Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: alpha-catenin
Description: catenin alpha 1
Alias: CAP102, MDPT2, catenin alpha-1, alpha-E-catenin, catenin (cadherin-associated protein), alpha 1, 102kDa, renal carcinoma antigen NY-REN-13
Publications129 found, 100 shown here
- Nagafuchi A, Takeichi M, Tsukita S. The 102 kd cadherin-associated protein: similarity to vinculin and posttranscriptional regulation of expression. Cell. 1991;65:849-57 pubmed..Using isolated adherens junctions of the liver, we purified a 102 kd protein that can associate with E-cadherin (CAP102) and isolated cDNAs encoding this protein...
- Knudsen K, Soler A, Johnson K, Wheelock M. Interaction of alpha-actinin with the cadherin/catenin cell-cell adhesion complex via alpha-catenin. J Cell Biol. 1995;130:67-77 pubmed..We therefore propose that cadherin/catenin complexes are linked to the actin cytoskeleton via a direct association between alpha-actinin and alpha-catenin. ..
- Hülsken J, Birchmeier W, Behrens J. E-cadherin and APC compete for the interaction with beta-catenin and the cytoskeleton. J Cell Biol. 1994;127:2061-9 pubmed
- Obama H, Ozawa M. Identification of the domain of alpha-catenin involved in its association with beta-catenin and plakoglobin (gamma-catenin). J Biol Chem. 1997;272:11017-20 pubmed..7 x 10(-8), respectively). When transfected into L cells expressing E-cadherin, the amino-terminal region of alpha-catenin (from residue 1 to 226) formed complexes with beta-catenin supporting the in vitro binding experiment results. ..
- Itoh M, Nagafuchi A, Moroi S, Tsukita S. Involvement of ZO-1 in cadherin-based cell adhesion through its direct binding to alpha catenin and actin filaments. J Cell Biol. 1997;138:181-92 pubmed..Recombinant N-ZO-1 bound directly to the glutathione-S-transferase fusion protein with alpha catenin, but not to that with beta catenin or the cytoplasmic domain of E-cadherin...
- Watabe Uchida M, Uchida N, Imamura Y, Nagafuchi A, Fujimoto K, Uemura T, et al. alpha-Catenin-vinculin interaction functions to organize the apical junctional complex in epithelial cells. J Cell Biol. 1998;142:847-57 pubmed..These results indicate that the alphaE-catenin-vinculin interaction plays a role in the assembly of the apical junctional complex in epithelia. ..
- Matsubara S, Ozawa M. Expression of alpha-catenin in alpha-catenin-deficient cells results in a reduced proliferation in three-dimensional multicellular spheroids but not in two-dimensional monolayer cultures. Oncogene. 2004;23:2694-702 pubmed..Therefore, both the homophilic interaction of the cadherin extracellular domain and the linkage of the cadherin cytoplasmic domain to the actin cytoskeleton by alpha-catenin are necessary for growth control in three-dimensional culture. ..
- Pappas D, Rimm D. Direct interaction of the C-terminal domain of alpha-catenin and F-actin is necessary for stabilized cell-cell adhesion. Cell Commun Adhes. 2006;13:151-70 pubmed..We conclude that direct attachment of alpha-catenin to F-actin is required to promote cadherin-mediated contact formation and strong cell-cell adhesive states. ..
- Ratheesh A, Gomez G, Priya R, Verma S, Kovacs E, Jiang K, et al. Centralspindlin and Î±-catenin regulate Rho signalling at the epithelial zonula adherens. Nat Cell Biol. 2012;14:818-828 pubmed publisher..Thus, a conserved molecular ensemble that governs Rho activation during cytokinesis is used in interphase cells to control the Rho GTPase cycle at the zonula adherens. ..
- Peralta Soler A, Knudsen K, Jaurand M, Johnson K, Wheelock M, Klein Szanto A, et al. The differential expression of N-cadherin and E-cadherin distinguishes pleural mesotheliomas from lung adenocarcinomas. Hum Pathol. 1995;26:1363-9 pubmed..Our results show that pleural mesotheliomas can be distinguished from lung adenocarcinomas based on the differential expression of N-cadherin and E-cadherin, using specific monoclonal antibodies and immunocytochemistry. ..
