Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ADH4
Description: alcohol dehydrogenase 4 (class II), pi polypeptide
Alias: ADH-2, alcohol dehydrogenase 4, alcohol dehydrogenase class II pi chain, aldehyde reductase
Publications140 found, 100 shown here
- Associations of ADH and ALDH2 gene variation with self report alcohol reactions, consumption and dependence: an integrated analysisStuart Macgregor
Genetic Epidemiology, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Hum Mol Genet 18:580-93. 2009..001) between alcohol consumption phenotypes and rs1693482 (ADH1C), rs1230165 (ADH5) and rs3762894 (ADH4)...
- ADH4 gene variation is associated with alcohol and drug dependence: results from family controlled and population-structured association studiesXingguang Luo
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Pharmacogenet Genomics 15:755-68. 2005We found strong associations between ADH4 gene variation and alcohol and drug dependence by the Hardy-Weinberg Disequilibrium (HWD) test and case-control association analysis in an initial study...
- Association of ADH and ALDH genes with alcohol dependence in the Irish Affected Sib Pair Study of alcohol dependence (IASPSAD) samplePo Hsiu Kuo
Institute of Clinical Medicine, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University Hospital 138, National Cheng Kung University, Sheng Li Road, Tainan 704, Taiwan
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 32:785-95. 2008..The present study examined evidence for the association of alcohol metabolism genes with AD in the Irish Affected Sib Pair Study of alcohol dependence...
- Alcohol dehydrogenase polymorphisms influence alcohol-elimination rates in a male Jewish populationYehuda D Neumark
Braun School of Public Health and Community Medicine, Hebrew University of Jerusalem Hadassah, Jerusalem, Israel
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 28:10-4. 2004..The mechanism by which this allelic effect is mediated is not yet clearly understood. This study examined the effect of ADH2*2 on alcohol-elimination rates (AER) under experimental conditions...
- Personality traits of agreeableness and extraversion are associated with ADH4 variationXingguang Luo
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Biol Psychiatry 61:599-608. 2007..Strong associations between ADH4 variation and SD have been reported...
- Human class II (pi) alcohol dehydrogenase has a redox-specific function in norepinephrine metabolismG Mårdh
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 83:8908-12. 1986..These features and the presence of pi ADH in human liver imply a physiological role for pi ADH in the degradation of circulating epinephrine and norepinephrine...
- ADH single nucleotide polymorphism associations with alcohol metabolism in vivoAndrew J Birley
Genetic Epidemiology Unit, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, PO Royal Brisbane Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland 4029, Australia
Hum Mol Genet 18:1533-42. 2009..SNPs were associated with the early stages of alcohol metabolism, with additional effects in the ADH1A, ADH1B and ADH4 regions...
- Association of genetic variants in alcohol dehydrogenase 4 with alcohol dependence in Brazilian patientsCamila Guindalini
Human Genome Research Center, Department of Biology, Institute of Biosciences, University of Sao Paulo, Rua do Matao, Travessa 13, Number 106, Cidade Universitária CEP 05508 090, Sao Paulo SP, Brazil
Am J Psychiatry 162:1005-7. 2005The authors evaluated the association of three functional promoter polymorphisms of the ADH4 gene with alcohol dependence.
- ADH4 gene variation is associated with alcohol dependence and drug dependence in European Americans: results from HWD tests and case-control association studiesXingguang Luo
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06516, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 31:1085-95. 2006..The ADH4 gene, an important member of this family, is a functional and positional candidate for alcohol dependence...
- Cutaneous metabolism of glycol ethersDavid J Lockley
Skin Toxicology Group, Department of Environmental and Occupational Medicine, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH, UK
Arch Toxicol 79:160-8. 2005..However, ADH1, ADH3 and ADH4 predominate in rat skin, demonstrate different sensitivities to pyrazole, and are responsible for metabolising ..
- The intra- and extracellular proteome of Aspergillus niger growing on defined medium with xylose or maltose as carbon substrateXin Lu
Helmholtz Center for Infection Research, Inhoffenstr, Braunschweig, Germany
Microb Cell Fact 9:23. 2010..13 growing on defined medium with xylose or maltose as carbon substrate was carried out using 2-D gel electrophoresis/Maldi-ToF and nano-HPLC MS/MS...
- Regulation of aflatoxin B1-metabolizing aldehyde reductase and glutathione S-transferase by chemoprotectorsL I McLellan
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, University of Edinburgh, Royal Infirmary, U K
Biochem J 300:117-24. 1994..In addition, the effect of these drugs on the hepatic levels of an aldehyde reductase (AFB1-AR) that metabolizes the cytotoxic dialdehydic form of AFB1 has been studied as this enzyme also ..
- Molecular and metabolic retinoid pathways in the human ocular surfaceHachemi Nezzar
Universite d Auvergne, JE 2447, ARDEMO, France
Mol Vis 13:1641-50. 2007..The second objective was to demonstrate the presence of different enzymes transforming vitamin A to retinoic acid and the functionality of this metabolic pathway in the corneal epithelium...
- Tetrahydrobiopterin is synthesized from 6-pyruvoyl-tetrahydropterin by the human aldo-keto reductase AKR1 family membersTeruhiko Iino
Department of General Studies, Nihon University, Sakurajosui 3 25 40, Setagaya Ku, Tokyo 156 8550, Japan
Arch Biochem Biophys 416:180-7. 2003..by 3 alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2, whereas 1(')-OXPH(4) was produced by aldose reductase, aldehyde reductase, and 20 alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase, and both 1(')-OXPH(4) and 2(')-OXPH(4) were detected as the ..
- Vitamin C. Biosynthesis, recycling and degradation in mammalsCarole L Linster
Universite Catholique de Louvain, Christian de Duve Institute of Cellular Pathology, Brussels, Belgium
FEBS J 274:1-22. 2007..Glucuronate is converted to l-gulonate by aldehyde reductase, an enzyme of the aldo-keto reductase superfamily...
