Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Brn 3b
Description: POU class 4 homeobox 2
Alias: BRN3.2, BRN3B, Brn-3b, Brn3b POU domain transcription factor, POU domain class 4 transcription factor 2, POU domain protein, POU domain, class 4, transcription factor 2, brain-3B, brain-specific homeobox/POU domain protein 3B
Publications120 found, 100 shown here
- Brn3a-expressing retinal ganglion cells project specifically to thalamocortical and collicular visual pathwaysLely A Quina
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, La Jolla, California 92093 0603, USA
J Neurosci 25:11595-604. 2005..Brn3a is coexpressed extensively with the closely related factor Brn3b in the embryonic retina, and the effects of the loss of Brn3a in retinal development are not severe, suggesting ..
- Retinal ganglion cell death and optic nerve degeneration by genetic ablation in adult miceJang Hyeon Cho
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Exp Eye Res 88:542-52. 2009..To achieve this, we took advantage of Pou4f2 (Brn3b), a gene activated immediately as RGCs begin to differentiate and expressed throughout life...
- Delayed expression of the Crx gene and photoreceptor development in the Chx10-deficient retinaAdam D Rutherford
Developmental Biology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, United Kingdom
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:375-84. 2004..The purpose of this study was to examine how neuronal development is affected by absence of the Chx10 transcription factor in the mouse retina...
- Identification of chaperonin CCT gamma subunit as a determinant of retinotectal development by whole-genome subtraction cloning from zebrafish no tectal neuron mutantNaoto Matsuda
Department of Molecular Neurobiology and Pharmacology, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, and SORST, Japan Science and Technology Agency, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Development 131:1913-25. 2004..The expression patterns of transcription factor genes ath5 and brn3b that are essential for the development and maintenance of RGCs were indistinguishable between wild-type and ntn ..
- Laser-induced ocular hypertension in albino CD-1 miceChristine T Fu
Neuroscience Graduate Program, Department of Ophthalmology, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:980-90. 2010..To establish a laser-induced model of ocular hypertension (LIOH) in albino CD-1 mice and to characterize the sequence of pathologic events triggered by intraocular pressure (IOP) elevation...
- Microarray analysis reveals differential gene expression patterns in tumors of the pineal regionMichelle Fevre-Montange
University Claude Bernard Lyon 1, Hopital Neurologique, BP Lyon Montchat, Lyon, France
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 65:675-84. 2006..Our results highlight the usefulness of gene expression profiling for classify tumors of the pineal region and identify genes with potential use as diagnostic markers...
- The POU-domain factor Brn-3.0 recognizes characteristic sites in the herpes simplex virus genomeE E Turner
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0603, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 25:2589-94. 1997..The experiments described also provide an effective general method for exhaustive screening of large viral genomes or sub-genomic fragments of eukaryotic DNA for sites of interaction with specific transcription factors...
- Quantitative ex vivo detection of rodent retinal ganglion cells by immunolabeling Brn-3bKathleen M Leahy
Pfizer Corporation, St Louis, MO, USA
Exp Eye Res 79:131-40. 2004..Thus, ex vivo immunolabeling of retinal ganglion cells using antibody to Brn-3b provides an alternative to other methods of quantifying retinal ganglion cells...
- Selective inhibition of prolactin gene transcription by the ETS-2 repressor factorR N Day
Departments of Internal Medicine and Cell Biology, National Science Foundation Center for Biological Timing, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
J Biol Chem 273:31909-15. 1998Regulation of prolactin gene transcription requires cooperative interactions between the pituitary-specific POU domain protein Pit-1 and members of the ETS transcription factor family...
- The class III POU domain protein Brn-1 can fully replace the related Oct-6 during schwann cell development and myelinationRalf P Friedrich
Institut fur Biochemie, Universitat Erlangen, Fahrstrasse 17, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Mol Cell Biol 25:1821-9. 2005..Although the closely related POU domain protein Brn-2 is coexpressed with Oct-6 in Schwann cells, its loss has only mild consequences...
- Cyan fluorescent protein expression in ganglion and amacrine cells in a thy1-CFP transgenic mouse retinaIona D Raymond
Department of Neurobiology, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1763, USA
Mol Vis 14:1559-74. 2008..To characterize cyan fluorescent protein (CFP) expression in the retina of the thy1-CFP (B6.Cg-Tg(Thy1-CFP)23Jrs/J) transgenic mouse line...
- Identification of the nuclear localization signal of the POU domain protein Tst-1/Oct6E Sock
Zentrum für Molekulare Neurobiologie, Universitat Hamburg, Martinistrasse 52, D 20246 Hamburg, Federal Republic of Germany
J Biol Chem 271:17512-8. 1996....
- Subtype specification of GABAergic amacrine cells by the orphan nuclear receptor Nr4a2/Nurr1Haisong Jiang
Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, and Graduate Program in Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
J Neurosci 29:10449-59. 2009..Moreover, the expression of Nr4a2 is positively regulated by Foxn4 and negatively controlled by Brn3b, two retinogenic factors previously shown to promote and suppress GABAergic ACs, respectively...
