Genomes and Genes
brain derived neurotrophic factor
Gene Symbol: brain derived neurotrophic factor
Description: brain derived neurotrophic factor
Alias: ANON2, BULN2, brain-derived neurotrophic factor, abrineurin, neurotrophin
Products: brain derived neurotrophic factor
Publications139 found, 100 shown here
- Comasco E, Aslund C, Oreland L, Nilsson K. Three-way interaction effect of 5-HTTLPR, BDNF Val66Met, and childhood adversity on depression: a replication study. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2013;23:1300-6 pubmed publisher..The study also shows the importance of genetic plasticity in individuals with different environmental exposure, for different phenotypic expression. ..
- Molendijk M, Haffmans J, Bus B, Spinhoven P, Penninx B, Prickaerts J, et al. Serum BDNF concentrations show strong seasonal variation and correlations with the amount of ambient sunlight. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e48046 pubmed publisher..Finally, the findings reported here should be taken into account when designing and interpreting studies on BDNF. ..
- Rostami E, Krueger F, Zoubak S, Dal Monte O, Raymont V, Pardini M, et al. BDNF polymorphism predicts general intelligence after penetrating traumatic brain injury. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27389 pubmed publisher..Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), a member of the neurotrophin family, plays an important role in this process...
- Terracciano A, Tanaka T, Sutin A, Deiana B, Balaci L, Sanna S, et al. BDNF Val66Met is associated with introversion and interacts with 5-HTTLPR to influence neuroticism. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2010;35:1083-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings support the association between the BDNF Met variant and introversion and suggest that BDNF interacts with the serotonin transporter gene to influence neuroticism. ..
- Ikegame T, Bundo M, Sunaga F, Asai T, Nishimura F, Yoshikawa A, et al. DNA methylation analysis of BDNF gene promoters in peripheral blood cells of schizophrenia patients. Neurosci Res. 2013;77:208-14 pubmed publisher..Epigenetic alteration of BDNF in the PBC might reflect the pathophysiology of schizophrenia, and could be a potential biomarker. ..
- Grzywacz A, Samochowiec A, Ciechanowicz A, Samochowiec J. Family-based study of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) gene polymorphism in alcohol dependence. Pharmacol Rep. 2010;62:938-41 pubmed..One hundred and thirty-eight healthy control subjects were matched based on ethnicity and gender. An association between the BDNF Val66Met gene polymorphism and alcoholism was not found. ..
- Munno D, Sterpone S, Fania S, Cappellin F, Mengozzi G, Saroldi M, et al. Plasma brain derived neurotrophic factor levels and neuropsychological aspects of depressed patients treated with paroxetine. Panminerva Med. 2013;55:377-84 pubmed..We confirm literature data regarding the link between BDNF plasma levels, depression and antidepressant treatments. In addiction we found a specific cognitive deficit of depressed patients. ..
- Terracciano A, Martin B, Ansari D, Tanaka T, Ferrucci L, Maudsley S, et al. Plasma BDNF concentration, Val66Met genetic variant and depression-related personality traits. Genes Brain Behav. 2010;9:512-8 pubmed publisher..These findings challenge the prevailing hypothesis that lower peripheral levels of BDNF are a marker of depression. ..
- Sun Y, Yang J, Wang P, Li Y, Xie S, Sun R. Cisplatin regulates SH-SY5Y cell growth through downregulation of BDNF via miR-16. Oncol Rep. 2013;30:2343-9 pubmed publisher..These findings provide the basis for new targets for drug design or cancer therapy. ..
- Getzmann S, Gajewski P, Hengstler J, Falkenstein M, Beste C. BDNF Val66Met polymorphism and goal-directed behavior in healthy elderly - evidence from auditory distraction. Neuroimage. 2013;64:290-8 pubmed publisher..We suggest an account for unifying different results of BDNF Val66Met association studies in executive functions, based on the role of BDNF in fronto-striatal circuits. ..
- Tanure M, Gomez R, Hurtado R, Teixeira A, Domingues R. Increased serum levels of brain-derived neurotropic factor during migraine attacks: a pilot study. J Headache Pain. 2010;11:427-30 pubmed publisher..This is the first report showing that BDNF serum levels increase during migraine attack. This reinforces the view that BDNF may be implicated in the physiopathology of migraine. ..
