Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: aromatase
Description: cytochrome P450, family 19, subfamily A, polypeptide 1
Alias: ARO, ARO1, CPV1, CYAR, CYP19, CYPXIX, P-450AROM, aromatase, cytochrome P-450AROM, cytochrome P450 19A1, cytochrome P450, subfamily XIX (aromatization of androgens), estrogen synthase, estrogen synthetase, flavoprotein-linked monooxygenase, microsomal monooxygenase
Publications241 found, 100 shown here
- Characterisation of aromatase expression in the human adipocyte cell line SGBSKerry J McInnes
Prince Henry s Institute of Medical Research, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Breast Cancer Res Treat 112:429-35. 2008b>Aromatase is a member of the cytochrome P450 superfamily of enzymes which catalyses the rate-limiting step in the biosynthesis of estrogens...
- Genetic variation at the CYP19A1 locus predicts circulating estrogen levels but not breast cancer risk in postmenopausal womenChristopher A Haiman
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, 1441 Eastlake Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Cancer Res 67:1893-7. 2007The CYP19A1 gene encodes the enzyme aromatase, which is responsible for the final step in the biosynthesis of estrogens...
- Association of two common single-nucleotide polymorphisms in the CYP19A1 locus and ovarian cancer riskMarc T Goodman
Cancer Epidemiology Program, Cancer Research Center of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Endocr Relat Cancer 15:1055-60. 2008..The production of estrogen involves the conversion of androgens via P450 aromatase, encoded by the CYP19A1 gene...
- Single nucleotide polymorphisms of the aromatase gene (CYP19A1), HER2/neu status, and prognosis in breast cancer patientsPeter Andreas Fasching
University Breast Center for Franconia, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Erlangen University Hospital, Erlangen, Germany
Breast Cancer Res Treat 112:89-98. 2008..b>Aromatase is involved in the production of estrogens, and altered expression of it might be associated with the prognosis...
- Polymorphisms in genes of the steroid hormone biosynthesis and metabolism pathways and endometrial cancer riskKatie A Ashton
Discipline of Medical Genetics, School of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Health, University of Newcastle, Australia
Cancer Epidemiol 34:328-37. 2010..The environmental and reproductive risk factors that influence these hormones are well known, however, genetic variants involved in hormone biosynthesis and estrogen metabolism have not been well established in endometrial cancer...
- Breast cancer: a candidate gene approach across the estrogen metabolic pathwayChristina Justenhoven
Molecular Mechanisms of Origin and Treatment of Breast Cancer, Dr Margarete Fischer Bosch Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, Auerbachstrasse 112, Stuttgart, Germany
Breast Cancer Res Treat 108:137-49. 2008..The tested polymorphisms of the estrogen metabolic pathway may not play a direct role in breast cancer risk. Therefore, future association studies should be extended to other polymorphisms and other regulatory pathways...
- Association study of aromatase gene (CYP19A1) in essential hypertensionMasanori Shimodaira
MD Program, Nihon University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Int J Med Sci 5:29-35. 2008As aromatase-deficient mice, which are deficient in estrogens, reportedly have reduced blood pressure, the aromatase gene (CYP19A1) is thought to be a susceptibility gene for essential hypertension (EH)...
- Quantitative analysis of aromatase, sulfatase and 17beta-HSD(1) mRNA expression in soft tissue metastases of breast cancerNatsumi Irahara
Department of Breast and Endocrine Surgery, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita Shi, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Cancer Lett 243:23-31. 2006Expression of the estrogen-synthesizing genes aromatase, steroid sulfatase (STS) and 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type1 (17beta-HSD(1)) has been shown to be up-regulated in primary breast cancer tissue but their expression status ..
- Association between CYP19 polymorphisms and breast cancer risk: results from 10,592 cases and 11,720 controlsXiangyu Ma
Department of Epidemiology, Faculty of Preventive Medicine, Third Military Medical University, Gaotanyan Street 30, Chongqing, 400038, China
Breast Cancer Res Treat 122:495-501. 2010The association of CYP19 gene polymorphisms with breast cancer has been widely reported, but results of previous studies were somewhat contradictory and underpowered...
- Common genetic variation in the sex hormone metabolic pathway and endometrial cancer risk: pathway-based evaluation of candidate genesHannah P Yang
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20852, USA
Carcinogenesis 31:827-33. 2010..Associations with variants in other genes have been suggested, but findings have been inconsistent...
- Dietary isoflavone intake, polymorphisms in the CYP17, CYP19, 17beta-HSD1, and SHBG genes, and risk of breast cancer in case-control studies in Japanese, Japanese Brazilians, and non-Japanese BraziliansMotoki Iwasaki
Epidemiology and Prevention Division, Research Center for Cancer Prevention and Screening, National Cancer Center, Tokyo 104 0045, Japan
Nutr Cancer 62:466-75. 2010We tested the hypothesis that polymorphisms in cytochrome P450c17alpha (CYP17), aromatase (CYP19), 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type I (17beta-HSD1) and sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) genes may modify the association between ..
- Tissue-specific regulation of aromatase promoter II by the orphan nuclear receptor LRH-1 in breast adipose stromal fibroblastsAshwini L Chand
Prince Henry s Institute, Monash Medical Centre, 246 Clayton Road, Clayton, Melbourne, VIC 3168, Australia
Steroids 76:741-4. 2011In postmenopausal breast cancers, the increase in aromatase expression observed in tumour associated adipose stromal cells is mediated via the upregulation of promoter II (PII) transcription...
