Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ALOX5
Description: arachidonate 5-lipoxygenase
Alias: 5-LO, 5-LOX, 5LPG, LOG5, arachidonate 5-lipoxygenase, LOX-5, arachidonic 5-lipoxygenase alpha-10 isoform, arachidonic 5-lipoxygenase delta-10-13 isoform, arachidonic 5-lipoxygenase delta-13 isoform, arachidonic 5-lipoxygenase delta-p10 isoform, arachidonic acid 5-lipoxygenase, leukotriene A4 synthase
Publications254 found, 100 shown here
- Homology modeling of 5-lipoxygenase and hints for better inhibitor designP Aparoy
School of Life Sciences, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad, 500 046, India
J Comput Aided Mol Des 22:611-9. 2008..Our results correlated well with the experimental data reported earlier, which proved the quality of the model. This model generated can be further used for the design and development of more potent 5-LOX inhibitors...
- Use of simplified substrates for the study of 5-lipoxygenase from RBL-1 cellsJ F Nave
Merrell Dow Research Institute, Strasbourg, France
Prostaglandins 36:385-98. 1988..acid (5-HPETE), are not further processed into leukotrienes by the leukotriene A4 synthase activity of 5-lipoxygenase...
- Studies on the regulation and localization of 5-lipoxygenase in human B-lymphocytesP J Jakobsson
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Biochem 232:37-46. 1995..In contrast, neither human peripheral T-lymphocytes nor Jurkat cells were stained. These results suggest that 5-lipoxygenase and its products function in the nucleus of B-lymphocytes...
- Arachidonate 5-lipoxygenase promoter genotype, dietary arachidonic acid, and atherosclerosisJames H Dwyer
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, CA 91803 8000, USA
N Engl J Med 350:29-37. 2004....
- Regulation of COX and LOX by curcuminChinthalapally V Rao
Hematology Oncology Section, University of Oklahoma Cancer Institute, Oklahoma City 73104, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 595:213-26. 2007..In this review, we discuss evidence that supports the regulation of COX and LOX enzymes by curcumin as the key mechanism for its beneficial effects in preventing various inflammatory diseases...
- Pirinixic acid derivatives as novel dual inhibitors of microsomal prostaglandin E2 synthase-1 and 5-lipoxygenaseAndreas Koeberle
Department of Pharmaceutical Analytics, Pharmaceutical Institute, Eberhard Karls University Tuebingen, Auf der Morgenstelle 8, D 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
J Med Chem 51:8068-76. 2008..Taken together, these pirinixic acid derivatives constitute a novel class of dual mPGES-1/5-LO inhibitors with a promising pharmacological profile and a potential for therapeutic use...
- Cytotoxic effect of HIV-1 coat glycoprotein gp120 on human neuroblastoma CHP100 cells involves activation of the arachidonate cascadeM Maccarrone
Department of Experimental Medicine and Biochemical Sciences, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Via di Tor Vergata 135, I 00133 Rome, Italy
Biochem J 333:45-9. 1998..This suggests that NO might participate in the mechanism by which gp120 activates the arachidonate cascade...
- The expression of cyclooxygenase-1, cyclooxygenase-2 and 5-lipoxygenase in inflammatory muscle tissue of patients with polymyositis and dermatomyositisJ T Studýnková
Institute of Rheumatology, Prague, Czech Republic
Clin Exp Rheumatol 22:395-402. 2004....
- The long-term effect of Helicobacter pylori eradication on COX-1/2, 5-LOX and leukotriene receptors in patients with a risk gastritis phenotype--a link to gastric carcinogenesisMarino Venerito
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Infectious Diseases, Otto von Guericke University Hospital, Leipziger Str 44, D 39120 Magdeburg, Germany
Cancer Lett 270:218-28. 2008..These results suggest an involvement of the COX-LOX pathway in gastric carcinogenesis...
- Cloning of the cDNA for human 5-lipoxygenaseR A Dixon
Department of Virus, Merck Sharp and Dohme Research Laboratories, West Point, PA 19486
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 85:416-20. 1988..Thus, 5-LO appears to be a member of a larger family of related enzymes...
- Expression of 5-lipoxygenase in differentiating human skin keratinocytesU Janssen-Timmen
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Heidelberg, Medical School, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92:6966-70. 1995..These results show that 5-LO gene expression is an intrinsic property of human skin keratinocytes...
- 5-lipoxygenase and 5-lipoxygenase-activating protein are localized in the nuclear envelope of activated human leukocytesJ W Woods
Department of Biochemical and Molecular Pathology, Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, New Jersey 07065
J Exp Med 178:1935-46. 1993....
- Rapid import of cytosolic 5-lipoxygenase into the nucleus of neutrophils after in vivo recruitment and in vitro adherenceT G Brock
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0652, USA
J Biol Chem 272:8276-80. 1997..Nuclear import of 5-lipoxygenase may be a universal accompaniment of neutrophil recruitment into sites of inflammation, and this may be associated with alterations in enzymatic function...
- 5-Lipoxygenase expression in Langerhans cells of normal human epidermisR Spanbroek
Division of Carcinogenesis and Differentiation, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:663-8. 1998..These data show that naive LCs are major, and possibly the sole, 5-LO pathway expressing cells in the normal human epidermis...
- 5-Lipoxygenase and 5-lipoxygenase activating protein (FLAP) immunoreactivity in lungs from patients with primary pulmonary hypertensionL Wright
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver 80262, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 157:219-29. 1998....
- 5-Lipoxygenase and leukotriene B(4) receptor are expressed in human pancreatic cancers but not in pancreatic ducts in normal tissueRene Hennig
Department of Surgery, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Am J Pathol 161:421-8. 2002..These findings provide further evidence of up-regulation of this pathway in pancreatic cancer and that LOX inhibitors are likely to be valuable in the treatment of this dreadful disease...
- Promoter polymorphism in the 5-lipoxygenase (ALOX5) and 5-lipoxygenase-activating protein (ALOX5AP) genes and asthma susceptibility in a Caucasian populationI Sayers
Divisions of Human Genetics Infection, Inflammation and Repair, University of Southampton School of Medicine, Southampton General Hospital, Tremona Road, Southampton, UK
Clin Exp Allergy 33:1103-10. 2003..5-Lipoxygenase (5-LO) and 5-lipoxygenase-activating protein (FLAP) are essential for cysteinyl-leukotriene (cys-LT) production, critical mediators in asthma...
- Expression of lipoxygenase in human bladder carcinoma and growth inhibition by its inhibitorsRikio Yoshimura
Department of Urology, Osaka City University Medical School, 1 4 3 Asahi machi, Abenoku, Osaka 545 8585, Japan
J Urol 170:1994-9. 2003..They are now believed to have important roles in tumor promotion, progression and metastasis. The involvement of lipoxygenase expression and function in tumor growth and metastasis has been reported in human tumor cell lines...
