Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: zuc
Alias: CG12314, Dmel\CG12314, MitoPLD, ZUC, Zuc, zucchini, CG12314-PA, zuc-PA
Species: fruit fly
- Chambeyron S, Popkova A, Payen Groschêne G, Brun C, Laouini D, Pelisson A, et al. piRNA-mediated nuclear accumulation of retrotransposon transcripts in the Drosophila female germline. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:14964-9 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that piRNAs are involved in a posttranscriptional gene-silencing mechanism resulting in RNA nuclear accumulation. ..
- Saito K, Ishizu H, Komai M, Kotani H, Kawamura Y, Nishida K, et al. Roles for the Yb body components Armitage and Yb in primary piRNA biogenesis in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2010;24:2493-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, piRNA loading is required for Piwi nuclear entry. We propose that a functional Piwi-piRNA complex is formed and inspected in Yb bodies before its nuclear entry to exert transposon silencing. ..
- Kolaczkowski B, Hupalo D, Kern A. Recurrent adaptation in RNA interference genes across the Drosophila phylogeny. Mol Biol Evol. 2011;28:1033-42 pubmed publisher..Our observations suggest a predictive model of how selective pressures generated by evolutionary arms race scenarios may affect multiple genes across protein interaction networks and other biochemical pathways. ..
- Olivieri D, Sykora M, Sachidanandam R, Mechtler K, Brennecke J. An in vivo RNAi assay identifies major genetic and cellular requirements for primary piRNA biogenesis in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2010;29:3301-17 pubmed publisher..and identified the RNA helicase Armitage, the Tudor domain containing RNA helicase Yb and the putative nuclease Zucchini as essential factors for primary piRNA biogenesis...
- Klenov M, Sokolova O, Yakushev E, Stolyarenko A, Mikhaleva E, Lavrov S, et al. Separation of stem cell maintenance and transposon silencing functions of Piwi protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:18760-5 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the Piwi function in GSC self-renewal is independent of transposon repression and is normally realized in the cytoplasm of GSC niche cells. ..
- Huang H, Li Y, Szulwach K, Zhang G, Jin P, Chen D. AGO3 Slicer activity regulates mitochondria-nuage localization of Armitage and piRNA amplification. J Cell Biol. 2014;206:217-30 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, AGO3 acts in conjunction with the mitochondria-associated protein Zucchini to control the dynamic subcellular localization of Armitage between mitochondria and nuage in a Slicer-dependent ..
- Gell S, Reenan R. Mutations to the piRNA pathway component aubergine enhance meiotic drive of segregation distorter in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2013;193:771-84 pubmed publisher..The data herein demonstrate that mutations to piRNA pathway components act as enhancers of SD. ..
- Han B, Wang W, Li C, Weng Z, Zamore P. Noncoding RNA. piRNA-guided transposon cleavage initiates Zucchini-dependent, phased piRNA production. Science. 2015;348:817-21 pubmed publisher..The ping-pong pathway increases only the abundance of piRNAs, whereas production of phased primary piRNAs from cleaved transposon RNAs adds sequence diversity to the piRNA pool, allowing adaptation to changes in transposon sequence. ..
- Murota Y, Ishizu H, Nakagawa S, Iwasaki Y, Shibata S, Kamatani M, et al. Yb integrates piRNA intermediates and processing factors into perinuclear bodies to enhance piRISC assembly. Cell Rep. 2014;8:103-13 pubmed publisher..We suggest that Yb is a key upstream factor in the cytoplasmic phase of the piRNA pathway in ovarian somatic cells. ..
- Simkin A, Wong A, Poh Y, Theurkauf W, Jensen J. Recurrent and recent selective sweeps in the piRNA pathway. Evolution. 2013;67:1081-90 pubmed publisher..We speculate that selection on these proteins reflects crucial roles in silencing unfamiliar elements during vertical and horizontal transmission of TEs into naïve populations and species, respectively. ..
- Mohn F, Handler D, Brennecke J. Noncoding RNA. piRNA-guided slicing specifies transcripts for Zucchini-dependent, phased piRNA biogenesis. Science. 2015;348:812-817 pubmed publisher..Phasing results from consecutive endonucleolytic cleavages catalyzed by Zucchini, implying coupled formation of 3' and 5' ends of flanking piRNAs...
- Rogers A, Situ K, Perkins E, Toth K. Zucchini-dependent piRNA processing is triggered by recruitment to the cytoplasmic processing machinery. Genes Dev. 2017;31:1858-1869 pubmed publisher..In Drosophila, processing of pre-piRNAs is initiated by piRNA-guided Slicer cleavage or the endonuclease Zucchini (Zuc)...
- Zhang Y, Liu X, Bai J, Tian X, Zhao X, Liu W, et al. Mitoguardin Regulates Mitochondrial Fusion through MitoPLD and Is Required for Neuronal Homeostasis. Mol Cell. 2016;61:111-24 pubmed publisher..MIGA proteins function downstream of mitofusin and interact with MitoPLD to stabilize MitoPLD and facilitate MitoPLD dimer formation...
- Hermant C, Boivin A, Teysset L, Delmarre V, Asif Laidin A, van den Beek M, et al. Paramutation in Drosophila Requires Both Nuclear and Cytoplasmic Actors of the piRNA Pathway and Induces Cis-spreading of piRNA Production. Genetics. 2015;201:1381-96 pubmed publisher..and trans-silencing capacities of the paramutated cluster depend on the function of the rhino, cutoff, and zucchini genes involved in primary piRNA biogenesis in the germline, as well as on that of the aubergine gene implicated ..