- Nonpituitary human prolactin gene transcription is independent of Pit-1 and differentially controlled in lymphocytes and in endometrial stromaB Gellersen
Institute for Hormone and Fertility Research, University of Hamburg, Germany
Mol Endocrinol 8:356-73. 1994..We focused our studies on the role of Pit-1 and of PR as potential transcriptional regulators, since the POU domain protein Pit-1 is essential in the control of pituitary PRL expression, and progesterone induces decidual ..
- Essential role of POU-domain factor Brn-3c in auditory and vestibular hair cell developmentM Xiang
Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:9445-50. 1997....
- Differential splicing of the GHF1 primary transcript gives rise to two functionally distinct homeodomain proteinsL E Theill
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0636
EMBO J 11:2261-9. 1992The POU domain protein GHF-1 has a critical role in generation, proliferation and phenotypic expression of three pituitary cell types...
- Interaction of HCF-1 with a cellular nuclear export factorShahana S Mahajan
Department of Microbiology and the Kaplan Comprehensive Cancer Center, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
J Biol Chem 277:44292-9. 2002..and, after release into the cell, binds to HCF-1 and translocates to the nucleus to form a complex with the POU domain protein Oct-1 and a VP16-responsive DNA sequence...
- Luman, a new member of the CREB/ATF family, binds to herpes simplex virus VP16-associated host cellular factorR Lu
Department of Veterinary Microbiology, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
Mol Cell Biol 17:5117-26. 1997..function is to stabilize the herpes simplex virus virion transactivator VP16 in a complex with the cellular POU domain protein Oct-1 and cis-acting regulatory elements in promoters of immediate-early viral genes...
- Brn3a is a transcriptional regulator of soma size, target field innervation and axon pathfinding of inner ear sensory neuronsE J Huang
Program in Neuroscience, Department of Physiology, and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Development 128:2421-32. 2001The POU domain transcription factors Brn3a, Brn3b and Brn3c are required for the proper development of sensory ganglia, retinal ganglion cells, and inner ear hair cells, respectively...
- A novel complex regulates cardiac actin gene expression through interaction of Emb, a class VI POU domain protein, MEF2D, and the histone transacetylase p300S Molinari
CNRS URA 2578, Department of Developmental Biology, Pasteur Institute, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Mol Cell Biol 24:2944-57. 2004..Oct1 and Emb, a class VI POU domain protein, bind to consensus sites on the DNA, and it is the binding of Emb which is important for activity...
- Localized expression of a Xenopus POU gene depends on cell-autonomous transcriptional activation and induction-dependent inactivationD Frank
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of California, Berkeley 94720
Development 115:439-48. 1992We have cloned a cDNA encoding a Xenopus POU domain protein, XLPOU91, which is expressed at high levels in gastrula embryos. XLPOU91 transcription initiates at the midblastula transition, and declines to low levels by late neurula stages...
- Conserved role of the Vsx genes supports a monophyletic origin for bilaterian visual systemsTed Erclik
Program in Developmental and Stem Cell Biology, Research Institute, The Hospital for Sick Children, TMDT Building, 101 College Street, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1L7, Canada
Curr Biol 18:1278-87. 2008....
- I-POU: a POU-domain protein that inhibits neuron-specific gene activationM N Treacy
Eukaryotic Regulatory Biology Program, University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, La Jolla 92093 0648
Nature 350:577-84. 1991..The inhibition by I-POU provides a potential strategy by which the activation of genes in development is controlled by a homeodomain-containing protein that does not bind DNA...
- The solution structure of the Oct-1 POU-specific domain reveals a striking similarity to the bacteriophage lambda repressor DNA-binding domainN Assa-Munt
Department of Molecular Biology, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037
Cell 73:193-205. 1993..A human dwarfism mutation that affects positive control in the related POU domain protein Pit-1 maps to the same region of the HTH motif as do positive control mutations in lambda repressor.
- Binding of a Drosophila POU-domain protein to a sequence element regulating gene expression in specific dopaminergic neuronsW A Johnson
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115
Nature 343:467-70. 1990..The Cfla gene product binds to a DNA element required for expression of the dopa decarboxylase gene (Ddc) in selected dopaminergic neurons, implying that it functions as a neuron-specific transcription factor...
- Brn-3b enhances the pro-apoptotic effects of p53 but not its induction of cell cycle arrest by cooperating in trans-activation of bax expressionVishwanie S Budhram-Mahadeo
Medical Molecular Biology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, 30 Guilford Street, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Nucleic Acids Res 34:6640-52. 2006..Thus, the ability of Brn-3b to interact with p53 and modulate Bax expression may demonstrate an important mechanism that helps to determine the fate of cells when p53 is induced...
- Identification of an N-terminal transcriptional activation domain within Brn3b/POU4f2Suzanna E Martin
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Unit 117, The University of Texas, M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Differentiation 73:18-27. 2005The POU-domain transcription factor Brn3b/ POU4f2 is an essential regulator of gene expression in mouse retinal ganglion cells...
