Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: apoA-I
Description: apolipoprotein A1
Alias: apo(a), apolipoprotein A-I, apo-AI
- Shao B, Pennathur S, Pagani I, Oda M, Witztum J, Oram J, et al. Modifying apolipoprotein A-I by malondialdehyde, but not by an array of other reactive carbonyls, blocks cholesterol efflux by the ABCA1 pathway. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:18473-84 pubmed publisher..Such damage may facilitate the formation of macrophage foam cells by impairing cholesterol efflux by the ABCA1 pathway...
- Ren X, Yang Y, Neville T, Hoyt D, Sparks D, Wang J. A complete backbone spectral assignment of human apolipoprotein AI on a 38 kDa prebetaHDL (Lp1-AI) particle. Biomol NMR Assign. 2007;1:69-71 pubmed publisher..Here we report a complete backbone assignment of human apoAI on a 38 kDa prebetaHDL (Lp1-AI) particle. ..
- Toptas B, Gormus U, Ergen A, Gurkan H, Keleşoğlu F, Darendeliler F, et al. Comparison of lipid profiles with APOA1 MspI polymorphism in obese children with hyperlipidemia. In Vivo. 2011;25:425-30 pubmed..Apolipoprotein AI (Apo AI) is the major structural component of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) and is involved in the esterification of ..
- Hamrita B, Ben Nasr H, Gabbouj S, Bouaouina N, Chouchane L, Chahed K. Apolipoprotein A1 -75 G/A and +83 C/T polymorphisms: susceptibility and prognostic implications in breast cancer. Mol Biol Rep. 2011;38:1637-43 pubmed publisher..02). This is the first report on the studies of ApoA1 single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in breast carcinomas. Our data suggest that these genetic variations of ApoA1 may represent a marker for the increased risk of breast cancer. ..
- Koutsis G, Panas M, Giogkaraki E, Karadima G, Sfagos C, Vassilopoulos D. An APOA1 promoter polymorphism is associated with cognitive performance in patients with multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler. 2009;15:174-9 pubmed publisher..036 and 0.018, respectively). We found an association of the APOA1 -75G/A promoter polymorphism with cognitive performance in MS. This effect was most prominent on semantic verbal fluency and the Stroop interference task. ..
- Yin R, Li Y, Lai C. Apolipoprotein A1/C3/A5 haplotypes and serum lipid levels. Lipids Health Dis. 2011;10:140 pubmed publisher..Several common SNPs and their haplotypes in the ApoA1/C3/A5 gene cluster are closely associated with modifications of serum lipid parameters in the general Chinese population. ..
- Denis M, Landry Y, Zha X. ATP-binding cassette A1-mediated lipidation of apolipoprotein A-I occurs at the plasma membrane and not in the endocytic compartments. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:16178-86 pubmed publisher..We therefore conclude that the plasma membrane is the main platform where ABCA1-mediated lipidation of apoA-I occurs...
- Nobecourt E, Tabet F, Lambert G, Puranik R, Bao S, Yan L, et al. Nonenzymatic glycation impairs the antiinflammatory properties of apolipoprotein A-I. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010;30:766-72 pubmed publisher..Nonenzymatic glycation impairs the antiinflammatory properties of apoA-I. ..
- Dawar R, Gurtoo A, Singh R. Apolipoprotein A1 gene polymorphism (G-75A and C+83T) in patients with myocardial infarction: a pilot study in a north Indian population. Am J Clin Pathol. 2010;134:249-55 pubmed publisher..G at -75 bp upstream from the start of transcription and T at +83 bp in the first intron may be susceptibility alleles for myocardial infarction. ..
- Lewis T, Cao D, Lu H, Mans R, Su Y, JUNGBAUER L, et al. Overexpression of human apolipoprotein A-I preserves cognitive function and attenuates neuroinflammation and cerebral amyloid angiopathy in a mouse model of Alzheimer disease. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:36958-68 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that elevating plasma apoA-I/HDL levels may be an effective approach to preserve cognitive function in patients with AD. ..
