlen J, Sprecher C, De Dreu P, Foster D, Mankovich J, et al. Caspase-1 (interleukin-1beta-converting enzyme) is inhibited by the human serpin analogue proteinase inhibitor 9. Biochem J. 1999;342 Pt 3:655-65 pubmed..PI9 is the first example of a human serpin analogue that inhibits members of this class of cysteine proteinases. ..
- Wu L, Ye Y, Huang G, Li H, Li G, Pu Z, et al. Involvement of endoplasmic reticulum stress in adenosine-induced human hepatoma HepG2 cell apoptosis. Oncol Rep. 2011;26:73-9 pubmed publisher..However, JNK protein expression was not altered. These results show that ERS is involved in the adenosine-induced HepG2 cell apoptosis. ..
- Kajiwara Y, Schiff T, Voloudakis G, Gama Sosa M, Elder G, Bozdagi O, et al. A critical role for human caspase-4 in endotoxin sensitivity. J Immunol. 2014;193:335-43 pubmed publisher..Regulation of the expression, activation, or activity of caspase-4 therefore represents targets for systemic inflammatory response syndrome, sepsis, septic shock, and related disorders. ..
- Knodler L, Crowley S, Sham H, Yang H, Wrande M, Ma C, et al. Noncanonical inflammasome activation of caspase-4/caspase-11 mediates epithelial defenses against enteric bacterial pathogens. Cell Host Microbe. 2014;16:249-256 pubmed publisher..Therefore, an epithelial cell-intrinsic noncanonical inflammasome plays a critical role inÂ antimicrobial defense at the intestinal mucosal surface. ..
- KoraMagazi A, Wang D, Yousef B, Guerram M, Yu F. Rhein triggers apoptosis via induction of endoplasmic reticulum stress, caspase-4 and intracellular calcium in primary human hepatic HL-7702 cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016;473:230-236 pubmed publisher..These data suggested that rhein-induced apoptosis through ER-stress and elevated intracellular calcium level in HL-7702 cells. ..
- Eldridge M, Sanchez Garrido J, Hoben G, Goddard P, Shenoy A. The Atypical Ubiquitin E2 Conjugase UBE2L3 Is an Indirect Caspase-1 Target and Controls IL-1Î² Secretion by Inflammasomes. Cell Rep. 2017;18:1285-1297 pubmed publisher..These findings regarding UBE2L3 as a molecular rheostat have implications for IL-1-driven pathology in hereditary fever syndromes and in autoinflammatory conditions associated with UBE2L3 polymorphisms. ..
- Videira R, Andrade P, Monteiro L, Valentão P, Ferreira P, Pereira D. Toxicity and structure-activity relationship (SAR) of ?,?-dehydroamino acids against human cancer cell lines. Toxicol In Vitro. 2018;47:26-37 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that ?,?-dehydroalanine derivatives can be considered a future resource of compounds able to work as anticancer drugs. ..
- Munday N, Vaillancourt J, Ali A, Casano F, Miller D, Molineaux S, et al. Molecular cloning and pro-apoptotic activity of ICErelII and ICErelIII, members of the ICE/CED-3 family of cysteine proteases. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:15870-6 pubmed..ICErel-II and ICErel-III may, therefore, participate in proteolytic events culminating in the apoptotic death of human cells. ..
- Silke J, Hawkins C, Ekert P, Chew J, Day C, Pakusch M, et al. The anti-apoptotic activity of XIAP is retained upon mutation of both the caspase 3- and caspase 9-interacting sites. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:115-24 pubmed
- Gaggero A, De Ambrosis A, Mezzanzanica D, Piazza T, Rubartelli A, Figini M, et al. A novel isoform of pro-interleukin-18 expressed in ovarian tumors is resistant to caspase-1 and -4 processing. Oncogene. 2004;23:7552-60 pubmed..Aternative splicing of pro-IL-18 exon-3 may represent a novel mechanism of regulation of bioactive IL-18 production in human ovarian tumors. ..
- Kim M, Park S, Kim Y, Lee J, Lim H, Song S, et al. Mutational analysis of caspase genes in prostate carcinomas. APMIS. 2010;118:308-12 pubmed publisher..The data suggest that apoptosis evasion in prostate carcinoma may be dependent on other mechanisms besides genetic alteration of caspase-encoding genes. ..