- Leukotriene-related gene polymorphisms in ASA-intolerant asthma: an association with a haplotype of 5-lipoxygenaseJeong Hee Choi
Department of Allergy and Rheumatology, Ajou University Hospital, Ajou, Republic of Korea
Hum Genet 114:337-44. 2004..The single-base extension method was used to genotype SNPs in 5-lipoxygenase (ALOX5, -1708G-->A, 21C-->T, 270G-->A, 1728G-->A), ALOX5-activating protein (ALOX5AP, 218A-->G), ..
- Relationship between lipoxygenase and human testicular cancerRikio Yoshimura
Department of Urology, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, Abeno Ku, Osaka 545 8585, Japan
Int J Mol Med 13:389-93. 2004..The LOX inhibitors inhibited the growth of TC cells. LOX is induced in TC, and results may suggest that LOXs are essential for cell growth of TC cells...
- Association between 5-lipoxygenase expression and plaque instability in humansFrancesco Cipollone
Atherosclerosis Prevention Center, G D Annunzio University of Chieti, Chieti, Italy
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25:1665-70. 2005..Thus, the aims of this study was to analyze the expression of 5-LO in human carotid plaques and to investigate the mechanism by which this enzyme could lead to plaque instability and rupture...
- Caspase-mediated degradation of human 5-lipoxygenase in B lymphocytic cellsOliver Werz
Institutes of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Organic Chemistry, University of Frankfurt, Marie Curie Strasse 9, D 60439 Frankfurt, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:13164-9. 2005..We suggest that splitting of BL41-E95-A cells induces de novo synthesis of a protein involved in the activation of casp-6, which cleaves 5-LO...
- Expression of 5-lipoxygenase and leukotriene A4 hydrolase in human atherosclerotic lesions correlates with symptoms of plaque instabilityHong Qiu
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Division of Chemistry II, Karolinska Institutet, S 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:8161-6. 2006..The abundant expression of LTA4H and correlation with plaque instability identify LTA4H as a potential target for pharmacological intervention in treatment of human atherosclerosis...
- The coding sequence mediates induction of 5-lipoxygenase expression by Smads3/4Sabine Seuter
Institute of Pharmaceutical Chemistry ZAFES, University of Frankfurt, Max von Laue Str 9, D 60438 Frankfurt, Germany
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 348:1403-10. 2006..Sequence analysis and deletion studies indicate the existence of up to four Smad binding elements and at least one TGFbeta responsive element far downstream of the transcriptional start site...
- Coactosin-like protein supports 5-lipoxygenase enzyme activity and up-regulates leukotriene A4 productionMarija Rakonjac
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Division of Physiological Chemistry II, Karolinska Institutet, S 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:13150-5. 2006..Furthermore, in stimulated cells, CLP appears to function in a complex together with 5LO and membranes, increasing the capacity of 5LO for leukotriene biosynthesis...
- Expanding expression of the 5-lipoxygenase/leukotriene B4 pathway in atherosclerotic lesions of diabetic patients promotes plaque instabilityYi Jun Zhou
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Fourth Affiliated Hospital, China Medical University, Shenyang 110032, PR China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 363:30-6. 2007..Hence, anti-LTs may be useful, not only in reducing atherogenesis, but also in the prevention and treatment of acute atherothrombotic events in diabetic patients...
- The histone deacetylase inhibitor trichostatin A mediates upregulation of 5-lipoxygenase promoter activity by recruitment of Sp1 to distinct GC-boxesNicole Schnur
Institute of Pharmaceutical Chemistry ZAFES, University of Frankfurt, Max von Laue Str 9, D 60438 Frankfurt, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1771:1271-82. 2007..This is the first report demonstrating that Sp3 is involved in the regulation of 5-LO promoter activity. In summary, we show that TsA increases 5-LO promoter activity by the enhanced recruitment of Sp1 and Sp3 to the 5-LO promoter...
- Nutrigenetic association of the 5-lipoxygenase gene with myocardial infarctionHooman Allayee
Department of Preventive Medicine and the Institute for Genetic Medicine, The University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90089 9075, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 88:934-40. 2008..We previously reported that variants of a 5-LO promoter repeat polymorphism were associated with carotid atherosclerosis in humans, an effect that was exacerbated by high dietary AA but mitigated by high dietary n-3 fatty acids...
- Overexpression of 5-lipoxygenase in colon polyps and cancer and the effect of 5-LOX inhibitors in vitro and in a murine modelLaleh G Melstrom
Department of Surgery and Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Clin Cancer Res 14:6525-30. 2008..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the expression of 5-LOX in colonic polyps and cancer and the effect of 5-LOX inhibition on colon cancer cell proliferation...
- High expression of 5-lipoxygenase in normal and malignant mantle zone B lymphocytesYilmaz Mahshid
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
BMC Immunol 10:2. 2009..In order to better understand and define the role of 5-LO in B cells, we investigated the expression of 5-LO mRNA and protein in subsets of B cells from human tonsils and different types of B cell lymphoma...
- Expression of 5-lipoxygenase and 15-lipoxygenase in rheumatoid arthritis synovium and effects of intraarticular glucocorticoidsKarina Roxana Gheorghe
Department of Biosciences and Nutrition, Novum, Karolinska Institute, SE 141 57 Huddinge, Sweden
Arthritis Res Ther 11:R83. 2009..We therefore aimed to investigate the 5-LO and 15-LO-1 expression pattern in RA and ostheoarthritis (OA) synovial tissue and to study the effect of intraarticular glucocorticoid (GC) therapy on enzyme expression...
- A mutant of hepatitis B virus X protein (HBxDelta127) promotes cell growth through a positive feedback loop involving 5-lipoxygenase and fatty acid synthaseQi Wang
Department of Cancer Research, Key Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology and Technology of Ministry of Education, Institute for Molecular Biology, College of Life Sciences, Nankai University, Tianjin, PR China
Neoplasia 12:103-15. 2010..Thus, our finding provides a new insight into the mechanism involving the promotion of cell growth mediated by HBxDelta127...
- Novel 5-lipoxygenase isoforms affect the biosynthesis of 5-lipoxygenase productsLuc H Boudreau
Département de Chimie et Biochimie Université de Moncton, Moncton, NB, E1A 3E9, Canada
FASEB J 25:1097-105. 2011..These alternative 5-LO isoforms may represent a new mechanism for the regulation of the 5-LO pathway and lipid mediator biosynthesis...
- 5-Lipoxygenase plays a pivotal role in endothelial adhesion of monocytes via an increased expression of Mac-1Seung Jin Lee
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Pusan National University, Yangsan, Gyeongnam, Korea
Cardiovasc Res 99:724-33. 2013....