- Association of CYP17, CYP19, CYP1B1, and COMT polymorphisms with serum and urinary sex hormone concentrations in postmenopausal womenShelley S Tworoger
The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Cancer Prevention Research Program, Seattle, Washington, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 13:94-101. 2004..may influence sex hormone concentrations have been identified, including CYP17 (5'-untranslated region T-->C), CYP19 [intron 4 (TTTA)(n = 7-13) and a 3-bp deletion (-3)], CYP1B1 (Val(432)Leu), and COMT (Val(108/158)Met)...
- Follicle-stimulating hormone/cAMP regulation of aromatase gene expression requires beta-cateninTehnaz N Parakh
School of Molecular Biosciences, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:12435-40. 2006..of estradiol in women are controlled by follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), which regulates transcription of the aromatase gene (CYP19A1) in ovarian granulosa cells...
- Organization of the human aromatase p450 (CYP19) geneSerdar E Bulun
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Semin Reprod Med 22:5-9. 2004..in general, including adipose tissue of the disease-free breast, on the other hand, maintains low levels of aromatase expression primarily via promoter I.4, which lies 73 kb upstream of the common coding region. Promoters I...
- Two estrogen-related variants in CYP19A1 and endometrial cancer risk: a pooled analysis in the Epidemiology of Endometrial Cancer ConsortiumVeronica Wendy Setiawan
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18:242-7. 2009..Our study provides evidence that CYP19A1 genetic variation influences susceptibility to endometrial cancer, particularly among older and obese women...
- Association of genetic polymorphisms of ER-alpha and the estradiol-synthesizing enzyme genes CYP17 and CYP19 with breast cancer risk in Chinese womenLina Zhang
Departments of Breast Oncology Surgery, Tianjin Medical University Cancer Institute and Hospital, Tianjin, PR China
Breast Cancer Res Treat 114:327-38. 2009..regulatory regions of ER-alpha (rs3798577) and other two estrogen-metabolizing enzyme genes CYP17 (rs743572) and CYP19 (rs10046) among 300 breast cancer cases and 390 controls in a Chinese population...
- EP2 and EP4 receptors regulate aromatase expression in human adipocytes and breast cancer cells. Evidence of a BRCA1 and p300 exchangeKotha Subbaramaiah
Department of Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York 10065, USA
J Biol Chem 283:3433-44. 2008Cytochrome P450 aromatase (aromatase), a product of the CYP19 gene, catalyzes the synthesis of estrogens from androgens...
- Multilocus analyses reveal involvement of the ESR1, ESR2, and FSHR genes in migraineAgustin Oterino
University Hospital Marqués de Valdecilla Neurology, Santander, Spain
Headache 48:1438-50. 2008..Research in this field has been controversial, especially in regard to ESR1 gene findings. None of the reports have yet to approach the problem from a multigenic point of view...
- Association of genetic polymorphisms in CYP19A1 and blood levels of sex hormones among postmenopausal Chinese womenHui Cai
Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt Epidemiology Center, Vanderbilt University Medical Center and Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center, Nashville, TN 37203 1738, USA
Pharmacogenet Genomics 18:657-64. 2008..We investigated the associations of genetic polymorphisms in CYP19A1, a critical gene involved in estrogen synthesis, with plasma levels of sex hormones among postmenopausal Chinese women...
- Rapid estradiol/ERalpha signaling enhances aromatase enzymatic activity in breast cancer cellsStefania Catalano
Department of Pharmaco Biology, University of Calabria, Arcavacata di Rende CS 87030, Italy
Mol Endocrinol 23:1634-45. 2009In situ estrogen production by aromatase conversion from androgens plays an important role in breast tumor promotion...
- Higher order organization of human placental aromataseDebashis Ghosh
Department of Pharmacology, State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
Steroids 76:753-8. 2011b>Aromatase (CYP19A1) is an integral membrane enzyme that catalyzes the removal of the 19-methyl group and aromatization of the A-ring of androgens...
- Associations between common variation in the aromatase gene promoter region and testosterone concentrations in two young female populationsClive J Petry
Department of Paediatrics, University of Cambridge, UK
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 98:199-206. 2006We recently reported association between a coding-region single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP50) in the aromatase gene that encodes a key enzyme in testosterone metabolism, with risk for the development of precocious pubarche and ..
- The association between genetic polymorphisms in CYP19 and breast cancer risk in Korean womenJi Young Kim
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology BK21 project, School of Medicine, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea
Oncol Rep 22:487-92. 2009b>Aromatase encoding by the CYP19 gene catalyzes the conversion of androgens to estrogens...
- WT1 and DAX-1 inhibit aromatase P450 expression in human endometrial and endometriotic stromal cellsBilgin Gurates
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:4369-77. 2002..SF-1) induces the expression of Müllerian inhibiting substance (MIS) and many steroidogenic genes, including aromatase P450 (P450arom)...
- Organization of cytochrome P450 enzymes involved in sex steroid synthesis: PROTEIN-PROTEIN INTERACTIONS IN LIPID MEMBRANESSlavica Praporski
School of Chemistry, Monash University, Clayton, 3800 Victoria, Australia
J Biol Chem 284:33224-32. 2009..type steroidogenic cytochrome P450 (P450, CYP) enzymes: 17alpha-hydroxylase/17,20-lyase (P450c17, CYP17) and aromatase (P450arom, CYP19), as well as their electron donor NADPH-cytochrome P450 oxidoreductase (CPR)...
- Identification of an aromatase haplotype that is associated with gene expression and postmenopausal osteoporosisJose A Riancho
Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital U M Valdecilla, University of Cantabria, 39008 Santander, Spain
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:660-5. 2007Osteoporosis has a significant genetic component. The aromatase-dependent conversion of androgenic precursors is the main source of estrogens in postmenopausal women.