- Kim J, Stewart R, Park M, Kang H, Kim S, Shin I, et al. Associations of BDNF genotype and promoter methylation with acute and long-term stroke outcomes in an East Asian cohort. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e51280 pubmed publisherb>Brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) has been shown to play an important role in poststroke recovery. BDNF secretion is influenced by genetic and epigenetic profiles...
- Goodyer I, Croudace T, Dudbridge F, Ban M, Herbert J. Polymorphisms in BDNF (Val66Met) and 5-HTTLPR, morning cortisol and subsequent depression in at-risk adolescents. Br J Psychiatry. 2010;197:365-71 pubmed publisher..In adolescents morning salivary cortisol levels may constitute a biomarker for some forms of unipolar depression. ..
- Hosang G, Shiles C, Tansey K, McGuffin P, Uher R. Interaction between stress and the BDNF Val66Met polymorphism in depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Med. 2014;12:7 pubmed publisher..051). The interaction between BDNF and life stress in depression is stronger for stressful life events rather than childhood adversity. Methodological limitations of existing studies include poor measurement of life stress. ..
- Haerian B. BDNF rs6265 polymorphism and drug addiction: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Pharmacogenomics. 2013;14:2055-65 pubmed publisher..005 and p = 0.0004, respectively). In conclusion, the rs6265 polymorphism may be a risk factor for methamphetamine dependence in south Asian subjects or for heroin dependence in Chinese subjects. ..
- Wu L, Fan Y, Li S, Li X, Zhou X. Huntingtin-associated protein-1 interacts with pro-brain-derived neurotrophic factor and mediates its transport and release. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:5614-23 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, the decreased interaction between HAP1 and pro-BDNF in Huntington disease may reduce the release and transport of BDNF. ..
- Lencz T, Lipsky R, DeRosse P, Burdick K, Kane J, Malhotra A. Molecular differentiation of schizoaffective disorder from schizophrenia using BDNF haplotypes. Br J Psychiatry. 2009;194:313-8 pubmed publisher..Variation in the BDNF gene may be associated with the clinical phenotype of affective dysregulation across several DSM-IV diagnostic categories. ..
- Benjamin S, McQuoid D, Potter G, Payne M, MacFall J, Steffens D, et al. The brain-derived neurotrophic factor Val66Met polymorphism, hippocampal volume, and cognitive function in geriatric depression. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2010;18:323-31 pubmed publisher..The authors examined the relationship between the BDNF gene and hippocampal volumes in depressed and nondepressed older individuals and its relationship with memory functions mediated by the hippocampus...
- Alemany S, Arias B, Aguilera M, Villa H, Moya J, Ibáñez M, et al. Childhood abuse, the BDNF-Val66Met polymorphism and adult psychotic-like experiences. Br J Psychiatry. 2011;199:38-42 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the observed gene-environment interaction effect may be partially responsible for individual variation in response to childhood abuse. ..
- Chen S, Lee S, Chang Y, Chen S, Chu C, Wang T, et al. The BDNF Val66Met polymorphism and plasma brain-derived neurotrophic factor levels in Han Chinese patients with bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2014;51:99-104 pubmed publisher..We conclude that plasma BDNF profiles in different mental disorders are not affected by BDNF Val66Met gene variants, but by the process and progression of the illness itself. ..
- Ignácio Z, Réus G, Abelaira H, Quevedo J. Epigenetic and epistatic interactions between serotonin transporter and brain-derived neurotrophic factor genetic polymorphism: insights in depression. Neuroscience. 2014;275:455-68 pubmed publisher..This review highlights some research studying changes in the epigenetic patterns intrinsic to genes of 5-HTT and BDNF, which are related to lifelong environmental adversities, which in turn increases the risks of developing MDD. ..
- Zhang J, Zhang X, Su H, Tao J, Xie Y, Han B, et al. Increased serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor levels during opiate withdrawal. Neurosci Lett. 2014;571:61-5 pubmed publisher..101, p=0.301). These results indicate that BDNF may play a critical role in the course of opiate addiction and withdrawal. ..