- Brn3b/Brn3c double knockout mice reveal an unsuspected role for Brn3c in retinal ganglion cell axon outgrowthSteven W Wang
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Development 129:467-77. 2002..During retinal ganglion cell differentiation, Brn3b is expressed first, followed by Brn3a and Brn3c...
- NT-3 regulates expression of Brn3a but not Brn3b in developing mouse trigeminal sensory neuronsS Wyatt
Department of Molecular Pathology, University College London Medical School, The Windeyer Building, 46 Cleveland Street, London, WIP 6DB, UK
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 55:254-64. 1998We have used a quantitative RT-PCR approach to determine the levels of Brn3a and Brn3b POU domain transcription factor mRNAs in the developing mouse trigeminal ganglion from E10 to E18...
- Cell-specific regulation of the pro-survival Brn-3b transcription factor by microRNAsMattia Calissano
Medical Molecular Biology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, 30 Guilford Street, WC1N 1EH London, UK
Mol Cell Neurosci 45:317-23. 2010..We speculate that this mechanism could have a widespread role in the regulation of mRNAs encoding for essential proteins...
- Targeting Brn-3b in breast cancer therapyVishwanie S Budhram-Mahadeo
Medical Molecular Biology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Expert Opin Ther Targets 10:15-25. 2006..This review discusses the effect of altering Brn-3b in these cancer cells and possible approaches to targeting Brn-3b as a strategy for therapy in treatment of breast cancers...
- Gene regulation logic in retinal ganglion cell development: Isl1 defines a critical branch distinct from but overlapping with Pou4f2Xiuqian Mu
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, M D Anderson Cancer Center and Graduate Training Program in Genes and Development, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Texas, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:6942-7. 2008..They also reveal that identical RGC expression patterns are achieved by different combinations of divergent inputs from upstream transcription factors...
- Cooperative dimerization of the POU domain protein Brn-2 on a new motif activates the neuronal promoter of the human aromatic L-amino acid decarboxylase geneClaire Dugast-Darzacq
Laboratoire de Biologie Moleculaire Eucaryote, CNRS UMR 5099 IFR 109, 118 route de Narbonne, 31062, Cedex, Toulouse, France
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 120:151-63. 2004..decarboxylase (AADC) gene contains a perfectly palindromic element (TB) that conforms to the structure of a POU domain protein binding site of the MORE+2 type...
- ISL1 and BRN3B co-regulate the differentiation of murine retinal ganglion cellsLing Pan
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Development 135:1981-90. 2008..Here, we show that ISL1, a LIM-HD protein, is co-expressed with BRN3B, a POU-HD factor, in nascent post-mitotic retinal ganglion cells (RGCs)...
- Eomesodermin, a target gene of Pou4f2, is required for retinal ganglion cell and optic nerve development in the mouseChai An Mao
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Development 135:271-80. 2008..We conclude that Eomes is a crucial regulator positioned immediately downstream of Pou4f2 and is required for RGC differentiation and optic nerve development...
- A novel POU domain protein which binds to the T-cell receptor beta enhancerH Messier
Division of Molecular Biology, La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, California 92037
Mol Cell Biol 13:5450-60. 1993..It was therefore of special interest when we identified a novel lymphoid POU domain protein in Southwestern (DNA-protein) screens of T-cell lambda gt11 libraries...
- The Brn-3a transcription factor induces neuronal process outgrowth and the coordinate expression of genes encoding synaptic proteinsM D Smith
Department of Molecular Pathology, University College London Medical School, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Biol 17:345-54. 1997..Thus, Brn-3a appears to play a critical role in the specification of the mature neuronal phenotype, acting by stimulating the expression of genes whose products are required for process outgrowth and synapse formation...
- Maternal control of vertebrate dorsoventral axis formation and epiboly by the POU domain protein Spg/Pou2/Oct4Gerlinde Reim
Biotechnology Center and Center for Regenerative Therapies, University of Technology TU Dresden, Pfotenhauerstrasse 108, D 01307 Dresden, Germany
Development 133:2757-70. 2006..Based on the maternal requirement for pou2 in ventral specification, we propose that ventral specification employs an active, pou2-dependent maternal induction step, rather than a default ventralizing program...
- Coupling the transcriptional regulatory action of Brn-3b to the cell cycle clockTao Zhu
Breast Cancer Program, The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Cancer Biol Ther 3:324-5. 2004
- Genetic labelling of specific axonal pathways in the mouse central nervous systemMohamad Zubair
Division of Molecular Neurobiology, National Institute for Basic Biology, Myodaiji cho, Okazaki 444 8585, Japan
Eur J Neurosci 15:807-14. 2002..The reporter gene was introduced into the genome under the control of a promoter element of Brn3b transcription factor to establish transgenic mouse lines...
- Expression of AmphiPOU-IV in the developing neural tube and epidermal sensory neural precursors in amphioxus supports a conserved role of class IV POU genes in the sensory cells developmentSimona Candiani
Department of Biology, University of Genoa, Viale Benedetto XV, 5, Genoa, 16132, Italy
Dev Genes Evol 216:623-33. 2006....