- A common polymorphism in the human aromatase gene alters the risk for polycystic ovary syndrome and modifies aromatase activity in vitroHui Wang
Shaanxi Maternal and Child Care Service Center, Xi an, People s Republic of China
Mol Hum Reprod 17:386-91. 2011b>Aromatase is a key enzyme involved in estradiol and estrone biosynthesis...
- A polymorphism at the 3'-UTR region of the aromatase gene defines a subgroup of postmenopausal breast cancer patients with poor response to neoadjuvant letrozoleZaida Garcia-Casado
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Fundacion Instituto Valenciano de Oncologia, Valencia, Spain
BMC Cancer 10:36. 2010b>Aromatase (CYP19A1) regulates estrogen biosynthesis. Polymorphisms in CYP19A1 have been related to the pathogenesis of breast cancer (BC)...
- Polymorphisms in estrogen related genes may modify the protective effect of isoflavones against prostate cancer risk in Japanese menTomoko Sonoda
Department of Public Health, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, Hokkaido, Japan
Eur J Cancer Prev 19:131-7. 2010..This study examined whether the genetic polymorphisms of estrogen receptors (ESR-alpha and ESR-beta) and cytochrome P450 19A1 (CYP19A1) modified the protective effect of isoflavones against prostate cancer...
- Cytochrome P450 aromatase gene (CYP19) expression in gastric cancerMasao Izawa
Division of Biosignaling, Department of Biomedical Science, School of Life Science, Faculty of Medicine, Tottori University, 86 Nishi Machi, Yonago 683 8503, Japan
Gastric Cancer 11:103-10. 2008..In the present study, we examined aromatase expression in gastric carcinoma.
- Aromatase deficiency in male and female siblings caused by a novel mutation and the physiological role of estrogensA Morishima
Department of Pediatrics, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 80:3689-98. 1995The aromatase enzyme complex catalyzes the conversion of androgens to estrogens in a wide variety of tissues, including the ovary, testis, placenta, brain, and adipose tissue...
- Leptin enhances, via AP-1, expression of aromatase in the MCF-7 cell lineStefania Catalano
Centro Sanitario and the Department of PharmacoBiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Calabria, 87030 Arcavacata di Rende, Italy
J Biol Chem 278:28668-76. 2003..risk factor particularly in postmenopausal women, where estrogen production by adipose tissue through its own aromatase activity stimulates tumor progression...
- Alternative 5'-untranslated first exons of the mouse Cyp19A1 (aromatase) geneJenny D Y Chow
Prince Henry s Institute, Clayton, VIC 3168, Australia
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 115:115-25. 2009The human aromatase gene (CYP19A1) has eleven tissue-specific untranslated first exons, while only three have been described in the mouse Cyp19A1 namely brain-, ovary- and testis-specific exons 1...
- Structural basis for androgen specificity and oestrogen synthesis in human aromataseDebashis Ghosh
Structural Biology, Hauptman Woodward Medical Research Institute, 700 Ellicott Street, Buffalo, New York 14203, USA
Nature 457:219-23. 2009b>Aromatase cytochrome P450 is the only enzyme in vertebrates known to catalyse the biosynthesis of all oestrogens from androgens. Aromatase inhibitors therefore constitute a frontline therapy for oestrogen-dependent breast cancer...
- Calbindin 1, fibroblast growth factor 20, and alpha-synuclein in sporadic Parkinson's diseaseIkuko Mizuta
Division of Clinical Genetics, Department of Medical Genetics, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 2 B9 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka, 565 0871, Japan
Hum Genet 124:89-94. 2008..Our genetic analysis suggests that CALB1 is associated with PD independently of SNCA, and that FGF20 is associated with PD synergistically with SNCA...
- Estrogen-metabolizing gene polymorphisms in the assessment of breast carcinoma risk and fibroadenoma risk in Caucasian womenLukas A Hefler
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Medical University Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Cancer 101:264-9. 2004..In these candidate genes, no critical combination of single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) for assessing breast carcinoma risk has been reported to date...
- Polymorphisms associated with circulating sex hormone levels in postmenopausal womenAlison M Dunning
Cancer Research UK, Department of Oncology, University of Cambridge, Strangeways Research Laboratory, Cambridge, UK
J Natl Cancer Inst 96:936-45. 2004..We investigated the association between levels of sex hormones and single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in genes coding for the enzymes that regulate them...
- Structural analysis of the gene encoding human aromatase cytochrome P-450, the enzyme responsible for estrogen biosynthesisG D Means
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Cecil H and Ida Green Center for Reproductive Biology Sciences, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 9051
J Biol Chem 264:19385-91. 1989The structural gene encoding aromatase cytochrome P-450 (P-450AROM) was isolated from human genomic DNA. The gene spans at least 52 kilobases and is composed of 10 exons, the first of which is untranslated...
- A polymorphic CYP19 TTTA repeat influences aromatase activity and estrogen levels in elderly men: effects on bone metabolismLuigi Gennari
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Florence, 50139 Florence, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:2803-10. 2004..plays a dominant role in determining bone mineral density (BMD) in men, and inactivating mutations in the aromatase CYP19 gene have been associated with low bone mass in young males...
- Association of aromatase (CYP 19) gene variation with features of hyperandrogenism in two populations of young womenC J Petry
Department of Paediatrics, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 2QQ, UK
Hum Reprod 20:1837-43. 2005b>Aromatase catalyses the conversion of androgens to estrogens and thus variation in the aromatase gene could contribute to female syndromes of androgen excess, such as precocious pubarche (PP) and polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).