- Real E, Gratacos M, Soria V, Escaramis G, Alonso P, Segalas C, et al. A brain-derived neurotrophic factor haplotype is associated with therapeutic response in obsessive-compulsive disorder. Biol Psychiatry. 2009;66:674-80 pubmed publisher..Our results support the hypothesis that the BDNF gene is involved in the response to psychopharmacologic treatment even though these preliminary findings await replication in a follow-up sample. ..
- Tsai S, Hong C, Yu Y, Chen T. Association study of a brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) Val66Met polymorphism and personality trait and intelligence in healthy young females. Neuropsychobiology. 2004;49:13-6 pubmed..In contrast to a recent report, however, this polymorphism does not appear to be associated with the neuroticism-related personality trait. ..
- Bariohay B, Lebrun B, Moyse E, Jean A. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor plays a role as an anorexigenic factor in the dorsal vagal complex. Endocrinology. 2005;146:5612-20 pubmed..Previous studies focused on the hypothalamus as a probable site of action for this neurotrophin. It was demonstrated that BDNF is an important downstream effector of melanocortin signaling in the ..
- Webster M, Herman M, Kleinman J, Shannon Weickert C. BDNF and trkB mRNA expression in the hippocampus and temporal cortex during the human lifespan. Gene Expr Patterns. 2006;6:941-51 pubmed..The increase in BDNF and trkB TK+ mRNA in the temporal cortex of the neonate suggests that neurotrophin signaling is important in the early development of the temporal cortex...
- Suzuki A, Matsumoto Y, Shibuya N, Sadahiro R, Kamata M, Goto K, et al. The brain-derived neurotrophic factor Val66Met polymorphism modulates the effects of parental rearing on personality traits in healthy subjects. Genes Brain Behav. 2011;10:385-91 pubmed publisher..Data from this study suggest that the BDNF Val66Met polymorphism modulates the effects of parental rearing, especially maternal care, on harm avoidance and self-directedness in healthy subjects. ..
- Nagata T, Shinagawa S, Nukariya K, Ochiai Y, Kawamura S, Agawa Ohta M, et al. Association between brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) gene polymorphisms and executive function in Japanese patients with Alzheimer's disease. Psychogeriatrics. 2011;11:141-9 pubmed publisher..Of the known BDNF polymorphisms, the C270T SNP may influence executive dysfunction as a non-memory cognitive impairment in Japanese patients with AD. ..
- Sklar P, Gabriel S, McInnis M, Bennett P, Lim Y, Tsan G, et al. Family-based association study of 76 candidate genes in bipolar disorder: BDNF is a potential risk locus. Brain-derived neutrophic factor. Mol Psychiatry. 2002;7:579-93 pubmed..5 kb 3'. Therefore, this study of 76 candidate genes has identified BDNF as a potential risk allele that will require additional study to confirm. ..
- Hong C, Liu H, Liu T, Lin C, Cheng C, Tsai S. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) Val66Met polymorphisms in Parkinson's disease and age of onset. Neurosci Lett. 2003;353:75-7 pubmed..Other BDNF genetic variants, and the association of these variants with PD symptomatology or treatment response, may merit further investigation. ..
- Hong C, Huo S, Yen F, Tung C, Pan G, Tsai S. Association study of a brain-derived neurotrophic-factor genetic polymorphism and mood disorders, age of onset and suicidal behavior. Neuropsychobiology. 2003;48:186-9 pubmedBrain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), a member of the neurotrophin growth factor family, has been implicated in both mood disorders and suicidal behavior...
- Akatsu H, Yamagata H, Kawamata J, Kamino K, Takeda M, Yamamoto T, et al. Variations in the BDNF gene in autopsy-confirmed Alzheimer's disease and dementia with Lewy bodies in Japan. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2006;22:216-22 pubmed..Our findings suggest that it is unlikely that these BDNF polymorphisms play a major role in the pathogenesis of AD and DLB in the Japanese population. ..
- Raz N, Dahle C, Rodrigue K, Kennedy K, Land S, Jacobs B. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor Val66Met and blood glucose: a synergistic effect on memory. Front Hum Neurosci. 2008;2:12 pubmed publisher..Alleviation of treatable vascular risks in such persons may have a positive effect on age-related cognitive declines. ..
- Gasic G, Smoller J, Perlis R, Sun M, Lee S, Kim B, et al. BDNF, relative preference, and reward circuitry responses to emotional communication. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2009;150B:762-81 pubmed publisherb>Brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) regulates neural development and synaptic transmission...