- Elevated expression of the Brn-3a and Brn-3b transcription factors in systemic lupus erythematosus correlates with antibodies to Brn-3 and overexpression of Hsp90B J M Ripley
University College London, London, UK
Arthritis Rheum 52:1171-9. 2005....
- [Studies on the effects of lead on the growth and differentiation of hippocampal neural cells as well as the expression of Oct-2]Jun Chen
Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, China
Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi 38:151-4. 2004In order to explore the effects of lead on the growth and development of cultured hippocampal neural cells and on the expression of Oct-2, the II subtype POU domain protein.
- Characterization of multiple bistratified retinal ganglion cells in a purkinje cell protein 2-Cre transgenic mouse lineElena Ivanova
Department of Ophthalmology and Anatomy and Cell Biology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
J Comp Neurol 521:2165-80. 2013..The remaining two types were identified as putative On-Off and On-DSGCs. This Cre mouse line could be useful for further studies of the molecular and functional properties of BGCs in mice...
- Establishment of retinal progenitor cell clones by transfection with Pax6 gene of mouse induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cellsNoboru Suzuki
Department of Immunology, St Marianna University School of Medicine, Kawasaki, Japan
Neurosci Lett 509:116-20. 2012..We obtained totally 8 clonally expanding Pax6-transfected cells. They started to express mRNAs of Brn3b, Cone-rod homeobox (Crx), pkc, CD73, rhodopsin and the γ-subunit of rod cGMP phosphodiesterase (PDEγ)...
- Dynamic expression of ganglion cell markers in retinal progenitors during the terminal cell cycleLev Prasov
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, United States
Mol Cell Neurosci 50:160-8. 2012..The first-born type of retinal neurons, ganglion cells (RGCs), develop through the actions of Math5 (Atoh7), Brn3b (Pou4f2) and Islet1 (Isl1) factors, whereas inhibitory amacrine and horizontal precursors require Ptf1a for ..
- The Wilms' tumor suppressor Wt1 encodes a transcriptional activator of the class IV POU-domain factor Pou4f2 (Brn-3b)Kay Dietrich Wagner
Johannes Müller Institut für Physiologie, Humboldt Universitat, Charite, Tucholskystrasse 2, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Gene 305:217-23. 2003..Co-localization of both proteins in glomerular podocytes of the kidney and in developing retinal ganglion cells suggests a role for Wt1-Pou4f2 interaction in these tissues...
- Whole number, distribution and co-expression of brn3 transcription factors in retinal ganglion cells of adult albino and pigmented ratsFrancisco M Nadal-Nicolás
Unidad de Investigacion, Hospital Universitario Virgen de la Arrixaca Fundación para la Formación e Investigación Sanitarias de la Región de Murcia, IMIB, El Palmar, Murcia, Spain
PLoS ONE 7:e49830. 2012The three members of the Pou4f family of transcription factors: Pou4f1, Pou4f2, Pou4f3 (Brn3a, Brn3b and Brn3c, respectively) play, during development, essential roles in the differentiation and survival of sensory neurons...
- Human Müller glia with stem cell characteristics differentiate into retinal ganglion cell (RGC) precursors in vitro and partially restore RGC function in vivo following transplantationShweta Singhal
Divisions of Ocular Biology and Therapeutics University College London, Institute of Ophthalmology and Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Stem Cells Transl Med 1:188-99. 2012..to neurotransmitters, and green fluorescent protein (GFP) expression by cells transduced with a transcriptional BRN3b-GFP reporter vector...
- Brn3a/Pou4f1 regulates dorsal root ganglion sensory neuron specification and axonal projection into the spinal cordMin Zou
Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine and Department of Pediatrics, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Dev Biol 364:114-27. 2012..Given the expression of the POU homeodomain transcription factors Brn3a/Pou4f1 and Brn3b/Pou4f2 in DRG and spinal cord sensory neurons, we determined the subtype specification of DRG and spinal cord ..
- Differential expression of Brn3 transcription factors in intrinsically photosensitive retinal ganglion cells in mouseVarsha Jain
National Brain Research Centre, Manesar Haryana 122050, India
J Comp Neurol 520:742-55. 2012..The Brn3 family of class IV POU-domain transcription factors (Brn3a, Brn3b, and Brn3c) is involved in the regulation of differentiation, dendritic stratification, and axonal projection of ..
- An in vitro mouse model for retinal ganglion cell replacement therapy using eye-like structures differentiated from ES cellsHitomi Aoki
Department of Tissue and Organ Development, Regeneration and Advanced Medical Science, Gifu University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 1 Yanagido, Gifu 501 1194, Japan
Exp Eye Res 84:868-75. 2007..retina, most of the cells migrating into the ganglion cell layer express the ganglion cell-specific markers Hu and Brn3b. Murine ES cell-derived eye-like structures contain cell populations that can differentiate into ganglion-like ..
- Analysis of optic nerve stroke by retinal Bex expressionSteven L Bernstein
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, University of Maryland Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Mol Vis 12:147-55. 2006..Many of these areas exhibit immunoreactivity for the brain-expressed X-linked (Bex) proteins Bex1 and Bex2. This prompted us to evaluate expression of these proteins in retina...