- Bozzetti M, Fanti L, Di Tommaso S, Piacentini L, Berloco M, Tritto P, et al. The "Special" crystal-Stellate System in Drosophila melanogaster Reveals Mechanisms Underlying piRNA Pathway-Mediated Canalization. Genet Res Int. 2012;2012:324293 pubmed publisher..In particular, we illustrate the finding that HSP90 participates in the molecular pathways of piRNA production. This observation has relevance for the mechanisms underlying the evolutionary canalization process. ..
- Wilson J, Connell J, Schlenker J, Macdonald P. Novel genetic screen for genes involved in posterior body patterning in Drosophila. Dev Genet. 1996;19:199-209 pubmed..These defects are distinct from previously described perturbations in oskar activity and provide new insights into the regulation of oskar. ..
- Petit M, Mongelli V, Frangeul L, Blanc H, Jiggins F, Saleh M. piRNA pathway is not required for antiviral defense in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E4218-27 pubmed publisher..Following virus infection, the survival and viral titers of Piwi, Aubergine, Argonaute-3, and Zucchini mutant flies were similar to those of wild type flies...
- Obbard D, Gordon K, Buck A, Jiggins F. The evolution of RNAi as a defence against viruses and transposable elements. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2009;364:99-115 pubmed publisher..Over longer time scales, key RNAi genes are repeatedly duplicated or lost across the metazoan phylogeny, with important implications for RNAi as an immune defence. ..
- Voigt F, Reuter M, Kasaruho A, Schulz E, Pillai R, Barabas O. Crystal structure of the primary piRNA biogenesis factor Zucchini reveals similarity to the bacterial PLD endonuclease Nuc. RNA. 2012;18:2128-34 pubmed publisher..A Phospholipase D-like protein, Zucchini, that is essential for piRNA processing has been proposed to be a nuclease acting in piRNA biogenesis...
- Muliyil S, Krishnakumar P, Narasimha M. Spatial, temporal and molecular hierarchies in the link between death, delamination and dorsal closure. Development. 2011;138:3043-54 pubmed publisher..They highlight the importance of mitochondrial dynamics and tissue mechanics in its regulation. Together, they provide novel insights into how apoptotic signals can be deployed to pattern tissues. ..
- Yu Y, Gu J, Jin Y, Luo Y, Preall J, Ma J, et al. Panoramix enforces piRNA-dependent cotranscriptional silencing. Science. 2015;350:339-42 pubmed publisher..We have named CG9754 "Panoramix," and we propose that this protein could act as an adaptor, scaffolding interactions between the piRNA pathway and the general silencing machinery that it recruits to enforce transcriptional repression. ..
- Fablet M, Akkouche A, Braman V, Vieira C. Variable expression levels detected in the Drosophila effectors of piRNA biogenesis. Gene. 2014;537:149-53 pubmed publisher..We showed that these genes exhibited wide variation in transcript levels, and we discuss some evolutionary considerations regarding the observed variability in TE copy numbers...
- Todeschini A, Teysset L, Delmarre V, Ronsseray S. The epigenetic trans-silencing effect in Drosophila involves maternally-transmitted small RNAs whose production depends on the piRNA pathway and HP1. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11032 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that mutations in squash and zucchini, which are involved in the piwi-interacting RNA (piRNA) silencing pathway, strongly affect TSE...
- Huang H, Gao Q, Peng X, Choi S, Sarma K, Ren H, et al. piRNA-associated germline nuage formation and spermatogenesis require MitoPLD profusogenic mitochondrial-surface lipid signaling. Dev Cell. 2011;20:376-87 pubmed publisher..The Drosophila MitoPLD homolog Zucchini (Zuc), a proposed cytoplasmic nuclease, is required for piRNA generation, a critical event in germline ..
- Dennis C, Zanni V, Brasset E, Eymery A, Zhang L, Mteirek R, et al. "Dot COM", a nuclear transit center for the primary piRNA pathway in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e72752 pubmed publisher..Our results provide new insights into the initial steps of the piRNA pathway, and open up a new research area important for a complete understanding of this conserved pathway. ..
- Gupte T. Mitochondrial Fragmentation Due to Inhibition of Fusion Increases Cyclin B through Mitochondrial Superoxide Radicals. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0126829 pubmed publisher..Our results provide an insight into the need for mitofusin-degradation during mitosis and also help in understanding the mechanism by which mitofusins may function as tumor suppressors. ..
- Muliyil S, Narasimha M. Mitochondrial ROS regulates cytoskeletal and mitochondrial remodeling to tune cell and tissue dynamics in a model for wound healing. Dev Cell. 2014;28:239-52 pubmed publisher..They identify a pathway triggered by ROS and mediated by the Rho effector ROCK and its substrates that influences tissue patterning and homeostasis through the coordinate regulation of both mitochondrial morphology and tissue tension. ..
- Vagin V, Yu Y, Jankowska A, Luo Y, Wasik K, Malone C, et al. Minotaur is critical for primary piRNA biogenesis. RNA. 2013;19:1064-77 pubmed publisher..We have named this new biogenesis factor Minotaur. ..
- Stefanov Y, Salenko V, Glukhov I. Drosophila errantiviruses. Mob Genet Elements. 2012;2:36-45 pubmed
- Fukuhara S, Nishimasu H, Bonnefond L, Matsumoto N, Ishitani R, Nureki O. Expression, purification, crystallization and preliminary X-ray crystallographic analysis of Zucchini from Drosophila melanogaster. Acta Crystallogr Sect F Struct Biol Cryst Commun. 2012;68:1346-50 pubmed publisher..b>Zucchini (Zuc), a phospholipase D superfamily member, is conserved among animals and is implicated in piRNA biogenesis...