- Smythe W, Williams J, Wheelock M, Johnson K, Kaiser L, Albelda S. Cadherin and catenin expression in normal human bronchial epithelium and non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer. 1999;24:157-68 pubmed
- Lee M, Padmashali R, Koria P, Andreadis S. JNK regulates binding of alpha-catenin to adherens junctions and cell-cell adhesion. FASEB J. 2011;25:613-23 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results suggest that JNK affects the association of ?-catenin with the adherens junction complex and regulates adherens junctions...
- Zimmermann P, Tomatis D, Rosas M, Grootjans J, Leenaerts I, Degeest G, et al. Characterization of syntenin, a syndecan-binding PDZ protein, as a component of cell adhesion sites and microfilaments. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:339-50 pubmed..These results suggest a role for syntenin in the composition of adherens junctions and the regulation of plasma membrane dynamics, and imply a potential role for syntenin in nuclear processes. ..
- Selbach M, Mann M. Protein interaction screening by quantitative immunoprecipitation combined with knockdown (QUICK). Nat Methods. 2006;3:981-3 pubmed..We used this screen to identify interaction partners of beta-catenin and Cbl. ..
- Wang L, Lin S, Zhang J, Tian T, Jin L, Ren A. Fetal DNA hypermethylation in tight junction pathway is associated with neural tube defects: A genome-wide DNA methylation analysis. Epigenetics. 2017;12:157-165 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, hypermethylation of the CTNNA1 and MYH2 genes in tight junction pathway is associated with the risk for NTDs, and the DNA methylation aberration may be caused by exposure to benzo(a)pyrene. ..
- Reuver S, Garner C. E-cadherin mediated cell adhesion recruits SAP97 into the cortical cytoskeleton. J Cell Sci. 1998;111 ( Pt 8):1071-80 pubmed..Our results are consistent with a model in which SAP97 is recruited to sites of cell-cell contact via an E-cadherin induced assembly of the cortical cytoskeleton. ..
- Canavese G, Bernardi A, Candelaresi G, Lovadina P, Amerio S, Rossetti V, et al. Expression of the E-cadherin-catenins complex in sentinel node is related to tumor morphology but not to spread to nonsentinel nodes. Pathol Res Pract. 2007;203:517-23 pubmed..Moreover, considering traditional histopathologic parameters, only vascular peritumoral embolization was related to an increased risk of metastatic spread to axillary NSNs. ..
- Goldbach P, Wong R, Beise N, Sarpal R, Trimble W, Brill J. Stabilization of the actomyosin ring enables spermatocyte cytokinesis in Drosophila. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:1482-93 pubmed publisher..Our results show that the anillin-septin and cadherin-catenin complexes can serve as alternative cassettes to promote tight physical coupling of F-actin and myosin II to the cleavage furrow and successful completion of cytokinesis. ..
- He C, Kong L, Puthiyakunnon S, Wei H, Zhou L, Peng H. iTRAQ-based phosphoproteomic analysis reveals host cell's specific responses to Toxoplasma gondii at the phases of invasion and prior to egress. Biochim Biophys Acta Proteins Proteom. 2018;1867:202-212 pubmed publisher..gondii infection and the interaction between the host cell and T. gondii. ..
- Itoh M, Morita K, Tsukita S. Characterization of ZO-2 as a MAGUK family member associated with tight as well as adherens junctions with a binding affinity to occludin and alpha catenin. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:5981-6 pubmed..Consistently, occludin as well as alpha catenin directly bound to N-ZO-2 as well as the NH2-terminal dlg-like portion of ZO-1 (N-ZO-1) in vitro...
- Qu Q, Zhang Q, Wang X. [Expression of E-cadherin catenin complex and invasiveness of pituitary adenoma]. Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2006;41:433-6 pubmed..701, P < 0.05). The reduction of E-cad catenin complex is related to invasiveness and clinical pathological characteristics. ..
- Kiss A, Troyanovsky R, Troyanovsky S. p120-catenin is a key component of the cadherin-gamma-secretase supercomplex. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:4042-50 pubmed publisher..The cell-cell contact location of this supercomplex makes it an important candidate for conducting different signals that rely on gamma-secretase proteolytic activity. ..
- Zhou X, Zhang H, Han X. Role of epithelial to mesenchymal transition proteins in gynecological cancers: pathological and therapeutic perspectives. Tumour Biol. 2014;35:9523-30 pubmed publisher..In this study, we have reviewed the recent development in the research on the association of EMT markers with three major gynecological cancers in the perspectives of carcinogenesis and therapeutics. ..