- The Brn-3b POU family transcription factor regulates the cellular growth, proliferation, and anchorage dependence of MCF7 human breast cancer cellsJ H Dennis
Institute of Child Health, 30 Guilford Street, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Oncogene 20:4961-71. 2001..These results thus further indicate a role for the Brn-3b transcription factor in regulating mammary cell growth and suggest that its elevation in breast cancer is of functional significance...
- Near complete loss of retinal ganglion cells in the math5/brn3b double knockout elicits severe reductions of other cell types during retinal developmentAla Moshiri
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The University of Texas Houston, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Dev Biol 316:214-27. 2008..In this study, we observed that Math5 and Brn3b double null mice exhibited over a 99% reduction in the number of RGCs during development...
- Photoentrainment and pupillary light reflex are mediated by distinct populations of ipRGCsS K Chen
Department of Biology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21218, USA
Nature 476:92-5. 2011..Here we show that ipRGCs consist of distinct subpopulations that differentially express the Brn3b transcription factor, and can be functionally distinguished...
- A novel approach to selectively target neuronal subpopulations reveals genetic pathways that regulate tangential migration in the vertebrate hindbrainKarsten Benzing
Max Planck Institute for Brain Research, Department of Neuroanatomy, Frankfurt, Germany
PLoS Genet 7:e1002099. 2011..Our model will also serve as a general tool to specifically over-express any gene in a defined subpopulation of neurons and should easily be adapted to a wide range of applications...
- Proliferation-associated POU4F2/Brn-3b transcription factor expression is regulated by oestrogen through ERα and growth factors via MAPK pathwaySamir Ounzain
Medical Molecular Biology Unit, UCL Institute of Child Health, 30 Guilford Street, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Breast Cancer Res 13:R5. 2011..Brn-3b regulates distinct groups of key target genes that control cell growth and behaviour. Brn-3b is elevated in >65% of breast cancer biopsies, but mechanisms controlling its expression in these cells are not known...
- Distinct roles of transcription factors brn3a and brn3b in controlling the development, morphology, and function of retinal ganglion cellsTudor C Badea
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Neuron 61:852-64. 2009..Here we dissect the roles of the highly homologous POU-domain transcription factors Brn3a and Brn3b in retinal ganglion cell (RGC) development and function using conditional Brn3a and Brn3b alleles that permit the ..
- Epitope-tagging Math5 and Pou4f2: new tools to study retinal ganglion cell development in the mouseXueyao Fu
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Dev Dyn 238:2309-17. 2009..The epitope-tagged alleles provide new and useful tools for analyzing gene regulatory networks underlying RGC development...
- Coordinate regulation of gene expression in the C. elegans excretory cell by the POU domain protein CEH-6Kristin R Armstrong
Department of Molecular Genetics, Ohio State University, 938 Biological Sciences Building, 484 W 12th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Mol Genet Genomics 283:73-87. 2010..This work suggests that a role for POU-III factors in renal organs is to coordinate the expression of a set of functionally related genes...
- Gene expression and differentiation characteristics in mice E13.5 and E17.5 neural retinal progenitorsXuerong Sun
State Key Laboratory of Ophthalmology, Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Mol Vis 15:2503-14. 2009..To improve the selection of the right-timing RPCs for replacement therapy, we compared the gene expression between embryonic day (E) 13.5 and E17.5 RPCs and further explored their gene expression and differentiation capacity in vitro...
- Cardiac expression of Brn-3a and Brn-3b POU transcription factors and regulation of Hsp27 gene expressionSaleha R Farooqui-Kabir
Cardiovascular Division, King s College London School of Medicine, Department of Cardiology, The Rayne Institute, St Thomas s Hospital, Lambeth Palace Road, London, UK
Cell Stress Chaperones 13:297-312. 2008..Furthermore, Brn-3a may be necessary for correct valve and myocardial remodelling and maturation...
- A comprehensive negative regulatory program controlled by Brn3b to ensure ganglion cell specification from multipotential retinal precursorsFeng Qiu
Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine and Department of Pediatrics, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854, USA
J Neurosci 28:3392-403. 2008..Here we show that the previously unsuspected POU domain transcription factor Brn3b (brain-specific homeobox/POU domain protein 3b) plays such a critical role...
- Progressive ganglion cell degeneration precedes neuronal loss in a mouse model of glaucomaBrian P Buckingham
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
J Neurosci 28:2735-44. 2008..This progression of degeneration suggests a need to examine the RGC axon as a locus of pathology in glaucoma...
- Drosophila octamer elements and Pdm-1 dictate the coordinated transcription of core histone genesMei Chin Lee
Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, 61 Biopolis Drive, Proteos, Singapore
J Biol Chem 285:9041-53. 2010..Finally, dmOCA-S is recruited to the Drosophila histone locus bodies in the S-phase, marking S-phase-specific transcription activation of core histone genes...
- Cancer-related transcriptional targets of the circadian gene NPAS2 identified by genome-wide ChIP-on-chip analysisChun Hui Yi
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, United States
Cancer Lett 284:149-56. 2009..These results report the first list of direct transcriptional targets of NPAS2 and will shed light on the role of circadian genes in tumorigenesis...
