Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ALOX15
Description: arachidonate 15-lipoxygenase
Alias: 12-LOX, 15-LOX, 15-LOX-1, LOG15, arachidonate 15-lipoxygenase, 12/15-lipoxygenase, 15-LOX type 1, 15-lipooxygenase-1, 15-lipoxygenase type 1, arachidonate 12-lipoxygenase, leukocyte-type, arachidonate omega-6 lipoxygenase
- Gulliksson M, Brunnström A, Johannesson M, Backman L, Nilsson G, Harvima I, et al. Expression of 15-lipoxygenase type-1 in human mast cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007;1771:1156-65 pubmed..In conclusion, the expression of 15-LO-1 and release of 15-LO-1 derived products by mast cells may contribute to the role of these cells in asthma and other inflammatory diseases. ..
- Claesson H. On the biosynthesis and biological role of eoxins and 15-lipoxygenase-1 in airway inflammation and Hodgkin lymphoma. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat. 2009;89:120-5 pubmed publisher..The putative therapeutic implications of 15-LO-1 inhibitors in the treatment of asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder and Hodgkin lymphoma are discussed...
- Yoo H, Jeon B, Jeon M, Lee H, Kim T. Reciprocal regulation of 12- and 15-lipoxygenases by UV-irradiation in human keratinocytes. FEBS Lett. 2008;582:3249-53 pubmed publisher..On the basis of our findings, we think that the 15-LOX metabolites may inhibit epidermal hyperplasia in psoriasis by regulating 12-LOX expression. ..
- Claesson H, Griffiths W, Brunnström A, Schain F, Andersson E, Feltenmark S, et al. Hodgkin Reed-Sternberg cells express 15-lipoxygenase-1 and are putative producers of eoxins in vivo: novel insight into the inflammatory features of classical Hodgkin lymphoma. FEBS J. 2008;275:4222-34 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the discovery of the high 15-lipoxygenase-1 activity in L1236 cells demonstrates that this cell line comprises a useful model system to study the chemical and biological roles of 15-lipoxygenase-1. ..
- Ichikawa S, Koller D, Johnson M, Lai D, Xuei X, Edenberg H, et al. Human ALOX12, but not ALOX15, is associated with BMD in white men and women. J Bone Miner Res. 2006;21:556-64 pubmedThe Alox15 gene was recently identified as a negative regulator of peak BMD in mice...
- Cheung C, Chan V, Kung A. A differential association of ALOX15 polymorphisms with bone mineral density in pre- and post-menopausal women. Hum Hered. 2008;65:1-8 pubmedThe 12/15-lipoxygenase gene ALOX15 is reported to be a negative regulator of BMD in knockout mice. Nonetheless results are controversial as over-expression of ALOX15 protects against inflammation-related bone loss...
- Hersberger M, Müller M, Marti Jaun J, Heid I, Coassin S, Young T, et al. No association of two functional polymorphisms in human ALOX15 with myocardial infarction. Atherosclerosis. 2009;205:192-6 pubmed publisher..Screening of the human 15-lipoxygenase (ALOX15) gene detected a polymorphic C to T substitution at position c...
- Zuo X, Morris J, Broaddus R, Shureiqi I. 15-LOX-1 transcription suppression through the NuRD complex in colon cancer cells. Oncogene. 2009;28:1496-505 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results show that NuRD contributes to 15-LOX-1 transcription suppression in colon cancer cells and that HDACIs can inhibit NuRD recruitment to a promoter to activate gene transcription, as in the case of 15-LOX-1. ..
- Assimes T, Knowles J, Priest J, Basu A, Borchert A, Volcik K, et al. A near null variant of 12/15-LOX encoded by a novel SNP in ALOX15 and the risk of coronary artery disease. Atherosclerosis. 2008;198:136-44 pubmed..the hypothesis that exonic and/or promoter single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in the human 12/15-LOX gene (ALOX15) alter the risk of symptomatic coronary artery disease (CAD)...