- Xu C, Wang Z, Fan M, Liu B, Song M, Zhen X, et al. Effects of BDNF Val66Met polymorphism on brain metabolism in Alzheimer's disease. Neuroreport. 2010;21:802-7 pubmed publisher..For those with Alzheimer's disease, we also found additional differences in the bilateral insula between the carriers and noncarriers. ..
- Bhang S, Ahn J, Choi S. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor and serotonin transporter gene-linked promoter region genes alter serum levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in humans. J Affect Disord. 2011;128:299-304 pubmed publisher..Our findings might contribute to a better understanding of the effect of BDNF and 5-HTTLPR gene on serum BDNF level in humans. ..
- Kent L, Green E, Hawi Z, Kirley A, Dudbridge F, Lowe N, et al. Association of the paternally transmitted copy of common Valine allele of the Val66Met polymorphism of the brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) gene with susceptibility to ADHD. Mol Psychiatry. 2005;10:939-43 pubmed..BDNF is a member of the neurotrophin family and is involved in the survival and differentiation of dopaminergic neurons in the developing brain (of ..
- Li Y, Rowland C, Tacey K, Catanese J, Sninsky J, Hardy J, et al. The BDNF Val66Met polymorphism is not associated with late onset Alzheimer's disease in three case-control samples. Mol Psychiatry. 2005;10:809-10 pubmed
- Perroud N, Courtet P, Vincze I, Jaussent I, Jollant F, Bellivier F, et al. Interaction between BDNF Val66Met and childhood trauma on adult's violent suicide attempt. Genes Brain Behav. 2008;7:314-22 pubmed..It is proposed that childhood sexual abuse elicits brain structural modifications through BDNF dysfunction and enhances the risk of violent SB in adulthood. ..
- Tang S, Chu E, Hui T, Helmeste D, Law C. Influence of exercise on serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor concentrations in healthy human subjects. Neurosci Lett. 2008;431:62-5 pubmed..Inter-individual differences, on the other hand, were larger by comparison. The result of this study supports the need for larger sample size in studies on BDNF changes in psychiatric disorders or psychiatric drug effects. ..
- Sánchez Mora C, Ribases M, Ramos Quiroga J, Casas M, Bosch R, Boreatti Hümmer A, et al. Meta-analysis of brain-derived neurotrophic factor p.Val66Met in adult ADHD in four European populations. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2010;153B:512-523 pubmed publisher..Despite the potential role of BDNF in ADHD, our data do not support the involvement of p.Val66Met in the pathogenesis of this neuropsychiatric disorder. ..
- Wagner S, Baskaya O, Dahmen N, Lieb K, Tadic A. Modulatory role of the brain-derived neurotrophic factor Val66Met polymorphism on the effects of serious life events on impulsive aggression in borderline personality disorder. Genes Brain Behav. 2010;9:97-102 pubmed publisher..The interrelations between serious life events, impulsive aggression and the BDNF Val(66)Met polymorphism as well as their implication for BPD are far from understood and require further investigations. ..
- Krueger F, Pardini M, Huey E, Raymont V, Solomon J, Lipsky R, et al. The role of the Met66 brain-derived neurotrophic factor allele in the recovery of executive functioning after combat-related traumatic brain injury. J Neurosci. 2011;31:598-606 pubmed publisherBrain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), a member of the neurotrophin family, promotes survival and synaptic plasticity in the human brain...
- Pae C, Chiesa A, Porcelli S, Han C, Patkar A, Lee S, et al. Influence of BDNF variants on diagnosis and response to treatment in patients with major depression, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Neuropsychobiology. 2012;65:1-11 pubmed publisher..However, taking into account the several limitations of our study, including the moderately small sample size, further research is needed to draw more definitive conclusions. ..
- Gratacos M, Soria V, Urretavizcaya M, Gonzalez J, Crespo J, Bayes M, et al. A brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) haplotype is associated with antidepressant treatment outcome in mood disorders. Pharmacogenomics J. 2008;8:101-12 pubmed..95; P=0.0025). We also identified a haplotype associated with this phenotype. This study supports the implication of BDNF in antidepressant treatment outcome in MD, with specific association with 5' upstream region of BDNF gene. ..