- Rimm D, Kebriaei P, Morrow J. Molecular cloning reveals alternative splice forms of human alpha(E)-catenin. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1994;203:1691-9 pubmed..These data with the reported structure of other catenin genes suggest that vinculin and alpha-catenin generate a superfamily of proteins mediating membrane-cytoskeletal associations. ..
- Merdek K, Jaffe A, Dutt P, Olson M, Hall A, Fanburg B, et al. Alpha(E)-Catenin induces SRF-dependent transcriptional activity through its C-terminal region and is partly RhoA/ROCK-dependent. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;366:717-23 pubmed..SRE.L reporter is activated by the C-terminal approximately 300 residue region of alpha(E)-catenin. These results suggest induction of SRF-mediated transcription by alpha(E)-catenin either downstream of RhoA or via a parallel pathway. ..
- de Boer W, Sharma H, Baelemans S, Hoogsteden H, Lambrecht B, Braunstahl G. Altered expression of epithelial junctional proteins in atopic asthma: possible role in inflammation. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2008;86:105-12 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the lower epithelial alpha-catenin, E-cadherin and (or) ZO-1 expression in patients with atopic asthma contributes to a defective airway epithelial barrier and a higher influx of eosinophils in the epithelium. ..
- Wang Z, Wang Z, Zhou Z, Ren Y. Crucial genes associated with diabetic nephropathy explored by microarray analysis. BMC Nephrol. 2016;17:128 pubmed publisher..The genes involved in cytoskeleton organization, cardiomyopathy, as well as complement and coagulation cascades may be closely implicated in the progression of DN, via the regulation of miRNAs and TFs. ..
- Meng Q, Qi M, Chen D, Yuan R, Goldberg I, Rosen E, et al. Suppression of breast cancer invasion and migration by indole-3-carbinol: associated with up-regulation of BRCA1 and E-cadherin/catenin complexes. J Mol Med (Berl). 2000;78:155-65 pubmed..Thus, clinical application of I3C may contribute to the potential benefit for suppression of breast cancer invasion and metastasis. ..
- Gavilan M, Arjona M, Zurbano A, Formstecher E, Martínez Morales J, Bornens M, et al. Alpha-catenin-dependent recruitment of the centrosomal protein CAP350 to adherens junctions allows epithelial cells to acquire a columnar shape. PLoS Biol. 2015;13:e1002087 pubmed publisher..We also uncover a central role of α-catenin in global cytoskeleton remodelling, in which it acts not only on actin but also on MT reorganisation during epithelial morphogenesis. ..
- Wang M, Ning X, Chen A, Huang H, Ni C, Zhou C, et al. Impaired formation of homotypic cell-in-cell structures in human tumor cells lacking alpha-catenin expression. Sci Rep. 2015;5:12223 pubmed publisher..Thus, our work identified α-catenin as another molecule in addition to E- and P-cadherin that were targeted to inactivate homotypic CICs formation in human tumor cells. ..
- Tanaka T, Iino M, Goto K. Knockdown of Sec6 improves cell-cell adhesion by increasing ?-E-catenin in oral cancer cells. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:924-33 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that the expression of ?-E-catenin is increased by Sec6 siRNAs, and E-cadherin and ?-catenin localize mainly at the cell-cell contact region in HSC3 cells, which were transfected with Sec6 siRNA. ..
- Fan C, Ma L, Liu N. Systematic analysis of lncRNA-miRNA-mRNA competing endogenous RNA network identifies four-lncRNA signature as a prognostic biomarker for breast cancer. J Transl Med. 2018;16:264 pubmed publisher..696. The current study provides novel insights into the lncRNA-related ceRNA network in BC and the 4 lncRNA biomarkers may be independent prognostic signatures in predicting the survival of BC patients. ..
- Tian Q, Feetham M, Tao W, He X, Li L, Aebersold R, et al. Proteomic analysis identifies that 14-3-3zeta interacts with beta-catenin and facilitates its activation by Akt. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:15370-5 pubmed..We propose that Akt phosphorylates beta-catenin, which results in 14-3-3zeta binding and stabilization of beta-catenin, and these interactions may be involved in stem cell development. ..