- Expression of 5-lipoxygenase in human colorectal cancerLabile Togba Soumaoro
Department of Surgical Oncology, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo 113 8519, Japan
World J Gastroenterol 12:6355-60. 2006..To evaluate the 5-lipoxygenases (Loxs) expression level in human colorectal cancer specimens in order to determine its clinicopathologic significance in human tumorigenesis...
- Cholesterol-dependent modulation of the toxicity of HIV-1 coat protein gp120 in human neuroblastoma cellsMauro Maccarrone
Department of Experimental Medicine and Biochemical Sciences, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
J Neurochem 82:1444-52. 2002..Taken together, these results suggest that membrane fluidity may control the neurotoxic effects of HIV-1 glycoprotein gp120...
- Formation of a cyclopropyl epoxide via a leukotriene A synthase-related pathway in an anaerobic reaction of soybean lipoxygenase-1 with 15S-hydroperoxyeicosatetraenoic acid: evidence that oxygen access is a determinant of secondary reactions with fatty acYuxiang Zheng
Department of Pharmacology and the Vanderbilt Institute of Chemical Biology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
J Biol Chem 285:13427-36. 2010..Our results support a model in which access to molecular oxygen within the active site directs the outcome from competing pathways in the secondary reactions of lipoxygenases...
- Modulation of human marrow haematopoiesis by leucotrienes in vitroZ Estrov
Division of Haematology Oncology, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada
Br J Haematol 69:321-7. 1988..Our studies show that the 5-LO pathway is functional in these culture systems and yields products with inhibitory properties. The 5-LO pathway may have an important regulatory function in normal marrow haematopoiesis...
- 12-Lipoxygenase from bovine polymorphonuclear leukocytes, an enzyme with leukotriene A4-synthase activityP Walstra
Department of Bio Organic Chemistry, State University of Utrecht, The Netherlands
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 149:258-65. 1987..Hence, the 12-lipoxygenase from bovine polymorphonuclear leukocytes possesses leukotriene A4-synthase activity...
- Cardioprotective effect of 5-lipoxygenase gene (ALOX5) silencing in ischemia-reperfusionOleksandr O Lisovyy
Department of General and Molecular Pathophysiology, Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology, Kiev, Ukraine
Acta Biochim Pol 56:687-94. 2009..Therefore, the gene encoding arachidonate 5-lipoxygenase (ALOX5) appears to be an attractive target for RNA interference (RNAi) application...
- Loss of the Alox5 gene impairs leukemia stem cells and prevents chronic myeloid leukemiaYaoyu Chen
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA, USA
Nat Genet 41:783-92. 2009..Here we identify the arachidonate 5-lipoxygenase (5-LO) gene (Alox5) as a critical regulator for leukemia stem cells (LSCs) in BCR-ABL-induced chronic myeloid leukemia (CML)...
- Expression of 5-oxoETE receptor in prostate cancer cells: critical role in survivalSathish Sundaram
Department of Urology, Vattikuti Urology Institute, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 339:93-8. 2006....
- Isocratic determination of arachidonic acid 5-lipoxygenase products in human neutrophils by high-performance liquid chromatographyH Mita
Clinical Research Centre for Rheumato Allergology, National Sagamihara Hospital, Kanagawa, Japan
J Chromatogr 430:299-308. 1988..The generation and degradation of 5-lipoxygenase products by human neutrophils following stimulation with calcium ionophore have been examined by this method...
- Biosynthesis of peptidyl leukotrienes and other lipoxygenase products by rat pancreatic islets. Comparison with macrophages and neutrophilsR O Morgan
Department of Pharmacology, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond 23298
Prostaglandins 35:609-23. 1988..The stimulus-specific nature of leukotriene biosynthesis was characterized by low basal biosynthesis in unstimulated islet cells with a calcium-mediated activation of 5-lipoxygenase product formation...
- Pharmacological evaluation of Alstonia scholaris: anti-inflammatory and analgesic effectsJian Hua Shang
Yunnan Institute of Medical Material, Kunming, PR China
J Ethnopharmacol 129:174-81. 2010..The leaf extract, developed as a commercially available traditional Chinese medicine, used to release tracheitis and cold symptom, has also been prescribed in hospitals and sold over the counter in drug stores...
- Regulation of the expression of 5-lipoxygenase-activating protein/5-lipoxygenase and the synthesis of leukotriene B(4) in osteoarthritic chondrocytes: role of transforming growth factor beta and eicosanoidsJohanne Martel-Pelletier
Osteoarthritis Research Unit, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Hopital Notre Dame, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Arthritis Rheum 50:3925-33. 2004....
- Evidence that 5-lipoxygenase and acetylated cyclooxygenase 2-derived eicosanoids regulate leukocyte-endothelial adherence in response to aspirinStefano Fiorucci
Clinica di Gastroenterologia ed Epatologia, Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica e Sperimentale, Universita degli Studi di Perugia, Perugia, Italy
Br J Pharmacol 139:1351-9. 2003....
- Tetrahydrofurandiol stimulation of phospholipase A2, lipoxygenase, and cyclooxygenase gene expression and MCF-7 human breast cancer cell proliferationBarry M Markaverich
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor Colloege of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Environ Health Perspect 115:1727-31. 2007..Synthetic THF-diols inhibited rat male and female sexual behavior at oral concentrations of 0.5-1 ppm, and stimulated MCF-7 human breast cancer cell proliferation in vitro...
- Synthesis and biological evaluation of 1-(benzenesulfonamido)-2-[5-(N-hydroxypyridin-2(1H)-one)]acetylene regioisomers: a novel class of 5-lipoxygenase inhibitorsMorshed Alam Chowdhury
Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alta, Canada T6G 2N8
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 18:4195-8. 2008..4 mg/kg). The N-hydroxypyridin-2(1H)one moiety provides a novel pharmacophore for the design of cyclic hydroxamic mimetics capable of chelating 5-LOX iron for exploitation in the design of 5-LOX inhibitory AI drugs...
- [Partially hydrogenated aryl-1,2/1,4-anthraquinone derivatives, 5-lipoxygenase inhibitors with arotinoid structure]G Wurm
Institut fur Pharmazie, Freien Universitat Berlin, Germany
Pharmazie 56:527-33. 2001..All compounds are devoid of any activity in cell differentiation as compared to retinoic acid as indicated by the NBT test with HL-60 leukemia cells...
- Flavocoxid, a dual inhibitor of cyclooxygenase and 5-lipoxygenase, blunts pro-inflammatory phenotype activation in endotoxin-stimulated macrophagesD Altavilla
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Messina, Messina, Italy
Br J Pharmacol 157:1410-8. 2009..The anti-inflammatory activity, measured by protein and gene expression of inflammatory markers, of flavocoxid in rat peritoneal macrophages stimulated with Salmonella enteritidis lipopolysaccharide (LPS) was investigated...