- Begliuomini S, Lenzi E, Ninni F, Casarosa E, Merlini S, Pluchino N, et al. Plasma brain-derived neurotrophic factor daily variations in men: correlation with cortisol circadian rhythm. J Endocrinol. 2008;197:429-35 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the correlation found out between BDNF and cortisol circadian trend allows us to speculate that these two factors may be physiologically co-regulated, in order to maintain the homeostasis of integrated cerebral activities. ..
- Erickson K, Kim J, Suever B, Voss M, Francis B, Kramer A. Genetic contributions to age-related decline in executive function: a 10-year longitudinal study of COMT and BDNF polymorphisms. Front Hum Neurosci. 2008;2:11 pubmed publisher..These results are discussed in relation to the role of BDNF in senescence and the transforming impact of the Met allele on cognitive function in old age. ..
- McHughen S, RODRIGUEZ P, Kleim J, Kleim E, Marchal Crespo L, Procaccio V, et al. BDNF val66met polymorphism influences motor system function in the human brain. Cereb Cortex. 2010;20:1254-62 pubmed publisher..The broader implications of these findings are considered. ..
- Weinstock Guttman B, Benedict R, Tamaño Blanco M, Ramasamy D, Stosic M, Polito J, et al. The rs2030324 SNP of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) is associated with visual cognitive processing in multiple sclerosis. Pathophysiology. 2011;18:43-52 pubmed publisher..The C allele of BDNF rs2030324 is associated with protection against visual cognitive processing deficits via mechanisms that appear associated with the volume of the thalamus. ..
- Borroni B, Bianchi M, Premi E, Alberici A, Archetti S, Paghera B, et al. The brain-derived neurotrophic factor Val66Met polymorphism is associated with reduced hippocampus perfusion in frontotemporal lobar degeneration. J Alzheimers Dis. 2012;31:243-51 pubmed publisher..BDNF Val66Met polymorphism may play a role as a modulator of the FTLD expression and may drive a selective damage in specific brain region affected by the disease. ..
- Hashimoto K, Koizumi H, Nakazato M, Shimizu E, Iyo M. Role of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in eating disorders: recent findings and its pathophysiological implications. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2005;29:499-504 pubmed..In addition, a more complete understanding of the signal transduction pathway via the p75 neurotrophin receptor (p75NTR) and TrkB receptors would provide new perspectives for treating eating disorders.
- Tan Y, Zhou D, Cao L, Zou Y, Wu G, Zhang X. Effect of the BDNF Val66Met genotype on episodic memory in schizophrenia. Schizophr Res. 2005;77:355-6 pubmed
- Currie J, Ramsbottom R, Ludlow H, Nevill A, Gilder M. Cardio-respiratory fitness, habitual physical activity and serum brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in men and women. Neurosci Lett. 2009;451:152-5 pubmed publisher..This is the first study to demonstrate an inverse relationship between a physiological estimate of cardio-respiratory fitness and serum BDNF. ..
- Li G, Peskind E, Millard S, Chi P, Sokal I, Yu C, et al. Cerebrospinal fluid concentration of brain-derived neurotrophic factor and cognitive function in non-demented subjects. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5424 pubmed publisher..01). Reduced CSF BDNF was associated with age-related cognitive decline, suggesting a potential mechanism that may contribute in part to cognitive decline in older individuals. ..
- Lai P, Chiu T, Huang Y. Overexpression of BDNF and TrkB in human bladder cancer specimens. Oncol Rep. 2010;24:1265-70 pubmed..In conclusion, the existence of overexpressed BDNF and TrkB in human TCC has been demonstrated in our study. A strategy involving BDNF/TrkB blockade may be a new hope for TCC target therapy. ..
- Heberlein A, Dursteler MacFarland K, Lenz B, Frieling H, Grösch M, Bönsch D, et al. Serum levels of BDNF are associated with craving in opiate-dependent patients. J Psychopharmacol. 2011;25:1480-4 pubmed publisher..016), whereas GDNF serum levels were not associated with psychometric dimensions of heroin craving. In conclusion, our results show a positive association between BDNF serum levels and opiate craving in opiate-dependent patients. ..