- Inhibition of alcohol dehydrogenase after 2-propanol exposure in different geographic races of Drosophila mojavensis: lack of evidence for selection at the Adh-2 locusEdward Pfeiler
Centro de Investigacion en Alimentacion y Desarrollo, A C, Unidad Guaymas, Apartado Postal 284, Guaymas, Sonora 85480, Mexico
J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol 304:159-68. 2005..ADH-1 activity in female ovaries was inhibited less by 2-propanol than ADH-2. These results do not support the hypothesis that 2-propanol acts as a selective factor favoring the Adh-2F allele...
- Regulation of rat glutathione S-transferase A5 by cancer chemopreventive agents: mechanisms of inducible resistance to aflatoxin B1J D Hayes
Biomedical Research Centre, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, Scotland, UK
Chem Biol Interact 111:51-67. 1998..In addition to GSTA5, we have identified a novel aflatoxin-aldehyde reductase (AFAR) that is similarly induced by ethoxyquin...
- The role of liver alcohol dehydrogenase isoenzymes in the oxidation of glycolethers in male and female ratsL Aasmoe
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University Hospital, University of Tromsø, Norway
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 150:86-90. 1998..However, it was the same ADH isoenzyme (ADH-3) that oxidized the different glycolethers tested in both male and female rat livers, and the substrate specificity was 2-BE > 2-EE > 2-ME...
- Tracing the history of an enzyme polymorphism: the case of alcohol dehydrogenase-2 (Adh-2) of the olive fruit fly Bactrocera oleaeGeorge N Goulielmos
Department of Genetics, Agricultural University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Mol Biol Evol 20:293-306. 2003..The estimated age of the polymorphism is compatible with this hypothesis, but firmer support could be difficult to obtain...
- Resistance to aflatoxin B1 is associated with the expression of a novel aldo-keto reductase which has catalytic activity towards a cytotoxic aldehyde-containing metabolite of the toxinJ D Hayes
Biomedical Research Centre, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 53:3887-94. 1993..Therefore, this inducible enzyme has been designated aflatoxin B1-aldehyde reductase (AFB1-AR)...
- Impaired retinol utilization in Adh4 alcohol dehydrogenase mutant miceL Deltour
Gene Regulation Program, Burnham Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Dev Genet 25:1-10. 1999b>Adh4, a member of the mouse alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) gene family, encodes an enzyme that functions in vitro as a retinol dehydrogenase in the conversion of retinol to retinoic acid, an important developmental signaling molecule...
- Rat liver alcohol dehydrogenase of class III. Primary structure, functional consequences and relationships to other alcohol dehydrogenasesP Julia
Department of Chemistry I, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Biochem 172:73-83. 1988..Finally the class III structure supports evolutionary relationships suggesting that the three classes constitute clearly separate enzymes within the group of mammalian zinc-containing alcohol dehydrogenases...
- Distinct retinoid metabolic functions for alcohol dehydrogenase genes Adh1 and Adh4 in protection against vitamin A toxicity or deficiency revealed in double null mutant miceAndrei Molotkov
Gene Regulation Program, Burnham Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 277:13804-11. 2002The ability of class I alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH1) and class IV alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH4) to metabolize retinol to retinoic acid is supported by genetic studies in mice carrying Adh1 or Adh4 gene disruptions...
- ADH4-lacZ transgenic mouse reveals alcohol dehydrogenase localization in embryonic midbrain/hindbrain, otic vesicles, and mesencephalic, trigeminal, facial, and olfactory neural crestR J Haselbeck
Gene Regulation Program, Burnham Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 22:1607-13. 1998..Herein, we have used transgenic mice to examine the mouse gene encoding class IV ADH (ADH4), an enzyme that is weakly effective as an ethanol dehydrogenase, but highly effective as a retinol dehydrogenase ..
- Polymorphism of the human alcohol dehydrogenase 4 (ADH4) promoter affects gene expressionH J Edenberg
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46202 5122, USA
Pharmacogenetics 9:25-30. 1999The human alcohol dehydrogenase 4 gene (ADH4) encodes the human pi-alcohol dehydrogenase (pi-ADH), which can contribute to ethanol metabolism at moderate and high concentrations of ethanol...
- Human class IV alcohol dehydrogenase: kinetic mechanism, functional roles and medical relevanceShih Jiun Yin
Department of Biochemistry, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Chem Biol Interact 143:219-27. 2003Human alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) constitutes a complex family. Class IV ADH (ADH4) is characteristic in its epithelial expression in the aerodigestive tract and high V(max) and K(m) for oxidation of ethanol...
- Excessive vitamin A toxicity in mice genetically deficient in either alcohol dehydrogenase Adh1 or Adh3Andrei Molotkov
Gene Regulation Program, Burnham Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Eur J Biochem 269:2607-12. 2002..Here, Adh1, Adh3, and Adh4 null mutant mice have been examined following acute and chronic vitamin A excess...
- Characterization of the functional gene encoding mouse class III alcohol dehydrogenase (glutathione-dependent formaldehyde dehydrogenase) and an unexpressed processed pseudogene with an intact open reading frameM H Foglio
La Jolla Cancer Foundation Research Foundation, CA 92037, USA
Eur J Biochem 237:496-504. 1996..Reporter gene expression following transfection into mouse F9 embryonal carcinoma cells indicated that only Adh-2 possesses promoter activity...
- The role of aryl hydrocarbon receptor in regulation of enzymes involved in metabolic activation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in a model of rat liver progenitor cellsJan Vondracek
Department of Cytokinetics, Institute of Biophysics ASCR, Brno, Czech Republic
Chem Biol Interact 180:226-37. 2009..In contrast, the aldehyde reductase AKR1A1 was not induced by either treatment...