- Cimen I, Tunçay S, Banerjee S. 15-Lipoxygenase-1 expression suppresses the invasive properties of colorectal carcinoma cell lines HCT-116 and HT-29. Cancer Sci. 2009;100:2283-91 pubmed publisher..We propose that 15-LO-1 expression in CRC might contribute to the inhibition of metastatic capacity in vitro and can be exploited for therapeutic purposes. ..
- Sen M, McHugh K, Hutzley J, Philips B, Dhir R, Parwani A, et al. Orthotopic expression of human 15-lipoxygenase (LO)-1 in the dorsolateral prostate of normal wild-type C57BL/6 mouse causes PIN-like lesions. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat. 2006;81:1-13 pubmed..Thus, our findings demonstrate the effectiveness of this viral system for 15-LO-1 expression studies in tissues. ..
- Il Lee S, Zuo X, Shureiqi I. 15-Lipoxygenase-1 as a tumor suppressor gene in colon cancer: is the verdict in?. Cancer Metastasis Rev. 2011;30:481-91 pubmed publisher..Re-expression of 15-LOX-1 in colon cancer cells can function as an important therapeutic mechanism and could be further exploited to develop novel treatment approaches for this common cancer. ..
- Conrad D, Kuhn H, Mulkins M, Highland E, Sigal E. Specific inflammatory cytokines regulate the expression of human monocyte 15-lipoxygenase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:217-21 pubmed
- Kelavkar U, Wang S, Montero A, Murtagh J, Shah K, Badr K. Human 15-lipoxygenase gene promoter: analysis and identification of DNA binding sites for IL-13-induced regulatory factors in monocytes. Mol Biol Rep. 1998;25:173-82 pubmed..In addition, fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH) results refined the previous localization of 15-LO to human chromosome 17p13.3. ..
- Wittwer J, Marti Jaun J, Hersberger M. Functional polymorphism in ALOX15 results in increased allele-specific transcription in macrophages through binding of the transcription factor SPI1. Hum Mutat. 2006;27:78-87 pubmedThe reticulocyte-type 15-lipoxygenase-1 (ALOX15) has antiinflammatory and inflammatory effects, and is implicated in the development of asthma, arthritis, and atherosclerosis...
- Roy B, Cathcart M. Induction of 15-lipoxygenase expression by IL-13 requires tyrosine phosphorylation of Jak2 and Tyk2 in human monocytes. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:32023-9 pubmed..This occurs as an early and essential signal transduction event for the IL-13-mediated induction of 15-LO expression. These data represent the first characterization of upstream kinases involved in the induced expression of 15-LO. ..
- Zhao J, O Donnell V, Balzar S, St Croix C, Trudeau J, Wenzel S. 15-Lipoxygenase 1 interacts with phosphatidylethanolamine-binding protein to regulate MAPK signaling in human airway epithelial cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:14246-51 pubmed publisher..The results confirm a previously unknown signaling role for 15LO1 and its PE-conjugated eicosanoid product in human airway epithelial cells. This pathway enhances critical inflammatory pathways integral to asthma pathogenesis. ..
- Liu C, Xu D, Han H, Fan Y, Schain F, Xu Z, et al. Transcriptional regulation of 15-lipoxygenase expression by histone h3 lysine 4 methylation/demethylation. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52703 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest that regulation of histone methylation/demethylation at the 15-LOX-1 promoter is important in 15-LOX-1 expression. ..
- Heslin M, Hawkins A, Boedefeld W, Arnoletti J, Frolov A, Soong R, et al. Tumor-associated down-regulation of 15-lipoxygenase-1 is reversed by celecoxib in colorectal cancer. Ann Surg. 2005;241:941-6; discussion 946-7 pubmed..Down-regulation of 15-LOX-1 is an early event in the adenoma to carcinoma sequence, and reversal with celecoxib may represent one mechanism for chemoprevention of polyps or treatment of carcinomas. ..