- Nagata T, Shinagawa S, Nukariya K, Yamada H, Nakayama K. Association between BDNF polymorphism (Val66Met) and executive function in patients with amnestic mild cognitive impairment or mild Alzheimer disease. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2012;33:266-72 pubmed publisher..These results suggested that the BDNF gene may significantly influence executive dysfunction, including inhibition tasks, among patients with mild-stage AD. ..
- Chen Z, Ieraci A, Teng H, Dall H, Meng C, Herrera D, et al. Sortilin controls intracellular sorting of brain-derived neurotrophic factor to the regulated secretory pathway. J Neurosci. 2005;25:6156-66 pubmed..A truncated form of sortilin causes BDNF missorting to the constitutive secretory pathway without affecting neurotrophin-4 (NT-4) secretion...
- Cao L, Dhilla A, Mukai J, Blazeski R, Lodovichi C, Mason C, et al. Genetic modulation of BDNF signaling affects the outcome of axonal competition in vivo. Curr Biol. 2007;17:911-21 pubmed..Our results have implications for the formation and refinement of the olfactory and other sensory maps, as well as for neuropsychiatric diseases and traits modulated by the BDNF val66met variant. ..
- Carvalho A, Caldeira M, Santos S, Duarte C. Role of the brain-derived neurotrophic factor at glutamatergic synapses. Br J Pharmacol. 2008;153 Suppl 1:S310-24 pubmedThe neurotrophin brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) plays an important role in the activity-dependent regulation of synaptic structure and function, particularly of the glutamatergic synapses...
- Cheeran B, Talelli P, Mori F, Koch G, Suppa A, Edwards M, et al. A common polymorphism in the brain-derived neurotrophic factor gene (BDNF) modulates human cortical plasticity and the response to rTMS. J Physiol. 2008;586:5717-25 pubmed publisher..Thus the polymorphism may be one factor that influences the natural response of the brain to injury and disease. ..
- Katerberg H, Lochner C, Cath D, De Jonge P, Bochdanovits Z, Moolman Smook J, et al. The role of the brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) val66met variant in the phenotypic expression of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2009;150B:1050-62 pubmed publisher..We found that for the BDNF Met66Met genotype may be associated with a milder phenotype in females and a possible role for the BDNF Val66Val genotype and the BDNF Val66 allele in the sexual/religious obsessions. ..
- Lu W, Zhang C, Yi Z, Li Z, Wu Z, Fang Y. Association between BDNF Val66Met polymorphism and cognitive performance in antipsychotic-naïve patients with schizophrenia. J Mol Neurosci. 2012;47:505-10 pubmed publisher..09). Cognitive performance is broadly impaired in schizophrenic patients. The BDNF Val66Met polymorphism may be involved in the impaired executive function. This effect may have gender-specific characteristics. ..
- Perroud N, Salzmann A, Prada P, Nicastro R, Hoeppli M, Furrer S, et al. Response to psychotherapy in borderline personality disorder and methylation status of the BDNF gene. Transl Psychiatry. 2013;3:e207 pubmed publisher..These results moreover support the idea that these epigenetic marks may be changed through psychotherapeutic approaches and that these changes underline changes in cognitive functions. ..
- Bian J, Zhang J, Zhang Z, Zhao H. Association analysis of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) gene 196 A/G polymorphism with Alzheimer's disease (AD) in mainland Chinese. Neurosci Lett. 2005;387:11-6 pubmed..Additionally, low frequencies of BDNF G allele and GG genotype were revealed in Chinese when compared with that in the other race populations so far reported. ..
- Yoshida K, Higuchi H, Kamata M, Takahashi H, Inoue K, Suzuki T, et al. The G196A polymorphism of the brain-derived neurotrophic factor gene and the antidepressant effect of milnacipran and fluvoxamine. J Psychopharmacol. 2007;21:650-6 pubmed..These results suggest that the BDNF G196A polymorphism in part determines the antidepressant effect of both milnacipran and fluvoxamine...
- Levinger I, Goodman C, Matthews V, Hare D, Jerums G, Garnham A, et al. BDNF, metabolic risk factors, and resistance training in middle-aged individuals. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008;40:535-41 pubmed publisher..As RT has an effect on muscle strength and lean body mass, it should be added to other nonpharmacological interventions for middle-aged individuals with HiMF such as aerobic and/or diet. ..