- Leukotriene B4/leukotriene B4 receptor pathway is involved in hepatic microcirculatory dysfunction elicited by endotoxinSohei Ito
Department of Pharmacology, Kitasato University of Medicine, Kanagawa, Japan
Shock 30:87-91. 2008..These findings suggest that the LTB4/BLT1 pathway mediates hepatic microcirculatory dysfunction by enhanced expression of ICAM-1 and TNF-[alpha] in a murine model of endotoxemia...
- Licofelone, a novel 5-LOX/COX-inhibitor, attenuates leukocyte rolling and adhesion on endothelium under flowH Ulbrich
Karolinska Institute, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Von Eulers Vag 8, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Biochem Pharmacol 70:30-6. 2005..Thus, the novel 5-LOX/COX inhibitor licofelone possesses anti-inflammatory activity that, in addition to COX/LOX inhibition, involves effects on leukocyte-endothelial interactions...
- 5-LOX, 12-LOX and 15-LOX in immature forms of human leukemic blastsChristelle Vincent
Universite de Limoges, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, CNRS UMR 6101, Faculte de Medecine, 2 rue Dr Marcland, 87025 Limoges, France
Leuk Res 32:1756-62. 2008..We may speculate that LTB(4)-derived blast cells might initiate, augment or prolong tissue inflammation and damages by affecting the marrow and blood cytokine network...
- Pathogenic importance of cysteinyl leukotrienes in development of gastric lesions induced by ischemia/reperfusion in miceYuka Nakamori
Division of Pathological Sciences, Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, Misasagi, Yamashina, Kyoto 607 8414, Japan
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 333:91-8. 2010....
- Synthesis and evaluation of benzoxazole derivatives as 5-lipoxygenase inhibitorsHyunmin Song
School of Pharmacy, Ewha Womans University, Seoul 120 750, Republic of Korea
Bioorg Med Chem 18:7580-5. 2010..Fourteen compounds prepared showed the inhibition of LTC4 formation with IC(50) value of 0.12-23.88 μM. Also two compounds 2d and 2g showed improved airway hypersensitiveness...
- Dual acting anti-inflammatory drugsS Leone
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Curr Top Med Chem 7:265-75. 2007..Leukocyte 15-LOX and platelet 12-LOX by intercellular mechanism via leukocyte/platelet cell-cell interaction convert 15-HPETE into lipoxins...
- Pharmacophore modeling and virtual screening for designing potential 5-lipoxygenase inhibitorsP Aparoy
School of Life Sciences, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad 500 046, India
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 20:1013-8. 2010..These studies thus validate the pharmacophore model generated and suggest the usefulness of the model in screening of various small molecule libraries and identification of potential lead compounds for 5-LOX inhibition...
- Gene expression of 5-, 12-, and 15-lipoxygenases and leukotriene receptors along the rat nephronStephan W Reinhold
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Innere Medizin II, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 290:F864-72. 2006..Our data suggest that the glomerulus is a major source and target for 5- and 12-HETE and for leukotrienes. The collecting duct system, on the other hand, appears to be a major source of 15-HETE...
- Mechanisms involved in the cell cycle and apoptosis of HT-29 cells pre-treated with MK-886 prior to photodynamic therapy with hypericinJán Kleban
Institute of Biology and Ecology, Faculty of Sciences, P J Safarik University, Moyzesova 11, 041 65 Kosice, Slovakia
J Photochem Photobiol B 93:108-18. 2008..Interestingly, pre-treatment with MK-886 modulated distribution of ROS production in mutual combination with PDT...
- CoMFA and CoMSIA studies on 5-hydroxyindole-3-carboxylate derivatives as 5-lipoxygenase inhibitors: generation of homology model and docking studiesP Aparoy
School of Life Sciences, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad 500 046, India
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 21:456-62. 2011..The 3D-QSAR models were compared with the interactions at the active site to further elucidate the accuracy of the models. The data generated from 3D-QSAR study was used to design potential 5-LOX inhibitors...
- Dual inhibition of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) and 5-lipoxygenase (5-LOX) as a new strategy to provide safer non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugsCaroline Charlier
Lab de Chimie Moléculaire Structurale, Facultes Universitaires N D de la Paix, Rue de Bruxelles 61, B 5000, Namur, Belgium
Eur J Med Chem 38:645-59. 2003..In this review, COX and 5-LOX pathways are first described in order to highlight the therapeutic interest of designing such compounds. Various structural families of dual inhibitors are illustrated...
- Antitumor effects of lipoxygenase inhibitors on murine bladder cancer cell line (MBT-2)Shinichi Ikemoto
Department of Urology, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Anticancer Res 24:733-6. 2004..In an in vivo experiment, the antitumor effects of baicalein administration on C3H/HeN mice implanted with MBT-2 were recognized. These results suggested that LOX inhibition may be significant in the treatment of bladder cancer...
- A cell-based assay for screening lipoxygenase inhibitorsDileep G Nair
Department of Physiology and Biochemistry, Queen s University, Kingston, ON, Canada
Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat 90:98-104. 2009....
- 5-lipoxygenase and cyclooxygenase regulate wound closure in NIH/3T3 fibroblast monolayersJ Angelo Green
Program in Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Amherst, MA 01003, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 287:C373-83. 2004..These data suggest that two competing oxidative enzymes in arachidonate metabolism, LOX and COX, differentially regulate sequential aspects of fibroblast wound closure in vitro...
- Anti-inflammatory activity of myricetin-3-O-beta-D-glucuronide and related compoundsA Hiermann
Institute of Pharmacognosy, University of Graz, Austria
Inflamm Res 47:421-7. 1998..The anti-inflammatory effect of myricetinglucuronide (MGL) was investigated and structurally-related compounds were compared to examine the structure/activity-relationship in carrageenan-induced rat paw edema...
- Effects of celecoxib and nordihydroguaiaretic acid on puromycin aminonucleoside-induced nephrosis in the ratDong Won Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Pusan National University School of Medicine, Seo Gu, Busan, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 24:S183-8. 2009..The present study suggested that celecoxib and NDGA might effectively reduce proteinuria in nephrotic syndrome without impairing renal function...
- Dual inhibition of 5-lipoxygenase/cyclooxygenase by a reconstituted homeopathic remedy; possible explanation for clinical efficacy and favourable gastrointestinal tolerabilityR Jaggi
VitaPlant AG, Benkenstrasse 254, 4108 Witterswil, Switzerland
Inflamm Res 53:150-7. 2004..N and its constituents, the inhibition of the synthesis of Leukotriene B4 (LTB4) and Prostaglandin (PGE2) by 5-lipoxygenase (5-LOX) and cyclo-oxygenase 1 and 2 (COX 1 and 2) respectively were examined in vitro...