- Chien K, Chen M, Hsu H, Su T, Chang W, Lee C, et al. Genetic association study of APOA1/C3/A4/A5 gene cluster and haplotypes on triglyceride and HDL cholesterol in a community-based population. Clin Chim Acta. 2008;388:78-83 pubmed..001). There is an important role of APOA1/C3/A4/A5 gene polymorphisms and haplotypes in the development of high triglyceride/HDL ratio in Chinese. ..
- Al Bustan S, Al Serri A, Annice B, Alnaqeeb M, Ebrahim G. Re-sequencing of the APOAI promoter region and the genetic association of the -75G?>?A polymorphism with increased cholesterol and low density lipoprotein levels among a sample of the Kuwaiti population. BMC Med Genet. 2013;14:90 pubmed publisher
- Wallace C, Newhouse S, Braund P, Zhang F, Tobin M, Falchi M, et al. Genome-wide association study identifies genes for biomarkers of cardiovascular disease: serum urate and dyslipidemia. Am J Hum Genet. 2008;82:139-49 pubmed publisher..This finding provides a potential biological mechanism for the recent association of this same allele of the same SNP with increased risk of coronary disease. ..
- DiDonato J, Huang Y, Aulak K, Even Or O, Gerstenecker G, Gogonea V, et al. Function and distribution of apolipoprotein A1 in the artery wall are markedly distinct from those in plasma. Circulation. 2013;128:1644-55 pubmed publisher..The lipoprotein is markedly enriched within atherosclerotic plaque, predominantly lipid-poor, not associated with HDL, extensively oxidatively cross-linked, and functionally impaired. ..
- Lagerstedt J, Cavigiolio G, Budamagunta M, Pagani I, Voss J, Oda M. Structure of apolipoprotein A-I N terminus on nascent high density lipoproteins. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:2966-75 pubmed publisher..6 nm rHDL (residues 6-98) and identified residues in this region that are affected by particle size. We conclude that the inter-helical segment (residues 35-49) plays a role in the adaptation of apoA-I to the particle size of HDL. ..
- Wu Z, Gogonea V, Lee X, May R, Pipich V, Wagner M, et al. The low resolution structure of ApoA1 in spherical high density lipoprotein revealed by small angle neutron scattering. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:12495-508 pubmed publisher..Cross-linking and mass spectrometry analyses help to discriminate among the three molecular models and are most consistent with the HdHp overall architecture of apoA1 within sHDL. ..
- Huang R, Silva R, Jerome W, Kontush A, Chapman M, Curtiss L, et al. Apolipoprotein A-I structural organization in high-density lipoproteins isolated from human plasma. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2011;18:416-22 pubmed publisher..This understanding offers insights into how apoA-I structure modulates HDL function and its interactions with other apolipoproteins. ..
- Lagerstedt J, Budamagunta M, Liu G, Devalle N, Voss J, Oda M. The "beta-clasp" model of apolipoprotein A-I--a lipid-free solution structure determined by electron paramagnetic resonance spectroscopy. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1821:448-55 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled Advances in High Density Lipoprotein Formation and Metabolism: A Tribute to John F. Oram (1945-2010). ..
- Padmaja N, Kumar M, Adithan C. Association of polymorphisms in apolipoprotein A1 and apolipoprotein B genes with lipid profile in Tamilian population. Indian Heart J. 2009;61:51-4 pubmed..For the first time genotype distribution of ApoAI and ApoB polymorphisms and their effect on lipid profile was established in Tamilians. Only -75G/A polymorphism of ApoAI was significantly associated with HDL7ndash;C levels. ..