- Aldose reductase: an aldehyde scavenging enzyme in the intraneuronal metabolism of norepinephrine in human sympathetic gangliaMinoru Kawamura
Clinical Neurocardiology Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Auton Neurosci 96:131-9. 2002..Although similar formation of DHPG was observed with human liver aldehyde reductase, the production of DHPG was more effective with aldose reductase than aldehyde reductase...
- Quantification of urinary aflatoxin B1 dialdehyde metabolites formed by aflatoxin aldehyde reductase using isotope dilution tandem mass spectrometryDenise N Johnson
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 21:752-60. 2008..This urinary detection of the alcohol products directly contributes to the goal of mass balancing the fate of the bioreactive 8,9-epoxides of AFB 1 in vivo...
- Characterization of the rat aflatoxin B1 aldehyde reductase gene, AKR7A1. Structure and chromosomal localization of AKR7A1 as well as identification of antioxidant response elements in the gene promoterElizabeth M Ellis
Department of Bioscience and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow G1 1XW, UK
Carcinogenesis 24:727-37. 2003Rat aflatoxin B(1) aldehyde reductase (called AFAR1 or AKR7A1) is a member of the aldo-keto reductase 7 family, which metabolizes the environmental carcinogen aflatoxin B(1)...
- Novel homodimeric and heterodimeric rat gamma-hydroxybutyrate synthases that associate with the Golgi apparatus define a distinct subclass of aldo-keto reductase 7 family proteinsVincent P Kelly
Biomedical Research Centre, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, Scotland, UK
Biochem J 366:847-61. 2002The aldo-keto reductase (AKR) 7 family is composed of the dimeric aflatoxin B(1) aldehyde reductase (AFAR) isoenzymes. In the rat, two AFAR subunits exist, designated rAFAR1 and rAFAR2...
- Aldose reductase in human retinal pigment epithelial cellsS Sato
Laboratory of Ocular Therapeutics, National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892
Exp Eye Res 57:235-41. 1993..In addition to aldose reductase, chromatofocusing demonstrated the presence of aldehyde reductase, another NADPH-dependent reductase...
- Isolation and characterization of cloned cDNAs encoding human liver chlordecone reductaseC J Winters
Department of Medicine, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond 23298
Biochemistry 29:1080-7. 1990..The deduced protein sequence of CDR showed 65% similarity to the primary structure of human liver aldehyde reductase and 66% similarity to the inferred protein sequence of rat lens aldose reductase...
- Molecular cloning and expression of an abundant rabbit ovarian protein with 20 alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activityW R Lacy
Department of Cell Biology, Baylor College of Medicine Houston, Texas 77030
Mol Endocrinol 7:58-66. 1993..to human chlordecone reductase, bovine lung prostaglandin F synthase, human aldose reductase, human aldehyde reductase, and frog lens rho-crystallin, placing rabbit ovarian 20 alpha HSD in the aldo-keto reductase family of ..
- Enzymes in pancreatic islets that use NADP(H) as a cofactor including evidence for a plasma membrane aldehyde reductaseM Laclau
University of Wisconsin Childrens Diabetes Center, Madison, USA
Mol Cell Biochem 225:151-60. 2001..Significant activities of glutathione reductase, aldose reductase (EC.184.108.40.206) and aldehyde reductase (EC.220.127.116.11) were present in islets...
- Enzymes of glycerol and glyceraldehyde metabolism in mouse liver: effects of caloric restriction and age on activitiesKevork Hagopian
Department of Molecular Biosciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Biosci Rep 28:107-15. 2008..Aldehyde dehydrogenase and aldehyde reductase activities in both young and old CR mice were unchanged by caloric restriction...
- Cloning of the human aflatoxin B1-aldehyde reductase gene at 1p35-1p36.1 in a region frequently altered in human tumor cellsC Praml
Division of Cytogenetics, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Heidelberg, Germany
Cancer Res 58:5014-8. 1998..a gene encoding a protein of 330 amino acids that is 78% identical with the Rattus norvegicus aflatoxin B1 aldehyde reductase (Afar) and, therefore, likely represents its human homologue...
- Purification and characterization of human testis aldose and aldehyde reductaseT Tanimoto
Division of Biological Chemistry, National Institute of Hygienic Sciences, Tokyo, Japan
Int J Biochem 23:421-8. 19911. Aldose reductase and aldehyde reductase were purified to homogeneity from human testis. 2...
- Protection against aflatoxin B1-induced cytotoxicity by expression of the cloned aflatoxin B1-aldehyde reductases rat AKR7A1 and human AKR7A3Sridevi Bodreddigari
Department of Biology and W Harry Feinstone Center for Genomic Research, University of Memphis, Memphis, Tennessee 38152, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 21:1134-42. 2008..B 1 (AFB 1) dialdehyde metabolite to its corresponding mono and dialcohols, catalyzed by aflatoxin B 1-aldehyde reductase (AFAR, rat AKR7A1, and human AKR7A3), is greatly increased in livers of rats treated with numerous ..
- Alcohol dehydrogenases in Xenopus development: conserved expression of ADH1 and ADH4 in epithelial retinoid target tissuesI Hoffmann
Gene Regulation Program, Burnham Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Dev Dyn 213:261-70. 1998Mammalian alcohol dehydrogenases ADH1 (class I ADH) and ADH4 (class IV ADH) function as retinol dehydrogenases contributing to the synthesis of retinoic acid, the active form of vitamin A involved in growth and development...
- Characterization of the serotoninergic system in the C57BL/6 mouse skinAndrzej Slominski
Department of Pathology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN, USA
Eur J Biochem 270:3335-44. 2003..acid, probably through stepwise transformation catalyzed by monoamine oxidase, aldehyde dehydrogenase and aldehyde reductase. Activity of the melatonin-forming enzyme hydroxyindole-O-methyltransferase was notably below detectable ..
- Transgenic expression of aflatoxin aldehyde reductase (AKR7A1) modulates aflatoxin B1 metabolism but not hepatic carcinogenesis in the ratBill D Roebuck
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755, USA
Toxicol Sci 109:41-9. 2009..These results imply that the prevention of protein adducts mediated by AKR are not critical to protection against AFB(1) tumorigenicity...