- Lee B, Kim Y. Reduced platelet BDNF level in patients with major depression. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2009;33:849-53 pubmed publisher..Reduced platelet BDNF contents as circulating stored BDNF could be associated with lower serum BDNF level in patients with major depression. ..
- Ozan E, Okur H, Eker C, Eker O, Gonul A, Akarsu N. The effect of depression, BDNF gene val66met polymorphism and gender on serum BDNF levels. Brain Res Bull. 2010;81:61-5 pubmed publisher..Further animal and human studies with a larger sample size should investigate whether BDNF val66met polymorphism could alter brain and serum BDNF levels. ..
- Yogeetha B, Haupt L, McKenzie K, Sutherland H, Okolicsyani R, Lea R, et al. BDNF and TNF-? polymorphisms in memory. Mol Biol Rep. 2013;40:5483-90 pubmed publisher..prospective memory including semantic, short term, working and long-term memory in conjunction with brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-?)...
- Vepsäläinen S, Castren E, Helisalmi S, Iivonen S, Mannermaa A, Lehtovirta M, et al. Genetic analysis of BDNF and TrkB gene polymorphisms in Alzheimer's disease. J Neurol. 2005;252:423-8 pubmed..However, these differences did not remain statistically significant after multiple corrections. We conclude that BDNF and TrkB genes are not contributing significant risk effect among Finnish AD patients. ..
- Green E, Raybould R, Macgregor S, Hyde S, Young A, O Donovan M, et al. Genetic variation of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in bipolar disorder: case-control study of over 3000 individuals from the UK. Br J Psychiatry. 2006;188:21-5 pubmed..Variation at the Val66Met polymorphism of BDNF does not play a major role in influencing susceptibility to bipolar disorder as a whole, but is associated with susceptibility to the rapid-cycling subset of the disorder. ..
- Okugawa Y, Tanaka K, Inoue Y, Kawamura M, Kawamoto A, Hiro J, et al. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor/tropomyosin-related kinase B pathway in gastric cancer. Br J Cancer. 2013;108:121-30 pubmed publisher..The BDNF/TrkB pathway might be deeply involved in gastric cancer disease progression. ..
- Zhang X, Zhou D, Wu G, Cao L, Tan Y, Haile C, et al. BDNF levels and genotype are associated with antipsychotic-induced weight gain in patients with chronic schizophrenia. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2008;33:2200-5 pubmed..Our results suggest that variation in the BDNF gene may be a risk factor for weight gain in male patients with schizophrenia on long-term antipsychotic treatment, and decreased BDNF levels may be associated with weight gain in females. ..
- Lee B, Chul B, Choi I, Kim Y, Ham B, Yang B, et al. Relation between plasma brain-derived neurotrophic factor and nerve growth factor in the male patients with alcohol dependence. Alcohol. 2009;43:265-9 pubmed publisher..388, P=.012). Increased plasma BDNF and NGF with negative correlation in alcohol-dependent patients may have some role in the regeneration of damage done by chronic alcohol use. ..
- Scalzo P, Kummer A, Bretas T, Cardoso F, Teixeira A. Serum levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor correlate with motor impairment in Parkinson's disease. J Neurol. 2010;257:540-5 pubmed publisher..The increase of BDNF levels with the progression of the disease may be a compensatory mechanism in more advanced stages of PD. ..
- He D, Neasta J, Ron D. Epigenetic regulation of BDNF expression via the scaffolding protein RACK1. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:19043-50 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this novel mechanism for the regulation of exon-specific expression of the BDNF gene by RACK1 could have implications on the neuronal functions of the growth factor including synaptic plasticity, learning, and memory. ..
- Witte A, Kürten J, Jansen S, Schirmacher A, Brand E, Sommer J, et al. Interaction of BDNF and COMT polymorphisms on paired-associative stimulation-induced cortical plasticity. J Neurosci. 2012;32:4553-61 pubmed publisher..Moreover, they show that genotype-related differences in neurophysiology translate into behavioral differences. These findings might contribute to a better understanding of the mechanisms of interindividual differences in cognition. ..
- Riemenschneider M, Schwarz S, Wagenpfeil S, Diehl J, Muller U, Forstl H, et al. A polymorphism of the brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) is associated with Alzheimer's disease in patients lacking the Apolipoprotein E epsilon4 allele. Mol Psychiatry. 2002;7:782-5 pubmed..The results suggest that the BDNF C-270T polymorphism is a relevant risk factor for AD particularly in patients lacking the ApoE epsilon4 allele in this German sample. ..
