Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: BRSK1
Description: BR serine/threonine kinase 1
Alias: hSAD1, BR serine/threonine-protein kinase 1, SAD1 homolog, SAD1 kinase, SadB kinase short isoform, brain-selective kinase 1, brain-specific serine/threonine-protein kinase 1, protein kinase SAD1A, serine/threonine-protein kinase BRSK1, serine/threonine-protein kinase SAD-B, synapses of Amphids Defective homolog 1
- LKB1 is a master kinase that activates 13 kinases of the AMPK subfamily, including MARK/PAR-1Jose M Lizcano
MRC Protein Phosphorylation Unit, School of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
EMBO J 23:833-43. 2004..A total of 12 human kinases (NUAK1, NUAK2, BRSK1, BRSK2, QIK, QSK, SIK, MARK1, MARK2, MARK3, MARK4 and MELK) are related to AMPK...
- Investigating the regulation of brain-specific kinases 1 and 2 by phosphorylationNicola J Bright
Medical Research Council Cellular Stress Group, MRC Clinical Sciences Centre, Du Cane Road, London, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 283:14946-54. 2008Brain-specific kinases 1 and 2 (BRSK1/2) are AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK)-related kinases that are highly expressed in mammalian forebrain...
- Calmodulin-dependent protein kinase kinase-beta activates AMPK without forming a stable complex: synergistic effects of Ca2+ and AMPSarah Fogarty
Division of Molecular Physiology, College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, Scotland, U K
Biochem J 426:109-18. 2010..in intact cells or cell-free assays by CaMKKbeta, although we did observe a slow phosphorylation and activation of BRSK1 (brain-specific kinase 1) by CaMKKalpha...
- SADB phosphorylation of gamma-tubulin regulates centrosome duplicationMaria Alvarado-Kristensson
Department of Immunology and Oncology, Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia CSIC, Madrid, Spain
Nat Cell Biol 11:1081-92. 2009..We propose that SADB kinase activity controls centrosome homeostasis by regulating phosphorylation of gamma-tubulin...
- Genome-wide association studies identify loci associated with age at menarche and age at natural menopauseChunyan He
Program in Molecular and Genetic Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Genet 41:724-8. 2009..3 (in the gene MCM8), 19q13.42 (in or near the gene BRSK1), 5q35.2 (in or near genes UIMC1 and HK3) and 6p24.2 (in the gene SYCP2L)...
- Loci at chromosomes 13, 19 and 20 influence age at natural menopauseLisette Stolk
Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Nat Genet 41:645-7. 2009..5 year per A allele (12%); P = 2.5 × 10(-8)). These common genetic variants regulate timing of ovarian aging, an important risk factor for breast cancer, osteoporosis and cardiovascular disease...
- The regulation and function of mammalian AMPK-related kinasesN J Bright
Cellular Stress Group, MRC Clinical Sciences Centre, London, UK
Acta Physiol (Oxf) 196:15-26. 2009..Recently, 12 AMPK-related kinases (BRSK1, BRSK2, NUAK1, NUAK2, QIK, QSK, SIK, MARK1, MARK2, MARK3, MARK4 and MELK) were identified that are closely related ..
- C-terminal phosphorylation of LKB1 is not required for regulation of AMP-activated protein kinase, BRSK1, BRSK2, or cell cycle arrestSarah Fogarty
Division of Molecular Physiology, College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 284:77-84. 2009..protein kinase (AMPK) and members of the AMPK-related kinase family, such as the brain-specific kinases BRSK1/BRSK2 (SAD-B/SAD-A)...
- Control of AMPK-related kinases by USP9X and atypical Lys(29)/Lys(33)-linked polyubiquitin chainsAbdallah K Al-Hakim
MRC Protein Phosphorylation Unit, MSI WTB complex, University of Dundee, Dow Street, Dundee DD1 5EH, Scotland, UK
Biochem J 411:249-60. 2008..The results of the present study demonstrate that NUAK1 and MARK4 are substrates of USP9X and provide the first evidence that AMPK family kinases are regulated by unusual Lys(29)/Lys(33)-linked polyubiquitin chains...
- SAD: a presynaptic kinase associated with synaptic vesicles and the active zone cytomatrix that regulates neurotransmitter releaseEiji Inoue
KAN Research Institute, Kyoto 600 8815, Japan
Neuron 50:261-75. 2006..Furthermore, SAD-B phosphorylates the active zone protein RIM1 but not Munc13-1. These results suggest that mammalian SAD kinase presynaptically regulates neurotransmitter release...
- 14-3-3 cooperates with LKB1 to regulate the activity and localization of QSK and SIKAbdallah K Al-Hakim
MRC Protein Phosphorylation Unit, MSI WTB complex, University of Dundee, Dow Street, Dundee, DD1 5EH, UK
J Cell Sci 118:5661-73. 2005..To our knowledge, this study provides the first example of 14-3-3 binding directly to the T-loop of a protein kinase and influencing its catalytic activity and cellular localization...
- Mapping of a translocation breakpoint in a Peutz-Jeghers hamartoma to the putative PJS locus at 19q13.4 and mutation analysis of candidate genes in polyp and STK11-negative PJS casesNicholas Hearle
Section of Cancer Genetics, Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, United Kingdom
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 41:163-9. 2004..No pathogenic mutations in the candidate genes were identified. This report provides further evidence of the existence of a second PJS disease locus at 19q13.4 and excludes involvement of eight candidate genes...
- Human SAD1 kinase is involved in UV-induced DNA damage checkpoint functionRui Lu
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Nagoya City University, 1 Kawasumi, Mizuho cho, Mizuho ku, Nagoya 467 8601, Japan
J Biol Chem 279:31164-70. 2004..The identification of this new kinase suggests the existence of an alternative checkpoint pathway other than those of ATR-Chk1 and p38MAPK...
- Brain specific kinase-1 BRSK1/SAD-B associates with lipid rafts: modulation of kinase activity by lipid environmentArantza Rodríguez-Asiain
Departament de Bioquimica i Biologia Molecular, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Biochim Biophys Acta 1811:1124-35. 2011Brain specific kinases 1 and 2 (BRSK1/2, also named SAD kinases) are serine-threonine kinases specifically expressed in the brain, and activated by LKB1-mediated phosphorylation of a threonine residue at their T-loop (Thr189/174 in human ..