- Liu C, Schain F, Han H, Xu D, Andersson Sand H, Forsell P, et al. Epigenetic and transcriptional control of the 15-lipoxygenase-1 gene in a Hodgkin lymphoma cell line. Exp Cell Res. 2012;318:169-76 pubmed publisher..These prerequisites are fulfilled in the L1236 cell line, but not in the L428 cell line. ..
- Kelavkar U, Hutzley J, McHugh K, Allen K, Parwani A. Prostate tumor growth can be modulated by dietarily targeting the 15-lipoxygenase-1 and cyclooxygenase-2 enzymes. Neoplasia. 2009;11:692-9 pubmed
- Shureiqi I, Wu Y, Chen D, Yang X, Guan B, Morris J, et al. The critical role of 15-lipoxygenase-1 in colorectal epithelial cell terminal differentiation and tumorigenesis. Cancer Res. 2005;65:11486-92 pubmed..Therefore, 15-LOX-1 down-regulation rather than a shift in the balance of LOXs is likely the dominant alteration in LOX metabolism which contributes to colorectal tumorigenesis by repressing apoptosis. ..
- McCaskie P, Beilby J, Hung J, Chapman C, McQuillan B, Powell B, et al. 15-Lipoxygenase gene variants are associated with carotid plaque but not carotid intima-media thickness. Hum Genet. 2008;123:445-53 pubmed publisher..We examined the role of three single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in the 15-lipoxygenase gene (ALOX15), in atherosclerosis...
- Zhang K, Wang Y, Liu Q, Wang H, Liu F, Ma Z, et al. Two single nucleotide polymorphisms in ALOX15 are associated with risk of coronary artery disease in a Chinese Han population. Heart Vessels. 2010;25:368-73 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to investigate the association of two polymorphisms in ALOX15 and the risk of coronary artery disease (CAD) in a Chinese Han population...
- Weibel G, Joshi M, Alexander E, Zhu P, Blair I, Rothblat G. Overexpression of human 15(S)-lipoxygenase-1 in RAW macrophages leads to increased cholesterol mobilization and reverse cholesterol transport. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2009;29:837-42 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of 15-lipoxygenase-1 (15-LO-1) on cholesterol mobilization from macrophages...
- Kritzik M, Ziober A, Dicharry S, Conrad D, Sigal E. Characterization and sequence of an additional 15-lipoxygenase transcript and of the human gene. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1997;1352:267-81 pubmed..7 kb transcript. In addition, we present here for the first time the cloning and sequence of the human 15-lipoxygenase gene, as well as the identification of regulatory elements in the promoter region of this gene. ..
- Nassar G, Morrow J, Roberts L, Lakkis F, Badr K. Induction of 15-lipoxygenase by interleukin-13 in human blood monocytes. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:27631-4 pubmed..The contrasting effects of interferon-gamma and IL-13 on 15-LO induction demonstrate mechanisms by which T-lymphocyte subsets may modulate macrophage/monocyte function in inflammation or atherosclerosis. ..
- Kelavkar U, Harya N, Hutzley J, Bacich D, Monzon F, Chandran U, et al. DNA methylation paradigm shift: 15-lipoxygenase-1 upregulation in prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia and prostate cancer by atypical promoter hypermethylation. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat. 2007;82:185-97 pubmedFifteen (15)-lipoxygenase type 1 (15-LO-1, ALOX15), a highly regulated, tissue- and cell-type-specific lipid-peroxidating enzyme has several functions ranging from physiological membrane remodeling, pathogenesis of atherosclerosis, ..
- Philips B, Dhir R, Hutzley J, Sen M, Kelavkar U. Polyunsaturated fatty acid metabolizing 15-Lipoxygenase-1 (15-LO-1) expression in normal and tumorigenic human bladder tissues. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2008;16:159-64 pubmed publisher..Our finding of variable 15-LO-1 expression and enzyme activity in bladder tissues suggests a role for 15-LO-1 in bladder carcinogenesis. ..