- Hansford S, Kaurah P, Li Chang H, Woo M, Senz J, Pinheiro H, et al. Hereditary Diffuse Gastric Cancer Syndrome: CDH1 Mutations and Beyond. JAMA Oncol. 2015;1:23-32 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we propose that HDGC syndrome may be best defined by mutations in CDH1 and closely related genes, rather than through clinical criteria that capture families with heterogeneous susceptibility profiles. ..
- Sheng Y, Wang H, Liu D, Zhang C, Deng Y, Yang F, et al. Methylation of tumor suppressor gene CDH13 and SHP1 promoters and their epigenetic regulation by the UHRF1/PRMT5 complex in endometrial carcinoma. Gynecol Oncol. 2016;140:145-51 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, UHRF1 could form a complex with PRMT5 to contribute to the endometrial carcinogenesis. ..
- Tsiambas E, Ragos V, Georgakopoulos G, Rigopoulos D, Fotiades P, Chatziioannidis A, et al. E-cadherin/α-catenin deregulated co-expression in thyroid carcinoma based on tissue microarray digital image analysis. J BUON. 2016;21:450-5 pubmed..Based on their aberrant protein expression, novel agents have been developed for restoring their normal function. ..
- Li Y, Meng Y, Ji X. Relationship between expressions of E-cadherin and alpha-catenin and biological behaviors of human pancreatic cancer. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int. 2003;2:471-7 pubmed
- Li J, Gao E, Vite A, Yi R, Gomez L, Goossens S, et al. Alpha-catenins control cardiomyocyte proliferation by regulating Yap activity. Circ Res. 2015;116:70-9 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we provide proof of concept that inhibiting Î±-catenins might be a useful strategy to promote myocardial regeneration after injury. ..
- Kinch M, Clark G, Der C, Burridge K. Tyrosine phosphorylation regulates the adhesions of ras-transformed breast epithelia. J Cell Biol. 1995;130:461-71 pubmed..These results suggest that elevated tyrosine phosphorylation of proteins such as beta-catenin and p120 Cas contribute to the altered adherens junctions of ras-transformed epithelia. ..
- Wahl J, Kim Y, Cullen J, Johnson K, Wheelock M. N-cadherin-catenin complexes form prior to cleavage of the proregion and transport to the plasma membrane. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:17269-76 pubmed..These data suggest that a core N-cadherin-catenin complex assembles in the endoplasmic reticulum or Golgi compartment and is transported to the plasma membrane where linkage to the actin cytoskeleton can be established. ..
- Zekri A, El Sisi E, Abdallah Z, Ismail A, Barakat Barakat A. Gene expression profiling of circulating CD133+ cells of hepatocellular carcinoma patients associated with HCV infection. J Egypt Natl Canc Inst. 2017;29:19-24 pubmed publisher..012). KRT15 can be used to differentiate between circulating CD133+ cells from HCC group and control group. However, further study may be needed to confirm on the protein level. ..
- Furukawa Y, Nakatsuru S, Nagafuchi A, Tsukita S, Muto T, Nakamura Y, et al. Structure, expression and chromosome assignment of the human catenin (cadherin-associated protein) alpha 1 gene (CTNNA1). Cytogenet Cell Genet. 1994;65:74-8 pubmed..2% homologous. Analysis by reverse transcription-PCR revealed that this gene is expressed ubiquitously in normal tissues. It was mapped to chromosome band 5q31 by fluorescent in situ hybridization. ..
- Baki L, Marambaud P, Efthimiopoulos S, Georgakopoulos A, Wen P, Cui W, et al. Presenilin-1 binds cytoplasmic epithelial cadherin, inhibits cadherin/p120 association, and regulates stability and function of the cadherin/catenin adhesion complex. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:2381-6 pubmed..These data identify PS1 as an E-cadherin-binding protein and a regulator of E-cadherin function in vivo. ..
- Kim J, Kim E, Lee K, Choi J, Jhun B, Kim J. Leucine zipper domain of HIV-1 gp41 interacted specifically with alpha-catenin. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;291:1239-44 pubmed
- Perez Pinera P, Alcantara S, Dimitrov T, Vega J, Deuel T. Pleiotrophin disrupts calcium-dependent homophilic cell-cell adhesion and initiates an epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:17795-800 pubmed
- Li Y, Ji X. Relationship between expression of E-cadherin-catenin complex and clinicopathologic characteristics of pancreatic cancer. World J Gastroenterol. 2003;9:368-72 pubmed..It is suggested that the abnormal E-cadherin-catenin complex expression plays an important role in the development and progression of tumor, and thus may become a new marker in pancreatic cancer metastasis. ..