- Isolation of a set of genes expressed in the choroid plexus of the mouse using suppression subtractive hybridizationN Matsumoto
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Yoshida konoe cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Neuroscience 117:405-15. 2003..gelsolin, phospholipid transfer protein, ATP-binding cassette transporter A8 (ABCA8), androgen-inducible aldehyde reductase, and Na(+)/sulfate cotransporter SUT-1...
- Biosynthesis of podophyllotoxin in Linum album cell culturesVeronique Seidel
Natural Products Research, Faculty of Applied Sciences, De Montfort University, The Gateway, Leicester LEI 9BH, UK
Planta 215:1031-9. 2002..Electronic supplementary material to this paper can be obtained by using the Springer LINK server located at http://dx.doi.org/wo.1007/s00425-002-0834-1...
- Purification and characterization of a novel cytosolic NADP(H)-dependent retinol oxidoreductase from rabbit liverD Y Huang
Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Kagawa Medical University, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1338:47-59. 1997..This enzyme exhibits relatively broad aldehyde reductase activity and some ketone reductase activity, the activity for aromatic substitutive aldehydes being ..
- A novel aldehyde reductase with activity towards a metabolite of aflatoxin B1 is expressed in rat liver during carcinogenesis and following the administration of an anti-oxidantD J Judah
MRC Toxicology Unit, Carshalton, Surrey, U K
Biochem J 292:13-8. 1993In contrast with fractions from control animals, an aldehyde reductase, which catalyses the reduction of aflatoxin B1-dihydrodiol, in the dialdehyde form at physiological pH values, to aflatoxin B1-dialcohol, is expressed in cytosolic ..
- Cloning and expression of two novel aldo-keto reductases from Digitalis purpurea leavesIsabel Gavidia
Center of Plant Molecular Biology ZMBP, University of Tubingen, Germany
Eur J Biochem 269:2842-50. 2002..proteins present high identities (68-80%) with four Arabidopsis clones and a 67% identity with the aldose/aldehyde reductase from Medicago sativa...
- Escherichia coli YqhD exhibits aldehyde reductase activity and protects from the harmful effect of lipid peroxidation-derived aldehydesJose Manuel Perez
Laboratorio de Microbiologia Molecular, Departamento de Biologia, Facultad de Quimica y Biologia, Universidad de Santiago de Chile, Santiago 9170019, Chile
J Biol Chem 283:7346-53. 2008..We speculate that in Escherichia coli YqhD is part of a glutathione-independent, NADPH-dependent response mechanism to lipid peroxidation...
- Structural similarity of bovine lung prostaglandin F synthase to lens epsilon-crystallin of the European common frogK Watanabe
Hayaishi Bioinformation Transfer Project, Kyoto Laboratory, Research Development Corporation of Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 85:11-5. 1988..that bovine lung PGF synthase shows 62% identical plus conservative substitutions compared with human liver aldehyde reductase [Wermuth, B., Omar, A., Forster, A., Francesco, C., Wolf, M., Wartburg, J.P., Bullock, B. & Gabbay, K.H...
- Proteomic analysis of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma compared with normal adjacent pancreatic tissue and pancreatic benign cystadenomaYazhou Cui
Key Laboratory of Ministry of Health for Biotech Drug, Shandong Medicinal Biotechnology Center, Shandong Academy of Medical Sciences, Jinan, PR China
Pancreatology 9:89-98. 2009..Dual expression of potential biomarkers in both benign and malignant pancreatic tumors was a major obstacle in the development of diagnostic biomarkers of early pancreatic cancer...
- Carbonyl reductases and pluripotent hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases of the short-chain dehydrogenase/reductase superfamilyFrank Hoffmann
Institute of Toxicology and Pharmacology for Natural Scientists, University Medical School Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel, Brunswiker Strasse, Kiel, 10, 24105, Germany
Drug Metab Rev 39:87-144. 2007..Whereas aldehyde reductase and aldose reductase are AKRs, several forms of carbonyl reductase belong to the SDRs...
- Aldose reductase from human psoas muscle. Affinity labeling of an active site lysine by pyridoxal 5'-phosphate and pyridoxal 5'-diphospho-5'-adenosineN A Morjana
Department of Biochemistry, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
J Biol Chem 264:2912-9. 1989..the essential lysine was found to be highly homologous with a segment of the sequence of both human liver aldehyde reductase and rat lens aldose reductase...
- Molecular cloning and expression of rat liver 3 alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenaseK C Cheng
Department of Pediatrics Cornell University Medical College, New York, New York 10021
Mol Endocrinol 5:823-8. 1991..other enzymes, including bovine prostaglandin F synthase, human chlordecone reductase, human aldose reductase, human aldehyde reductase, and frog lens epsilon-crystalline, suggesting that these proteins belong to the same gene family.
- Metyrapone reductase purified partially from liver microsomes of male rats: the enzyme differs from acetohexamide reductaseY Imamura
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kumamoto University, Japan
Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol 96:219-26. 1997..The substrate specificities were in fair agreement with those of carbonyl reductase. However, the partially purified enzyme was strongly inhibited by inhibitors of aldehyde reductase, such as barbital, phenobarbital and sodium valproate.
- Developmental expression and function of aldehyde reductase in proximal tubules of the kidneyOleg A Barski
Harry B and Aileen Gordon Diabetes Research Laboratory, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 289:F200-7. 2005b>Aldehyde reductase reduces a wide variety of toxic and physiological aldehydes with a marked preference for negatively charged substrates such as glucuronate...
- Polyol formation in cell lines of rat retinal capillary pericytes and endothelial cells (TR-rPCT and TR-iBRB)Peter F Kador
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Nebraska Medical Center, 986025 Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 6025, USA
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 25:299-308. 2009....