- CYP19 (TTTA)n polymorphism and breast cancer risk in Brazilian womenFabiana Siqueira Ribeiro
Departamento de Bioquimica, Instituto de Biologia Roberto Alcantara Gomes, Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Av 28 de Setembro, 87 Fundos, 4 andar, Rio de Janeiro, RJ 20551 013, Brazil
Toxicol Lett 164:90-5. 2006..The CYP19 gene encodes the enzyme aromatase, which catalyzes the conversion of androgens into estrogens...
- Variation in estrogen-related genes and cross-sectional and longitudinal blood pressure in the Framingham Heart StudyInga Peter
Biostatistics Research Center, Institute for Clinical Research and Health Policy Studies, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA
J Hypertens 23:2193-200. 2005..To examine the association between variation in estrogen-related genes and cross-sectional and longitudinal blood pressure in men and women...
- Polymorphisms of estrogen-biosynthesis genes CYP17 and CYP19 may influence age at menarche: a genetic association study in Caucasian femalesYan Guo
Key Laboratory of Biomedical Information Engineering, Ministry of Education and Institute of Molecular Genetics, School of Life Science and Technology, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an 710049, People s Republic of China
Hum Mol Genet 15:2401-8. 2006..Our study aimed to identify whether the CYP17 and CYP19, the two key genes involved in the biosynthesis of estrogen, are associated with AAM variation in 1048 females ..
- Quantitative analysis of aromatase mRNA expression derived from various promoters (I.4, I.3, PII and I.7) and its association with expression of TNF-alpha, IL-6 and COX-2 mRNAs in human breast cancerNatsumi Irahara
Department of Surgical Oncology, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita Shi, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Int J Cancer 118:1915-21. 2006The purpose of the present study was to study the aromatase mRNA expression as well as promoter usage (I.4, I.3, PII and I...
- WT1 and DAX-1 regulate SF-1-mediated human P450arom gene expression in gonadal cellsBilgin Gurates
Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, University of Illinois at Chicago, 820 S Wood Street, M C 808, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 208:61-75. 2003..b>Aromatase P450 (P450arom) is the rate-limiting enzyme for estrogen formation...
- Polymorphisms in steroid hormone pathway genes and mammographic densityChristopher A Haiman
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health Boston, MA, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 77:27-36. 2003..to investigate variation in mammographic breast density, by 10 polymorphisms in eight candidate genes (CYP17, CYP19, CYP1A1, CYP1B1, COMT, UGT1A1, AR, and AIB1). Breast density was assessed using a computer-assisted technique...
- CYP1B1 and CYP19 gene polymorphisms and breast cancer incidence: no association in the ARIC studyBharat Thyagarajan
School of Public Health, Division of Epidemiology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
Cancer Lett 207:183-9. 2004..breast cancer and Val432Leu polymorphism in the CYP1B1 gene and the tetranucleotide repeats in intron 4 of the CYP19 gene...
- The CYP19 gene and associations with androgens and abdominal obesity in premenopausal womenFariba Baghaei
The Cardiovascular Institute, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Obes Res 11:578-85. 2003..androgens in women are associated with type 2 diabetes and are dependent on the conversion to estrogens by aromatase cytochrome P450...
- A comprehensive haplotype analysis of CYP19 and breast cancer risk: the Multiethnic CohortChristopher A Haiman
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, 1441 Eastlake Ave, Rm 4441, Los Angeles, CA 90089 9175, USA
Hum Mol Genet 12:2679-92. 2003The CYP19 gene encodes for aromatase (P450arom), a key steroidogenic enzyme that catalyzes the final step of estrogen biosynthesis...
- No evidence of mutations in the P450 aromatase gene in patients with polycystic ovary syndromeD Soderlund
Research Unit in Developmental Biology, Hospital de Pediatria, Centro Medico Nacional Siglo XXI, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Mexico, D F 06703, Mexico
Hum Reprod 20:965-9. 2005..Granulosa cells from follicles of women with PCOS have little, if any, aromatase (encoded by the CYP19 gene) activity; follicles contain low levels of estradiol, P450arom mRNA and aromatase ..
- The role of aromatase and 17-beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 mRNA expression in predicting the clinical outcome of human breast cancerM Salhab
St George s Hospital, Blackshaw Road, London, Tooting, UK
Breast Cancer Res Treat 99:155-62. 2006..The cytochrome P-450 aromatase enzyme complex is responsible for the conversion of C19 androgens to estrogens and 17-beta-hydroxysteroid ..
- Regulation of breast cancer-associated aromatase promotersDong Chen
Division of Reproductive Biology Research, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Northwestern University, 303 E Superior Street, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Cancer Lett 273:15-27. 2009By converting androstenedione to estrone, or testosterone to estradiol, aromatase is a key enzyme in estrogen biosynthesis...
- Variation in estrogen-related genes associated with cardiovascular phenotypes and circulating estradiol, testosterone, and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate levelsInga Peter
Tufts Medical Center, 800 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:2779-85. 2008..associations between variations in genes encoding estrogen receptors alpha (ESR1) and beta (ESR2), and enzyme aromatase (CYP19A1), which regulates the estrogen to testosterone ratio, and cardiovascular phenotypes in the Framingham ..
- A single-nucleotide polymorphism in the aromatase gene is associated with the efficacy of the aromatase inhibitor letrozole in advanced breast carcinomaRamon Colomer
M D Anderson Cancer Center España, Madrid, Spain
Clin Cancer Res 14:811-6. 2008To evaluate the efficacy of treatment with the aromatase inhibitor letrozole in breast cancer patients segregated with respect to DNA polymorphisms of the aromatase gene CYP19...