- Novellasdemunt L, Foglizzo V, Cuadrado L, Antas P, Kucharska A, Encheva V, et al. USP7 Is a Tumor-Specific WNT Activator for APC-Mutated Colorectal Cancer by Mediating ?-Catenin Deubiquitination. Cell Rep. 2017;21:612-627 pubmed publisher..Finally, the Wnt-activating role of USP7 is specific to APC mutations; thus, it can be used as a tumor-specific therapeutic target for most CRCs. ..
- Rubinfeld B, Souza B, Albert I, Munemitsu S, Polakis P. The APC protein and E-cadherin form similar but independent complexes with alpha-catenin, beta-catenin, and plakoglobin. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:5549-55 pubmed..Thus, APC forms distinct heteromeric complexes containing combinations of alpha-catenin, beta-catenin, and plakoglobin which are independent from the cadherin-catenin complexes. ..
- Adam P, Boyd R, Tyson K, Fletcher G, Stamps A, Hudson L, et al. Comprehensive proteomic analysis of breast cancer cell membranes reveals unique proteins with potential roles in clinical cancer. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:6482-9 pubmed
- Navarro P, Lozano E, Cano A. Expression of E- or P-cadherin is not sufficient to modify the morphology and the tumorigenic behavior of murine spindle carcinoma cells. Possible involvement of plakoglobin. J Cell Sci. 1993;105 ( Pt 4):923-34 pubmed..The presence of plakoglobin could be required for the proper organization of E-cadherin in the transfectant cells in order to acquire an epithelioid phenotype. ..
- Roe S, Koslov E, Rimm D. A mutation in alpha-catenin disrupts adhesion in clone A cells without perturbing its actin and beta-catenin binding activity. Cell Adhes Commun. 1998;5:283-96 pubmed..We conclude that a region near the N-terminus of alpha-catenin mediates additional interactions between the adhesive complex and the cytoskeleton that are critical for functional adhesion. ..
- Fu C, Zhu K, Mi J, Liu Y, Murray S, Fu Y, et al. An evolutionarily conserved PTEN-C/EBPalpha-CTNNA1 axis controls myeloid development and transformation. Blood. 2010;115:4715-24 pubmed publisher..This study uncovers a novel molecular pathway, PTEN-C/EBPalpha-CTNNA1, which is evolutionarily conserved and might be therapeutically targeted to eradicate LICs with low CTNNA1 expression. ..
- Curtis M, Ly Q, Wheelock M, Johnson K. Evidence that the V832M E-cadherin germ-line missense mutation does not influence the affinity of alpha -catenin for the cadherin/catenin complex. Cell Commun Adhes. 2007;14:45-55 pubmed
- Sugimoto S, Komatsu H, Morohoshi Y, Kanai T. Recognition of and recent issues in hereditary diffuse gastric cancer. J Gastroenterol. 2015;50:831-43 pubmed publisher..CDH1 testing, including analyses of large genomic rearrangements, should be recommended even in countries where few HDGC cases have been reported. ..
- Sacco P, McGranahan T, Wheelock M, Johnson K. Identification of plakoglobin domains required for association with N-cadherin and alpha-catenin. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:20201-6 pubmed..Plakoglobin is an armadillo family member containing 13 weakly similar internal repeats. These data show that the alpha-catenin-binding region maps within the first repeat and the N-cadherin-binding region maps within repeats 7 and 8. ..
- Daniel J, Reynolds A. The tyrosine kinase substrate p120cas binds directly to E-cadherin but not to the adenomatous polyposis coli protein or alpha-catenin. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:4819-24 pubmed..Hence, like beta-catenin and plakoglobin, CAS interacts directly with E-cadherin in vivo; however, unlike beta-catenin and plakoglobin, CAS does not interact with APC or alpha-catenin. ..