- Molecular cloning of rat liver 3α-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase and identification of structurally related proteins from rat lung and kidneyK C Cheng
Department of Pediatrics, Cornell University Medical College, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 43:1083-8. 1992..such as bovine prostaglandin F synthase, human chlordecone reductase, human aldose reductase, human aldehyde reductase and frog lens epsilon-crystallin, suggesting that these proteins belong to the same gene family...
- High-resolution structure of AKR1a4 in the apo form and its interaction with ligandsFrédérick Faucher
Department of Biomedical and Molecular Sciences, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6, Canada
Acta Crystallogr Sect F Struct Biol Cryst Commun 68:1271-4. 2012Aldo-keto reductase 1a4 (AKR1a4; EC 18.104.22.168) is the mouse orthologue of human aldehyde reductase (AKR1a1), the founding member of the AKR family. As an NADPH-dependent enzyme, AKR1a4 catalyses the conversion of D-glucuronate to L-gulonate...
- Comparative proteomics of skeletal muscle mitochondria from myostatin-null miceJonathan Puddick
Department of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science and Engineering, The University of Waikato, Private Bag 3105, Hamilton, New Zealand
Cell Biol Int Rep (2010) 18:e00013. 2011..This protein, having a sequence similar to that of aldehyde reductase, was up-regulated in myostatin-null mitochondria, but its importance was not established, although it might ..
- Influence of broccoli extract and various essential oils on performance and expression of xenobiotic- and antioxidant enzymes in broiler chickensKristin Mueller
Institute of Agricultural and Nutritional Sciences, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Halle Saale, Germany
Br J Nutr 108:588-602. 2012..SFN, Cuo and Ro increased the expression of xenobiotic enzymes (epoxide hydrolases 1 and 2 and aflatoxin B1 aldehyde reductase) and of the antioxidant enzyme haeme oxygenase regulated by an 'antioxidant response element' (ARE) compared ..
- Benzo(a)pyrene induces hepatic AKR1A1 mRNA expression in tilapia fish (Oreochromis niloticus)Citlalli Osorio-Yáñez
Departamento de Toxicologia, Centro de Investigacion y de Estudios Avanzados del IPN, San Pedro Zacatenco, Mexico City, Mexico
Toxicol Mech Methods 22:438-44. 2012AKR1A1 or aldehyde reductase is a member of the aldo-keto reductases superfamily that is evolutionarily conserved among species...
- Glyoxylate metabolism is a key feature of the metabolic degradation of 1,4-dioxane by Pseudonocardia dioxanivorans strain CB1190Ariel Grostern
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, California, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 78:3298-308. 2012..Plasmid-borne genes for putative aldehyde dehydrogenases, an aldehyde reductase, and an alcohol oxidoreductase were also induced during growth with dioxane...
- Enzymatic conversion of prostaglandin H2 to prostaglandin F2 alpha by aldehyde reductase from human liver: comparison to the prostaglandin F synthetase from bovine lungH Hayashi
Hayaishi Bioinformation Transfer Project, Research Development Corporation of Japan
J Biol Chem 264:1036-40. 1989..structure of prostaglandin (PG) F synthetase from bovine lung shows 62% similarity with that of human liver aldehyde reductase (EC 22.214.171.124) (Watanabe, K., Fujii, Y., Nakayama, K., Ohkubo, H., Kuramitsu, S., Kagamiyama, H., Nakanishi, S...
- DNA damage activates transcription and transposition of yeast Ty retrotransposonsV A Bradshaw
Department of Biological Chemistry, UCLA School of Medicine
Mol Gen Genet 218:465-74. 1989..Transposition of Ty elements to two target loci encoding distinct alcohol dehydrogenase enzymes, ADH2 and ADH4, was examined in cells exposed to increasing doses of UV light or 4NQO...
- Role of extrahepatic alcohol dehydrogenase in rat ethanol metabolismM D Boleda
Department de Bioquimica i Biologia Molecular, Facultat de Ciencies, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Bellaterra, Spain
Arch Biochem Biophys 274:74-81. 1989..4 microM) and indicate that at the usual concentration of inhibitor only ADH-3 activity will be effectively suppressed. ADH-1 will be, therefore, responsible in part for the residual ethanol oxidation activity in pyrazole-treated rats...
- Influence of the immunization against heterologous alcohol dehydrogenase on liver alcohol dehydrogenase isozymes and alcohol abuse of ratsA V Pshezhetsky
A N Belozersky Institute of Physico Chemical Biology, Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia
Eur J Biochem 212:757-61. 1993..These results allow us to assume an important role of rat liver ADH-3 in the mechanism of alcohol addiction...
- Proteomic changes of PC12 cells treated with proteasomal inhibitor PSILei Zhang
Department of Neurology, The First Hospital, Jilin University, Changchun 130021, China
Brain Res 1153:196-203. 2007..glucose-regulated protein (GRP94), heat shock 70 kDa protein 5 (GRP78), heat shock 27 kDa protein 1 (Hsp27), aldehyde reductase 1 (aldose reductase), p47 protein and beta-galactoside-binding lectin (galectin-1)...
- Activity variation in alcohol dehydrogenase paralogs is associated with adaptation to cactus host use in cactophilic DrosophilaLuciano M Matzkin
Department of Ecology and Evolution, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York 11794 5245, USA
Mol Ecol 14:2223-31. 2005..Both functional and sequence variation within and between paralogs suggests that Adh has played an important role in the adaptation of D. mojavensis and D. arizonae to their cactophilic life...
- Salivary amylase induction by tannin-enriched diets as a possible countermeasure against tanninsG da Costa
ITQB Instituto de Tecnologia Química e Biológica, Oeiras, Portugal
J Chem Ecol 34:376-87. 2008..One isoform of alpha-amylase was overexpressed with both types of tannins. Aldehyde reductase was only identified in saliva of the quebracho group...