- Modulation of hypericin photodynamic therapy by pretreatment with 12 various inhibitors of arachidonic acid metabolism in colon adenocarcinoma HT-29 cellsJán Kleban
Institute of Biology and Ecology, Faculty of Sciences, P J Safarik University, Kosice, Slovakia
Photochem Photobiol 83:1174-85. 2007..In conclusion, our results testify that application of diverse inhibitors of AA metabolism may have different consequences on cellular response to hypericin-mediated PDT and that some of them could be considered for potentiation of PDT...
- [Inhibiting cyclooxygenase and 5-lipoxygenase activities is an anti-inflammatory mechanism of Huzhang Gout Granule]Yi Fei Wang
Gout Clinic, Yueyang Hospital of Integrated Traditional Chinese and Western Medicine, Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shanghai 200437, China
Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao 7:963-8. 2009....
- Phenylpropanoid glycosides from Scrophularia scorodonia: in vitro anti-inflammatory activityAna María Díaz
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University Alcala, Alcala de Henares, 28871 Madrid, Spain
Life Sci 74:2515-26. 2004..These results indicate that the pharmacology of these compounds may participate in the anti-inflammatory effect of Scrophularia scorodonia...
- A medicinal extract of Scutellaria baicalensis and Acacia catechu acts as a dual inhibitor of cyclooxygenase and 5-lipoxygenase to reduce inflammationB P Burnett
Primus Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Scottsdale, AZ 85251, USA
J Med Food 10:442-51. 2007..These results suggest that this natural, flavonoid mixture acts via "dual inhibition" of COX and LOX enzymes to reduce production of pro-inflammatory eicosanoids and attenuate edema in an in vivo model of inflammation...
- Prevalence of common disease-associated variants in Asian IndiansTrevor J Pemberton
Institute for Genetic Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
BMC Genet 9:13. 2008....
- Design, synthesis and pharmacological evaluation of novel tetrasubstituted thiophene analogues as anti-inflammatory agentsKhurshid I Molvi
School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Jimma University, Jimma, Ethiopia
J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem 23:819-28. 2008....
- Synthesis and biological evaluation of salicylic acid and N-acetyl-2-carboxybenzenesulfonamide regioisomers possessing a N-difluoromethyl-1,2-dihydropyrid-2-one pharmacophore: dual inhibitors of cyclooxygenases and 5-lipoxygenase with anti-inflammatory acMorshed A Chowdhury
Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alta, Canada T6G 2N8
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 19:6855-61. 2009..The N-difluoromethyl-1,2-dihydropyridin-2-one moiety provides a novel 5-LOX pharmacophore for the design of cyclic hydroxamic mimetics for exploitation in the development of dual COX-2/5-LOX inhibitory AI drugs...
- Design, synthesis, and biological evaluation of prenylated chalcones as 5-LOX inhibitorsNimmanapalli P Reddy
School of Life Sciences, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad, India
Bioorg Med Chem 18:5807-15. 2010..Further, the compound 5e showed potent anti-proliferative effects (GI(50) at 9 microM) on breast cancer cell line, MCF-7...
- Reduction of the multiple organ injury and dysfunction caused by endotoxemia in 5-lipoxygenase knockout mice and by the 5-lipoxygenase inhibitor zileutonMarika Collin
Centre for Experimental Medicine, Nephrology and Critical Care, The William Harvey Research Institute, Queen Mary, University of London, UK
J Leukoc Biol 76:961-70. 2004....
- The in vitro biological activity of selected South African Commiphora speciesM P Paraskeva
Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, 7 York Road, Parktown 2193, South Africa
J Ethnopharmacol 119:673-9. 2008..55+/-2.01 and 71.45+/-1.24 microg/ml. The majority of the Commiphora extracts were largely non-cytotoxic against Graham human kidney epithelial cells when investigated in the MTT assay...
- Inhibition of COXs and 5-LOX and activation of PPARs by Australian Clematis species (Ranunculaceae)Rachel W Li
Australian Centre for Complementary Medicine Education and Research, A Joint Venture of the University of Queensland and Southern Cross University, P O Box 157, Lismore, NSW 2480, Australia
J Ethnopharmacol 104:138-43. 2006..5, 101.2 and 29.3 microg/mL. One of its fractions also significantly elevated PPARalpha expression by 173, 280 and 435% and PPARgamma expression by 140, 228 and 296% at 4, 8 and 16 microg/mL, respectively...
- 5-lipoxygenase-inhibitory constituents from Schizandra fructus and Magnolia flosHyun Lim
College of Pharmacy, Kangwon National University, Chunchon, Korea
Phytother Res 23:1489-92. 2009..These compounds have the potential to be developed as novel antiallergic agents and may contribute to the antiallergic pharmacological use of these plant materials in Chinese medicine...
- Minocycline inhibits 5-lipoxygenase expression and accelerates functional recovery in chronic phase of focal cerebral ischemia in ratsLi Sheng Chu
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, 388 Yuhangtang Road, Hangzhou, 310058, Zhejiang, PR China
Life Sci 86:170-7. 2010..Here, we determined the protective effect of minocycline on chronic ischemic brain injury and its relation with the inhibition of 5-LOX expression after focal cerebral ischemia...
- Conjugated linoleic acids (CLAs) decrease prostate cancer cell proliferation: different molecular mechanisms for cis-9, trans-11 and trans-10, cis-12 isomersJulio J Ochoa
Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology, Department of Physiology, University of Granada, C Ramon y Cajal 4, 18071, Granada, Spain
Carcinogenesis 25:1185-91. 2004..Trans-10, cis-12 seems to work preferentially through modulation of apoptosis and cell cycle control, while c9,t11 CLA isomer affects arachidonic acid metabolism...
- Non-prostaglandin eicosanoids in fever and anapyrexiaWieslaw Kozak
Department of Immunology, Institute of General and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Biology and Earth Sciences, Nicolas Copernicus University, 87 100 Torun, Poland
Front Biosci 9:3339-55. 2004..COX, 5-LOX, and epoxygenase products may act at the level of hypothalamus as proximal mediators of, respectively, fever (PGE2) or cryogenesis (CysLTs and EETs), or indirectly by influencing the other endogenous cryogens and pyrogens...
- IL-15 mediates antigen-induced neutrophil migration by triggering IL-18 productionWaldiceu A Verri
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Eur J Immunol 37:3373-80. 2007....
- Cyclooxygenase-2 and 5-lipoxygenase pathways in diosgenin-induced apoptosis in HT-29 and HCT-116 colon cancer cellsClemence Lepage
Universite de Limoges, Institut GEIST, EA 4021, Biomolécules et thérapies anti tumorales, Laboratoire de Biochimie, 87025 Limoges Cedex, France
Int J Oncol 36:1183-91. 2010....
- Genes involved in the metabolism of poly-unsaturated fatty-acids (PUFA) and risk for Crohn's disease in children & young adultsIrina Costea
Public Health Agency of Canada, Montreal, Canada
PLoS ONE 5:e15672. 2010..We hypothesized that inherited variation in key PUFA metabolic enzymes may modify susceptibility for CD...