- Haplotype analyses of CYP19A1 gene variants and breast cancer risk: results from the Shanghai Breast Cancer StudyQiuyin Cai
Vanderbilt Epidemiology Center, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, B 2104 Medical Center North, 1161 21st Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37232 2400, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:27-32. 2008Estrogens play a central role in the etiology of breast cancer. The CYP19A1 gene encodes aromatase, a key enzyme in the biosynthesis of estrogens...
- Sex and body mass index specific regulation of blood pressure by CYP19A1 gene variantsReposo Ramirez-Lorca
Departamento de Genomica Estructural, Neocodex, Parque Tecnológico Isla de la Cartuja, Sevilla, Spain
Hypertension 50:884-90. 2007..A key enzyme in determining estrogen levels is aromatase cytochrome P450...
- A multigenic study on breast cancer risk associated with genetic polymorphisms of ER Alpha, COMT and CYP19 gene in BRCA1/BRCA2 negative Shanghai women with early onset breast cancer or affected relativesZhen Hu
Breast Cancer Institute, Cancer Hospital, Department of Oncology, Shanghai Medical College, Institutes of Biomedical Sciences, Fudan University, Shanghai 200032, China
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 133:969-78. 2007..The genotypes of estrogen receptor alpha (ERalpha), aromatase (CYP19), and catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) genes were analyzed by direct DNA-sequencing...
- Herbicide atrazine activates SF-1 by direct affinity and concomitant co-activators recruitments to induce aromatase expression via promoter IIWuQiang Fan
Department of Medicine and Bioregulatory Science, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyushu University, Maidashi 3 1 1, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 355:1012-8. 2007..We recently reported that atrazine induces human aromatase gene expression via promoter II (ArPII) in a steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1)-dependent manner...
- Genetic polymorphisms of the CYP19A1 gene and breast cancer survivalJi Rong Long
Department of Medicine, Center for Epidemiologic Research, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2587, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15:2115-22. 2006The CYP19A1 protein (aromatase) plays a critical role in estrogen biosynthesis and thus may be related to the progression of breast cancer...
- 5Alpha-reductase type 1 and aromatase in breast carcinoma as regulators of in situ androgen productionTakashi Suzuki
Department of Pathology, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Int J Cancer 120:285-91. 2007..was positively associated with 5alpha-reductase type 1 (5alphaRed1), and negatively correlated with aromatase. We then examined clinical significance of AR and 5alphaRed1 status in 115 breast carcinoma tissues by ..
- A comprehensive examination of CYP19 variation and risk of breast cancer using two haplotype-tagging approachesJanet E Olson
Department of Health Sciences Research, Division of Epidemiology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55901, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 102:237-47. 2007..Androgens are converted to estrogens by the aromatase enzyme, which is encoded by the CYP19 gene...
- Expression of aromatase and 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase types 1, 7 and 12 in breast cancer. An immunocytochemical studyD Song
First Teaching Hospital of Jilin University, Changchun, China
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 101:136-44. 2006..The steroidogenic enzymes involved in E2 formation are aromatase which transforms testosterone into E2 and androstenedione into estrone (E1) and reductive 17beta-hydroxysteroid ..
- Associations among mammographic density, circulating sex hormones, and polymorphisms in sex hormone metabolism genes in postmenopausal womenRuth Warren
Department of Radiology, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15:1502-8. 2006..globulin (SHBG), androstenedione, 17-OH-progesterone, estrone, and estrone sulfate] and 15 SNPs in the CYP17, CYP19, EDH17B2, SHBG, COMT, and CYP1B1 genes were studied...
- CYP19 haplotypes increase risk for Alzheimer's diseaseR Huang
J Med Genet 43:e42. 2006Cytochrome P450 aromatase, an enzyme that catalyses the conversion of androgens to oestrogen, is expressed at high levels in the gonads and in the brain...
- Sex steroids and leptin regulate 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase I and P450 aromatase expressions in human preadipocytes: Sex specificitiesMarie Noelle Dieudonne
Service de Biochimie et de Biologie Moléculaire, UPRES EA 2493, Faculte de Medecine Paris Ile de France Ouest, Universite Versailles St Quentin, Centre Hospitalier de Poissy, 78303 Poissy Cedex, France
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 99:189-96. 2006..dehydrogenase (HSD1), the enzyme responsible for the conversion of cortisone into cortisol and the P450 aromatase, the enzyme catalysing androgens aromatization into estrogens, are both expressed in human adipose tissue...
- Farnesoid X receptor, through the binding with steroidogenic factor 1-responsive element, inhibits aromatase expression in tumor Leydig cellsStefania Catalano
Department of Pharmaco Biology, University of Calabria, 87030 Arcavacata di Rende Cs, Italy
J Biol Chem 285:5581-93. 2010..Recently, FXR was identified as a negative modulator of the androgen-estrogen-converting aromatase enzyme in human breast cancer cells...
- The alternative noncoding exons 1 of aromatase (Cyp19) gene modulate gene expression in a posttranscriptional mannerHanzhou Wang
Department of Molecular Medicine, Institute of Biotechnology, 15355 Lambda Drive, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas 78245, USA
Endocrinology 150:3301-7. 2009b>Aromatase (Cyp19) is a key enzyme in estrogen biosynthesis and an important target in endocrine therapy for estrogen receptor (ER)-positive postmenopausal breast cancer...
- Polymorphic variation in CYP19 and the risk of breast cancerS W Baxter
VBCRC Cancer Genetics Laboratory, Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute, Locked Bag No 1 A Beckett St, Victoria 8006, Australia
Carcinogenesis 22:347-9. 2001The production of estrogen from androgen via the estrogen biosynthesis pathway is catalyzed by aromatase P450 (cyp19)...