- Prevalidation of potential protein biomarkers in toxicology using iTRAQ reagent technologyMatthias Glückmann
Applied Biosystems, Mass Spectrometry and Proteomics, Darmstadt, Germany
Proteomics 7:1564-74. 2007..g. placental form of glutathione S-transferase (GST-P), carbonic anhydrase, and aflatoxin B1 aldehyde reductase. Our results show both the usefulness of iTRAQ reagent technology for biomarker prevalidation as well as for ..
- Age-related changes in activity of enzymes catalyzing oxidation-reduction of endogenous aldehydes in the liver of rats during immobilization stressV V Davydov
Laboratory of Age Specific Endocrinology and Metabolism, Institute of Child and Adolescent Health Protection, Academy of Medical Sciences, Kharkov
Bull Exp Biol Med 141:17-9. 2006Activities of aldehyde dehydrogenase and aldehyde reductase in the liver 1.5-, 12-, and 24-month-old rats were measured after 30-min immobilization...
- Solid-phase translation and RNA-protein fusion: a novel approach for folding quality control and direct immobilization of proteins using anchored mRNAManish Biyani
Rational Evolutionary Design of Advanced Biomolecules, Saitama Small Enterprise Promotion Corporation SKIP City, 3 12 18 Kamiaoki, Kawaguchi, Saitama 333 0844, Japan
Nucleic Acids Res 34:e140. 2006..production of immobilized green fluorescent protein (GFP) on microbeads and by the production and assay of aldehyde reductase (ALR) enzyme with 4-fold or more activity...
- Xenobiotic-Metabolizing gene polymorphisms and ovarian cancer riskEllen L Goode
Department of Health Sciences Research, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Mol Carcinog 50:397-402. 2011..956 of serous sub-type) and controls (N = 2046) from three studies were genotyped at 11 SNPs in EPHX1, ADH4, ADH1A, NQO2, NAT2, GSTP1, CYP1A1, and NQO1, following an initial SNP screen in a subset of participants...
- Characterization of the structure and evolution of the Adh region of Drosophila hydeiM Menotti-Raymond
Department of Biology, Syracuse University, New York 13224
Genetics 127:355-66. 1991..hydei pseudogene is transcribed and the transcript is processed in a complex manner. An intron of greater than 6.2 kb exists between the first "coding" exon and an upstream exon which is approximately 250 nucleotides in length...
- A common telomeric gene silencing assay is affected by nucleotide metabolismMarlies P Rossmann
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724, USA
Mol Cell 42:127-36. 2011..imbalance in ribonucleotide reductase (RNR), which is induced by 5-FOA, and the specific promoter of URA3 fused to ADH4 at telomere VII-L are jointly responsible for the variegated phenotype...
- A root proteomics-based insight reveals dynamic regulation of root proteins under progressive drought stress and recovery in Vigna radiata (L.) WilczekDebashree Sengupta
Photosynthesis and Plant Stress Biology Laboratory, Department of Plant Sciences, School of Life Sciences, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad 500046, India
Planta 233:1111-27. 2011..Oxidative stress-related proteins including Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase, oxidoreductase and aldehyde reductase were also up-regulated...
- Differential protein expression in honeybee (Apis mellifera L.) larvae: underlying caste differentiationJianke Li
Key Laboratory of Pollinating Insect Biology, Department of Beekeeping and Biotechnology, Ministry of Agriculture, Institute of Apicultural Research, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Science, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 5:e13455. 2010..Specifically, at 72 hours, queen intended larvae over-expressed transketolase, aldehyde reductase, and enolase proteins which are involved in carbohydrate metabolism and energy production, imaginal disc ..
- Proteomics of cauda epididymal fluid from mature Holstein bullsArlindo A Moura
Department of Animal Science, Federal University of Ceara, Brazil
J Proteomics 73:2006-20. 2010..N-acetyl-β-glucosaminidase, cauxin, glutathione peroxidase, acidic seminal fluid protein (aSFP), aldehyde reductase, α-l-fucosidase, α-1-β-glycoprotein, apolipoprotein A-1, β actin, calmodulin, cathepsin D, cystatin E/M, ..
- Transcriptional activation of the aldehyde reductase YqhD by YqhC and its implication in glyoxal metabolism of Escherichia coli K-12Changhan Lee
Department of Biological Sciences, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Yuseong Gu, Daejeon, Republic of Korea
J Bacteriol 192:4205-14. 2010..Therefore, we propose that YqhC is a transcriptional activator of YqhD, which acts as an aldehyde reductase with specificity for certain aldehydes, including GO.
- Association of alcohol dehydrogenase genes with alcohol-related phenotypes in a Native American community sampleIan R Gizer
Department of Psychological Sciences, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 35:2008-18. 2011....
- Mechanism of human aldehyde reductase: characterization of the active site pocketO A Barski
Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Biochemistry 34:11264-75. 1995Human aldehyde reductase is a NADPH-dependent aldo-keto reductase that is closely related (65% identity) to aldose reductase, an enzyme involved in the pathogenesis of some diabetic and galactosemic complications...
- Discovery of [3-(4,5,7-trifluoro-benzothiazol-2-ylmethyl)-pyrrolo[2,3-b]pyridin-1-yl]acetic acids as highly potent and selective inhibitors of aldose reductase for treatment of chronic diabetic complicationsMichael C Van Zandt
The Institute for Diabetes Discovery, LLC, 23 Business Park Drive, Branford, CT 06405, USA
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 19:2006-8. 2009..acid example 16, inhibits aldose reductase with an IC50 of 8 nM, while being inactive against aldehyde reductase (IC50>100 microM), a related enzyme involved in the detoxification of reactive aldehydes.
- Medium- and short-chain dehydrogenase/reductase gene and protein families : Medium-chain and short-chain dehydrogenases/reductases in retinoid metabolismX Pares
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Bellaterra, Spain
Cell Mol Life Sci 65:3936-49. 2008..ADH1 and ADH2 are the major MDR enzymes in liver retinol detoxification, while ADH3 (less active) and ADH4 (most active) participate in RA generation in tissues...