- Liu Z, Hu M, Baum L, Thomas G, Tomlinson B. Associations of polymorphisms in the apolipoprotein A1/C3/A4/A5 gene cluster with familial combined hyperlipidaemia in Hong Kong Chinese. Atherosclerosis. 2010;208:427-32 pubmed publisher..Some common polymorphisms and haplotypes in APOA5 are closely associated with FCH in Hong Kong Chinese, and these differ from those found in Caucasians. ..
- Shao B, Cavigiolio G, Brot N, Oda M, Heinecke J. Methionine oxidation impairs reverse cholesterol transport by apolipoprotein A-I. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:12224-9 pubmed publisher..These observations implicate oxidation of a single Met in apoA-I in impaired LCAT activation, a critical early step in reverse cholesterol transport. ..
- Lund Katz S, Nguyen D, Dhanasekaran P, Kono M, Nickel M, Saito H, et al. Surface plasmon resonance analysis of the mechanism of binding of apoA-I to high density lipoprotein particles. J Lipid Res. 2010;51:606-17 pubmed publisher..This K(d) value does not apply to all of the apoA-I molecules on the HDL particle but only to a relatively small, labile pool. ..
- Huang J, Wang L, Prabakaran S, Wengenroth M, Lockstone H, Koethe D, et al. Independent protein-profiling studies show a decrease in apolipoprotein A1 levels in schizophrenia CSF, brain and peripheral tissues. Mol Psychiatry. 2008;13:1118-28 pubmed..05; -51%, P=0.05). These results show that apoA1 is consistently downregulated in the central nervous system as well as peripheral tissues of schizophrenia patients and may be linked to the underlying disease mechanism. ..
- Chien K, Fang W, Wen H, Lin H, Lin Y, Lin S, et al. APOA1/C3/A5 haplotype and risk of hypertriglyceridemia in Taiwanese. Clin Chim Acta. 2008;390:56-62 pubmed publisher..553TT had a 116% higher triglyceride concentration compared with those carrying common allele. The APOA1/C3/A5 haplotype represents an important locus for predicting risk of hypertriglyceridemia among Taiwanese. ..
- Kingwell B, Chapman M, Kontush A, Miller N. HDL-targeted therapies: progress, failures and future. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2014;13:445-64 pubmed publisher..This article examines the HDL hypothesis in molecular and mechanistic terms, focusing on features that have been addressed, those that remain to be tested, and potential new targets for future pharmacological interventions. ..
- Gu F, Jones M, Chen J, Patterson J, Catte A, Jerome W, et al. Structures of discoidal high density lipoproteins: a combined computational-experimental approach. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:4652-65 pubmed publisher..We propose that apoA-I incorporates increasing PL in the form of minimal surface bilayers through the incremental unwinding of an initially twisted saddle-shaped apoA-I double belt structure. ..
- Chasman D, Pare G, Zee R, Parker A, Cook N, Buring J, et al. Genetic loci associated with plasma concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, triglycerides, apolipoprotein A1, and Apolipoprotein B among 6382 white women in genome-wide analysis with replication. Circ Cardiovasc Genet. 2008;1:21-30 pubmed publisher..6% for ApoB. Genome-wide associations at the GCKR gene and near the SORT1 gene, as well as confirmatory associations at 5 additional novel loci, suggest emerging biological pathways for lipid metabolism among white women. ..
- Shanker J, Perumal G, Rao V, Khadrinarasimhiah N, John S, Hebbagodi S, et al. Genetic studies on the APOA1-C3-A5 gene cluster in Asian Indians with premature coronary artery disease. Lipids Health Dis. 2008;7:33 pubmed publisher..The APOC3-Sac1 SNP is an important genetic variant that is associated with CAD through its interaction with plasma lipids and other standard risk factors among Asian Indians. ..
- Rosales C, Gillard B, Courtney H, Blanco Vaca F, Pownall H. Apolipoprotein modulation of streptococcal serum opacity factor activity against human plasma high-density lipoproteins. Biochemistry. 2009;48:8070-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, effects of apos on the SOF reaction are highly relevant. Our studies show that the "humanized" apo A-I-expressing mouse is a good animal model for studies of rSOF effects on RCT in vivo. ..