- Morphologies of mouse retinal ganglion cells expressing transcription factors Brn3a, Brn3b, and Brn3c: analysis of wild type and mutant cells using genetically-directed sparse labelingTudor Constantin Badea
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Vision Res 51:269-79. 2011..Previous work has shown that the transcription factor Brn3b/Pou4f2 plays a major role in the development and survival of many RGCs...
- E13.5 retinal progenitors induce mouse bone marrow mesenchymal stromal cells to differentiate into retinal progenitor-like cellsXuerong Sun
State Key Laboratory of Ophthalmology, Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Cytotherapy 13:294-303. 2011..Retinal progenitor cells (RPC) are an excellent resource for retinal replacement therapy but usually unavailable. We attempted to induce bone marrow mesenchymal stromal cells (BMSC) into RPC...
- Islet-1 controls the differentiation of retinal bipolar and cholinergic amacrine cellsYasser Elshatory
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Neurosci 27:12707-20. 2007....
- SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling ATPase Brm regulates the differentiation of early retinal stem cells/progenitors by influencing Brn3b expression and Notch signalingAni V Das
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska 68198, USA
J Biol Chem 282:35187-201. 2007..cell differentiation by facilitating the expression and function of a key regulator of retinal ganglion cells, Brn3b, and the inhibition of Notch signaling...
- In vitro differentiation of retinal ganglion-like cells from embryonic stem cell derived neural progenitorsBalusamy Jagatha
Neuro Stem Cell Biology Laboratory, Department of Neurobiology, Rajiv Gandhi Center for Biotechnology, Thycaud PO, Poojappura, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala 695 014, India
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 380:230-5. 2009..These cells expressed RGC regulators and markers such as, Ath5, Brn3b, RPF-1, Thy-1 and Islet-1, confirming their potential to differentiate into RGCs...
- The Brn-3b POU family transcription factor represses plakoglobin gene expression in human breast cancer cellsLaila Samady
Medical Molecular Biology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, United Kingdom
Int J Cancer 118:869-78. 2006....
- Axotomy-induced early down-regulation of POU-IV class transcription factors Brn-3a and Brn-3b in retinal ganglion cellsJochen H Weishaupt
Department of Neurology, University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
J Mol Neurosci 26:17-25. 2005....
- Sequence comparison of the Caenorhabditis elegans dpy-13 and col-34 genes, and their deduced collagen productsD M Bird
Department of Nematology, University of California, Riverside 92521 0415
Gene 120:261-6. 1992..In particular, one region of Dpy-13, which is predicted to have secondary structure different from Col-34, is altered by the recessive dpy-13(e225) mutation...
- XLPOU-60, a Xenopus POU-domain mRNA, is oocyte-specific from very early stages of oogenesis, and localised to presumptive mesoderm and ectoderm in the blastulaT Whitfield
Wellcome CRC Institute of Cancer and Developmental Biology, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Dev Biol 155:361-70. 1993..Localisation of the transcript in the embryo may indicate that XLPOU-60 is also required for the initiation of mesoderm- and ectoderm-specific patterns of transcription in the embryo...
- Short isoform of POU factor Brn-3b can form a heterodimer with Brn-3a that is inactive for octamer motif bindingT Theil
Institute für Molekularbiologie und Tumorforschung, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Germany
J Biol Chem 270:30958-64. 1995..Therefore, we hypothesize that Brn-3b(s) can act as a direct antagonist of Brn-3a(1) by inhibiting its DNA binding through the formation of an inactive hetero-oligomeric complex...
- Retina-derived POU-domain factor-1: a complex POU-domain gene implicated in the development of retinal ganglion and amacrine cellsH Zhou
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Neurosci 16:2261-74. 1996..These data suggest that RPF-1 is likely to be involved in early steps in the differentiation of amacrine and ganglion cells...
- A single amino acid change converts an inhibitory transcription factor into an activatorS J Dawson
Department of Molecular Pathology, University College London Medical School, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 271:11631-3. 1996..Hence a single amino acid difference determines the difference between an activator and a repressor in the Brn-3 family...
- P-OTX: a PIT-1-interacting homeodomain factor expressed during anterior pituitary gland developmentD P Szeto
Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, San Diego 92093 0648, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:7706-10. 1996..identified on the basis of its ability to interact with the transactivation domain of the pituitary-specific POU domain protein, Pit-1...
- Targeted deletion of the mouse POU domain gene Brn-3a causes selective loss of neurons in the brainstem and trigeminal ganglion, uncoordinated limb movement, and impaired sucklingM Xiang
Department of Molecular Biology, Johns Hopkins University School Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:11950-5. 1996....
- POU domain factor Brn-3b is required for the development of a large set of retinal ganglion cellsL Gan
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:3920-5. 1996..In Brn-3b (-/-) mice other neurons within the retina and brain are minimally or not at all affected. These experiments indicate that Brn-3b plays an essential role in the development of specific ganglion cell types...
- Requirement for Brn-3b in early differentiation of postmitotic retinal ganglion cell precursorsM Xiang
Department of Pediatrics, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway 08854, USA
Dev Biol 197:155-69. 1998....