- Tissue expression pattern of class II and class V genes found in the Adh complex on mouse chromosome 3Gabor Szalai
Department of Biological Sciences, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
Biochem Genet 46:685-95. 2008..The expression patterns at the mRNA level of the mouse Adh4 (class II) gene and the recently identified Adh6a and Adh6b genes (class V) are now reported to complete this ..
- Merging the binding sites of aldose and aldehyde reductase for detection of inhibitor selectivity-determining featuresHolger Steuber
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Philipps University Marburg, Marbacher Weg 6, 35032 Marburg, Germany
J Mol Biol 379:991-1016. 2008..bioavailability, putative inhibitors should possess a high level of selectivity for ALR2 over the related aldehyde reductase (ALR1)...
- [Research on associations between selected polymorphisms of genes DRD2, 5HTT, GRIK3, ADH4 and alcohol dependence syndrome]Elzbieta Grochans
Samodzielna Pracownia Propedeutyki Pielegniarstwa PUM w Szczecinie
Psychiatr Pol 45:325-35. 2011..Alcohol abuse is a complex multifactorial disease. It is believed that alcohol dependence is mostly caused by genetic (40-50%) and environmental (50-60%) factors...
- Rearrangement of upstream regulatory elements leads to ectopic expression of the Drosophila mulleri Adh-2 geneD Falb
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138
Genetics 132:1071-9. 1992..The ectopic expression pattern is dependent on the proximity of at least two sequence elements. Thus, tissue-specific transcription can involve complex proximity-dependent interactions among combinations of regulatory elements...
- Unusual variability of the Drosophila melanogaster ref(2)P protein which controls the multiplication of sigma rhabdovirusP Dru
Laboratoire de Genetique des Virus, CNRS, Gif sur Yvette, France
Genetics 133:943-54. 1993..The effects of this high variability on the ref(2)P protein are discussed in relation to its specific antiviral properties and to its function in D. melanogaster, where it is required for male fertility...
- The Drosophila alcohol dehydrogenase gene may have evolved independently of the functionally homologous medfly, olive fly, and flesh fly genesS Brogna
Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Research Center of Crete, Foundation for Research and Technology, Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Mol Biol Evol 18:322-9. 2001..To explain this unexpected finding, it is proposed that the ADH: genes of the family Drosophilidae may not be orthologous to the ADH: genes of the other two families, Tephritidae and Sarcophagidae...
- Expression of genes for alcohol and aldehyde metabolizing enzymes in mouse oocytes and preimplantation embryosUjjwal Kumar Rout
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, C S Mott Center for Human Growth and Development, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 275 East Hancock, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Reprod Toxicol 16:253-8. 2002..The absence of enzymes to convert ethanol to acetaldehyde, coupled with oocyte expression of the acetaldehyde-degrading enzyme, Ahd-5, may be protective for the early embryo...
- Enhancement of Ty transposition at the ADH4 and ADH2 loci in meiotic yeast cellsG Ribeiro dos Santos
Department of Biochemistry and Applied Molecular Biology, UMIST, Manchester, UK
Mol Gen Genet 254:555-61. 1997..We have found that Ty transposition at the ADH4 and ADH2 loci is not only active, but 50-fold more frequent in meiotic yeast than in mitotic cells...
- NADPH-dependent reductases and polyol formation in human leukemia cell linesSanai Sato
Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Oklahoma, PO Box 26901, BSEB 331, Oklahoma City, OK 73190 3048, USA
Chem Biol Interact 143:363-71. 2003..In myelocytic leukemia cells, the major reductase was aldehyde reductase, and levels of aldose reductase were extremely low...
- Inhibition of aldehyde reductase by acidic metabolites of the biogenic aminesA J Turner
Biochem Pharmacol 24:1731-3. 1975
- Cytosolic retinoid dehydrogenases govern ubiquitous metabolism of retinol to retinaldehyde followed by tissue-specific metabolism to retinoic acidGregg Duester
Onco Developmental Biology Program, Burnham Institute, 10901 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Chem Biol Interact 143:201-10. 2003..and a growth defect that can be rescued by dietary retinol supplementation, whereas the effect of a loss of ADH1 or ADH4 is noticed only in mice subjected to vitamin A excess or deficiency, respectively...
- Aldose reductase inhibitorsM Oka
Central Research Laboratory, Sanwa Kagaku Kenkyusho Co, Ltd, Mie, Japan
J Enzyme Inhib 16:465-73. 2001..the following potencies of AR inhibitors: in vitro activities for AR, in vitro selectivities between AR and aldehyde reductase, their pharmacological effects in vivo, and their effectiveness in clinical trials...
- Aldose reductase: a window to the treatment of diabetic complications?M J Crabbe
Wolfson Laboratory, Division of Cell and Molecular Biology, School of Animal and Microbial Sciences, University of Reading, Whiteknights, Berks, UK
Prog Retin Eye Res 17:313-83. 1998..We have yet to determine whether aldose reductase is the black sheep of the aldehyde reductase family, or whether it is a skeleton in the cupboard, waiting to be clothed in the flesh of new revelations ..
- Catalytic reaction profile for NADH-dependent reduction of aromatic aldehydes by xylose reductase from Candida tenuisPeter Mayr
Division of Biochemical Engineering, Institute of Food Technology, University of Agricultural Sciences Vienna BOKU, Muthgasse 18, Austria
Biochem J 366:889-99. 2002..and dual NADPH/NADH-specific yeast xylose reductases and across two aldo/keto reductase families in spite of the phylogenetic separation of the host organisms producing xylose reductase (family 2B) and aldehyde reductase (family 1A).
- Mammalian alcohol dehydrogenases--a comparative investigation at gene and protein levelsJan Olov Höög
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Chem Biol Interact 191:2-7. 2011..The transcriptional order for the ADH genes in all mammalian genomes is the same (ADH4-ADH1-ADH6-ADH5-ADH2-ADH3), but the cluster is found on different chromosomes in different species...