- Zhou Y, Chen S, Ju J, Shen L, Liu Y, Zhen S, et al. Tumor suppressor function of BCSC-1 in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer Sci. 2009;100:1817-22 pubmed publisher..Enhanced aggregation of cells together with increased E-cadherin and alpha-catenin expression and reduced Wnt signaling might be involved in the mechanisms of tumor suppressor function of BCSC-1. ..
- Patterson A, Pirochta J, Tufano S, TEIXEIRA J. Gain-of-function ?-catenin in the uterine mesenchyme leads to impaired implantation and decidualization. J Endocrinol. 2017;233:119-130 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that dysregulated ?-catenin activity in the stroma affects epithelial cell STAT3 signaling and ultimately embryo implantation and stromal decidualization. ..
- Barrick S, Li J, Kong X, Ray A, Tajkhorshid E, Leckband D. Salt bridges gate α-catenin activation at intercellular junctions. Mol Biol Cell. 2018;29:111-122 pubmed publisher..These results reveal key structural features that determine the force-transduction mechanism and the force sensitivity of this crucial nanomachine. ..
- Wilson P. Polycystin: new aspects of structure, function, and regulation. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2001;12:834-45 pubmed..Genetic evidence suggests that PKD1, PKD2, NPHP1, and tensin are in the same pathway. ..
- Oneyama C, Nakano H, Sharma S. UCS15A, a novel small molecule, SH3 domain-mediated protein-protein interaction blocking drug. Oncogene. 2002;21:2037-50 pubmed..In vitro analyses suggested that UCS15A did not bind to the SH3 domain itself but rather may interact directly with the target proline-rich domains. ..
- Broman M, Kouklis P, Gao X, Ramchandran R, Neamu R, Minshall R, et al. Cdc42 regulates adherens junction stability and endothelial permeability by inducing alpha-catenin interaction with the vascular endothelial cadherin complex. Circ Res. 2006;98:73-80 pubmed..The results demonstrate that Cdc42 regulates AJ permeability by controlling the binding of alpha-catenin with beta-catenin and the consequent interaction of the VE-cadherin/catenin complex with the actin cytoskeleton. ..
- Czyzewska J, Guzinska Ustymowicz K, Ustymowicz M, Pryczynicz A, Kemona A. The expression of E-cadherin-catenin complex in patients with advanced gastric cancer: role in formation of metastasis. Folia Histochem Cytobiol. 2010;48:37-45 pubmed publisher..Our results may suggest that the E-cadherin-catenin complex is the factor indicative of metastasis and disease progression in gastric cancer. Also the expression of E-cadherin may play a role as a prognostic factor. ..
- Pryczynicz A, Guzinska Ustymowicz K, Kemona A, Czyzewska J. Expression of the E-cadherin-catenin complex in patients with pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Folia Histochem Cytobiol. 2010;48:128-33 pubmed publisher..Also enhanced tumor aggressiveness shows certain tendency correlations (although statistically insignificant) with the loss of E-cadherin expression and change in its localization. ..
- Troyanovsky R, Klingelhofer J, Troyanovsky S. ?-Catenin contributes to the strength of E-cadherin-p120 interactions. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:4247-55 pubmed publisher..The six amino acid-long extension of this loop, caused by an alternative splicing, weakens p120 binding to cadherin. The data suggest that ?-catenin-p120 contact within the cadherin-catenin complex can regulate cadherin trafficking. ..
- Slavin T, Neuhausen S, Rybak C, Solomon I, Nehoray B, Blazer K, et al. Genetic Gastric Cancer Susceptibility in the International Clinical Cancer Genomics Community Research Network. Cancer Genet. 2017;216-217:111-119 pubmed publisher..Age of onset and family history of gastric cancer were mutation status predictors. Our findings support multigene panels in identifying gastric cancer predisposition. ..
- Linkels M, Bussemakers M, Nollet F, Ewing C, van Roy F, Schalken J. Molecular cloning of an alternative human alphaE-catenin cDNA. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1997;237:177-81 pubmed..Considering the presence of AU-rich sequences in the extension, it may be involved in mRNA stability. ..
- Kim E, Lee K, Kim J. The cytoplasmic domain of HIV-1 gp41 interacts with the carboxyl-terminal region of alpha-catenin. Mol Cells. 1999;9:281-5 pubmed
- Svastova E, Zilka N, Zat ovicová M, Gibadulinova A, Ciampor F, Pastorek J, et al. Carbonic anhydrase IX reduces E-cadherin-mediated adhesion of MDCK cells via interaction with beta-catenin. Exp Cell Res. 2003;290:332-45 pubmed..We conclude that CA IX has a capacity to modulate E-cadherin-mediated cell adhesion via interaction with beta-catenin, which could be of potential significance in hypoxia-induced tumor progression. ..