- Shimizu E, Hashimoto K, Okamura N, Koike K, Komatsu N, Kumakiri C, et al. Alterations of serum levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in depressed patients with or without antidepressants. Biol Psychiatry. 2003;54:70-5 pubmed..Our study suggests that low BDNF levels may play a pivotal role in the pathophysiology of MDD and that antidepressants may increase BDNF in depressed patients. ..
- Monteleone P, Zanardini R, Tortorella A, Gennarelli M, Castaldo E, Canestrelli B, et al. The 196G/A (val66met) polymorphism of the BDNF gene is significantly associated with binge eating behavior in women with bulimia nervosa or binge eating disorder. Neurosci Lett. 2006;406:133-7 pubmed..These results suggest that the 196G/A SNP of the human BDNF gene does not contribute to the genetic susceptibility to BN and BED, but may predispose those patients to a more severe binge eating behavior. ..
- Liu L, Foroud T, Xuei X, Berrettini W, Byerley W, Coryell W, et al. Evidence of association between brain-derived neurotrophic factor gene and bipolar disorder. Psychiatr Genet. 2008;18:267-74 pubmed publisher..05) with rapid cycling. These results provide further evidence that variation in BDNF affects the risk for bipolar disorder. ..
- Bocchio Chiavetto L, Bagnardi V, Zanardini R, Molteni R, Nielsen M, Placentino A, et al. Serum and plasma BDNF levels in major depression: a replication study and meta-analyses. World J Biol Psychiatry. 2010;11:763-73 pubmed publisher..of BDNF signalling in major depression (MD) are supported by studies demonstrating decreased levels of the neurotrophin serum and plasma content in MD patients...
- Vossen H, Kenis G, Rutten B, Van Os J, Hermens H, Lousberg R. The genetic influence on the cortical processing of experimental pain and the moderating effect of pain status. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e13641 pubmed publisher..The current study suggests that chronic experience of pain enhances genetic sensitivity to experimentally induced mildly painful stimuli, possibly through a process of epigenetic modification. ..
- Minelli A, Zanardini R, Bonvicini C, Sartori R, Pedrini L, Gennarelli M, et al. BDNF serum levels, but not BDNF Val66Met genotype, are correlated with personality traits in healthy subjects. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2011;261:323-9 pubmed publisher..022). The study results suggest that a decrease in serum BDNF concentrations may represent a biochemical marker associated with anxiety personality traits also retrievable in the general population. ..
- Maisonpierre P, Le Beau M, Espinosa R, Ip N, Belluscio L, de la Monte S, et al. Human and rat brain-derived neurotrophic factor and neurotrophin-3: gene structures, distributions, and chromosomal localizations. Genomics. 1991;10:558-68 pubmed..Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and neurotrophin-3 (NT-3) are two recently cloned neurotrophic factors that are homologous to NGF...
- Rybakowski J, Borkowska A, Skibinska M, Szczepankiewicz A, Kapelski P, Leszczynska Rodziewicz A, et al. Prefrontal cognition in schizophrenia and bipolar illness in relation to Val66Met polymorphism of the brain-derived neurotrophic factor gene. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2006;60:70-6 pubmed..An association of this polymorphism with performance on the N-back test in schizophrenia and not in bipolar illness may suggest that in schizophrenia, the BDNF system may be connected with early phases of information processing. ..
- Pandey G, Rizavi H, Dwivedi Y, Pavuluri M. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor gene expression in pediatric bipolar disorder: effects of treatment and clinical response. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2008;47:1077-85 pubmed publisher..These studies suggest that BDNF levels may be a potential biomarker for PBD. BDNF levels may also serve as a potential treatment predictor and prognostic indicator in PBD. ..
- Garzon D, Yu G, Fahnestock M. A new brain-derived neurotrophic factor transcript and decrease in brain-derived neurotrophic factor transcripts 1, 2 and 3 in Alzheimer's disease parietal cortex. J Neurochem. 2002;82:1058-64 pubmed..This could lead to specific down-regulation of the brain-derived neurotrophic factor transcripts shown here. ..