- Androgen-regulated expression of a novel member of the aldo-keto reductase superfamily in regrowing rat prostateN Nishi
Department of Endocrinology, Faculty of Medicine, Kagawa Medical University, Japan
Endocrinology 141:3194-9. 2000..the former a new member of the rat aldo-keto reductase superfamily that is closely related to aflatoxin, B1 aldehyde reductase has been identified...
- Alcohol-Metabolizing Gene Variation, Lipids, Hemostatic Factors and CVDKelly Volcik; Fiscal Year: 2007..sixteen functional and/or non-synonymous variants in the class I and II alcohol dehydrogenase genes (ADH1B, ADH1C, ADH4), the aldehyde dehydrogenase genes (ALDH1, ALDH2) and the cytochrome P4502E1 gene (CYP2E1), all of which are ..
- Protein Modification by 3,4-DihydroxyphenylacetaldehydeJONATHAN DOORN; Fiscal Year: 2006..metabolized primarily to an acid via mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) but also to an alcohol by aldehyde reductase (ALR). Recent work implicates oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation products, e.g...
- ALDO-KETO REDUCTASES AS PART OF CHEMICAL STRESS RESPONSEOleg Barski; Fiscal Year: 2002..Recently it was shown that ethoxyquin and antiobiotic tunicamycin also induce aldehyde reductase, another member of the aldo-keto reductase family...
- ALCOHOL METABOLISM GENES IN TRANSGENIC MICEMichael Felder; Fiscal Year: 2007..alcohol-induced liver damage Distal cis-linked sequence in a BAC clone will direct expression of Adh1 in liver and Adh4 in stomach No sequence directing liver expression of any human class I ADH gene is known...
- Molecular Mechanisms of Multistage CarcinogenesisTREVOR PENNING; Fiscal Year: 2006..Project # 1 (Dr. Penning) will compare the roles of human aldehyde reductase (AKR1A1), CYP1A1/CYP1B1, and CYP-peroxidase in the metabolic activation of PAH using a stable expression ..
- CARDIAC METABOLISM OF ENALSARUNI BHATNAGAR BHATNAGAR; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our studies show that in the heart enals are metabolized by aldose reductase (AR), aldehyde reductase, and glutathione-S-transferases...
- CARDIAC METABOLISM OF ENALSAruni Bhatnagar; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our studies show that in the heart enals are metabolized by aldose reductase (AR), aldehyde reductase, and glutathione-S-transferases...
- INTRACELLULAR GLYCATION AND DIABETIC COMPLICATIONSMichael Brownlee; Fiscal Year: 2000..The activities of aldehyde reductase, aldose reductase, dihydrodiol dehydrogenase and glyoxalase I will be assessed in primary Muller cells...
- Electrostatics and Dynamics in ProteinsSTEVEN BOXER; Fiscal Year: 2009..probe time-averaged and time-dependent electric fields in several enzymes: human aldose reductase and human aldehyde reductase (Sub-Aim 1A), both important to the control of diabetes, and ketosteroid isomerase (Sub-Aim 1B)...
- Electrostatics and Dynamics in ProteinsSteven G Boxer; Fiscal Year: 2010..probe time-averaged and time-dependent electric fields in several enzymes: human aldose reductase and human aldehyde reductase (Sub-Aim 1A), both important to the control of diabetes, and ketosteroid isomerase (Sub-Aim 1B)...
- ALDOSE REDUCTASE AND DIABETIC COMPLICATIONSSATISH SRIVASTAVA; Fiscal Year: 1993..In addition, all the ARIs presently known inhibit both AR and aldehyde reductase, and both enzymes have overlapping substrate specificities...
- Vibrational Stark Effect in Human Aldose ReductaseLAUREN WEBB; Fiscal Year: 2007..One key to finding strong inhibitors of hALR2 that do not also bind to a structurally similar protein, human aldehyde reductase (hALR1), is to measure the electrostatic field of the inhibitor binding site...
- Enzyme & Receptor Antagonists of GHB, GBL & 1, 4-BDLawrence Quang; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results of this study will expand upon promising data from pilot studies performed in this laboratory on acute 1,4-BD and GHB toxicity as well as novel therapeutic agents for its potential medical management. ..
- Alopecia and Ulcerative Dermatitis in B6 MiceJohn Sundberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..B6 mice are naturally hypomorphic for alcohol dehydrogenase 4 (Adh4), which may be involved in detoxifying vitamin A metabolites resulting in these enzyme expression ..
- Diet, gene-diet interactions and risk of Parkinson'sHonglei Chen; Fiscal Year: 2004..NHS cohorts, he will evaluate the associations of PD risk with common polymorphisms of NAT2, CYP1A2, ADH2, ADH3, ADH4, and MTHFR...
- Alcohol in Israel: Genetic and Environmental EffectsDeborah Hasin; Fiscal Year: 2007..ADH3 and promoters of ADH4 and ALDH2 will also be studied. Psychiatric comorbidity, religiosity and trauma will be assessed and controlled...
- ALDO/KETO REDUCTASES AND DIABETIC COMPLICATIONSKENNETH GABBAY; Fiscal Year: 2001DESCRIPTION (Adapted from applicant's abstract): Aldose and aldehyde reductase are closely related members of the aldo-keto reductase superfamily...
- Generation of Retinoid Signals during DevelopmentGregg Duester; Fiscal Year: 2005..Also, we will identify the novel RA-generating enzymes expressed in the neural tube and heart and begin genetic studies on them. ..
- GENETIC DISSECTION OF ALCOHOL/RETINOL METABOLIC PATHWAYSGregg Duester; Fiscal Year: 2002..3) Prepare and ALDH-I knockout mouse plus mice mutated for one or more ADHs and ALDH-I, then analyze their phenotype as above. ..