- The role of arachidonic acid and its metabolites in insulin secretion from human islets of langerhansShanta J Persaud
Beta Cell Development and Function Group, Division of Reproductive Health, Endocrinology, and Development, King s College London, UK
Diabetes 56:197-203. 2007....
- The molecular biology and regulation of 5-lipoxygenaseO P Rådmark
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 161:S11-5. 2000
- Toxicity of human monocytic THP-1 cells and microglia toward SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cells is reduced by inhibitors of 5-lipoxygenase and its activating protein FLAPAndis Klegeris
Kinsmen Laboratory of Neurological Research, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
J Leukoc Biol 73:369-78. 2003..The data suggest that inhibition of proinflammatory LT production by 5-LOX inhibition could selectively reduce toxicity of microglial cells and thus be beneficial in neuroinflammatory diseases...
- Anti-inflammatory activity of four Bolivian Baccharis species (Compositae)M J Abad
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University Complutense, Madrid, Spain
J Ethnopharmacol 103:338-44. 2006..Most of the extracts tested were active in all assays...
- Baicalin attenuates oxygen-glucose deprivation-induced injury via inhibiting NMDA receptor-mediated 5-lipoxygenase activation in rat cortical neuronsQiu Fu Ge
Department of Pharmacology, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, 388, Yu Hang Tang Road, Hangzhou 310058, China
Pharmacol Res 55:148-57. 2007..These results indicate that baicalin attenuates ischemic-like injury in the neurons, and this effect partly relates to the inhibition of NMDA receptor-mediated 5-LOX activation...
- Expression of 5-lipoxygenase (5-LOX) in T lymphocytesJeanne M Cook-Moreau
Laboratoire de Biochimie et Genetique Moleculaire, Faculte de Medecine, Limoges, France
Immunology 122:157-66. 2007..The presence of 5-LOX in T lymphocytes but the absence of endogenous lipoxygenase metabolite production compared to Jurkat cells may constitute a fundamental difference between resting peripheral lymphocytes and leukaemic cells...
- Influence of phenolic constituents from Yucca schidigera bark on arachidonate metabolism in vitroEva M Wenzig
Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Department of Pharmacognosy, University of Graz, Universitaetsplatz 4, 8010 Graz, Austria
J Agric Food Chem 56:8885-90. 2008..The inhibitory activity on key enzymes of arachidonate metabolism observed in this study might contribute to the explanation of the anti-inflammatory and antiplatelet effects observed for Y. schidigera and its phenolic constituents...
- Minocycline increases phosphorylation and membrane insertion of neuronal GluR1 receptorsMarta Imbesi
The Psychiatric Institute, Department of Psychiatry, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Neurosci Lett 447:134-7. 2008..Increased GluR1 phosphorylation and minocycline treatment have been associated with antidepressant and memory-enhancing activities. Direct consequences of minocycline-increased GluR1 phosphorylation are yet to be established...
- The anti-inflammatory pharmacology of Pycnogenol in humans involves COX-2 and 5-LOX mRNA expression in leukocytesRaffaella Canali
National Research Institute for Food and Nutrition, Rome, Italy
Int Immunopharmacol 9:1145-9. 2009..Here we show for the first time that Pycnogenol supplementation simultaneously inhibits COX-2 and 5-LOX gene expression and reduces leukotriene biosynthesis in human PMNL upon pro-inflammatory stimulation ex vivo...
- Human lipoxygenase pathway gene variation and association with markers of subclinical atherosclerosis in the diabetes heart studyKathryn P Burdon
Department of Biochemistry, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Mediators Inflamm 2010:170153. 2010Genes of the 5-lipoxygenase pathway are compelling candidates for atherosclerosis. We hypothesize that polymorphisms in ALOX12, ALOX15, ALOX5, and ALOX5AP genes are associated with subclinical atherosclerosis in multiple vascular beds.
- Synthesis and biological evaluation of 2,5-disubstituted 1,3,4-oxadiazole derivatives with both COX and LOX inhibitory activityMymoona Akhter
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi, India
J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem 26:767-76. 2011..Study revealed that these derivatives were more effective than ibuprofen with reduced side effects. It can be suggested that these derivatives could be used to develop more potent and safer NSAIDs...
- Effects of typheramide and alfrutamide found in Allium species on cyclooxygenases and lipoxygenasesJae B Park
Diet, Genomics, and Immunology Laboratory, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, U S Department of Agriculture, Beltsville, Maryland 20705, USA
J Med Food 14:226-31. 2011..Altogether, the data suggest that typheramide and alfrutamide from garlic and green onions are likely to be significant inhibitors for COX 1 and 2 rather than 5- and 12-LOX...
- Syntheses and characterization of nimesulide derivatives for dual enzyme inhibitors of both cyclooxygenase-1/2 and 5-lipoxygenaseYue Li
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510006, People s Republic of China
Bioorg Med Chem 19:2074-83. 2011..Its binding conformation and interaction mode were studied with molecular docking experiments. Compound 20f could become a lead compound for further development for potential anti-inflammatory drugs...
- [Cyclooxygenases inhibitors and other compounds with antiinflammatory potential in osteoarthrosis--part I]Małgorzata Dzielska-Olczak
Uniwersytet Medyczny w Łodzi, Zakład Farmakologii Katedry Farmakologii i Farmakologii Klinicznej
Pol Merkur Lekarski 30:75-81. 2011..Licofelone decreases the production of proinflammatory leucotrienes and prostaglandins. Moreover inhibition of 5-lipooxygenase activity can delay of cartilago degradation...
- A Promoter polymorphism (rs17222919, -1316T/G) of ALOX5AP is associated with intracerebral hemorrhage in Korean populationDong Hwan Kim
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 85:115-20. 2011..ischemic stroke (IS), seven SNPs in the coding or promoter regions were selected: ALOX12 (rs434473, Asn322Ser), ALOX5 (rs2228064, Thr90Thr), ALOX5AP (rs17222919, -1316T/G), PTGES (rs7872802, -404A/G), PTGIS (rs5628, Leu256Leu), ..
- Sex Differences in Opioid AnalgesiaAnne Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2006..In summary, these studies will establish that the intrinsic and extrinsic circuitry of the PAG is sexually dimorphic and provide the neural substrate for sex based differences in opioid analgesia. ..
- Variation in the ALOX5 gene and response to omega-3 fatty acid supplementsCharles Stephensen; Fiscal Year: 2007..recent observational data indicates that subjects with a variant allele for the arachidonate 5-lipoxygenase gene (ALOX5) may be at greater risk for cardiovascular disease and, at the same time, may derive a greater benefit from omega-..
- HIV-induced 5-Lipoxygenase: Role in HIV-related Pulmonary Arterial HypertensionKRISTI MICHELLE PORTER; Fiscal Year: 2010..Moreover, these studies may elucidate ALOX5 expression as a potential biomarker of HIV-PAH disease development and severity...