- Vuilleumier N, Montecucco F, Spinella G, Pagano S, Bertolotto M, Pane B, et al. Serum levels of anti-apolipoprotein A-1 auto-antibodies and myeloperoxidase as predictors of major adverse cardiovascular events after carotid endarterectomy. Thromb Haemost. 2013;109:706-15 pubmed publisher..67, and provided incremental predictive ability over FRS. In conclusion, combining the assessment of anti-apoA-1 IgG and MPO appears as a promising risk stratification tool in patients with severe carotid stenosis. ..
- Koyama M, Tanaka M, Dhanasekaran P, Lund Katz S, Phillips M, Saito H. Interaction between the N- and C-terminal domains modulates the stability and lipid binding of apolipoprotein A-I. Biochemistry. 2009;48:2529-37 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that interaction between the N- and C-terminal tertiary structure domains in apoA-I modulates the stability and lipid-binding properties of the N-terminal helix bundle. ..
- Iatan I, Bailey D, Ruel I, Hafiane A, Campbell S, Krimbou L, et al. Membrane microdomains modulate oligomeric ABCA1 function: impact on apoAI-mediated lipid removal and phosphatidylcholine biosynthesis. J Lipid Res. 2011;52:2043-55 pubmed publisher..This process may have important implications in preventing and treating atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease...
- Silva R, Huang R, Morris J, Fang J, Gracheva E, Ren G, et al. Structure of apolipoprotein A-I in spherical high density lipoproteins of different sizes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:12176-81 pubmed publisher..We propose the first experiment-based molecular model of apoA-I in spherical HDL particles. This model provides a new foundation for understanding how apoA-I structure modulates HDL function and metabolism. ..
- Ramella N, Rimoldi O, Prieto E, Schinella G, Sanchez S, Jaureguiberry M, et al. Human apolipoprotein A-I-derived amyloid: its association with atherosclerosis. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e22532 pubmed publisher..We conclude that, even though apoA-I is not inherently amyloidogenic, it may produce non hereditary amyloidosis as a consequence of the pro-inflammatory microenvironment associated to atherogenesis. ..
- Miyazaki O, Ogihara J, Fukamachi I, Kasumi T. Evidence for the presence of lipid-free monomolecular apolipoprotein A-1 in plasma. J Lipid Res. 2014;55:214-25 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that plasma pre?1-HDL is lipid-free monomolecular apoA-1. ..
- Daneshpour M, Faam B, Mansournia M, Hedayati M, Halalkhor S, Mesbah Namin S, et al. Haplotype analysis of Apo AI-CIII-AIV gene cluster and lipids level: Tehran Lipid and Glucose Study. Endocrine. 2012;41:103-10 pubmed publisher..Levels of TG, Chol, HDL-C, Apo AI, Apo AIV, Apo B, and Apo CIII were measured, and the selected segments of the APOAI-CIII-AIV gene cluster were ..
- Ohnsorg P, Rohrer L, Perisa D, Kateifides A, Chroni A, Kardassis D, et al. Carboxyl terminus of apolipoprotein A-I (ApoA-I) is necessary for the transport of lipid-free ApoA-I but not prelipidated ApoA-I particles through aortic endothelial cells. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:7744-54 pubmed publisher..Our data also support the model of a two-step process for the transendothelial transport of apoA-I in which apoA-I is initially lipidated by ABCA1 and then further processed by ABCA1-independent mechanisms...
- Liu Y, Ordovas J, Gao G, Province M, Straka R, Tsai M, et al. Pharmacogenetic association of the APOA1/C3/A4/A5 gene cluster and lipid responses to fenofibrate: the genetics of lipid-lowering drugs and diet network study. Pharmacogenet Genomics. 2009;19:161-9 pubmed publisher..The genetic variants at APOA1/C3/A4/A5 gene cluster may be useful markers to predict response of lipid-lowering therapy with fenofibrate. Further studies to replicate/confirm our findings are warranted. ..