- Nixon J, Kim K, Lamb P, Bottone F, Eling T. 15-Lipoxygenase-1 has anti-tumorigenic effects in colorectal cancer. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2004;70:7-15 pubmed..These data demonstrate that 13(S)-HODE induces changes in gene expression and has anti-tumorigenic effects. ..
- Viita H, Markkanen J, Eriksson E, Nurminen M, Kinnunen K, Babu M, et al. 15-lipoxygenase-1 prevents vascular endothelial growth factor A- and placental growth factor-induced angiogenic effects in rabbit skeletal muscles via reduction in growth factor mRNA levels, NO bioactivity, and downregulation of VEGF receptor 2 expre. Circ Res. 2008;102:177-84 pubmed..In conclusion, the results suggest that expression of 15-LO-1 has an efficient antiangiogenic effect in vivo via reduction in growth factor mRNA levels, NO bioactivity, and VEGFR2 expression. ..
- Zuo X, Morris J, Shureiqi I. Chromatin modification requirements for 15-lipoxygenase-1 transcriptional reactivation in colon cancer cells. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:31341-7 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that histone modification in the 15-LOX-1 promoter is important to 15-LOX-1 transcriptional silencing in colon cancer cells and that HDACIs can activate gene transcription via KDM3A demethylation of H3K9me2. ..
- Viita H, Pacholska A, Ahmad F, Tietäväinen J, Naarala J, Hyvärinen A, et al. 15-Lipoxygenase-1 induces lipid peroxidation and apoptosis, and improves survival in rat malignant glioma. In Vivo. 2012;26:1-8 pubmed..001). Our results support the pro-apoptotic role of 15-lipoxygenase-1 and suggest that 15-lipoxygenase-1 could be a potential new target gene for the therapy of malignant glioma. ..
- Andersson E, Schain F, Svedling M, Claesson H, Forsell P. Interaction of human 15-lipoxygenase-1 with phosphatidylinositol bisphosphates results in increased enzyme activity. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1761:1498-505 pubmed..Taken together, this report demonstrates that human 15-LO-1 binds to PI(4.5)P(2) and PI(3.4)P(2) and that these phospholipids stimulate enzyme activity in the presence of calcium in a vesicle based assay. ..
- De Armas R, Durand K, Guillaudeau A, Weinbreck N, Robert S, Moreau J, et al. mRNA levels of enzymes and receptors implicated in arachidonic acid metabolism in gliomas. Clin Biochem. 2010;43:827-35 pubmed publisher..mRNA levels of enzymes and receptors implicated both in lipoxygenase and cyclooxygenase pathways differed significantly in gliomas according to the histological type. ..
- Matoso A, Allen D, Herzlinger M, Ferreira J, Chen S, Lu S, et al. Correlation of ALOX15 expression with eosinophilic or reflux esophagitis in a cohort of pediatric patients with esophageal eosinophilia. Hum Pathol. 2014;45:1205-12 pubmed publisher..We recently showed that the ALOX15 protein is expressed in 95% of esophageal biopsies from patients with a definitive diagnosis of EoE...
- Wilkie H, Xu S, Gossner A, Hopkins J. Variable exon usage of differentially-expressed genes associated with resistance of sheep to Teladorsagia circumcincta. Vet Parasitol. 2015;212:206-13 pubmed publisher..RT-qPCR confirmed the microarray data for ALOX15 and IL13...
- Profita M, Sala A, Siena L, Henson P, Murphy R, Paterno A, et al. Leukotriene B4 production in human mononuclear phagocytes is modulated by interleukin-4-induced 15-lipoxygenase. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2002;300:868-75 pubmed..Whereas this effect did not reflect changes in 5-LO and FLAP mRNA expression, synthetic 15(S)-HETE was able to significantly inhibit the synthesis of LTB4, without affecting AA release. ..
- Lei Z, Rao C. The expression of 15-lipoxygenase gene and the presence of functional enzyme in cytoplasm and nuclei of pregnancy human myometria. Endocrinology. 1992;130:861-70 pubmed..These findings suggest that 15-LO/15-HETE may have genomic as well as nongenomic actions, both of which may either initiate and/or facilitate the progression of labor in women. ..