- Tuhkanen H, Anttila M, Kosma V, Puolakka J, Juhola M, Heinonen S, et al. Marked allelic imbalance on chromosome 5q31 does not explain alpha-catenin expression in epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2004;94:416-21 pubmed..However, this gene is likely to be inactivated by mechanisms other than allelic imbalance. In addition, genetic heterogeneity observed in these tumors demonstrates the multiclonal nature of epithelial ovarian tumors. ..
- Gocke C, Yu H, Kang J. Systematic identification and analysis of mammalian small ubiquitin-like modifier substrates. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:5004-12 pubmed..Therefore, sumoylation appears to regulate the functions of its substrates through multiple, context-dependent mechanisms. ..
- Fillies T, Buerger H, Gaertner C, August C, Brandt B, Joos U, et al. Catenin expression in T1/2 carcinomas of the floor of the mouth. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005;34:907-11 pubmed..Loss of gamma-catenin expression indicated a reduced survival rate in nodal-negative tumours (P=0.02). Catenin expression in carcinomas of the floor of the mouth seems to be a predictive parameter in the prognosis of T1 and T2 SSCs. ..
- Zhao H, Liang Y, Xu Z, Wang L, Zhou F, Li Z, et al. N-glycosylation affects the adhesive function of E-Cadherin through modifying the composition of adherens junctions (AJs) in human breast carcinoma cell line MDA-MB-435. J Cell Biochem. 2008;104:162-75 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that N-glycosylation may affect the adhesive function of E-cadherin through modifying the composition of AJs. ..
- Ferenc T, Wroński J, Kopczynski J, Kulig A, Sidor M, Stalinska L, et al. Analysis of APC, alpha-, beta-catenins, and N-cadherin protein expression in aggressive fibromatosis (desmoid tumor). Pathol Res Pract. 2009;205:311-24 pubmed publisher..1). The results regarding beta-catenin expression obtained in our study confirm the previous findings that nuclear accumulation of this protein plays a crucial role in the pathogenesis of aggressive fibromatosis...
- Van den Bossche J, Bogaert P, van Hengel J, Guerin C, Berx G, Movahedi K, et al. Alternatively activated macrophages engage in homotypic and heterotypic interactions through IL-4 and polyamine-induced E-cadherin/catenin complexes. Blood. 2009;114:4664-74 pubmed publisher..This study identifies the E-cadherin/catenin complex as a discriminative, partly polyamine-regulated feature of IL-4/IL-13-exposed alternatively activated macrophages that contributes to homotypic and heterotypic cellular interactions. ..
- Noda K, Zhang J, Fukuhara S, Kunimoto S, Yoshimura M, Mochizuki N. Vascular endothelial-cadherin stabilizes at cell-cell junctions by anchoring to circumferential actin bundles through alpha- and beta-catenins in cyclic AMP-Epac-Rap1 signal-activated endothelial cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:584-96 pubmed publisher
- Tsang J, Mendoza P, Lam C, Yu A, Putti T, Karim R, et al. Involvement of ?- and ?-catenins and E-cadherin in the development of mammary phyllodes tumours. Histopathology. 2012;61:667-74 pubmed publisher..The correlation of ?-catenin expression with tumour recurrence may be relevant in predicting PT behaviour. ..
- Lewalle J, Bajou K, Desreux J, Mareel M, Dejana E, Noel A, et al. Alteration of interendothelial adherens junctions following tumor cell-endothelial cell interaction in vitro. Exp Cell Res. 1997;237:347-56 pubmed..Our data suggest that tumor cells modulate AJ protein distribution and phosphorylation in EC and may, thereby, facilitate EC dissociation. ..
- Klingelhofer J, Troyanovsky R, Laur O, Troyanovsky S. Amino-terminal domain of classic cadherins determines the specificity of the adhesive interactions. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 16):2829-36 pubmed..Thus, EC1 domain of classic cadherins exposes two determinants responsible for nonspecific lateral and cadherin type-specific adhesive dimerization. ..