- Park J, Hong K, Lee J, Kim Y, Song P. Deep subcortical infarct burden in relation to apolipoprotein B/AI ratio in patients with intracranial atherosclerotic stenosis. Eur J Neurol. 2013;20:671-80 pubmed publisher..17; 2.50-59.19 for the fourth quartile), when referenced to the first quartile. ApoB/apoAI ratio is associated with asymptomatic deep subcortical ischaemic burden as well as with symptomatic lesion in patients with ICAS. ..
- AshokKumar M, Subhashini N, SaiBabu R, Ramesh A, Cherian K, Emmanuel C. Genetic variants on apolipoprotein gene cluster influence triglycerides with a risk of coronary artery disease among Indians. Mol Biol Rep. 2010;37:521-7 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the variants on apolipoprotein C3 and apolipoprotien A5 modulate serum triglyceride levels and increase the risk of coronary artery disease. ..
- Marques Vidal P, Bochud M, Paccaud F, Waterworth D, Bergmann S, Preisig M, et al. No interaction between alcohol consumption and HDL-related genes on HDL cholesterol levels. Atherosclerosis. 2010;211:551-7 pubmed publisher..To assess the relationships and possible interactions between polymorphisms related to HDL levels and alcohol consumption...
- Cavigiolio G, Geier E, Shao B, Heinecke J, Oda M. Exchange of apolipoprotein A-I between lipid-associated and lipid-free states: a potential target for oxidative generation of dysfunctional high density lipoproteins. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:18847-57 pubmed publisher..This impairment of apoA-I exchange reaction may be a trait of dysfunctional HDL contributing to reduced ATP-binding cassette A1-mediated cholesterol efflux and atherosclerosis. ..
- Gonzalez M, Toledo J, Tricerri M, Garda H. The central type Y amphipathic alpha-helices of apolipoprotein AI are involved in the mobilization of intracellular cholesterol depots. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2008;473:34-41 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the central domain of apoAI is involved in cholesterol cell traffic and solubilization, and that a Y-type charge distribution in polar face may be required, as well as a correct helices-polar face orientation. ..
- Chetty P, Nguyen D, Nickel M, Lund Katz S, Mayne L, Englander S, et al. Comparison of apoA-I helical structure and stability in discoidal and spherical HDL particles by HX and mass spectrometry. J Lipid Res. 2013;54:1589-97 pubmed publisher..Overall, apoA-I secondary structure is largely unaffected by a change in HDL particle shape from disc to sphere. ..
- de Souza J, Vindis C, Hansel B, Negre Salvayre A, Therond P, Serrano C, et al. Metabolic syndrome features small, apolipoprotein A-I-poor, triglyceride-rich HDL3 particles with defective anti-apoptotic activity. Atherosclerosis. 2008;197:84-94 pubmed
- Mei X, Atkinson D. Crystal structure of C-terminal truncated apolipoprotein A-I reveals the assembly of high density lipoprotein (HDL) by dimerization. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:38570-82 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the structure suggests the possible interaction with lecithin-cholesterol acyltransferase and may shed light on the molecular details of the effect of the Milano, Paris, and Fin mutations. ..
- Hadfield K, Pattison D, Brown B, Hou L, Rye K, Davies M, et al. Myeloperoxidase-derived oxidants modify apolipoprotein A-I and generate dysfunctional high-density lipoproteins: comparison of hypothiocyanous acid (HOSCN) with hypochlorous acid (HOCl). Biochem J. 2013;449:531-42 pubmed publisher..The ability of HOSCN to impair apoA-I-mediated cholesterol efflux may contribute to the development of atherosclerosis, particularly in smokers who have high plasma levels of SCN- (thiocyanate)...