- Kriska T, Cepura C, Siangjong L, Wan T, Auchampach J, Shaish A, et al. Effect of human 15-lipoxygenase-1 metabolites on vascular function in mouse mesenteric arteries and hearts. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat. 2013;106:8-15 pubmed publisher..03 and 3.22 times greater, respectively. These results indicate that h15-LO-1-derived metabolites are highly vasoactive and may play a critical role in regulating coronary blood flow. ..
- Sigal E, Dicharry S, Highland E, Finkbeiner W. Cloning of human airway 15-lipoxygenase: identity to the reticulocyte enzyme and expression in epithelium. Am J Physiol. 1992;262:L392-8 pubmed..Taken together these results suggest that the 15-lipoxygenase of human lung is identical to that of the reticulocyte enzyme and is preferentially expressed in airway epithelium...
- Soler J, Saura P, GarcÃa LÃ³pez D, Masgrau L, Lluch J, GonzÃ¡lez Lafont Ã. How Can Linoleic Acid Be the Preferential Substrate of the Enzyme 15-Lipoxygenase-1? A QM/MM Approach. J Phys Chem B. 2016;120:1950-60 pubmed publisher..Our results also explain why (9Z,11E)-13-hydro(pero)xyoctadeca-9,11-dienoic acid is the major product of the peroxidation and why LA is the preferential substrate of 15-rLOX-1. ..
- Knott E, Gordon W, Jun B, Do K, Bazan N. Retinal Pigment Epithelium and Photoreceptor Preconditioning Protection Requires Docosanoid Signaling. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2018;38:901-917 pubmed publisher..These findings advocate that DHA and docosanoids are protective enablers of PC in photoreceptor and retinal pigment epithelial cells. ..
- Mao F, Wang M, Wang J, Xu W. The role of 15-LOX-1 in colitis and colitis-associated colorectal cancer. Inflamm Res. 2015;64:661-9 pubmed publisher..n-3 Polyunsaturated fatty acids are potent anti-inflammatory and pro-resolution products of 15-LOX-1 that can potentially prevent colitis-associated colorectal cancer and colorectal cancer. ..
- Afek A, Zurgil N, Bar Dayan Y, Polak Charcon S, Goldberg I, Deutsch M, et al. Overexpression of 15-lipoxygenase in the vascular endothelium is associated with increased thymic apoptosis in LDL receptor-deficient mice. Pathobiology. 2004;71:261-6 pubmed..LDL-RD/15-LO mice exhibit increased thymocyte apoptosis both in vivo and in vitro. These findings may suggest a role for 15-LO in the natural selection of thymocytes. ..
- Van Hee V, Adar S, Szpiro A, Barr R, Diez Roux A, Bluemke D, et al. Common genetic variation, residential proximity to traffic exposure, and left ventricular mass: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis. Environ Health Perspect. 2010;118:962-9 pubmed publisher..single-nucleotide polymorphisms (tagSNPs) and inferred haplotypes in 12 candidate genes (ACE, ADRB2, AGT, AGTR1, ALOX15, EDN1, GRK4, PTGS1, PTGS2, TLR4, VEGFA, and VEGFB) on the relationship between residential proximity to major ..
- Burdon K, Rudock M, Lehtinen A, Langefeld C, Bowden D, Register T, et al. Human lipoxygenase pathway gene variation and association with markers of subclinical atherosclerosis in the diabetes heart study. Mediators Inflamm. 2010;2010:170153 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that polymorphisms in ALOX12, ALOX15, ALOX5, and ALOX5AP genes are associated with subclinical atherosclerosis in multiple vascular beds...
- Kelavkar U, Wang S, Badr K. KU 70/80 lupus autoantigen is the transcription factor induced by interleukins (IL)-13 and -4 leading to induction of 15-lipoxygenase (15-LO) in human cells. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2002;507:469-81 pubmed
- Haynes R, van Leyen K. 12/15-lipoxygenase expression is increased in oligodendrocytes and microglia of periventricular leukomalacia. Dev Neurosci. 2013;35:140-54 pubmed publisher..Our data support a role for 12/15-LOX activation as an inflammatory mediator of injury in PVL, with a contribution of 12/15-LOX to PVL-induced damage to or cell death of OLs, including those at the O1 and O4 stages. ..