- Identification of novel target genes for polycythemia vera (PV)Shaoguang Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..in CML, and we show that the survival and self-renewal of LSCs require the arachidonate 5- lipoxygenase gene (Alox5) and that Alox5 is essential for CML development (Chen et al...
- NOVEL THERAPEUTIC AGENTS FOR MYOCARDIAL INFARCTIONRobert Zipkin; Fiscal Year: 1990..The compounds developed in these studies will greatly increase our knowledge of the structure-activity relationships for LTB4 receptor ligands which may lead to the discovery of novel therapeutic agents...
- Charles R Sanders; Fiscal Year: 2016..Specific Aim 2b will elucidate the chemistry, kinetics, and divalent metal ion-dependence of the FosB enzymes with both BSH and the alternative substrate L-Cys. ..
- Marcia E Newcomer; Fiscal Year: 2014..The proposed studies will provide both structural and mechanistic information for this key enzyme. ..
- Claus Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2015..Novel therapeutic applications of available anti- inflammatory medications are imminent. ..
- The Role of a Novel Vitamin E Metabolite in Colon Cancer Prevention and TherapyQing Jiang; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Anti-inflammatory mechanisms, pharmacokinetics of novel metabolites of vitamin EQing Jiang; Fiscal Year: 2012..The proposed studies will elucidate mechanisms of anti-inflammatory action and generate important preclinical data that are needed to insure maximally informative clinical efficacy studies on these compounds. ..
- Gabrielle Fredman; Fiscal Year: 2014..An advisory committee of established scientists/mentors in the fields of resolution, CVD and translational science will guide the candidate in her transition to scientific independence over the course of the award period. ..
- Jagadananda Ghosh; Fiscal Year: 2014....
- Arun J Sanyal; Fiscal Year: 2015..When these studies are completed, novel information on how alcohol intake modifies systemic LOX activity and the role of such changes in driving liver disease will be obtained. ..
- Behavioral consequences of 5-lipoxygenase deficiencyRadmila Manev; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Use or Metabolomic Markers of Response to Fish Oil Supplementation to Identify EfCHARLES BOLT STEPHENSEN; Fiscal Year: 2011..provided by applicant): We recently completed an NCCAM-funded R21 clinical trial entitled "Variation in the ALOX5 gene and response to omega-3 fatty acid supplements" (R21 AT003411, C. Stephensen, PI;ClinicalTrials...
- Type II 11B-Hydroxysteroid Dehydrogenase and Colorectal TumorigenesisMingzhi Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Soluble epoxide hydrolase as a novel target of colitis-induced carcinogenesisGuang Yu Yang; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Gamma-tocopherol as an effective anticancer agent for colon cancerQing Jiang; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies will also provide biochemical mechanisms and important preclinical data for future human clinical studies. ..
- Jason E Lang; Fiscal Year: 2014..There exists evidence that omega-3 fatty acid response displays a pharmacogenetic response related to ALOX5 genotype. Dr...
- Lysyl Oxidase Control of TGF-? in BoneMitsuo Yamauchi; Fiscal Year: 2010..In the E18.5 LOX-null bone, the TGF-[unreadable]1 signaling was enhanced, collagen matrix was disorganized and craniofacial bone ..
- Bjoern Bauer; Fiscal Year: 2016..The proposed research is translational because cPLA2 inhibitors are under development, and our strategy has potential to be translated into the clinic. ..
- Oxidative Stress, DNA Repair & Colorectal Adenoma RiskMichael Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2009..The resulting data will be analyzed using multivariate unconditional logistic regression models. Particular attention will be paid to identification of potential gene- gene, gene-lifestyle, and gene-phenotype interactions. ..
- Aspirin pharmacogenetics in the Aspirin/Folate Polyp Prevention TrialKAREN MAKAR; Fiscal Year: 2009..involved in 1) prostaglandin synthesis: COX-1, prostacyclin synthase (PGIS), and arachidonate lipoxygenase-5 (ALOX5);2) prostaglandin transport: multidrug resistance protein 4 (MRP4);and 3) aspirin metabolism: CYP2C9 and UGT1A6...
- Hormone-induced inflammation and prostate cancerShuk Mei Ho; Fiscal Year: 2009..Results from our studies should help explicate the relation between inflammation and carcinogenesis in the human prostate, a topic of intense debate. ..
- Preclin. model for prevention of NSCLC in former smokersHILDEGARD SCHULLER; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- MOUSE MODELS TO DELINEATE A UNIQUE METABOLIC AND SKELETAL NETWORKCLIFFORD JAMES ROSEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..genomic region that were involved in both adipocyte and osteoblast differentiation, and we showed two of these, Alox5 and Pparg, not only were suppressed in 6T marrow stromal cells (MSCs) but also carried polymorphisms which ..
- Therapeutic effect of boswellin in prostate cancerYongkui Jing; Fiscal Year: 2005..We hope our proposal will lead to the discovery of a novel complementary agent for prostate cancer treatment. ..
- A role for 5-lipoxyegenase in cocaine's actionsHari Manev; Fiscal Year: 2009..We believe that with limited funding we will be in a position to verify the key components of our concept and to obtain the necessary data to initiate more complex future translational studies. ..
- Impact of Smoking on Lung Cancer ChemopreventionWAUN HONG; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Prostaglandin Synthesis, Genetics and Colorectal CancerCornelia M Ulrich; Fiscal Year: 2010..include PTGS1 and 2, the thromboxane, prostacyclin, PGD2 and PGE2 synthases, the 5, 12- and 15- lipoxygenases (ALOX5, ALOX12 and ALOX15), PGE2 receptors, and glutathione peroxidases...
- Anti-cancer mechanisms of COX/LOX inhibitor licofelone on prostate carcinogenesisNarayanan Narayanan; Fiscal Year: 2009..Considering its excellent safety profile in contrast to the conventional NSAIDs, licofelone offers great potential for preventive interventions in clinical studies for cancer chemoprevention, while minimizing toxicity. ..
- Proposed Role for Neuronal Serotonin N-acetyltransferaseHari Manev; Fiscal Year: 2006..We expect the results to elucidate the role of AANAT/NAS in neuronal functioning, and in the long term, in the pathobiology of depression. ..
- Aging and brain 5-lipoxygenaseHari Manev; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed experiments may corroborate the hypothesis that epigenetic mechanisms are involved in brain aging. ..
- PHARMACOGENETICS OF ASTHMA MONOTHERAPYJohn Lima; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of this pharmacogenetic study may facilitate the optimal selection of monotherapy in asthma. ..
- LEUKOTRIENE POLYMORPHISMS & MONTELUKAST RESPONSEJohn Lima; Fiscal Year: 2003..This information may lead to individualization of asthma medications based on the genetic make-up of the patient. ..