- Zehender F, Ziegler A, Schönfeld H, Seelig J. Thermodynamics of protein self-association and unfolding. The case of apolipoprotein A-I. Biochemistry. 2012;51:1269-80 pubmed publisher..0 ± 0.5 kJ mol(?1) K(?1) upon unfolding corresponding to a loss of 80?85 helical segments, which was confirmed by circular dichroism spectroscopy. Unfolding was highly cooperative with a nucleation parameter ? of 4.4 × 10(?5). ..
- Li Y, Yin R, Zhou Y, Deng Y, Yang D, Pan S, et al. Associations of the apolipoprotein A-I gene polymorphism and serum lipid levels in the Guangxi Hei Yi Zhuang and Han populations. Int J Mol Med. 2008;21:753-64 pubmed..An association of the apoAI -75 bp G/A and serum TG, LDL-C and apoA-I levels in Hei Yi Zhuang and serum TG, HDL-C and apoB levels in Han was also observed in this study. ..
- Thomas M, Bhat S, Sorci Thomas M. Three-dimensional models of HDL apoA-I: implications for its assembly and function. J Lipid Res. 2008;49:1875-83 pubmed publisher..The combination of mass spectrometry, molecular modeling, molecular dynamic analysis, and small-angle X-ray diffraction has provided additional structural information on apoA-I folding that complements previous approaches. ..
- Haase C, Tybjærg Hansen A, Grande P, Frikke Schmidt R. Genetically elevated apolipoprotein A-I, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels, and risk of ischemic heart disease. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95:E500-10 pubmed publisher..Common genetic variation in APOA1 associated with increased apoA-I and HDL cholesterol levels did not associate with decreased risk of IHD or MI. ..
- Roher A, Maarouf C, Sue L, Hu Y, Wilson J, Beach T. Proteomics-derived cerebrospinal fluid markers of autopsy-confirmed Alzheimer's disease. Biomarkers. 2009;14:493-501 pubmed publisher..For the discrimination of AD from NADD subjects, measurement of Abeta1-42 alone was superior. ..
- Lyssenko N, Hata M, Dhanasekaran P, Nickel M, Nguyen D, Chetty P, et al. Influence of C-terminal ?-helix hydrophobicity and aromatic amino acid content on apolipoprotein A-I functionality. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1821:456-63 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled Advances in High Density Lipoprotein Formation and Metabolism: A Tribute to John F. Oram (1945-2010)...
- Delgado Lista J, Perez Jimenez F, Ruano J, Perez Martinez P, Fuentes F, Criado Garcia J, et al. Effects of variations in the APOA1/C3/A4/A5 gene cluster on different parameters of postprandial lipid metabolism in healthy young men. J Lipid Res. 2010;51:63-73 pubmed publisher..APOC3 -640 was associated with altered TG kinetics but not its magnitude. We have identified new associations between SNPs in the APOA1/C3/A4/A5 gene cluster and altered postprandial lipid metabolism. ..
- Eriksson M, Schönland S, Yumlu S, Hegenbart U, von Hutten H, Gioeva Z, et al. Hereditary apolipoprotein AI-associated amyloidosis in surgical pathology specimens: identification of three novel mutations in the APOA1 gene. J Mol Diagn. 2009;11:257-62 pubmed publisher..Patients with alterations in codons 1 to 75 mostly develop hepatic and renal amyloidosis, while carriers of mutations in residues 173 to 178 mainly suffer from cardiac, laryngeal, and cutaneous amyloidosis. ..
- Zerrad Saadi A, Therond P, Chantepie S, Couturier M, Rye K, Chapman M, et al. HDL3-mediated inactivation of LDL-associated phospholipid hydroperoxides is determined by the redox status of apolipoprotein A-I and HDL particle surface lipid rigidity: relevance to inflammation and atherogenesis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2009;29:2169-75 pubmed publisher..Initial transfer of PCOOH to HDL3 is modulated by the surface rigidity of HDL3 particles with subsequent reduction of PCOOH to PCOH by methionine residues of apoAI. ..