- SuardÃaz R, Jambrina P, Masgrau L, GonzÃ¡lez Lafont Ã, Rosta E, Lluch J. Understanding the Mechanism of the Hydrogen Abstraction from Arachidonic Acid Catalyzed by the Human Enzyme 15-Lipoxygenase-2. A Quantum Mechanics/Molecular Mechanics Free Energy Simulation. J Chem Theory Comput. 2016;12:2079-90 pubmed publisher..Understanding how these different isoenzymes achieve their regiospecificity is expected to help in specific inhibitor design. ..
- Shi H, Carion T, Jiang Y, Chahine A, Steinle J, Berger E. A regulatory role for ?-adrenergic receptors regarding the resolvin D1 (RvD1) pathway in the diabetic retina. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185383 pubmed publisher..The current study is the first to describe a regulatory role for ?-adrenergic receptors on pro-resolving pathways...
- Cimen I, Astarci E, Banerjee S. 15-lipoxygenase-1 exerts its tumor suppressive role by inhibiting nuclear factor-kappa B via activation of PPAR gamma. J Cell Biochem. 2011;112:2490-501 pubmed publisher..Our data show that the inhibition of both early and late stages of NF-?B activation could rescued by the PPAR? antagonist GW9662 indicating that the inhibition was most likely mediated via PPAR?. ..
- Herlin M, McGuigan F, Luthman H, Ã…kesson K. Polymorphisms in inflammation associated genes ALOX15 and IL-6 are associated with bone properties in young women and fracture in elderly. Bone. 2015;79:105-9 pubmed publisherALOX12 and ALOX15 encode arachidonate lipoxygenases which produce lipid metabolites involved in inflammatory processes...
- Gregus A, Dumlao D, Wei S, Norris P, Catella L, Meyerstein F, et al. Systematic analysis of rat 12/15-lipoxygenase enzymes reveals critical role for spinal eLOX3 hepoxilin synthase activity in inflammatory hyperalgesia. FASEB J. 2013;27:1939-49 pubmed publisher..We detected the following primary intrinsic activities: 12-LOX (Alox12, Alox15), 15-LOX (Alox15b), and HXS (Alox12, Alox15)...
- Kutzner L, Goloshchapova K, Heydeck D, Stehling S, Kuhn H, Schebb N. Mammalian ALOX15 orthologs exhibit pronounced dual positional specificity with docosahexaenoic acid. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Biol Lipids. 2017;1862:666-675 pubmed publisher..Here we expressed the ALOX15 orthologs of eight different mammalian species as well as human ALOX12 and ALOX15B as recombinant his-tag fusion ..
- Rosiak M, Postula M, Kaplon Cieslicka A, Kondracka A, Trzepla E, Zaremba M, et al. Lack of effect of common single nucleotide polymorphisms in leukotriene pathway genes on platelet reactivity in patients with diabetes. Mol Med Rep. 2013;8:853-60 pubmed publisher..The results of our study suggest that certain polymorphisms of the LT pathway are not associated with altered platelet reactivity and the measured LTs in diabetic patients treated with ASA. ..
- Kelavkar U, Cohen C, Kamitani H, Eling T, Badr K. Concordant induction of 15-lipoxygenase-1 and mutant p53 expression in human prostate adenocarcinoma: correlation with Gleason staging. Carcinogenesis. 2000;21:1777-87 pubmed..Based on these and other studies, we propose a model describing a possible role for 15-LO-1 expression in influencing the malignant potential and pathobiological behavior of adenocarcinomas. ..