- PREVENTION OF COLORECTAL CANCER BY iNOS AND COX-2 SELECTIVE INHIBITORSCHINTHALAPALLY RAO; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- LUNG CANCER CHEMOPREVENTION WITH CELECOXIB IN EX-SMOKERSJenny Mao; Fiscal Year: 2007..The finding from this pilot project will provide important insight into the design and conduct of future chemopreventive trials. ..
- CANCER AND LEUKEMIA GROUP BMartin Edelman; Fiscal Year: 2002..The grant will also allow for continuation of meritorious pilot protocols and will allow GCC to monitor and collect data which will produce mutual benefit to the GCC and CALGB. ..
- PHASE I TRIALS OF ANTICANCER AGENTSMartin Edelman; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- MECHANISMS FOR CHEMOPREVENTION OF COLON CANCERCHINTHALAPALLY RAO; Fiscal Year: 2004..Tissue distribution and comparative metabolism studies of curcumin and PEMC will be studied with synthetic [3H] curcumin and [3H]-PEMC in vivo in male F-344 rats. ..
- GENES FOR ALCOHOLISM SUSCEPTIBILITYTatiana Foroud; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies will result in more sophisticated genetic analyses of alcoholism related data, as well as the development of optimum sampling designs for more efficient gene identification. ..
- Longitudinal Studies Among At-Risk HD Gene CarriersTatiana Foroud; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Macrophage Death in Plaque VulnerabilityIra Tabas; Fiscal Year: 2005..New insights in this area may suggest new therapeutic strategies to combat cardiovascular disease. ..
- INTERACTION OF ATHEROGENIC LIPOPROTEINS WITH MACROPHAGESIRA A TABAS; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- THE PATHOGENESIS OF AUTOIMMUNITY IN A MURINE MODEL OF PRIMARY BILIARY CIRRHOSISMERRILL E GERSHWIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- REACTIVE NITROGEN & CEREBRAL ISCHEMIC INJURYMUSH KHAN; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- UC4 AP4 Cancer Therapy CenterPaul Bunn; Fiscal Year: 2004..Chan, PI); 2) vaccine/ DNAI/ RNA therapy (R. Garcea, PI); 3) angiogenic inhibitors/ PK/ PD modeling (S.G. Eckhardt, PI); and 4) chemoprevention agents (R. Nemenoff, PI). ..
- PARKINSON DISEASE COLLABORATIVE STUDY OF GENETIC LINKAGETatiana M Foroud; Fiscal Year: 2010..2. Study the role of parkin mutations in Parkinson's disease. 3. Perform molecular studies to identify PD susceptibility genes. 4. Evaluate putative PD susceptibility genes in a case-control sample. ..
- New ECG Criteria for Posterior Myocardial InfarctionShu Fen Wung; Fiscal Year: 2004..This study will aid in the detection and follow-up of patients with posterior myocardial infarction. ..
- GENETIC DETERMINATION OF ACUTE LUNG INJURYGEORGE LEIKAUF; Fiscal Year: 2004..Significance: This investigation seeks to uncover novel genes not previously associated with survival during acute lung injury. Such findings could provide new biological information and insights into this severe clinical condition. ..
- BORAGE OIL AND GINKGO BILOBA (EGb 761) IN ASTHMAMERRILL GERSHWIN; Fiscal Year: 2004..It is hoped that findings from these studies will evolve relatively non-toxic therapeutic alternatives for attenuating bronchial hyperresponsiveness and inflammation in patients with asthma. ..
- ENZYMATIC ACTIVATION OF LIPOPHILIC SIGNALING MOLECULESMarcia Newcomer; Fiscal Year: 2004..The expression of this activity as a fusion protein with lipoxygenase is predicted to facilitate the transfer of the reaction intermediate between catalytic sites. ..
- OPIOID WITHDRAWAL MECHANISMS IN MIDBRAIN NEURONSMacDonald Christie; Fiscal Year: 2002..Identify key adaptations to second messenger systems underlying the changes found in Aim 5) using modulators of second messenger systems and genetically modified mice. ..
- FORM CELL APO (A)/LP(A) RECEPTOR--CLONING AND FUNCTIONIra Tabas; Fiscal Year: 2002..The studies in this proposal will lead to the molecular identification of a novel cholesterol-induced receptor on foam cells and should provide important insight into the role of foam cell-apo(a)/Lp(a) interactions in atherogenesis. ..
- MURINE MODELS OF OCCUPATIONAL COPDGEORGE LEIKAUF; Fiscal Year: 2001..The well-characterized mouse model generated by this proposal will be useful in the further understanding of the relationship between occupational exposures, genetic markers, inflammatory responses, and COPD. ..
- LINOLEIC ACID METABOLISM AND COLON CARCINOGENESISImad Shureiqi; Fiscal Year: 2005..This work will set the stage for future animals and clinical studies of LA alternative pathway modulation as means of colon cancer chemoprevention. ..
- Conference on Cellular Biology of AtherosclerosisIra Tabas; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- PD GWAS ConsortiumTatiana M Foroud; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Growth Factor Protection in Acute Lung InjuryGEORGE LEIKAUF; Fiscal Year: 2009..The name of the principal investigator/program director must be provided at the top of each printed page and each continuation page. RESEARCH GRANT TABLE OF CONTENTS Page Numbers Face Page 1 Description, ..
- Genetic Determinants of Nickel-induced Lung InjuryGEORGE LEIKAUF; Fiscal Year: 2005..Determination of the relative roles of the genetic loci linked to nickel sulfate exposure is likely to improve our understanding of the mechanisms involved in acute lung injury. ..
- A Cross-Cultural Longitudinal Assessment of FASD (U24)Tatiana Foroud; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- GENETIC ANALYSIS OF HIP FRAGILITYTatiana M Foroud; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our goal is to find genetic causes for bone weakening conditions like osteoporosis so better treatments can be developed. ..
- Role of the 5-Lipoxygenase Pathway in AtherosclerosisHooman Allayee; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Regulation of Nuclear Import/Export of 5-LipoxygenaseThomas Brock; Fiscal Year: 2006..This foundation can then be used to elucidate the ways these factors can change and give rise to the disease states that arise from abnormal 5-LO localization and LT synthesis. ..
- Molecular Targeting of 15-Lipoxygenase-1 in Colon CancerImad Shureiqi; Fiscal Year: 2007..the feasibility of tumor selective targeting of 15-LOX-1 to inhibit tumorigenesis will pave the way for future preclinical and clinical development of therapeutic strategies based on molecularly targeting 15-LOX-1 ..
- 5-LOX-1 and Clinical Chemoprevention of Colon TumorsImad Shureiqi; Fiscal Year: 2008..If our hypothesis is confirmed, efforts can be directed to develop chemopreventive interventions that specifically target the GATA-6 and 15-LOX-1 signaling pathway. ..
- Identification of Novel Biomarkers in HDTatiana Foroud; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..