- Testosterone attenuates expression of vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 by conversion to estradiol by aromatase in endothelial cells: implications in atherosclerosisTapan K Mukherjee
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of California Los Angeles School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1740, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:4055-60. 2002..whether testosterone inhibited TNFalpha-induced VCAM-1 expression via its conversion to estradiol by the enzyme aromatase in human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVEC)...
- In situ levels of oestrogen producing enzymes and its prognostic significance in postmenopausal breast cancer patientsBarbara E Licznerska
Institution of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Division of Cell Biology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
Breast Cancer Res Treat 112:15-23. 2008....
- Tissue-specific and hormonally controlled alternative promoters regulate aromatase cytochrome P450 gene expression in human adipose tissueM S Mahendroo
Cecil H and Ida Green Center for Reproductive Biology Sciences, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235
J Biol Chem 268:19463-70. 1993Estrogen biosynthesis is catalyzed by a microsomal enzyme, aromatase cytochrome P450 (P450arom; the product of the CYP19 gene). The human CYP19 gene comprises nine coding exons, II-X...
- Tissue-specific promoters regulate aromatase cytochrome P450 gene expression in human ovary and fetal tissuesG D Means
Cecil H and Ida Green Center for Reproductive Biological Sciences, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 9051
Mol Endocrinol 5:2005-13. 1991The formation of estrogens from C19 steroids is catalyzed by a specific form of cytochrome P450, aromatase cytochrome P450 (P450AROM; the product of the CYP19 gene)...
- Novel exon 1 of the aromatase gene specific for aromatase transcripts in human brainS Honda
Division of Molecular Genetics, Fujita Health University, Aichi, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 198:1153-60. 1994b>Aromatase in the brain is supposed to participate in sexual differentiation of the brain...
- Liver receptor homologue-1 (LRH-1) regulates expression of aromatase in preadipocytesColin D Clyne
Prince Henry s Institute of Medical Research, 246 Clayton Road, Clayton VIC 3168, Australia
J Biol Chem 277:20591-7. 2002Estrogen biosynthesis from C(19) steroids is catalyzed by aromatase cytochrome P450. Aromatase is expressed in breast adipose tissue through the use of a distal, cytokine-responsive promoter (promoter I.4)...
- Molecular basis of aromatase deficiency in an adult female with sexual infantilism and polycystic ovariesY Ito
Cecil H and Ida Green Center for Reproductive Biology Sciences, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90:11673-7. 1993We identified two mutations in the CYP19 gene responsible for aromatase deficiency in an 18-year-old 46,XX female with ambiguous external genitalia at birth, primary amenorrhea and sexual infantilism, and polycystic ovaries...
- Positive and negative transcriptional regulation of aromatase expression in human breast cancer tissueShiuan Chen
Department of Surgical Research, Beckman Research Institute, City of Hope National Medical Center, Duarte, CA 91006, USA
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 95:17-23. 2005..3 and PII are the two major exon Is present in aromatase mRNAs isolated from breast tumors. These results suggest that promoters I...
- Human aromatase: cDNA cloning, Southern blot analysis, and assignment of the gene to chromosome 15S A Chen
Division of Immunology, Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope, Duarte, CA 91010
DNA 7:27-38. 1988The amino acid sequence of human placental aromatase was determined in part (about 40%) by microsequencing methods...
- Tissue-specific expression of human P-450AROM. The promoter responsible for expression in adipose tissue is different from that utilized in placentaM S Mahendroo
Cecil H and Ida Green Center for Reproductive Biology Sciences, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 9051
J Biol Chem 266:11276-81. 1991The biosynthesis of estrogens from androgens is catalyzed by a enzyme of the endoplasmic reticulum termed aromatase cytochrome P-450 (P-450AROM)...
- Aromatase deficiency in a female who is compound heterozygote for two new point mutations in the P450arom gene: impact of estrogens on hypergonadotropic hypogonadism, multicystic ovaries, and bone densitometry in childhoodP E Mullis
Division of Paediatric Endocrinology, University Children s Hospital, Bern, Switzerland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:1739-45. 1997..This mutation ignores the splice site and a stop codon 3 bp downstream occurs. Aromatase deficiency was already suspected because of the marked virilization occurring prepartum in the mother, and the ..
- Endocrine treatment of advanced breast cancerM Dowsett
Royal Marsden Hospital, London, England
Acta Oncol 35:68-72. 1996..New antioestrogens with reduced or no agonist activity, and potent, more specific, aromatase inhibitors are now reaching the clinic...
- Microsomal aromatase in testicular tumour tissue: increased activity in choriocarcinoma compared to embryonal carcinomaH Templ
, Wien, Austria
Horm Metab Res 20:522-4. 1988Microsomal aromatase activity was assayed in testicular tumour tissue from one patient with choriocarcinoma and two patients with embryonal carcinoma...
- Endocrine, paracrine and autocrine control of follicular developmentP Franchimont
Radioimmunoassay Laboratory, , Belgium
Horm Metab Res 20:193-203. 1988..results from the action of several endocrine, paracrine and autocrine mechanisms which synergistically inhibit aromatase activity. The subsequent lack of estrogens reduces granulosa cell multiplication...
- Formestane as treatment of advanced breast cancer in elderly womenN Zilembo
Medical Oncology Division B, Istituto Nazionale per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori, Milan, Italy
Tumori 80:433-7. 1994..was to evaluate the endocrinologic and clinical activity of formestane (4-hydroxyandrostenedione), a selective aromatase inhibitor, in elderly patients with advanced breast cancer...