- Chabane N, Zayed N, Benderdour M, Martel Pelletier J, Pelletier J, Duval N, et al. Human articular chondrocytes express 15-lipoxygenase-1 and -2: potential role in osteoarthritis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2009;11:R44 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that 15-lipoxygenases may have chondroprotective properties by reducing MMP-1 and MMP-13 expression. ..
- Chaitidis P, Kuhn H. Induction of 15-lipoxygenase-1 impairs expression of HIV-1 receptors CD4 and CXCR4 in monocytic cells. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:3691-4 pubmed..Since these surface proteins are essential for the binding of T-tropic HIV-1 strains expression of 15-lipoxygenase1 may confer resistance against HIV infection to monocytic cells. ..
- Zuo X, Shen L, Issa J, Moy O, Morris J, Lippman S, et al. 15-Lipoxygenase-1 transcriptional silencing by DNA methyltransferase-1 independently of DNA methylation. FASEB J. 2008;22:1981-92 pubmed publisher..DNMT-1 has a direct suppressive role in 15-LOX-1 transcriptional silencing that is independent of 15-LOX-1 promoter DNA methylation. ..
- Wecksler A, Jacquot C, van der Donk W, Holman T. Mechanistic investigations of human reticulocyte 15- and platelet 12-lipoxygenases with arachidonic acid. Biochemistry. 2009;48:6259-67 pubmed publisher..3 s(-1) microM(-1)). Considering that the oxygen concentration in cancerous tissue can be less than 5 microM, this result may have cellular implications with respect to the substrate specificity of 15-hLO-1. ..
- Gheorghe K, Korotkova M, Catrina A, Backman L, af Klint E, Claesson H, et al. Expression of 5-lipoxygenase and 15-lipoxygenase in rheumatoid arthritis synovium and effects of intraarticular glucocorticoids. Arthritis Res Ther. 2009;11:R83 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that local therapy with GC decreases 5-LO expression in RA synovium and offer an additional possible mechanism for the efficiency of intraarticular adjuvant therapy in RA. ..
- Gonzalez Lafont A, Saura P, Kaganer I, Heydeck D, Lluch J, Kuhn H. Mutagenesis of sequence determinants of truncated porcine ALOX15 induces changes in the reaction specificity by altering the catalytic mechanism of initial hydrogen abstraction. Chemistry. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Among mammalian ALOX15 orthologs there are arachidonic acid 12- and 15-lipoxygenating enzymes and recent studies suggested an ..
- Kelavkar U, Glasgow W, Eling T. The effect of 15-lipoxygenase-1 expression on cancer cells. Curr Urol Rep. 2002;3:207-14 pubmed..This article is divided into three sections emphasizing the key role of 15-LO-1 in prostate, colorectal, and breast cancers. ..
- Yang H, Zhuo J, Chu J, Chinnici C, Pratico D. Amelioration of the Alzheimer's disease phenotype by absence of 12/15-lipoxygenase. Biol Psychiatry. 2010;68:922-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings support the novel hypothesis that blockade of 12/15LO in the central nervous system by modulating BACE proteolytic pathway could be an effective therapy for prevention or treatment of AD. ..
- Nadel J, Conrad D, Ueki I, Schuster A, Sigal E. Immunocytochemical localization of arachidonate 15-lipoxygenase in erythrocytes, leukocytes, and airway cells. J Clin Invest. 1991;87:1139-45 pubmed..Furthermore, the variable fluorescence among cells (e.g., in epithelium) and during development (e.g., reticulocytes) suggests a role of 15-LO in cell growth and development. ..
- Kratky D, Lass A, Abuja P, Esterbauer H, Kuhn H. A sensitive chemiluminescence method to measure the lipoxygenase catalyzed oxygenation of complex substrates. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1999;1437:13-22 pubmed
- Bhattacharya S, Mathew G, Jayne D, Pelengaris S, Khan M. 15-lipoxygenase-1 in colorectal cancer: a review. Tumour Biol. 2009;30:185-99 pubmed publisher..However, it is still undecided whether the up-regulation of 15-LOX-1 alone can be sufficient to treat colorectal cancer and further studies are awaited. ..