- Dixit M, Choudhuri G, Saxena R, Mittal B. Association of apolipoprotein A1-C3 gene cluster polymorphisms with gallstone disease. Can J Gastroenterol. 2007;21:569-75 pubmed..On the other hand, APOA1 M2(+/-) and APOC3 SstI polymorphisms may not be associated with gallstone disease. Haplotype analysis is a better predictor of risk for gallstone disease. ..
- Wang X, Niu X, Chen W, Lin N, Song J, Chen B, et al. [Effects of apolipoprotein A1 and B gene polymorphism on avascular necrosis of the femoral head in Chinese population]. Zhongguo Gu Shang. 2008;21:99-102 pubmed..But no evident relationship was found between gene polymorphism of +75 bp loci of Apo A1 gene, Eco RI loci of Apo B gene, Xba I loci of Apo B gene or 3'-VNTR of Apo B gene and ANFH. ..
- Chen E, Mazzotti D, Furuya T, Cendoroglo M, Ramos L, Araujo L, et al. Apolipoprotein A1 gene polymorphisms as risk factors for hypertension and obesity. Clin Exp Med. 2009;9:319-25 pubmed publisher..025). APOA1 polymorphisms analysis may be a useful tool to identify risk factors for subjects and families and clarify the physiopathological role of these polymorphisms in age-related diseases, such as hypertension and obesity. ..
- Sorci Thomas M, Owen J, Fulp B, Bhat S, Zhu X, Parks J, et al. Nascent high density lipoproteins formed by ABCA1 resemble lipid rafts and are structurally organized by three apoA-I monomers. J Lipid Res. 2012;53:1890-909 pubmed publisher..Overall, these new data offer fresh insights into the biogenesis and structural constraints involved in forming nascent HDL from ABCA1...
- Weers P, Patel A, Wan L, Guigard E, Kay C, Hafiane A, et al. Novel N-terminal mutation of human apolipoprotein A-I reduces self-association and impairs LCAT activation. J Lipid Res. 2011;52:35-44 pubmed publisher..These results implicate a region around S36 in apoA-I self-association, independent of the intact C terminus. Furthermore, the region around S36 in the N-terminus of human apoA-I is necessary for LCAT activation. ..
- Guéant Rodriguez R, Spada R, Moreno Garcia M, Anello G, Bosco P, Lagrost L, et al. Homocysteine is a determinant of ApoA-I and both are associated with ankle brachial index, in an ambulatory elderly population. Atherosclerosis. 2011;214:480-5 pubmed publisher..The influence of homocysteine on ApoA-I and HDL metabolism provides new insights on its role on vascular diseases, at a cross-point between atherosclerosis and atherothrombosis. ..
- Gomaraschi M, Baldassarre D, Amato M, Eligini S, Conca P, Sirtori C, et al. Normal vascular function despite low levels of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol in carriers of the apolipoprotein A-I(Milano) mutant. Circulation. 2007;116:2165-72 pubmed..Despite their very low HDL levels, apoA-I(M) carriers do not display typical features of impaired vascular function because of an improved activity of apoA-I(M) HDL in maintaining endothelial cell homeostasis. ..
- Yin K, Deng X, Mo Z, Zhao G, Jiang J, Cui L, et al. Tristetraprolin-dependent post-transcriptional regulation of inflammatory cytokine mRNA expression by apolipoprotein A-I: role of ATP-binding membrane cassette transporter A1 and signal transducer and activator of transcription 3. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:13834-45 pubmed publisher..These results present not only a novel mechanism for the apoA-I-mediated inflammation suppression in macrophages but also provide new insights for developing strategies for modulating vascular inflammation and atherosclerosis. ..