- SpOct, a gene encoding the major octamer-binding protein in sea urchin embryos: expression profile, evolutionary relationships, and DNA binding of expressed proteinB R Char
Department of Biochemistry and Kenneth R Norris Cancer Hospital and Research Institute, University of Southern California School of Medicine, Los Angeles 90033
Dev Biol 158:350-63. 1993..1992) showed that expression of the alpha H2B gene in blastula-stage embryos was entirely dependent on an octamer element. Together, these data strongly suggest that SpOct may be the key regulator of the alpha H2B gene...
- Mouse Brn-3 family of POU transcription factors: a new aminoterminal domain is crucial for the oncogenic activity of Brn-3aT Theil
Institut für Molekularbiologie und Tumorforschung IMT, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Germany
Nucleic Acids Res 21:5921-9. 1993..In addition, our data indicate that Brn-3b acts as an inhibitor of Brn-3a(l) activity...
- Differential expression of four members of the POU family of proteins in activated and phorbol 12-myristate 13-acetate-treated Jurkat T cellsA K Bhargava
Department of Genetics, School of Medicine, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06536 0812
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90:10260-4. 1993..Transient transfection of the gene encoding Oct-T1 decreased the activity of the interleukin 2 gene promoter in activated Jurkat cells. Further, there is evidence for an additional octamer-binding protein, Oct-T3, in Jurkat T cells...
- The POU domain transcription factor Brn-2: elevated expression in malignant melanoma and regulation of melanocyte-specific gene expressionT Eisen
Eukaryotic Transcription Laboratory, Marie Curie Research Institute, Oxted, Surrey, UK
Oncogene 11:2157-64. 1995..Using a proteolytic clipping assay, we show that the melanoma-specific octamer factor is Brn-2/N-Oct3, a POU domain protein previously known to be expressed in adult brain and in the developing nervous system...
- Interaction of Oct-1 with TFIIB. Implications for a novel response elicited through the proximal octamer site of the lipoprotein lipase promoterH Nakshatri
Laboratory of Gene Regulation, Picower Institute for Medical Research, Manhasset, New York 11030, USA
J Biol Chem 270:19613-23. 1995The ubiquitous human POU domain protein, Oct-1, and the related B-cell protein, Oct-2, regulate transcription from a variety of eukaryotic genes by binding to a common cis-acting octamer element, 5'-ATTTGCAT-3'...
- Brn-3b: a POU domain gene expressed in a subset of retinal ganglion cellsM Xiang
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205
Neuron 11:689-701. 1993..POU domain transcription factors in human retina cDNA has led to the identification of Brn-3b, a class IV POU domain protein. Immunohistochemical experiments show that chicken, mouse, rabbit, monkey, and human retinas contain Brn-3b ..
- Functional interaction between the POU domain protein Tst-1/Oct-6 and the high-mobility-group protein HMG-I/YH Leger
Zentrum für Molekulare Neurobiologie, Universitat Hamburg, Germany
Mol Cell Biol 15:3738-47. 1995The POU domain protein Tst-1/Oct-6 is a transcriptional activator of human papovavirus JC virus in transient transfections...
- The cellular C1 factor of the herpes simplex virus enhancer complex is a family of polypeptidesT M Kristie
Laboratory of Viral Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
J Biol Chem 270:4387-94. 1995..simplex virus are regulated by the specific assembly of a multiprotein enhancer complex containing the Oct-1 POU domain protein, the viral alpha-transinduction factor alpha TIF, (VP16, ICP25), and the C1 cellular factor...
- Brn-5 is a divergent POU domain factor highly expressed in layer IV of the neocortexB Andersen
Eukaryotic Regulatory Biology Program, School of Medicine, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0648
J Biol Chem 268:23390-8. 1993We have identified rat cDNA clones that encode a POU domain protein, referred to as brain-5 (Brn-5)...
- Cloning, sequencing and restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis of a porcine cDNA for OCT2C K Tuggle
Department of Animal Science, Iowa State University, Ames 50011
Anim Genet 25:141-5. 1994..The TaqI polymorphism was also detected by a non-POU-domain OCT2 probe, demonstrating that this RFLP is located in the OCT2 gene. This result suggests that OCT2 is likely to be a single-copy gene in swine as seen in other mammals...
- Pit-1 gene expression in the human pituitary and pituitary adenomasI Pellegrini
INSERM U297, Marseille, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 79:189-96. 1994The cellular basis for pituitary neoplasia is poorly understood. The POU domain protein Pit-1 is a pituitary-specific transcription factor involved in the generation, differentiation, and proliferation of three pituitary cell types: ..
- The herpesvirus transactivator VP16 mimics a human basic domain leucine zipper protein, luman, in its interaction with HCFR Lu
Department of Veterinary Microbiology, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7N 5B4
J Virol 72:6291-7. 1998..but forms a multiprotein complex on the viral immediate-early gene promoters with two cellular proteins: the POU domain protein Oct-1 and host cell factor (HCF; also called C1, VCAF, and CFF)...