- Theoretical investigations on the role of steroid-skeleton C4 = C5 unsaturation in competitive aromatase inhibitionM Bohl
Akademie der Wissenschaften der DDR, , Jena
Z Naturforsch C 44:217-25. 1989..to give indications about the role of the C4 = C5 double bond in competitive inhibition of human placental aromatase and about sterical requirements in steroid-aromatase interactions...
- Proper sequence of endocrine therapies in advanced breast cancerC Rose
Department of Oncology R, Odense University Hospital
Acta Oncol 35:44-9. 1996..New selective aromatase inhibitors (AI) are now in clinical use. The first commercially available of these inhibitors is LENTARON...
- The influence of CGS 16949A on peripheral aromatisation in breast cancer patientsP E Lønning
Department of Medicine, Royal Marsden Hospital, Surrey, UK
Br J Cancer 63:789-93. 1991The influence of a new aromatase inhibitor, CGS 16949A on peripheral aromatisation of androstenedione into oestrone was investigated in postmenopausal women with breast cancer...
- New endocrine drugs for treatment of advanced breast cancerP E Lønning
Department of Medicine, Royal Marsden Hospital, Sutton, England
Acta Oncol 29:379-86. 1990Current status of endocrine treatment for breast cancer is reviewed. Several new aromatase inhibitors as well as antiestrogens are being introduced for clinical trials...
- RU-486 inhibits rat gonadal steroidogenesisP E Sanchez
Developmental Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, Maryland
Horm Metab Res 21:369-71. 1989..Testicular 17-hydroxylase and aromatase activity decreased in RU-486 treated animals whereas 17,20-desmolase, 3 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase and 17-..
- Novel non-steroidal aromatase inhibitors: are there new perspectives in the treatment of breast cancer?E Bajetta
Division of Medical Oncology B, Istituto Nazionale per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori, Milan, Italy
Tumori 82:417-22. 1996..The clinical results obtained with aminoglutethimide, and later with formestane, have established aromatase inhibition as one of the major therapeutic options in hormone-dependent advanced disease...
- Letrozole (CGS 20267), a new oral aromatase inhibitor for the treatment of advanced breast cancer in postmenopausal patientsP F Trunet
Department of Research, Pharmaceuticals Division, Ciba-Geigy Limited, Basel, Switzerland
Acta Oncol 35:15-8. 1996Letrozole is a new orally, active, potent, and highly specific non-steroidal aromatase inhibitor. Letrozole is about 200 and 10000 times as potent as aminoglutethimide (AG) in vitro and in vivo, respectively...
- Novel endocrine therapies in breast cancerJ G Klijn
Department of Medical Oncology, Rotterdam Cancer Institute, Dr Daniel den Hoed Kliniek, The Netherlands
Acta Oncol 35:30-7. 1996..in the endocrine therapy of breast cancer are application of new antiestrogens, antiprogestins, new potent aromatase inhibitors, analogues of luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone (LHRH-A) and somatostatin, inhibitors of ..
- Aromatase (Cyp19) expression is up-regulated by targeted disruption of Dax1Z J Wang
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Molecular Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:7988-93. 2001..Expression of the aromatase (Cyp19) gene, which encodes the enzyme that converts testosterone to estradiol, was increased significantly in ..
- Aromatase inhibition for breast cancer treatmentP E Lønning
Department of Oncology, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway
Acta Oncol 35:38-43. 1996While the first generation aromatase inhibitor aminoglutethimide and second- and third generation inhibitors like formestane and fadrozole all have been found to inhibit in vivo aromatization by 85-93%, the novel aromatase inhibitors ..
- Clinical efficacy of the aromatase inhibitor anastrozole in relation to prolactin secretion in heavily pretreated metastatic breast cancerS Barni
Division of Oncological Radiotherapy, Ospedale S. Gerardo, Monza (Milan, Italy
Tumori 84:45-7. 1998AIMS AND BACKGROUND: It is known that the aromatase inhibitors may act by decreasing estrogen levels. Moreover, it is known that estrogens may stimulate the release of prolactin (PRL), which is a growth factor for breast cancer...
- Aromatase inhibitors: past, present and futureG Seralini
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, EA2608, IBBA, University of Caen, Esplanade de la Paix, 14032 Cedex, Caen, France
Mol Cell Endocrinol 178:117-31. 2001..This ratio is controlled in vertebrates by aromatase; its gene expression can be inhibited in different ways, and this is crucial for the treatment of estrogen-..
- Anti-tumor effects of letrozoleW R Miller
Breast Unit Research Group, University of Edinburgh, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, EH4 2XU, UK
Cancer Invest 20:15-21. 2002..e., the conversion of androgens to estrogens by the aromatase enzyme. Recently, a new generation of aromatase inhibitors has been developed...
- Aromatase inhibitors for male infertilityJay D Raman
Department of Urology, James Buchanan Brady Urology Foundation, Center for Male Reproductive Medicine and Microsurgery, New York Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York, USA
J Urol 167:624-9. 2002Testosterone-to-estradiol ratio levels in infertile men improve during treatment with the aromatase inhibitor, testolactone, and resulting changes in semen parameters...
- Estrogen production and actionL R Nelson
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60612, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 45:S116-24. 2001..The enzyme aromatase is found in a number of human tissues and cells, including ovarian granulosa cells, the placental ..
- Where do selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMs) and aromatase inhibitors (AIs) now fit into breast cancer treatment algorithms?A Howell
CRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, M20 4BX, Manchester, UK
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 79:227-37. 2001..Whilst aminoglutethimide and 4-OH androstenedione were the aromatase inhibitors of choice, they have been replaced by non-steroidal (anastrozole and letrozole) and steroidal (..
