Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: woc
Description: without children
Alias: CG5965, Dmel\CG5965, WOC, Woc, without children, CG5965-PA, CG5965-PB, CG5965-PC, CG5965-PD, CG5965-PE, with out children, woc-PA, woc-PB, woc-PC, woc-PD, woc-PE
Species: fruit fly
- Talamillo A, Sánchez J, Cantera R, Pérez C, Martin D, Caminero E, et al. Smt3 is required for Drosophila melanogaster metamorphosis. Development. 2008;135:1659-68 pubmed publisher..In summary, our study indicates that Smt3 is required for the ecdysteroid synthesis pathway at the time of puparium formation. ..
- Burgio G, Cipressa F, Ingrassia A, Cenci G, Corona D. The histone deacetylase Rpd3 regulates the heterochromatin structure of Drosophila telomeres. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:2041-8 pubmed publisher..Our work suggests that Drosophila telomere structure is epigenetically regulated by the histone deacetylase Rpd3. ..
- Maimon I, Popliker M, Gilboa L. Without children is required for Stat-mediated zfh1 transcription and for germline stem cell differentiation. Development. 2014;141:2602-10 pubmed publisher..Here we show that the chromatin and telomere-binding factor Without children (Woc) is required for maintaining the association of escort cells (ECs) with germ cells in adult ovaries...
- Hackney J, Zolali Meybodi O, Cherbas P. Tissue damage disrupts developmental progression and ecdysteroid biosynthesis in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e49105 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that developmental delays induced by tissue damage are associated with decreased expression of genes involved in ecdysteroid synthesis and signaling. ..
- Xiang Y, Liu Z, Huang X. br regulates the expression of the ecdysone biosynthesis gene npc1. Dev Biol. 2010;344:800-8 pubmed publisher..These results imply that ecdysone could potentially act through its early response gene br to achieve positive feedback regulation of ecdysone biosynthesis during development. ..
- Parvy J, Blais C, Bernard F, Warren J, Petryk A, Gilbert L, et al. A role for betaFTZ-F1 in regulating ecdysteroid titers during post-embryonic development in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Biol. 2005;282:84-94 pubmed..reduced in ftz transcription factor 1 (ftz-f1) mutant ring gland cells whereas there was no effect of the without children (woc) mutation, suggesting that FTZ-F1 regulates phm and dib expression...
- Ross B, Rosin L, Thomae A, Hiatt M, Vermaak D, de la Cruz A, et al. Stepwise evolution of essential centromere function in a Drosophila neogene. Science. 2013;340:1211-4 pubmed publisher..Our evolutionary cell biology approach provides temporal and mechanistic detail about how young genes gain essential function. Such innovations may constantly alter the repertoire of centromeric proteins in eukaryotes...
- Abel J, Eskeland R, Raffa G, Kremmer E, Imhof A. Drosophila HP1c is regulated by an auto-regulatory feedback loop through its binding partner Woc. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5089 pubmed publisher..Indeed, we found that HP1c interacts with the DNA binding factors Woc and Row and requires Woc to become targeted to chromatin in vivo...
- Cipressa F, Romano S, Centonze S, zur Lage P, Vernì F, Dimitri P, et al. Effete, a Drosophila chromatin-associated ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme that affects telomeric and heterochromatic position effect variegation. Genetics. 2013;195:147-58 pubmed publisher..Eff is enriched at several euchromatic bands and interbands, the TAS regions, and the chromocenter. Our results suggest that Eff associates with different types of chromatin affecting their abilities to regulate gene expression. ..
- Morgunova V, Akulenko N, Radion E, Olovnikov I, Abramov Y, Olenina L, et al. Telomeric repeat silencing in germ cells is essential for early development in Drosophila. Nucleic Acids Res. 2015;43:8762-73 pubmed publisher..Dysfunction of transcription factors Woc and Trf2, as well as RNA-binding protein Ars2, also results in the accumulation of excessively polyadenylated HeT-A ..
- Pahi Z, Kiss Z, Komonyi O, Borsos B, Tora L, Boros I, et al. dTAF10- and dTAF10b-Containing Complexes Are Required for Ecdysone-Driven Larval-Pupal Morphogenesis in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0142226 pubmed publisher..We propose that distinct forms of dTFIID and/or dSAGA exist during Drosophila metamorphosis, wherein different TAF compositions serve to target RNAPII at different developmental stages and tissues. ..
- Valzania L, Ono H, Ignesti M, Cavaliere V, Bernardi F, Gamberi C, et al. Drosophila 4EHP is essential for the larval-pupal transition and required in the prothoracic gland for ecdysone biosynthesis. Dev Biol. 2016;410:14-23 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results uncover a novel essential function for 4EHP in regulating ecdysone biosynthesis. ..
- Cenci G, Ciapponi L, Marzullo M, Raffa G, Morciano P, Raimondo D, et al. The Analysis of Pendolino (peo) Mutants Reveals Differences in the Fusigenic Potential among Drosophila Telomeres. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005260 pubmed publisher..Alternatively, it is possible that Peo plays a dual function being independently required for DNA replication and telomere capping. ..
- Raffa G, Cenci G, Ciapponi L, Gatti M. Organization and Evolution of Drosophila Terminin: Similarities and Differences between Drosophila and Human Telomeres. Front Oncol. 2013;3:112 pubmed publisher..fusion in flies include HP1, Eff/UbcD1, ATM, the components of the Mre11-Rad50-Nbs (MRN) complex, and the Woc transcription factor...