- SAP30, a component of the mSin3 corepressor complex involved in N-CoR-mediated repression by specific transcription factorsC D Laherty
Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
Mol Cell 2:33-42. 1998..estrogen receptor and the homeodomain protein Rpx, as well as N-CoR suppression of transactivation by the POU domain protein Pit-1...
- Expression of the Brn-3b transcription factor correlates with expression of HSP-27 in breast cancer biopsies and is required for maximal activation of the HSP-27 promoterSonia A Lee
Medical Molecular Biology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, 30 Guilford Street, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Cancer Res 65:3072-80. 2005..Thus, Brn-3b can, directly and indirectly (via interaction with the ER), activate HSP-27 expression, and this may represent one mechanism by which Brn-3b mediates its effects in breast cancer cells...
- The POU domain protein spg (pou2/Oct4) is essential for endoderm formation in cooperation with the HMG domain protein casanovaGerlinde Reim
MPI of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics, and Department of Genetics, TU Dresden, Pfotenhauerstrasse 108, D 01309 Dresden, Germany
Dev Cell 6:91-101. 2004..The joint control of endoderm formation by spg and cas suggests that the endodermal germlayer may be a tissue unit with distinct genetic control, thus adding genetic support to the germlayer concept in metazoan development...
- Activation of CDK4 gene expression in human breast cancer cells by the Brn-3b POU family transcription factorLaila Samady
Medical Molecular Biology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, UK
Cancer Biol Ther 3:317-23. 2004..The effect of Brn-3b on the growth regulatory CDK4 protein provides a further mechanism by which Brn-3b can regulate breast cancer cell growth and indicates that it can do this by activating as well as repressing specific target genes...
- The effects of Brn-3a on neuronal differentiation and apoptosis are differentially modulated by EWS and its oncogenic derivative EWS/Fli-1Duncan M Gascoyne
Medical Molecular Biology Unit, Institute of Child Health, UCL, 30 Guilford Street, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Oncogene 23:3830-40. 2004..These data demonstrate that oncogenic rearrangement of EWS to produce EWS/Fli-1 may enhance the antiapoptotic effect of Brn-3a and inhibit its ability to promote neuronal differentiation...
- Developmental expression of the POU domain transcription factor Brn-3b (Pou4f2) in the lateral line and visual system of zebrafishAna C deCarvalho
Department of Biological Science, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida 32306 4340, USA
Dev Dyn 229:869-76. 2004..The expression of brn-3b in the mechanosensory lateral line of fish suggests a conserved function of a class IV POU domain transcription factor in sensory system development...
- IDENTIFICATION OF GENES REGULATING RETINAL GANGLION CELLWILLIAM KLEIN; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- GROWTH FACTORS IN MAMMALIAN EYE DEVELOPMENTJeffrey Bennett; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies should provide novel insight into the molecular genetics of eye development, potentially broaden our understanding of degenerative eye disorders and open new avenues for their treatment with growth factors. ..
- CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF GLAUCOMA IN AN ANIMAL MODELRichard Lee; Fiscal Year: 2009..This grant's specific aims will characterize a popular animal model of glaucoma, lead to important discoveries in our understanding of glaucoma, and develop the career of the principal investigator as a clinician scientist. ..
- Math5 Regulatory Pathway in Retinal DevelopmentLin Gan; Fiscal Year: 2010..we have shown that Math5 positively regulates the expression of RGC- specific transcription factors like Brn3b and Isl1, and negatively regulates non-RGC factors such as Bhlhb5, NeuroD, Math3, and Ngn2...
- EXPRESSION OF SNRNA GENESArne Stenlund; Fiscal Year: 2006..sequence element or DSE, which activates transcription and contains an octamer sequence that recruits the POU domain protein Oct-1 and a so-called SPH site that recruits the zinc finger protein Staf(ZNF143)...
- Selective Silencing of Mammalian Neurons: Proof of MiceHenry Lester; Fiscal Year: 2004..The assay is pain. The second, for retinal ganglion cells, will employ the Brn3b promoter. The assays are visual behavior and visual evoked potentials...
- Brn-3 Transcription Factors in Retinal DevelopmentLin Gan; Fiscal Year: 2007..Transgenic approaches will be used to investigate their roles in retinal development, particularly the axon pathfinding and survival of RGCs. ..
- Roles of Homeodomain Factors in Neural DevelopmentMengqing Xiang; Fiscal Year: 2004..We have demonstrated that the POU homeodomain transcription factors Brn3a and Brn3b play essential roles during sensorineural development...
- Inducible Gene Expression in Retinal Ganglion CellsJohn Kerrison; Fiscal Year: 2004..containing retinal ganglion cell development as evidenced by a 70% reduction in retinal ganglion cell number in Brn3b knockout mice. The final specific aim is to ascertain the network of genes regulated by Brn3b using microarrays...
- GENETIC CONTROL OF RETINA SPECIFICATIONGraeme Mardon; Fiscal Year: 2005..3. Place Dach1 and Dach2 in a retinal hierarchy with Pax6, Math5, and Brn3b. These studies are required to characterize the relationships between genes operating during retinal development...