- Int5/Aromatase Effect of Breast Estrogen in NeoplasiaRAJESHWAR TEKMAL; Fiscal Year: 2005A number of studies have shown that the levels of aromatase are higher in breast tumors compared to normal tissue, indicating that the in situ aromatase/breast estrogen may play a role in breast cancer...
- The new biology of estrogen action in aromatase resistance breast cancer cellsJoan Lewis Wambi; Fiscal Year: 2007..PA) and I am submitting a K01 application to study the new biology of estrogen and fulvestrant action in aromatase inhibitor resistant breast cancer cells...
- Flaxseed vs. aromatase inhibitors: breast tumor characteristics and prognosisSusan McCann; Fiscal Year: 2007..Used in postmenopausal women, aromatase inhibitors (AI) block the peripheral conversion of androgens to estrogen, effectively lowering the estradiol ..
- Endocrine resistance in breast cancerROBERT R CLARKE; Fiscal Year: 2010..of how cellular signaling to regulate cell fate is differentially affected by estrogens, antiestrogens, and aromatase inhibitors in sensitive and resistant breast cancers...
- AROMATASE AND BREAST CANCERShiuan Chen; Fiscal Year: 2004b>Aromatase converts androgen to estrogen. Aromatase is expressed at a higher level in breast cancer tissue than in benign tissue...
- Treatment effects on hormones in the breastRobert Chatterton; Fiscal Year: 2005..The effects of tamoxifen and aromatase inhibitors on estrogen-induced proteins cathepsin D and trefoil family factor-1 (TFF1) will be determined in ..
- Development of VN/14-1 and Related Analogs for Breast Cancer TherapyVINCENT COLLINS OFUKA NJAR; Fiscal Year: 2010..e., tumors that are resistant to mainstay breast cancer therapies such as tamoxifen and aromatase inhibitors) breast cancer xenograft models...
- RCT of exercise on aromatase inhibitor side effects in breast cancer survivorsMelinda L Irwin; Fiscal Year: 2010..the standard adjuvant hormonal therapy for women with early- stage, hormone receptor-positive breast cancer, the aromatase inhibitors (AI's) have rapidly supplanted tamoxifen as the hormonal therapy of choice...
- RCT of exercise on aromatase inhibitor side effects in breast cancer survivorsMelinda Irwin; Fiscal Year: 2009..the standard adjuvant hormonal therapy for women with early- stage, hormone receptor-positive breast cancer, the aromatase inhibitors (AI's) have rapidly supplanted tamoxifen as the hormonal therapy of choice...
- Aromatase Inhibitor in Males with Adrenal HyperplasiaKyriakie Sarafoglou; Fiscal Year: 2006..objective is to treat males who have congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH) and decreased spermatogenesis with an aromatase inhibitor in order to investigate its effects on hormonal parameters and spermatogenesis...
- Female Hormones and VisionAlvin Eisner; Fiscal Year: 2006..The clinical emphasis will be on 2 types of medications - selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMS) and aromatase inhibitors...
- A Novel Long-Lived 41Ca Marker To Assess Bone Turnover For Breast Cancer PatientsSusanta Hui; Fiscal Year: 2007..b>Aromatase inhibitor (AI) is very succesful as an adjuvant therapy in estrogen positive postmenopausal women to prevent ..
- AROMATASE INHIBITORS: SKELETAL EFFECTS AND THE ROLE OF CYP19 GENE POLYMORPHISMSReina Villareal; Fiscal Year: 2007..of estrogen receptor positive (ER+) breast cancer has recently been challenged by a newer class drugs, the aromatase inhibitors, which are found to have superior efficacy over tamoxifen with better side-effect profile...
- Fractures, Heart Disease, and Stroke on Aromatase InhibitorsNancy L Keating; Fiscal Year: 2010..Recently, randomized controlled trials identifying substantial benefits of aromatase inhibitors for early- stage cancers have led to national recommendations that every postmenopausal woman with an ..
- PKC Alpha as a Marker for Logical Therapeutic Approaches to Breast CancerDebra Tonetti; Fiscal Year: 2009..In the past few years it was demonstrated that aromatase inhibitors are superior to TAM as adjuvant therapy in the postmenopausal patient population...
- GENETIC AND NEUROENDOCRINE CONTROL OF BEHAVIORAL SYSTEMSEMILIE RISSMAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, recent studies have linked the aromatase system to catecholamines, particularly dopamine, which is well known to play a role in male sexual motivation...
- Development and Testing of ERE-Targeting Molecules for Breast Cancer TherapyNeil Sidell; Fiscal Year: 2009..These treatments involve either direct ER binders (e.g. tamoxifen) or aromatase inhibitors that reduce mammary tissue estrogen levels (e.g. letrozole)...
- Development and Testing of ERE-Targeting Molecules for Breast Cancer TherapyNeil Sidell; Fiscal Year: 2010..These treatments involve either direct ER binders (e.g. tamoxifen) or aromatase inhibitors that reduce mammary tissue estrogen levels (e.g. letrozole)...
- CELLULAR MECHANISMS IN THE INDUCTION OF AROMATASECAROLE MENDELSON; Fiscal Year: 2009..Synthesis of estrogens from C19-steroids is catalyzed by aromatase P450 (product of the CYP19 gene)...
- Structure and Function of Integral Membrane Enzyme Human AromataseDebashis Ghosh; Fiscal Year: 2010Human cytochrome P450 aromatase (P450arom), an integral membrane hemeprotein of the endoplasmic reticulum, catalyzes the synthesis of estrogens from androgens in the presence of P450-reductase...